New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering XIX: Heroic- Bump this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    Holy cow, has anyone seen Iroas, God of Victory? It was the Reddit spoiler card.

2WR

Devotion 7 to be a creature, Indestructible.

Creatures you control can only be blocked by 2 or more creatures.

Prevent all damage to attacking creatures you control.

7/4
    I don't know if it's actually playable though, if you can turn it on its very effective, but it only lets you get through blockers without fear and how often are creature decks worried about getting blocked against Esper?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Istari View Post
    I don't know if it's actually playable though, if you can turn it on its very effective, but it only lets you get through blockers without fear and how often are creature decks worried about getting blocked against Esper?
    True, but he allows creature decks to win against their mirrors and 4 is a perfect cost for a top-CMC card in an aggro deck. I think he'll see Standard play.
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Red aggro decks will love this card to pieces. White weenie will love this card to pieces (assuming of course that both have splash ability). Boros, possibly less so, because Boros Reckoner's a nonbo with it.

However, it means that any offensive a Boros deck can mount will be completely unblockable, so no deathtouch for you. Any such offensive will quickly grow past an opponent's ability to deal with it, esp. with supplementary legends such as Tajic or Anax. And once it hits 7 RW devotion, that's an extra 7 indestructible damage.

Not to mention of course that each god counts toward its own devotion, so that's 2 plus however many creatures you have on the field at the moment. Heck, assuming one on-color creature every turn and no interference, that's 5+ devotion by the time Iroas resolves. (turn one: 1-drop, 1 devotion. turn two: 2-drop, 2 or 3 devotion, turn 3: 3-drop, 3-6 devotion, turn 4: Iroas, 5-8 devotion)

And I'll admit a lack of familiarity here: does Esper win fast enough, or lock down the board fast enough, that Iroas turning on isn't a problem for them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

4. - Top - End - #34

Me, I'm excited for Enchantress. :D
    3DS Friend Code: 3067-5674-0852. Currently running: Emerald.

Latias, Groudon, Rayquaza, Kyogre promised to JustPlayItLoud for a shiny Gastly, Gulpin, Frogadier, and Dedenne. Regirock, Regice, Registeel up for grabs.

Spoiler: Living Shinydex Progress 31/718 Newest Shiny: Buneary
    Show
    Gen I: 9/151
    Gen II: 6/100
    Gen III: 7/135
    Gen IV: 3/107
    Gen V: 3/156
    Gen VI: 2/69

Come visit World's Finest Gaming on Tumblr or Facebook or even our Youtube channel and watch me stream!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    Mmm, new thread smell. Although i did like sith's name better this is also good.
    Actually, if I'm counting "Sacrifice a paycheck..." for my streak for having mutated from one of mine, so did this one.

DOUBLE TURKEY ACHIEVED.

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Don't worry about it, it was more a miscommunication than anything else. Keep building what you want, just try to give your lists more accurate names from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    Holy cow, has anyone seen Iroas, God of Victory? It was the Reddit spoiler card.

2WR

Devotion 7 to be a creature, Indestructible.

Creatures you control can only be blocked by 2 or more creatures.

Prevent all damage to attacking creatures you control.

7/4
    It's funny, the rest of y'all are talking about Standard, but the first thing I think when I see this guy is "Best. Boros commander. Ever."
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chaotic stupid View Post
    wait, are you getting all your cards signed by the people who did their art?
    that's awesome
    Yep. Have Dark Confidants signed by Scott M. Fischer, Each of the Sword of ____ and ____ signed by Chris Rahn, and my Deathrite Shamans and Liliana of the Veils signed by Steve Argyle. Mike Bierek is going to sign my Breeding pools and Stoneforge Mystics (Shush, they aren't Modern legal, but it's still a Modern card) and Izzy is going to sign my Marsh Flats.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    It's funny, the rest of y'all are talking about Standard, but the first thing I think when I see this guy is "Best. Boros commander. Ever."
    RTR Boros immediately jumped to mind for me as well. If Tajic ever saw what Iroas could do for him, he'd probably sprout a very large and very confusing hard-on.
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Loreweaver15 View Post
    They are generally considered the best equipment in the game not named Umezawa's Jitte or Batterskull.
    Or Skullclamp, though that's less an equipment and more of an engine.
    ithilanor on Steam.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    RTR Boros immediately jumped to mind for me as well. If Tajic ever saw what Iroas could do for him, he'd probably sprout a very large and very confusing hard-on.
    I meant "commander" as in the creature your EDH deck is built around.
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

What Iroas can do for Trajic: Let other dudes swing in freely so he gets +5/+5. not that amazing to me. Now Iroas and Aurelia, that really takes advantage of the safe attack.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

What do people think of Constellation?
    Also, there is that weaker Urabrask.
    And that one card that might go in one of my decks. Hall of Triumph. I don't think it is worth it in tribal, because there are better cards for that. EX: Elves have Archdruid, Vampires have captivating vampires, etc.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    I meant "commander" as in the creature your EDH deck is built around.
    Yeah, that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    What Iroas can do for Trajic: Let other dudes swing in freely so he gets +5/+5. not that amazing to me. Now Iroas and Aurelia, that really takes advantage of the safe attack.
    Tajic's Battalion ability makes all attacking creatures indestructible. No Doom Blade for You!

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    What do people think of Constellation?
    I, for one am EXCITED AS HELL about enchantress :D
    3DS Friend Code: 3067-5674-0852. Currently running: Emerald.

Latias, Groudon, Rayquaza, Kyogre promised to JustPlayItLoud for a shiny Gastly, Gulpin, Frogadier, and Dedenne. Regirock, Regice, Registeel up for grabs.

Spoiler: Living Shinydex Progress 31/718 Newest Shiny: Buneary
    Show
    Gen I: 9/151
    Gen II: 6/100
    Gen III: 7/135
    Gen IV: 3/107
    Gen V: 3/156
    Gen VI: 2/69

Come visit World's Finest Gaming on Tumblr or Facebook or even our Youtube channel and watch me stream!

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Loreweaver15 View Post
    I, for one am EXCITED AS HELL about enchantress :D
    As soon as this set is out, I will start working on a tribal enchantment deck. It might even work!
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Tajic's Battalion ability makes all attacking creatures indestructible. No Doom Blade for You!
    No it doesn't, all it does is give him +5/+5. If it did make your things indestructible it would be kinda pointless to use with Iroas Trajic is just kinda tragic.
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2014-04-07 at 06:18 PM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

16. - Top - End - #46

Red aggro decks will love this card to pieces. White weenie will love this card to pieces (assuming of course that both have splash ability). Boros, possibly less so, because Boros Reckoner's a nonbo with it.

However, it means that any offensive a Boros deck can mount will be completely unblockable, so no deathtouch for you. Any such offensive will quickly grow past an opponent's ability to deal with it, esp. with supplementary legends such as Tajic or Anax. And once it hits 7 RW devotion, that's an extra 7 indestructible damage.

Not to mention of course that each god counts toward its own devotion, so that's 2 plus however many creatures you have on the field at the moment. Heck, assuming one on-color creature every turn and no interference, that's 5+ devotion by the time Iroas resolves. (turn one: 1-drop, 1 devotion. turn two: 2-drop, 2 or 3 devotion, turn 3: 3-drop, 3-6 devotion, turn 4: Iroas, 5-8 devotion)

And I'll admit a lack of familiarity here: does Esper win fast enough, or lock down the board fast enough, that Iroas turning on isn't a problem for them?
    Esper is almost completely removal spells, so at least one of those creatures is dying to something, and the a board wipe on turn 4 is fairly common. After that aggro has a hard time recovering. Esper is also problematic since the only creatures it has are Elspeth tokens. Iroas is good enough for some of the other matchups that it will probably see play, especially vs Desecration Demon and Nightveil Specter in Mono-Black, and the small creatures in Mono-Blue.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    No it doesn't, all it does is give him +5/+5. If it did make your things indestructible it would be kinda pointless to use with Iroas Trajic is just kinda tragic.
    Hrm. Dang, checked it myself. I could've sworn Tajic gave everything in the battalion indestructible. Oh wait, that's Frontline Medic. derp.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

would a blue-black mill discard deck, using cards mostly from the scars of mirrodin, be viable in modern?

