New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Will Save World For Gold. (Thread Mark III)

http://willsaveworldforgold.com/?p=18

I know this comics had a couple of other threads in these forums that appear to have died. But, well, given the most recent update, I felt compelled to post a new one.

So, onto newest comic (Spoiler for if your not 100% up to date.)

Spoiler
    Show
    ODIVALLUS!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! x.x

Just, just, oh my god, I mean, I might have been ok if that had been Ardon, but, Odie? I, I don't have words.
    Last edited by Metahuman1; 2014-04-03 at 11:14 AM.
    "I Burn!"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Wil Save World For Gold. (Thread Mark III)

Spoiler: If the op spoils this then I suppose I should to.
    Show
    Honestly my reaction is that Odivallus is an idiot. He didn't hear any sounds of fighting on the ground by the time he came out (unless Ardon screaming counts but his screams were getting farther away and he knew the plan was to stay on the roof.) Plus he SAW how many zombies were in front of the building before the roof collapsed. There was nothing to indicate that leaving the building was a good idea. At the very least he should have peeked before just jumping out.

This is just the end of a long string of Odivallus making poorly thought out decisions. (Heck, his decisions are even more poorly thought out than Ardon's.)
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2014-03-17 at 01:55 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Well, it had just happened the day I posted the thread, but I think I'll keep it like that for another couple of days till people can be assumed to be caught up.
    Show
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I'd have slapped his player with a rule book ages before this and explained in no uncertain terms he was playing the wrong class for that play style, and even then he needed to tone it down.

But just cause I'd do that at the table doesn't mean I don't seriously weep for a character I liked, who was, in fact, the first character we saw in this comic, and had the punchline I to this day remember best and most fondly form this comic.
    "I Burn!"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Show
    Honestly my reaction is that Odivallus is an idiot. He didn't hear any sounds of fighting on the ground by the time he came out (unless Ardon screaming counts but his screams were getting farther away and he knew the plan was to stay on the roof.) Plus he SAW how many zombies were in front of the building before the roof collapsed. There was nothing to indicate that leaving the building was a good idea. At the very least he should have peeked before just jumping out.

This is just the end of a long string of Odivallus making poorly thought out decisions. (Heck, his decisions are even more poorly thought out than Ardon's.)
    I think all of almost all of Ardon's decisions are well-thought out. They just may not be particularly pleasant thoughts.

Are you buying that whole Ardon-just-stumbles-from-one-victory-after-another ruse by LSN?
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Show

I don't think anyone was really meant to see that update and think "This was a completely unavoidable situation for which Odivallus is not at fault". I mean there was about a dozen points where this outcome could have been avoided, starting with Odivallus siding with Ardon on killing the zombies. Had he sided with El, they would all already be back home safe.

That said, I doubt he's gone for good. No idea on the timeline for him coming back, but I put it at before the end of this arc.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

And two be fair, wouldn't be the first time we were sure he was dead only to find out otherwise.
    "I Burn!"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    I don't think anyone was really meant to see that update and think "This was a completely unavoidable situation for which Odivallus is not at fault". I mean there was about a dozen points where this outcome could have been avoided, starting with Odivallus siding with Ardon on killing the zombies. Had he sided with El, they would all already be back home safe.

That said, I doubt he's gone for good. No idea on the timeline for him coming back, but I put it at before the end of this arc.
    Sure, but "This could be avoided" and "What an idiot" are not the same things. (And I don't think wanting to help the village was a bad thing.)

Edit: Perhaps I should rephrase. My reaction to Odivallus steping outside was "Odivallus you idiot." My reaction to seeing him get zombified was "Oh Crap".

Though I really hope someone other than Ardon (not that Ardon can't as well) calls him out on his decision making once he is among the living again.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2014-03-17 at 10:34 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Newest Strip(s).
    Show
    Ok, So, it look's like Odi will survive and the others will get out in one piece, I suddenly feel concerned for the skull, Elle getting to punch Ardon in the face was AWESOME!, and I think she's really, truly getting fed up with him. Which might actually force him to start growing for real out of being a horrible sociopathic murderer. (I though he had been doing this up till the halfling awhile back.)

So, regarding the zombies and were there coming from, 3 things come to mind.

1: 45 is pulling strings trying to get Ardon Killed while saving face on the bet so that he can collect that bounty.

2: Ardon's dad is trying this as his warm up, possibly just to get a better feel on what his son and his son's party can do at this point in time. I like this one the least cause of that interlude we last saw him in though.

3: There just opponents in a quest meant for much higher level adventurers, and thus, all that happened was Ardon tried to steal glory, money and XP and bit off more then the party could chew in the process.
    "I Burn!"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Hmmm. Quite a spoiler-heavy thread so far. But then, I'm a hypocrite.

Spoiler
    Show
    So Odivallus is alive? Any ideas how?
    Quote Originally Posted by OrcusMcP View Post
    More quality harrumphing from Dragolord! 2 points! Arguments: 5 points. This has everything I would want in this kind of argument: clear and passionate demagoguery, with calls to glory and nascent nationalism, rejection of the old way and pressing forward into the new future! Love it!
    Player of this awesome game.

Dragolord out.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Hahahah such a spoiler heavy thread.

I'm not gonna put a spoiler in my comment though~

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Is there a reason the thread title is misspelled?
    Wolfen Houndog - The World in Revolt (4e)
    The Mythic Warrior, a 3.5 base class that severs limbs and sunders armor
    The Nameless One, converted to 3.5 and 5e

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thereaper View Post
    Is there a reason the thread title is misspelled?
    Because apparently my DM failed to inform me that he was running some kinda crit failure rules, and they applied to my perception check when I made the original post to make sure I had spelled everything right.

