New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments III - We've Left a Banana In Charge

Maybe a "themes and message" section?
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

2. - Top - End - #392
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments III - We've Left a Banana In Charge

Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    I like that as a title.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    That's a good point. A category about what points Rich wants to make with the comic?
    Yes. Here are a couple of examples:
    - This one is in the Alignment section, it's got nothing to do with alignment and a lot to do with the Giant's intent. It includes the point "fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism", which I've seen people refer to quite a few times, either to approve it or to protest against it.
    - This one is in "storytelling mistakes", for reasons that are beyond me.

I'm sure I could find more if I go comb everything.

"Themes and messages" is not bad as a title if we agree to create such a section, but I'd suggest something like "The author's intent regarding the real world".
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2014-07-26 at 10:19 PM.

4. - Top - End - #394

"themes and messages".
    But yea, I like it.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

And, another new quote.

Peelee’s Lotsey

6. - Top - End - #396

How about "everything the characters say is attributable to the author" as a summary?

7. - Top - End - #397
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    How about "everything the characters say is attributable to the author" as a summary?
    That looks good, but perhaps we could broaden it to (as the Giant says) every aspect of the comic?

Peelee’s Lotsey

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

So far, people have said that the four quotes can be added in as a "see also" to existing entries.
    Hmm. I think it's a little tenuous to claim "all four" was implied by those posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    - This one is in the Alignment section, it's got nothing to do with alignment and a lot to do with the Giant's intent. It includes the point "fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism", which I've seen people refer to quite a few times, either to approve it or to protest against it.

Well, those both look like "closest fit to an existing section" categorization....Guess when I have the time I'll go through every entry, see if I can find enough to warrant adding a new section. In the meantime...feel free to comb away!

Actually wait...the "petty escapism" quote is a see also? OK, pretty sure that one deserves its own entry, let me work something up....

Now then, this is where I think we're at for entries with new quotes:

LGBT Characters
    Why there aren't more in the comic. Also see this, and what the Giant is doing about it now.
    #882 04/08/2013
    Authorship and Responsibility
    "Every aspect of the comic is under my direct control, so the only person who should be judged regarding the appropriateness of the language is me...." Also see this.
    #959 07/27/2014
    The Importance Of Messages in Stories
    "The author should not leave out his or her message so as not to disrupt the delicate story."
    #959 07/25/2014
    The Purpose of Fiction
    "Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism." See also here.
    #835 02/14/2012

Still not sure how to most effectively cite the tweet(s?), since without the articles/rules it doesn't make much sense.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ettin in the Playground

Make the tweets effectively one entry. In that entry, also link to the article and include a sentence about how the 5e rules are more open about gender, gender identity, etc. Something like, "For reference, here is the article Rich was commenting on, and the discussion is about how the rules in 5th Edition take into account gender, gender identity, and sexuality." (And make "here is the article" a link; I'm too lazy. ;) )
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Titan in the Playground

"Themes and messages" is not bad as a title if we agree to create such a section, but I'd suggest something like "The author's intent regarding the real world".
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Well, those both look like "closest fit to an existing section" categorization....Guess when I have the time I'll go through every entry, see if I can find enough to warrant adding a new section. In the meantime...feel free to comb away!
    OK, here's what I ended up with for our current entries that could fit with such a section:

Real World Intent
    On Distasteful Jokes in OOTS
    "I simply have no interest in doing so anymore because I have grown the **** up since then...."
    #935 12/20/2013
    Tarquin's Internal and External Evil
    About the message that the Giant developed Tarquin's character in part to convey.
    #934 12/08/2013
    On the story taking a more moral stance
    Two reasons from the author.
    #931 11/19/2013
    Stereotypes and Characters
    More thoughts on stereotypes, including race, weight, and vocation.
    #931 11/19/2013
    Slut-shaming in OOTS
    Rich apologizes for Haley's slut-shaming in the comic, and gives further thoughts.
    #931 11/18/2013
    Challenging Storytelling Conventions
    "[There are] people who need to have their strict views on storytelling challenged. Much like Tarquin does."
    #930 11/13/2013
    Art Should Challenge Preconceptions #891 06/07/2013
    LGBT Characters
    Why there aren't more in the comic. Also see this.
    #882 04/08/2013
    D&D, Alignment, and Morality
    Rich on the comic's criticism of the way D&D has been played for over three decades. "D&D cannot and should not begin and end at black-and-white, and indeed already doesn't, if everyone would just learn to look at things a little more complexly." See also here (D&D "racism" and alignment) and here (the real world applicability of Redcloak's story).
    #835 02/14/2012

That half of its entries are currently in some of the larger tables ("Storytelling Mistakes?" and "Writing Process and Story Development") is a nice bonus. What's everyone think?

Quote Originally Posted by Zherog View Post
    Make the tweets effectively one entry. In that entry, also link to the article and include a sentence about how the 5e rules are more open about gender, gender identity, etc. Something like, "For reference, here is the article Rich was commenting on, and the discussion is about how the rules in 5th Edition take into account gender, gender identity, and sexuality." (And make "here is the article" a link; I'm too lazy. ;) )
    So....Something like this?

