New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Reasonable Prices [IC]

Borris stares at the man a moment before shrugging.
    "My word is as it stands, those who would reneg on a bargain opened fairly deserve their punishment, and I'd rather not piss you off, all said and done."
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

Life is Hectic.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

Jord closes his fingers around the ring. "Good enough," he says softly, before his gaze sharpens on Borris. "I don't trust you. But it hear him will have to be good enough." He turns, his back to the pair, and they hear him unlocking a drawer and placing the ring in it before turning the key again. "It will be safe. My desk is locked in more ways than one." He clears his throat. So, you want a job. I won't let you displace any of the proper guildmembers, but we can find a place for you. I need your name, age, race," he looks pointedly at Azur's yellow eyes, "occupation, and skillset."

3. - Top - End - #123

"Borris Stablehand. 20. Human. Militia Member, Animal Raiser and Trainer, Handyman. I'm good on a horse."
    Borris recites the requested information.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Sorry for delay, this was lost in the tabs.
    Show

Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.

Life is Hectic.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

"Good enough. And you?" His eyes fix on Azur, clearly more interested in what the blacksmith has to say.

5. - Top - End - #125

"Name: Azur
    Race..."

Here, Azur is stuck. After the bargain, he has no idea whether he is still human with inhuman powers or something else entirely. As much as he doesn't want to say the whole truth, the thought of lying to the man rankles him. After a moment's thought, he gives the most honest and non-committal answer he can think of:

"Race: Unknown
    Skills: Weapon mastery, Proficiency in multiple languages"

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

"Sixteen?" The man raises his eyebrows. "You don't look it." His interest is quickly subsumed, however, in the curiosity that plays on his face after 'Race: Unknown'. "What do you mean?" he demands. "What, you don't know your own species? Was your father a shapeshifter? Your brother a half-elf? You get all kinds in here looking for work, but I've never had someone who doesn't even know what to call himself. And yet, it's too ridiculous to be a lie. So go on, Master Azur, explain yourself."

7. - Top - End - #127

Reluctantly, Azur responds, "I was once a normal human. Long ago, my village was attacked by demons. A curse was laid upon me. A few weeks ago, I slept through a feverish dream with a smiling, shadowy figure. I woke up the next morning as... this." His hands widen to encompass himself. "My sheets were covered in hoarfrost, and I had changed." Flicking a hand to the side, a concealed length of chain extends. Azur's wrist flicks and the chain coils around his torso. Looking the guildmaster in the eye, he states simply, "I don't know what I am anymore."

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

"Well. That is... quite something. Several of our members have similar stories, but I believe none have received similar, ah, changes as a result. Demon hunter, you said? I can see why. Well, I shall have to ruminate on what jobs would be suitable for men of your particular talents. How should I let you know if there's a new opportunity?" H is smile reappears on his face; if he's been shaken by Azur's story he's not showing it.

9. - Top - End - #129

Borris speaks up.
    "We currently reside at "The Gilded Mirror", a inn nearby."
    Show

Life is Hectic.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

"Noted. I shall contact the innkeeper when I have a job lined up for you. If you change residence, be sure to let me know. Until then, it sounds like we're done here?" He stands up, despite the fact that he's not going anywhere.

11. - Top - End - #131

Azur nods. "Yes, we are." He turns and exits the door.

12. - Top - End - #132

Borris nods.
    "I'll be sure to. Thank you for your time and assistance."

Borris leaves with Azur, catching up.
    "Perhaps adding less sandpaper to your speech will do you good... In the mean time, I need to sleep, so we can discuss interesting jobs in the morning, and perhaps grab a couple of people to work with..."
    ---
    In the morning, after sleeping, Borris will express interest in taking the job at the wizards tower if so told. Should days come to pass, Borris will work to make what money he can, which while skilled probably wont be much.
    Last edited by Erik Vale; 2014-07-10 at 12:35 AM.
    Show

Life is Hectic.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

About a week later, the innkeeper calls Borris and Azur over as they descend the stairs for breakfast. "Jord says you're working for the guild now," he says, surveying the pair with renewed interest. "Tells me he's got a job perfect for you. Told me to ask you, Azur, whether you've ever dealt with, ah, visitors to the Material of another kind."

14. - Top - End - #134

It was a hard week for Borris, he had apprenticed before, yes, but he wasn't used to bein an apprentice, or working so long hours...
    At least when he was shaping wood in the tavern it was relaxing, and having some coin, in addition to the happy looks from some when he got the chance to sell a wooden toy or the like does help.

And coming down early [with Azur 'forced' to come along so they can talk] to eat his morning meal, Borris half smiles at the sound of a job.

"That does indeed sound like something very interesting... Breakfast sounds more interesting for me though. I've a feeling you've already got my usual ready, any chance you have something I could take it in and would trust me with a fork?"
    Show

Life is Hectic.

15. - Top - End - #135

A week's delay does Azur a surprising amount of good. Having a chance to pummel out frustration at the forge while putting silver in his pocket actually raises his spirits. Before the week is out, a brand new greataxe is handed to the local smith. Images of demon heads flying come to mind as the weapon is exchanged.

