New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 49 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: EMPIRE! Community World-Building Game III: Prepare Your Inbox! (Messages Are Comi

Quote Originally Posted by firedaemon33 View Post
    My inbox is ready...I claim region 54 for a race of either demons or demon-summoners depending on what I need to do to invent magic. Stuff coming in future posts.
    I would like the demon scheme to take place. And besides, in my fluff I've been aching to use the words "abomination" and "exterminate".

As for magic, the invention of it would be a great help, but would probably coincide with crazy world-eating dragon attacks. If this is not so, MAGIC FOR THE WIN!

2. - Top - End - #692
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! Community World-Building Game III: Prepare Your Inbox! (Messages Are Comi

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dragon View Post
    If it's to have its own system though it'll make Diplomacy have two sides whereas other stats don't seem to. Though just the stat by itself, hmmm... I'd have to think about it, but things like assassins are intrigue-military actions rather than intrigue-diplomacy actions. I can think of a couple of intrigue-curiosity things, but can't find the right words to communicate them and am /not/ entirely sure.

Oh good grief I hope it doesn't affect me negatively...

Also Quinton, I posted my response in the Cantus Sai thread to you. Unless you want something else, can I post the terms under my action? If you do want something else of my resources umm... I guess spices are cool, but I don't think there's anything else.
    You're right that it rolling it into Diplo does give it too much control.

Go right ahead, and I'll do the same. That was there if there was anything you wanted. Otherwise we're good.

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

3. - Top - End - #693
    Ettin in the Playground

Elemental should sleep more...

Ashenia's first ruler had seven and I expect the majority of them are married by now! \witches\
    Indeed Elemental should.

They've all been married for a while now. I should determine a cut off point when I stop caring about them or I'm going to have to keep track of hundreds of possible descendants.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

4. - Top - End - #694
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Morph/Anyone Else, my writeup for The Glazfell is finished, and ready for public perusal.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Hey Morph, feedback on Felitora so far please?
    Obviously I'm not Morph, but people seem to like my opinions more often than not and I'm conveniently here right now.

Anyway, the version of your writeup I'm looking at doesn't seem to be anywhere near complete, which is a bad thing. I'd recommend using Wombat's template.

Your resources look okay; One practical, one luxury, one oddball. Coal as an import is also valid.

Your Terrain section is...lackluster, at basically one sentence outside of your landmarks. And that sentence doesn't really match up well with your spot on the map, though that's more nitpicking than is probably fair. Rather than being snowy year-round, maybe you just have really harsh winters and cool summers? It would at least explain why your region looks so green on the map.

Landmarks 2 and 3 are both fine, though my nitpick sense feels like they could do with some expansion. Landmark 1 is problematic, though; not because you didn't flesh it out, because you did, but because I'm fairly sure that Landmarks are specifically not supposed to be cities. You can still include a description of your capital city, of course, but it probably goes somewhere other than your landmarks.

Your "people" section also needs to be fleshed out, since currently it appears to be nothing more than a breakdown of the proportions of your population that are composed of a given race. Unfortunately, none of these races are described in the slightest beyond what we can guess from their name.

There's no explanation, which makes things tricky. Even the people describing humans give some common "racial" features, like light or dark skin, common hair and eye colors, body proportions, and so on and so forth. Are the "Lizardborn" the same types of Lizardfolk as those from Scla`ca? Alydaxis? Nyroth? Something completely different? We don't know, because you didn't say.

Heck, what's the difference between Lizardborn and Drakeborn? Is there a difference? What even is a Drakeborn? We can barely even guess at that one, since we don't know what this setting's drakes are like yet beyond the basic ideas of what a dragon is. We don't have any information to work with, so we don't know.

Anyway, before you start asking Morph about what he thinks of what you've written so far, I think you should probably actually finish your writeup and expand some things so that people reading it can get a clear picture of what's going on. If you can find a suitable visual aid to go along with your description, that's even better.

(Also, traditional Lizardfolk don't tend to do very well in cold regions, mostly because reptiles are cold-blooded and rely on external heat. You should probably consider that if you have lizard people. But that's neither here nor there.)

