New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [MLP:RIM]: The Broken Road III - New Horizons

"Uhh ... are you alright Mister Cork?" asked Iggy.

The colt had spent a good couple of minutes staring at the stone and muttering to himself under his breath. So far, the gem didn't seem to be responding to his entreaties. It was still pleasantly warm in his hooves, but did not seem to be able or willing to assist in his search.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    "Uhh ... are you alright Mister Cork?" asked Iggy.

The colt had spent a good couple of minutes staring at the stone and muttering to himself under his breath. So far, the gem didn't seem to be responding to his entreaties. It was still pleasantly warm in his hooves, but did not seem to be able or willing to assist in his search.
    "Never better!" Crown smiled widely, not taking his eyes off the gem. "I'm merely trying to coax the memory of El'Woden out of his little home and convince him to use his dreamwalking prowess to locate our missing friends."

A vein gently pulsed on his forehead.

"...that...is a rather desperate plan, isn't it?"
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Clearly unamused, the griffon loomed over her while the second tightened his grip on his spear.

"And now your last warning; buzz off, or we'll mail your sorry carcass to your namby pamby princess ... in pieces."

[DC was 20, -2 penalty for argument.]
    Soot sighed, she was going to have to work on this negotiating thing more. Guess that left plan B. "Well I suppose if you really feel that way..." she looked up at the ceiling and shouted "OH PRINCESS!" once their eyes were off of her for just a moment she cast her darkness spell.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mind 4 + Spell 1 + Tool 2 + Willpower 9 (thank Celestia for inspirational speeches ) = +16
    (1d20+16)[28]
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    "I... See," Dive Bomb said. He didn't. But at least he'd been able to understand that the talismans probably wouldn't be feasible in pure earth pony communities, or at least, not without some form of stored magic. Dive Bomb had heard of such places, though he couldn't really claim to understand it why you'd want to live somewhere without pegasi or unicorns.

"If it works, we could stay here for at least a day more," he murmured, more to himself than to anyone else. The low thrumm of the shield outside prompted him to add, "Not like we have much of a choice. Is there anything I can do to help you for this part?"
    "They could potentially allow us to stay much longer. Especially if we find more of them," Grease said. "But I think they'll serve us better on the trail.

"As for whether you can help me..." she mulled it over for a second, trying to think of any way the pegasus could be of assistance. "Sorry, I think this next part's a one-pony job. Though once that part's done, I will need Igneous, or perhaps Soot if you find her by then."
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Current Projects: Dragon: the Inheritance

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

Dive Bomb nodded in understanding. After all, she couldn't teach everything there was to learn about magic in a day, and he couldn't absorb it all. "Alright."

Of course, that just left him with his thoughts, and they weren't the best company right now.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
    Soot sighed, she was going to have to work on this negotiating thing more. Guess that left plan B. "Well I suppose if you really feel that way..." she looked up at the ceiling and shouted "OH PRINCESS!" once their eyes were off of her for just a moment she cast her darkness spell.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mind 4 + Spell 1 + Tool 2 + Willpower 9 (thank Celestia for inspirational speeches ) = +16
    [roll0]
    The corridor plunged into blackness. Up and down the corridor, griffons cried out in surprise as the simple task of walking forwards became an inexplicably much harder challenge. The two guards, however, had a better idea of what had happened.

"Wha -"

"Grab her!"

[DC10 body check to dodge. +4 bonus due to darkness]

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    "Never better!" Crown smiled widely, not taking his eyes off the gem. "I'm merely trying to coax the memory of El'Woden out of his little home and convince him to use his dreamwalking prowess to locate our missing friends."

A vein gently pulsed on his forehead.

"...that...is a rather desperate plan, isn't it?"
    "Uh ... makes perfect sense to me!" replied the guard, giving another sterling endorsement to the inanity of Cork's chosen course.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Soot gave a leap backwards to avoid the flailing griffons
    Spoiler
    Show
    Body 2 + 4 Darkness
    (1d20+6)[20]

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Soot gave a leap backwards to avoid the flailing griffons
    Spoiler
    Show
    Body 2 + 4 Darkness
    [roll0]
    Soot heard the two griffons thud into each other behind her, as they both took a swing for the unicorn and missed. In that instant, she was able to slip the door open wide enough to duck inside before anyone out there noticed. As soon as the heavy oak door swung shut, most of the noise from the other side of the doorway died away.

