New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: A Journey through the Witherlands

With Angharad seeking medical aid in the 'Combs and Therros caught up in some back-alley shenanigans, Audriel is the only one present when the town meeting comes to order.
    A prominent Thoran gentleman, a dwarf in an embroidered cloak, stands up from the head table and catches everyone's attention. He speaks in Ansin, though the first few sentences are nothing but pomp and recognition for himself and other high-ranking members of the Thoran council. He points out the Grandmasters and Masters of every devotion, and a few of the esteemed visitors, including a "Lady Isabeau" of Seryn.
    He then goes on into a recounting of the day's events, primarily centered on the cave-in and the rescued children. He prompts everyone to raise their drink in toast to the brave Thorans who risked their life for the children's safety, and for a moment of silence on behalf of the departed. He seems either oblivious or unaware of the role played by several foreigners during the debacle, but no one steps up to correct him. A few Thorans pat Audriel firmly on the shoulder, in thanks for her service.
    The last part of his speech is the most interesting. He clears his throat and then describes a dire situation. East of Thoros, and south of the city of Seryn, an army is being raised. There are suspicions that the army is comprised of Loggai warriors, but scouts report a great number of monstrous beasts and inhuman monstrosities among the ranks. He describes ogres, ghouls, and shape-shifters among a few of the more exotic creatures spotted in the gathering army.
    As he speaks, a great number of Thorans stand and protest, demanding action and rallying others to the idea of war. The dwarf raises his hands to quell the crowd, before continuing. Thoros has agreed to give aid to Seryn, in exchange for additional food and medicine over the next year. Thoros will send a great deal of weapons, higher quality than anything found in Seryn, as well as a group of volunteer soldiers to both lead and follow Seryn commanders. Any Thoran wishing to depart is welcome to do so, with permission from his Master. Outsiders are also welcome to join, and need no special allowances to do so.
    Thoros itself has little reward to give those who agree to march, and Seryn has even less. However, they can promise enough rations for the journey and the return trip, and can grant medical assistance to the families of any who agree to march.
    The dwarf then announces that they will begin taking a log of all Thorans wishing to march, with their families and devotions also recorded. They will also list all outsiders who join in the fight, and promise to send word to your home settlements for any who agree to assist them.
    There is a great murmuring in the crowd, as hundreds of Thorans begin to argue and debate about who should or shouldn't be allowed to sign up. Someone jokingly prompts Audriel to sign up, before another Thoran slaps him and tells him to show some respect. Apparently her status has been elevated to a more respected guest, as a result of her rescue efforts for the Thoran children.

Meanwhile, Angharad finds a simple cleric filing away some notations and grabbing some texts. The priest seems mildly perterbed at the interruption, and mentions getting ready for the journey. As best Angharad knows, there's not to be another caravan for at least a week.
    The priest takes a moment to examine her injuries, before whispering a quiet prayer and filling the wounds with golden light. The injuries mend, and Angharad is none the worse for wear. The little gnomish healer doesn't even seem to notice Coli at first, though after the healing has been performed he then inspects the wolf, obviously expecting the animal to have come to more harm than the owner.
    When all that's done, the gnome tries to dismiss Angharad hastily, asking that he be left alone so preparations for "the journey" might be made.

The thugs in the hidden room chuckle at Therros' response. They correct him, and explain their plan with a little more detail. As the orc speaks, it quickly becomes obvious that he doesn't so much have a plan, as more of a scattered idea.
    Spoiler: Kerran
    Show
    "Dere be an army marshin' nort o' Loggai right now, what's got Seryn all in a fuss, ya'see? Dey done sent a con-voy 'ere to Thoros, hopin' we'll sen' 'em some weapons 'n soldiers 'n such. I figgure da' boss-man gonna' do it too, which is jus' fine fer me an' mine, ya'know?
    He takes a swig of strong lichor from a flask on his belt, and then offers Therros a draw as well.
    Show
    "We dunno wha's gonna' happen if'n Thoros 'n Seryn fight Loggai, but we know there'll be lots o' lootin when it's all done... win, lose, 'r draw. We also know ain't nobody got more chow 'den Seryn, more weapons 'den Thoros, and more power 'den Loggai. Azhuri got 'dat magic, and Horvos wit' dat money, and you 'kin bet ole' Seryn gonna be askin' them fo' help, too.
    Well, dat's a lot o' lootin tae be done, and we'll be needin' plenny o' hands to carry it all back, ya'see? It ain't so much 'at we ain't got tha' space ta carry it all, but rather that wit' all the mucky-mucks runnin' 'round, even thae best o' us gon' have a hard time ketchin' a break ta' palm a few bits. So, we sen' a couple extra hands along wit' tha reinforcements, wit' tha notion o' bringin' back some goodies fer sellin' an' tradin. I think you'd make a nice addition ta' tha' posse, since yer small, smart, and not likely to be missed 'round here."
    My Homebrew and Extended Signature
    Current avatar: Charza Sahlaren, by gr8artist

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy to gather info (1d20+9)[14] for (1d4)[3] hours.

As the threat of war looms, Audriel thinks of the children she helped rescue... How they've known nothing but conflict since their young lives began. She hears the jokes about lending aid against the armies gathering, but... A notion takes root in her mind. That maybe, she might be able to help enough that they can cut a swath through so many twisted and deformed soldiers, maybe she could figure out more about the withering happening to the world through their corpses.

Resolved to action once more, she starts making her way through the crowd, asking people about who will go to fight, and how and when they will leave, and where she could be properly outfitted for a military expedition. She particularly looks for a more intelligent or wise group who sign up to go fight, looking to join with them herself more than with any brutish thugs.

3. - Top - End - #153

Angharad is relieved that the little man treats Coli humanely and does not shy away. But he seems a bit impatient.

There are not a lot of healers in town. Why is he leaving? Angharad tilts her head to the side, looking at the gnome, "Given the strife this town sees regularly, why would they be sending a healer on a journey?"

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Therros

The boggart was quiet as the orc talked, sharing the drink with a nod of thanks as he listened to what the big rogue had to say. Looked like these blokes were intent on taking advantage of an upcoming conflict between Loggai and Seryn ... a conflict that could explode into full nation warfare if the others took side and joined in. Looting a battlefield or two was one thing; trying to gather items of value from war-torn countries was something else entirely.

Still, better to be on the neutral side then caught up in the fighting. Besides, wasn't this the kind of in he'd been looking for.

Show
    "Say I'm in ... what're you lookin' for on the shake? Straight fee or percentage? Who gets first dibs? Who's the fence? All important info t'hash out before temper's flare.

Also, what's the cover? Packmules and valets? Advisors? Or combatants?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Sorry for the delay ... forgot we're not waiting on nearly as many people!
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

5. - Top - End - #155

The details of the expedition are quickly being shared by many of the Masters. A small force of professionals will leave Thoros at dawn in two days (it is evening now). That gives them one whole day to make preparations and say goodbyes before departing. The force will take a large variety of weapons and armor as a gift to Seryn, and will bring back medicine and food after the battle. The route will be predominantly south-east, through the upper portion of Garl territory, in hopes of cutting off the attacking force before it actually reaches Summervale (the thriving forest above Seryn). There is a ruined city, the place that was Seryn before the Withering, that should make a decent defensible outpost.
    Any Thorans wishing to participate should receive the blessing of their Master before enlisting, to prove that they have reached sufficient skill to be of use. The Undevoted, such as foreigners, are free to enlist as they see fit. All who enlist will be properly outfitted from among the weapons and armor being sent.
    Audriel quickly finds out that she'll be most welcome to travel alongside representatives of the Devotion of Quills or Devotion of Bone. The two will be working closely together to discuss history and Loggan strategies, and will be administering most medical aide outside of combat.

The little man Angharad is addressing seems mildy perturbed. "They're sendin' a lot of us, lass. Healers, soldiers, strategists... Seryn ain't got no army to speak of, and Skyborne knows they'll be needin' all the help they can get. Now, if you're plannin' to sign up, go speak to one of the masters about it. Either way, leave me be and let me get my affairs in order."

The brutish orc and his troublemaking companions chuckle heartily at Therros' inquiry. He takes another swig of lichor as one of his associates steps forward to explain. This man seems to be a wiry elf, though he has a strange discoloration around his hands and ankles. His mottled gray skin seems to be died with black ink in his extremities, and one of his eyes is a strange color. Half of his hair is a ghostly silver, and his smile is lopsided, like a man suffering from a stroke.
    Show
    "Thar' ned bee noh talk o' shack 'r fees, naow. We dah thin's s'mpul roun' 'ere. If ja' get anytin' what ja' like, ja kip 't. Ifn' ja' don', ya' shar wat ja' got wit' da' res o' us. Lik'wise, we shar what we don' want wit' ju, 'afore we go swappin' if for sometin' from ah v'ndorman.
    Ja' won' need no covah. Dey's takin' ery'body fool 'nuff tah' sign on. Ja' ain' got nah D'voshun tae worry wit', so ja' don' need nah masser tae sign off'n 't. Jus' tell'm ja' wanna' 'elp, and dey'll put'ja on da' lis'.
    Me an' Ruje (he gestures toward another orc, younger and slimmer than the first but with two curved swords on his hips) be' comin' alon', so ja' won' need worry 'bout trav'lin alun'."

The elf's accent is so strong its almost unintelligible. You can't recognize it as belonging to any of the 8 "civilized" colonies, though you do recall hearing a Horvan merchant with a similar dialect.
    Last edited by gr8artist; 2014-07-19 at 05:44 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

Audriel seeks out the Devotion of Bones, hoping she can continue to lend healing aid to those who need it. The battle earlier reminded her that she is fairly weak an ineffective when it comes to fighting, so she takes some time to figure out the approximate "worth" of the favor she has earned, especially amongst the Bones. She particularly tries to find any types of wands she might use during any future fighting to help through spellcasting rather than sheepishly swinging a spear.

After talking some more to various Bones' members, she asks about what she needs to do yet before they ship out.

"I do not carry many possessions, and am ready to go at a moments notice... but what else can I do in the mean time to assist? I have a particular knack for knowledge if anyone could use assistance in that manner..." she says quietly to someone higher up in the Devotion.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Therros

The boggart watched the strange elf, wondering what the man's deal was. He hadn't seen anything like him in his travels ... but stranger than his appearance was his speech! It reminded him of someone ... was it that Horvan merchant a few years back? Ah yes ... that was it. Not quite the same, but very similar. Listening closely to what the man said, he nodded, more to himself than anyone else. Spoken like a merchant vice a thief.