My inbox is ready...I claim region 54 for a race of either demons or demon-summoners depending on what I need to do to invent magic. Stuff coming in future posts.
    Have you considered maybe using Tieflings instead? Your neighbor already has a population heavily composed of them, so it makes sense geographically, and you could always flavor your attempts to "invent" magic as a desire to attempt to reconnect with your mysterious supernatural origins. All without having to add yet more sentient races to the setting needlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by moossabi View Post
    As for magic, the invention of it would be a great help, but would probably coincide with crazy world-eating dragon attacks. If this is not so, MAGIC FOR THE WIN!
    I personally prefer my fantasy to be on the low end of the magic spectrum, or at least on the low end of the "holy crap wizards everywhere" spectrum. Too much magic makes it really really hard to justify doing a lot of the traditional epic stuff, and keeping magic relatively rare helps to keep what we do see to be, well, fantastic.

That said, diff'rent strokes.
    Last edited by BladeofObliviom; 2014-03-11 at 11:39 PM.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Ettin in the Playground

I should probably mention this before I go ahead and do it, but Ashenia is poised to cancel the treaty between the Union of the North and the Jewelled Cities for various reasons. I just need to speak with Lord_Burch about it before I do that.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)

Dragons!

6. - Top - End - #696
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    You're right that it rolling it into Diplo does give it too much control.

Go right ahead, and I'll do the same. That was there if there was anything you wanted. Otherwise we're good.
    I also admit, I'm quite biased. I still highly regret not starting with all the cool intrigue-like things now.

Updated in my actions. I'm still brainstorming a name for it and when I think of good suggestions I will forward them to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Indeed Elemental should.

They've all been married for a while now. I should determine a cut off point when I stop caring about them or I'm going to have to keep track of hundreds of possible descendants.
    Uh, yes... I'm never going to do that. I'll have to start moving some of them to an Excel worksheet actually as the FamilyEcho might prove to be a little more unwieldly than Excel after a while.

At least, for mathsy mathy me.

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Morph/Anyone Else, my writeup for The Glazfell is finished, and ready for public perusal.

Anyway, before you start asking Morph about what he thinks of what you've written so far, I think you should probably actually finish your writeup and expand some things so that people reading it can get a clear picture of what's going on. If you can find a suitable visual aid to go along with your description, that's even better.
    Excellent, maybe.

Hmm, a lot of what you mention here mirrored what I mentioned in PM to Arkh. Yeah hey Arkhosia I think Morph Bark is quite busy as it is unfortunately.

I do remember 「or... I think I remember」 when you posted it that he said it looks good so far!
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

7. - Top - End - #697
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Heh. I think my favorite idea that I had on this one is that The Glazfell is either a cursed wasteland that was smote by the Lord of Fire in a bygone age...

...or maybe it's just Siberia.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Heh. I think my favorite idea that I had on this one is that The Glazfell is either a cursed wasteland that was smote by the Lord of Fire in a bygone age...

...or maybe it's just Siberia.
    And Siberia isn't a cursed wasteland?

Apologies to any residents of Siberia.

Dragons!

9. - Top - End - #699
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    The next part of The Tale of Ironfang! should be out in a bit.

On a related note, Morph please check your inbox as soon as possible. We need to talk.
    Next Time on: The Tail of Ironfang! (Typo intended)

On a sidenote, your shortstories are really good man! Keep em coming !

Magic can only be introduced by the GM. It is as of now not possible to work towards it, althought there are small things going on atm related to magic.
    Last edited by WaylanderX; 2014-03-12 at 03:41 AM.
    A swordmaster never backs off, I'll cut you to ribbons with my almighty sabre! CHAOS DANCE!!

Nyllana OotS Avatar by Lord FullBladder, Master of Goblins!

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here
    My Extended Homebrew Sig!

Currently writing a fantasy novel: The Dawn of Life!
    People willing to provide feedback are appreciated

10. - Top - End - #700

Yeah Tychris, your stories are great; the Sympol have really good fluff!

Also, I like how different geographical regions have different flavours (I need a better word). The far west is full of lizards, the near west and the centre has most of the humans, the far east is pretty demonic/tiefling oriented, and the near east has a lot of animal-people. Dwarves are just scattered everywhere, of course . There's some exceptions of course, but overall it's pretty coherent.

