New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [IC] The Trailblazer's League <Part 1.5>: Downtime Adventures with "Jamie"

The Lord of Mantas presents
    A Pathfinder Tabletop RPG Adventure
    THE TRAILBLAZER'S LEAGUE
    Downtime Adventures with "Jamie" (a.k.a Kiriel)

It had been a few months since the fateful venture of Guardian, Mirana, Stray, Brigitte, Auva, and "Jamie" (real name Kiriel, not that anyone in the league besides Christoph knew that) to the little village of Woodshaven, where they had found incredible wealth beyond their wildest imagination. In that time, word of the Trailblazer's deeds had spread far and wide across Andoran, as gossip snowballed and bards embellished. And given the magnitude of what had happened, it was suprisingly not far off.

Though of course, to Kiriel, such things were much less important. What truly mattered was that, thanks to their work, his family's future was secure.

Thanks to their newly acquired wealth, Stray, along with his newest tagalong Pun-Pun, had even managed to kit him out with quite the new arsenal, including some rather important upgrades to his trademark sabers and new armor. And with these latest upgrades, it was time to take care of something that had been on the back burner for quite a while... namely, Kiriel's previous "family".

As much as they could be called that.

Walking into the Succulent Eel, a rather opulent tavern in the Liberty District of Almas, Kiriel stopped for a moment to take in the sights. It was getting rather late into the evening, but even so, it was only now beginning to darken, the summer nights being short and sweet (to the average person, at the very least). The tavern was packed, the various patrons feasting on sausage and grilled eel and washing it down plenty of cheaply made ale, the air filled with songs of revelry and joy as several impromptu singalongs dueled for control of the air. All around, waitresses and tavern wenches in modest, yet surprisingly form-fitting outfits rushed around to deliver food and drink.

Two people, in particular, caught Kiriel's eye. The first of these was a dark-haired and clean-shaven man dressed in rather plain clothing - dark grey trousers with a coat and tunic that had a remarkable similarity in color to the the wooden timbers of Almas' buildings. He was not tucked away in the corner, but did appear to have his back turned to the wall, on the outside of the revelers. His eyes darted around the room very quickly, as if he was waiting for someone.

The second person, an almost grotesquely obese man with large spectacles and blonde hair, was dressed in what had to be the most garish, eyesplitting outfit Kiriel had ever seen. Short white breeches cut off just above the knees, with a large, hot pink shirt with green palm trees sown onto it covering his rotund torso. He appeared to be drinking from a very large glass of glowing purple liquid, with a little umbrella in the top.

What do you do?

Everything dissolves into blue.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: [IC] The Trailblazer's League <Part 1.5>: Downtime Adventures with "Jamie"

Kiriel wandered casually inside the tavern, seemingly trying to breathe in all the various odors from the foods and drinks but actually carefully observing everyone in there. As he walked towards the counter, the bards started to sing for someone's birthday and the whole tavern sang along with them except for two men. One looking pretty anxious, almost sweating and seemed like waiting for something, or someone and the other dressed very weirdly for such a place. He changed his course and walked towards the funny-looking guy, and by wearing a very innocent-looking smile he asked him:

"Excuse me kind sir. I didn't mean to bother your thoughts but I couldn't resist myself from asking what is this delicious-looking drink you seem to be enjoying? I'd love to taste something that exotic for once in my life!"

While Kiriel was speaking to the man, he positioned himself in such a way so that he could keep an eye on the other one. He didn't have anything important or out of this world with a first sight, but Kiriel was very curious to see what was the matter that didn't allow him to enjoy his time in the tavern.
    "Once, a bear grappled me and I dropped my weapon. She holded me so hard that the only thing I remember is the bear releasing me and running away. All I saw was a huge part of its arm missing and the wound being burned like someone bit it with fire."

The story of a barbarian while resting after being fatigued by his rage

I AM NOT QUITTING ANY GAMES. I'LL KEEP CHECKING THEM AND BE SUBSCRIBED TO THEM UNTIL THE DM DECLARES THEM DEAD.

