New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Trans-Atlantic Carrion Crown (IC)

Quote Originally Posted by JWallyR View Post
    Pausing to catch his breath after several fruitless swings, Gundwolf barks out, Life was thrust upon me, and likewise the living. As neither has shown love for me, I have little for either.
    Spoiler: Sparring mechanics
    Show
    Returning to Fighting Defensively for an AC of 20.
    (1d20-1)[12] attack, (1d20-1)[12] critical confirmation on a natural 19 or 20 for x2 damage, (1d8+2)[9] damage

(1d20-1)[0] attack, (1d20-1)[4] critical confirmation on a natural 19 or 20 for x2 damage, (1d8+2)[9] damage

(1d20-1)[10] attack, (1d20-1)[4] critical confirmation on a natural 19 or 20 for x2 damage, (1d8+2)[6] damage

"Death then? You possess enough skill with arms to support such devotion..."

Show
    Once again returning to Total Defense after the verbal jab for AC of 22.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    "Death then? You possess enough skill with arms to support such devotion..."
    Death is the other face of the coin of life. If I am to live, at times others must die. I neither revel in nor shirk from their death.

Spoiler: Combat
    Show

Attack: (1d20+5)[12]
    CC: (1d20+5)[10]
    Damage: (2d6+4)[10]

Attack: (1d20+5)[17]
    CC: (1d20+5)[16]
    Damage: (2d6+4)[8]

Attack: (1d20+5)[14]
    CC: (1d20+5)[19]
    Damage: (2d6+4)[11]
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

3. - Top - End - #243

NecromancerGuy

Death is the other face of the coin of life. If I am to live, at times others must die. I neither revel in nor shirk from their death.
    Kristoph stops sparring for a moment only, holding his sword by his side, stepping back to be clear that this question is important: "Then for what cause do you fight?"

Returning to the ready, Kristoph attacks without the defensiveness he displayed before.

Show
    (1d20+3)[21] attack roll, (1d20+3)[23] critical confirmation, (1d8+2)[7] damage

(1d20+3)[11] attack roll, (1d20+3)[12] critical confirmation, (1d8+2)[10] damage

(1d20+3)[5] attack roll, (1d20+3)[23] critical confirmation, (1d8+2)[9] damage

Finally connecting once, the paladin returns to total defense, attempting to let the big half-orc recover from the hit.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Then for what cause do you fight?"
    Gundwolf hesitates for a moment, and in that moment, Kristoph's cased blade edges past his attempted parry, connecting soundly on his cheek. Face suddenly expressionless and eyes wide, Gundwolf completely freezes for a full two seconds, not even breathing.

Suddenly, he takes a deep, sharp breath. The expected exhale comes out as a rumble, growing into an ear-splitting roar as his still-widened eyes are surrounded by a scowling snarl. Suddenly, almost too fast to be possible, he swings...

Spoiler: Combat Mechanics
    Show

RAAAAAAAGE! +4STR/Con, -2AC
    Power attack: -1ATK, +2 (+3 if 2h) DMG

Attack: (1d20+6)[23]
    CC: (1d20+6)[19]
    Damage: (2d6+12)[17]

Attack: (1d20+6)[22]
    CC: (1d20+6)[15]
    Damage: (2d6+12)[21]
    <--- c'mon now.

Gundwolf's first sweeping strike skitters off of Kristoph's hastily-raised shield to audibly impact the human's exposed temple. As the human before him falls to the earth as a senseless heap, the fire behind Gundwolf's eyes seems to dissipate, and he slumps in place. Looking down at his handiwork, the practice greatsword falls from his hands. The snarling scowl fades from his face, replaced by a mixture of confusion and concern. Seeming to notice the crowd around him for the first time, his expression is the only appeal he gives as he scans the faces around him, before staring in silent shame at Kristoph's unconscious form.
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2014-07-16 at 07:47 PM.

5. - Top - End - #245

NecromancerGuy

A couple of moments later Kristoph wakes up a little confused. "Where am...oh...that's going hurt..." he says, rubbing his head. Looking around at the crowd he sees Gundwolf watching him in concern.

"Hahaha! Nice hit!" he laughs, smiling at the big half-orc. "I was worried that was going to happen..." The paladin stands up, slowly, on unusually wobbly legs. "Do you drink, Gundwolf? I suddenly find myself thirsty. Let's head into town and get a bite to eat and some ale; I think I am going to need it later."

The paladin brushes himself off, declining the help of those in the gathered crowd, explaining to anyone who speaks up that they were just sparring, he's fine, thank you, etc... Walking around the cathedral he gathers up the rest of the company, offering to buy dinner if everyone will please join him in the town's best tavern. He then takes Gundwolf in arm (assuming he is willing) and walks (carefully) to get a meal.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gundwolf waits for Kristoph at the entrance to the cathedral in brooding silence. Declining to take his arm, he nonetheless walks at Kristoph's side toward the tavern, clearly lost in introspection.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Aurora Knowledge Checks
    Show

After only looking through part of the library (it is quite extensive and will take you a while to get through everything) you learn the following.
    Spoiler: Whispering Way
    Show
    The Whispering Way itself is a series of philosophies that can only be transferred via whispers—the philosophies are never written or spoken of loudly, making the exact goals and nature of the secretive. [Note, there is more to learn about them]

You don't find any information on any of the specific prisoners initially. However, you by chance come across an old News Posting (similar to the ones you saw posted on the poles on the first day) about the capture of
    Spoiler: The Piper of Illmarsh
    Show
    Before he snatched his victims, the Piper taunted his targets with a mournful dirge on his flute. He preferred to paralyze lone victims by dosing their meals with lich dust and then allowed his pet stirges to drink the victims dry of blood.

The complete lack of information about the Palatine Eye seems...uncanny.

A few (careful) inquiries direct you to The Laughing Demon, just off the town circle, overlooking the river. When the party enters the place has about ten customers sitting in various places around the tavern. At your entrance, all eyes race to you as the sound inside the place stops for a moment.

Suddenly a bellowing voice calls from behind the bar.

HAHAHA! Its you! The friends of the profesor. A large man walks from behind the bar, and you immediately recognize him as one of the guests at the funeral. [The one who laughed out loud]

I am Zokar, and welcome to the Laughing Demon. At his welcoming tone most of the noise returns as the patrons return to their meals, drinks, and talk.

I have just the table for you! Overlooking the river, at this time of the day, PERFECT!

He walks you to the back of the tavern and sets you around a large table next to a window. The window looks over the river, and you can see the Church of Pharasma on the opposite bank.

Now, what will it be? We have Zombie Ale, Vampire Steaks, Wolfballs, Corpse Chouder, and Liquid Ghosts.
    Spoiler: Zokar
    Show
    Last edited by Untarr; 2014-07-17 at 04:59 PM.
    Spoiler: Active Characters
    Show

8. - Top - End - #248
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Untarr View Post
    Now, what will it be? We have Zombie Ale, Vampire Steaks, Wolfballs, Corpse Chouder, and Liquid Ghosts.
    Spoiler: Zokar
    Show
    With a scowl that someone also gives the impression of nausea, Gundwolf grumbles, Does any of your food have a proper name?

9. - Top - End - #249

NecromancerGuy

Kristoph looks quizzically at their host, not sure how to respond.

With a scowl that someone also gives the impression of nausea, Gundwolf grumbles, Does any of your food have a proper name?
    His face turning from confused to entertained, the paladin laughs, "Hah! Don't look so green, Gundwolf! Such black humor has its place, after all!" Turning to their host, he continues, "In proper common, though what are each of those items...? Regardless, I will take some of your ale, along with a flagon for everyone else in the bar, on me. If the steaks are really made of beef, I would like one of those too, no pink inside, with some sides. What are these 'liquid ghosts' exactly?"

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Some of the drunker patrons yell out

Afraid of eating Vampire are ya?
    Shaddup, its just beef with a stupid name.
    Don't you tell me to shaddup, you stupid git.
    HEY! He said a round on him. Who cares what its called, ITS FREE!

Laughing at the exchange, Zokar turns back to the party with a grin.

Liquid Ghosts is a special ale that can only be brewed BY THE DUMBEST TAVERNKEEP IN USTALOV. HAHAHAHAHAH *hick* in the shadow of a cemetery. It is a distinctly sweet local ale that I am sure you will enjoy. So, Vampire Steak for you, a round of Liquid Ghosts, and what else?
    Show

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

Elian visibly starts at the view of the church framed by the sunset behind it. You sir, have a rather unique establishment. That view might well be worth the highest price I have yet heard of for a room. Methinks we will not require one, somewhat sadly. After a few moments, he regains his composure just in time to hear the food lists, and once again starts visibly- this time at the mention of vampire steaks. Now, THAT, I feel the need to try. Though it would please me to hear that it was beef, as well. Quite rare, if you please.

