New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default The Chest that Broke the Russian's Back: Persona in the Playground (Social Link)

Walking back from his game, Levi noted that the sun was hanging low in the sky and that he was beginning to get hungry. He recalled the deal made in the morning and thought it was high time he inacted it. He noticed the way Soga looked at this girl and thought all the ways he could turn this into an advantage. Who knows maybe with a little charm he could have this girl eating out of the palm of his hand.

Careful my love, I am a jealous mistress and do not take kindly on others encrouching upon my territory.
    Levi smiled to himself There is only room in my heart for you, my love, my power... this is only a scheme within a scheme possibly implanting a notion into a potential weapon. Nothing more, nothing less... I am everfaithful to us. It was ironic that his persona manifested in such a way that it would take on the form of a lover... Morana was a part of him who loved him and who he loved in returned I suppose that makes me the ultimate narcissist. In a world such as this the only person one can trust is themself better to comes to terms with that early then at a crucial moment.

Making his way to the old dorms, he nosed around a bit until he found the room he was looking for. Quietly he listened on the other side in hopes of determining the level of activity going on in the room at that given moment. Satisfied that someone was indeed inside, the big Russian calmly knocked on the wooden door patiently waiting for a response.
    Blarg...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Chest that Broke the Russian's Back: Persona in the Playground (Social Link)

Tsubaki was just finishing up repacking her trunk so everything fit better, when she heard the knock at the door. She strode up to the door and opened it to find Levi on the other side.

"Ah, come in. Don't mind the mess, my sister is coming to help clean it up tomorrow." Upon a glance the "mess" she was referring to was probably the pile of broken training weapons in the corner and the bloodied bandages on her nightstand that looked recent. Next to her bed was the large metal and wood trunk, just a little shorter than the bed itself. It was an ornate affair with detailed carvings in the sides. With the top currently open, the top layer was extra blades for her naginata along with some first aid kits. The walls showed signs of having things hanging on them previously, now stored in the trunk.
    Lovely Mokou avatar by Kurien.

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: The Chest that Broke the Russian's Back: Persona in the Playground (Social Link)

Levi smirked as he walked through the threshhold and into the room. Surveying the room he eye's the pile of bandages "So who won the war?" He takes off his jacket and sets it down nearby revealing a weight belt he used for his own training along with a bunch of leather straps that made the Russian look more intimidating than normal.

Taking off the straps he looks at the chest "Is it ready for transport because once I have it rigged and strapped to my back you won't have an opportunity to access it until it's moved."
    Blarg...

4. - Top - End - #4

Tsubaki chuckles at his comment. "I won. My older brother challenged me the other day. Ended up breaking one of those." She points over at the pile of training weapons. "The upper half spun and the broken end cut my leg. I sacrificed my weapon and punched him in the face to win. The look on his face was priceless."

Tsubaki follows Levi to her chest and double checks that everything is in there. "Looks like everything." She takes off a necklace with the key at the end and locks up her things. "I honestly wasn't expecting you to carry it alone, you must be quite strong." She grabs a long, slender box off her bed and places it in a cloth sleeve that has a strap on it. Inside it was her actual naginata which she wanted to carry herself.

5. - Top - End - #5

Levi raised his eyebrow at the explanation "A fellow polearm fighter, how very interesting, maybe we could spar on a later date. I have heard much of Japanese Pole Arm techniques I would find it very useful to observe it for myself."

He moves towards the chest and begins placing the straps in careful places forming a secure network that shaped into a backpack of sorts. "I just have advantage of size nothing more, it is much simpler to conduct a move when only one body is involved. Adding more people to effort decreases burden but increases movement complexity. You have greater risk of dropping by tripping over others than losing grip." Carefully inspecting his handiwork, Levi slipped into position and prepared himself for the task at hand. "Secret to heavy lifting is finding the proper weight distribution. Moment I begin, I will endeavor to complete objective as swiftly as possible, don't get in my way and make sure I am not obstructed. I hope you've selected your room ahead of time." Taking a few deep breaths while he strapped himself to the chest, the huge Russian exhaled as he stood up, making sure to lift with his legs and not with his back. The weight of the chest was staggering but Levi was stubborn, he stood up slightly stooped to distribute the weight evenly across his body. When he was sure of his balance the big man began to move with a purpose.
    Blarg...

6. - Top - End - #6

Tsubaki grins at his request. "Sure, we can spar sometime. It would be good practice. After all, I'll be fighting new enemies that I know little about." She smiled a little at the thought of those new enemies again. Having a real application for her skills outside of just teaching the art was an amazing feeling for her.