3. - Top - End - #3

Turning to Kiriel, the obese tourist gave out a hearty laugh and raised his cocktail in the air, before replying in a drunken slur.

"Y-you don wanna bother me? Frrriend, you're not bothherin' me at all! *hic!* Come, come, shiddon! You an' me're gonna drink double purple ticklers 'til the mornin' comesh! *hic!*"

The tourist slid over his own glass, then leaned in close to the ex-Red Mantis Assassin. "And with one hand I give you mine. Take it. *hic!* I'll jes... Jes get ush another..."

It struck Kiriel that with one hand I give had been given particular emphasis in that sentence - and that the man's drunken slur seemed strangely exaggerated, almost as if he were faking it. Looking back over his shoulder out of the corner of his eye, he saw the clean-shaven man's eyes roaming over him ever so briefly. However, he looked away, Kiriel having apparently not caught his interest. Across the room, as the man's attention turned toward the door once again, Kiriel then spotted something. His tunic slipping, Kiriel could just make out the faintest hint of leather armor concealed underneath - dyed a very familiar shade of red.

Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2015-12-05 at 02:05 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

NecromancerGuy

"Hahaha!! Aren't you a joyful one! So, Jes right? Nice to meet you my friend! My name is Jamie and I just arrived in this place. It's very fortunate to run into someone like you, such a friendly and hospitable person! Thank you!"

With the last sentence Kiriel tried to pass a secret message to Jes, acknowledging the Norgorber's circle salutation.

"Thank you my secret brother. What business brings you here?"

Spoiler: Bluff check
    Show
    (1d20+16)[34] vs 15DC for simple messages or 20DC for complex ones. Opposite sense motive check for anyone other than the target who hears it, to decipher the message
    "Once, a bear grappled me and I dropped my weapon. She holded me so hard that the only thing I remember is the bear releasing me and running away. All I saw was a huge part of its arm missing and the wound being burned like someone bit it with fire."

I AM NOT QUITTING ANY GAMES. I'LL KEEP CHECKING THEM AND BE SUBSCRIBED TO THEM UNTIL THE DM DECLARES THEM DEAD.

5. - Top - End - #5

Default Re: [IC] The Trailblazer's League <Part 1.5>: Downtime Adventures with "Jamie"

"Th-thanksh for the compliment, buddy ol' pal. *hic!* If'n yer a new arrival, *hic!* I've got shome pamphlets I can loan you..."

Kiriel's contact's eyes at this point were deadly serious, and nodded at the message he had passed on. Checking briefly to make sure no-one else was paying them any heed, he almost imperceptibly inclined his head toward the staircase leading upstairs.

The clean-shaven man, in the meantime, continued to look toward the door, drumming his fingers on the table and barely appearing to pay the waitress heed as she put down a stein of some rather watery-looking beer beside him.

Spoiler: If Kiriel chooses to follow him upstairs...
    Show
    Making their way up the stairs, the 'tourist' broke into a brisk walk as soon as they were out of sight of the others. He quickly showed Kiriel into one of the rooms, dark and lit only by the moon shining through the window. Pulling the curtains, he turned back to the assassin and placed his hands together in a kata.

<SPYRT DSPG.>

A flash of magic went around him, and in that instant the overweight tourist was transformed into a dark, hooded figure in loose robes, his face covered by an iron mask. He spoke, his voice this time a rumbling, scratchy bass.

"Good tidings, my secret brother. I have important business with you tonight, business that concerns you in particular - a warning, if you will."

6. - Top - End - #6

NecromancerGuy

"What do you mean "concern me in particular"??? Only 1 person knows where I am and why and I doubt that you would know him. Do you know who I am?"