She found herself standing at the back of a courtroom, long wooden pews to either side that held a hoof-full of spectators to the day's proceedings. Nopony really paid Soot any attention as she entered, although a griffon guard in the aisle did look up at her before nodding in the direction of one of the seats.

Spoiler: Picture
    Show

A trio of distinguished looking griffons occupied the judge's bench at the far end of the chamber, listening as another elderly griffon droned on at them about the finer points of legalease. However, Soot's eyes immediately went to the dock, just to the left of the judges, where a pair of younger griffons sat. The younger of the two, she didn't recognise - some griffoness with dark grey headfeathers and brown eyes - but the one to her side was most definitely Rinda, albeit looking a few years younger than she did now.

The remaining inhabitants of the room were mostly clerks, or otherwise passive observers. However she did spot the Ambassador, seated on the pews at the rear of the courtoom.

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    "They could potentially allow us to stay much longer. Especially if we find more of them," Grease said. "But I think they'll serve us better on the trail.

"As for whether you can help me..." she mulled it over for a second, trying to think of any way the pegasus could be of assistance. "Sorry, I think this next part's a one-pony job. Though once that part's done, I will need Igneous, or perhaps Soot if you find her by then."
    Nothing much else interrupted the ponies as they finished their breakfast, affording Grease time to get to work on one of the talismans.

If things went according to plan, the kludge of a setup would provide a ration of water by the day's end. If not, well, there was always the next talisman.

[You can go ahead and take the roll now, or set it aside to make more of the frames. You've got about 30 minutes of uninterrupted time before the next scene anyway.]

9. - Top - End - #39

Dive Bomb sat in the doorway of the large chamber, staring at nothing in particular. The shield reflected in his eyes as he thought, a giant, upside down bowl trapping them here.

His fault.

No, not his fault. That one could be laid squarely at the feet of the strange dragon-sand-critter. If it weren't for him, they could be moving already.

If it weren't for Rinda.

Dive Bomb groaned and stared up at the shield again. Part of him wanted simply to fly up, see if it was even there. Maybe he'd just soar through it like a green film. Or maybe he'd just bounce off.
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

"Uh ... makes perfect sense to me!" replied the guard, giving another sterling endorsement to the inanity of Cork's chosen course.
    Crown gave a moaning sigh, and his head sank until his forehead rested on the gem. "Brilliant. Soot and Miss Rinda both missing, and the best I can do is engage in a staring contest with a...a silly rock!"

"No offense," he added, gaze flitting up to their stony guardian.

Still, nothing quite stung so badly as uselessness upon the dawning of a new morning. Who could have guessed that removing all resources, contacts, and physical necessities would render a pony so helpless? Yet here he was, sitting between a rock, a harsh place, and a second, smaller rock. He cast one last, longing glance at the unintelligible Rocky, before turning back to the guardspony. "Mister Igneous, you and your family work in rocks and things, yes? What do you do when you encounter a boulder too large and hardy to deal with?"

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Crown gave a moaning sigh, and his head sank until his forehead rested on the gem. "Brilliant. Soot and Miss Rinda both missing, and the best I can do is engage in a staring contest with a...a silly rock!"

"No offense," he added, gaze flitting up to their stony guardian.
    "Neque minuitur" rumbled Rocky.

Still, nothing quite stung so badly as uselessness upon the dawning of a new morning. Who could have guessed that removing all resources, contacts, and physical necessities would render a pony so helpless? Yet here he was, sitting between a rock, a harsh place, and a second, smaller rock. He cast one last, longing glance at the unintelligible Rocky, before turning back to the guardspony. "Mister Igneous, you and your family work in rocks and things, yes? What do you do when you encounter a boulder too large and hardy to deal with?"
    "Too big and too hard?" replied Iggy, scratching the back of his helmet with a hoof.

"I guess that's when we call for help. The bigger the rock, the more you need, but I've never seen one so far that couldn't be worked down by a group of ponies."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

"Too big and too hard?" replied Iggy, scratching the back of his helmet with a hoof.

"I guess that's when we call for help. The bigger the rock, the more you need, but I've never seen one so far that couldn't be worked down by a group of ponies."
    "And what if all of your help were ungra-aaaaaaciously mean-spirited?" Crown mentally wiped the sweat from his metaphorical brow. "Suppose everypony you could call either won't help for reasons far too nasty and incomprehensible to understand, how would you deal with the boulder then?"

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

"They won't help?" replied the guard, shocked. "What did I do to them? Is this because I didn't go to Aunt Mabel's birthday party? I sent her a card! It was a very nice card! I told her I was sorry that I'd been assigned to Manehatten that month!!"