Show
    "Fair enough. I ken the deal ... take a fair share and share the fare. But before I take a trip, what're the names in this game? Heard he's Ruje ... but I dunno you two.

I'm Therros."

He pointed to the big orc and the elf. It seemed like it was well beyond time to share a little information with each other.

Show
    Nothing much ... just updating for Therros!
    Last edited by Starbin; 2014-07-22 at 01:19 PM.

8. - Top - End - #158

More confused, Angharad digs in her pocket and pulls out the token she got in the battle. She leaves the poor man to his preparations, then heads back toward the town meeting. Something this is bound to be talked about.

Leaving Coli outside due to the crowd, she steps inside and looks around for members of the Devotion of Steel. Hopefully, one of them can fill her in.

9. - Top - End - #159

It doesn't take Angharad long to find someone who can fill her in on the recent news. Thoros will be launching a military force to aid Seryn against a Loggan army coming up from the south. It will be a long journey, and so they have been given a day to make preparations and gather supplies. Anyone who can help with a battle-type scenario is being prompted to sign up for the excursion.
    One of the soldiers helps her make sense of the steel coin. "It's a favah, miss. Means you did summone a great service, an they wanna show they 'ppreciation. Yah retun it when ya know what ya might want, or ya trade it to summone else for somethin' else. That favah there is from Ser Jolin o'Brey, a tough lookin' dwaf with a big scah right here." He indicates a vertical line from his temple to collarbone. "He don' give 'em out very offen, though, so it prolly wasn't him who give it to yah. Mose like summone else from my Devotion, Steel. If yah don' want the trouble o' trackin down ole Jolin, I'd be happy to make yah a trade. I got a bunch o' wandrin' gear when I signed on for tha Devotion o' Steel. My uncle was a ranger, ya see, and he figgured I'd be goin' and doin' like he done. But I ain't had a chance yet, an I figure what he give me ought ta be a fair trade, no? I got a survival kit and stuff ta help 'gainst poison, and this fancy lookin' glass fer seein far away." He holds up a bronze tube, half a foot in length and with several glass discs inside.
    "Whatcha' say, pal? Fair trade?"

Therros' companions are lighting up nicely as he seems to be interested in their plan. The elf with the strange discolorations speaks up again.
    "I's Elwerin, Clan Gol'cassle fromma' lake. No' tha' werthy ti'tles bae meenin shuck 'roun 'ere. I seed mo' o' tha top than an'one 'roun 'ere, 'speshly these moss-eatin' m'ngruls wit' they fans' 'votions 'n all. Wanner tha Eas' an' tha oshun, I tell ja' dis."
    The orc stepped up and muttered something about uppity Horvans and their lyin' schemin' teeth. Elwerin shot him a glance, but stepped back in deference without a word. The jovial orc spoke plainly as he took another swig of lichor.
    "I'm Bruhma, no clans 'r lakes 'r jabberjawin'. Me ole' man were a smit', and me mum jus' a 'hore. Got more o' me dad than me mum, er'yone says, 'specially tha ladies what get a look at me iron, yeah?" He pauses to laugh and take another hearty swig. He seems to share out of obligation, but his pulls are nearly three times as strong as his comrades'.
    "Therros, I 'ave ta say I dinnae care fo' dat name, 'gonna get me and the mates confused, what wit' all Elwi's fancy talk and Cussah's missin' teeth. Ya need a street name, shika, and I thin' I know jus' thae one... Charack!" He laughs heartily and elbows his companions, who seem to be stifling snickers.
    Elwerin' leans in close and whispers, "Means 'Baetle', like 'em bigguns dow' below what thae scorps cannae stin'. Shell's too 'ard, ya'see, an' tha' poka's jus' keep booncin' off."
    Bruhma, still laughing, motions with his hand. Ruje steps up with a strange, abnormally bright candle. He pulls out a small dark coin, much like the one Bruhma had given to Therros earlier in the day. He held it between Therros and the candle, so as to reveal the disc's purpose to him.
    Etched within the glass was a symbol, something like an eye with an X in the middle.
    "Don' show no one what don' rec'nize it. There be a few in e'ry city ya come to what'll ask to look at it in tha light like I's doin' now. Let 'em, and they maybe gon' give ya a han' wit anytin' ya need. You'll have ta pay, o'course, but it's bettah than bein' high 'n dry, yeah?"

