New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1472
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [MLP:RIM]: The Broken Road III - New Horizons

Grease rolled her eyes. Colts. Always making things more complicated than they needed to be.

"I've got it." She picked up one hoof and smacked the Councillor across the head. Hard.

Spoiler: Attempting to knock the Councillor unconcious
    Show
    Body 4 + Hooficuffs 1 + Appropriate Tool 2 + Extra Talented Strong 1 = 8
    Rolled twice for strong
    (1d20+8)[10]
    (1d20+8)[14]
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Current Projects: Dragon: the Inheritance

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    Grease rolled her eyes. Colts. Always making things more complicated than they needed to be.

"I've got it." She picked up one hoof and smacked the Councillor across the head. Hard.

Show
    Rolled twice for strong
    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    Sometimes the direct way is the best.

For all his mystical might, ye olde hoof-to-the-face worked just as well on the Councillor as anypony else. He dropped limp in Rinda's grasp, and the griffoness started to look for something to use as rope or a blindfold before he woke back up.

What will you all do now?

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Rolled twice for strong
    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Sometimes the direct way is the best.

For all his mystical might, ye olde hoof-to-the-face worked just as well on the Councillor as anypony else. He dropped limp in Rinda's grasp, and the griffoness started to look for something to use as rope or a blindfold before he woke back up.

What will you all do now?
    It was hard to tell who was the more surprised; the Councillor or the colt.

"Ah! Well. Yes. That...is one solution." Crown admitted. Not a very tasteful one, at that. He'd had more than enough of violence for one day, thank you very much. "Once he's tied up, we should still watch him closely. The last thing we need right now is more trouble."

"...and speaking of which, there's some taking a nap on the other side of the pillar we must deal with." He looked to Vereia with the false hope of a pony who knew the answer before he even thought to ask the question. "You said we must have the other two spirits willing to merge with Permanence?"
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Ettin in the Playground

Vereia looked distinctly uncomfortable at that question.

"Are you saying you'd prefer it if one of the participants wasn't willing?" she replied, shuddering. "Besides, you have to bear in mind that Lumina is the sum of all three of them; Grief, Permanance and Alone. With the kind of anger, betrayal and violation that Grief would feel should we force him to reintegrate - I would be very worried at what kind of spirit we might awaken."

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Indeed," Dive Bomb nodded, shuddering. "I should think that when we're working to... put to rest an entire city of people, we'd want to be able to have at least a good relationship with the spirit we're freeing. Vereia, do you have any insight there? You probably knew the spirit in question better than we do."
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    "Indeed," Dive Bomb nodded, shuddering. "I should think that when we're working to... put to rest an entire city of people, we'd want to be able to have at least a good relationship with the spirit we're freeing. Vereia, do you have any insight there? You probably knew the spirit in question better than we do."
    "Grief did seem to be very set against rejoining with the other two. In fact, he insisted that the only thing he wanted was to be destroyed entirely with the destruction of the crystal." Grease shuddered. "I still don't know why he was so set on that, but I definitely couldn't persuade him."

7. - Top - End - #1387

Dive Bomb considered that for a few seconds, and said, slowly, "Suppose we grant his wish. I'm not arguing for it, by any means, as suicide is something I can never condone. But let us consider it. What does that look like? What happens as a result, besides the obvious shattering forever of any reconciliation with the spirits at large?"
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Titan in the Playground

Vereia looked distinctly uncomfortable at that question.

"Are you saying you'd prefer it if one of the participants wasn't willing?" she replied, shuddering. "Besides, you have to bear in mind that Lumina is the sum of all three of them; Grief, Permanance and Alone. With the kind of anger, betrayal and violation that Grief would feel should we force him to reintegrate - I would be very worried at what kind of spirit we might awaken."
    "What-? No, no! I would never-to even suggest such a thing, I-" Crown slapped a hoof to his brow. Confound this pounding headache. Confound this false city. Especially confound its maniacal tyrant. And double confound this stupid cave and everybody inside it he hurt and he just wanted to find even a lumpy discarded mattress and get some beauty rest!

"...yes, what Mister Bomb said." He huffed.

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Ettin in the Playground

"I never really met Lumina before the city fell." replied Vereia. "Most of what the Councillor did to her was done behind closed doors."

"Of course, you do have somepony who is slightly more familiar with her than I am." she continued, as Alone stepped up beside her.