Listening carefully to what Levi says, she opens the door all the way and peers down the hall. "I keep the way clear, no worries. I picked a room out earlier and left a little sign." The sign she spoke of was a self-drawn picture of the flower she is named after tossed on the bed she was going to take, her name placed in the corner. Once Levi has the chest on his back, she begins to move down the hallway, careful to move objects that may get in the way. Any people in the way got moved as well, but more with a few quiet words than with action.

7. - Top - End - #7

Levi slowed down his breathing taking deep, measured breaths as he made his way out of the room and the building. He kept his pace steady and exact, keeping his legs within a certain distance from his center so he could keep his balance with this heavy load. By Stalin's great mustaches, what the hell does she have in here? The dead body of her brother?"

Levi kept moving as beads of sweat began to form upon his brow, his body slowly begining to protest from the weight. He willed his body to keep moving despite it beginning to shake, he was commited stopping now would be a very bad idea. He was very thankful for the light breeze outside and became much releived as the other building came into view. As he approached the entry to the building he felt his legs starting to burn from the effort and prayed that she didn't select a room on an upper level. His fears were confirmed and he silently cursed at gravity, his natural enemy for antagonizing him with the self inflicted burden on his back. Some may consider these actions prideful, that Levi was trying to impress but that was far from the truth. If he asked for help he would not have time alone with Tsubaki thus wouldn't be able to get inside her head as easily. Yes there were days when being a manipulative @ss were a total thankless bitch but the end goal was just too tempting.

At the top of the first flight, Levi was convinced he was going to have a heart attack, his lungs screamed at him while his legs felt like they were being stabbed by some cruel unseen force. When that evil maiden continued into the hallway instead of up the next flight the big, nearly exhausted Russian almost weeped tears of joy. Keeping his pace constant he made it to the door with the designated marking. The last stretch was the hardest and Levi began to shout a stream of curses in russian that would make a prostitute blush. He looked wildly around the room for any marking that would tell him which bed but after a second he decided to randomly select her bed for her. Inching towards a bed he turned around and slowly lowered the chest onto the bed, his face red and forehead vein bulging from the strain. As he felt the weight rest on the bed he felt like collapsing but knew he could or else that blasted devil's chest would follow him down and crush what little life he had let in him.

Breathing heavily Levi began to unstrap himself, his hands visibly shaking Never again... if I ever even considering doing this again I implore you Morana to stop me. But my love it's just too entertaining to watch you struggle like this.... The russian grumbled as he removed the final strap binding him to the chest. Tired he looks at Tsubaki and smiles "Next time, pick ground floor or refrain from putting rocks in there alright? Keep the straps for now, I am going to go shower since I cannot in good conscience go to a restaurant smelling like a yak."
    Blarg...

8. - Top - End - #8

Tsubaki giggles at the comment about rocks. "I packed it really tight, but there are a few metal plates in there. Next, time I'll ask my brother to hire movers, that looked way too strenuous on you." She stretched as she spoke, looking at the sky out the window. "If my brother asks, my father tends to say yes. Now go take your shower, it looks like it will rain soon. I know a place that serves something good when it rains."

She begins to unpack the few things she may need immediately, such as an umbrella and more normal clothes to change into. Her combat clothes were her favored outfit, but they were out of place and she had some sense of what was appropriate to wear at which places. Once she's pretty sure Levi is mid-shower, she changes into a black hoodie and matching pants with a flower design going up the side.

9. - Top - End - #9

Levi nods "I will be back shortly, I hope this place has a lot of food, I am rather hungry today." He leaves Tsubaki and wanders absently to his room, noting the few suit case additions without owners he begins raiding his for suitable attire. After selecting a plain white dress shirt and a suitable jacket he pops some ibuprofan and chases it with vodka in hopes of dulling the impending back ache. Laying out his clothes he strips down to his boxers and puts his bathrobe on then wanders off to find the showers while carrying his shower kit. Luckily he didn't have to wander long dressed as he was and after a quick inspection he noted that it was empty though it smelled like the place hadn't been cleaned for a while.

The big Russian lazily slipped into the first available stall and finishes stripping, dropping the kit on the tiled floor Levi turns on the showers. The silent room soon met with a very high pitched squeal that was further amplified by the accoustics of the room. It turns out the showers hadn't been used for a while and Levi was blasted with a stream of freezing water that would rival a polar bear swim from back home. The big man quickly overcompensated with hot water which led to a very quick and unpleasant temperature change. The scalding water caused a string of obsenities in Russian cursing the plumber who did this, his family and everyone one they ever knew. Another quick adjustment finally led to the balance Levi desired and he was finally able to stand there basking in the warm water. After 10 minuted had passed Levi was beginning to feel relaxed (warm water + pills + alcohol= light headed pleasantness) and began washing himself while singing, rather baddly, a russian folk song. Feeling much better he leaves the stall and goes to dry himself off but realises he didn't bring a towl with him.

