New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [MLP:RIM]: The Broken Road III - New Horizons

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    There! There she stood, perfection given pony form! An angel gracing mortal ponies with her presence! His tail curled into a heart, fanning himself desperately as he clasped a hoof over his heart and sighed longingly.

But lo! She could not catch him standing idly by while there was work to be done! He stomped the ground, fire burning in his eyes. "Miss Spot! We must tend this field until it is bursting with life! Such that all may see its produce and marvel!" With mad energy, he threw open the shed and sorted through their tools.
    Grease Spot chuckled. "Glad to see you're in such a productive mood," she said. "Let's get to it then. Grab me that hoe for me, would you?"

Spoiler: roll
    Show
    Mind 5
    4+5=9
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Current Projects: Dragon: the Inheritance

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

"I checked with the foreman on my way over here to see if there were any special assignments," Dive Bomb said, casting his eyes over his shoulder to check on the clouds. "He said that there were some last-minute addendums to his agenda, that it would require heavy lifting, and that whoever did it needs to know the difference between lilac seeds and lilies."

Spoiler
    Show
    Mind 5, rolled twice for Wary.

I really need to put some points towards Spot, by the by.

(1d20+5)[21]
    (1d20+5)[6]
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    "I checked with the foreman on my way over here to see if there were any special assignments," Dive Bomb said, casting his eyes over his shoulder to check on the clouds. "He said that there were some last-minute addendums to his agenda, that it would require heavy lifting, and that whoever did it needs to know the difference between lilac seeds and lilies."

Spoiler
    Show
    Mind 5, rolled twice for Wary.

I really need to put some points towards Spot, by the by.

[roll0]
    [roll1]
    Dive Bomb noticed it first, but Crown saw it as well. The harness for the plough was broken.

That was not right, it should have been perfectly working. Clearly somepony needed to repair it post haste.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
    Soot gave a leap over the spheres. She knew that these things were memories, but at this point the last thing she needed was to keep on having to nose around Rinda's past.

Spoiler
    Show
    Body 2 + Harmony 1 = +3
    [roll0]
    Soot barely managed to clear the first line of orbs, but her forward momentum threatened to send her toppling into the second.

[DC 15 body check to stop yourself. I counted your ranks in thief towards the first leap, on the basis that it should give you a bit of an agility boost. Means it was a partial success on the first leap, with the need to do a second check to prevent failure.]

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Dive Bomb noticed it first, but Crown saw it as well. The harness for the plough was broken.

That was not right, it should have been perfectly working. Clearly somepony needed to repair it post haste.
    Crown's ears flared up in alarm. "Hold that hoe and cease those seeds! Our plow's been sabotaged!" The colt circled the broken plow, pout deepening with every new angle. "I checked last night and it most certainly was not in such a sorry state. Somepony or somecreature must've heard of our productive little plot and set out to remove the competition. Foul jealousy!"

He ground the dirt in an ill temper. "And we were to get so much done today! Now we may as well all go into the city - two for seeds and one for a mechanic - because we shan't be growing a thing without a proper plow."
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

5. - Top - End - #125

"You're overreacting," Dive Bomb said, running a feather over the split section. "About the sabotage, I mean. We've no evidence to support that theory, no culprit, and no motive. Working to remove a source of food for the city would benefit no-one but the workers, and somehow I don't think any of us would do this."

The pegasus bent lower to examine the strap. Probably just wear and tear.

"As for a mechanic... Grease, what do you think? Can you fix this?"

[Roll for the examination?]
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

The harness lay on the ground, attracting dust.

[Mind/Mechanics roll]

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

"Flick, flick, Flick!" Soot cursed as she tried to stop herself from careening into the second line of orbs.

Spoiler
    Show
    Body 2 + Thief 2 + Willpower 7 = +11
    (1d20+11)[14]

((Thank Celestia I decided to invest Willpower... Still it's going to be interesting how far Soot can get by on partial successes))

((Edit: Wait No, I put down my new Willpower by mistake instead of the old, that should be a fifteen, sorry))
    Last edited by Ravian; 2014-05-09 at 01:53 PM.
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

Soot skidded to a halt just in front of the next line of orbs. Up on the throne, another onyx sphere flickered into existance.