He takes a seat facing the window, and appears to struggle to follow conversations.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Looking merely affronted now, Gundwolf takes a deep breath, and in a measured voice Steak, very rare as well. A tankard of that ghost ale too. He turns and nods curtly at Kristoph, but says nothing.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Very well. I shall return shortly with your drinks. racing back to the bar, he begins pouring the round for the place. He yells back to someone in the kitchen the food you ordered, with perfect memory. He returns a minute later with all ordered drinks.
    Spoiler: Orders
    Show
    For those of you whom have not responded, assume that he brings you anything from the menu that you order.

Eat! Drink! For what better way can a man fight the darkness but with the light of laughter and fun! HAHAHAHAHA he walks back to the bar. Returning periodically to check for refills.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gundwolf looks distinctly uncomfortable after the hearty barkeep's exhortation, eyes shifting between the barkeep, the other patrons of the tavern, and... Kristoph. His eye briefly lands on Aurora, and his brows furrow as in thought. Taking a swig of the ale, he turns to stare into the fire.

15. - Top - End - #255

NecromancerGuy

Eat! Drink! For what better way can a man fight the darkness but with the light of laughter and fun! HAHAHAHAHA he walks back to the bar. Returning periodically to check for refills.
    "Well said, Mr. Zokar! To long life, and just rewards!" Kristoph toasts loudly, obviously enjoying the environment.

"This is the way to live," he says to the assembled company. "Many forget that Pharasma, in addition to her role as judge in the afterlife, is a deity of life! She wants us to live to the fullest, enjoying all the many blessings that come from simply being a part of this world. Every child born, every field plowed, every hearty meal eaten, and every long life peacefully ended is sacred in her eyes." Smiling, he enjoys the ale, food, and company.

Edit: The paladin makes it a point to pay for the meals of both Aurora and Gundwolf, accepting no excuses from either. He then keeps the drinks coming throughout the bar, making it a point to walk around to the other patrons, ask names, shake hands, generally be friendly and try to improve the attitudes of everyone there. When his meal arrives he eats it heartily, tipping the wait-staff and sending a tip to the cook.

Spoiler: Diplomacy Check
    Show
    (1d20+8)[9] Diplomacy check to improve the attitudes of the patrons and bar staff (include any situational modifiers as they apply, please)

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

As the sun sinks below the horizon, Elian trades his window view for a seat facing in. He spends most of the evening sipping on ale, and observing Kristoph. He makes no effort to start conversation, and responds blandly if asked a question.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Liquid Ghosts is a special ale that can only be brewed BY THE DUMBEST TAVERNKEEP IN USTALOV. HAHAHAHAHAH *hick* in the shadow of a cemetery. It is a distinctly sweet local ale that I am sure you will enjoy. So, Vampire Steak for you, a round of Liquid Ghosts, and what else?
    "Um, I would like a steak, please, medium well if you don't mind, and, um..." Aurora looks around the establishment, mildly alarmed by the setting and the drunken revelry, "a glass of water, if you don't mind."

-----

Aurora sits silently for most of the meal, barely picking at her food, while Kristoph makes his rounds with the townsfolk clapping backs and shaking hands. Finally, when the meal is nearly finished and Kristoph's circulation has brought him back to their table, she beckons him over. When he arrives and she has everyone's attention, she takes a deep breath and begins:

"I have already discussed this with some of you, but I feel owe the rest of you an explanation. This-" she withdraws the wooden case with the scarab symbol from a pocket of her cloak and places it heavily in the middle of the tabling, waiting for everyone to acknowledge its significance before continuing, "this bears the mark of a secret society known as The Esoteric Order of The Palantine Eye. They are said to have agents throughout Ustalav and beyond, and while their agenda is shrouded in mystery, it is known to contains all manner of interests both arcane and political." Her brow furrows and she frowns down at the table in front of her. "I have not been able to discover anything more, despite my best efforts. The Order seems to keep their secrets well.."

She seems lost staring into space for a moment before she continues. "Why is this significant? Because one of the tomes we found in Professor Lorrimor's trunk yesterday bore the very same symbol! I don't know what it means, exactly, but it's not hard to infer that the professor was somehow mixed up with this Order and their dealings." She grits her teeth, and takes another long breath before she speaks again. "That... is why I tried to conceal the case from you all. I was afraid that if you knew, if anyone knew, the Professor's reputation might be damaged even further than it already is! Nobody knows much about the Order, but that leaves everyone free to imagine the worst... Anyway, I think now that I was wrong to mistrust you. You- no, we- we all were the Professor's most trusted friends. He was counting on us to finish what he started."

"So- " she swallows, "I don't want to keep secrets. That's what I know about the Order, little as it is. I think- I think maybe this box has another another clue that we need. Elian and I were about to inspect it when Kristoph brought us here. And- and now I think we should open it together." Breathing quickly, while the others are processing the speech she's just delivered to them, Aurora reaches out quickly for the nearest un-empty flagon of ale and downs it in single pull!
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Robert
    Show
    2 gold is enough to cover all the meals, and 3-4 rounds of ale for the whole tavern.

Spoiler: Knowledge Local DC 15
    Show
    You recognize one of the patrons as Gharen Muricar, a member of the council.
    Spoiler: DC 20 (Same Roll)
    Show
    Councilman Gharen Muricar is just a few years junior to his lifelong friend Vashian Hearthmount (Head of the Council), but
    acts like a man half his age. He’s the most up to date on matters outside of Ravengro, keeping the council abreast of national events, and also serves as the city’s unofficial historian. His reputation as something of a rake has not diminished much in his old age—but he’s such an institution in the town that most of the citizens take his lechery in stride, regarding it as “mostly harmless.”

As you walk around the room shaking hands, most of the townspeople greet you with smiles and thanks. Several remark that they've never seen the place this lively. After the second round, you hear a voice chime in. You recognize it from earlier (one of the hecklers)
    Last I saw of you, you were huge and trampling my friends... taking a swig of his ale. I don't blame ya, we was bein' so stupid. Look...that was not the brightest moment of my life. I don't know what came over me. Listening to Gibbs, I just felt something come over me and just got...angry. Anyways, I am truly sorry. I hope ya can forgive this poor farmer.

The night continues with joyous celebration. Hours after the sun has gone down Zokar finally announces last call (Much to the chagrin of the patrons).
    Show

19. - Top - End - #259

NecromancerGuy

Last I saw of you, you were huge and trampling my friends... taking a swig of his ale. I don't blame ya, we was bein' so stupid. Look...that was not the brightest moment of my life. I don't know what came over me. Listening to Gibbs, I just felt something come over me and just got...angry. Anyways, I am truly sorry. I hope ya can forgive this poor farmer.
    Kristoph smiles and laughs. "Are you sure the ale isn't getting to you? I am normal sized now!" he says jokingly. "I am just glad everyone left that evening alive. It is much better to celebrate a life well spent than mourn one ended too quickly, right? To all of you here who love your town so much you would fight to keep it safe!" he says loudly, drinking to the farmer's good health.
    ------------------------

During Aurora's explanation Kristoph's smile never fades. "There is certainly something going on around here, and we must act together. Thank you for opening up to us, Aurora." With that he raises his glass and says, "To Professor Lorrimor; may we all live up to the faith he placed in us," he toasts.

Taking a moment to look around the bar, the paladin turns back to the party and relays what was said to him by the farmer. "I am beginning to wonder if we should look in on this 'Gibbs' fellow. He lives close to the statue that was vandalized this morning, was the ringleader for that mob last night, and if he is enraging the townsfolk somehow, he may be part of the problem. Perhaps we need to help him see a change of heart and become part of the solution instead..." he says, meaningfully.

Spoiler: Starnes
    Show
    I have spent the gold on my character sheet. Thank you!

Spoiler: Everyone read
    Show
    I have edited my post directly before this one. Please read it. I don't think it will change anything, but just FYI.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

Elian nods as Kristoph relates his concerns regarding Gibbs. Indeed, other than a few insects grown much beyond their purpose, this "Gibbs" is by far the greatest threat which has been made known here. I agree that he needs to be made a primary concern, perhaps even before we look int Harrowstone. I would not say I fear the place, but I am uneasy about what we may find therein.

Turning to Aurora, he continues: I too am anxious to see what waits inside that case. However, I cannot express how strongly I feel this isnnot the time, or rather place, to do so. It has waited these last few weeks, at least, since the professor left it. A few hours more where discretion will be easier to enforce will not hinder our efforts overmuch. Be patient just a short time longer, and we can inspect the contents in the relative safety of Kendra's home, safe from prying eyes.

In fact, if our gregarious friend here does not object, I feel it would be prudent to retire ourselves. The morrow will hold many unseen challenges, and we should be well-rested if we hope to face them.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"To Professor Lorrimor; may we all live up to the faith he placed in us," he toasts.

Gundwolf raises his tankard in silent salute.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    Elian says words and things...
    Gundwolf nods at Elian. Best to know that our backs aren't turned to a snake in waiting while we seek out danger ourselves.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Between the rounds bought by Kristoph and the ones he bought for himself, Fruril all but completely sloshed! He cheers and eats and is merry! He also agrees that the case should be open later, but is in no rush at all to go home!

ANOTHER ROUND OF LIQUID GHOSTS FOR MY FRIENDS!! AND WHAT THE HECK?! PUT AN UMBRELLA IN MINE!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

23. - Top - End - #263

NecromancerGuy

Kristoph does his best to help everyone (including the other townsfolk) get home safely. As he half drags, half carries the more drunken member of the company back to the Lorrimor residence he looks up at the night sky, relieved it isn't raining. "Ah there you all are! For a little while there I thought I had lost you, what with the rain last night," he says, gazing at the familiar constellations. He entertains himself by chatting to each of them as if they would reply, a smile on his face the entire time.

Once there, he tries to get everyone inside without waking Kendra. Should he succeed, he leaves a scribbled note on her door (explaining how the day went after leaving her at the sheriff's office) and goes to bed. If she is already awake, he first puts the party to bed and then explains the days events in person. If she wakes up, he apologizes for their sorry state and encourages her to return to bed, leaving a note for her to read in the morning.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

You walk into the residence to find Kendra asleep in the sitting room. There are plates all around and it looks as if she made dinner. She quietly snores as you all make your way inside. Kristoph lifts her up without much effort and places her in her room and shuts the door, leaving his note under it.

The night passes without incident.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Elian rises early, as he usually does, and makes his way to the library. Just before the sun rises, he sets out to find breakfast, looking for either Kendra, or some hired help who would know where such things can be found.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

You find the pantry with some salted ham and slightly hardened bread.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #267

NecromancerGuy

The night passes without incident.
    Kristoph rises before the sun, none the worse from the ale he drank the night before. Rising quietly he takes his armor and weapons outside into the yard. Once there he takes several minutes to pray, followed by several minutes more with his star journal tracking the planets and constellations. Finally, as the dawn approaches he begins drilling alone in the yard, practicing with his weapons and shield in every combination he knows.

About an hour after dawn, he heads inside and after cleaning himself and his gear takes a light breakfast, reading his holy book as he does so.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

After helping himself to salted ham and crackers, Elian takes a random book off the shelves of the library and finds a place to sit near Kristoph and his morning routine. He watches, with an odd mix of casual interest and intentionality. He does not say anything to take his attention away from his routine, and only sparingly pretends to read the book he brought out.

As the half-elf heads inside, Elian hands him a serving of the ham, and comments: the celestial bodies are quite important to you, aren't they? I... Noticed your... Conversation last night on the way home. I just wanted you to know that I've always been somewhat fascinated by the depths of our ignorance as well. Whatever the gods intended, the stars at night are great catalysts of wonder...

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

Kendra walks out out of her room with the note in hand. Pausing at various moments to cover her mouth with her hands, her eyes widen Oh my... she finishes the note.

Wow, it sounds like you all had a rather eventful day yesterday. I had wondered where you went after I saw the sheriff walk by the house without you.

Spoiler: @ Players
    Show
    Father Grimburrow will have your things ready for you before you arrive. If you want to write out him giving the stuff to you in your post, you can. Otherwise...go day 2!
    Show

30. - Top - End - #270

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    ...the stars at night are great catalysts of wonder...
    Kristoph smiles and looks up from his readings. "I will not speak regarding the gods and their intents nor the ignorance of mortals, but ever since I was very, very young I have been powerfully drawn to the night sky. I never knew my blood parents, my adopted ones delivered me to the Pharasman church when I was still very young, and it is plain to see that even amongst the elves and men I do not fit. However, every night the stars shine down on me, their patterns and colors consistent and steady like the family I never really had. The planets move about their own paths, but still follow set rules and patterns, and even Somal" (the moon) "with her scars can be seen to wax and wane in time with a song only she hears. The sky holds my closest companions and friends, and though it is perhaps odd, I feel as if the constellations, planets, and moon hear my conversations with them and consider me part of their family too."

Wow, it sounds like you all had a rather eventful day yesterday. I had wondered where you went after I saw the sheriff walk by the house without you.
    Rising from his seat, Kristoph greet Kendra, saying, "Yes, Miss Kendra, it was quite eventful. I apologize for not sending word to you of the events sooner. Did the sheriff have anything to say about the vandalism at the statue? I wonder if we should take a look this morning or talk to him before going and meeting Mr. Gibbs...

First, however, I think we should go by the church and see what Father Grimburrow discovered about the items we found in the cache.

Would you join us today, Miss Kendra? We would all be very glad to have you do so, if you have nothing else pressing this morning...
    "