Levi grumbled blackly to himself as he put his underwear back on along with the robed and stomped back to his room dripping. As one would guess this situation was a recipe for disaster and halfway back to his room Levi slipped causing himself to fall on his back. Oh I'm dying... why is this the way I am leaving this world? Mostly naked and wet. At least you leave the world like you can into it, even then you didn't scream..." Moaning in pain, Levi slowly gets up and stalks back into his room while holding his spine. Quickly getting dressed he dons a fashionable brimmed hat and a trench coat then walks back towards Tsubaki's room but pauses for a moment. Taking a deep breath he straightens his spine causing it to crack numerous times while inducing considerable pain. The pain was definitely intense but Levi held his breath and suffered through it. Finishing the walk he politely knocks on the door and waits.
    Blarg...

10. - Top - End - #10

Tsubaki was tying her hair up with a ribbon as she heard the knock. She quickly finishes as she walks to the door. "Well aren't you nicely dressed." She giggled a little while grabbing her umbrella next to the door as it had started raining. "We're going to a little Chinese restaurant called Aiya, I normally go there while it rains." "Normally" was a bit of an understatement. She stopped in often enough that they start her order when she walks in, but she wasn't going to say that.

It was only a short walk to Aiya. Upon entry, Tsubaki gave a large smile to the cook and held up two fingers before sitting down. The order was understood to be two Rainy Day Specials. It was a good thing Levi said he was really hungry.

11. - Top - End - #11

Levi looks down at his clothing then back at Tsubaki with a slightly puzzled look "This is what I always wear? Why only go to place when raining, is oven operated by some water mill or something?" Levi walks quitely beside the bubbly lass and notes the restaurant she had selected Chinese? Oh gods that runs right through me, I will be on toilet for rest of week.. He attempts to keep a neutral face at the choice and follows in after Tsubaki.

Noticing the gestures exchanged by Tsubaki and the cook Levi gets the sneaking suspicion that he doesn't get to decide his meal. Sitting down Levi furrows his brows "So do we grab menu's? Or is there secret Chinese hand waggling system I am not familiar with? So you never told me why you only come to this place when it rains... it is an odd reason to visit specific place for food."
    Blarg...

12. - Top - End - #12

Tsubaki smiles at Levi. "I was just letting him know I needed a second order. The reason why I come when it rains is the Rainy Day Special around here." As if guided by divine timing, their food was placed in front of them as she finished speaking. The massive amount of meat in the bowl was nearly comical. "It doesn't have any of the odd sauces some people have problems with and if you can finish it, it's free." She giggled as she separated her chopsticks, remembering his comment about sushi previously, figuring this shouldn't be too hard on his insides.

"Don't worry about needing to finish it though, it's actually quite difficult and I have plenty of spare pocket money after beating my brother. I started charging him for every time he losses." Tsubaki herself normally couldn't finish the entire bowl. "I'll beat this thing one day." With those words, she started eating.

13. - Top - End - #13

Levi stared into the meaty abyss that was supposedly a bowl, shocked that such a thing existed. It was both beautiful and terrifying all at once, like child birth an experience that Levi prayed he never would have to witness. Staring up at the she demon who had subjected him through this day of torture the Russian finally showed his true emotions on his face: a look of horror and fear. By everything that is holy, she is trying to kill me! Realizing that he was staring at Tsubaki like a gaping neanderthal Levi closed his mouth and faced the task before him.

"I shall do this for Mother Russia, I will not let this stop me, I will be victorious! Wait... your brother pays you to beat him up? How did you get him to agree to that scam, no offense but is your brother alright in head?"
    Last edited by Morbis Meh; 2014-03-12 at 09:26 PM.
    Blarg...

14. - Top - End - #14

Tsubaki sees the look on Levi's face and holds back a laugh. I think you scare him, little hero. Cu Chulainn's voice spoke to her with a bit of a laugh. Oh, hush Setanta, he's a big Russian man. They can wrestle bears in the winter.* Tsubaki still hadn't come to terms with the fact that her persona is just part of her, so she talks to it like it is a different person.

Tsubaki giggles a little at Levi's thoughts on her brother. "It's not a scam. He's prideful and, in his own words, 'should be able to easily surpass the younger sibling.' Eventually I got tired of him trying to best me every day. It was getting exhausting." She eats a couple bites of food between her sentences. "Think of it like the challenge on this bowl. Win and it's free, lose and you pay. If he didn't agree, I just wouldn't fight him. He'd have a victory by default, but it would eat away at him as he would know I was still stronger and just not considering him worth my time." A small smile creeps across her face. "He's come a long way though. I wouldn't be surprised if he overcomes me in a year."