The Devotion of Bone seems to be getting along just fine without Audriel's help, but they thank her for her offered assistance anyway. Her inquiries about the favor don't take long at all.
    "Lady Aenira is a revered healer in our Devotion. She has studied the blight far more than most, despite her frailness and inherent susceptibility to it. She is generous and kind, and her favors are frequent, though always well deserved.
    "She is no master, only an experienced member of our city, so there is a limit to what such a favor is worth. In person, I'm sure she could impart knowledge to you of her studies and fears. No doubt this was her intention, as she and you are of the same stock, and she likely fears that you would suffer the same weakness that afflicts her. However, if you have something particular in mind, a 'wand' I believe you were asking for, I think that I can procure one for you. She has made many for the betterment of our people, and I'm sure she would not object to the exchange. We also have enchanted symbols, made from the bones of revered teachers, that could be of great use to you."
    A rather gruff boggart strolls by, interrupting the conversation with a huff. "Bone 'n stone 'ore o' gold, tha's all anyone 'roun here talks about. We go's a war ta fight, an' we's gonna' need all tha' 'lixers 'n medicines we can get our bony little han's on. Stop worryin' 'bout tha' worth o' some ol' piece o' skull and get busy 'elpin' a bubblah' fill some bottles, jah? Help enough, I'll even give ja' some o' me own bloody 'lixers ta take on ya journey wit' jah."
    He storms off to direct some alchemy students in their efforts. The elven lass you'd been speaking to is apologetic. "Please forgive Gimmuk. He's older than iron and just about as personable. If you'd like, I could keep an eye out for Lady Aenira, and inform her of your location if you'd like to give the apprentices a hand. Or, if you'd like to make use of that knack you mentioned, perhaps you wouldn't mind taking a look over some of our old texts and seeing if you can help compile the protection spells the travelers will need."

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

"Yes well.. Then. Protection spells you say? I have some experience too with rituals so maybe I CAN be of some serious aid there... What have you got?" she asks of the old texts, hoping between her magical knowledge and her knack for languages, maybe she could be of assistance enough to earn more favors.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Therros

The boggart nodded at the introductions, committing their faces and names to memory. When Bruhma gave him a nickname, he simply nodded and smiled, stealing the joke away.
    Show
    "Yup, I'm hard as rock and slippery as crap through a drakka. Charack it is.""

He nodded to the instructions for the coin, and waited to see what was next.

Show
    Ready to press.

12. - Top - End - #162

Angharad's estimation of the token's worth rose significantly once she saw what the man was offering her for it. Admittedly she could use the equipment. Ultimately, she decided she would discuss this with the dwarf.

"Thank you for your explanation of the token. I think I would like to see what Jolin might offer for it. I have several errands that will take me out and about preparing for the journey, so I may be able to track him down. "

13. - Top - End - #163

Flipping through the old books takes Audriel quite a bit of time; lore is a rare and valuable asset and many of the ideas and notations have not yet been compiled or correlated. Hundreds of pages of environmental descriptions, flora and fauna diagrams, and cultural stigma have to be passed before you are able to glean anything about miasma protection.
    Of Seryn's protection, you can find practically nothing. Only a reference to the "Summer Oak" which you know of as something of a holy location at the center of Seryn. One author has listed some suspicions about the yearly miasma warding and crop protection ritual held in Seryn just before the planting season. He mentions the Summer Oak's roots, a guarded door, and a strong conflux of magic, though he has no concrete evidence or ideas.
    Horvos protection is all personal, with the most powerful ward at their disposal barely covering a single cart. There are many suspicions that the Horvos wards are flawed, however, as they do not seem to protect animals as thoroughly as they do the merchants, and many Horvos caravans come to a grinding halt when their oxen or horses die.
    Garl protection is a gruesome mess, involving sacrifices of blood and flesh on a nightly basis. Their protection, however, easily protects an entire campsite, and may be the most fitting for a military excursion such as this one.
    Azhuri has no miasma wards of its own, but one author theorizes that a conversion of magical power may be possible; that at its core most miasma wards are divine in nature but that an arcane variant could be developed.
    There is no knowledge of the southern colonies here, or how they deal with the miasmic forces when they travel. Thoros is also clueless regarding magical wards, preferring solid walls and safety over exposure and risk.
    With so many different routes to pursue, you have a choice for what you'd like to study at this time.

The small band of troublemakers disperses, with many of the scoundrels approaching "Charack" and offering advice or insult. Strangely, Therros begins to get the idea that the insults are a backward form of compliment, as each rogue that gives him advice seems to do so with a tone that indicates doubt at his qualifications or talent. It would seem that his invitation was not unanimous, and that some might harbor ill feelings about it.
    Ruje, Bruhma, and Elwerin all linger after the others have gone. Bruhma continues drinking, and Ruje makes a few jokes with him, mostly about his alcoholism. Only Elwerin seems to be down to business.
    "Is anythin' ja' wan' know 'bou de to'side? I be in ma' bunk tonigh', 'roun Ol'barrah' way nea' de Comes, gath'rin' me thin's fo de jurneh'. Ja' can come jabbah' if ja' nee', o' go see if ja' can roun' up som' swag 'n get tha' mates ta' like ja' a lil' mo'."
    With that, he departs, leaving the three of you alone in the small room. Bruhma lets out a deep laugh, and Ruje makes a calculated, almost cunning grin. Ruje gestures toward Therros with a dispassionate wave.
    "Come at it, Charack, boss man gon' show us him knife c'lection. Say he gon' give ja' one as a bit o' welc'min' gif', if'n ja' can beat him at a lil' game."
    Ruje and Bruhma then begin making their way up into the Forge.