The guard started hyperventilating.

"Or maybe it was one of my other cousins, what'sername. She said she enjoyed that pie I baked, but she didn't smile. She. Didn't. Smile. I mean she never smiles, but still. Not even a smirk? A quirk? I'd take a tilting of the tiniest tippy corner of a lip!!!"

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

"They won't help?" replied the guard, shocked.
    "No, that's not what I-"

"What did I do to them? Is this because I didn't go to Aunt Mabel's birthday party? I sent her a card! It was a very nice card! I told her I was sorry that I'd been assigned to Manehatten that month!!"
    "Mister Igneous, just listen-"

The guard started hyperventilating.
    "Mister Igneous."

"Or maybe it was one of my other cousins, what'sername. She said she enjoyed that pie I baked, but she didn't smile. She. Didn't. Smile. I mean she never smiles, but still. Not even a smirk? A quirk? I'd take a tilting of the tiniest tippy corner of a lip!!!"
    "Mister Igneous!" Crown reached out and lightly booped the guardspony's muzzle. "Nopony's refused to help, you haven't done anything to upset your family, and I'm sure Cousin What'sername absolutely loved your pie."

Sometimes, fate enjoyed letting its liars and double-talkers steep in their own bitter brew before pouring out its ironic comeuppance. Other times, fate couldn't give two flicks about dramatic timing and opted to settle accounts immediately.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

"Oh thank Celestia." replied Iggy, grabbing on to Crown cork and hugging him close.

"I was really worried for a moment there."

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Crown gasped in surprise at the sudden, tight hug. That, or Igneous' armor-clad limbs squeezed the air from his poor lungs. Perhaps a little of both. "It's fine. Really. Nothing to worry about," the colt grunted out, wriggling his own forelegs around the guards' armor and patting him reassuringly for...something. Whatever crisis he'd just averted. Hopefully it served as reminder enough for the stallion to let go sometime this morning.

Hopefully.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2014-04-15 at 04:42 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

"Great!" replied Iggy, letting Crown drop back to the floor with a thump. "So what were we talking about again?"

He paused, and one got the distinct impression that the unicorn's brain was quickly rebooting.

"Oh yeah, Rocks!"

"Well, if you have one that is too big for you to carry, and too hard for you to break down, then you have to work with the others. I mean, if they were all being weird and stuff, then I guess I'd try to find out more about why they don't want to help? Talk to them a bit? I mean, I can get if they're busy or something ... but I don't get why they just wouldn't want to help me. I'm likable, right? At least that's what all the other guards said. Sometimes."

"Or is this just one of those hyper-theticals? Cause if that's the case, and nopony is going to help (so weird!), then I guess you'd just have to start planning on a rock feature in your garden."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Soot heard the two griffons thud into each other behind her, as they both took a swing for the unicorn and missed. In that instant, she was able to slip the door open wide enough to duck inside before anyone out there noticed. As soon as the heavy oak door swung shut, most of the noise from the other side of the doorway died away.

She found herself standing at the back of a courtroom, long wooden pews to either side that held a hoof-full of spectators to the day's proceedings. Nopony really paid Soot any attention as she entered, although a griffon guard in the aisle did look up at her before nodding in the direction of one of the seats.

Spoiler: Picture
    Show

A trio of distinguished looking griffons occupied the judge's bench at the far end of the chamber, listening as another elderly griffon droned on at them about the finer points of legalease. However, Soot's eyes immediately went to the dock, just to the left of the judges, where a pair of younger griffons sat. The elder of the two, she didn't recognise - some griffoness with dark grey headfeathers and brown eyes - but the one to her side was most definitely a younger Rinda.

The remaining inhabitants of the room were mostly clerks, or otherwise passive observers. However she did spot the Ambassador, seated on the pews at the rear of the courtoom.
    Soot wordlessly trotted over to one of the seats near the back, trying to look as inconspicuous as a unicorn could in a room full of griffons.

19. - Top - End - #49

Rocks. Dive Bomb sighed to himself as he dug in his saddlebags for the green stone.

Trust. That went to all his friends. And for once, nobody actually knew more about this than Iggy. "Would it help you if you had Vereia's stone as well, Cork?"

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

"Great!" replied Iggy, letting Crown drop back to the floor with a thump. "So what were we talking about again?"

He paused, and one got the distinct impression that the unicorn's brain was quickly rebooting.

"Oh yeah, Rocks!"

