New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Rebirth

1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Rebirth

OOC: OK, cool. So, before we get to the morning, could you guys all give me a listen check, at a -10 penalty for being asleep?

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Listen check:
    (1d20-9)[9]

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20-9)[-2] listen check
    Spoiler: Map for Mercenaries
    Show

4. - Top - End - #64

OOC: You asked. Really though, you could probably do this yourself. Would speed things up, at least. (1d20+1)[3]

5. - Top - End - #65
    Firbolg in the Playground

Otto

In the depths of sleep, Otto's point-eared lineage kicks in...

Spoiler: Listen
    Show
    (1d20-9)[6]
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

6. - Top - End - #66

BardGuy

OOC: Yeah, realized after I posted that I could have done them myself. In the future I will do these on my own, whether they be public or private. If someone hadn't replied by tonight, I would have done it for them.

Right, so, all of your rolls are good enough to hear screams of terror and see flames through your windows around 3 AM. It seems the whole town has been set aflame. The inn itself has likely caught fire, but your rooms haven't started burning yet. Outside, people are running and screaming, no one seems to be trying to put out the flames. To be fair, it has spread so much that buckets of water will not be able to do much.

You are each in your own room. What do you do?

7. - Top - End - #67

*snarls wordlessly*

I grab my gear (it being attached to my clothes, this doesn't take longer than me putting them on), then start banging on the doors. "The town is under attack! Fires have been set! GET OUT NOW! DEFEND THE TOWN!!!"

I'm checking so that no rooms have people in them, while watching and feeling for fire and hostiles nearby.

EDIT: Are we entirely certain that the forum dice roller isn't bugged or something? This thing's been giving a LOT of low rolls.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by aleucard; 2014-03-14 at 02:06 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Wait I made that save also with a -2 so there was no need to roll then.

Telious Gaefierd

Telious Gaefierd runs down stairs sword in hand shield ready he goes outside and mounts his warhorse and rides forth to see the problem sheathing his sword and readying his lance to charge any foes in the area if need be.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ready action to charge any opponets within 120ft due to being mounted. What are all the things I see as I ride forth?
    Show

9. - Top - End - #69

Otto

Calmly, Otto gathers his gear. Then he looks to ensure he can escape from the flames.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot (1d20+1)[21]
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2014-03-14 at 03:33 PM.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

10. - Top - End - #70

BardGuy

@ aleucard

The panicked guests have either left already, or run when you wake them. However, you don't see anyone from the adventuring party as you go through these rooms.

One room's door is engulfed in flame, and you can hear someone choking inside. However, any attempt to interact with the door will cause you to either back away because of the heat or take damage.

OOC: I don't know much about the forum dice roller. For this roll, without the penalties, it would have been much better.

@ Elysian Blade

OOC: Yes, you made it with a -2. I figured you would wake up to this. But if it had been rogues, the Listen check would have mattered.

As you ride, you find it odd that there seem to be no enemies, only civilians in panic. You hear the sound of tiny explosions, but when you go to investigate, you see that the only items around are a couple pistols, which have fired of their own accord. As you continue to ride, it seems that, for the moth part, the fire seems to have spread along paths, in a way much more structured than a fire would. Of course, anything especially flammable caught itself on fire too, but even dirt paths seem to be aflame. There is still enough room between the fires to walk/ride, however.

You continue riding, and near the outskirts of town, you see a man in what looks to be a martial arts outfit waving and trying to talk to anyone who passes. When he notices you, he tries to flag you down.

@ redzimmer

Yeah, you have a clear path to your gear. When you enter the hallway, you see Haseo knocking on doors and alerting people.

11. - Top - End - #71

Otto

Not one to be shown up by a human, Otto kicks in doors, screaming 'Fire! Fire!" until it is no longer safe to remain in the inn.

Then he leaves.

12. - Top - End - #72

I attempt to use the cantrip Acid Splash to disable any locks on the door at a distance, and then attempt to open the door with the cantrip Mage Hand (turning the door knob and pushing as necessary).