Kiriel suspicious to the stranger tries to read his voice and body language for any tells on him.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    (1d20+8)[13]
    Sense Motive check *
    Last edited by skypse; 2015-12-07 at 07:34 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

"In a manner of speaking. When you spend your days looking for useful information to pass on to the Reaper's Children, you start to notice certain patterns. A contact whose lips are too loose, who notes that certain people are in a given area at the same time, et cetera. Of course, what I've found out most recently helped with that, as well."

The lone eye visible through the mask took on a serious look. "I trust you have heard of the Red Mantis Assassins, yes? Exceptionally creepy bastards, but you have to admire their prowess. Anyway, the circle has recently heard that they've come here, to Almas, on a mission to kill the People's Voice, Jarlisa Hermedas. Ordinarily this wouldn't be of particular concern, except that they apparently plan to try and pin the blame on the local Norgoborians. If they succeed at framing us, it will drastically compromise our operations in Andoran. More to the point, they've apparently found out that one of their former operatives is in the area, and plan to try and kill him as well. Funny thing is, said operative is described exactly like you under that disguise. Very good work, by the way, almost couldn't recognize you."

Kiriel could detect no falsehood in the man's voice or demeanour.

Spoiler: Jarlisa Hermedas
    Show
    As a resident of Almas, Kiriel would be aware that the People's Voice is the elected repesentative of the People's Council, the representatives of all the various territories in Andoran. (In terms of American Politics, think Speaker of the House.)

8. - Top - End - #8

NecromancerGuy

"The assassins are mere pawns. Coming that far from Mediogaldi must mean that the queen there wants to expand in Andoran and that's no good for anyone. However I doubt they can accuse the circle of an assassination that big unless there is a traitor inside it. After all the circle's existence is not to be publicly known. Worshipers of Norgorber are not exactly welcome in such regions. In any case we can't let such a strong authority figure to be taken out of picture, no matter who gets the blame. We need to find our brothers in the government and discretely reinforce her personal security, even putting one of them to keep an eye on her. At the same time we have to go undercover and break their operation from the inside. I bet you have already noticed the mantis downstairs right?"

9. - Top - End - #9

"I highly suspected, but I didn't actually see any proof. Good eyes, there. If that's the case, then we need to move quickly, because that leads into what I know next. The information I got about the planned assassination didn't go overly much into details, as it was an intercepted communique to one of the Mantis'. More specifically, it was a call to the Mantis we currently see downstairs. He is due to meet with his contact here within the hour, at which time he will receive the instructions and details on their plan."

10. - Top - End - #10

NecromancerGuy

"Get back to your disguise again then. We need to move quickly and keep an eye on him. We can't take on the Mantises alone so it's better to gather some information and then share them within the circle. Tomorrow morning we have to contact with our acquaintances inside the government. Just a thing before we move though: I'm not used to working with strangers so I'd appreciate it if you shared your name."

Spoiler: Sense Motive again
    Show
    (1d20+8)[14]

11. - Top - End - #11

"My true name is largely inconsequential. For the purpose of this exercise, however, you may feel free to refer to me as Talon."

With a second kata and magic utterance, Talon changed back into his tourist disguise, and made toward the stairs - then held up a hand.

"It looks like our friend found his friend. They're going out the side door into the alleyway beside the building."

Peeking past the disguised Wizard, Kiriel could see that this was, indeed the case.
    "There should be a window overlooking the alley directly further down the hall. We can slip out of the building and observe them from there."

12. - Top - End - #12

NecromancerGuy

"Ok. You go over the window. I'll follow them invisible in case they walk away to have their meeting elsewhere."

Kiriel walks back into the room so he would minimize the noise from his spellcasting and then casts invisibility and spider climb on himself. He then moves out of the window and walks on the wall above the alley trying to be close to them so he can hear and see them clearly.

Spoiler: Stealth
    Show
    (1d20+39)[55]

13. - Top - End - #13

"Copy that."

Talon scuttled away toward the window overlooking the alley, while Kiriel followed after the pair. Silent as a shadow in the dark, he was able to completely avoid the notice of either of the Red Mantis Assassins, the two not sparing so much as a single glance in his direction. Crouching behind a conveniently placed crate mere feet away from them, Kiriel opened his ears as the two began to talk, the one who had been in the pub earlier initiating the conversation.

