New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Goblins XIV: Clerical Omission.

Here's a more accurate one:
    Spoiler
    Show
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

2. - Top - End - #632
    Titan in the Playground

It appears that having sought help has already had an affect on Thunt. The comic seems less bloody than usual.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Janus View Post
    Found a parody of Goblins (censored for the forum):
    Spoiler
    Show

Commence agreeing/lauding/disagreeing/angrying/ignoring
    Love it. and the accurate comic one too.

Both remind me of what Goblins is all about.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    I'm not particularly impressed...
    Me neither. There is 'parody of X', and there is 'mockery of X', the former requiring a degree of humor independent of 'X sucks, look at how much X sucks amirite gaiz'.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I have no arguments against the points that the parody brings up, I just simply don't find it funny. At all.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ettin in the Playground

THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

7. - Top - End - #637
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Thunt seems more like the type of person to pretend he likes it, while secretly taking it to heart, brooding over it for months, and letting it slowly eat away at him inside.

Also, can I just point out how incredibly poor taste it is to take jabs at a person who is now known to be going through a serious mental breakdown?

8. - Top - End - #638
    Titan in the Playground

If he didn't genuinely find it amusing, why bring attention to it? Better to just ignore it if that was the case.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Also, can I just point out how incredibly poor taste it is to take jabs at a person who is now known to be going through a serious mental breakdown?
    That picture is far older than the breakdown.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    If he didn't genuinely find it amusing, why bring attention to it? Better to just ignore it if that was the case.
    I don't know, but he's certainly shown himself to be very sensitive to criticism in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    That picture is far older than the breakdown.
    I was referring more to posting it now. To be honest, I was one of the most critical people towards Thunt on the thread...but doing so when we now know he has a legitimate problem seems to be in poor taste.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I was referring more to posting it now. To be honest, I was one of the most critical people towards Thunt on the thread...but doing so when we now know he has a legitimate problem seems to be in poor taste.
    I saw it as more to do with the comic than Thunt himself. I'm certainly not his biggest fan, but I've got nothing personal against the guy himself.

As for funniness itself- meh, it's mostly a quick smirk and soft chuckle for me. To each their own, though (some people liked Erfworld, after all).
    Last edited by Janus; 2014-06-18 at 05:37 PM.

12. - Top - End - #642
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I saw it as more to do with the comic than Thunt himself. I'm certainly not his biggest fan, but I've got nothing personal against the guy himself.

As for funniness itself- meh, it's mostly a quick smirk and soft chuckle for me. To each their own, though (some people liked Erfworld, after all).
    A lot of people still do. The creator, on the other hand...

13. - Top - End - #643

There are times when a creator's behavior has turned me off of his work. Orson Scott Card and Frank Miller would be examples of such. (I'll avoid discussing what they did, but those familiar with them can likely guess what sorts of things I'm talking about.)

Thunt hasn't done anything close to that. Sure, he made some promises and didn't keep them, but he was going through a bad patch, and it's not personal. I can relate.

All of which is to say: if/when the comic returns, I'm at least interested enough to have a look at the website from time to time again. I've been reading this comic for close to a decade. I have a lot of affection for many of the characters, and I want to see what happens.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Titan in the Playground

I liked Erfworld more when it was on this site and less on the new site area.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    There are times when a creator's behavior has turned me off of his work. Orson Scott Card and Frank Miller would be examples of such. (I'll avoid discussing what they did, but those familiar with them can likely guess what sorts of things I'm talking about.)

Thunt hasn't done anything close to that. Sure, he made some promises and didn't keep them, but he was going through a bad patch, and it's not personal. I can relate.

All of which is to say: if/when the comic returns, I'm at least interested enough to have a look at the website from time to time again. I've been reading this comic for close to a decade. I have a lot of affection for many of the characters, and I want to see what happens.
    Yeah, I liked Erfworld well enough, but the author's constant kickstarters and the blaming other people for perpetually failing to deliver on his promises was bad enough for me to give it up.

Goblins on the other hand...it has its issues, but you can always tell that Thunt is trying his best to be professional and deliver a good product.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2014-06-19 at 12:18 AM.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Regarding Thunt liking that comic,

Thunt's always come across to me as very open to parodies of his work and the like. I don't see any reason to assume he'd be lying about liking it.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

17. - Top - End - #647
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    A lot of people still do. The creator, on the other hand...
    He doesn't like Erfworld?

Right now, I am simply hoping for THunt's full recovery. He seems like a nice guy who likes to highlight his own flaws. As for the comic, there's just to wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

18. - Top - End - #648

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    He doesn't like Erfworld?

Right now, I am simply hoping for THunt's full recovery. He seems like a nice guy who likes to highlight his own flaws. As for the comic, there's just to wait.
    I can't agree more, I haven't read his rant, but my brother has and his description makes me want to read it even less. To me, Thunt comes off as some what of a perfectionist, that I can relate to, and I know what can happen when you over-react to imperfections. The fact that he has the courage to share these imperfections shows that he is a very strong person, even with all his short comings. I would like the comic to continue, but if Thunt gets better but still doesn't continue the comic, I'll be satisfied.
    There is a time for metaphysical experimentation, and there is a time for doomlasers and face-punching. Do you know what time it is? -Pax Empyrean, Spacebattles

19. - Top - End - #649
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Having read "the post" I have to say that I've never been that deep into the place(s) he went, but the territory sure sounds familiar. I don't know if people who don't personally deal with a certain degree of mental issues will really grasp what he's talking about, but most of it is worth reading.