using cards like; jin-gitaxias core augur, sangromancer, despise, mindcrank, painful quandry, etc
    elemental avatar by kaariane

extended signature

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

would a blue-black mill discard deck, using cards mostly from the scars of mirrodin, be viable in modern?

using cards like; jin-gitaxias core augur, sangromancer, despise, mindcrank, painful quandry, etc
    No, it would not.

First of all, the first two mentioned creatures die incredibly easy to every form of removal in Modern.

Second, despise isn't nearly good enough in modern. Neither is painful Quandary.

Mindcrank is part of a kill mill combo, but it doesn't use the above cards. It focuses on Mindcrank, Bloodchief ascension, and Dimir Guildmage last I checked.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

In general, Mill only works if it's the win-condition for a combo deck. "Normal" mill decks work like a Burn deck, except that your opponent starts at 53 life instead of 20.
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

...And Keranos is at least as good as I'd hoped he'd be. About the only way he'd be better would be if he copied spells.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

I am thinking of building draw-go with keranos, sigiled starfish, the blue howling mine enchantment and x where x is 48 other cards that assist me in winning the game...
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

I'm like unreasonably super-excited about Dictate of Kruphix. Fits perfectly into the Extra Turns-Combo deck (I call it Turbo Emrakul) I'm playing in Modern atm as an alternative to Howling Mine. One extra mana isn't nice, but having the first extra draw instead of your opponent, Flash and it being an Enchantment insteand of an Artifact (and due to Affinity Artifact hate is abound in Modern SBs and some MDs) does make a biiiiig difference. Remanding something 2nd turn, flashing this bad boy in EOT of the opponents 3rd turn, then counter/tap and draw a card 4th turn to go into combo at 5th turn is suddenly much more realistic.

Here's a decklist, for those interested. I'll probably try a 3/2 split of Mine/Dictate.

(Coincidently, it's also a Modern mill deck. Or it can be, just don't hardcast Emrakul)
    Playing Magic? Interested in trading? Try Pucatrade!

Trading cards for pucapoints, which you can use to have people send you cards. Just shoot me a message if you got questions.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

godsend looks like a rather nice equipment, does anyone think it'll see much play in standard?

extended signature

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

godsend looks like a rather nice equipment, does anyone think it'll see much play in standard?
    If I ever play Standard, I'm picking me up some of those because DAYUM.

It's actually really good. While not quite on-part with the Mirrodin swords in a lot of ways, it's close enough that I can see it being used in place of them in certain decks, depending on the swords in question, and it's pretty damn nuts on any creature with vigilance, especially one you can protect from removal.

It isn't quite as nice against decks that don't care about their creatures, like U/W or Esper control, but it's still a very good equipment.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Godsend is pretty much a textbook example of what great equipment looks like.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

considering that the r/w god wants multiple blockers to one creature? the value on this thing is INSANE for a deck that would likely curve to 4 and play almost exclusively dudes. heck 3 of this, 3 iroas, and 4 madcap skills make for bad times all the time for opponents.
    Last edited by Fjolnir; 2014-04-08 at 02:04 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

what does everyone think of the strive mechanic so far? i mean, there's only one card at the moment, but it has potential

extended signature

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Seems a lot like replicate, but cannot be repeatedly used on the same target. It also looks like it costs more compared to the initial mana cost.

As an aside, does anyone know when TCG forums are supposed to come back up? I have not been able to sign in for a long, long time.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

what does everyone think of the strive mechanic so far? i mean, there's only one card at the moment, but it has potential
    Depends entirely on what cards it's on and how much it costs on them. Remember, Cipher had potential too.