"Well, if you have one that is too big for you to carry, and too hard for you to break down, then you have to work with the others. I mean, if they were all being weird and stuff, then I guess I'd try to find out more about why they don't want to help? Talk to them a bit? I mean, I can get if they're busy or something ... but I don't get why they just wouldn't want to help me. I'm likable, right? At least that's what all the other guards said. Sometimes."

"Or is this just one of those hyper-theticals? Cause if that's the case, and nopony is going to help (so weird!), then I guess you'd just have to start planning on a rock feature in your garden."
    Crown's head ached, and it wasn't just from lack of water. "Yes, Mister Igneous," he sighed. "I'm afraid this is just a hyper-thetical. A metaphysical garden with an all-too solid rock squashing my conjectured cabbage."

Rocks. Dive Bomb sighed to himself as he dug in his saddlebags for the green stone.

Trust. That went to all his friends. And for once, nobody actually knew more about this than Iggy. "Would it help you if you had Vereia's stone as well, Cork?"
    ...or perhaps not? What in Celestia's name have we been drinking?! Or not drinking, rather?

Crown none-too-subtly pinched himself, then stifled a yelp and rubbed his poor foreleg. "Your...guess would be as good as mine, but I hardly see how it could hurt?" He shrugged. "Bring it over; perhaps their ancient friendship might spark something."

21. - Top - End - #51

Dive Bomb settled himself alongside their guard in shining armor and slid the green stone to meet her brother. "Igneous, you said that your family is from a rock farm, correct? What can you tell us about these stones?"

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Soot wordlessly trotted over to one of the seats near the back, trying to look as inconspicuous as a unicorn could in a room full of griffons.
    Soot only received a few glances as she plopped down on one of the benches. The longest one came from the ambassador, seated further along the row from her, but he soon turned back to watching the proceedings. At the stand, the elderly barrister was delivering his closing statements.

"... and, such that it is, pertaining to paragraph 43E of subsection M to regulation A-113, the evidence does support the claim put forth in articles three through six of the crown's case. In summary, it seems evident to this court that the events documented in the testimony of witnesses A through to G is, indeed, factual. And that the defendants, being Mistresses Rinda and Karen Greyfeather, did clearly and unequivocally perform in acts contrary to both the letter and spirit of regulation A-113."

"Consequently, on the aforementioned charges of dereliction of duty and abandonment of one's posts, we posit that the two defendants are clearly guilty, and should be disciplined under the full measure of the law."

"The defence rests." said the barrister, who gave a formal bow before resuming his seat. The judges took a moment to confer, while the requisite murmur of conversation started up in the courtroom.

Crown's head ached, and it wasn't just from lack of water. "Yes, Mister Igneous," he sighed. "I'm afraid this is just a hyper-thetical. A metaphysical garden with an all-too solid rock squashing my conjectured cabbage."

...or perhaps not? What in Celestia's name have we been drinking?! Or not drinking, rather?

Crown none-too-subtly pinched himself, then stifled a yelp and rubbed his poor foreleg. "Your...guess would be as good as mine, but I hardly see how it could hurt?" He shrugged. "Bring it over; perhaps their ancient friendship might spark something."
    The two gems glowed brighter in proximity with one another, casting a pleasant feeling of warmth over the three ponies gathered there. But they didn't seem to be doing much else.

Dive Bomb settled himself alongside their guard in shining armor and slid the green stone to meet her brother. "Igneous, you said that your family is from a rock farm, correct? What can you tell us about these stones?"
    "Only that they really don't look like any gemstone I've ever seen." he replied, squinting at the two stones in front of them. "I mean, all of our ones make sharp shapes because of the way they crystallize in the ground, or in rocks - due to the way the magical ley energy coalesces. These ones looks way too ... lumpy ... to be naturally occurring."

It had been a remarkably erudite comment from the normally airheaded pony.

"Fuzzy warm though."

Well, it had been nice while it lasted.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

As Dive Bomb walked off to talk with Crown, Grease got one of the talismans out of her bag. This was probably going to be a pain without an ihmometer to measure magical resistance, but it wouldn't require any any actual magic, so she could do it herself. Fortunately for her, the engineers who enchanted all of the technology in Sanctum City seemed rather fond of using visible exterior lines to direct the magical flow.

Still, it would take a decent chunk of time to get everything aligned properly, so the sooner she got started, the sooner they could all have their water.