That having been said, thank you for pointing it out, I have now corrected it.
    "I Burn!"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Will Save World For Gold. (Thread Mark III)

Oh. Oh, this is definitely not good. Dear Pelor, they're actually
    Spoiler
    Show
    ALIVE!?
    More quality harrumphing from Dragolord! 2 points! Arguments: 5 points. This has everything I would want in this kind of argument: clear and passionate demagoguery, with calls to glory and nascent nationalism, rejection of the old way and pressing forward into the new future! Love it!

Dragolord out.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Well ****. This isn't going to go over well.
    "I Burn!"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Hypocrite!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Soooo… anyone know what the curse/disease is? Some kind of kooky 4e thing or what?

Dragolord out.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

my bet is that it's some kind of intelligence draining/targeting thing.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragolord View Post
    Hypocrite!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Soooo… anyone know what the curse/disease is? Some kind of kooky 4e thing or what?
    Are you referring to Ardon, what's his face that's working with Ardon, or the Paladin that just gave Elle the most un-paladin like talking to I've heard this side of Miko?
    "I Burn!"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    Are you referring to Ardon, what's his face that's working with Ardon, or the Paladin that just gave Elle the most un-paladin like talking to I've heard this side of Miko?
    Meh. He is still all about saving people rather than just smiting evil/perceived evil. Most "bad" paladins, Miko included, tend to be the latter.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Well, um, neither, admittedly. I meant myself a little bit. But is whatsisname the paladin really unpaladanical? It's an attitude that I haven't seen before,yes, but it's an interesting concept.

Oh, and now we know. And, someone called it. Cool.

Dragolord out.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Well, this explains why Odi was acting like an idiot. He was literally an idiot.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragolord View Post
    Well, um, neither, admittedly. I meant myself a little bit. But is whatsisname the paladin really unpaladanical? It's an attitude that I haven't seen before,yes, but it's an interesting concept.

Oh, and now we know. And, someone called it. Cool.
    Um, yeah, saying "you suck at this not cause people died, but because the others will question why good aligned deity's would ever allow that to happen to them personally." is not really in keeping with the knight in shining armor paragon of morality theme of the paladin. Religious Zealot who is a Religious Zealot first champion of morality distant second? Sure. Paladin? Not so much.

If he'd been giving her a dressing down for following Ardon rather then breaking off from him with whomever she could get to come with her, or for not finding a way to Cow Ardon enough to keep him in line, or for just flat not thinking this through better before acting, that would have been in keeping with being a Paladin. This? No.
    "I Burn!"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Um, yeah, saying "you suck at this not cause people died, but because the others will question why good aligned deity's would ever allow that to happen to them personally." is not really in keeping with the knight in shining armor paragon of morality theme of the paladin. Religious Zealot who is a Religious Zealot first champion of morality distant second? Sure. Paladin? Not so much.

If he'd been giving her a dressing down for following Ardon rather then breaking off from him with whomever she could get to come with her, or for not finding a way to Cow Ardon enough to keep him in line, or for just flat not thinking this through better before acting, that would have been in keeping with being a Paladin. This? No.
    As to Erald's speech, I was trying to keep it from dragging on for multiple pages while still getting across what this new character is all about. The in-character explanation is that he can plainly see Ell felt terrible about what her party did, so he didn't see the need to rub it in her face. Instead he explained the larger ramifications (as he sees it) which she might not be aware of.

As for Ardon, they've only known him for ten minutes and paladins don't have detect evil in 4e. Give it time.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I'm not going to turn this into a long debate about the first part, but if you remember, he thought that Ell wad the leader of the party. He didn't know that she was just following orders, he thought that she had made the decision to kill them all herself.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStarNorth View Post
    As to Erald's speech, I was trying to keep it from dragging on for multiple pages while still getting across what this new character is all about. The in-character explanation is that he can plainly see Ell felt terrible about what her party did, so he didn't see the need to rub it in her face. Instead he explained the larger ramifications (as he sees it) which she might not be aware of.

As for Ardon, they've only known him for ten minutes and paladins don't have detect evil in 4e. Give it time.
    Holy Vecna, you read this? Keep on webcomic-ing!

Dragolord out.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Kudos on this one, I've always hated the whole trope regarding characters instantly "just knowing" if someone's evil/horrible.

Ardon's obviously a tool, but they've barely seen how bad he can be yet, at all.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, that actually makes more sense too me. Particularly when combined with "Whoops, though you were running the show here.".

As an Aside, regarding today's' strip, Ardon Jumping into 45's arms was a VERY nice touch sir! XD!
    "I Burn!"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Wow, so these two have names, class levels, and a recurring villain?
    Spoiler
    Show
    They're definitely PCs.

Dragolord out.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

They also have the little pictures of there faces that pop up when they have there word bubbles for talking.
    "I Burn!"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

They also have the little pictures of there faces that pop up when they have there word bubbles for talking.
    Oh, yeah! I missed that, thanks.
    Last edited by Dragolord; 2014-04-22 at 12:52 AM.

Dragolord out.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

No problem. Also, i'm calling it now, Ardon is gonna do SOMETHING that is either gonna set the new party members on him and the rest of them, or he's gonna get them killed through his actions either directly or indirectly.
    "I Burn!"

30. - Top - End - #30

No problem. Also, i'm calling it now, Ardon is gonna do SOMETHING that is either gonna set the new party members on him and the rest of them, or he's gonna get them killed through his actions either directly or indirectly.
    I don't think he is that stupid, he will raise suspicions, but he wont go slaughter babies or something