*She's thinking of Zangief from Street Fighter.

15. - Top - End - #15

Levi knows he being talked to and even some part of his mind has registered the information but it is currently on hold. Most of his attention is how to attack this wall of tasty death before him, the most logical means would be to dig a hole directly in the center so he could find the bottom. That would allow him to gauge his pace as he ate and re-evaluate the situation as the meal went on. With a firm plan in mind Levi reaches for his tools of war but is infuriated when he is met with chop sticks. He looks darkly upon the pseudo implements "These are not proper weapons for battle, these are a mockery and will only get in way of my conquest of the meat dimension!" Realizing what he just said out loud Levi's face goes blank as he looks at his companion not sure whether to be embarrassed or just ignore what he did and get back to the task at hand. Deciding to save face or at least attempt to "Yes... pride is a cruel mistress but that is the folly of youth and a hard lesson. Hopefully one day your brother will learn to be proud of you instead of feeling need to be better. I wish I had a younger sibling to be proud of, at least they would have to assume some of burden derived from parental expectation. Competition can be healthy but not where it becomes to the point to pay for pain, that is borderline obsessive." Remembering the motions Tsubaki took Levi separates his chopsticks and begins enacting his plans even though he was terrible with chop sticks are eventually began using them to stab meat.
    Blarg...

16. - Top - End - #16

Seeing Levi fired up about the meaty abyss they've decided to conquer makes Tsubaki fired up too. "The meat dimension is truly a worthy adversary, it takes ambition to defeat it!" Tsubaki ate a few more bites of the monstrous meal before her. Her eating showed a bit of how she fought. There was no plan or strategy, she was just rashly attacking, hoping to break through the enemy's defenses and today's enemy was the meat dimension. "Here's hoping he realizes. He can have the high grades, and the pride, and being head of the family. I don't care about that. I fight, it's what I'm good at, it's what I can do and it's what I will do. That's why I got the nickname 'Bushiko' around the school. 'Bushi' meaning 'warrior' and 'ko' is just appended because I'm a girl I'd assume." Tsubaki was still managing to take a bite between sentences as she spoke.

17. - Top - End - #17

Only silence replies Tsubaki as Levi begins a frontal assault on the meat monstrosity, using his chopsticks like pikes he bores down the center of the bowl rending the hot flavored meat with his teeth. Like his chest lifting, he kept up his pace, already been reduced to a broken man by that infernal pocket dimension of pain he refuses to surrender again! Though as the minutes fly by and his struggle towards the bottom continues a feeling begins to develop with in his gut. True it was probably the over abundance of meat building steadily within it but something else was growing along with it: FEAR. Despite his efforts, Levi had yet to dig a shaft to the bottom of the bowl and doubt was beginning to take root in the back of his mind. The Russian refused to submit, grabbing his tea cup his downs its luke warm contents before emitting a mighty belch so fierce the gods themselves would shake. It was a battle cry against the never ending onslaught of beef and tasty death and with a renewed sense of purpose Levi steeled himself for the next skirmish.

With the fortitude of a mountain the Russain's implements finally strike a solid surface resulting in a dull thud, he had reached the bottom. Giving a cry of victory, Levi looks down at the bowl and kills whatever bit of nerve he once had after seeing his small opening encroached by walls of savory delight. His stomach near bursting and his will ground to dust the big man craddles his face into the nook of his elbow then silently weeps. Looking up at Tsubaki his eyes reflected his words perfectly "What have you done to me you evil, evil woman...?"
    Blarg...

18. - Top - End - #18

Tsubaki's meal was starting to lose against her onslaught, one third of it had been consumed. There was no fear of failure in her eyes, she just kept going. Attack, attack, attack. Fight, fight, fight. Keep striking, keep pounding away at the enemy until it submits. Hearing the sound of chopsticks hitting the bottom of a bowl next to her, she takes a look over in disbelief. There's no way he could be done already, right? Seeing the bowl, Tsubaki smiles, understanding his tactic. Seeing Levi's face explains everything to her.

"I'm not evil, I'm simply feeding the troops and learning a bit about you. You dug down through the center trying to gauge your opponent's strength. It's a smart tactic, but sometimes knowing your opponent's strength is far worse." Tsubaki drinks her tea, taking a quick break from her bowl of food. "You try to fight smart, manipulating things to your advantage, if possible. It's not a bad way to go about things at all. But it can lead to a situation where you see an opponent that is too strong for you to defeat." She points at her bowl with her chopsticks. "This isn't an enemy that has to be defeated, though. The intent here wasn't to beat this meal. You can learn a lot about someone by how they tackle this bowl and it ensured that you'd be well-fed before we had to get working."