EDIT: After the previous 2 actions, whether in success or failure, I will cast Mage Armor on myself. If both previous actions fail, I'll then attempt to break the door down with either my quarterstaff or any nearby implements that are heavier (end table, maybe?).
    Last edited by aleucard; 2014-03-14 at 06:32 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73

Telious

Telious moves to the man staying 20ft away letting him speak but still is prepared to charge if he has too.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74

BardGuy

@ redzimmer

OK, you're doing that and as you do, you still notice what Haseo is doing. It's up to you if you want to stay and help or leave.

@ aleucard

OK. You successfully do that, and as you cast Mage armor on yourself, the smoke billows from the now open doorway and Larisa stumbles through the door, still coughing on the smoke. She tries to speak, but seems to still have trouble.

@ Elysian Blade

"Sir Knight!" the man calls out, keeping his speech formal despite the circumstances. "Do you know what has happened here? I've just arrived to visit my family, but as I drew near to the town, I noticed the flames. What has caused this?"

15. - Top - End - #75

Otto

Screaming an elven curseword usually reserved for dwarves, Otto charges the burning door, swinging his morningstar to try brwaking it down.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+5)[10] charging door.
    (1d8+2)[8] damage
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2014-03-14 at 09:12 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76

I back her away from the door, and look into the room as I help her orient herself. I am positioned between her and the room she exited.

*to Larisa once she rights herself* "Did you see what set these fires? Also, is there anyone or anything important up here besides the people in the rooms towards this direction?" *indicate towards the rooms I've already checked*

*to Otto* "Quit standing like a gormless lump and check the other rooms! If fighting is needed, I'll provide ranged support while you swing away, understood?"

17. - Top - End - #77

Otto

"Very well," says the abashed warrior, listening for any others needing aid.

Spoiler: Listen check
    Show
    1d20+1[/roll]Oops. Will re-roll in OOC board.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2014-03-14 at 09:22 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78

*sees that Otto is 'checking' with his ears, slaps his own forehead hard enough to be heard*

*mutter in Terran* "I swear on my right arm, this idiot's going to be the death of me."

*in Common at normal talking volume* "When I said 'check the rooms', I meant physically LOOKING into them! Even if you could hear my heartbeat or something else equally absurd like you've probably spent the past several decades convincing yourself, doing so over the sounds of a TOWN on FIRE and with what seems to be the ENTIRETY of it's population collectively losing their minds over that fact would take more time than just popping the @#$^ *says an Ignan curse word, you know which* door open. You want to be seen as the best whatever the {BLEEP} you see yourself as? PROVE IT!"

19. - Top - End - #79

Otto

"Well I already kicked in the doors, O paladin," Otto says with a mocking bow. "By all means, I will leave the heroics to you and I will in turn stay out of your way."

With a sarcastic wave, the half-elf exits the building as quickly as he can.

Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral, CHA 8, frankly I'm surprised he even stayed to help at all.

20. - Top - End - #80

Telious

I do not know what has happened here but its to control to be an accident I want you to round up groups of people estinguishing the fires to the most important places. But before you go where is the richest person in town this is either a warning or a distraction. Telious says trying to solve this quickly.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81

BardGuy

@ aleucard

She shakes her head no, that there is not any items of importance. It takes a bit, but between words and hand gestures, she asks about the rest of the party.

@ redzimmer

OK, you go outside and see that the fire has spread all around town. Many of the citizens have already fled.

@ Elysian Blade

The man replies, "Of course sir, I will do my best. I believe the mayor of the town lives near the well in the center of town, I don't remember which house though."

22. - Top - End - #82

Telious nods his thabks as he rides to where the well is to see whats theyre.

Spoiler
    Show
    still prepared for a charge.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #83

*To Larisa* "You already overheard my 'discussion' with the fop that just left, I am unsure of the rest of them. We should leave immediately, this fire isn't going to be stagnant for long."