Dive Bomb considered that for a few seconds, and said, slowly, "Suppose we grant his wish. I'm not arguing for it, by any means, as suicide is something I can never condone. But let us consider it. What does that look like? What happens as a result, besides the obvious shattering forever of any reconciliation with the spirits at large?"
    "We spirits are beings of magic." said Alone, as she glanced towards where Grief lay. "If we are dispersed, we return to the land. It's ... like being in a dream. Not really awake, but not dead either. Given time, our energy may manifest again, but it's an open question if any of our prior selves' memories would remain."

"To your first question; if Permanance and myself become one again we will become a new spirit. We wouldn't be Lumina, without Grief we will not have the personality or be as powerful as we were before, but we will retain aspects of Permanence's and my own personalities. I think of you all as my friends. I have to believe that whoever we become would do so as well."

"The two of us will be able to maintain this city for a while, long enough to give the citizens time to say their goodbyes. Those who have not been here too long, we will return to their bodies in the real world. The others ... well, at least they won't have to suffer under Aegis anymore."

Vereia solemnly regarded the column.

"I believe that reinforces the stakes here, my friends." she continued, sadly. "The spirits of the ponies of Sanctum are in your hooves. Either you convince Grief to rejoin his other shards, or you can aid me in giving the citizens of this city the kindness of a peaceful rest."

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Titan in the Playground

"I believe that reinforces the stakes here, my friends." she continued, sadly. "The spirits of the ponies of Sanctum are in your hooves. Either you convince Grief to rejoin his other shards, or you can aid me in giving the citizens of this city the kindness of a peaceful rest."
    Figures. He wanted to have himself a good pout, and thousands of eternal souls hung in the balance. That was just typical, wasn't it?

"And what of the citizens should all of you reunite? What will become of them?" Crown asked, grumpily picking himself up. "If you'll humor me some musing, were mortal ponies meant to live forever, to dally in the realm of the gods? What becomes of ourselves when we've a thousand years to our names? Let us not forget how kindly eternal life treated the High Councillor." He cast a disparaging glance over the unconscious griffon. "Are we really certain we're not dooming these ponies to a similar madness?"

11. - Top - End - #1391
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Figures. He wanted to have himself a good pout, and thousands of eternal souls hung in the balance. That was just typical, wasn't it?

"And what of the citizens should all of you reunite? What will become of them?" Crown asked, grumpily picking himself up. "If you'll humor me some musing, were mortal ponies meant to live forever, to dally in the realm of the gods? What becomes of ourselves when we've a thousand years to our names? Let us not forget how kindly eternal life treated the High Councillor." He cast a disparaging glance over the unconscious griffon. "Are we really certain we're not dooming these ponies to a similar madness?"
    "If we were united, we'd have the power to maintain or change Sanctum as needed. I assume we could offer the ponies here a choice." replied Alone. "We'd start by releasing those who have only recently joined, and who have bodies that can still sustain them. Those others that wish to, could remain in the city. We'd watch it to prevent any one pony abusing the others like the Councillor did. We could 'reset' the memories of any ponies who ask for it. Maintain the city indefinitely. For those who don't want to live on in Sanctum ... well."

She finished, staring at her hooves.

"I don't know, I suppose we'd just follow their wishes."

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Titan in the Playground

"If we were united, we'd have the power to maintain or change Sanctum as needed. I assume we could offer the ponies here a choice." replied Alone. "We'd start by releasing those who have only recently joined, and who have bodies that can still sustain them. Those others that wish to, could remain in the city. We'd watch it to prevent any one pony abusing the others like the Councillor did. We could 'reset' the memories of any ponies who ask for it. Maintain the city indefinitely. For those who don't want to live on in Sanctum ... well."

She finished, staring at her hooves.

"I don't know, I suppose we'd just follow their wishes."
    "Perhaps," Crown mused. "Under the circumstances, it is the best fate that they could hope for; to savor a great span of years, free from tyranny, before passing to their final rest. Should we deign to speak more definitively than that, we would be trespassers in a world too lofty for us. Nevertheless, you understand the gravity of the responsibility, and you care deeply for these poor souls; we can ask for no better qualifications."

He nodded, satisfied. "Well? What do we know about this reluctant spirit? How did he come to be here? What drives him to choose destruction over healing? Come, come, what have we got on him? A true Cork can work miracles, but he must have some material to work with."

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, he is Grief," Grease began. "From what you've explained to me so far, that means that grief defines him, by his nature. Based on that, and is own words, I'd say that he doesn't believe that his situation can improve, only get worse. That might explain his desire to stop existing." She glanced at Alone, trying to get a gauge on the spirit's thoughts. "I suppose you'd have to either change his mind on that, or play into it somehow."

She looked at Vereia, and a strange expression, somewhere between inspiration and horror, crossed her face, before she suppressed it. There might be another option, she thought to herself, But if I suggest it, it might mean losing her forever...

"I only interacted with him for the first time just now, though," she said, pulling her attention back to this possible solution. "Or at least, that's all I remember. All of you who have regained your memories might know more."
    Last edited by One Tin Soldier; 2016-11-11 at 05:11 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Ettin in the Playground

"Well, he is Grief," Grease began. "From what you've explained to me so far, that means that grief defines him, by his nature. Based on that, and is own words, I'd say that he doesn't believe that his situation can improve, only get worse. That might explain his desire to stop existing." She glanced at Alone, trying to get a gauge on the spirit's thoughts. "I suppose you'd have to either change his mind on that, or play into it somehow."

She looked at Vereia, and a strange expression, somewhere between inspiration and horror, crossed her face, before she suppressed it. There might be another option, she thought to herself, But if I suggest it, it might mean losing her forever...

"I only interacted with him for the first time just now, though," she said, pulling her attention back to this possible solution. "Or at least, that's all I remember. All of you who have regained your memories might know more."
    "I'd think you were right." replied Alone.

"When I became alone, I became Alone." She explained, and the emphasis was clear. "A spirit's identity is bound to their name and nature and it's easy to lose oneself to it. I lived, solitary, in that tower for a thousand years and even when ponies like yourselves came, I ran and hid. I drove them away, because Alone was what I was, and what I wanted to be."

"For Grief. I can only imagine the things that drove him to choose this identity. The failure to save the city, the loss of everypony he knew and held dear. Having to watch as they all faded away and died in the real world, one by one. Whilst he could do nothing." she continued, staring into the middle distance.

"I think I ran from that." she said, as her whole body shuddered. "That's why I hid away from the memories, and from anypony who could make me remember that I had been anything other than Alone."

15. - Top - End - #1395
    Titan in the Playground

"I'd think you were right." replied Alone.

"When I became alone, I became Alone." She explained, and the emphasis was clear. "A spirit's identity is bound to their name and nature and it's easy to lose oneself to it. I lived, solitary, in that tower for a thousand years and even when ponies like yourselves came, I ran and hid. I drove them away, because Alone was what I was, and what I wanted to be."

"For Grief. I can only imagine the things that drove him to choose this identity. The failure to save the city, the loss of everypony he knew and held dear. Having to watch as they all faded away and died in the real world, one by one. Whilst he could do nothing." she continued, staring into the middle distance.

"I think I ran from that." she said, as her whole body shuddered. "That's why I hid away from the memories, and from anypony who could make me remember that I had been anything other than Alone."
    It all made sense, when you thought about it backwards. Benevolent spirits were not benevolent by their actions, but by their nature. The Spirit of Kindness would not have their title for any action they did, but rather, would act kindly because of who they were. Though that raised an obvious question:

"If you'll pardon my forwardness," Crown addressed the spirit. "I cannot help but notice fair Alone not only has friends, but desires to end her solitude and join with Permanence. How can this be?"

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Ettin in the Playground

It all made sense, when you thought about it backwards. Benevolent spirits were not benevolent by their actions, but by their nature. The Spirit of Kindness would not have their title for any action they did, but rather, would act kindly because of who they were. Though that raised an obvious question:

"If you'll pardon my forwardness," Crown addressed the spirit. "I cannot help but notice fair Alone not only has friends, but desires to end her solitude and join with Permanence. How can this be?"
    "Well, to put it simply ... because of you ponies." replied Alone.

"We're not set in stone." She continued, a wry smile on her face. "We'll usually follow our nature if left to our own devices, but that's not to say we can't change. A spirit of war can learn to love peace, a spirit of silence can come to appreciate the beauty of music and a spirit of loneliness ... the magic of friendship."

Alone had addressed the last to Soot, who looked more awkward than ever as the spirit gave her a quick hug.

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, to put it simply ... because of you ponies." replied Alone.

"We're not set in stone." She continued, a wry smile on her face. "We'll usually follow our nature if left to our own devices, but that's not to say we can't change. A spirit of war can learn to love peace, a spirit of silence can come to appreciate the beauty of music and a spirit of loneliness ... the magic of friendship."

Alone had addressed the last to Soot, who looked more awkward than ever as the spirit gave her a quick hug.
    "Well then, it's not too much to hope that Grief can be brought joy," Grease said. "Or, for that matter, that Permanence can be changed. We still have to ensure that she will accept this arrangement, too." She faced towards the pillar of crystal. "I can give her her senses back. And perhaps remove some of the runes that imprison her. We should be able to talk to her properly that way. Although... I'm not sure how much I can remove without bringing an end to this place altogether."

18. - Top - End - #1398

"The problem, as I see it, is that we have a limited amount of time," Dive Bomb stated. "Two days before we have problems. Four, and we risk permanent organ damage of our bodies outside this shared dream. So we need to somehow bring Grief enough joy to completely overcome centuries of learning."

It was a few seconds before Dive Bomb admitted, "Joy's really not my specialty."

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Titan in the Playground

"Well then, it's not too much to hope that Grief can be brought joy," Grease said. "Or, for that matter, that Permanence can be changed. We still have to ensure that she will accept this arrangement, too." She faced towards the pillar of crystal. "I can give her her senses back. And perhaps remove some of the runes that imprison her. We should be able to talk to her properly that way. Although... I'm not sure how much I can remove without bringing an end to this place altogether."
    "One spirit at a time, perhaps." Crown reassured Ms. Spot.

"The problem, as I see it, is that we have a limited amount of time," Dive Bomb stated. "Two days before we have problems. Four, and we risk permanent organ damage of our bodies outside this shared dream. So we need to somehow bring Grief enough joy to completely overcome centuries of learning."

It was a few seconds before Dive Bomb admitted, "Joy's really not my specialty."
    True, it was not Crown's specialty either. He was a farmer and a businesspony, not some sort of circus clown. If they needed awestruck wonder, that was much more his speed.

"...is Joy really what we are looking for? Can a little merriment bring healing from centuries of pain and torment?" He paused, feeling the word. "Healing. Yes, yes, I do like that. Joy may be a part of the answer, but I do not think it the whole. If Grief is mired in Grief, then perhaps what he needs is healing most of all. Something to knock him out of his rut, and set him on the right path. And I think I may have just the thing."

The mocha colt turned to Alone and Veriea. "If Grief were willing, could your powers combined take us outside this room? Could we take Grief to meet with the ponies he loved so dearly?"

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Ettin in the Playground

It's an open question, but you have the notes Dive Bomb has given you, and are fluent in arcane rune craft.

If anypony in this group has a shot at doing it, it'll be you.

"Yeah, you're pretty awful at it." observed Rinda.

Soot, Alone, and most of the others, glared at her.

"What?"

True, it was not Crown's specialty either. He was a farmer and a businesspony, not some sort of circus clown. If they needed awestruck wonder, that was much more his speed.

"...is Joy really what we are looking for? Can a little merriment bring healing from centuries of pain and torment?" He paused, feeling the word. "Healing. Yes, yes, I do like that. Joy may be a part of the answer, but I do not think it the whole. If Grief is mired in Grief, then perhaps what he needs is healing most of all. Something to knock him out of his rut, and set him on the right path. And I think I may have just the thing."

The mocha colt turned to Alone and Veriea. "If Grief were willing, could your powers combined take us outside this room? Could we take Grief to meet with the ponies he loved so dearly?"
    "Even if he weren't, we can take him back up to the city, yes." said Alone. "He and I are evenly matched. With Permanance dormant again, and the help of Vereia, we should be able to keep him contained if he wants to put up a fight."

"Of course, if he's willing, our job will be easier in that regard." said Vereia. "I admit a certain reluctance to visit more violence than necessary in this place."

21. - Top - End - #1401

"Yeah, you're pretty awful at it." observed Rinda.

Soot, Alone, and most of the others, glared at her.

"What?"
    Dive Bomb joined in glaring, but sighed and looked away. "Accurate or not, my personality is not the one on trial right now. Cork, it sounds like there's a plan fermenting in that head of yours. Care to share?"

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Ogre in the Playground

Dive Bomb joined in glaring, but sighed and looked away. "Accurate or not, my personality is not the one on trial right now. Cork, it sounds like there's a plan fermenting in that head of yours. Care to share?"
    Grease nods along. "You do seem to have a knack for oration. Better than me, at least. However you think we can convince him, I'm on board."

