New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default A Troubled Peace

Part One: Norefast

It has been some weeks now since the kidnapping and murder of the young prince, Adrian Thannil. The kingdom of Realta has been abuzz with activity - knights riding to and fro relaying orders and information, bounty hunters and sellswords combing city streets and country roads for even the tiniest scraps that could lead them to a payday, frightened citizens fleeing their homes for the safety of the great walled cities dotting the countryside.

The nation has not experienced such feverish activity since the great war nearly a century past. Men and women have come from far and wide - some journeying from neighboring kingdoms, others from mysterious lands far across the eastern sea - seeking fame and fortune, glory and honor. Or for some, the pursuit of justice or simple revenge.

You are one such individual. You have scoured the kingdom for many days and nights, seeking information that might lead you to the prince's murderer. Why you do it matters not, merely that you have devoted yourself wholly to your cause.

It is this devotion that seems to have attracted special attention to you. Upon waking three mornings hence, you found a note lying beside you. It was written in a ragged script, stating merely an address in the small village of Norefast - along the road to the Realtan borderlands - and the promise that there you would meet someone who could help you.

With no leads, even after several weeks of searching, you decide to journey to Norefast and see what awaits you there.

Upon arrival at the address from the note, you find it to be a seemingly abandoned house, tucked away on a back street. Sensing no danger, you enter. You find yourself in a medium-sized room, sparsely furnished, and with a fire burning in the hearth. Several other individuals are already there. They seem as puzzled as you are, as if wondering what they are doing there.

Perhaps one of these strangers might know something.
    Last edited by Ardurious; 2014-04-12 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Writer's OCD
    Quote Originally Posted by Tohek View Post
    Moral Gray Area + Wizard We Can't Beat = Let's Follow Him

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: A Troubled Peace

Nali looked at the other individuals. They didn't look like they were about to kill her, so she felt fine. She then introduced herself. "Good day to you all. I am Nali of the clan Peacewarrior. Pleasure to meet you all." she says.
    Last edited by MichaelGoldclaw; 2014-04-12 at 11:59 PM.
    "Do all the good you can, in all the ways you can, to all the souls you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, with all the zeal you can, as so long as you ever can" -John Wesley
    Deviant Art account
    Fairy Tail OC avatar by: your truly

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

"Likewise, though I wish it could be under better circumstance.Name's Telesha."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Joaquins eyes widened with shock as he spotted the obviously freeborn Dragonborn.
    After some (awkward) seconds he regained his composure and said:
    "Greetings friends !
    I am Joaquin the Red,the famous Poet and Warrior.
    "

5. - Top - End - #5

Chimera

The robed figure of Folly rasps out "I don't suppose you know what's going on here? I mistrust a gathering where the hosts intentions are unclear." After a brief pause, he continues "Others have taken to calling me Folly."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

"Shouldn't that make them more trustworthy? If they don't tell you anything, they don't have a reason to kill you. So if they want to remain cloak-and-dagger, it clearly means they intend to let you live."

7. - Top - End - #7

The discussion is interrupted as the front door swings open once more, this time admitting a human dressed in a worn leather chest piece and leggings. A tattered cloak hangs from his neck.

He is of average build, though somewhat slim, with a plain face and short-cut blonde hair. He wears a tired look on his face as he surveys those gathered in the room before him.

"So, which one of you's the cheeky bastard what left me that note?" he strides forward into the firelight as he speaks, crossing to an unoccupied chair on the other side of the room, "and how's it you can help me?"

He leans back in the old wooden chair and crosses his arms, his eyes passing over each of you. His foot taps impatiently on the wooden floor.

Skill Checks:
    Spoiler: Perception DC 14 (Everyone except Valuar)
    Show
    In the dim light of the fire you can just barely make out several dark stains on the man's leather armor, though you can't quite tell what they may be.

Spoiler: Perception DC 18 (Again, excluding Valuar)
    Show
    Upon closer inspection, the stains appear to be dried blood.

Spoiler: Valuar (Darkvision)
    Show
    As the man passes in front of you, you notice several dark stains on his armor. You recognize them immediately as dried blood. They still appear reddish-brown in the firelight, signifying that they can't be more than a few days old.
    Last edited by Ardurious; 2014-04-13 at 01:17 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

(1d20)[17] perception

Nali waits till the one who sent the note responds before she does..
    Last edited by MichaelGoldclaw; 2014-04-13 at 01:13 PM.
    "Do all the good you can, in all the ways you can, to all the souls you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, with all the zeal you can, as so long as you ever can" -John Wesley
    Deviant Art account

9. - Top - End - #9

BardGuy

Joaquin eyes the rude stranger cautiously and likewise remains silent
    4 perception
    19 insight
    Last edited by Feo; 2014-04-13 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Dice-How do they work

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

"I think all of us are wondering the same of each other."

Spoiler: My perception roll.
    Show
    (1d20+9)[24]

11. - Top - End - #11

Kobold

Valuar was not uncertain this wasn't a trap, so he had remained in the shadows. He crept up on the latest arrival. stepping out of the shadows behind him. "Your armor is blood-stained. Perhaps you'd like to tell us the tale behind that first."

"If someone has followed you here then you may have put us all in peril."

When Valuar emerges from the shadows, his entire form is covered in dark clothing that helps him blend in the lack of light.

Spoiler: Stealth
    Show
    (1d20+14)[29]

12. - Top - End - #12

The man turns to look at the drow. He shows little in the way of surprise at the shrouded individual's entry into the firelight.

"My, my, a man after my own heart," a grin plays across the man's lips, "I wasn't followed. I made sure of that. As for my armor, the blood belongs to a band of goblins that attacked me on the road some days past," he continues to meet the drow's stare.

Spoiler: Insight DC 15
    Show
    He seems to be telling the truth. You remember hearing talk of goblins and other creatures prowling the less-traveled roads near the edge of the borderlands.

After a moment more, he turns to those gathered in front of him. "I assume from your silence that none of you left that note for me, yes?" he traces a finger across his jawline, "Which means . . . you're all here because you received one as well." He crosses one of his legs over top of the other and shakes his head.

"It seems that someone believes we might be of some use to one another," he smiles again, the fire playing deep shadows across his thin face.
    Last edited by Ardurious; 2014-04-13 at 02:09 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

BardGuy

Spoiler: Wrongly timed old stuff
    Show

"I trust neither Blondie nor the drow"
    He nocks back an arrow:
    "Who are you two?Drow why where you creeping around in the dark?Blondie whats that with your armor?
    He eyes the stranger again this time looking for blood.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show

(1d20)[1]
    My Perception is +2 but I might get circumstance bonus? Or no new roll at all... .

"Or someone simply tries to kill us all at once.Also I didn`t get your name.Or the drows. "
    He draws his bow but doesn`t aim for the pair.
    Last edited by Feo; 2014-04-13 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Too late is too late

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Reaction to that poorly timed old stuff
    Show
    "]Now, now, no reason to get aggressive now. We were all summoned here to either help each other, or for some third party to help all of us. Killing each other would be counterproductive."

Except they obviously were near us when they slept, so if they wanted us dead, a throat-slitting would have sufficed.
    Last edited by Necroticplague; 2014-04-13 at 02:21 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

BardGuy

"There are ways to deliver messages without being present; also a guy with a piece of paper in his hand might survive me waking up on him, a guy with a dagger will not.
    But for now I am inclined to have a modicum of trust in you people.
    "
    Last edited by Feo; 2014-04-13 at 02:29 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Kobold

"Put your weapons away," the drow rebukes the man with the bow. "Did you not bother to notice my blades were still sheathed. Had I desired any of you dead, then you already would be."

"As you have deduced, we were all summoned by a similar message. I am guessing that we have all been searching for the prince's assassin but our efforts have been for naught. Then again, if someone means to bring us together to be rid of us, then perhaps one of us is getting close after all. What have you uncovered?"

17. - Top - End - #17

Chimera

"Precious little so far. The trail had already grown cold when my keepers sent on the chase. There might be a whiff of something around the palace, but getting in there hasn't proven easy, especially with the added commotion."
    Last edited by Shimeran; 2014-04-13 at 03:23 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Lightbulb Re: A Troubled Peace

"Sadly, likewise. Most of what I've got ran the range of 'sourceless rumors' all the way up to 'unfounded speculation'. So if they want to kill people that know too much, they sent me a wrong invite."

