New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default [IC] The Steel Bonnets

Miriam's tale: how the monk of Ravenchester stole his own horse
    Spoiler
    Show

You're all sitting around in Sir Henry Stanley's mansion, where you've stayed for a few days while judging some minor legal disputes. You're waiting out a rainy fall day while you wait for the weather to improve enough for you to ride on. Now is a good time to recount some tales of your past.

Miriam: the first time the Warden sent you out on your own, you were called to the Abbey of Ravencester, where Arnold Fitzwarren, one of the monks, had accused Sally Scott of Catsford of stealing his horse. The Catsford Scotts are a notorious clan of bandits and ruffians who would steal a horse as soon as look at one... but you'd also done some sneaking around and discovered that Arnold was sleeping with Sally's husband, so you suspected that he wanted to use you to settle a personal dispute.

What did you do? Did you find out whether the monk's story was true? Did you resolve the dispute?
    "well, the monk was no criminal mastermind, let me tell you. The man didn't even bother to wear a dark cloak when he crept out to the cave. I think he may have looked behind him once, maybe twice. I could have been carrying a torch and whistling a tune and he might not have spotted me. It did appear that he was actually taking care of the horse though, so I decided a little mercy was called for. I brought the horse back to the abbey the next morning. Rang the bell, made sure everyone was nice and alert when I lectured the monk on not blaming other people for his own inability to lock a stall door behind him, and how he should do a better job of taking responsibility for himself instead of making other people do the work for him. I thought his ears were going to catch fire, they turned so red. He started calling me all kinds of names. Knew some interesting curses, for a man of the cloth. His superior grabbed him by the ear and dragged him off."

She sets the leghold trap she's been working on down and attempts to set it off with a piece of firewood. The trap closes with something far slower than a snap, the jagged edges not managing to penetrate the wood at all. She fiddles with it a bit more, then tries again. This time, it snaps the piece of firewood in two. "Ah, that's better." She slips the trap into a leather bag. "I got to spend the night standing guard on the monk's door, as Sally's husband wasn't too thrilled with him either. And was in possession of a fairly large axe. By morning, Arnold was on his way to his 'next assignment'. I got the impression it was not in a very pleasant location. I should add that he went on his way on foot. The abbey kept the horse."

Gerend's tale: a dead dog in Carcorry, and how it died
    Spoiler
    Show

Sir Henry laughs heartily at Miriam's tale of the monk who stole his own horse. "That's a good one," he roars approvingly, "I reckon you're not an easy woman to cheat!"

The Alban Warden, Martin O'the Wall, says little and sits near the back of the gathering, keeping his own counsel. He's a canny man, though he has trouble riding since he lost his leg to an infected wound four months back. He shoots Miriam an approving glance when nobody else is looking.

"Tell us another," says Sir Henry's son Crispin. "A scary one!"

Gerand, you can remember a story like that. After your family's destruction, you'd spent a while in Carcorry, one of the larger cities in the borderlands. It was during your first week there that you stumbled across the carcass of a feral dog, split cleanly down the middle from snout to tail and splayed across the middle of the street like a butcher's stall. Everyone else steered clear of the gruesome sight, but for some reason you decided to investigate.

What had happened to the poor animal? And could you stop it from happening again?

"A couple years ago, me and a few friends of mine were in Carcorry," Gerand began slow, staring into the fire in front of him. "I remember, we were traveling through the market when we came upon this dog. A dead dog, cut straight along the spine, into the things skull. It's innards were stretched out along the ground, almost like two wet wings coming out of it. I remember the smell most of all, the thing smelled rotten and decaying. Flies and maggots already the thing, and had eaten out it's eyes. It had to have been there for a long time, right there in corner of the market, in front of some house. But no one went near it. When we asked about it, we were just told not to touch it. That the thing was a curse.