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Titan in the Playground

Grease nods along. "You do seem to have a knack for oration. Better than me, at least. However you think we can convince him, I'm on board."
    Crown held his bruised, battered chin just a tinge higher. "I do indeed have a plan. From what we've been told - and the little I could divine from his unholy shouting earlier - Grief has little interest in what we have to say to him. We do not know him, and he does not know us. There is simply too much hurt and not enough trust to take the direct approach. No, I think our best bet will be to help Grief move on from his sorrows. And the key to doing so lies right above our heads." He glanced up meaningfully. "Up above us lies Sanctum, filled with the spirits of the citizens Grief loved so dearly. For too long he has sequestered himself, grieving their loss and cursing his own powerlessness. With Alone and Veria's aid, we can arrange a long overdue reunion. What citizen of Sanctum wouldn't want to meet one of the river spirits that gave their city life? That tended to them for so many years? Through them, we can give Grief the closure he has denied himself all this time. Once his heart has begun to heal, I expect he will be more than willing to aid these souls once again."

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Ettin in the Playground

"It could work" agreed Alone. "But I fear it may be difficult."

"Where in the city should we take him? Things up there may be quite volatile at the moment" added Vereia. "In my time, our confrontation with the Councillor led to mass protests against his rule. I suspect the same may be happening above given the way the timelines were merging when we came down here."

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Titan in the Playground

"It could work" agreed Alone. "But I fear it may be difficult."

"Where in the city should we take him? Things up there may be quite volatile at the moment" added Vereia. "In my time, our confrontation with the Councillor led to mass protests against his rule. I suspect the same may be happening above given the way the timelines were merging when we came down here."
    "Difficult to say, difficult to say." Crown pondered, slipping into a thoughtful pace about the room. "Calming the unrest in the city may be too much to ask, now that everything is in motion. Aegis being out of the picture most certainly helps, but the fires have been lit, and there is little else we can do but to wait for them to run their course. No, no, we must be precise. Concern ourselves with a few, not a multitude."

He looked to Alone. "Do you recall any favorite places of yours in the City before you split? Favorite ponies, perhaps? If you all came from the same spirit, could it not be that Grief will share your affinity?"

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Ettin in the Playground

"I don't really remember much from before I woke up in the tower where you guys found me" replied Alone.

"I'd guess probably somewhere away from the centre of government. I don't feel like I'd have been the kind of spirit that would have wanted to direct ponies, but more to watch them flow. Whether as a group or an individual. To be honest, I can imagine that I was familiar with most, if not all, ponies in the city."

Alone hesitated, eyes widening.

"Maybe Grief has those memories. Maybe he's the part of us that remembers their names."

27. - Top - End - #1407

"That has the ring of sense to it," Dive Bomb admitted, "though it feels risky to plan our entire course around it. Although it would make things extraordinarily simple; we'd have no need to find a particular group of ponies, and could rely instead on Grief being familiar with all."

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Ogre in the Playground

"That has the ring of sense to it," Dive Bomb admitted, "though it feels risky to plan our entire course around it. Although it would make things extraordinarily simple; we'd have no need to find a particular group of ponies, and could rely instead on Grief being familiar with all."
    "Alright," Grease said. "That makes sense, but what do we do with that? Where do we bring him? How do we keep him from attacking us the moment he wakes up?"

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Ettin in the Playground

"For the second bit; now that Permanance isn't trying to kill us anymore." noted Alone. "Vereia and I can handle anything Grief tries."

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Titan in the Playground

"Alright," Grease said. "That makes sense, but what do we do with that? Where do we bring him? How do we keep him from attacking us the moment he wakes up?"
    "For the second bit; now that Permanance isn't trying to kill us anymore." noted Alone. "Vereia and I can handle anything Grief tries."
    "Perhaps it would be best if we started with ponies who held a particular love of the river. That is where Lumina came from, no?" Crown offered. "I don't know about the rest of you, but if I were a river, mighty and surging with life, I would hold a special place in my heart for those who witnessed my majesty on a more daily basis." The colt swayed back and forth, imagining himself to be composed entirely of rushing water. "And those who braved my perilous waters, for navigation and irrigation, why, it would be as if we were old friends, speaking the language of the waves. I would look forward to seeing them use my waters to grow houses, grow fields, grow cities! And all from these humble folk and their watering cans. Or buckets. Or ditches. Or...whatever it is they use."

He nodded sagely. "Yes, I think that's what we ought to try. Who among the city frequented the river most often?"