New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Dagger VS Punch Dagger

Does anyone have a Prefrence for the Punch Dagger over the Dagger? Anyone ever made a build they enjoyed quite a bit with a character with a Punch Dagger?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Dagger VS Punch Dagger

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson01 View Post
    Does anyone have a Prefrence for the Punch Dagger over the Dagger? Anyone ever made a build they enjoyed quite a bit with a character with a Punch Dagger?
    Punch dagger looks a lot cooler. Rules-wise, the dagger is just plain better - it can be thrown and if you can get a kaorti resin dagger, it does x4 critical damage. Also, there are lots of specific daggers and it's a very common weapon, so choosing it for weapon specific feats is better (evne though weapon specific feats are nothing to write home about).
    I'm a fan of katars ever since I played FFVIII, but the dagger is cleraly superior.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Not to mention it can do slashing or piercing damage, in case you have to go up against Zombies.
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

All that said, as a DM, I'd personally allow for a punching dagger to count for unarmed feats, just as a cestus would. Since you're still fighting using an unarmed style, a katar essentially gives piercing damage to your strikes, adding to the force from your fists. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to punch something better without a dagger at the critical point, either.
    Avatar done by gurgleflep(<3). Ye Gallery Of Olde Avatars

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

It's slightly better for coup de graces but slightly worse overall. Mostly it doesn't make much difference one way or the other.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2014-04-07 at 09:13 AM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Except (as already managed) for the extra damage on a guaranteed crit against piercing-sensitive targets, it seems to be strictly inferior.
    Thought for a moment it might be easier to conceal, but that goes for all daggers, so no advantage there either!

7. - Top - End - #7

Maybe it's because I'm a little OCD, but I prefer punch daggers when I'm being grappled, and daggers in non-grapple combat.
    Quote Originally Posted by (Un)Inspired View Post
    Contingency is like playing chess but you get to make several moves on your turn, several on you opponents turn and you're allowed to rearrange the board when he gets up to go to the bathroom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Spite™! Obey your thirst...for VENGEANCE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    I'm not saying that nobody should play the marathon runner. I'm saying we should at least give him rollerblades.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Theprettiestorc View Post
    All that said, as a DM, I'd personally allow for a punching dagger to count for unarmed feats, just as a cestus would. Since you're still fighting using an unarmed style, a katar essentially gives piercing damage to your strikes, adding to the force from your fists. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to punch something better without a dagger at the critical point, either.
    I wouldn't. Unarmed combat is not just punching, it's punching, kicking, grappling, elbowing and all that stuff. If you restrict yourself to the kind of punching attacks you can do with a katar, you're not fighting unarmed anymore - you're wielding a katar.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shinken View Post
    I wouldn't. Unarmed combat is not just punching, it's punching, kicking, grappling, elbowing and all that stuff. If you restrict yourself to the kind of punching attacks you can do with a katar, you're not fighting unarmed anymore - you're wielding a katar.
    That said, rules specifically state that unless you're a monk, you're hitting things with your hands. Most citizenry wouldn't use more than their fists anyway, because it's hard to coordinate other things.
    Avatar done by gurgleflep(<3). Ye Gallery Of Olde Avatars

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Basically, katars are cooler, but there's next to no mechanical reason to actually pick them over daggers.

Which is why it's best to refluff your little heart out.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

11. - Top - End - #11

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shinken View Post
    Please let melee have nice things?