Well, we weren't ones to be too afraid of any ridiculous curse. And Aemlahd, one of my friends, always had a liking for dogs and animals, so he had to know what was going on. So we went closer and tried to figure out what happened. When we got close, we saw the animal wasn't just cut. Something had tried to eat it, besides the maggots. Aemlahd looked at the bite marks for a long time before he told us, that whatever had tried to take a bite out of the dog had been a man. Not some animal looking to scavenge, but a normal man, or maybe more. Different bite marks were different sizes. We couldn't tell where it came from, so we went to the house that the dog was in front of, to see if maybe they had seen something. The house looked normal to me, peaceful, and empty. But Aemlahd just charged in, and as soon as the door opened I could smell it. The smell of death and maggots, and more. It reeked like a wound that had gone bad, the whole house.

It was dark, but we heard the crunching, moaning, slurping noises. We tried to move quietly, but I know that anyone with ears could have heard us stumbling along in the dark. But finally we reached the source of the noise, and..." Gerand paused for a moment and shook his head. "It was a man and his little girl, they were eating a crow, raw and with feathers. There was blood everywhere, and in the corner, there was a woman, and a little boy. Both of them were torn apart just like the dog in the street. I don't know for certain, but the woman looked like the little girl's mother. The little girl that must have taken a part of eating her. Anyway, this was too much for Aemlahd and he charged the two. And they just looked up, and smiled at him. Blood dripping down their faces, and hollow, vacant eyes. He cut into the father, slashed him so hard his head near came off. That was when the little girl jumped on him and started to bite. He howled and so I came to help him. I pulled the girl off and started bashing her to knock her unconscious. But no matter how hard I hit she just kept trying to claw at me, bite me. Until I hit her too hard, and she dropped like a stone. I thought it was over, but then I felt a coldness come over me. The room was dark, but somehow for a second it became darker. I shook and reached out for Aemlahd to see if we should leave, but when I touched him on his shoulder and saw his eyes, I knew. He wasn't my friend any longer. He jumped on me, bit me." Gerand toyed with the nub where his left ear used to be. "Nothing else to do, I stabbed him. More times than I could count, but he kept on biting, until there was nothing left of his jaw to bite me with. I laid there, shouting in the blood for I don't know how long. No one ever came to see what the commotion was about. When I finally dragged myself from under my friends corpse I left, I grabbed what I could and left Carcorry. I don't know what demon did that, I don't know what curse that dog put on those people, or my friend. I don't even know why it didn't take me like it did Aemlahd. And honestly, I don't care. I'm never going back to that city."

The evening draws later. It's a moonless night, chill and cloudless... a night to spend indoors by the fire, and later on, curled under a mountain of featherbeds. It's perhaps two in the morning when a knock comes at the hall door. Or, less a knock than a fusillade of angry, rhythmic blows that set all Sir Henry's dogs barking at once.

Where are you all and what do you do?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: [IC] The Steel Bonnets

Miriam throws the blanket back and lets out a string of soft curses before rising. She dresses quickly and grabs her weapons before opening the door to her room and glancing out to take stock of the location of the others.

(Miriam is a fairly tall woman. Her blond hair is still secured in a long braid down the center of her back, though it is somewhat disheveled due to rising from bed. She favors sturdy clothing in greens and browns. She often looks older than her nineteen years, and time spent following the warden has given her lean muscle and a tendency to favor trousers over skirts.)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Gerand had slept curled up in a corner of the hall. Half finished food he had been eating before he fell asleep was strewn around him.

His eyes flickered open as he heard the angry knock. He yawned as he slowly got to his feet, and stretched out his back until he heard his bones pop into place. He noticed on the other side of the room that girl who told the story about the monk was getting the door. That kind of knocking always means trouble, so he took the time he had left to grab his sword and a large piece of bread off the ground. He rested the sword on his shoulder, and began to quickly wolf down the dirty bread.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Outside the hall door is a boy of about ten, gasping with the effort of a long, panicky run through the dark. He's bleeding freely from some nasty scrapes on his arms, legs and bare feet; plainly he's fallen more than once. He appears to be on the verge of collapse.

"Weatherburn..." he pants. "Burning... raiders... everyone else... still inside..."

Sir Henry blunders down the stairs, pulling on his hose and calling for his sword.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Ser Gregor enjoyed the tales, and the meat, and the wine....his scowl lightened on the bearing of good food and merriment, and better company.

He had not entered the hall with his armor, but his sword was on his hip, the large family heirloom cindere. He snored in his chair, the fur cloak of his, bearskin, wrapped around him as his head lay on the table surrounded by half eaten trenchers, and the remnants of the nights frivolity.

He awoke to a startle at the banging on the door, instantly standing, his hand was on the pommel of his sword, he cleared the room with his eyes and narrowed his brows.

It's too early for such noise. He thought to himself.

Seeing others move as well, he allowed them to open the door, reaching the table for some cold soup in a half eaten trencher to fill his belly.

Upon seeing the boy, he ushers him in, placing him by the fire, looking around for a servant he sees none and attempts to stoke the fire for the boy, placing the half trencher in the boys hands, wrapping him in a blanket he stands and moves to armor himself.

Once armored he moves out to find his horse and move with all speed.

Spoiler
    Show

It this far (as in needing a horse?)
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2014-03-18 at 01:18 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Yep, trouble. Gerand sighed as he looked for any other scrap he could quickly wolf down while everyone else was waking themselves up. He found some half eaten leg of some kind of bird on the table with an almost full tankard of wine. He devoured the first and guzzled down the second, as the rest of the hall was starting to frantically get their things together. He wiped his mouth with the back of his hand before he made his way to his little corner of the hall and started to strap on his breastplate.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Weatherburn Farm is about four miles off, Sir Henry explains hurriedly. It's a large household, and old master Weatherburn the farmer employs a number of men and women, especially during the autumn harvest. Horses are probably the best way there, although the lad covered the distance on foot.

The boy himself huddles near the fire, shivering despite the warmth. He sips carefully at the soup, glancing every now and then at Ser Gregor and the legendary sword he wears at his side.

Martin, the Alban warden, clunks his way down the stairs, balancing awkwardly on his one remaining leg. He looks relatively alert for this time of night, but his face is rueful.

"Am I riding this road with you?", he asks his deputies. "Or do I stay behind with the children? I'll let you decide; if you think I'll be more hindrance than help, I'll stay here."

[Anything else to do before you leave? Miriam, btw, can you let me know which country you've decided to come from?]

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Ser Gregor looks to the Warden and shakes his head, "Nay good Martin, you stay here, and ward these here while we go yonder into the cold night, stay warm and refreshed."

He turns to the others and looks them up and down, as if asking are you ready?, making sure they seemed so, he pulled on his splint mail and checked his sword and dagger, he was ready.

"Let us go then, before we waste any more time!" he says, moving off into the darkened hall to fetch his horse, making sure to grab a burning torch from a sconce as he goes.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Martin looks sidelong at his southern counterpart. Not that the advice is bad, necessarily, but it would come easier from his fellow Albans than this southern lordling.

[Anyone who has stuff to do before leaving can post it retrospectively.]

Gregor leads the way to the stables, where the horses are already being saddled. With torches held high, you set off into the night. There's a sliver of waning moon, but not much light beyond what you carry for yourselves... until you get nearer to the farmhouse. As you approach, you can see a faint glow from over the next hill, and hear the crackle of flames.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

"The knightling's right," Gerand mumbled as he passed Martin. "It'd be smarter for your wardenship to call up what support you can, in case we can't fight them off. No matter what we'll need more help to push back into the wilds. Make sure raiders don't come again."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Miriam nocks an arrow as they approach. 'Survivors?' she asks, her voice coldly furious. She slides from her horse and steps into the shadows, prepared for a stealthy approach or to cover the others as needed.
    Last edited by PrettiestFrog; 2014-03-20 at 10:44 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Miriam: you slip stealthily up to the crest of the hill and look down...
    [Miriam only]
    Spoiler
    Show

The farmhouse is a sturdy building, and it's been a wet autumn. Although the thatched roof is roaring with flame, the rest of the building is still only beginning to catch on fire. At the gable window, you see movement silhouetted against the light. There are definitely still survivors, and you wonder what's stopping them from getting out--- until you spot the shadowy figures of two raiders standing at the front door, with what looks like a corpse lying at their feet. Although you can't see the back door from where you are, it's probably similarly blocked.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Miriam returns quickly to her comrades, a furious expression on her face. "There are survivors in the building, but the raiders are trying to keep them inside, with the fire. If we strike quickly, we can open an egress and get them out." (she quickly describes what she saw of the layout).