I direct her outside, being prepared for any possible attacks with my light crossbow at hand. On leaving the tavern, what do I see?

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trix

*Cough, cough* What is this smoke? Why is everything so warm here? Oh my god! The place is on fire! Got to leave this place! Woa, my legs are all woozy. Why have they left me alone here? Of course... this room is *supposed* to be vacant... Let's get out of here!

Waking up just in time amid the blazing inn, Trix leaves the room light-headed from all the smoke. He goes down the stairs and goes for the door but stops in his tracks. The Innkeeper would surely be thankful if Trix saved the profit of the day. He quickly goes behind the counter and takes 10 seconds to look for a box that would contain the money of the day. If he finds it he puts it in his bag and leaves.

Whether he finds it or not, he gets out, panting for fresh air. What the hell is this fire? Wait! Is the dirt on fire?
    Last edited by Artemicion; 2014-03-17 at 03:14 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85

BardGuy

@ Elysian Blade

You meet no resistance as you ride to the well and when you arrive, you see the multiple story house on fire, smoke billowing out of the upper windows. This is the only house that could be the mayor's; you are certain it is the correct one.

@ aleucard

The panicked citizens have mostly left, though a few stay in the burning city to try and put out the fire. There seem to be no aggressors, but the town is still aflame.

@ Artemicion

Yeah, you find the box of money with little trouble. There was a total of 75 gold in the box, though the coins are in various denominations.

If those questions are directed at me, then yes, even some of the dirt is on fire. Not all of it, meaning the entire path is not lit up. Some fire runs alongside the dirt paths, while at points it seems to cross the path in a line.

26. - Top - End - #86

*glares at the fire, particularly the patches that are obviously directed*

*to Larisa* "Do you know who could have done this, or maybe if one of the local leaders has done something to anger someone who could that we don't know of? This will NOT go unanswered...."

*looking around for members of the party*

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trix

Spoiler
    Show
    To Aleucard:
    I, for one, must be pretty close, since I just exit the building and haven't done anything else

Trix mutters to himself:
    "But Woe has a knack
    to always come back
    with a fierce attack"

To anyone close:
    "This is NOT natural. Anybody know what is causing this? Is it me or there's some kind of... pattern?"

Trix look around and tries to find a place with higher elevation that is hopefully not burning (a water tower maybe) so he can have a view of the village and the fire from above.
    Last edited by Artemicion; 2014-03-17 at 03:14 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trix

Trix sees Haseo and stops in his tracks. It just hit him. The apothecary.

To Haseo:
    "You know there is only one thing I fear more than brutish arrogance, and that is exploding apothecary workshops. If the flames reach the stuff in the shop we might be in for mighty fireworks. It might be a good idea to have your trip to the apothecary now and take the stuff out of the shop. If he is still alive, he will be thankful you saved his goods!

I was about to go somewhere else, but maybe I can go with you, in case the access is difficult. I was about to try to get to a higher vantage point to see if this weird fire traces any kind of pattern, but maybe our friend Larisa here can do that?"
    Last edited by Artemicion; 2014-03-17 at 05:51 AM.

29. - Top - End - #89

*to Trix* "Good idea."

*to Larisa* "Do you mind? Neither of us see any aggressors, but we can't be entirely certain. If you do see some kind of pattern, please try to memorize or trace it."

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trix

To Haseo
    "As we walk towards the apothecary, let's put both our brilliant minds at work. Fire that burns dirt along paths, then crosses these paths. Let's see..."

To Smashbro:
    What is the layout of the town? Are the streets strait, all converging towards the city center? Does the fire seem to follow strait lines? Are the buildings that are burning simply in the path of these straight lines?

To Haseo
    "The halfling bard sang a song about a great evil that was defeated here by the famous hero Merren. She also sang that woe tends to come back:

But Woe has a knack
    to always come back
    with a fierce attack

She then told me she had half invented that story, but the coincidence seems exceptional. Do you know anything about Merren or the evil she defeated?"