@Morph's classification of nations:
    I'm definitely more curiosity and less military.
    I'm also on the Bay12 Games forums under the same username.

The awesome Ceika made both my avatars! All hail!
    Spoiler: Former avatar
    Show

Currently playing the parched and honourable Rabhid Dynasty in Empire2!

11. - Top - End - #701
    Ettin in the Playground

Region 54 is already being colonized at the moment. Would you be interested in region 33?
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

12. - Top - End - #702

@Elemental- Since you have already posted, and I have nothing confidential today, yes, I agree. I was actually looking for an opportunity to say that IC at Cantus Sai.
    Amazing Jaune Arc avatar made by the talented artist Comissar. Thanks a lot!

Playing as the Kingdom of Gleiss in Empire! 3.

A ravenous, numberless horde of immortal, undying goats cursed with unceasing hunger would actually be a very disturbing apocalypse.

13. - Top - End - #703
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Burch View Post
    Yes. Is that too early in game, or is it fine?

EDIT: On your own rules question, if you haven't looked it up already... No.
    It is fine, I was simply not aware you were already that far with your Curiosity. Congratulations!

Yes... Now... I wish I'd had longer to work on the stat. Instead, I start with 1d4.

...well time to work on it I suppose.
    On the bright side, you get a +1 right off! As to not starting off with more intrigue stuff earlier, you can blame me for that, saying I did not want to include too much stuff on that since it would complicate thongs and create much more work for me. Since now I've figured some stuff out that won't make it too complicated nor create much more work, added to the fact I now have some co Gms helping keep track of things.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Intrigue feels kinda like diplomacy to me. I mean, I see the difference but it seems like adding it as a stat opens up more subdividing of other stats. Curiosity becomes Science and Architecture. Faith can become Religion and Philosophy. I mean, I know those aren't likely needed but adding the stat seems kinda like it could fall under diplomacy. On the other hand that may make diplomacy too strong. I don't know, just rolling ideas around.

Also, Morph, I apologize ahead of time for the headache my latest PM will no doubt prompt ;P
    If I would file it all under diplomacy, the stat would become too strong. Besides, Intrigue is all about subterfuge, whereas diplomacy is up front. Intrigue is less social. To go with adventure RPG type stat analogs, Diplomacy is more Charisma, whereas Intrigue is more Dexterity.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Hey Morph, feedback on Felitora so far please?
    Where is your post for it? Musta missed it. Based on Blade's comments on it though, those lizardborn should likely be warmblooded, like the lizardfolk of region 45.

As Wombat noted it's being colonized, which I generally dont find a problem at all, but since it concerns a player who had his colonization attempts faulted due to new players. I will post an expanded map soon. Since a lot of new players are popping up, I will add in a bunch new regions East and West.

And Siberia isn't a cursed wasteland?

Apologies to any residents of Siberia.
    If we had a player from Siberia here I would be /very/ intrigued.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbit View Post
    @Morph's classification of nations:
    I'm definitely more curiosity and less military.
    Noted! And seems also in line with my assumption that most Dawn League members are primarily curiosity minded.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

14. - Top - End - #704
    Ogre in the Playground

I should probably mention this before I go ahead and do it, but Ashenia is poised to cancel the treaty between the Union of the North and the Jewelled Cities for various reasons. I just need to speak with Lord_Burch about it before I do that.

@Elemental- Since you have already posted, and I have nothing confidential today, yes, I agree. I was actually looking for an opportunity to say that IC at Cantus Sai.

I'm hoping we can roll some discussion of that into the Cantus Sai thread as well.
    Last edited by lt_murgen; 2014-03-12 at 07:00 AM.

15. - Top - End - #705
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Besides, Intrigue is all about subterfuge, whereas diplomacy is up front. Intrigue is less social.
    I'm inclined to think that intrigue is hard to put into a single stat, as it's deception, backroom politics and secret actions... which we can do without a stat. There might be political intrigues as much as military ones. Isn't that the reason there are secret actions?
    Inuit avatar with cherry banana on top by Yanisa

16. - Top - End - #706
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aspi View Post
    I'm inclined to think that intrigue is hard to put into a single stat, as it's deception, backroom politics and secret actions... which we can do without a stat. There might be political intrigues as much as military ones. Isn't that the reason there are secret actions?
    MAybe that is the key. Have an intrigue stat that covers deceptions,. underworld dealings, spying and so forth. It would be used in two cases:

1- secret actions. It replaces the other stats when the attempt is being made against another player. For example, you could have a Curiosity secret action to develop a new weapon, but it would become an Intrigue action when attempting to steal technology from another player.

