New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Banned

Default Re: [nWoD] God-Machine Update

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    I'll take that as a "no."
    You should instead take it as "the question is invalid and weighted to give credence to a silly answer", but no; nothing that was written about the game has changed, people just saw that when you actually play it, it works.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheOOB View Post
    I'm not sold on the idea of beats. I love making character aspirations important, I love making dramatic failures and suffering from conditions having an upside, but I hate character advancing at different rates, and I hate the erratic and often glacial advancement pace it can have.
    For uneven character advancement, try the Group Beats sidebar (which frankly should have been the default in the first place). If the pace is still too slow for your tastes, you could houserule in a slightly lower Beat:XP ratio.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    It works much better in actual play.

It looks bad on paper or in white room combat, but in game it functions fairly well. Circumstantial bonuses, teamwork, conditions and spending willpower make all the difference.
    Cool. That's basically what about half the people discussing it originally argued would happen, but all the attempts to actually test it petered out and no one brought it up again after more time had passed.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    For uneven character advancement, try the Group Beats sidebar (which frankly should have been the default in the first place). If the pace is still too slow for your tastes, you could houserule in a slightly lower Beat:XP ratio.
    I'd agree that group beats should be the norm.

That solution works, another possiblity is to give out some base xp. Maybe just give a free xp every session instead of a free beat.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

5. - Top - End - #65
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheOOB View Post
    I'd agree that group beats should be the norm.

That solution works, another possiblity is to give out some base xp. Maybe just give a free xp every session instead of a free beat.
    That does seem to be what one of the writers decided to do in their own games, so it's got a rather strong precedent.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    That does seem to be what one of the writers decided to do in their own games, so it's got a rather strong precedent.
    Makes sense. I *hate* the idea that it's not only possibly, but likely a player can go through an entire session and not be able to advance their character at all. I might also give an extra point or two at the end of a story, to make it feel more meaningful.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion