New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Trans-Atlantic Carrion Crown (IC)

"There is something undead past these doors, and they are cold," Kristoph announces to the rest of the party after his search. "Caution suggests that we explore the other paths, though my zeal inspires me to enter the auditorium first. We should be prepared with the haunt siphons - if we have any more - and other defenses against a haunt if we do, though. Any other opinions?"

2. - Top - End - #962
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

As she scrapes the residual goo off of her skirts, Aurora looks around at her companion's injuries. "Mister Gundwolf, you're hurt! Allow me?" She somewhat anxiously waits for his approval before going to his side and mending the worst wounds with another hex. "Is anyone else injured?"
    Spoiler: Healing
    Show
    Healing Hex on Gundwolf for (1d8+2)[9]HP

At Kristoph's inquiry, she rummages around in her pack a moment. "Four. We have four siphons left." She tucks one into her belt for easier access and takes hold of another. "I agree we must press on, and the auditorium seems as good a place as any."
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2015-01-15 at 11:26 AM.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

3. - Top - End - #963
    Titan in the Playground

Elian steps up behind Kristoph, searching for magical impressions as Kristoph searches for undead.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Barbarian in the Playground

Elian sees no additional magical emanations, save for the magical floating torches he created and the magic items the party carries currently.
    Carrion Crown: Dice | IC-2 | Doc
    Ruins of Azlant: OOC | IC | Doc
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

5. - Top - End - #965
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As the combat ends, Gundwolf's particularly heavy breathing stands out amongst the comparative quiet. Muttering unintelligible epithets between sharp intakes of breath and explosive exhaling, he methodically finds and stomps each remaining globule of ooze, stopping only to aim a vicious kick at what remains of the body of the semi-humanoid monstrosity in the room.

After seeming to catch his breath, he retrieves his heavy flail from where it landed on the floor. Spitting the last of the disgusting ooze from his mouth, he hefts the flail appreciatively.

Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
    "Mister Gundwolf, you're hurt! Allow me?" She somewhat anxiously waits for his approval before going to his side and mending the worst wounds with another hex.
    Gundwolf's eyes narrow for a moment, but he gives a curt nod, continuing to eye the glowing hands being laid upon his arm with some trepidation. As he notes the closure of his wounds with some relief, he gives a hesitant smile to the young woman, nodding his appreciation.

After helping Kristoph with the front door, Gundwolf follows the paladin with his flail at the ready while he examines the closed doors.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

6. - Top - End - #966

NecromancerGuy

As he finishes scanning past the door to the auditorium Kristoph turns and looks back at the party, his eyes still shining silver. As his gaze passes Elian he starts, leaping back and drawing his weapon back as if to strike at something in his companion's direction. "Gah! What is that?" he cries out in surprise!

7. - Top - End - #967

Elian's eyes grow wide for a moment as Kristoph wheels around...then he grunts in pain and collapses to the floor. Thick spectral chains appear out of nowhere and wrap around his neck and torso. Each of the chains have various holy symbols etched into them, and they begin to squeeze and tighten and simultaneously pull downwards, crushing him and pinning him to the floor!

Begin "Round" 1!

Spoiler: All players EXCEPT Elian
    Show

No initiative necessary. Just indicate what you do. Once everyone has posted, it will start the "next round". The chains "act" at the beginning of the round.

Spoiler: Elian
    Show

Your actions will be covered elsewhere.
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

8. - Top - End - #968
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Round 1

Eyes going flat, Gundwolf drops into a defensive crouch, flail at the ready... seeing nothing else, he makes a cautious swing of his flail toward one of the chains where it seems to connect to the floor...

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Uh... Attack a piece of chain as far from Elian as is possible, hoping to sever it and free Elian?

Attack: (1d20+6)[10]
    CC: (1d20+6)[8]
    Damage: (1d10+6)[7]

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Gundwolf
    M Chaotic Neutral Half-Orc Barbarian, Level 2, Init +1, HP 23/23, DR 0, Speed 40
    AC 15, Touch 11, Flat-footed 14, CMD 17, Fort +5, Ref +1, Will +1, CMB +6, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Trip, Disarm Heavy Flail Melee (1d10+Str *1.5, 19-20, x2)
    Dagger Melee (1d4+Str, 19-20, x2)
    Sling (Bullets x 50) Ranged (1d4+Str, x2)
    Hide Armor (+4 Armor, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 12, Con 15, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 7
    Condition 1 Con Dmg

9. - Top - End - #969

NecromancerGuy

Round 1

Spoiler: Character Status
    Show
    Kristoph Harrisson
    Male Lawful Good Half-Elf Paladin, Level 2, Init +3, HP 19/22, Speed 30 ft. Base
    AC 18, Touch 11, Flat-footed 17, CMD 15, Fort +8, Ref +5, Will +7, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Longsword (N/A) +4 (1d8+2, 19-20/x2) (+1 Damage vs. Undead)
    Morningstar (N/A) +4 (1d8+2, 20/x2) (+1 Damage vs. Undead)
    Dagger +4 (melee)/ +3 (ranged) (1d4+2, 19-20/x2) (+1 Damage vs. Undead)
    Scale Mail, Heavy Steel Shield (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 13, Int 12, Wis 7, Cha 18
    Conditions None

"Father Charlatan's ghost has him! Keep him from choking!" Kristoph yells, shock still visible on his face as he drops his weapon and shield to move and try to get the chains off Elian's frame and away from his throat.

Spoiler: Combat Mechanics
    Show
    Knowledge (Religion) (1d20+6)[11] to see if he knows anything that might help, like if this is a haunt or might be weak to positive energy touch attacks
    I guess mechanically I am trying to grapple the chains off Elian - I am not sure how better to describe the action...
    Grapple check (1d20+4)[12] (incurs an AoO if the chains or Father Charlatan get one)

If the knowledge check is successful and indicates that positive energy would hurt the chains and the grapple on the chains is successful Kristoph will apply Lay on Hands to the chains for (1d6)[2] damage to them

If the knowledge check is unsuccessful or indicates that LoH won't hurt them, then attempt to pin them to prevent them from acting on Elian any further

10. - Top - End - #970

Gundwolf's flail sails right through the ephemeral chains as though through air. Kristoph kneels by Elian's struggling form, finds him a little cold to the touch and tense, as though every muscle is straining.

Still, when he tries to actually grasp at the chains, just like with Gundwolf's attack, his hands pass right through them. Despite frantically searching his memory from his studies, nothing comes to mind as to what is actually happening or how best to deal with it. After this failure to actually physically affect the chains, perhaps some divine intervention is in fact necessary?

And all the while, the chains just get tighter...
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

11. - Top - End - #971
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Round 1-2?

"Is it another haunt???" Aurora clutches the haunt siphon tightly, afraid to waste its energies to no effect.

Show
    Why do I still have no ranks in Knowledge: Religion???

Anyway, let's try Knowledge: Arcana (1d20+8)[19] and Spellcraft (1d20+8)[11] to try and figure out what's going on.

If her checks or Krisoph inform her that this is a haunt, use the haunt siphon to deal (3d6)[7] positive energy damage to it.

Else, activate Healing Hex and use it to touch attack the chains:
    Atk (1d20-1)[6]
    Dmg (1d8+2)[9] positive energy

(Marty, let me know if using the hex this way is kosher^^.)
    Show

12. - Top - End - #972

Aurora twists the lid on the haunt siphon and there is the sound of rushing air without any air movement. A moment later, one of the chains around Elian snaps and disappears into bluish white smoke. The remaining chains continue to hold him to the ground, however. The vessel in Aurora's hand is now empty and useless.
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

13. - Top - End - #973
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

After Fruril sees his party's hands slip through the chains, he grabs the ghost touch arrow from his quiver and attempts to sever the chains with it

Show

I believe this is considered using it as an improvised weapon. So -4 penalty for improvising, +2 for flanking (if I can move into flanking), +1 for magic weapon..
    Attack (1d20+5)[10]
    CC (20/x2) (1d20+5)[6]
    Damage (1d8+4)[10] if damage dealt as an arrow (+1 for magic, +3 for Str). Or (1d4+4)[5] if damage as dagger for being improvised.

14. - Top - End - #974

Start of "Round 2"
    Another of the spectral chains breaks away when Fruril drives his ghost touch arrow into it! The chain falls away and like the previous one, dissolves away into smoke. Still, a couple more chains remain.

Elian writhes and twists under the chains, obviously in great duress. His eyes are wide open, but unfocused on anything around him. His teeth are gritted in a mixture of pain and effort as he grunts and thrashes against them.

Spoiler: Read only if you succeed at Perception DC 15
    Show

Among the grunts, a few syllables are uttered as the spirit has him fight some sort of mental battle. One word is barely understand through his efforts: "...brother..."

Spoiler: Fruril
    Show

The 1d4 damage is the correct damage when using an arrow as a melee weapon. The d8 only applies when using a bow. You dealt 5 points to it though...well done!
    Last edited by CleverDragon; 2015-01-16 at 09:04 AM.
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

15. - Top - End - #975

NecromancerGuy

Round 2

Spoiler: Character Status
    Show
    Kristoph Harrisson
    Male Lawful Good Half-Elf Paladin, Level 2, Init +3, HP 19/22, Speed 30 ft. Base
    AC 18, Touch 11, Flat-footed 17, CMD 15, Fort +8, Ref +5, Will +7, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Longsword (N/A) +4 (1d8+2, 19-20/x2) (+1 Damage vs. Undead)
    Morningstar (N/A) +4 (1d8+2, 20/x2) (+1 Damage vs. Undead)
    Dagger +4 (melee)/ +3 (ranged) (1d4+2, 19-20/x2) (+1 Damage vs. Undead)
    Scale Mail, Heavy Steel Shield (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 13, Int 12, Wis 7, Cha 18
    Conditions Lay on Hands 1/5 Used

Kristoph reaches out to touch the chains, his hands glowing slightly from divine power. "I don't know if it a haunt or not, but it seems to be reacting as if it were undead," he says, urgency in his voice.

Spoiler: Combat Mechanics
    Show
    Touch one of the chains (1d20+4)[19] vs. Touch AC
    Use Lay on Hands for (1d6)[5] points of Positive Energy damage to the chains

Perception (1d20+1)[10]

16. - Top - End - #976

There is an unholy screech as Kristoph's glowing hand contacts one of the remaining chains. It looks as though the chain catches fire and melts away. Two more lengths of chain remain firmly wrapped around Elian's throat, pulling his head to the floor.
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

17. - Top - End - #977

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Fruril stabs once again after seeing the effectiveness of his plan!

Show

Perception (1d20+7)[24]
    Attack (1d20+7)[15] (didnt think about this last time, but it's another +2 to Atk and Dmg for being undead. i included it this time)
    CC (20/x2) (1d20+7)[21]
    Damage (1d4+6)[8]

18. - Top - End - #978
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Round 2

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    (1d20+5)[25]

A white glow springs up in Aurora's palm, which she then drives into the remaining chains. "Hold on, Elian!"

Show
    Activate Healing Hex, move to melee, and touch attack chains:
    atk (1d20-1)[0] (not including any "flanking", if applicable)
    dmg (1d8+2)[6] positive energy

If the attack misses, she'll hold the charge and continue attempting the touch attack every round until she's successful:
    atk (1d20-1)[7]
    atk (1d20-1)[6]
    atk (1d20-1)[14]
    etc
    Show

19. - Top - End - #979

Fruril's arrow strikes true and another spectral chain disappears! The last one clings desperately around Elian's throat, but through some force of will or strength or inner fortitude, Elian stretches against it and it shatters. Exhausted, Elian collapses back to the floor, but his eyes regain some measure of focus.

The haunt of Father Charlatan, it would seem, has been vanquished.
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

20. - Top - End - #980
    Titan in the Playground

Elian's eyes refocus, and his breathing begins to regulate as his gaze shifts from person to person. I... I.... He takes a few deep breaths and closes his eyes for a moment. What in the 9 hells was that!?

21. - Top - End - #981
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    (1d20+6)[9]

As the ethereal chains shatter, Gundwolf releases a held breath explosively, looking easily the most fragile the party has ever seen. He leans against the wall, breathing heavily.

22. - Top - End - #982

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Elian! Are you alright?!

23. - Top - End - #983
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Albinobrow View Post
    Elian! Are you alright?!
    Elian carefully lifts his torso to a sideways position, unable for the moment to rise from the floor. I... I think so. That was unpleasant, to say the least. Over the next several seconds, he slowly rises to a kneeling position. What... what did you all see? That is, what happened to me?

24. - Top - End - #984

NecromancerGuy

Kristoph reaches down to help his ally off the floor the glow from his hands having extinguished with the chains. "I think we just fought off the specter of Father Charlatan. When I turned I saw him behind you, and when the apparition realized I could see it those chains appeared and we had to fight him...it...off. Are you alright? Either Aurora or I could heal you if you need it," the paladin says, concern evident in his face.

25. - Top - End - #985
    Titan in the Playground

No. I am fine. It will take more than some imaginary chains and disturbing images to put me down. Though, it appears Gundwolf had worse of a time with those ooze-creatures than the rest of us.

26. - Top - End - #986
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    No. I am fine. It will take more than some imaginary chains and disturbing images to put me down. Though, it appears Gundwolf had worse of a time with those ooze-creatures than the rest of us.
    Gundwolf gives Elian a malevolent look and stands abruptly from his momentary slump. I'm not afraid of some pathetic puddle of slime. A shadow of the haunted look returns to his face as he says, ...but how can I fight something I cannot touch?

After a moment in which he does not speak, he suddenly whips his flail from its loop and aims several vicious blows at the remnants of the humanoid undead, pulverizing any recognizable pieces into the stone floor, and very nearly chipping the stone.

27. - Top - End - #987

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Did anyone look at the desk in the entryway on the first floor? At least a brief glance to see if there is anything of note there would be nice, but Kristoph isn't the most perceptive, so...

Kristoph watches Gundwolf lashing out, nodding his head in agreement. "Some of the finest of magical arms have the ability to effect ghostly enemies, but they are a rare and wondrous thing. I can only assume the arrows Fruril just used are enchanted in such a manner," he says, thoughtfully. "Quick thinking, there, my friend," he clasps Fruril on the shoulder admiringly.

He then looks back at the auditorium door. "If Elian is alright, let's go inside the auditorium. But first, pass around a couple of those haunt siphons and if you have magic to help others resist the effects of the haunt use it now."

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    I would say that Aurora and Elian need haunts to use, since the other three are more weapon-oriented. If we can manage it, Resistance spells on the low-save PCs at least. To maximize the duration on those with the lowest saves, let's cast it on Kristoph last (if he needs it, cast it inside the room).

28. - Top - End - #988
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Aurora digs two of the three remaining haunt siphons out of her pack and hands one to Elian. As she does so she whispers quietly to him, ""Are you sure you're alright? I though I heard you say something about, about a brother...?

Returning to a place in front of the door, she transfers the Ward's protective energies to Elian and signals her readiness to proceed into the auditorium.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #989
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
    As she does so she whispers quietly to him, ""Are you sure you're alright? I though I heard you say something about, about a brother...?
    Elian reaches out to take the haunt siphon, looking at the device curiously. At her words, he looks into her eyes, blank faced. I do not know what you mean. I must have been confused by the haunt. Let us see what awaits us in the auditorium.

Spoiler: @@Marty
    Show
    Spoiler: no, really!
    Show
    D: (1d20+6)[25] bluff? (I don't know if you rolled SMs for the last one, but I figure I'll keep giving 'em to you until such time as I can sufficiently push the attention onto someone else ^_~

30. - Top - End - #990

NecromancerGuy

As Kristoph's looks around at the shaken party his eyes pass the desk in the remains of the entryway. "We found a journal before..." he mumbles as he walks over to it and opens it, searching as carefully as he knows how for anything inside it, even going so far as taking out the drawers as he does so.

Show
    Taking 20 for a 21

After he has searched it to his satisfaction he says, "If there everyone is ready, I say we do this. When I open the door Gundwolf and I will go first, followed by Aurora and Elian, with Fruril at the rear. Move quickly - let's not get separated again. Is everyone ready?"

When everyone nods or voices their agreement he opens the door and moves in aggressively...