New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 44 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Pub: Off-topic chat for forum gamers

Pretty sure that's where I first threw it out there as I think that's the first game I ran.

Penguinator, pretty sure the fool thing was how I had it work too. *shrug*

2. - Top - End - #392
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    Penguinator, pretty sure the fool thing was how I had it work too. *shrug*
    We didn't have any explicitly Fool-ish characters in that game. I don't honestly know for your other games, but as far as I'm aware, that's something I added to mine after Center.

Not that it really matters.

Finally forced me into getting one of these.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    Unnnhh...
    (besides that nutty 2+2 place where even the quietest players need to post a billion times per day or they're lurking, apparently)
    No kidding. Reaverb, Internet Flea and I had an ongoing commentary for their recent championship game. After 700 pages, and 11,000 posts I felt burnt out just watching the whole sordid affair.

Well, if you enjoyed having some of the folks I brought over here play games with ya, I was thinking of getting more of us together to plan some more ambitious projects.
    Sounds like a plan. We really do need players.

Oh, and hello!
    Hey-o. Good to see you're still among the living.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantom View Post
    Hello Pizza. So, does anyone have advice on how to fix up the game I tried to run, the sailor moon one? I was clearly having something wrong.
    I don't think it was really you Phantom. I think you tried to start a game during a drought, coupled with a theme that isn't well loved. (I don't really give one wit either way in terms of themes, but it seems to matter to some people)

4. - Top - End - #394
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    I don't think it was really you Phantom. I think you tried to start a game during a drought, coupled with a theme that isn't well loved. (I don't really give one wit either way in terms of themes, but it seems to matter to some people)
    A thousand times this, Phantom.

There is a drought across 7 forums or so right now.

That is why, much as I'd like for every forum's culture to survive, we might consider sharing bodies.

The issue mainly is that what ends up happening is a bad reaction: Activity picks up briefly and there are players, BUT, then every host crawls out of the woodwork across all the forums and tries to host games everywhere. Then the players feel obligated to join a bunch of games on several fora.

And then burnout.

And then a worse drought.

We must be cautious. Games should be special events, not obligations.
    Fleeing Coward: "We're both agreed that Banjo and I should be the next 2 to die, why are you so desperate to lynch me over Banjo today?"
    Pizzaguy: "Because there is a void, an emptiness in my soul, from having killed poor Eldritch Knight. And I can fill that void with your corpse, and put my danged pizza back on my avatar."

Pizzaguy: "I'm gonna try and bane the folks you try to murder. It will be a fun game of cat and mouse."

Pizzaguy: "Mason, Baner, Seer, is not a coincidence."

5. - Top - End - #395
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

@ThePhantom: I didn't join personally because I think that was the point where I was busy being inactive. Also, I know nothing about Sailor Moon.

I think the biggest things about your games are that the Phantom series has too many power roles - games usually end up being a "how fast can the village network?" deal, and that's not any fun if you're a villager. Which looks like it had nothing to do with the Sailor Moon game, so that's an improvement.

The other thing is, I know you're a roleplayer, but your narrations don't reflect it as much as I would like. I recall a game where bladescape and I had a pair of rhyming characters who went on and on and on, and even had a scene where I planned to leave the theatre to go get a bite to eat. But when the narration in which I was killed came up, it was something like "and Penguinator was hit with a sword." No mention of my character, no mention of his name, no rhyming, no mention of anything that was relevant to the character and the roleplay at all. Which is really disappointing when you've spent that much time building up a character. The biggest thing is, I know you can write, so I'd like to see you challenge yourself more with the narrations. Maybe even come up with an original setting, that might make it easier. I know it's not easy, at least for me, to write new situations for (someone else's) pre-existing character.
    Last edited by Penguinator; 2014-12-19 at 08:55 PM.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Bugbear in the Playground

I was really busy at the time. I had to sneak that in between all the homework I had, so I didn't have the time to write something longer, and because there was the theme which was a mistake, as I'm not good at writing horror. That is not a good example of my narration.

As for making up something new, well, its not easy to hammer up new roles or fun rules. Plus, it seems that about three fourths of the time with the current group of players the setting doesn't matter as they focus on the logic and arguments instead of going with the narrative theme the game has. If it seems like the work is going to be ignored, why bother doing it?

7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground

The challenge then is to try and make a game where the thematic elements have some influence over the mechanical elements, without of course making a totally broken game.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

Blargh, hate double posting. Anyhow, interestingly I've already come up with an idea for such a game. But I'm probably not going to try and run it any time soon as AvatarVecna's game is still in recruiting and needs more players and I know C'nor and Penguinator want to run games too.

Edit: Pizza should hurry it up with getting us more people. (Clearly the entire burden falls on him since he brought the idea up.)
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2014-12-20 at 01:10 PM.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Well, how about this: What do you personally consider to have been the best game you've run? Maybe not even one you've run, but one that you had a great character, or played really well. What made it fun?

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Titan in the Playground

Phantom, pretty sure Penguinator was asking you there.