"It's about time. I thought you would never show up."
    "If you want to blame someone, blame those infernal Eagle Knights. Getting my sabers by them was not an easy task, and I'll hear no complaints about it from someone who's been in Andoran so long he might as well have gone native."

The first man's voice took on a warning tone. "My loyalty to our Mistress and the Assassins has never been in doubt. In any case, what's the situation? I've never been on a mission requiring more than one of us."

The second man grumbled, but continued. "So here's the situation. We've been hired to kill the People's Voice of Andoran - Jarlisa Hermedas. She's holding a party at her villa north of this city here, and will be there the whole night, surrounded by a crowd of people from diverse backgrounds. Our mission head has decided to strike there."
    "In the middle of a party?! Won't that leave tons of witnesses? And tonight - that's not a lot of time to get there...""Our client was very specific about the request, to the point where he offered our Mistress an unspecified future favor."

A brief moment of silence.

"You'd think they'd learn that's never worth it."

"No skin off my back. Anyway, I copied down all the relevant information here."
    The second man waved a small piece of parchment. "You can revise it while we're on our way to pick up our horses at the north gate."

14. - Top - End - #14

NecromancerGuy

Kiriel closes up to the two men talking, drawing his swords out and staying next to them trying to read the note without making any noise.

Spoiler: Perc
    Show
    (1d20+19)[33]

15. - Top - End - #15

It was difficult to read the note, clutched as it was in the RMA's hand, without any actual light to see by, for Kiriel's darkvision did not allow him to distinguish the colors necessary to read in the dark. However, for a brief moment, the assassin held it up to an errant beam of light coming from the tavern, and Kiriel caught a brief glimpse of the note. From the words he was able to glean, it appeared as if the RMAs were planning on disguising themselves as servants - one as a guard, one as a cook, and another as someone Kiriel didn't catch - and causing a disturbance to drive the People's Voice to her private quarters.

16. - Top - End - #16

NecromancerGuy

Kiriel struggled with the idea of slaying both of them at the spot but after thinking carefully he put his swords back in their sheathes and went back to the tavern. Climbing the wall from the outside he steps in from the window and breaks his invisibility.

"We have to act fast. You must inform the brothers in the circle. The assassins will infiltrate the party that will be held tonight at Hermedas's mansion. They will disguise themselves as servants, guards and something else that I could not manage to read. We have to talk with the People's Voice and alert her. It would be a big shame if the only worthy politician nowadays gets slain for a bitch's favor. I asked before: Do we have anyone from the circle near her? We will need his help and it will make our lives so much easier since we are bonded by the same oaths. He will believe us."

17. - Top - End - #17

Talon rubbed his chin. "Most of the circle really doesn't give out contact info, aside from meeting in the same place at preset intervals. But, as it happens, I do know one guy who's quite good at infiltration and can be very discreet. And if all you want is someone to make a run to the People's Voice to deliver a message, I know this guy who can't fight worth a damn, but he owns a very fancy and very fast horse."

He reached into his pack, pulling out a scroll. "If you want them, I can contact them both right now and then we can make a beeline for the mansion. I know how to let us fly magically."

18. - Top - End - #18

NecromancerGuy

"Tell the infiltrator to help tighten her security. We need as many as we can near her. Tell him to also warn her and let her know about the assassins' plan to put the blame on the circle. He doesn't need to admit his place in the circle since I doubt she will be happy for it. We should catch up with the other two; they won't expect a fight and we might be able to take them down fast by surprise. If not, then do enough damage so their plan will be aborted. They are headed for the north gate, let's fly over there and strike them before they reach the mansion. Can you fight?"

19. - Top - End - #19

"Fight? Ha! I can do you one better, my friend. I can warp the fabric of space time itself."

Talon held up a hand glowing with magic energy before pulling out both his scrolls, chanting softly. He then stared off into space, as if talking to someone illusory.

"Delivered info to Watchbug. He requests help putting the vermin down before they can muck things up. Can you infiltrate Talker's Mansion? Pay determined later."

A pause passed by for a minute before Talon looked back at Kiriel. "Went ahead and offered to do the job for free. Apparently there's something there he's interested in... best not to ask questions of him, I've found." Energy flowed through the arcanist's hands as he infused both he and the assassin with the ability to fly.

"Let's move."

Flying through the air, Talon and Kiriel were easily able to evade the not-so-watchful eye of the Almas City Guards, the Eagle Knights largely dismissive of the idea that anyone could possibly pose a threat to their city - and, even among those who did, none of them really ever thought to look up. As such, it was 7 minutes of solid flying later, and a sizeable distance away from the city walls, when they spotted the RMAs. Pulling in close, they hovered 30 feet above the roving pair...

And something clattered on Talon's belt, leading both the RMA's heads to flash upward.

Roll for Initiative.

Spoiler: Which you won.
    Show
    They beat Talon's stealth check by one point. Since this is a very small encounter and you're the only one playing, we're going to use traditional Initiative for this. Kiriel gets to act first, followed by both RMAs and then Talon. A map will be up shortly, but basically at this point you're flying 30 feet above the both of them.

20. - Top - End - #20

NecromancerGuy

Before Talon used his magic Kiriel put on his mask to hide his face from anyone that might see them. As soon as they flew close, he drew out his swords but right before he made his move the two men turned their heads towards him.

"Damn! Fast, take out the horses!"

Saying that, Kiriel flew like a dart straight for one of the horses, trying to cut through it so the rider would fall down and not run away.

Show
    Full round action charge attack, attacking the closest horse to Kiriel. If the horses are considered flat footed add 5d6 damage.
    Charge Attack roll: (1d20+15)[26]
    Critical on 34-35: (1d20+15)[22]
    Damage: (1d8+11)[17]
    Critical Damage: (2d8+22)[31]
    Sneak Attack (if horse is ff): (5d6)[25]

21. - Top - End - #21

With a snicker-snack, Kiriel's twin sawblades cut the first hapless RMA's horse to pieces, sending the assassin flying off into the dirt with an oof and causing the first horse to rear wildly. The second assassin, after looking first to the horizon and then to the Trailblazer, apparently decided that he would have a higher chance of surviving if he stayed and fought, and made to try and leap off his horse.

Unfortunately, the RMA's foot caught on the saddle horn, and though he managed to right himself he lost precious seconds. The second RMA, getting to his feet, subsequently gave Kiriel an opening to lay down some hurt on the hapless man. Determined to go down fighting, however, both swung a saber in Kiriel's direction...

Spoiler: Actions 1
    Show
    RMA 2 Falling Damage: (1d6)[2]

Kiriel's AoO vs. RMA 2 Attack: (1d20+16)[24]
    Damage: (1d8+9)[10]

RMA 1 Attack: (1d20+9)[23]
    RMA 1 Damage: (1d8+7)[8]

RMA 2 Attack: (1d20+9)[25]
    RMA 2 Damage: (1d8+7)[13]

Kiriel's attack found its mark, while the RMA's attacks were easily sidestepped. Talon, in the meantime, stayed flying, choosing the moment to unleash a magical ear-piercing scream at the second RMA...

Spoiler: Actions 2
    Show
    Talon Spell Attack (vs. Fort): (1d20+7)[21]
    Sonic Damage: (4d6)[15]

The scream found its way home, the red mantis visibly wincing in pain as the sonic scream dazed him.

Spoiler: Round 2 Begins!
    Show
    You're up.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2015-12-23 at 08:48 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

NecromancerGuy

Kiriel laughed at the pointless efforts of the two assassins.

"So this is what the once glorious RMAs have become? 2 wimps that can't even land an attack? You disgust me. Don't kill them. We are going to need them for later"

With a swift swirl Kiriel attacked both the RMAs hitting them carefully in order to just make them faint.

Show
    Free action to activate boots of haste (9/10 remaining)
    Full attack Action

Attack 1: (1d20+14)[28]
    Critical on 32-34: (1d20+14)[20]
    Damage: (1d8+9)[13]
    Critical Damage: (2d8+18)[27]

Attack 2: (1d20+16)[31]
    Critical on 35-36: (1d20+16)[22]
    Damage: (1d8+11)[13]
    Critical Damage: (2d8+22)[32]

Two-Weapon Fighting: (1d20+9)[23]
    Critical on 27-29: (1d20+9)[28]
    Critical Damage: (2d8+18)[25]

Improved Two-Weapon Fighting: (1d20+11)[19]
    Critical on 30-31: (1d20+11)[16]
    Damage: (1d8+11)[17]
    Critical Damage: (2d8+22)[27]

Attack from Haste: (1d20+16)[22]
    Critical on 35-36: (1d20+16)[31]
    Damage: (1d8+11)[14]
    Critical Damage: (2d8+22)[34]

Kiriel will start attacking at the injured RMA (R2) and once that RMA drops unconscious he will turn to the other. He only attacks until they fall unconscious and not to slay them.
    New AC from Haste: 31 until my next turn
    Last edited by skypse; 2015-12-23 at 06:01 PM. Reason: color

23. - Top - End - #23

With a series of quick strikes, Kiriel lashed out at the RMAs, downing the second - who fell to the ground, unconscious and bleeding - and severely crippling the first, who lashed out in turn.

Spoiler: Actions 1
    Show
    RMA 1 spends a Ki point to gain 1 extra attack.

Attack 1: (1d20+7)[27]
    Attack 2: (1d20+7)[15]
    Attack 3: (1d20+6)[13]

Damage 1: (1d8+7)[13]
    Damage 2: (1d8+7)[9]
    Damage 3: (1d8+4)[7]

Despite Kiriel being much quicker than the RMA, one lucky strike found its way through his armor, leaving a gash down his chest.

Meanwhile, Talon lashed out with another spell, spewing magic missiles from his fingers at the conscious assassin.

Spoiler: Actions 2
    Show
    Magic Missile 1: (1d4+1)[2]
    Magic Missile 2: (1d4+1)[4]
    Magic Missile 3: (1d4+1)[3]
    Magic Missile 4: (1d4+1)[4]
    Magic Missile 5: (1d4+1)[4]

Spoiler: Round 3 Begins!
    Show
    And because he failed his CON check, RMA 2 is now at Negative 8 HP.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2015-12-26 at 10:32 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24

NecromancerGuy

Kiriel stares the assassin that attacked him while he was dropping the other one down.

"Too bad you couldn't finish it. You won't have another chance"

Show
    Full Attack action on the standing RMA

Attack 1: (1d20+14)[23]
    Critical on 34-36: (1d20+14)[25]
    Critical Damage: (2d8+18)[30]

Attack 2: (1d20+16)[20]
    Critical on 37-38: (1d20+16)[36]
    Damage: (1d8+11)[12]
    Critical Damage: (2d8+22)[27]

Two-Weapon Fighting: (1d20+9)[10]
    Critical on 27-29: (1d20+9)[24]
    Damage: (1d8+9)[16]
    Critical Damage: (2d8+18)[27]

Improved Two-weapon Fighting: (1d20+11)[19]
    Critical on 20-21: (1d20+11)[26]
    Damage: (1d8+11)[18]
    Critical Damage: (2d8+22)[35]

Spoiler: If the second one drops down as well
    Show
    Kiriel turns to Talon: "We need to stabilize them, break their legs so they can't escape and wake them up."

25. - Top - End - #25

Talon looked at Kiriel curiously as he suggested stabilizing the two Red Mantis', touching down to earth. "Honestly, it seems less risky to just try to read what they've got written down, but alright. I'll warn you, I haven't got any spells for this, so we're both going to have to do it manually."Touching down beside the first Red Mantis Kiriel had killed, he began haphazardly tearing off strips of the RMA's outfit to try and bind his wounds...

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Talon performs an untrained DC 15 Heal check on RMA 2 to Stabilize him.

Heal: (1d20)[17]

RMA 1 Stabilization Check: (1d20-5)[15]
    RMA 2 Stabilization Check if Talon fails: (1d20-6)[14]

Surprisingly, Talon proved to be better than he thought at stabilizing the bleeding-out assassin, and in seconds he was bandanged up and the wounds had stopped gushing. Similiarly, the other one no longer appeared to be bleeding out either, having managed to stabilize on his own.

Tottering off to the side of the road, Talon soon returned with two large rocks.

"Breaking the leg of either of these ones will probably wake them up, so I recommend we start off with just one. You pick him, and we'll both bash a leg on three."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    You may also elect to ask your first question when you post to bash.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2015-12-29 at 02:12 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

NecromancerGuy

"Pffff actually nevermind. Help me tie them up. We tie the one who was in the tavern like a deer and put the dead horse on top of him so he can't escape and let him sleep. We'll tie the other one on that tree and wake him up to ask him questions. Meanwhile let's take all their items and clothes so they won't have anything to attack us with. Keep in mind that RMAs have some magical training so he might try to use magic on you. Do you have any magical abilities to affect his mind so he talks to us easier?"

Kiriel searches the two men for any information on their identities or their mission while he and Talon remove their equipment and clothes. After they secure the first assassin lying under the dead horse and Talon works his magic on the tied up RMA, Kiriel wakes him up.
    "Good morning sunshine. Sorry for that but you didn't seem like you would hear what I had to say otherwise. Would you care to explain what you're doing here and what exactly is this paper I'm holding?"
    *shows him the paper that he handed to the one in the tavern*

Spoiler
    Show
    Just to clarify, the one who was waiting in the tavern is now under the horse tied up and the other one who had the letter initially is the one we are questioning that is tied up on the tree.

27. - Top - End - #27

Working quickly, Talon pulled the dead horse, the still-living horse (which, for some reason, had not run off screaming into the night), and both red mantises off to the side of the road. The horse corpse was promptly placed on the first of the unconscious assassins, while the second was lashed to a nearby tree, as per Kiriel's instructions. Both, of course, were relieved of all their possessions, which were piled unceremoniously into a heap, and Talon was able to find the scrap of paper that had been previously bandied about, handing it to Kiriel. Examining the note, it took a while to decipher, mostly because the assassin who'd written it had very messy handwriting.

Target: Jarlisa Hermedas
    Place: Summer Mansion, 3 miles north of Almas

Plan is to go in the rear entrances. I'm assigned to go in first, subdue a guard, and then either bluff the rest into going elsewhere or draw their attention while Vain Narwhal and Laughing Panther sneak in. Vain Narwhal, who I'm going to rendezvous with, will attempt to disguise himself as a cook and poison the pheasant - with any luck, we'll take out the People's Voice and several others at the same time without even having to show ourselves. Laughing Panther has the riskiest job of all of us, and that is to disguise himself as one of the target's bodyguards. If all else fails, the master, Screaming Pheonix, is waiting inside the Voice's panic room - where he will be awaiting our target as she attempts to retreat to safety.
    Spoiler: Kiriel
    Show
    This style of codename seems unfamiliar to you, as it was not in use when you were a trainee. However, Screaming Pheonix seems vaguely unsettling, as it reminds you of an old saying of your masters.

"Even if one of you should fall in the line of duty, as a herald of Achaekaek, you will never falter - for like a pheonix, we arise screaming from the ashes of defeat, to subsume our enemies in the glorious explosion that results."

Spoiler: Loot
    Show
    +1 Keen Sawtooth Saber
    2x +1 Sawtooth Sabers with Effortless Lace wrapped around the handles
    +1 Agile Sawtooth Saber
    2x Red Stalker Armor
    2x Scroll of Alter Self
    (2d10)[8] Platinum Pieces

Working his magic on the unconscious mantis, Talon then poured a potion of healing down his mouth ("Not going to get any info out of him otherwise.") and jostled him awake. Blearily, he blinked before perking up at Kiriel's question.

Quote Originally Posted by skypse View Post
    "Good morning, sunshine. Sorry for that, but you didn't seem like you would hear what I had to say otherwise. Would you care to explain what you're doing here and what exactly is this paper I'm holding?"
    The assassin shrugged. "Never could keep all the mission requirements straight if I didn't write them down - awful memory for names, in particular. I'm good enough with a saber for them to keep me on despite that." The assassin looked upward. "I'd say the others will be arriving relatively soon - in about half an hour, or so I'd guess. If we don't arrive they're due to infiltrate on their own and proceed with the plan."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Happy New Year, skypse! Sorry about not updating yesterday, but by the time I got around to it I was really tired and lacked the mental focus to put together anything coherent.

28. - Top - End - #28

NecromancerGuy

Kiriel stayed silent for a moment thinking over what the assassin was telling him. Eventually he takes out his waterskin and pours some into the assassin's mouth.

"Here, drink some. ....... So, it seems that only you 4 are part of the plan right? That Screaming Phoenix guy you said is your master? Could you describe him?"

He takes a moment after the assassin gives him the description and then whispers to Talon

"Check this message. It seems like they really want her dead if they plan out 3 additional plans. Using people just because they are good with the sword is unlike the RMAs. I believe all of these is just a diversion so they will raise the alarm and let the master take care of everything in the panic room. Do you think you can disguise yourself as the other guy?"

After the assassin drinks and speaks, Kiriel turns back to him.

"Where is the randevouz point with the others? Is it far from here? How would you recognize each other?"

Show
    Feel free to roll yourself any diplomacy rolls you deem necessary. The modifier is +16

29. - Top - End - #29

The assassin drank gratefully from Kiriel's waterskin.

"Thank you, friend. Not quite like being untied, but I was pretty thirsty. Screaming Pheonix... I only saw him once, and he was in his full garb. I did see a little of his appearance as he was adjusting his mask, however - he's got black salt-and-pepper hair, and there was a scar on his left ear - jagged, and going up to the tip. Had a bit of a reverberant baritone voice, from what I remember."

Kiriel noted that this was consistent with his master's appearance. At his question, Talon nodded and smiled grimly.

"With one of these scrolls? Easy as pie."

To his second question, the red mantis replied, "The rendezvous point is on top a hill to the north of the mansion, beneath an oak tree with a symbol of Achaekek carved into the bark. Can't miss it - it's one of the only trees on the hill, and it's right near the peak. Apart from Screaming Pheonix, we've never seen each other, so there's a password and counterphrase. The password is 'beware the green monkey', and the counterphrase is 'He barks at midnight'."

30. - Top - End - #30

NecromancerGuy

"Hmmm... From what I understand they just need you guys to create a diversion. As you can tell by my gear and mask I am a former member of the RMAs. Got through the training like nobody before me. Trust me when I say that the RMAs have so much faith in themselves that they never need a 3rd backup plan. It seems to me like their original plan is for Screaming Phoenix to assassinate the People's Voice in the Panic Room after you guys fail. I mean do you have any idea what kind of security will be at that party??? I'll tell you what: How about my friend here disguises himself as your partner, you go with him to the randevouz point and I follow you invisible behind and after you meet with the Screaming Phoenix and the other poor sacrificial soul we take the Phoenix down all together. Noone will live to tell the story and if you prove yourself worthy I can arrange a job meeting for you with the great Christoph Carloman himself so you can join the ranks of The Trailblazer's League. I bet you've heard of them right? They are like the biggest thing in all of Andoran nowadays."

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    (1d20+16)[34]