New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGirl

Default Webcomics with adventure and a bit of romance?

Hi! I'm pretty new to the webcomics scene and I'm looking for a few recommendations. If anyone could help out, I'd be super grateful!

I like my webcomics with plenty of adventure and some romance (too much kinda kills it in my opinion). I'm not a fan of gore, but action works too. Other than that, I like fantasy, historical fiction, science fiction, steampunk, semi-realistic art.

Oh, and here's a few webcomics I've read and liked:

And here's a few webcomics I'm planning to read soon:

Thanks in advance! :D

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Webcomics with adventure and a bit of romance?

Phoenix Requiem is a good choice. It's more of a supernatural mystery than an adventure, but it does have a good romance in it. Also of note, it's a finished story, so you can read the whole thing at once and not have to worry about the next update. While not as polished, the same author also wrote Inverloch, which is more of a fantasy adventure, and also completed.

You might also like Derelict, which is a science fiction story, but the biggest romance so far is between the main character and her boat.

Unsounded is a pretty good fantasy adventure, though it does occasionally contain some disturbing gore.

Cucumber Quest is a cute adventure story. If you've ever played the Paper Mario games, it's basically that if it were a webcomic.

Lackadaisy Cats is historical fiction of the prohibition 20's era St. Louis, if everyone were cats. Be warned though, as this comic updates very rarely, and once you run out of story, you might have to wait awhile. To give you an idea, the last update was September 21, 2014.

What Birds Know is an adventure fantasy about three friends who go on a camping trip away from their village and then bad things happen. I think the authors have also stated that it's nearing completion, so now is a good time to catch up.

Oh, and then there's Gunnerkrigg Court, one of my top favorites, which is about a girl in a UK boarding school, and her mysterious dealings with robots, mythological figures, and the court itself.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGirl

Thanks for all the recommendations! I'll definitely be adding them to my reading list. ^^

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Girl Genius definitely!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralCheez View Post
    Unsounded is a pretty good fantasy adventure, though it does occasionally contain some disturbing gore.
    Unsounded has romance ? Aren't most romantically involved people usually dead? Duanne is undead (his wife possibly as well), so is Quiggley's wife. The only real romance is Ana and the big guy. And possibly Captain Toma and that female subordinate.

Also, yes, lots of gore. It'll probably get worse soon, because blood eels + Zombi Duanne + rift in leylines + Markoph = carnage.
    Last edited by -D-; 2015-01-21 at 04:06 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    Unsounded has romance ? Aren't most romantically involved people usually dead? Duanne is dad (his wife possibly as well), so is Quiggley's wife. The only real romance is Ana and the big guy. And possibly Captain Toma and that female subordinate.

Also, yes, lots of gore. It'll probably get worse soon, because blood eels + Zombi Duanne + rift in leylines + Markoph = carnage.
    I don't think I said there was romance, just that it was an adventure story. Actually, most of the ones I listed are really light on the romance, if there is any at all.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Seconding the recommendations for Lackadaisy Cats and Gunnerkrigg Court! And also for Girl Genius (which, to give a little more detail, is an adventure story with ridiculously lush artwork set in a steampunk-ish alternate Europe ruled entirely by mad scientists.)

A few more:

Widdershins: a series of mystery/adventure stories set in a version of 1830s England that combines emotion-based magic with technology. Updates M-W-F, I think; the first four stories are finished, and the fifth seems to be getting close.

Flaky Pastry: what you might get if you took a weirder-than-usual version of a classic fantasy setting and let it evolve to modern day. Very creative and funny. The story has lots of action and magical/technological mishaps, with a bit of very cute romance. Updates every Friday.

Stand Still, Stay Silent: this is… technically post-apocalyptic fantasy/horror, I suppose; the characters are silly enough to keep the story from getting too dark, though there's still an undertone of creepiness. The balance of light and dark is a lot of what I like about it, actually, as well as the beautiful artwork. The same author also has a finished comic, A Redtail's Dream, which is about a boy and his dog and various creatures from Finnish folklore. (No romance in either comic, though it's probably too early to tell yet for SSSS; plenty of adventure, though.) Updates five days a week.

Digger: a wombat accidentally digs a tunnel to a strange land inhabited by talking statues, warrior hyenas, oracular slugs, and all sorts of other weirdness - some of it much more serious and menacing - that she has to deal with while trying to find a way home. This is another comic that balances light and dark very well, in both the story and the woodcut-like black-and-white artwork. Again, no romance to speak of, but plenty of adventure. It's finished, so you can read the whole thing online.

Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant: a 19th-Century adventure story about the swashbuckling Delilah Dirk and a lieutenant who gets swept up in the chaos that follows wherever she goes, despite the fact that he'd really rather spend his time making tea. Some of the most beautiful art I've seen in any comic. The story is finished, but I think only the first half is still available online - you now have to buy the book to read the second half.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Ever View Post
    webcomics .. looking for a few recommendations .. webcomics with plenty of adventure and some romance .. fantasy, historical fiction, ..
    Gastrophobia - The real-life adventures of the exiled Amazon warrior Phobia and her son Gastro, living in Ancient Greece, roughly 3408 years ago.

Not exactly "greek", or "historic", and quite some measure of silliness thrown in
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I was also going to mention Widdershins.

Fey Winds is also a very good story with a dash of romance/emotional goodness.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

My favourite webcomic is Daly Grind:

http://pandora.xepher.net/daily/

The drawing is atrocious (presumably it's easier to draw that way, it comes out two pages a day, Monday to Friday), but the story telling is good. All the characters are animals, about half of then scaly or chitinous, but even so there is romance, though you might be happier not thinking too much about that.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Seconding Widdershins, Phoenix Requiem and Flaky Pastry! I'll also throw in Snow By Night as another historical fantasy.

I also really enjoyed No Rest for the Wicked though it stopped without finishing the story. But it's a really cool, creepy reimagining of some well-known fairy tales.

Oh, and Fox Sister! The romance takes up quite a lot of screentime compared to some of the other recommendations, but it's just such an often-overlooked gem that I have to include it.

And I think I'm now obligated to include my own comic Genre Unsavvy which is vastly inferior to everything above, but hey, it's a sci-fi adventure, so...
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

To second some other people's recommendations, in order of most to least romance:

Girl Genius is the first thing that comes to mind: It fits your criteria to a tee. (to a T? I don't really know that expression). Anyway, it's got plenty of adventure and its fair share of romance subplots.

Gunnerkrigg Court is adventure / mystery, with lots of mythological references. It's got some romance as well, but less than Girl Genius. (About the same amount as Oots - ish? Maybe a bit more? As mentioned before, it's about teenagers in a boarding school, so romance happens) If you aren't impressed by the artwork in the first few chapters, then don't worry: It quickly improves.

Widdershins is a good read. I just reread the first storyline earlier today when I should have been studying. There's a smidge of romance between the two protagonists, but not a lot.

Unsounded is an absolutely fantastic fantasy adventure story but doesn't have much romance to speak of.

A comic that hasn't been mentioned above is Homestuck. Homestuck is about four thirteen-year-old internet friends who play a reality-altering videogame together. Homestuck's sort of a comedy / fantasy / sci-fi / adventure comic. It doesn't really have much romance at first (unless you count shipping fuel as romance), but more comes up as you progress through the comic. It's a lot more-text heavy than most other comics because it uses chatlogs instead of of speech balloons. I would recommend it if you enjoyed the type of humour in Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
    Awesome Edward Elric avatar by gurgleflep!
    Let's Watch Steins;Gate!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Most of the comics I would've suggested have already been mentioned, Widdershins is quite good (albeit the romantic relationship stuff is at a minimum right now.). Am I the only one who thinks of "romance" more in the classic sense than in the lovey-dovey sense when I read the word?
    Last edited by Neoriceisgood; 2015-02-09 at 04:40 AM.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

smile Re: Webcomics with adventure and a bit of romance?

I'll go ahead and add the nifty Sluggy Freelance. It's a long-running comic (updating ~daily since 1997!), which has put the main characters through adventures in everything from ancient history to techo-dystopias to parodies of Alien, though it's mostly set in modern day. It's basically a single story, with a number of smaller, semi-self-contained arcs. Like any story that long, it's had its ups and downs, but I think some of the high points (Fire & Rain, Oceans Unmoving) are some of the best webcomic stories out there. Check out the new viewer's guide here.

Also, +1 to Girl Genius.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Randomguy View Post
    A comic that hasn't been mentioned above is Homestuck. Homestuck is about four thirteen-year-old internet friends who play a reality-altering videogame together. Homestuck's sort of a comedy / fantasy / sci-fi / adventure comic. It doesn't really have much romance at first (unless you count shipping fuel as romance), but more comes up as you progress through the comic. It's a lot more-text heavy than most other comics because it uses chatlogs instead of of speech balloons. I would recommend it if you enjoyed the type of humour in Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
    All mentions of Homestuck must come with a warning about the 7000+ pages, some of which have more then a page of text or a 2-10 minute long animation/game. That said, every one of them is full of hilarious adventure and as for romance... Let's just say it takes things to a whole other level.