The Giant Applauding 5E D&D's Acknowledgement of Diversity
    Specifically, how the core rules take into account gender, gender identity, and sexuality; as referred to the article here.
    #958 07/24/2014

11. - Top - End - #401
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

OK, here's what I ended up with for our current entries that could fit with such a section:

Real World Intent
    On Distasteful Jokes in OOTS
    "I simply have no interest in doing so anymore because I have grown the **** up since then...."
    #935 12/20/2013
    Tarquin's Internal and External Evil
    About the message that the Giant developed Tarquin's character in part to convey.
    #934 12/08/2013
    On the story taking a more moral stance
    Two reasons from the author.
    #931 11/19/2013
    Stereotypes and Characters
    More thoughts on stereotypes, including race, weight, and vocation.
    #931 11/19/2013
    Slut-shaming in OOTS
    Rich apologizes for Haley's slut-shaming in the comic, and gives further thoughts.
    #931 11/18/2013
    Challenging Storytelling Conventions
    "[There are] people who need to have their strict views on storytelling challenged. Much like Tarquin does."
    #930 11/13/2013
    Art Should Challenge Preconceptions #891 06/07/2013
    LGBT Characters
    #882 04/08/2013
    D&D, Alignment, and Morality
    Rich on the comic's criticism of the way D&D has been played for over three decades. "D&D cannot and should not begin and end at black-and-white, and indeed already doesn't, if everyone would just learn to look at things a little more complexly." See also here (D&D "racism" and alignment) and here (the real world applicability of Redcloak's story).
    #835 02/14/2012

That half of its entries are currently in some of the larger tables ("Storytelling Mistakes?" and "Writing Process and Story Development") is a nice bonus. What's everyone think?
    I like the look of it, and how it will reduce the size of some of our larger tables.

Peelee’s Lotsey

12. - Top - End - #402

Great stuff, Jasdoif. I like the title of the new section, too. Did you look at the entire Index to fish those quotes? I wanted to do it, but lacked the time. I think this change is going to make the whole thing look much better organized overall. Some sections were getting too big, with too varied content to remain useful. This is way better.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Troll in the Playground

Yay there's new quotes to discuss!

It certainly seems to tie into an existing entry in the Index:

LGBT Characters
    #882 04/08/2013

I guess the question is if the new one would work better as another "see also", or if the entry should be rewritten to use this new quote as the main point and make the others "see also"s.
    The optimizers must love that quote
    I think trying to not offend people is a worthwhile goal. Unless they get offended by less-than-optimum D&D tactics, in which case to hell with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

Did you look at the entire Index to fish those quotes? I wanted to do it, but lacked the time.
    I got woken up about an hour early this morning, so I looked through the entries in the Index for ones that looked like (or that I remembered would) fit with this proposed category. I didn't check every linked quote, so it's certainly possible I missed some.

I think this change is going to make the whole thing look much better organized overall. Some sections were getting too big, with too varied content to remain useful. This is way better.
    I sure hope so....In any case, unless there's sufficient objections forthcoming, I plan to get to this reorganization sometime today/tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    The optimizers must love that quote
    I think trying to not offend people is a worthwhile goal. Unless they get offended by less-than-optimum D&D tactics, in which case to hell with them.
    I gather they could relate well to that quote, yes. Someone being offended by an optimizer's character decisions would be as frustrating as someone being offended by the Giant's character decisions, I imagine.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

In any case, unless there's sufficient objections forthcoming, I plan to get to this reorganization sometime today/tonight.
    "No objections" clearly falls short of "sufficient objections" I've added the new "Real World Intent" table into the "Story, Plot, and Characters" section....And I just realized that means the "Story, Plot, and Characters" section has 13 tables now, while the second-most section in that regard is Art with...4 tables. That can't be convenient....

OK, so if we add a "Writing" section...I think I could move "Storytelling Mistakes?", "Plot Holes", "Writing Process and Story Development", the new "Real World Intent", "Character Names" (probably calling it Character Naming since that's slightly more accurate for the quotes there) and "The Story as a D&D Spoof" to it. Giving us a 7 and a 6...which is still higher than the 4, but should be more manageable to look through than the 13 there is now.

Anyone have comments/suggestions/disdain for this idea?

16. - Top - End - #406
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

OK, so if we add a "Writing" section...I think I could move "Storytelling Mistakes?", "Plot Holes", "Writing Process and Story Development", the new "Real World Intent", "Character Names" (probably calling it Character Naming since that's slightly more accurate for the quotes there) and "The Story as a D&D Spoof" to it. Giving us a 7 and a 6...which is still higher than the 4, but should be more manageable to look through than the 13 there is now.

I like the sound of that. Hopefully it will make the Index even easier to search through.

Peelee’s Lotsey

17. - Top - End - #407

"No objections" clearly falls short of "sufficient objections" I've added the new "Real World Intent" table into the "Story, Plot, and Characters" section....And I just realized that means the "Story, Plot, and Characters" section has 13 tables now, while the second-most section in that regard is Art with...4 tables. That can't be convenient....