Alone touched down next to Soot.

"One down, two to go?" asked the filly, looking at the next wave with some trepidation.

[DC10 to clear the next wave.]

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

"You're overreacting," Dive Bomb said, running a feather over the split section. "About the sabotage, I mean. We've no evidence to support that theory, no culprit, and no motive. Working to remove a source of food for the city would benefit no-one but the workers, and somehow I don't think any of us would do this."
    "Well pardon me for having an imagination..." Crown pouted, and stepped aside as the more mechanically-inclined ponies did their work.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

The pegasus bent lower to examine the strap. Probably just wear and tear.

"As for a mechanic... Grease, what do you think? Can you fix this?"

[Roll for the examination?]
    Spoiler: Examination Roll
    Show
    Mind 5 + Mechanic 4 = 9
    9+5=14

Grease gave the strap a look, her head cocked sideways. "Yes, actually, I think I can," she said, picking the harness up off the ground. "Let's see, how did someone manage to break you..."

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

"Right, we can do this." Soot muttered as she braced herself before making her next leap over the orbs
    Spoiler
    Show
    Body 2 + Thief 2 + Harmony 1 = +5
    (1d20+5)[21]

12. - Top - End - #132

"Well pardon me for having an imagination..." Crown pouted, and stepped aside as the more mechanically-inclined ponies did their work.
    "Better to be firmly grounded in reality than lose time out of our day in something that probably isn't the case," Dive Bomb said, his voice monotone. "While sabotage is a possibility, it's better to focus on the more simple explanations."

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

"Better to be firmly grounded in reality than lose time out of our day in something that probably isn't the case," Dive Bomb said, his voice monotone. "While sabotage is a possibility, it's better to focus on the more simple explanations."
    Yep.

Unfortunately for rationality, it was sabotage. Somepony had cut through the harness with a sharp instrument. Who knew what else they'd done to the plow?

[Partial success on the second tier of info. DC 15 mind/mechanics roll to ascertain it.]

"Right, we can do this." Soot muttered as she braced herself before making her next leap over the orbs
    Spoiler
    Show
    Body 2 + Thief 2 + Harmony 1 = +5
    [roll0]
    Soot and Alone dropped down behind the second row of spheres and shared a glance.

"I figure we're getting better at that." observed Alone. It was good, because the third line of spheres was thicker than the rest.

[DC 15 body/tumbling roll]

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

"Actually, Dive, he's right," Grease said, with a tone of mild surprise. "Looks like it was cut with a knife or something. Could be they did something else to plow as well." She inspected the metal body of the plow, looking for signs of damage.

Spoiler: Second inspection check
    Show
    Mind 5 + Mechanic 4 = 9
    20+9=29
    A crit! Perhaps I will get this one stored for later...

"Ugh, who would do something like this?" she wondered aloud.

15. - Top - End - #135

Dive Bomb blinked. "Oh. Well. My apologies, Crown. A knife, you say? Who would want to do that?"

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    "Actually, Dive, he's right," Grease said, with a tone of mild surprise. "Looks like it was cut with a knife or something. Could be they did something else to plow as well." She inspected the metal body of the plow, looking for signs of damage.

Spoiler: Second inspection check
    Show
    Mind 5 + Mechanic 4 = 9
    20+9=29
    A crit! Perhaps I will get this one stored for later...

"Ugh, who would do something like this?" she wondered aloud.
    It wasn't clear who would have done this, but it was clear that it was more than a rush job. Somepony had gone and bent part of the mainshare, as well as weakening the coulter. The plough would find it that much harder to pull in a straight line, and could probably even break if repairs weren't made. Whoever had done this, knew how a plough worked.

[You might as well bank it. A crit on the 'recovery roll' won't net you any additional information.]

