New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Banned

Devil

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground LVI

Quote Originally Posted by Seppo87 View Post
    - Are there rules concerning incomplete official class variants? For example psionic abjurant champion and the likes.
    Regarding this, if there's an "official" adaptation (for example, Swordsage, or Ur-Priest) which would be appropriate, then it is often considered to be allowed; in each case, the Unarmed variant, or the Dead God variant (instead of god-hating). Fluff prerequisites are occasionally waived unless it is strictly campaign specific, and especially if there's cross-class setting involved. For example, a Dragonmarked Human of one of the Rokugan Clans with levels in Slime Lord (being of a FR specific god) will raise an eyebrow and lower an elegance score.

Conversely, the other, least thought out adaptations, such as the Arcane Swordsage, then there's virtually universal none acceptance of those variants. At the end of the day, you're building what you want to build. It's not nice to find out you've got a low score through such, but originality has always been key. Were-Entomanothrope for example was hardly a commonplace thing, but here were stand today after Stonelord. I've learned an absolute ton of things in these competitions, and I love how people can book dive for new and interesting things.

We went through a stage of "must stick exactly to RAW", but I think we're through that stage a little bit, where building has now become about what's *cool*, basically. If it feels right, then go with it. There might be a slight penalty for elegance, but as showed in the last round, using an illegal source wasn't too heavily penalised. (Not that I'm saying make use of it constantly, but it's a small penalty to keep in mind.)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    There might be a slight penalty for elegance, but as showed in the last round, using an illegal source wasn't too heavily penalised. (Not that I'm saying make use of it constantly, but it's a small penalty to keep in mind.)
    I'm a bit irked about that, actually (I'd prefer to see any illegal source ignored completely, yet it garnered the chef points in Originality - and possibly power). But what's done is done.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Thank you for the answers. I like the spirit of the challenge as you explained it now. Feels good to know that some flexibility is welcome when it brings fresh ideas to the table.

I'll start crunching numbers asap
    Last edited by Seppo87; 2014-04-17 at 06:12 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Banned

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Deadline View Post
    I'm a bit irked about that, actually (I'd prefer to see any illegal source ignored completely, yet it garnered the chef points in Originality - and possibly power). But what's done is done.
    Flaws are allowed, and yet they provide penalty points, and so rarely used. While I do note that the book they're from is fully wizards legal, and the last rounds wasn't, I think it's nice to increase the number of books used; perhaps a rule stating mandatory penalty points for use of such books (perhaps -1.0 for each such source), and that books not of the allowed 1st party content could be eligible for having the content taken from within completely ignored for the purposes of judging, which could render the build ineligible to qualify for SI. Maybe a blanket ban on anything not in a published hard-copy/recognised website (like Athas, say); or even a limit on one or two such source books as well. With a quick google, or a PM to the chairman, the judges should be able to locate the exact abilities effect.

*Waits for the "Nooooo!"*

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

Rules query:

While in a defensive stance, a defender cannot use skills or abilities that would require him to shift his position.
    What about spells (are they "abilities"? Dimension door?), items, manouvers (If someone offers me a tactical strike 5 foot step, can I take it? What about Shadow Jaunt), or spells from allies, and movement from enemies? (Bullrushes, blowbacks, etcetera)?

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeren View Post
    Rules query:

What about spells (are they "abilities"? Dimension door?), items, manouvers (If someone offers me a tactical strike 5 foot step, can I take it? What about Shadow Jaunt), or spells from allies, and movement from enemies? (Bullrushes, blowbacks, etcetera)?
    I think you'd suffer a larger elegance hit than the bonus point to power for a cool trick.
    I am what lurks under your bridge, I am the troll...

Not sure about what I said, go back highlight it with your mouse and wham it's magically blue for sarcasm, so like everything on the internet take it with a grain of salt.

Spoiler: IC Trophies
    Show
    LIV Silver Auric Goldbones
    LVII Bronze Adlib

7. - Top - End - #37

I got one build setup that seems like another great 4th place build. I have ideas for another that I don't think will work but I have to explore that option.

The pre-req feats are killing me.

Not sure about what I said, go back highlight it with your mouse and wham it's magically blue for sarcasm, so like everything on the internet take it with a grain of salt.

Show
    LVII Bronze Adlib

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

I have an idea. Nobody (well, no one who knows me) would expect me to submit redacted.

I'll try to get a build in soon, although it might take me until the weekend to finish it all up.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wow I just looked at the skill list. It has been so long since I've looked at a DMG prestige class. That's real bad.
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

10. - Top - End - #40
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbledore lives View Post
    Wow I just looked at the skill list. It has been so long since I've looked at a DMG prestige class. That's real bad.
    At least they got spot and sense motive. I rate that as putting them above a Fighter.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

I think you'd suffer a larger elegance hit than the bonus point to power for a cool trick.
    That's pretty much my modus operandi! Woo!

I want to hear from a judge on perceived legality.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Rules query:

That's pretty much my modus operandi! Woo!

