New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Book of Erotic Fantasy

The main issue is that there is a 3rd party (the freight forwarder) involved. The seller at Amazon hasn't done anything wrong.

Finally got an answer back from the freight forwarder: the can dispose of the book for free, attempt to return it to the seller ($20), or send it to another address in the USA ($20).

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Finally got an answer back from the freight forwarder: the can dispose of the book for free, attempt to return it to the seller ($20), or send it to another address in the USA ($20).
    Wait... Because they refuse to do the job you contracted them for, they are charging you more?
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheThan View Post
    more accurately, the fluff is presented really seriously and somewhat maturely (not that sort of mature) but the crunch is all... well... not so serious. i mean they have a prestige class that turns the party wizard into a magical peeping tom. Its like a bunch of adults wrote the fluff, and a bunch of drunken frat boys wrote the crunch.
    Its alot different then if frat members wrote the book, if you want something that has the crunch of the homebrew of a frat, thats Portable Hole Full of Beer/Son of Portable Hole/The Bride of Portable Hole. thing is those are delivered as though the editor is himself a fratboy who is just sober enough to organize the material. Makes them very fun

Even Nymphology seems at least to me to present the material in a less Deadpan and serious matter (although its focused almost exclusively on the Erotic and not the comprehensiveness of being a supplement about sex in the Forgotten Realms, although the spell fluff is solid gold)

Quote Originally Posted by Kesnit View Post
    Wait... Because they refuse to do the job you contracted them for, they are charging you more?
    they are asking to throw it away or blackmailing to continue working.
    Last edited by toapat; 2014-04-05 at 09:23 AM.
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    The main issue is that there is a 3rd party (the freight forwarder) involved. The seller at Amazon hasn't done anything wrong.

that's highly illegal, and they are required by US law to return it to the seller if they are unable to complete the service as required.

if they continue to refuse to do anything without further payment I would find out what county/state they are in and make a call to the prosecutor there, as they are engaging in fraud.
    The difference between the possible and the impossible, is the measure of a man's determination.
    -Capt. James Thain

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Thurbane's in Australia, and the shipper (if I understand it) is in Ohio, so phone calls might be expensive.

That said, I really don't understand why the shipper can't simply return it to the third-party seller at cost. They're overcharging Thurbane tremendously for what should be a $3.50 shipping charge.

Might be worth contacting the Better Business Bureau in Ohio. No idea if either of those groups can help, but it seems pretty clear that Thurbane is being taken advantage of. That sort of thing really steams me.

Last edited by Palanan; 2014-04-06 at 12:26 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    That said, I really don't understand why the shipper can't simply return it to the third-party seller at cost. They're overcharging Thurbane tremendously for what should be a $3.50 shipping charge.
    the Amazon seller doesnt live in ohio, but shipped it to ohio anyway., the Freight shipper is holding Thurbane responsible for a double liability they legally cant clear.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

Drow avatar @ myself

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, I got that the third-party seller was different from the shipping warehouse in Ohio. Just not sure why the latter can't send the item back for a more reasonable charge.

For that matter, how did they know the contents of the book in the first place, unless they opened it? Or do they check everything against a master database of potential naughtiness?

I live in the U.S., and I've lost track of the countries I've mailed books to. I've had some frustrating issues and bone-headed mistakes come up--including an international shipment coming to Arlington, Texas rather than Arlington, Virginia--but never had an issue with the item's content before.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Yes, I got that the third-party seller was different from the shipping warehouse in Ohio. Just not sure why the latter can't send the item back for a more reasonable charge.

For that matter, how did they know the contents of the book in the first place, unless they opened it? Or do they check everything against a master database of potential naughtiness?

I live in the U.S., and I've lost track of the countries I've mailed books to. I've had some frustrating issues and bone-headed mistakes come up--including an international shipment coming to Arlington, Texas rather than Arlington, Virginia--but never had an issue with the item's content before.
    the guys in Ohio were repackaging the OP's books when one of the people decided to skim through it, a Manager saw, pulled it asside, and flagged it for illegal transit. THeys guys may have had issues with having been exploited for the Silk Road drug trade, and so they are unwilling to violate customs infractions. the original owner of the book did not ship from Ohio and so they are now blackmailing the OP to either destroy it or pay for a surcharge based on transit of illicit goods.

Drow avatar @ myself

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Aahh, why do you need the BoEF when you have a Grease spell ?
    Because Grease only lasts 1 round/level.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    Because Grease only lasts 1 round/level.
    That's all most PCs need.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Aahh, why do you need the BoEF when you have a Grease spell ?
    Because Grease is only on objects or 10ft squares. Useful for SOME things, not all.
    Adaptation of Child of Acavna and Amaznen into a "Spheres Fighter"
    Thank you Ganorenas

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    An Animated Object is a kind of creature. An animated object is a kind of item. So no, you can't apply a template. Unless you were to use animate objects to animate objects into Animated Objects and somehow apply templates while using animate objects to turn animate objects into Animate Objects for your Animated animated Object collection (or perhaps for a friend to watch anime with).

12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground

There is no law against the shipment of material containing nudity from the United States to Australia. As someone employed by the shipping industry here in the US, I can assure you that all of the regulations for this can be found in the appropriate sections of the IMM (International Mail Manual) here.

The link is direct to the US Post Office restrictions and prohibitions for Australia. When and if you contact your shipper, tell them to look up the rules themselves. They are choosing not to ship the item; they are not being forced to do so. Their choice, their cost, IMO. Hope this gets resolved for you!

Edited to add:
    Censorship really annoys me! This finally prompted me to create an account after years of lurking!
    Last edited by Poldon; 2014-04-05 at 05:12 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Poldon View Post
    Edited to add:
    Censorship really annoys me! This finally prompted me to create an account after years of lurking!
    Welcome to the Playground.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGirl

Wouldn't this actually be theft and not fraud if they have his property and refusing to give it to him unless he pays a ransom?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

buy from ebay instead of amazon, things are... "declared" less often for Australia, where allot of us M rated game sellers, sell our things, for you aussies, and simply tell the shipping, that it is a video game, instead of what game it is.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by cakellene View Post
    Wouldn't this actually be theft and not fraud if they have his property and refusing to give it to him unless he pays a ransom?
    It may be fraud if they are misrepresenting themselves in their contracts and otherwise ignoring terms of business agreements or some such. It may also be theft, but I think that is rather a separate issue.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...

17. - Top - End - #47
    Halfling in the Playground

I must be the black sheep to third party book readers, 'cuz the BOEF is honestly my favorite one out there. Not for the content contained in it directly, but because I have a healthy respect for anyone who's willing to talk about sexual content in an honest, uncensored light without being ashamed of it. The chapters in particular about the bedroom preferences and opinions on pregnancy of the different races have filled a lot of cultural roleplaying fluff that, before reading the book, I just had to sweep under the rug or make stuff up for.

If you ultimately cannot find a way to have the book shipped to Australia but can legally ship it to another address in the USA, I would be happy to pay for the book and its shipping fees through paypal and take it off your hands.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JimboG View Post
    I must be the black sheep to third party book readers, 'cuz the BOEF is honestly my favorite one out there. Not for the content contained in it directly, but because I have a healthy respect for anyone who's willing to talk about sexual content in an honest, uncensored light without being ashamed of it. The chapters in particular about the bedroom preferences and opinions on pregnancy of the different races have filled a lot of cultural roleplaying fluff that, before reading the book, I just had to sweep under the rug or make stuff up for.
    I agree about the chapters on the various races. I've never looked at Halflings or Gnomes the same way again.

If you ultimately cannot find a way to have the book shipped to Australia but can legally ship it to another address in the USA, I would be happy to pay for the book and its shipping fees through paypal and take it off your hands.
    I really wish I could offer the same. But my budget is too tight to afford meat on my pasta right now. You're a good guy to offer.
    Working on a D&D 3.5 campaign setting Bring your freakiest monsters!: Childhood's End: The Forge

Also, Check out and comment on: Beholder Quest!
    Spoiler: People Agreeing With Me
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    I mostly agree with MadGreenSon.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMage125 View Post
    I also must concur with MadGreenSon.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Is this the book where elves take a different kind of "size penalty"? Because I know there's a book where that happens and I endorse that 100%.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zrak View Post
    Is this the book where elves take a different kind of "size penalty"? Because I know there's a book where that happens and I endorse that 100%.
    It's been a while since I've looked at my digital copy, but if I remember correctly the only penalties to "size" simply reflected the actual size of the characters, (you got a cumulative -4 to all sexual acts for each size category apart you were from your partner) but they didn't really add up to much as the book regularly reminded you there was more than one way to finagle another's dangly bits.

On a different note, I REALLY enjoyed the book adding an additional ability score (Beauty or Glamor, I don't remember exactly) that separated Charisma's usual assumption that it reflected both your physical looks and sociability. I feel like that was something that could have used a little separation from the very start and it gave players a good base to work with to make that happen.
    Last edited by JimboG; 2014-04-06 at 04:32 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

On a different note, I REALLY enjoyed the book adding an additional ability score (Beauty or Glamor, I don't remember exactly) that separated Charisma's usual assumption that it reflected both your physical looks and sociability. I feel like that was something that could have used a little separation from the very start and it gave players a good base to work with to make that happen.
    Agreed about Appearance being a useful measure, if not terribly vital. However, some modifiers by race would have been nice, just to help with relative beauty and all that. I usually just kinda wing it on who's prettier than who, usually using human perception as a baseline and consider that each race, especially those further from human, see each other without penalties (or bonuses for that matter).

The spellcaster that used Appearance as their casting stat was just silly though. Sillier than a Muscle Wizard in my opinion.
    Working on a D&D 3.5 campaign setting Bring your freakiest monsters!: Childhood's End: The Forge

Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Thurbane
    Looking at this again, it seems extremely fishy to me. "Dispose of the book" sounds like they'd be free to keep it or resell it themselves.

Originally Posted by Poldon
    The link is direct to the US Post Office restrictions and prohibitions for Australia. When and if you contact your shipper, tell them to look up the rules themselves. They are choosing not to ship the item; they are not being forced to do so.
    Yeah. None of this smells right.

Thurbane, I would really encourage you to contact one of the local chapters of the Better Business Bureau in Ohio. You're dealing with a sketchy situation which is potentially mail fraud, and the BBB may be able to help you.

You might also want to check the fine print on the company's shipping policies, which they should have available on their website or on request from their HQ in Brussels. It's entirely possible the issue involves some yokel in their Ohio branch who either doesn't understand their official policy or who's trying to pull a fast one, banking on the fact that someone in Australia wouldn't be able to suss it out.

You might also see if Belgium has a consumer protection agency of their own. The more angles you work this from, the more likely you'll get a resolution.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Guys, as bad as Thurbane's situation is (and he has my sympathy), we're getting really heavy into territory that we're explicitly not supposed to discuss (to the tune of giving legal advice and advocating crime).

24. - Top - End - #54
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MadGreenSon View Post
    I agree about the chapters on the various races. I've never looked at Halflings or Gnomes the same way again.

I really wish I could offer the same. But my budget is too tight to afford meat on my pasta right now. You're a good guy to offer.
    It's got the best quote I've ever found in it, in the section about unusual monster relationships:
    Love Life of An Ooze: One Ooze. Idiot hits Ooze. Two Oozes.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Exclamation Re: Book of Erotic Fantasy

Quote Originally Posted by NoACWarrior View Post
    Actually a few spells are really cool too.
    BoEF is fine for fluff, but many of its spells are unbalanced. Example overpowered spells (with spell levels for classes that can cast it in parentheses) include:

• Beauty's Caress (3-4): Gain a 5d4 enhancement bonus to CHA. Maximize it for +20 to CHA!
    • Body to Body (6): Easy way to chain all your buffs (even Range: Personal and Target: You spells) on your whole party.
    • Fecund Growth (9): Advance a creature's age category. Turn your Wyrmling familiar into a Great Wyrm!
    • Kiss of Life (5-6): Now Sor/Wiz/Bard can Raise Dead too, and for only 1000 gp.
    • Life Shell (5): Blocks everything except naked bodies and spell attacks, with no save! Nobody can melee you unless they're naked!
    • Phantasmal Lover (3): Daze a target for a round even if they make their save.
    • Privacy (3): Blocks all divination spells targeted toward you! Much cheaper than Mind Blank.
    • Spell Meld (8-9): Cast spells using another creature's spell pool. If you can't break the game with this, you're not trying!

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser1 View Post
    BoEF is fine for fluff, but many of its spells are unbalanced. Example overpowered spells (with spell levels for classes that can cast it in parentheses) include:
    <snip list>
    Yeah... When I went over the book to find useable material, the spells were one of those things I pared down to a very few that are things like detecting pregnancy and... I'll check my list. Ok My list included the spells for detecting pregnancy, analyzing ancestry and the "condom" spell and that's pretty much it.
    I also just banned the feats magic items because they were silly or redundant in the case of some of the items, the creatures and templates are redundant for the most part, but the fluff was useful!

Still. Those gnomes and halflings are freaky.

Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser1 View Post

• Kiss of Life (5-6): Now Sor/Wiz/Bard can Raise Dead too, and for only 1000 gp.
    1. What's wrong with arcane casters being able to bring people back from the dead?

2. Wizards could already do this. There's no limitation (to my knowledge) on researching and creating new spells that wouldn't allow a Wizard to create an arcane spell that does the exact same function as practically any divine spell.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ellindsey View Post
    There are a handful of spells in the BoEF that are useful for worldbuilding purposes. In particular there are spells for contraception, for detecting pregnancy, and assisting with fertility issues. These are unlinely to ever actually be used by the players in most campaigns, but IMHO things which should exist in any world where magic is common and used for daily quality-of-life improvement.
    For what it's worth, Rolemaster has an entire spell list devoted to this.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zrak View Post
    I think you're thinking about FATAL.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanuki Tales View Post
    1. What's wrong with arcane casters being able to bring people back from the dead?
    Because that's one of the precious few things arcane casters weren't able to do.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Because that's one of the precious few things arcane casters weren't able to do.
    Except, as I pointed out, they were always able to do that in 3.X. At least Wizards could through independent spell research.