2- Opposed actions. A play could add half their intrigue score to any opposed action, but if they fail the duplicity is revealed and they lose 1 Intrigue ability. For example, in a battle one player might use his Intrique to sneak people in to poison the opposing troops water supply. So half the intrigue points are added to the military score. She loses the battle and 1 Intrigue point as the other side tells the world about her heinous crimes.

You could have an Intrigue 5 action that allows for the player to request 1 secret action of another player be revealed to them on that turn.

You could have an Intrigue 10 action that allows the player 2 secret actions per turn, instead of 1. Still keeping to the maximum of 5, however.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    MAybe that is the key. Have an intrigue stat that covers deceptions,. underworld dealings, spying and so forth. It would be used in two cases:

1- secret actions. It replaces the other stats when the attempt is being made against another player. For example, you could have a Curiosity secret action to develop a new weapon, but it would become an Intrigue action when attempting to steal technology from another player.

2- Opposed actions. A play could add half their intrigue score to any opposed action, but if they fail the duplicity is revealed and they lose 1 Intrigue ability. For example, in a battle one player might use his Intrique to sneak people in to poison the opposing troops water supply. So half the intrigue points are added to the military score. She loses the battle and 1 Intrigue point as the other side tells the world about her heinous crimes.

You could have an Intrigue 5 action that allows for the player to request 1 secret action of another player be revealed to them on that turn.

You could have an Intrigue 10 action that allows the player 2 secret actions per turn, instead of 1. Still keeping to the maximum of 5, however.
    Problem is, you can't have more than one secret action, so you could never increase your intrigue...

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

18. - Top - End - #708
    Ogre in the Playground

Luck is something you probably shouldn't base your country around.
    Can't keep me down
    Luck Dragon for life.

WHY DO ALL THESE MASS EXTINCTION EVENTS HAPPEN EVERY FEW DECADES IN THE GENIVANAN ROYAL FAMILY WHAT IS GOING OOOOONNN
    Well I realized that Mosi being gone at 84 meant his aunts and uncles were all pushing 100 and his brothers and sisters were getting up there as well... Along with all the cousins he had in this generation, that I never went back and named... The family tree got too big too fast. @_@

This... I didn't even determine a cut off. My cut off was "alright, I've used every name I like on this page" and then I just sort of stopped naming people outside of the main line. If I need to go back and name a second cousin somewhere because they're suddenly inheriting the throne something has gone horribly wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Problem is, you can't have more than one secret action, so you could never increase your intrigue...
    Maybe Intrigue can increase like Luck? If you use an intrigue action you have a chance to increase it. Maybe a definite increase for a successful opposed action if you lose it on a failed one.
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WaylanderX View Post
    Magic can only be introduced by the GM. It is as of now not possible to work towards it, althought there are small things going on atm related to magic.
    Soon...! Trademarked... >.>

Mmm... There are plenty of places for you to do that.

On the bright side, you get a +1 right off! As to not starting off with more intrigue stuff earlier, you can blame me for that, saying I did not want to include too much stuff on that since it would complicate thongs and create much more work for me. Since now I've figured some stuff out that won't make it too complicated nor create much more work, added to the fact I now have some co Gms helping keep track of things.
    Hurrah!

...I was the one who started with a region that was a bit different to stuff I usually enjoy writing.

It failed. This is not like other RP games!

Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post
    Maybe Intrigue can increase like Luck? If you use an intrigue action you have a chance to increase it. Maybe a definite increase for a successful opposed action if you lose it on a failed one.
    I for one vote strongly against Intrigue acting unlike the other 'regular' stats.

20. - Top - End - #710
    Troll in the Playground

How about every secret action can no longer count as another type of action but is automatically intrigue and non-secret actions can be labeled intrigue just like they can be labeled any of the other normal stats?