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Dive Bomb blinked. "Oh. Well. My apologies, Crown. A knife, you say? Who would want to do that?"
    Crown tossed his mane proudly. "Apology accepted, my good Dive Bomb. A little imagination can have its benefits. Such as here; who could have done such a thing?" He paced back and forth, voicing his thoughts to all. "Clearly this is no dumb creature or random act of violence against plowshares. We were targeted; aye, targeted most maliciously. Odd, because unless I'm mistaken none of us have made any enemies in this fair city."

The filly who regularly - and lovingly! - boxed his ears aside.

"Ignoring the possibility that this sabotage was meant for another, either the prosperity of our fields drove another soul mad with jealousy, or this was the act of a serial sabatour! A boogeyman of bedlam!" He shook his raised hoof at their tormentor. "But whatever he or she may be, they are still a mortal pony! And mortal ponies leave clues, either in their handiwork or their hoofdiwork."

He looked to Grease Spot as she finished her inspection. "Well, Miss Spot? What manner of criminal are we dealing with?"

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Crown tossed his mane proudly. "Apology accepted, my good Dive Bomb. A little imagination can have its benefits. Such as here; who could have done such a thing?" He paced back and forth, voicing his thoughts to all. "Clearly this is no dumb creature or random act of violence against plowshares. We were targeted; aye, targeted most maliciously. Odd, because unless I'm mistaken none of us have made any enemies in this fair city."

The filly who regularly - and lovingly! - boxed his ears aside.

"Ignoring the possibility that this sabotage was meant for another, either the prosperity of our fields drove another soul mad with jealousy, or this was the act of a serial sabatour! A boogeyman of bedlam!" He shook his raised hoof at their tormentor. "But whatever he or she may be, they are still a mortal pony! And mortal ponies leave clues, either in their handiwork or their hoofdiwork."

He looked to Grease Spot as she finished her inspection. "Well, Miss Spot? What manner of criminal are we dealing with?"
    "Another farmer, I'd guess," Grease said. "They bent the mainshare out of shape, here. This way, the plow would keep pulling to one side. It could even break entirely. I don't think that a pony who wasn't either a farmer or a mechanic would even be able to say what a mainshare is, much less sabotage one."

"You know, it could be someone on this farm who did this," she said. "Maybe they hoped to get out of a day's work while the plow was being fixed."

[Crit banked for later, then.]
    Last edited by One Tin Soldier; 2014-05-13 at 02:24 AM.

19. - Top - End - #139

"Barring an outright act of sabotage-for-sabotage's sake, then," Dive Bomb mused, "who was assigned to pull the plow today?"

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

"Barring an outright act of sabotage-for-sabotage's sake, then," Dive Bomb mused, "who was assigned to pull the plow today?"
    "Let me see..." Crown pulled out The List and expertly flipped through the assignments. "Seeding...watering...that's the wrong direction. Back to shoveling, approaching plow duty..."

(Not actually sure if we have anypony else working this plot of land. If we don't, then I'll edit this post.)

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

"Let me see..." Crown pulled out The List and expertly flipped through the assignments. "Seeding...watering...that's the wrong direction. Back to shoveling, approaching plow duty..."

(Not actually sure if we have anypony else working this plot of land. If we don't, then I'll edit this post.)
    The three ponies knew that they were the only ones assigned to work the field. And that it was clearly a waste of time to investigate this further. Clearly, they should simply repair the plow and get back to work.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    The three ponies knew that they were the only ones assigned to work the field. And that it was clearly a waste of time to investigate this further. Clearly, they should simply repair the plow and get back to work.
    "Me," Grease said, looking at the "List" from over Crown's shoulder. She breathed a sigh of relief. "Well, I'm fairly certain that I didn't break the plow in my sleep. At least we know that we don't have any layabout saboteurs among us."

"I think I'll need some new straps and a hammer to get this all back into shape," she said. "Luckily, we can pick those up while we're getting the seeds from the city."

23. - Top - End - #143

Dive Bomb paused, examining the strap with a feather. "But..." There was a problem, a mystery! It stared at him, demanding his services. He needed to figure it out.