Spoiler: Rolling
    Show
    Mind 5 + Magical Theory 3 + Mechanic 4 - Dehydration 2 = 10
    Rolled twice for Adaptable
    10+10=20
    15+10=25

A few minutes later, Grease was well into the swing of preparing the talisman. Her headache, while still there, faded into the background as she worked. She was fairly confident that she could get everything into alignment without any trouble.

[Given the time frame, Grease won't finish her work right now, but I did succeed on the roll, so once everyone else's conversation has progressed further I'll have her finish.]
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Current Projects: Dragon: the Inheritance

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

It was a bit tricky, particularly without appropriate tools. If it had been anypony but grease doing it, there was a good chance the talisman would have broken.

As it was, she was fairly confident that she'd managed to make it work on the first try. The only step left was the power.

Having gotten some practice, it would also mean that subsequent tries should be easier.

[-2 penalty for lack of tools. But Grease passes on the second check. One talisman is now prepped for use, but requires a power source. If powered, it will produce one ration of water by the end of the day. Now that Grease has 'cracked the case' for the talisman, the second stage will require less time and effort on her part going forward (DC 15 and 10 minutes for all remaining talismans).]

25. - Top - End - #55

"Only that they really don't look like any gemstone I've ever seen." he replied, squinting at the two stones in front of them. "I mean, all of our ones make sharp shapes because of the way they crystallize in the ground, or in rocks - due to the way the magical ley energy coalesces. These ones looks way too ... lumpy ... to be naturally occurring."

It had been a remarkably erudite comment from the normally airheaded pony.

"Fuzzy warm though."

Well, it had been nice while it lasted.
    "So the way gems form is due to natural magic energy and the way it acts?" Dive Bomb considered that. "Could the ley energy be different here?"

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

"So the way gems form is due to natural magic energy and the way it acts?" Dive Bomb considered that. "Could the ley energy be different here?"
    "Maaaaaybe." replied Iggy. "But I dunno. I always thought Ley was Ley, y'know? Doesn't seem much different casting a spell here than back home, but I'm no magic genius type pony."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

The two gems glowed brighter in proximity with one another, casting a pleasant feeling of warmth over the three ponies gathered there. But they didn't seem to be doing much else.
    As the other two ponies chatted, Crown stared intently at the two gems. Generally, when things glowed brighter it meant something was working. Unless this ancient magical rock technology operated in reverse, in which case they'd ruined everything. Opting for the former, he tapped the two rocks together to see what might happen. Perhaps a stony hoofshake would rustle the two memories from their homes? In fact, the more he looked at it, these lumps on the green one looked a tad like the griffonness' headfeathers. And this bulge on the orange matched El'woden's perfectly. Arrange them just so, imagine where the hooves and talons might be...

"...good day, Miss Veriea." The orange stone growled out.

"Good day, Mister El'Woden." The green stone squeaked.

Crown made the old friends shake hooves and talons.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Deleted Scene
    Show
    "NOW KISS!"

The cry echoed around the chamber, deafening in suddenness and volume. By the time everything finally returned to stillness, the three colts were standing around the two gemstones, each eyeing the others askance.

"Er ... who said."

"Did you?"

"It wasn't."

"Let us never speak of this again." added Iggy, garnering emphatic nods from the others present.

The two gemstones sparked slightly as they touched, a faint web of magic flickering around them in rainbow hues. It was gone in an eyeblink, difficult to catch a glimpse of in that short moment.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Deleted Scene
    Show
    "NOW KISS!"

The cry echoed around the chamber, deafening in suddenness and volume. By the time everything finally returned to stillness, the three colts were standing around the two gemstones, each eyeing the others askance.

"Er ... who said."

"Did you?"

"It wasn't."

"Let us never speak of this again." added Iggy, garnering emphatic nods from the others present.

The two gemstones sparked slightly as they touched, a faint web of magic flickering around them in rainbow hues. It was gone in an eyeblink, difficult to catch a glimpse of in that short moment.
    Crown flinched and rubbed his eyes. Had he really imagined that, or was there some manner of spark? Whatever it was, it was gone now. Unless...

"...good day again, Miss Veriea." The orange stone growled out.

"Good day a second time, Mister El'Woden." The green stone squeaked.

Crown made the old friends shake hooves and talons. For old time's sake. And this time, he watched them so closely his snout nearly pressed against the stones.

30. - Top - End - #60

"Maaaaaybe." replied Iggy. "But I dunno. I always thought Ley was Ley, y'know? Doesn't seem much different casting a spell here than back home, but I'm no magic genius type pony."
    "Well, remember the memory, how they moved the rocks around? Could that do it?"