New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Question on Druid Summons

Can a Druid spontaneously summon a celestial or a fiendish animal?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Question on Druid Summons

Not without something beyond the normal ability of a druid to spontaeously convert their spells to Summon Nature's Ally XYZ spells or the ability to access spells from other lists.

Is this purely theoretical, or are you looking to find a way to do this. If the latter, what sources and level are we talking about?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Nope, it works like Nature's Ally, which doesn't allow planar options.

Edit: Swordsaged.
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2014-03-20 at 03:11 PM.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

While the Summon Monster line may permit you to summon Celestial/Fiendish creatures, Druids have Summon Nature's Ally, which doesn't. (It should be noted that Druids can summon creatures like Oreads, which kick all kinds of butt, but that's neither here nor there.)

But consider the Moonspeaker PrC. At level 12, it grants the ability Lamannia Calling; you gain the Planar Ally line of spells. These spells allow you to summon, among others, celestial or fiendish animals, as well as a variety of other extraplanar beings.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

I'm going to go with no. You can spontaneously cast SNA, which is a list that includes no fiendish or celestial creatures, and you can normally cast SM, if you take a level of contemplative or something, but I can't think of a way to combine those two things without losing druid progression.

Actually, wait, if you dip into contemplative for the summoner domain or something, and dip a level of hathran for the ability to spontaneously cast any spell you know as long as you're in the boundaries of Rashemen, and optionally combine that with an acorn of far travel such that you're always effectively within the boundaries of Rashemen, then yes, a druid can spontaneously summon fiendish and celestial animals. You are also likely to spontaneously summon copies of the DMG, angled at your forehead, but it's nice to have a method.
    Last edited by eggynack; 2014-03-20 at 04:41 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Technically, kind of.
    Take this feat: http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-ma...ogitation--55/
    And know the Conjure Ice Beast (and I think the sandform version should also work) line. Boom ting.

Trees: The greatest weapon in 3.5
    Avatar by the amazingly talented and generous Smuchmuch

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the art of war would read "Full casters or GTFO".

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by TrueJordan View Post
    Technically, kind of.
    Take this feat: http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-ma...ogitation--55/
    And know the Conjure Ice Beast (and I think the sandform version should also work) line. Boom ting.
    You need to prepare arcane spells for that. By that point of investment, it's likely significantly easier to pull this off.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Diarmuid View Post
    Not without something beyond the normal ability of a druid to spontaeously convert their spells to Summon Nature's Ally XYZ spells or the ability to access spells from other lists.

Is this purely theoretical, or are you looking to find a way to do this. If the latter, what sources and level are we talking about?

Uhh The only one that is specifically banned is Exotic Fantasy. It can't be too cheesy though. Right now level 2. The campaign will go through level 20. I don't really want to lose out on a lot of Druid levels, for obvious reasons.
    Last edited by albeaver89; 2014-03-21 at 08:02 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

Planer touchstone can get you the summoning domain, then a PRC can get you turn undead, then the Domain Spontaneity feat will let you spend a turn attempt to spontaneously cast SM for a extraplaner creature.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

It seems you can not have lvl 20 druid and spontaneously summon a celestial/fiendish creature...So it seems I must acquire the spell Summon Monster.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Magical Training (PGtF), Alternative Source Spell (Dr325), Robe of Mysterious Conjuration (MIC, 10000gp).
    For the cost of 2 feats and 10000gp you can sacrifice a spell slot to use Summon Monster (of the slots level) 3/day.
    It specifies arcane spells iirc, thus the feats.