Pizza, your inbox is full.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Dwarf in the Playground

inbox empty.
    Fleeing Coward: "We're both agreed that Banjo and I should be the next 2 to die, why are you so desperate to lynch me over Banjo today?"
    Pizzaguy: "Because there is a void, an emptiness in my soul, from having killed poor Eldritch Knight. And I can fill that void with your corpse, and put my danged pizza back on my avatar."

Pizzaguy: "I'm gonna try and bane the folks you try to murder. It will be a fun game of cat and mouse."

12. - Top - End - #402
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinator View Post
    Well, how about this: What do you personally consider to have been the best game you've run? Maybe not even one you've run, but one that you had a great character, or played really well. What made it fun?
    Best game I ran was the second of the phantom games, because I had the time to write and a good group of players. The game I had the most fun with was Fears I, because that game had the most roleplaying of all the games I was in. So, it comes down to having good players, ones willing to not just use logic but explore the world presented in character.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    Edit: Pizza should hurry it up with getting us more people. (Clearly the entire burden falls on him since he brought the idea up.)
    I created a quicktopic which will link together the hosts and players of several different sites.

http://www.quicktopic.com/51/H/8scWuXjFu79u

I think a link to this qt will be a great idea for a sticky, but only if the idea takes off.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 2014-12-31 at 06:10 PM.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Dwarf in the Playground

I want to join more games, but school is starting soon and I'm afraid that I won't be able to commit enough time to even one game. Would it be a faux pas to post in the thread to get that little check mark, but not actually join the game?

15. - Top - End - #405
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmm?

If you mean the quicktopic I posted, you can post there- it's not a game signup sheet, it's more of a place for players from many sites to congregate in one spot.

One neutral.... zone, if you will.

A portal to the rest of the mafia universes, as it were.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sorry, I guess what I just posted was kind of a non sequitur. I meant a game on this forum, specifically WW Classic XVIII. I want to watch it, but I don't necessarily want to play because school etc. Except I really *do* want to play, I'm just worried about school eating up my time. EDIT: And making me miss entire day/night cycles.
    Last edited by Vwulf DeMarcus; 2015-01-03 at 02:40 AM. Reason: forgot a thing

17. - Top - End - #407
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vwulf DeMarcus View Post
    Sorry, I guess what I just posted was kind of a non sequitur. I meant a game on this forum, specifically WW Classic XVIII. I want to watch it, but I don't necessarily want to play because school etc. Except I really *do* want to play, I'm just worried about school eating up my time. EDIT: And making me miss entire day/night cycles.
    Suggestion: Be a reserve player. You'd replace someone who goes inactive. You can't do any worse than total inactivity, so this will be a step up for everyone, regardless of how well you do or how much you can participate.

And if that doesn't work....

Spoiler
    Show
    Force Suggestion: You will sign up as a reserve player now. *waves hand*

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vwulf DeMarcus View Post
    You can also just subscribe to the game thread without posting, so you can follow it whenever there is a new post. I believe the link is under the thread tools tab.
    Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ogre in the Playground

Popping over to here to continue a discussion due to being politely told to move...

Quote Originally Posted by Count Dingdong
    Anyway, WinterLilium, after this exchange, process of elimination would have me say that you're Alarra, though I know her very little. That said, it's very possible that you're C'nor (mannerisms match a bit better, from what I recall, though it's been a while), and I've misremembered your gender (I can find two separate posts by C'nor claiming opposite genders, so pardon any confusion in that regard...). Aside from that, I cannot place any currently active female players, unless you are new. Well, and firedaemon, but I don't think you're she? ...and if you are, I apologize, but I believe I know her well enough to say that the mannerisms don't match. If you are not recently active, I may not know you, and if you are new, I may not know you either. I now have absolutely no clue who you are and keep getting thrown off every time you debunk me.

...well, such is the internet. >.<

((I see that Ego Slayer is a girl, and I cannot remember the gender of Deathslayer (male, though, if I recall correctly). I have now put aside any chance at mystery and professed my genuine confusion here. That said, I certainly know you less well than I thought at first. >.>))
    It seems that you've managed to guess! But yes, sorry for the confusion; I thought that might be what was throwing you.

And nah, though I know Firedaemon a bit as well. Deathslayer I recall is male, but yes, I couldn't say for sure. Ego Slayer... The name is vaguely familiar? Who is she?

20. - Top - End - #410
    Count Dingdong
    Guest in the Playground

The active female members here (with you listed as male; I will find the post if you give me a bit) are: EmeraldRose, Lex-Kat, firedaemon33, Alarra. Alarra is less active, and firedaemon33 and Lex-Kat didn't really match the mannerisms. I had you as EmeraldRose and was rather thrown off when you said you weren't. Then I remembered that there had been two specific instances that I recalled, one where you said you were male, and one where you said you were female, so I added you to the list as the more likely, assuming you were female. ...the lack of gender identification has been rather confusing in your area; I apologize.

Ego Slayer is a new player (but old user of the forum) who recently joined the new Classic. It was possible, though much more unlikely, since she was rather new to the scene...

To be fair, you didn't have to tell me that you weren't ER. Your lack of response to the color and mannerisms that I used was answer enough. XD

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Count Dingdong View Post
    The active female members here (with you listed as male; I will find the post if you give me a bit) are: EmeraldRose, Lex-Kat, firedaemon33, Alarra. Alarra is less active, and firedaemon33 and Lex-Kat didn't really match the mannerisms. I had you as EmeraldRose and was rather thrown off when you said you weren't. Then I remembered that there had been two specific instances that I recalled, one where you said you were male, and one where you said you were female, so I added you to the list as the more likely, assuming you were female. ...the lack of gender identification has been rather confusing in your area; I apologize.

Ego Slayer is a new player (but old user of the forum) who recently joined the new Classic. It was possible, though much more unlikely, since she was rather new to the scene...

To be fair, you didn't have to tell me that you weren't ER. Your lack of response to the color and mannerisms that I used was answer enough. XD
    Aye, often is, apologies; the latter is correct.

...Hahaha, I think I remember that now, is this where - no, wait that was - hm, maybe it wasn't, thinking about it... The one you were working for her, she was some kind of goddess or somesuch?

22. - Top - End - #412
    Pixie in the Playground

You left out Castaras, Count.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tydude View Post
    I actually have two theories on why you're doing this, but neither make much sense and you would have to be insane to try them. It seems you are insane, which is great for my theories.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZarethG View Post
    I see your point, Internet Flea. However, I don't retract my assessment of your sanity.
    What kind of paranoid mind sees that as something else. ~ The Narrator, during Stranded in Space.

(Sugar Shock avatar by Dirtytabs.)

23. - Top - End - #413
    Count Dingdong
    Guest in the Playground

@C'nor, does the name Peddler ring a bell? Also, the post I was looking for was here. In one of my games, even, which makes it easier for me to find!

@Internet Flea: ...and yep, whoops. I figured I left someone out. My apologies. Still, she hasn't been too active lately? What with her new mod duties and whatnot, she (and Haruki-kun) has been here less and less...

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ogre in the Playground

Peddler?

And heh, yeah, 'tis a relic, sorry. Always inconvenient when that happens.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Count Dingdong
    Guest in the Playground

The game in question was Penguinator's Typical Werewolf. It was a very roleplay-heavy game, so I borrowed a character that I've RP'd as elsewhere, and she RP'd The Lady, per usual. We happened to both be wolves, so we ended up having a lot of chats, and we later followed that into my game running alongside it (and still running): Careless Investigation. The Peddler was supposed to arrive when I died in Typical, but... that happened much later than I expected, due to people listening to a scried wolf. If you'd like to start reading when the Peddler enters, you can do so here. The game around that time turned more RP-heavy as well.

I do really like that game, and I'm sure it's a good read. That said... I realize looking back that I never posted the wolf QT. I suppose I should get confirmation from blade and Duck, first, though...

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ogre in the Playground

Heh. Typical was neat, yeah.

...Also, question for the thread at large - is it a terrible idea to have a role repeated on both teams that's actually one neutral role?

27. - Top - End - #417
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post

...Also, question for the thread at large - is it a terrible idea to have a role repeated on both teams that's actually one neutral role?
    That sounds like a very specific balance-related question. I might be able to help. Can you PM me the specifics?

28. - Top - End - #418
    Pixie in the Playground

I would say yes, as it's deliberately misinforming the teams about who they can trust.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tydude View Post
    I actually have two theories on why you're doing this, but neither make much sense and you would have to be insane to try them. It seems you are insane, which is great for my theories.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZarethG View Post
    I see your point, Internet Flea. However, I don't retract my assessment of your sanity.
    What kind of paranoid mind sees that as something else. ~ The Narrator, during Stranded in Space.

(Sugar Shock avatar by Dirtytabs.)

29. - Top - End - #419
    Dwarf in the Playground

Balance is a combination of the role, and the setup.

Some roles are uber powerful- but if they are placed against other uber powerful roles, balance happens.

So, to answer a question like that, we have to look at the specifics- what power does the role have, what information does the role have, what power and information do other roles have, what's the overall picture?

Balance is an equation. A role is a number. Just knowing what number it is, isn't enough data.

- - - Updated - - -

Give you an example- there was a game where the godfather of both mafia families was chosen specifically by one neutral role.

That neutral role wanted to survive and have the game be won by one of the mafia teams. But, couldn't communicate with either team.

That role, knows the heads of both mafia families, but under those circumstances, versus a large village, was a balanced role.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Barbarian in the Playground

Players need to be informed of what is reliable and what isn't. This can vary from everything is reliable to nothing is reliable. If players on each team are aware of this possibility, and you carefully craft the rules, it could be fair and balanced. But be extremely careful about the quantity of secrets this role might obtain; if players have too much reason to trust them, they could break the game with their knowledge. This role would be easier to balance in a no-PM game.
    Last edited by Saposhiente; 2015-01-04 at 04:33 AM.

Technical Admin of the Minecraft server. Whitelist is here; put your name there and post it in the thread.
    The overly long monstrosity that is my extended signature lies here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grue Bait View Post
    Good game, guys. Sapo, you are just too good for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    And by the way, your puzzle was one of the most interesting ones I've solved in a while. Kudos.