Coming down to eat breakfast with Borris, his good mood is ruined by the barkeep's question. He growls slightly. Relax. He doesn't know. He's just doing what he was told. Don't flay the messenger.

His reply still carries more bite than he intended. "Jord knows very well that I have. Get to the point."

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

"Well, I'm only the messenger. It seems Jord didn't see fit to entrust me with the specific details, but he wanted both of you in his office, as soon as was convenient. I've got it a bite ready for you already, Borris." He hands the stablehand a crudely carved wooden bowl. "Better not risk irritating the guildmaster, this early in the morning."

17. - Top - End - #137

Borris takes his bowl and spoon with a nod [and quickly passed over coin, paying the amount he normally does for a day in advance, just in case], before heading off to the guild master.
    Show

Life is Hectic.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

Jord is leaning back in his chair when the pair enters his office. "Good morning, and don't you both look bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. I hope your stay here in town has been enjoyable. However, although I hate to break up your vacation, we have work for you to do. It's not demons, but hopefully your expertise will be useful enough. I suppose, in order for me to avoid giving redundant information, first you should let me know whether either of you have heard of the creatures known as mephits."

19. - Top - End - #139

Azur shakes his head slowly. "...No. I have never heard of mephits. What are they?"

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

"Mephits are, well, elementals I suppose. They look like little imps, twisted creatures with elemental heritage that manifests in a number of ways. They all have wings, and usually horns as well. Each one also possesses a unique breath weapon, or so I'm told. Well, I don't know how or why they got here, but there are four or five of them currently in the town. They've been fighting among themselves, stealing from citizens, and generally making a nuisance of themselves, and certain people are willing to pay good coin to make sure this is stopped. Since most of my men are firmly grounded in the material and have little experience outside of it, I thought I'd give you two a chance to prove your worth. And if you're killed, your corpses can be disposed of with relatively little effort, so it's a win-win. We'll say for each mephit head you bring me I'll pay you... let's say two hundred fifty. Fair enough?"

21. - Top - End - #141

"250 each per head, or 250 per head?"
    He's not that good at bargaining, but Borris knows how to start a slight one... But in either case, that deal is... Well... Huge... Nearly mind boggling for Borris.

Spoiler
    Show

I'm happy to time skip... And would be interested if we could hire a additional spear.
    Last edited by Erik Vale; 2014-08-04 at 11:24 PM. Reason: color screwed up
    Show

Life is Hectic.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

"250 for you to share. I'm not going to bankrupt myself over vermin control. Now then, assuming that is acceptable, the next time I see you two I expect you to be holding mephit heads." He shuffles the papers on his desk and turns his attention away, the audience clearly over.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sure, where are you going?

23. - Top - End - #143

Borris nods, turning and walking out. When Azur's next to him, he'll start talking plans.
    Show

Life is Hectic.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

The city has a few watch houses, though more than one of them have grown dilapidated with time and the otherwise occupied attentions of the watchmen. The one nearest the adventurer's guild, fortunately, is not so. A small, unassuming brick building nestled among far more impressive architecture, it nonetheless manages to hold its own. It has no sign over the door.

The man behind the desk looks up from jotting down something as the pair enter. "Yes? Do you have a problem to report?" he asks. There appear to be circles under his eyes, but his voice is nevertheless firm and reassuring.

25. - Top - End - #145

"Have you been having trouble with elemental spirits lately? Jord sent us."

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

"Yes, I suppose that's true. Damned tricky things and hard to kill, so they believe they can do whatever they like without fear of consequence. You're from the adventurers' guild, eh? Going to take care of them for us?"
    Last edited by Plerumque; 2014-08-07 at 09:05 AM.

27. - Top - End - #147

"Yes, but I do have one question." Azur's eyes bore intensely at the watchman. "Have they killed anyone?"

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

The watchman hesitates. "I'm not sure. There has been some very extensive property damage, several homes burned down. There have been numerous reports of injuries as well. The pyromaniac seems to be the most aggressive by far, and several of his victims have ended up with severe burns and scarring. There were a few cases of frostbite when people came near the area claimed by the ice mephit, and at least one man may never walk again. The others- three, I believe- they haven't been seen as much, but there was a case with a child almost drowning a few days ago. They are reckless vandals with no respect for human safety and no concept of ownership, but to my knowledge they have stopped short of taking a life. I still, however, believe they should be stamped out with all force necessary, and were the guard properly equipped to handle them I assure you they already would be." He is scowling by the time he finishes the speech. "Have I answered your question satisfactorily?"

29. - Top - End - #149

Azur nods. "Yes. I was merely gauging the best way to... deal with these things. Make sure the punishments are fitting. Where was the last sighting?"

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

"I'd recommend you deal with the arsonist first, because he's the most likely to hurt other people in the time it takes you to get to him. I can't say for certain where he is, but the last report we had of his presence was the night before last, when he burned down the dwarf Ambarsson's foundry."