The elven man Angharad had been speaking to bows his head politely at her refusal.
    "Fair 'nuff, miss. Offah' stands if'n ya change yer mind. I gots patrol duty tonight, so ya can catch me in the Maw tonight, if ya need. Yer best chance o' findin' ole Jolly is lookin' round the fancy tables up at that end o' the meetin'. He's a master, ya see, so he don't mill around with the riff-raff when there's 'ficial business to be got to."
    With that, the elf gets to making some kind of wager with a friend of his. They seem to be betting on "strikes" in what appears to be a simple sparring game. In a short time, they will likely begin the competition, with the one who most accurately guessed the number of strikes winning the pot.
    Gambling on a lucky outcome is a taboo in Thoros, but wagers on games of skill or martial talent are commonplace. This is, however, the first time you've seen such an occurrence in your time here.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

Audriel again speaks after her research, saying "I believe I'll be seeing Lady Aenira whenever she can see me now. I have something... Some... Idea perhaps. But I need more research. However, if you could have it informed to her that I may be able to create a new way to fight off the miasma using arcane research, I think she'd want to know more about this right away!"

15. - Top - End - #165

In this mixed race crowd, one dwarf might be hard to locate however, a master may not. Thankfully Coli is not around in this mess.

Angharad starts walking toward the other end of the room. The energy of the crowd jostles her the entire way putting her on edge. Once she gets close, she starts looking for a dwarf with a scar along the side of his head.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Therros / Charack

As the group continued to poke fun and sling insults, Therros began to understand ... it was more of a right of passage, and perhaps feelings of inadequacy. While not necessarily a full compliment, it was probably not nearly as 'personal' as he had originally thought. However, there were a number of folks that seemed a bit bitter and resentful about his invitation to the group. He shrugged away the thought ... he planned on keeping his eyes open and making sure none of those naysayers had either cause to doubt the decision, nor opportunity to take it out on him.

To Elwerin's comments, he shook his head.
    Show
    "Not sure I've got anything yet. I need t'know the lay of this cesspool ... who the movers and shakers are ... find out who groks who, and who to cross the street for. I'll come find ya, if'n I need more kin ..."

When Ruje mentioned the game, Therros' eyes lit up.
    Show
    "I'm up ... just need ta know the score. Don't wancha cheatin' me this early in the evenin'"
    He was interested in learning whatever game they had, but Ruje's look gave him a cautious concern to not get in over his head. No need to have these two set him up for failure ... especially if Ruje was one of the ones that didn't want him in the club ...

Regardless, he followed the two towards the Forge, wondering what game they had in mind.

17. - Top - End - #167

The elven devotee Audriel was talking to seems eagerly excited by her comment. "That's fantastic. Of course, of course I'll let her know as soon as I see her. Do you need any assistance with your research? We have a few apprentices who might be able to assist you, though their own knowledge is lacking. I would offer services myself, but I've already agreed to work on potion production tonight."

Angharad spots the dwarf at one of the smaller tables. He's obviously a gruff individual, wearing heavy armor even in the safety of his home city. He appears unarmed, however, and is violently jabbing at a map on the table. A lean Tiefling is standing across from him, two reddish horns accentuating his receding hairline. He is arguing with the dwarf, and as you get closer you can make out some of their discussions.
    "We'll need more men than that if we're going up against GIANTS, Jolin. At least a dozen archers, two if we're not getting the bronzewood bows. And you're going to have to convince Albar to part with some of his spellblades, espers know we can't go up against the undead and hellspawn that Loggai could call to arms without a bit of magic at our side."
    "Blast yer magic and bugger yer bronzewood, lad. Giants 'n hellspawn alike drop just fine when ya cleave their ruddy heads off. 'Less yer worried ya might find a hydra, ya already got all tha' tools ya need."
    "Jolin, be reasonable. Garl hasn't attacked our city in months; the odds of another encounter while we are away are quite slim. Our best weapons are better served where the fighting is, not held up in the armory here in hopes that danger will strike."
    "Ha, spoken like a Tiefer, cunning as legends say. I've half a mind yer workin fer Loggai on tha sly, tryin' ta hand over summa tha best weapons in tha whole kingdom."
    "Do not denounce me for my blood, dwarf. I have fought by your side for a hundred fortnights; you have no claim to doubt my loyalty."
    "I can doubt the loyalty of anyone I think deserves it. Tiefer, Bogg'rt, or them sickly lookin' Ghul's we got runnin' round now. It ain't natural, what yer made of, and I'll be buggered to tha Void 'n back if ya think I'm droppin' my guard 'round you sneaky sons of troll-bait."
    In a flash, the tiefling draws a serpentine blade from his hip and plunges the point into the map as he stares into the dwarf's eyes. Dark red energy is pulsing around the curved dagger, and the paper is curling up as if to burn. Neither seems to have noticed Angharad yet, but both seem poised to come to violence.

"Game'sh shimple, Shika," the half drunk orc slurred, "It'sh a game o' shkill. Toshin' knivesh at eash 'udder. If 'a flinsh, da tosha gesh a poin'. If da tosha hi'sh 'a, ja gesh too poin'. Ja kinnae' closh ja' eyesh or da tosha get da poin', 'lesh ja' da tosha, den ja' double da poin'. We shpin' da knavesh befo' da fro, fer sheein' who toshin' at who. We take turmsh shpinnin, an da' firsh to ten poin'sh ish da' winna. He getsha' keep whatava' knife he wan'sh..." He pauses and turns to Ruje. "Rooj, whassa' I'm gon' get if'n I win? I'sh my knivesh we playin' wit'."
    Ruje chuckles and grins slightly. "IF you win, me 'n Charack gon' go steal a pretty favah' an give it ta' ja, from anybody ja' want. Sound fair?" He shoots a questioning glance at Therros, as if to see if the boggart was on-board with his plan. "We play dis game all tha' time, Charack. It's kinda' like 'nitiation fer new club members. Whaddya' say?"

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

"Well... Actually..." she starts awkwardly, "I DO need something. But it's a bit weird to ask. Are there any boggart or ghul'mar who could assist me? I think I might need to do a bit of research on the effects of the withering on them..."

19. - Top - End - #169

Angharad watched the escalating tension with quite a bit of concern. She interrupts before the two actually come to blows,"If you injure each other, you will weaken each force by the loss of your passion, leadership and prowess. Are there other sources for the armaments so we do not reduce the armory over much?"

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show

(1d20+5)[23]

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Therros / Charack

Therros considered the orc for a moment, knowing full well that this was part of the test, too. Would the boggart agree to a knife throwing contest with a drunk orc? Was winning worth it at the cost of take a knife to the forehead? Hell, he could win and end up dying in a pool of his own blood ... all for the sake of some macho gang initiation. It was things like this that always raised questions of leadership. But perhaps there was more to it than this. Maybe Bruhma wasn't as drunk as he seemed, trying to sway Therros one way or another.

After just a moment, he grinned and nodded.
    Show
    "Aye, blade slingin' kin be fun, fer sure. But one o' your blades could prob'ly cut off my arm. So win or lose, you pay for healin', right?"

21. - Top - End - #171

Audriel's elven companion seems a bit perplexed. "We, uh, we do have a ghul'mar apprentice, Keighan. I'm afraid I do have to ask, however... What manner of investigation do you intend to perform? I do need to make sure that everyone involved remains healthy and well..."
    As she speaks, she waves a hand to attract the attention of an apprentice. She then points at another who had his back to her. The attentant student tapped Keighan lightly on the shoulder and prompted him to turn around. Keighan is young and athletic, but he still possesses the sickly coloration and receding hairline of his kin. His eyes are set in deep, dark sockets that give him a brooding look, and there seems to be a bruise or burn on his cheek that's not healing right.

Angharad is successful in breaking up the fight... though perhaps not in the way she'd intended. Both Thorans turn upon her angrily, each one barking at her and putting her down. Then they argue with each other for a few moments, about which one has the right to reprimand you, and the argument finally, eventually, boils down. The dwarf is the first to speak, and his tone is now more mocking or disciplinarian than civil.
    "Lookeh' here, lass. We don' need no foreign whip-snapper comin' in 'ere an' tellin' us how to run tha strongest milit'ry the Great Plains's ever seen. Why don't youa' bugger off an' leave tha strategizin' to tha real soldiers? We all pitch in an' put our best works in tha' arm'ry. Short a' conjurin' more blades 'n bows outta' thin air, what we got is what we got."
    The tiefling speaks next, obviously a little more shrewd than his companion. "You look to be from Seryn way, are you intending to travel along with the expedition? Perhaps your insights would be better spent in the field, as we near the battle-site? As to the armaments, I'm afraid dear Jolin is correct. Most citizens of Thoros possess their own arms and armor for personal use, but as to the weapons we can distribute between the soldiers staying here and the soldier departing, we have but a single well-stocked armory."

Therros asks a fairly straight-forward question, though the response is quite unlike what he was expecting. Ruje begins to chuckle and shake his head, while Bruhma bellows out a hearty laugh at the top of his lungs.
    "Whajja' mean, 'pay fer it'? We livin' in Thorush, ain' we? All 'ja gotta' do 'sh walk up to da' Combsh or Oldbarrash 'n show 'em ja' woundsh. Dey heal ju' fer nuttin', though ifn' itsh sherioush, ju mi' wanna' give 'em a favah, 'lesh dey be 'fended."
    The motley trio round another corner, stepping into a dark house in the Forge. Neither of the orcs bothers to light a candle as they stroll into the larger room and pull a heavy chest away from the wall. Bruhma pulls a key from inside his tunic and opens the lock. As he lifts the top of the chest, a faint light begins to fill the room as Bruhma pulls out several of his knives. One of them is glowing faintly, and the blade is engraved with some kind of strange symbols.
    Last edited by gr8artist; 2014-08-04 at 11:37 AM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

"I'm not actually sure myself. I should hope it wouldn't be ANY harm. All I'm sure of is that they have taken part of the Withering into themselves and not died from it... And as such, a similar protection for the rest of us... Maybe, maybe it'll be as simple as observation? More likely though I might need a blood sample, of which I can heal back up most likely. If it's any more invasive than that, I won't proceed..."

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Therros / Charack

The boggart nodded, as if in embarrassment. However, what he learned was more than just free healing was available ... the respons from Bruhma was coherent ... maybe a little too coherent for someone who was drunk. He followed the orcs into their hidden room, never complaining about walking in the dark. Once inside, he watched Bruhma pull out several knives, once of which glowed. It made sense that the orc wouldn't chance loosing something that was possibly magical to inebriation ... not unless he was either very confident or a stupid drunk.

He waited to see how this played out, uncertain how they picked knives and the like ...

Show
    Waiting to see how the rest of it proceeds, but ready to play. Therros will try to decipher the runes, if they are of any language he knows ...need a roll?

Also, what are the mechanics for the game? What AC are we trying to hit to get close? Are we making will checks to avoid flinching, with penalties for proximity? How do we not die with two (or one) unlucky shot? Just curious

24. - Top - End - #174

Angharad waits watching the byplay between the men with amusement. A small smile betrays her thoughts. She waits through their reprimand with a twinkle in her eye. She chooses to set aside the conflict between them as it seems it rages endlessly.

She nods to the tiefling, "I suspect I am bound for Seryn. But, I have been distracted from preparations for such a journey by the consequenses of the battle against the vermin this morning. It seems I have recieved a valuable token and was suggested you might know it's worth."

She reveals the Soldier's token in her hand.

25. - Top - End - #175

Keighan steps up beside his teacher as Audriel is speaking. He seems to have caught bits and pieces of what she said, but he is unsure of their context or what they could mean to him. He speaks politely, with a hoarse rasp in his voice.
    "Greetin's, miss. I'm Apprentice Keighan, Devotion o' Bone, as I'm sure you know. Is there... something I can help you with?"
    His elder places a gentle hand on his shoulder. "This is Audriel. She helped rescue the children this evening, and is considering embarking on the expedition to Seryn. She is trying to develop a better protection from the miasma, and thinks that by studying you, she might glean some better understanding. Am I correct, Lady Audriel?"

As Therros defaulted, waiting for an explanation, Ruje stepped in to explain the rules in better detail. He pulled the box of weapons toward a small table at one end of the room. The table had a 12-pointed star engraved into it, deeply enough to be easily evident even in the dark.
    "We space ourselves 'round the table, even like, ya see?" He gestured at 3 chairs spaced evenly around the table. "Then we take turns spinnin' knives. Ya' can pick any knife ya' want, an' when yer done ya put it back in tha' box. Normally, we draw 'em blind. Once ya' got yer knife, ya spin it in the middle o' tha' table. Whoever it points at stands over there, other side o' tha room, facin' this way. Then ya' step o'er here, on this moldy 'scuse fer a rug, 'n throw it yonder. Now, yer tryin' ta hit that wall, not the bloke standin' front of it, ya follow?" He whips a dagger out of the box and flicks it toward the far wall with surprising grace. "It needs ta' land b'tween tha' beams ya see there, or it's a miss. After yer throw, we tally up points. First ta 10 wins."
    He then pauses to retrieve his knife. "Points is as follows... Ya hit tha wall wit a blin'fold on, ya get 2 points. Hit it normal, ya only get one. Hit yer buddy, tha' target, an' he gets 2 points. If ya' got a blindfold on, he get 4 instead. If ya' hit tha' wall an' he flinch, ya get a point. If ya' hit tha wall blin'folded and he flinch like a bussa, ya get 2 points. If tha' target close his eyes when ya' throw, ya' get a point if ya' don' hit him. Lastly, ifn' tha target gets points, he can choose to make tha' tossa' lose them points instead. That's all fer scorin, and we'll spin tha knife to see who tossin' first."
    Ruje takes a simple curved knife from the box and sets it on the table. After everyone sits, he spins it vigorously. After a few moments, it comes to a stop with the point aimed at Therros.
    Bruhma chuckles, and Ruje scoffs with a hint of jealousy. Apparently Therros is the first to throw.

Angharad suddenly elicits a drastically different response. The Tiefling looks at the favor for a moment before bursting apart with laughter, red tears nearly running down his face. The dwarf, however, does not find the situation humorous. He roars angrily, stammering two or three times in protest, and growing more and more flustered when the Tiefling offers him no assistance.
    Finally, the gruff dwarf drops heavily into his chair, glaring at the favor and the woman that holds it. "I dinnae where ya' got it, lass, but rest assured if I fin' out you stole it, there'll be hell-an-a-half ta pay. Yer holdin' one o' me own favors, an' bes' I recall, I only give out half a dozen 'r so in the three 'r four decades I been risin' up tha' ranks o' this Devotion."
    He slowly removes his gauntlets, to reveal calloused leathery hands and scraped, dirty knuckles. His voice seethes with impatience as he asks, "What is it yer after?"
    Last edited by gr8artist; 2014-08-06 at 08:26 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

"that's correct" Audriel greets the man warmly. "And with your help I'd like to see if I can't save quite a few more people actually. I have a hypothesis that a cure, or more likely, a vaccine for the miasma might be present in your body. Keighan was it? I don't want you to feel like this is an order. Nobody should be forced to give up their own sovereign body unless they chops it to be so. But what I require are some samples. Some skin, some hair, a little blood. With your samples, and a bit of alchemical tinkering, I plan on cross referencing some effects of the miasma on you as compared to with various other species... And draw some correlations between the divine protection we currently see, your natural protection, and, perhaps, maybe I can help create and arcane protection that might serve everyone better." she says, all rather quickly before realizing the poor apprentice is a bit over his head.

"Err. Your blood might hold the cure. Or at the very least might help others fight it off. May I take some samples?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Feels like the time for a Diplomacy(1d20+9)[10]

27. - Top - End - #177

Angharad adopts a provincial accent, "Well, you're right, I'm from Seryn, so I just don't understand your foreign ways. I got this token for my role in the attack against the insects down below, but I didn't have any idea what it was worth. Imagine my surprise when the person I asked about it offered an astonishing sum for it. I thought, mayhap I'd ask the originator of this token what he thinks it's worth."

She pauses for effect, then continues in her normal tone, "Although from your tone, it sounds like you think it's worth quite a lot. Imagine what this might be used for in the hands of a native with a better understanding of it's value."

"Say... your friend here"
    , she gestures toward the tiefling. "Now I do have some needs for provisioning for this journey and seeing how you're in charge of the armory, perhaps we should start there."

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Therros / Charack

Therros nodded, knowing that going first wasn't always the best position. This game required quite a bit of skill, and wasn't one that he was particularly adept at. However, the boggart had quick hands and reflexes, so he'd play it out. Besides, the real test wasn't winning or losing ... it was playing the game.

Closing his eyes, he reached into the box carefully and chose a knife, only opening them when he pulled the blade free. It was a well-made blade with excellent balance, designed for throwing. Setting the blade down, he flicked it, watching as it spun and spun, finally coming to rest with it's blade facing ... Ruje. He almost smirked, knowing the competitive orc was probably not going to like it.

Taking up his spot, he waited for Ruje to take a spot against the wall. Therros considered using the blind fold, but decided against it for the first throw. Best see what he could do with eyes wide open first. Taking a deep breath, he took hold of the dagger and eyed Ruje for a moment. Then with one fluid motion, he flung the blade towards the wall ...

Spoiler: See OOC
    Show
    Okie-day ... ranged BAB = +4. Dagger gives me +1. Size bonus +1. Outside the Point Blank range (probably on purpose ) so no bonus there. Range increment penalty is -6. That gives me a straight 0 bonus vs DC 11. Here's hoping! Dagger throw - (1d20)[2], Damage if necessary - (1d3-1)[1]

Wow, that's just about as horrible as you can get! So straight hit him ...

Go to this post for mechanics!

EDITED for mechanics!
    Last edited by Starbin; 2014-08-07 at 03:35 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179

Ruje yelps as the blade hits him squarely between two thick plates in his ragged leather armor. He shoots an evil glare at Therros and growls a low threat under his breath.
    "... bloody Shikka betta' watch wha' he's doin'."
    He then dumps the blade into the box and sits down. He pulls a small satchel from the back of a nearby chair and spills its contents onto the table. Twelve wooden pegs, each adorned with the head of a different animal, tumble out in a mess. Quickly, he snatches up a snarling panther and places the peg in a hole in front of his chair.
    In front of each chair or point of the star, there is a track of ten holes leading in toward the center of the table. This track seems to be the preferred method of tallying points; first to reach the middle of the table wins.
    Bruhma laughs a little as he fishes for a blade. He knicks himself, drawing a bit of blood and laughing playfully at the pain. He pulls out a well-balanced throwing knife, and spins it eagerly. Ruje comes up the victim, yet again, and he rolls his eyes as he pads toward the other side of the room to stand motionless against the wall.
    Bruhma seems to have a lot of talent, but he's reeling a little from all the lichor, and a few seconds later Ruje is digging another blade out of his armor and moving his peg two spaces further inward.
    "Bloody hell ya' sodden' knucka' dragga's! Can't eitha' of ya' throw betta' than a bussa!" He tosses the blade back into the pile before reaching in and choosing a new weapon. He pulls out a common throwing knife, and smirks as it spins and points at Therros.
    "Go on up, little man," he mutters with contempt.
    As Therros assumes his position, Ruje pulls back and then lets fly a wild toss with the otherwise elegant blade. His form seems to be pretty good, but Bruhma seems surprised when the knife barely glances off Therros' studded armor. Ruje growls angrily, though whether it's because he missed or he failed to draw blood, no one can say for certain.

Jolin begins to turn a deep, dangerous shade of crimson as his eyes lock onto Angharad's. "Yer jokes ain't funny, elf. You yungun's don' understand what it really means to owe summone a favor. I take me oaths an' me exchanges ser'ous, an' I suj'es you do tha same."
    The tiefling stops laughing long enough to respond to Angharad's threat. "Oh missy, I can't tell you how much I'd love to have that favor. I'd trade damn near anything I own for it, if only to have a legitimate vote when I really needed it."
    "Bugga's an' bollocks, you two 'r in cahoots! I shoulda' known yer ungrateful, evil hide was behin' this! I'll be damned if'n I let my favah' fall inta' tha hands o' some half-demon HELLSPAWN!" The dwarf slams his fist onto the table so hard that the wood cracks. "I've bilt that arsenal from tha' ground up, an' damn near half tha' weapons in it. Anythin' in there's yers if ya' give me my blasted fava' right NOW."

Keighan doesn't understand everything Audriel tells him, but he catches on when she summarizes.
    "Oh, certainly miss. Take whatever you need, I'd be thrilled to help. Should I gather a sample group of other students for your comparisons, or would you rather choose them yourself?"
    His teacher, however, still seems to have some concerns. "I would like to monitor the experiments, if I may. Perhaps to provide additional insight, or spot problems as they arise."
    Last edited by gr8artist; 2014-08-07 at 06:19 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

"Yes, that assistance sounds wonderful! Please gather as many different types as you can. ...and of course. By all means go right ahead. Is there anywhere that I might set up my alchemy equipment..?"