(Also, it's quite far down the line, but perhaps Empires can get 2 secret actions since I remember you talking about the current arrangement being kind of weak for their effort Morph)

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #711

@Arkh- I see what you did with the name in the Cantus Sai thread.
    Last edited by Lord_Burch; 2014-03-12 at 09:19 AM.
    Amazing Jaune Arc avatar made by the talented artist Comissar. Thanks a lot!

Playing as the Kingdom of Gleiss in Empire! 3.

A ravenous, numberless horde of immortal, undying goats cursed with unceasing hunger would actually be a very disturbing apocalypse.

22. - Top - End - #712
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Where is your post for it? Musta missed it. Based on Blade's comments on it though, those lizardborn should likely be warmblooded, like the lizardfolk of region 45.

If we had a player from Siberia here I would be /very/ intrigued.

...You reference my post and another post in response to it, but no mention of this? You make me a sad, sad panda. ()

23. - Top - End - #713
    Ettin in the Playground

Here's an interesting question.....

Why do special animals need tech to train, as well as a resource in them, but the Eel hovercrafts can be used for people, but don't need them as a resource, only the tech. I wouldn't think hover eels are the same as boats are with oceanfaring tech...

World Building Projects:
    Magic

24. - Top - End - #714
    Ogre in the Playground

For personal real life issues which have recently arisen, I will have to bow out. Unfortunately, I do not foresee a resolution in the near future.

See ya.

25. - Top - End - #715
    Ettin in the Playground

Uuuuuuuugh ok.

So.

Damn.................

Well, I wonder what's going to happen to Tekorva? Also Morph please respond! The Tail of Ironfang! depends on it!
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

26. - Top - End - #716
    Troll in the Playground

For personal real life issues which have recently arisen, I will have to bow out. Unfortunately, I do not foresee a resolution in the near future.

See ya.
    Wow, really? You alright man?

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #717
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Here's an interesting question.....

Why do special animals need tech to train, as well as a resource in them, but the Eel hovercrafts can be used for people, but don't need them as a resource, only the tech. I wouldn't think hover eels are the same as boats are with oceanfaring tech...
    I didn't realize the hovercrafts where eel powered. I sort of just pictured a bunch of goblins jumping on bellows to keep the thing up and a giant fan operated by a bicycle looking thing : P

See ya.
    Ah, I hope everything is ok D=
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

28. - Top - End - #718

Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post
    I didn't realize the hovercrafts where eel powered. I sort of just pictured a bunch of goblins jumping on bellows to keep the thing up and a giant fan operated by a bicycle looking thing : P
    Everything is powered by turtles eels.

29. - Top - End - #719
    Ogre in the Playground

Morph, would it be possible to trade military units like my berundas? I'd rather not trade the resource or technology, but I wouldn't mind giving a couple units to my close allies.

See ya.
    Sorry to see you go. I hope things get better soon!
    Avatar by the wonderful and talented Ceika!
    Playing:

Past Faves: The Blackwood | Raaneka | Cachimba

My DeviantArt.

30. - Top - End - #720
    Ettin in the Playground

Round 7 Trade!

Please Note: Trade agreements (that I record, and therefore, take no action to keep recorded) can only be about things you CURRENTLY have. Any future agreements are not written down, will not be written down, and cannot be part of terms of an alliance. Only you OOC plans. Therefore, actions will still be needed for plans such as giving tech or resources when you get them.

Confirmed by All Parties:

Grand Coalition - Gunung Adamantine (worked) to Celero, Kasumor and the Ignato Empire (which region in the empire?). Sympolemou left the Coalition.

Nightmare Treaty - Tekorva left treaty.

Unconfirmed: The Awoken Treaty - Confirmed by Santuary, Unconfirmed by Guilder, Pryonia, or Kasumor.

Expired Trade Attempts:

Dawn League - Lyradissian Grain for Grmanhilian Bees (unconfirmed by Lyradis) (I totally forgot about it)

Mountain Blade Treaty - Terms Breached.

Bloodied Coin Treaty - Terms Breached

Previous Rounds:
    Round 6
    Round 7
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2014-03-12 at 11:42 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic