New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default 3.5 Int-Dex Rogue(ish) advice needed!

So, i'm thinking about a high dex+int build for a rogue-swashbuckler (and stuff).
    It's my first game of 3.5 (i've played pathfinder though).

It goes something like this, swashbuckler 3, rogue 3 (and keep going),
    now that would be simple, but i'm thinking, swap rogue 3 with SA fighter 1, rogue 1.
    at that point i'm thinking of monk 2 to get INT to AC (after feat) and invisibility fist (or however it is called).
    I am also thinking Swordsage at ~ 9 lvl shadow hand ftw!
    (I could stack hit and run fighter too )

The feats would be something like
    Kung Fu Genious, Darkstalker, Gloom Razor, Shadow Blade, Daring Outlaw
    No idea about the order i should take them.

So at this point i get: DEX to attack, INT to damage, DEX to damage, (possible DEX to damage again too) and tons of SA (4d6 with rogue 1 ), INT to AC (as well as DEX).

I could even go for Duelist at this point.

(non SA) Fighter 2 could be taken for the feats.

Q1: Is this whole thing a good idea?
    Q2: Is monk's INT to AC worth it or is light armor better?
    Q3: (How) Should i handle swordsage?
    Q4: How about Factotum 3?
    Any other suggestions?

PS1. First post, so i'll be editing to make it look better!
    PS2. I'm almost always dipping monk (about 10 levels usually thus the name).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5 Int-Dex Rogue(ish) advice needed!

A1- Daring Outlaw is a solid build (although one usually goes for a predominantly-Swashbuckler distribution)
    A2- Unless you can really pump Int (and you probably can't), Int to AC is probably not worth it. But 2 levels for Invisible Fist and a bonus feat (check out the UA monk fighting styles for more choices) isn't bad.
    A3- Figure out what maneuvers you really want, and what the earliest level you could nab them with a 1-level dip would be. Don't be afraid to break up multiple dips if you need it.
    A4- Factotum 3 is an amazing dip for a high-Int martial. I don't know if I'd do both it and monk, though-- you're starting to lose a lot of sneak attack that way, although Craven does continue to build. Maybe pick one or the other. (And if you do, I'd go with Factotum. You can replicate Invisible Fist with the right maneuver/stances, if I recall correctly)
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

You could avoid the monk dip by buying a monk's belt. Couple that with a vest/robes of the archmagi and you should be fine AC wise.
    And to echo, I'd recommend going the Factotum, occasionally dipping Swordsage route. The only feats you'd need would be Kung Fu Genius/Carmendtine Monk and Font of Inspiration.

That'd give you 2*INT to AC, INT to Attack, INT to Damage, INT to Initiative, a host of useful SLAs, and quite a bit of SA dice.
    Last edited by Doc_Maynot; 2014-04-03 at 11:44 AM.
    Adaptation of Child of Acavna and Amaznen into a "Spheres Fighter"
    Thank you Ganorenas

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    An Animated Object is a kind of creature. An animated object is a kind of item. So no, you can't apply a template. Unless you were to use animate objects to animate objects into Animated Objects and somehow apply templates while using animate objects to turn animate objects into Animate Objects for your Animated animated Object collection (or perhaps for a friend to watch anime with).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Maynot View Post
    And to echo, I'd recommend going the Factotum, occasionally dipping Swordsage route. The only feats you'd need would be Kung Fu Genius/Carmendtine Monk and Font of Inspiration.

That'd give you 2*INT to AC, INT to Attack, INT to Damage, INT to Initiative, a host of useful SLAs, and quite a bit of SA dice.
    That's closer to another build i had in mind, monk 2 (Invisibility Fist or how-is-it-called) factotum x, going for hide and iaijutsu focus once per three rounds.

So progression a (with factotum)
    1Swashbuckler
    4Factotum
    7Rogue
    8*
    9Swordsage (for assassins stance)
    10Rogue

*if i take SA fighter on 8, i can take daring outlaw on lvl 9, gaining 4d6 SA at once (2d6 from s/b and 2d6 from assassin's stance)

and progression b
    1Swashbuckler
    4Rogue
    with perhaps an earlier swordsage

5. - Top - End - #5

I would recommend Keen Intellect as a first level only feat, to turn Wisdom into a possible dump stat.
    It allows you to use your Int Mod instead of your Wis Mod for Will saves, as well as Heal, Sense Motive, Spot and Survival checks.

For race... I would consider the Lesser Tiefling.

And if you are combining factotum and rogue, pick up the poison use ACF in exchange for the rogue's trapfinding, since factotum already has it.
    Last edited by Andion Isurand; 2014-04-03 at 01:40 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

A thought that might or might not work for you/with your group.

Build an affiliation to be a part of via the rules in PHB 2. Make two of the membership benefits be Int to Fort Saves in place of con (Call it mind over matter or something.) and Int to Concentration checks in place of Con. Then, either take the feat Faerie Mysteries Initiate, or make it a feat you pick up normally.

Between this, keen Intellect, and Factotum 3, and the rest of the suggestions you've seen, you can now dump your Str, Con and Wis scores pretty much completely cause Int Governs them all together. Then pick up Grey Elf form the MM, possibly using the Fire Elf Variant on it for +2 to Dex and +4 to int for the cost of -2 to Con, a stat your able to safely dump cause any number above 0 means your in business (heck, for added mileage here, take Necropolitan Template.), and a -2 to Cha which, yeah, you can dump. Though for RP reasons you may want to max Int and Dex and then after that make Cha and/or Wis something to think about with left over not horrible rolls/point buy points.
    "I Burn!"

7. - Top - End - #7

Of all the X stat to Y bonus feats and features, I find the Faerie Mysteries Initiate one of the most unpalatable... but that's just me.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

It varies. Honestly, if the Archivest, Wizard, Erudite, Psion and Artificer didn't intrinsically get so much more mileage out of it then other int using classes like the Warblade, Swashbuckler, Carmadine/Kung Fu Genius Monk and Factotum, I doubt it would get the bad rap it get's. And since he's building martial/skill use character and not a dedicated full caster, I don't feel bad suggesting it. Heck, the only reason the affiliation also mentions an Int Bonus to Concentration in my suggestion was so that Diamond Mind doesn't get shafted this way when he takes swordsage levels.
    "I Burn!"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Another Monk View Post
    That's closer to another build i had in mind, monk 2 (Invisibility Fist or how-is-it-called) factotum x, going for hide and iaijutsu focus once per three rounds.
    Doesn't work. Iiajutsu Focus only works on foes who are specifically flat-footed, not just denied their Dex bonus to AC.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Doesn't work. Iiajutsu Focus only works on foes who are specifically flat-footed, not just denied their Dex bonus to AC.
    Invisibility gives you +20 to hide and total concealment, so you CAN get them flat footed :P

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Another Monk View Post
    Invisibility gives you +20 to hide and total concealment, so you CAN get them flat footed :P
    If you can swing a Template look at Dark Creature from ToM. Gives you HiPS as long as you're not in bright light. Grab something that keeps you in shadows or darkness and you can Hide and Iaijutsu Focus all day long with a good enough modifier. Swordsage has a stance that drops shadows and concealment around you while moving, discuss this with your DM as it states you cant use it to HiPS but I've argued that you only use it to get out of bright light and use Dark Creatures HiPS while shadowed... You'll also have massive Hide with the template, race and Cunning Insight. This is obviously optimized with Whisper Gnome.

Factotum is just great for Int based builds. Push it to lvl 8 ASAP and grab 2 or 3 Font of Inspiration, you won't regret it.

Item Familiar feat can help boost your Iaijutsu Focus up so you're rolling 9d6 on each attack. Again, ask your DM because it can be frowned upon.

GL
    Blood~
    Last edited by Bloodgruve; 2014-04-04 at 08:55 AM.