Right. "Story, Plot and Characters" is too wide a category anyway and was bound to explode. Separating "Writing" is a good way to do it cleanly. We leave the explanations of the characters' development etc, and we get a new section with the author's intent IRL. At the present rate, that section will grow (the recent quotes spurred by #959 commentary are coming). If it goes on in the same vein, we may have to revise further but we aren't there yet.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2014-07-30 at 06:20 AM.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Hinjo is colorblind .

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Aha, I did miss a post here earlier! Though I prefer Gwynfrid's summary; Focusing on the Hinjo portion strikes me as missing the tropical forest for the banana trees.
    (Note to self: posts getting missed by self because they're near the bottom of the page still sucks when it happens to posters other than self)

Actually...it it'd be a great accompaniment to this quote, wouldn't it?

So that would put us at....

LGBT Characters
    Why there aren't more in the comic. Also see this, and what the Giant is doing about it now.
    #882 04/08/2013
    "Every aspect of the comic is under my direct control, so the only person who should be judged regarding the appropriateness of the language is me...." Also see this.
    #959 07/27/2014
    "The author should not leave out his or her message so as not to disrupt the delicate story." See also here.
    #959 07/25/2014
    The Purpose of Fiction
    "Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism." See also here.
    #835 02/14/2012
    Specifically, how the core rules take into account gender, gender identity, and sexuality; as referred to the article here.
    #958 07/24/2014

Incidentally....Is it my banan-imagination, or have we had an unusually low amount of discussion on this latest batch of quotes?

20. - Top - End - #410
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Incidentally....Is it my banan-imagination, or have we had an unusually low amount of discussion on this latest batch of quotes?
    If you mean discussion about their inclusion, then I think that's right. I guess we all agree that the quotes fit the rules.

Peelee’s Lotsey

21. - Top - End - #411

If you mean discussion about their inclusion, then I think that's right. I guess we all agree that the quotes fit the rules.
    Yes, I think that much is obvious.

Now of course if you're referring to discussion of the quotes' contents, then it's another story altogether - off-topic for this thread, I hasten to say

22. - Top - End - #412

Yes, I think that much is obvious.

Now of course if you're referring to discussion of the quotes' contents, then it's another story altogether - off-topic for this thread, I hasten to say
    There's also been a bit more discussion about how best to summarize and organize the latest quotes. But yea, no disagreement about whether to include them.
    Fitting, since they are quotes about inclusion

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Aha, I did miss a post here earlier! Though I prefer Gwynfrid's summary; Focusing on the Hinjo portion strikes me as missing the tropical forest for the banana trees.(Note to self: posts getting missed by self because they're near the bottom of the page still sucks when it happens to posters other than self)

Actually...it it'd be a great accompaniment to this quote, wouldn't it?

So that would put us at....

LGBT Characters
    #882 04/08/2013
    #959 07/27/2014
    "The author should not leave out his or her message so as not to disrupt the delicate story." See also here.
    #959 07/25/2014
    The Purpose of Fiction
    #835 02/14/2012
    #958 07/24/2014

I'd actually like to chime in for that quote getting its own entry, just because I know that when I go hunting for it, at least, I'm going to be looking for the "(also, Hinjo is colorblind)" addition as its identifying feature distinct from his other discussions.
    Last edited by DaggerPen; 2014-07-30 at 07:58 PM.

Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.

24. - Top - End - #414

I'd actually like to chime in for that quote getting its own entry, just because I know that when I go hunting for it, at least, I'm going to be looking for the "(also, Hinjo is colorblind)" addition as its identifying feature distinct from his other discussions.
    The two really address one and the same subject, so I'd rather not separate them. On the other hand, Hinjo's color-blindness is important as a signpost, because it's memorable. I'm proposing a compromise:

LGBT Characters
    #882 04/08/2013
    #959 07/27/2014
    "The author should not leave out his or her message so as not to disrupt the delicate story." See also here: "The story is a tool for getting my ideas across, nothing more." On a totally related note: Hinjo is color-blind.
    #959 07/25/2014
    The Purpose of Fiction
    #835 02/14/2012
    #958 07/24/2014

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

That looks good to me.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

New post, though I'm not sure if it covers much new ground aside from people appreciate #959.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    New post, though I'm not sure if it covers much new ground aside from people appreciate #959.
    I don't think that one's very necessary, IMO. Really doesn't address anything beyond fan politics. And I say this as a person who usually errs fairly heavily on inclusion.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2014-07-31 at 12:56 AM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

28. - Top - End - #418
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

LGBT Characters
    #882 04/08/2013

Here's some discussion then I'd prefer it if we refrain from using the word "now" in this entry and change it to "as of # (comic number)" or "as of (date of linked post)".
    "One need not hope in order to undertake, nor succeed in order to persevere."

29. - Top - End - #419
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    I don't think that one's very necessary, IMO. Really doesn't address anything beyond fan politics. And I say this as a person who usually errs fairly heavily on inclusion.
    I agree. It seems more cathartic than informational.

30. - Top - End - #420

I agree with Porthos and Bird. No need to include that one.