19. - Top - End - #19

BardGuy

"Me neither-but I am starting to notice a pattern."
    Last edited by Feo; 2014-04-13 at 05:00 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

"You lot are doing a wonderful job, it seems," the seated man doesn't even attempt to keep the amusement from his voice, "The king's lucky to have you on the job."

He casts a cautious glance over his shoulder at the drow, then clears his throat. "Fortunately for you, I happen to have a bit of a lead on the 'assassin' that you so valiantly seek," he sets his elbows on the arms of the chair and intertwines his fingers, "I personally have no desire to act on it. I make far more money without having to involve myself with the king and his lackeys. But perhaps it could be of some help to you lot."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

"Interesting. Tell me more."
    Deviant Art account

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

"So, are you going to bother to grace us with it, or do you you want to bask in your own smugness for a little bit?"

23. - Top - End - #23

"Don't get me wrong, you seem like a nice group of folks," the man casts a pointed glance at the bow in Jaoquin's hands, "but I can't just give information this vital away for free. That's very bad business."

24. - Top - End - #24

BardGuy

"So you don`t involve yourself with the kings men but following anonymous notes is good business in your book? "
    Spoiler: Insight
    Show
    (1d20+6)[7]

"And while you do seem like a really nice guy I can`t just buy Information from somebody who may or may not have conntacted all of us by anonymous note - itīs bad business "

He plays with his bow for a few seconds...

"How about you just tell us what you know- as a sign of good will- and I promise here and now that you will get your share.IF your information is worth anything that is... "

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    (1d20+11)[19]
    Last edited by Feo; 2014-04-13 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Spelling

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

"By your own admittance, you weren't using the information, so it has no value to you. It also does not cost you anything to give it to us, and you don't lose it in the process of doing so. And if you did tell us and it leads to anything, then you would be rewarded for your lead later. Logically, it would be in your best interest to tell us. Unless you suspect us of being assassins looking to tie up loose ends."

26. - Top - End - #26

"Perhaps I have been a little too vague for you. Allow me to clear a few things up," the man raises an eyebrow, "Whatever reward you may receive from the nobility is of no use to me. Money is simple enough to acquire, and fame is something I would rather do without. People in positions of power knowing who I am would . . . put quite a damper on my business, if you understand my meaning."

"As for my coming to this wonderful little get-together, the timing of that note seemed a little too spot-on. I am, as it turns out, in need of help at the moment," he looks at Telesha, then Jaoquin, "Perhaps I'd be willing to divulge what I know in exchange for a small favor. A trifle of a thing for a group such as yourselves, no doubt."

27. - Top - End - #27

BardGuy

"As a wise woman once said:

Are you going to bother to grace us with it,
    or do you you want to bask in your own smugness for a little bit?
    "

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

"If you need help, just ask and I will see if I can get it done."
    Deviant Art account

29. - Top - End - #29

"That's the spirit," the man gives a hearty laugh, "As I said earlier, I was beset by goblins on the road a day before receiving the note. It wounds my pride to admit it, but they got the better of me. I killed several, but they overwhelmed me. I woke up some time later with all of my possessions short of what I now wear pilfered from me."

He shakes his head, "I thank Saum I survived, though I believe Shaela had more to do with it than he. Of course, she was missing as well by the time I came to. But, I ramble. You need not know why I require your help, only what I require help with. The goblins took from me that which I was transporting. Something of great value. Something that . . . must be recovered rather quickly."
    Last edited by Ardurious; 2014-04-13 at 09:22 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

BardGuy

Joaquin motions the man to continue but he seems somewhat distracted.

Spoiler: Questions and Checks
    Show

Do Goblins usually attack travellers or hunt for special things ?
    And would their victims survive with only one special thing stolen?
    Are Goblins involved/suspected in the case of the missing prince?

(1d20+4)[11] Nature
    (1d20+10)[29] History
    (1d20+13)[26] Streetwise

What is Shaela?

(1d20)[14] No Idea what skill this one could be