She nocks an arrow and prepares to move out as soon as the warden gives the order.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Ser Gregor nodded to the woman, he grimaced, damned bandits most likely, but this far in? He shook his head from the nights cobwebs, clearing his thoughts.

Jumping down, he tied his horse to a tree, "Lets go then, we can't waste any time with lives at stake." he drew his sword and smiled grimly as the blade left traces of opaque smoke in its wake, it would drink deep this night...

He moves with the stealth of his age, not much, but helped by the smoke, weather, and time of day, managing to see the guards Miriam spoke of, he situates himself, and then checks to make sure the others were nearby, and then steps out.

"You are both under arrest, by law of the land, and the Marshalls who uphold that Law, lay down your weapons, or prepare yourself for death."

Spoiler: Manuevers & stuff
    Show

Stance: Martial Spirit

Maneuvers
    1. Axiom Burst
    2. Crusaders Strike *
    3. Vanguard Strike
    4. Douse the Flames *
    5. Cold Law Strike

(1d5)[2]
    (1d4)[4]

He readies an attack against any aggressive attacker who comes within range:
    Attack - (1d20+7)[14]
    Damage - (1d10+4)[5] +1 fire damage

Sheet
    AC: 16
    Vitality: 27/27
    Wound points: 14/14
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2014-04-01 at 06:24 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Miriam returns to the shadows and readies her bow. If any of the bandits make a move on the boss, she's going to put an arrow in them.

Spoiler: Stat stuff
    Show

Stealth [1d20+8] 15
    Attack [1d20+5] 16
    Damage [1d6+1] 3 plus sneak attack [2d6] 7
    if within 30', add 1 to attack and damage

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Gerand got off his horse and walked when they got near. He moved off to the side in a hope to get the drop on the guards. Drawing his sword he spit off to the side and scowled at the men. These cowardly sacks of piss where who are destroying Alba. Those who don't accept the laws, will have to be killed.

He thought he was getting well into position, until he saw knight announce their presence. Swearing under his breath, Gerand charged at the guards, hoping to still surprise them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Leading the Charge stance: Everyone who charges gets +3 damage.
    Charging Power Attack: (1d20+8)[27]
    Damage: [2d6+13]

Vitality: 31
    Wound: 14
    AC: 14
    DR: 2/-

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    screwed up a roll
    Damage: (2d6+13)[20]

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Gregor steps out behind the two thugs at the bottom of the hill. They wheel around, startled. Neither of them makes any move to lay down their weapons--- the punishment for banditry is usually death, and the knight's grim tone and fearsome weaponry leave them no doubt that he's prepared to impose it.
    Miriam takes advantage of the distraction to loose an arrow at point-blank range. The raider's studded leather armor does little to protect him from her pinpoint aim--- hit in the throat, he drops his sword and clasps his hands to his neck, trying in vain to stop the blood pouring down into the muddy earth at his feet.
    Gerand runs downhill, sword raised for a brutal slash.

[Sorry, you can't get close enough to complete this charge in the surprise round, but it will finish in round 1 unless you change actions]

[Please roll initiative; also roll spot and listen.]

[Rolls for the guards follow; don't read]
    Spoiler
    Show

guard 1 initiative (1d20+1)[9]
    guard unit 2 initiative (1d20+1)[10]
    Ned initiative (1d20+2)[9]

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: init, spot & listen
    Show

Initiative - (1d20+1)[7]
    Spot - (1d20)[7]
    Listen - (1d20)[2]
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Init - [1d20+2] 10
    Spot/Listen [1d20+7] 25

Next attack if needed -
    [1d20+5] 14
    [1d6+1] 3 + [2d6] 8 sneak attack if applicable

Miriam smiles grimly at her handiwork and readies a second arrow, preparing to fire on whichever baddy volunteers as a good target.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative: (1d20+1)[2]
    Spot: (1d20+5)[9]
    Listen: (1d20)[14]

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

[Thanks for bearing with me]

Combat round 1

Gerand rushes in, slashing with his heavy blade. The other thug at the doorstep is caught off guard, still looking around for the hidden archer, and the merciless blow fells him to the ground.
    [Normally you'll go last because of initiative, but I let you finish your surprise charge.]

Miriam scans the treeline. Someone's in there, but she can't quite pinpoint them, and her shot goes astray. [14 doesn't hit with cover.]

Gregor can hear the farmer's family calling for help from the upper floor. The staircase up is shrouded by wisps of smoke, and the interior is beginning to catch properly on fire; curtains and sheets are already ablaze, and the support beams smolder. [Gerand could hear this too if he ends his move on the doorstep.]

Two crossbow bolts whistle out at you from the treeline, although only Miriam can see who fired them. One is turned by Gerand's breastplate; the other lodges harmlessly in the doorframe.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Miriam adjusts her position to go after those in the treeline, trusting her companions to handle the situation at the house itself. She'll creep in closer to get a better shot if necessary.

Show

Stealth [1d20+8] 15
    Attack [1d20+5] 25
    Damage - [1d6+1] 2 [2d6] 9
    Confirm Crit [1d20+5] 13
    Damage - [1d6] 1

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Still combat round 1

[I'm just going to post to resolve Miriam's action since I don't have anyone else's yet.]

Miriam's aim is true, and her shot strikes one of the men in the treeline. He doesn't look dead, but from the way he's screaming, he's probably incapacitated.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

"Ugh," Gerand grunted as a crossbow bolt glanced off his armor. Damn that's going to bruise, he thought as he prepared for to deal with more of these raiders. That was until he heard the shouts in the house.

He paused for only a few seconds, but ultimately started to move in the direction the arrow came from in the treeline. The knight will surely rush off to rescue the family, but he was not going to let Miriam face two hidden archers alone.

Spoiler
    Show
    If someone shoots at Gerand I'm going to use an immediate action for Steel Wind to replace my AC with an attack roll.
    Steel Wind: (1d20+8)[26]
    Other than that, running toward the tree line, I'm not sure how far away it is.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Ser Gregor curses to the wind as the crossbow bolts start to fly, he wanted to stay, and help his associates take those brigands down, but he knew the peasants lives were more important, rushing forward he moves up the stairs as fast as he can.

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry about the delay, been VERY busy recently
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Gerand: You run towards the treeline, your blade shielding your body. The bandit in the trees, fumbling with his crossbow, curses softly; the weapon is too clumsy to be quickly reloaded. "Ned," he shouts, "Ned, get the horses!" In the meanwhile, he draws his sword and adopts a defensive stance.

Ser Gregor: You rush up the staircase, trying not to breathe in too much smoke. As you near the upper story, the flames above you surge upward, reaching out toward you like vicious clawed limbs. Your armor deflects the force of the unexpected blow, but does little to shield you from the heat. [Take 2 damage.]

End of round one, beginning of round 2

Miriam and Gerand: You hear the sound of hooves coming from behind the farmhouse. Apparently the bandits at the back door are now aware of your presence--- three riders come into view, two of them leading pairs of spare mounts. The third, armored and brandishing a broadsword, appears the most substantial threat.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Miriam attempts to remain unseen as she adjusts her aim and tries to shoot the horse out from under the armored bandit as he gets closer.

Show

Stealth - [1d20+8] 15
    Attack [1d20+5] 21 [1d6+1] 7 damage [2d6] 11 sneak attack
    +1 to attack and damage within 30'

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

The horse's nostrils flare as it scents Miriam creeping through the shadows. Her arrow strikes it a glancing blow, but without the element of surprise, her attack is much less effective. The rider looks around, trying to spot the attacker, but fails. He directs his mount towards Gerand instead, slashing down heavily, but in the dark, his timing is poor.

"It's the Warden," he shouts at his companions. "Get anyone who's still alive and run!"

One of the other riders takes him at his word, turning to gallop away. The second rides nervously into the trees, looking for the men who had been hiding there.

Still round 2, everyone else gets to go

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Gerand swore as he ducked under the horseman's blade. That girl had better start shooting down some of these horses, or he would be in trouble. Deciding it would be easier for him to maneuver around trees than the horses he charges forward to attack the former archer.

Spoiler
    Show
    Swift action to renew maneuvers
    full-round to charge/power attack that archer, still in leading the charge stance

Attack: (1d20+8)[10]
    Damage: (2d6+13)[15]