I certainly hope the author gets better enough to reliably continue his comic after such a long absence. I'm surprised that anyone (generally) would even consider accusing the man who invented the finger horror (and heavily featured it in a multipage, full color story arc) of malicious laziness. If a longstanding artist willing to to do that sort of work suddenly dissapears for multiple months he's either dead, crazy, crippled, or has fully succumbed to his mind-altering substance addiction (not saying Tarol has one, just that's option four).

I mean, if you didn't see the finger horror and immediatly go "this artist skates closer to the edge of sanity than most people" I have six nigerian princes you should contact and some historic riverside property in Brooklyn you should invest the proceeds in. The only body part themed creature you could pick that would be harder to draw consistently is the Swarm of Disembodied Lips (or possibly the Footcrab, or the ninjas of Clan Footcrab, or possibly three villains similar in concept to The Shredder only with faces, hands, and feet respectively instead of spikes).
    Last edited by Icewraith; 2014-06-27 at 03:57 PM.
    This signature is no longer incredibly out of date, but it is still irrelevant.

20. - Top - End - #650

Quote Originally Posted by Icewraith View Post
    Having read "the post" I have to say that I've never been that deep into the place(s) he went, but the territory sure sounds familiar. I don't know if people who don't personally deal with a certain degree of mental issues will really grasp what he's talking about, but most of it is worth reading.

I certainly hope the author gets better enough to reliably continue his comic after such a long absence. I'm surprised that anyone (generally) would even consider accusing the man who invented the finger horror (and heavily featured it in a multipage, full color story arc) of malicious laziness. If a longstanding artist willing to to do that sort of work suddenly dissapears for multiple months he's either dead, crazy, crippled, or has fully succumbed to his mind-altering substance addiction (not saying Tarol has one, just that's option four).

I mean, if you didn't see the finger horror and immediatly go "this artist skates closer to the edge of sanity than most people" I have six nigerian princes you should contact and some historic riverside property in Brooklyn you should invest the proceeds in. The only body part themed creature you could pick that would be harder to draw consistently is the Swarm of Disembodied Lips (or possibly the Footcrab, or the ninjas of Clan Footcrab, or possibly three villains similar in concept to The Shredder only with faces, hands, and feet respectively instead of spikes).
    While I don't necessarily agree with all of your assumptions, I agree that drawing Mr. Fingers in a multi-page story was quite an undertaking, and indicates an unwillingness to cut corners.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

I have a lot of issues with Thunt's art from a purely cosmetic pov, but it honestly looks extremely time consuming to me.

The finger horror is one thing, but the way he draws hair, background elements, dungeon puzzles. All of it generally requires repeated drawing of complicated designs or structures.

"lazy artist" is one of the last things I'd think of when I think of the stuff in his work.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

22. - Top - End - #652
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, he has a very specific style that got some getting used to (speaking only for myself) but there is no debating that he's spending a lot of time on it. I remember when I first saw him ink a page and realised he inked the eyes dot by dot. Just that took ages. I think he's made a lot of progress speed-wise, possibly thanks to switching to a tablet, but to be really fast he would have to cut corners and I don't see him doing that.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Ogre in the Playground

So, has anyone heard anything about Thunt's situation since his tweet on May 28, 2014? I'm getting past worried. His "I Quit" post gave me some hope, but this delay after that is really disconcerting.

Also, Goblins: Alternate Realities still hasn't shipped yet as far I as I can discern. I wonder if stress related to that and obligations to backers is compounding his problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

24. - Top - End - #654
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

That is worrying to me as well. But I heard that he starting to get better though. Since people that have talk to him on his forum said that he completed at least one new page so far and possibly more since then. So there is a very good chance that he starting to recover enough to create new pages again which is good to hear in my book.

25. - Top - End - #655
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Time View Post
    That is worrying to me as well. But I heard that he starting to get better though. Since people that have talk to him on his forum said that he completed at least one new page so far and possibly more since then. So there is a very good chance that he starting to recover enough to create new pages again which is good to hear in my book.
    Does that mean he's creating a buffer?

26. - Top - End - #656
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post
    I'm not sure. Since they said he didn't want to update the webcomic until he can create new pages on a regular basis again.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post
    I doubt it. Even if he does, knowing Thunt he would blow through any buffer in no time.

If he ever does get back around to releasing comics he needs to just work at his own pace and not worry about meeting some type of schedule.

28. - Top - End - #658

Also, I know people who could be saying that's it's ready, because they know it should be, because they feel the need to justificate and said time to time that they were advancing. While it's not.

A friend did that about his essay. In the end of the deadline, if was supposed to have 70 pages (80 required), but said he had to start again from scratch because it wasn't good. Then recognized he had in fact only wrote 5 pages. And I'm not even sure that it was true.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

29. - Top - End - #659
    Ogre in the Playground

The Kickstarter isn't run by Thunt at all. He created illustrations for them and gave them the right to use Goblins as a brand and to use existing art, but he's not involved with the "delivering" aspect of it. I would say he doesn't know more than we do about when it will be ready.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Ettin in the Playground

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.