I want to hear from a judge on perceived legality.
    I'm competing this round, but if you want my two cents I don't think that teleporting or sitting still on a horse/magic carpet/whatever works.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarven Defender
    When he adopts a defensive stance, a defender gains phenomenal strength and durability, but he cannot move from the spot he is defending. He gains +2 to Strength, +4 to Constitution, a +2 resistance bonus on all saves, and a +4 dodge bonus to AC. The increase in Constitution increases the defender’s hit points by 2 points per level, but these hit points go away at the end of the defensive stance when the Constitution score drops back 4 points. These extra hit points are not lost first the way temporary hit points are. While in a defensive stance, a defender cannot use skills or abilities that would require him to shift his position. A defensive stance lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the character’s (newly improved) Constitution modifier. A defender may end his defensive stance voluntarily prior to this limit. At the end of the defensive stance, the defender is winded and takes a -2 penalty to Strength for the duration of that encounter. A defender can only use his defensive stance a certain number of times per day as determined by his level (see Table: The Dwarven Defender). Using the defensive stance takes no time itself, but a defender can only do so during his action.
    Emphasis mine. I interpret that to mean that he has to stay on the same square of the game map.

In other news, I think my vision quest may be near its end. I have not one, but two stubs that would work to my satisfaction if I got two flaws. And all it took was a whole day of completely blowing off homework! These feat prereqs are nasty.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

13. - Top - End - #43
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

the Dwarven Defender is described as proficient with ALL types of armor. Does this include exotic armor?

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by Kreuz View Post
    the Dwarven Defender is described as proficient with ALL types of armor. Does this include exotic armor?
    Yes, just like Anointed Knight which we did not so long ago.

Show
    LVII Bronze Adlib

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

I think I'll try and compete for the first time.

16. - Top - End - #46

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Techwarrior View Post
    I have an idea. Nobody (well, no one who knows me) would expect me to submit redacted.

I'll try to get a build in soon, although it might take me until the weekend to finish it all up.
    I'll bet it's gonna be the one with Dwarven Defender in it.

*waits for PONIES to get wind of this*

I will have to be bowing out of this. I can chairman fairly hands-off and efficiently (if not a bit late for a few things ), but competing or judging won't be able to happen. My daughter's being born on Monday, and that's...yeah. A thing. Definitely.

If I get COMPLETELY stir-crazy at the hospital I'll look at possibly slapping a build together to submit.

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by Kazudo View Post
    My daughter's being born on Monday
    CONGRATS
    trying to get gnome slimelord in this build and having trouble

Show
    LVII Bronze Adlib

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kreuz View Post
    Someone should submit a Defender that effectively uses Twistcloth, since no one ever bothers with the proficiencies for that anyway.

19. - Top - End - #49

Quote Originally Posted by Techwarrior View Post
    Someone should submit a Defender that effectively uses Twistcloth, since no one ever bothers with the proficiencies for that anyway.
    Damnit, now you've done gone spoiled my brew.

20. - Top - End - #50

PirateWench

Spent three hours last night on the web trying to get something going. Now I have my stub, just trying to figure or how to get redacted into the build for redacted.

21. - Top - End - #51

Ok so my google-fu is failing me. What is the official stance on whether DR of the same type stacks if from different sources (other than ones which say they do). Ie DR1/- from barbarian and DR3/- from the SI? I have found that different types like cold iron and silver don't stack (duh) but every discussion I see about this topic quickly decays into anarchy before coming to an actual conclusion.
    Iron chef accomplishments
    Czar Hail tied for 2nd

Games I'm in
    Amonkhet: Trials of the Gods

Awesome avatar by Linklele! - currently seeking new avatar!

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arkangel111 View Post
    Ok so my google-fu is failing me. What is the official stance on whether DR of the same type stacks if from different sources (other than ones which say they do). Ie DR1/- from barbarian and DR3/- from the SI? I have found that different types like cold iron and silver don't stack (duh) but every discussion I see about this topic quickly decays into anarchy before coming to an actual conclusion.
    DR overlaps and does not stack unless you have DR from a source that specifically says otherwise.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

23. - Top - End - #53

Ok second question. I was gonna edit but you answered fast. Ok per Raw it looks like at capstone the SI can take "one 5ft step". Since this SI was written long before 10ft or better steps and multiple steps, are we assuming anything that alters a 5ft step works fine with the SI or are we sticking to a single 5ft step?
    Iron chef accomplishments
    Czar Hail tied for 2nd

Games I'm in
    Amonkhet: Trials of the Gods

Awesome avatar by Linklele! - currently seeking new avatar!

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Scrapped

Also I'm probably going to build something. I don't know if I will enter it depending on how it pans out. Chairman can I make a rule question through pm that would probably spoil to much if I make it here?
    Last edited by thethird; 2014-04-18 at 02:29 PM.
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

25. - Top - End - #55
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thethird View Post
    Unfortunately I don't think that would fly. The sources of "10 ft" steps I can think of are 3.0 and the prc is 3.5.
    Without addressing whether 10' steps should be allowed, could you clarify why the 10' step source being 3.0 should be an issue, in this case? This competition's stated rules and general standards say that 3.0 material that hasn't been updated to 3.5 are explicitly legal.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56

Just so everyone knows, you should post questions like this in this thread as it kinda is speculation and gives away build ideas. The best thing to do is to PM the Chairman and ask him directly.

Show
    LVII Bronze Adlib

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arkangel111 View Post
    Since this SI was written long before 10ft...
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Without addressing whether 10' steps should be allowed, could you clarify why the 10' step source being 3.0 should be an issue, in this case?
    I was addressing the justification of the class not accounting for 10ft steps because it predates them. Sorry if I was unclear
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

<Frankenstein>Build speculation and fire BAD! PM Questions to Chair Man GOOD!</Frankenstein>
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

29. - Top - End - #59

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Deadline View Post
    <Frankenstein'sMonster>Build speculation and fire BAD! PM Questions to Chair Man GOOD!</Frankenstein'sMonster>
    Fixed that for ya.

30. - Top - End - #60

Why this SI Kuulv, why?