But... There was also a job to be done. And at least one of them was getting along with it. The pegasus let out a little unhappy whine, but nodded. "Yes. We need to get our job done, and then we can figure it out."

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Crown snapped The List shut professionally, starkly contrasted by his conflicted, flat expression. "Yes, yes. We have our schedule for the day, and we ought to keep it. The blessed trip into the city will let us repair the plow and get on with our fields before too long."

There was a moment where nopony spoke.

"...even though I did very much want to look just once 'round the shed for clues," he added longingly, kicking at the dirt.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Grease thought it over for a moment. The two of them both seemed very eager to do some detective work. Oh well, it wouldn't do any harm. In fact, the idea of finding out who did this and why was tickling the back of her mind as well.

"Ok, fine, let's look around for clues before we leave. We wouldn't want any evidence to disappear while we were away, would we?"
    Last edited by One Tin Soldier; 2014-05-14 at 04:22 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

"Ok, last one, let's do this." Soot lined herself up for the final jump.

Spoiler
    Show
    Body 2 + Thief 2 + Harmony 1 + Willpower 7 = +12
    (1d20+12)[20]

27. - Top - End - #147

Dive Bomb nodded eagerly, though he kept the smile from his face. "Yes. After all, whoever, if there is a who, did this could come back."

Spoiler
    Show
    Mind 5, rolled twice.

(1d20+5)[20]
    (1d20+5)[9]

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

"Exactly!" Crown clapped his hooves eagerly. "Should our criminal roam free, they might sabotage our tools again! Clearly, if we are to farm this land to the best of our ability, then catching this rogue should be our highest priority." He sniffed around the outside of the shed, searching for clues that might've eluded Mister Bomb.

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Rolling to assist. Mind 3 + Painter 3 = +6

Roll: (1d20+6)[10]
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2014-05-14 at 08:30 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

Dive Bomb nodded eagerly, though he kept the smile from his face. "Yes. After all, whoever, if there is a who, did this could come back."

Spoiler
    Show
    Mind 5, rolled twice.

[roll0]
    [roll1]
    Stubbornly, the three ponies ignored their duties in order to chase down a foalish hunch. Still, after at least twenty minutes searching, they weren't able to locate much in the way of definitive evidence. Grease's tools had been disturbed, probably the means by which the sabotage had been enacted. Also, while they were able to spot quite a few of Grease's hoofprints, Dive Bomb's feathers and Crown's golden mane hairs lying around in the shed, there was nothing to hint that anypony else had been there.

Outside, the mud and dirt around the shed did not yield any signs of passage. It was likely that any signs that had existed had been erased overnight by rain.

Clearly, with the investigation hitting a dead end, the trio might finally have the opportunity to get some real work done.

"Ok, last one, let's do this." Soot lined herself up for the final jump.

Spoiler
    Show
    Body 2 + Thief 2 + Harmony 1 + Willpower 7 = +12
    [roll0]
    Soot dropped back down to the sandy ground, easily clearing the last line of orbs. She blew a lock of mane out of her eyes as Alone landed beside her. Together, the two ponies stared up at the broken ruins of the stage, and the throne that sat at the top of the pile of rubble.

*Fwoosh*

Another black orb flickered into being, lit by a burst of purple flame. It illuminated the onyx silhouette of a griffon, lounging on the throne. Rinda's feathers had turned as pitch black as night, and the griffoness slouched in the throne in a posture of lazy repose. One of her golden talons grasped the armrest which, on closer inspection, was some kind of translucent crystal. Her other talon was pressed to her forehead, her eyes were closed, but her expression was one of concentration. She didn't appear to be aware of Soot and Alone's arrival.

30. - Top - End - #150

Well, that was a bust. The pegasus swept up the loose feathers, looking with concern over his wings. If his molt was starting, he'd have to talk with the forepony about scheduling him for a few days off. Inconvenient.

"It looks like our saboteur was just as sneaky as he is mysterious," Dive Bomb proclaimed. "I can't find a thing that indicates anybody has been in here besides ourselves."