New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Shadowflux Risen

Shael Greyswan

Shael clambers to his feet, returning the knife to wherever it came from as he strides toward the prow once more. He pauses, before he reaches it, however, and leans out over the railing, peering into the fog ahead. His eyes glow softly beneath the brim of the hat as he scans the upcoming cover.

If it's magical... no. Not worth knowing. His grip tightens on the railing and he closes his eyes for a moment, concentrating. But if the ship is magical... I could give us some warning. Warning our eyes can't offer...

He reaches inward, to the soft green glow always lurking somewhere in the depths of his being, and... grabs a hold of some of it. A thin, faint trickle. As the thin tendril of power rises to the surface, it is accompanied by a soft, whispering voice. Gritting his teeth, Shael clamps down on the rising mind, while simultaneously releasing the enrergy in a sweeping, faint arc. Probing the fog ahead of the ship for magical energy.

The strain is visible in his face, and in the rigidity of his posture, even leaning out as he is. His green eyes snap opens once more, and he deliberately lowers the hat brim over the increased glow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect magic is again being fielded. I'll hold it as I scan off the bow for maybe around five minutes, then step back from the prow for maybe a minute before resuming again. It's an at-will ability, so it should work out well enough.
    Good grammar is hot.

2. - Top - End - #92

So sorry for the delay. Your regularly scheduled adventure will resume shortly...

3. - Top - End - #93

With an almost pointless white-knuckled grip upon the wheel's spokes, Captain Merev continues to grumble about the building fog and the troublesome aspect of the wind, which so graciously brought the Dancing Karil to this point beyond the doldrums, and has, like a spring rain, suddenly ceased. The rest of the crew are all but entirely silent, seemingly absorbing the natural moroseness of the quiet mists. With the passengers also becoming still and halting their own banter, the ship becomes its own ghost, of a sort.

As the moments silently slip by, the cold, damp wisps grow more dense, massing from the water's surface upwards as the boat drifts slowly on weak waves that go unseen and barely heard. With no visible references left, it's nigh impossible to determine direction, time or speed. It seems all of those familiar things have been set aside in an old box, having become irrelevant.

Eerie near silence presses against your eardrums for minutes on end, and the clammy mists become an irritant despite their near lack of true substance. Already, visibility has dropped to nearly zero. The hand before your face can be seen, but dreamlike as if through gauze; indistinct and somehow distant. Condensation spawns tickling rivulets of cold water mixed with nervous sweat that roll down your temples, your neck, your back. The mist even invades your nostrils and ears, and causes you to blink far more rapidly than usual, tiny droplets flicking from your lashes at each flutter. A strange thought invades your brain: is it possible to drown in fog?

The thought is left only vaguely considered as each of you, save for Shael whose senses are dulled by some aspect of his history, hear something. It is faint and reminiscent of the sound of a fish flopping about after a catch, but it ceases quickly. The disorienting fog makes it difficult to know from which side or end of the boat the sound had come from, but a moment or two allows you to recall the positions of your immediate surroundings, using details of rail, or mast or yardarm as reference.

Astern. You're not certain, but it seems the right guess. As you deduce the relative direction, you hear another wet flop, or is it two, or even more? This time it is accompanied by the faintest of sensations, as if the boat had listed in that same direction...just the tiniest bit. Though perhaps it was your imagin....

"Blast! Arms astern, mates! We have boarders!" Captain Merev's voice shatters the near deathly silence. The call is muffled and disembodied with no hint of the echo your mind seems to think should occur in such a claustrophobic situation. Except for Lock and Nivlan, who remained seated at the far edges of the cargo hold after breakfast, none can see the captain at all.

In response, Yorkin's voice rings out from what could be somewhere near the starboard rail, "Dammit! Aye cap'n!" Gigson, likewise, spews an expletive and rises quickly beside Nivlan, Fryst having turned from the port rail toward where he recalls the helm stands, also seeing Gigson spring to action. Heretofore, it'd been essentially ignored as a point not worth noticing that Gigson bore both a curved long blade and dagger. They've both found grips as their owner begins to step around Nivlan and out of Fryst's sight.

At this point neither Salt nor Jorme have acknowledged the captain's summon to arms.

If you would all be so kind as to roll initiative, we will commence the festivities. Just make the roll in the dice-rolling thread, noted as being an initiative roll, and pause for a bit. As soon as everyone's made their roll, we'll continue.

I have rolled listen checks for the lot of you and results will be factored into the initial round.

{Inits are in--Gauran & Nivlan's have been rolled by me to expedite things}
    Last edited by Velvet Elvis; 2007-02-18 at 08:02 PM. Reason: init rolled note

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Fryst

Damn, caught unawares, with most of us up in the bow ... and more importantly my staff in my bag thinks Fryst as his hand reaches into his bag to pull out his fighting stick. Because of that I don't think I have time to call my spirit's blessing before fighting he thinks as he moves towards the boarded area.

Spoiler
    Show
    On his initiative, of course.
    Last edited by KuH; 2007-02-18 at 05:45 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95

Eleberry Lockwidge

Blast, thinks Lock, I'm letting my senses slip. I can't let myself fall into this reverie...no one can.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: How big is this ship? Barring extenuating information that might change my mind, I was thinking of casting Glitterdust towards to stern to hopefully outline what we might be able to see. It's a 10 ft radius though...I'd have to be pretty exact if there's a lot of stern.
    Last edited by AmoDman; 2007-02-19 at 12:03 AM.
    Shalom

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #96

Nivlan Kirk

Nivlan's stomach tightened at the Captain's call and threatened dangerously to release his piscine breakfast back into the sea. This is a lot different than trapping out on the trail. This time, I'm the one in the trap. I don't even know what would be boarding a ship like this. Pelor, preserve us!
    "So it works in practice. Who cares? Does it work in theory?"
    Spoiler
    Show

PolkaBear by Ceika | Eckher by Wayril
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Characters: Clunch Lian
    PolkaBear avatar courtesy of Ceika

7. - Top - End - #97

Shael Greyswan
    ( Init: 22 | AC: 14 | HP: 26/26 (Healthy) | Position: Unawares in the Bow)

In the bow, Shael falters, his bloodless grip slipping on the wet railing. What's the... point. On and on this surveillance, and nothing is out there? Why am I bothering?

He begins to straighten, breathing heavily, but stiffens, his body going rigid as the power begins to swell within him. The small trickle he's been maintaining, forcing him to fight the will that seeks to control him, begins to grow. Gritting his teeth, he releases the magical probe he's been using to scan ahead—releases his hold on his inner strength entirely, and leans against the railing. Only now does he notice just how foggy it is. It might be wise to pull back from the—

The power swelled in him again, coming without his reaching for it. Snarling, he shoves down hard. If his face were visible in the fog, it would have been frightening to behold, contorted into a rictus of fearsome concentration. His teeth, clenched, brow knotted, and eyes glowing with an increasing light. Tendons bulge along his wrist and fingers as he grips the rail. The whispers come once more.

You have withheld conversation for some time, Shael? Why do you not humor me with the small talk we so often share? The soft voice is pleasant, filled with condescending amusement. You're been playing with your other friends and forgetting all about me. I'm hurt.

You know full well that conversation isn't what you're after! Shut up and go away! I can't risk your presence with these others around!

With a tremendous effort, he forces the alien mind down once more, releasing his hold on its power and slumping against the rail—knees weak and chest heaving, oblivious to the danger creeping up from behind.
    Last edited by Annarrkkii; 2007-02-19 at 05:51 PM.
    Good grammar is hot.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Fryst

"Hisst, sounds like five boarders at the stern" calls out Fryst as he pulls out his beatstick and flexes his claw "I'm going back, and would appreciate gravel boy's assistance ... and make sure some of you are ready for other boarders in the front and sides." The latter is thrown over his shoulder - he is already in motion to the stern, looking for a target.
    Last edited by KuH; 2007-02-18 at 09:57 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Adur

Adur peers over the side, keeping a wary eye for reefs- or trying; the fog makes that impossible, and he gives up, leaning against the rail. His ears catch the splashing from astern, and he straightens, glancing to the stern. Impossible to see anything in here- we might as well be underwater. The thought triggers a faint smile. Yes... underwater...

He mutters words in a harsh tongue learned years ago in the mountains near his home, thinking of the sea and the dolphins that live there, navigating through sound. His hearing sharpens, to the point where he can hear the deck below him and the waves moving past. Turning, he cautiously makes his way to the stern, hoping to find whatever it is that boards them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Embrace the Wild, for 30' blindsense and +2 to Listen and Spot checks, and then going towards the stern.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

10. - Top - End - #100

Eleberry Lockwidge
    ( Init: 21 | AC: 18 | HP: 28/28 (Okay) | Position: Not for non-DM eyes? )

This damnable fog! Thinks Lock. The boarders might as well be invisible...how are we possibly going to engage them?

Trying to think of a solution on his toes hardly being able to see anyone else, Lock quietly says to Adur and Nivlan nearby him, "Watch yourselves. Most are aforedeck, I'm going to take a gamble with the stern, hopefully help our visibility."

With that, Lock falls into his arcane spellcasting trance and calls forth what he hopes will be a useful spell. He summons bright, golden Glidderdust and attempts to douse the stern area where he'd heard creatures flop aboard with the stuff, and tries to remain inconspicuous in his place after casting.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: That's Glitterdust centered on the stern (coordinates in PM).
    Last edited by AmoDman; 2007-02-19 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Combat Blurb
    Shalom

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101
    Halfling in the Playground

Sparky
    [Init 9 | AC 22 | HP: 30/30 (okay) | Position: Tenuous]

Sparky freezes in place for just the barest second, listening as his companions rush towards the stern. In an almost numb shock, he registers the flopping sound. Oh no! Fish-Men! I just knew it! Mom was right! He pulls himself out of his panicked reverie and focuses on the now. He hears Fryst's terse order, Lock's voice as he calls out the words to some sort fo spell, and only dimly makes out the thumping sounds of people running over the slippery decks.

Finally, it's his turn for action, and he turns in place towards the bow of the ship and carefully walks back along the bowsprit while drawing his rapier. My first real fight, I'm not sure what to do. I could run to the back with everyone else ... but ... what it that's the distraction, and the real attack is up here? He heads back towards the sounds, stopping only when the safety line tugs gently at his waist. With a steady hand, he reaches down to unsnap the clip, and comes back up to level with his shortsword now securely in his off-hand. Stay up front, Sparky. The Fish-Men will never expect you

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I played it fast and loose as I could with the low initiative roll (Stupid Dice Roller). Sparky's main action is a Move with Draw Weapon(s) as a Free Action (higher than BAB of +1, Two Weapon Fighting). I'm not sure what to do with the failed Balance Check, since one wasn't yet required, but will amend my post if necessary when the DMs let me know.
    If at first you don't succeed - try new dice!

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gauran Darkstrider
    (Ini: 2 <--- I won't forget this, VE! / AC 14 / HP 61/61 / Position: Under way to the stern

Moving carefully on the slippery deck, Gauran literally stalks with very pointed steps in direction of the aft deck, to avoid giving the wet floor a movement that might end in a slide. During this move he takes his greathammer in both hands, ready to serve a blow to any kind of hideous creature that might surge from the fog.

Straining to hear any creatures that might approach from any direction, he keeps his every movement slow and careful.

Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Balance: 19 / Extra d8: 2 / Extra d20: 5 / Extra Listen: 8
    The Shadows are Your Friends - Well, actually they are Mine

13. - Top - End - #103

Kahlynn
    (Init:18 l AC 16 l HP 44/44 Position: nearly amidships)

Kahlynn crouches down somewhere amidships, one hand clutching her holy symbol while the other draws her sad little dagger from her belt. Wait and see ... you'll be of no use to anyone if you get struck down. How can they even tell friend from foe?

She squints against the fog, trying to tell something from the vague and muffled sounds she hears from the stern.
    Pelor, protect us from this unnatural fog, and those who hide within it.
    Last edited by Kahlynn; 2007-02-19 at 04:50 PM.
    Avatar by Cult of the Raven! Much obliged!

14. - Top - End - #104

Eleberry Lockwidge
    ( Init: 21 | AC: 18 | HP: 28/28 (Hrm) | Position: Netted and dragged )

Lock remains in place, beginning to weave a spell of some sort with twisting fingers and low-spoken words of arcane power. As he works to coalesce the necessary energies, he is caught unaware as a creature more fish than man, but a nauseating blending of both, steps silently from the mists to stand upon the starboard stairs leading up to the poop deck. To Lock's awareness, the creature does not yet exist in form, only the faint flopping of its wet feet was available to paint his imaginary image of what lay hidden in the blinding mists. But as the stories go, just because you can't see the monster under your bed doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

The creature waves an arm and a net, perhaps ten feet wide fixed with barbs that glisten faintly with condensation, flies down upon Lock, blanketing him nearly square in the center. At the very moment the net begins to settle, the creature's other arm, which had so far only held a narrow wood or metal rod, yanks back, pulling the corners of the net taut and effectively scooping Lock's small form into itself, as well as sliding him a little ways toward the stairs.

Lock struggles a little but knows his situation is bad if he can't out his captor or get some help. He'd feel better if he even knew what this thing was that wa dragging him, but without known, he takes a chance and works his magic as best he can to cast a Sleep spell centered on his enemy, after which he yells as loud as he can to his allies, "Watch out for nets! If anyone can hear me, this fish face has got me in one!"

Lock then hopefully waits for his chance to escape.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Sleep spell details. The save is Will 18. I'm also readying a move action to get up and out of the net at my first chance there. My Concentration is 20.

Shalom

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #105

Nivlan Kirk
    (Init: 3 | AC: 13 | HP: 39/39 (okay) | Position...going nowhere)

Nivlan hesitates at first, unsure where he'd be most useful. When he hears Lock's shout, he turns and tries to see what's happened. He attempts to move through the fog to where he heard Lock's voice, but attempts the motion too quickly and falls flat on his backside.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Fryst
    [AC: 20, hp: 56/56, other useful details here]

Fryst moves sternward along the deck towards the action, greatclub in hand. His catlike balance keeps him on his feet as he goes looking for bad guys to surprise.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler for DMs only
    Spoiler
    Show
    As outlined to Velvet Elvis, past rowboat, I think it was M8,N8,O8 and vertical jump (note feats) to P8 if it is part of move action, if not, going up via the stairs and on to the middle of the rear deck, keeping careful watch and greatclub above head to stop nets from falling on him, and stopping to fight if he sees baddies

Last edited by KuH; 2007-02-19 at 09:49 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107

Still collating...

Hang in there. I've decided to try a method I had in mind long ago for a PBeM game. It's taking longer than I thought, but you'll see why.

When I post the round summary, please don't read anything other than the obvious open text (if any) and your spoiler. It will make for a much better--well, hopefully--experience. You may return after combat has entirely concluded and read everyone else's spoilers for your own amusement.

I'm working rather hard on this, so I would appreciate your restraint. :)

Oh, and don't blame bc for the glacial entry into combat. This is entirely my doing. I'll get better as we go along.
    Last edited by Velvet Elvis; 2007-02-20 at 02:38 AM.

18. - Top - End - #108

Please see my post in the OOC thread regarding this format, before reading further. Thx. Oh, in case you're curious, you may read all the spoilers AFTER combat has concluded. Thank you for your restraint. Mind any typos and possibly lame sentence structure.

Shael (22)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Having no knowledge yet of the hidden boarders, you are suddenly subjected to the infuriatingly nonchalant mental force of that which has invaded your soul. You strain, grimacing fearsomely, your knuckles going white at the forward port rail. With mocking derision only you can hear, you push the disembodied force from your mind, leaving yourself temporarily sapped of energy.

A moment or two later, you hear the muffled voice of Lock calling out from somewhere to your right. "Watch out for nets! If anyone can hear me, this fish face has got me in one!"

Almost dead on Lock's heels, you hear what you think is Gigson's voice ringing out from somewhere port and astern. "Skum, Cap'n! Netter at port!"

Several moments later you hear a small thump upon the deck behind you.

As your brain vaguely registers the sound, you suddenly hear a cry of pain from some distance directly astern.

Almost simultaneously, you hear another cry of pain from the starboard side of the deck at about the same distance.

Your ending position/condition: H-08, Uninjured

Lock (21)
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Relative to some directional references, you are facing toward the starboard rail at an aft angle.)

Your mental plan to weave a spell to highlight whatever may be hidden in the fog that obscures the stern, is quickly dashed as a barbed net appears from the fog to envelop you in a small bundle. As you're drawn in a few feet, you see your attacker's form upon the starboard steps leading up to the poop deck. Nauseatingly green and mottled with yellow, it holds a rod in one hand and a short coil of dark rope in the other. Details are limited given your position within the net as you're forced to peer through the irregular mesh, but the creature is quite definitely an abomination of man and fish. Wide black eyes regard its catch with a seemingly strange calm. Perhaps it is only the lack of facial expression that conveys this, but it is somewhat unsettling.

Though the confining netting makes the attempt far more difficult than desired, you manage to wiggle your fingers and intone familiar arcane words in the direction of your attacker. A moment passes with no visible result, but you can see the glistening scales of the creature's face contort slightly as if attempting to fight back the desire to close its dark eyes. But close they do, the creature dropping to lie across the angle of the stairs. You feel the tension on the net's controlling rope drop away, though the net itself stays tightly drawn, and you remain entangled within it.

(Note: Critter failed his save by 1.)

Out of the corner of your right eye, and through a mesh hole, you notice that Captain Merev hasn't moved from the helm. Most of his form is heavily obscured by the fog, but he is definitely still there.

Somewhat muffled by the fog and likely some from the net's material, you hear what you think is Gigson's voice ringing out from somewhere port and slightly astern. "Skum, Cap'n! Netter at port!"

You hear a grunt and a strange, unintelligible, high-pitched yell from above, which quickly resolves itself into Jorme's vague form leaping from the rigging above you and down onto the stairs beside the sleeping fish-man. Even as his knees recoil from the landing, one hand is removing a broad-bladed, curved dagger he'd placed between his teeth, while the other draws another of similar type from a short sheath at his hip.

From your position on the deck, nearly scrunched up between the stern of one of the two small rowboats the Dancing Karil carries, and the lower step of the stairwell leading to the poop deck, you can't see who or what it is, but you can easily determine that someone has apparently leapt into the rowboat. Your raw senses tell you that their passage is from bow to stern, and that, a logical guess is that they are making their way generally astern. You also hear, chanting to your left, the voice of Adur. As the chanting ends, you hear something stepping immediately behind you, from amidships aft, that stops somewhere slightly behind and to your right. The bunched netting blocks your view rendering it impossible to know for certain who or what it is.

Though your ears are nearly buried in damp netting, they are easily keen enough to hear a sudden sharp cry of pain from somewhere to port.

At nearly the same time, you hear another cry of pain from almost directly ahead of you, which though you can't quite see what's happened through the netting, you do see that Jorme is bleeding, though where from is blocked from view.

Your ending position/condition: N-06, Netted, Uninjured

Kahlynn (18)
    Spoiler
    Show
    You hear the muffled voice of Lock calling out from somewhere starboard and astern. "Watch out for nets! If anyone can hear me, this fish face has got me in one!"

Almost dead on Lock's heels, coming as you move from beside the crew cabin stairwell to a spot starboard of the main mast, you hear what you think is Gigson's voice ringing out from somewhere port and astern. "Skum, Cap'n! Netter at port!" You reach your intended position at this point, simultaneously seeing both Adur's form appearing from the mists just astern and Yorkin's near the starboard rail. Both appear to be considering what to do.

Yorkin is the first to act after your arrival, moving toward the stern on the starboard side. As he reaches the rowboat he deftly hops over its prow, avoids the contents and continues forward out of sight. You also noticed he'd drawn what appears to be a cutlass as he passed beside you. His face was a mask of determined concern, a face far less the rather crude, simple man whose presence you'd come to know and, to at least some degree, enjoy.

Shortly after you arrive, Adur appears to have made a decision and begins to chant, weaving intricate symbols in the mists with the fingers of one hand. When the ritual is completed, you notice no effect at all, though Adur's reaction hardly indicates his intent has failed. He then moves away toward the stern and is quickly lost in the mists.

Several moments later, you hear a cry of pain from somewhere port and aft of you.

Almost simultaneously, you hear another cry of pain from the starboard side of the deck at about the same relative distance astern.

As the cries ring out, you clutch your holy symbol all the tighter. As you do, you look to the heavens as if they were truly still visible, only to suddenly see a great bulk appear from the left. You start for a moment before realizing it is only Gauran. He moves around you to starboard, bringing himself to stand just before the bow of the small rowboat.

Your ending position/condition: L-06, Uninjured

Adur (14)
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Relative to some directional references, you are facing to port.)

While you consider what to do in the face of the Captain's warning call, you see a span of barbed netting drift heavily over Lock just before it appears he was to begin the gestures required to weave an unknown spell. The net falls heavily over the gnome and is immediately yanked starboard and aft a bit, scooping its catch and leaving him, for the moment, in a bundle near what you assume to be the starboard stairs leading up to the poop deck.

You hear the muffled, yet loud, voice of Lock calling out from your left. "Watch out for nets! If anyone can hear me, this fish face has got me in one!"

Almost dead on Lock's heels, you hear what you think is Gigson's voice ringing out from somewhere port and astern. "Skum, Cap'n! Netter at port!" and as if on some sort of strange cue, you notice Kahlynn slowly appear from the mists to your right. She is crouching, apparently in fear of what might leap out at her from the fog. You notice she is clutching the holy symbol that hangs about her neck, and squinting into the fog.

Suddenly, somewhere to your left and above, you hear a strange, high-pitched cry that appears to move from there to a point somewhere behind and aft of you. In addition, you hear a light wooden thunk in that same direction.

A figure moves past behind you. As you turn your head you catch Yorkin hopping over the rowboat's prow and making the short, but obstacle-laden way toward its stern. You also notice he is now bearing what appears to be a cutlass in his right hand, using his free hand to stabilize his movements as the small boat rocks beneath his weight.

Amidst the commotion, you now decide your course of action. Moments later, with spell cast, your natural senses give way to those of the nocturnal beasts whose eyes are far more well augmented than a mere human's. Instantly, a number of vague images appear in your mind's eye. Having just seen Yorkin and Kahlynn nearby, as well as knowing Lock's odd situation next to you, you are able to easily filter their sparkling signatures from your new senses. The rest are left to your imagination.

(An indistinct, oddly shaped signature near both Yorkin and Lock (O-5), what you gauge to be roughly human-sized figures at O-7, O-8, O-9, N-8, P-10, R-5, R-8, R-9 and S-6. A small figure, the size of Lock's, at L-9. Farther to port, you acquire another human-sized figure at H-8, and finally a larger figure at H-6. At present, several figures are in motion. H-6 is heading astern, and all figures near the aft rails are moving slowly toward you.

Your new senses acclimatized almost instantly, you begin to move aft, stepping behind the bundle of netting and gnome, and coming into sight of Captain Merev still gripping the wheel's spokes tightly. Your original intent to head to the starboard stairs is halted as you notice upon nearing them the prone form of a repulsive fish/man abomination covered in glistening yellowish-green scales, interlaced with ropy sinew. Of almost equally interesting note is the diminutive form of the long-since seen Jorme standing over the creature, two small, wide-bladed, curved daggers in hand.

(You are now facing directly to starboard.)

The form due aft of you moves fairly quickly in your direction, suddenly appearing out of the mists to your right, above, on the poop deck. It is another creature nearly identical to the prone one lying upon the steps. This one, however, has a bluish cast to its scales and is bearing both a large, oddly-shaped shield apparently fashioned of overlapping shell plates, much like the creature's own scales, and a broad-bladed spear with recurved barbs on each edge tip. This creature appears more muscular and somehow, more sturdy than the other. Its deep black eyes regard you dispassionately, but you sense an inner malice.

Though you were able to see the creature in your mind's eye even as it approached, your attempts to move away from the overhanging edge of the poop deck are met with frustration as your feet encounter obstacles. Just as it appears, you are nearly able to step aside in time, but fate has you slip just a bit on the slick deck, and the spear that is thrust down upon you just manages to slice across your side, before being drawn back with a strange, guttural grunt followed by a light spray of fetid saliva.

(You've suffered 8HP.)

Your own quiet suffering is only a moment later made audible, in a strange, abstract way, by a cry of pain heard from somewhere directly to port.

As you attempt to fend off an expectant followup attack from the fish-man above you, you fail to register in your mind's eye the continued motion of another vague image approaching. This one moved parallel, just to starboard, to the one that has already attacked you. Though you instinctively fear a second assault directed at you, instead, your brief glance in the direction you know it to be reveals a snapping, razor-ridged jaw striking out of the mists from near the head of the stairs tearing into Jorme's shoulder before pulling back and being almost--but not entirely--visibly lost in the fog.

Your ending position/condition: O-06, facing aft going into the next round, -8HP

Fryst (11)
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Relative to some directional references, you are facing to port.)

At the Captain's call, Gigson, whose years with Merev have apparently created a sort of mental link, has his misty form is in motion almost instantly, drawing a curved short sword and dagger he moves away toward the stern. His image is consumed by the fog within two steps.

You hear the muffled voice of Lock calling out from somewhere behind and to your left. "Watch out for nets! If anyone can hear me, this fish face has got me in one!"

You hear Gigson's voice ringing out from fairly nearby astern. "Skum, Cap'n! Netter at port!" In that direction, you also hear a muffled curse quickly followed by the sound of something impacting the port gunwale and just a moment after, the definite sound of something large plunging into the water in the same general vicinity.

Again from the direction you know to be the location of Lock, you now hear a strange, unintelligible, high-pitched yell from above, which is quickly followed by a faint thump.

Eventually, you turn, bringing your greatclub out to be held up above your head as you move to a spot between the bow end of the port rowboat and one end of the cargo hold. From there, you see Nivlan just beginning to rise to his feet, having been slow to react to the surprising situation. You step behind him with intent to move farther aft, only to see the face of Salt emerge from the mists, noting that he wields a rather interesting looking rapier-like blade. He gives you a nod as he casts glances about, as if he, too is thinking to determine the best route to the fight.

Finding your intended route blocked, you opt to turn a bit to port and take to the stairs. As you take to the first step, you notice a thick, wide wad of barbed netting scrunched up against the gunwale and the middle set of stairs, a dark rope running from beneath the wad, overboard. You quickly determine that there is someone or something struggling to free itself from the entangling net.

(Since your chosen endpoint was already occupied, I chose an alternate to save time.)

Working specs for pouch of holding -
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aperture 5" long with a mouth that can open to a 4" width. Capacity is 2ft3 with a weight maximum of 20lb (the same as one of the HHH's side compartments, with a smaller mouth). The extradimensional space is 5"x4"x172" (14.5'), max object length also 172". Pouch weight: 1lb. Price: 1500gp

Note that I decided to leave the price the same, despite the shrinking of capacity, due to the much increased convenience factor. If you wish, you may exchange the item and purchase something else with the 1500gp you've already spent (or save it, of course). For purposes of your greatclub, although I would generally judge otherwise, I'll assume for the sake of argument, that the widest part of the head is narrow enough for you to squeeze it into the pouch's opening with only minimal difficulty (no in-game effect).

As you focus on the netted thing before you, you just manage to catch sight of a creature as it breaks into view from the fog just above the higher stairs. It appears to be an ugly blending of fish and man, made of rounded muscles covered in dull green scales which shimmer wetly in the highly-diffused light of the now nearly unnoticeable sun. Its body is laced with ropy sinews that resemble the heavy marbling of poor quality beef, and its face, an expressionless mask bearing two dark eyes, is a wicked thing to behold. You attempt to dodge to the side, but the creature moves with surprising speed in the same direction, taking a single claw-and-web-footed step downward and extending its neck to bring to bear a mouthful of razor-sharp ridges upon you. You cry out in pain as those odd teeth rip into your shoulder.

(15HP damage.)

Almost simultaneously, you hear a cry of pain from directly starboard. The sound is so similar as to seem like an echo of your own.

As if in tandem with that echoing cry, you just barely notice Nivlan, still in the same spot he was when you passed by him earlier, suddenly fall down with a grunt. Vaguely, amidst your own concerns, you notice him rising again.

Your ending position/condition: O-09, -15HP

Sparky (9)
    Spoiler
    Show
    (With regard to certain directionals, you are facing astern.)

You hear the muffled voice of Lock calling out from somewhere fairly far ahead and somewhat to your left. "Watch out for nets! If anyone can hear me, this fish face has got me in one!"

Almost dead on Lock's heels, you hear what you think is Gigson's voice ringing out from somewhere fairly far ahead but this time to port. "Skum, Cap'n! Netter at port!"

Soon after, you also hear an oddly high-pitched, unintelligible yell coming from the general vicinity of where you heard Lock call out just a few moments before.

Unsnapping your safety strap and having already drawn your short sword, you hop from the base of the bowsprit down between the anchor winch and a backspar running across to connect and support the forward bow gunwales. You now see what appears to be Shael standing to your right, though his back is to you. For some reason, he is hunched somewhat toward the railing. You also see the large form of Gauran to your left and note that he is just beginning to head astern, his long, loping steps soon to carry him entirely out of sight.

As you glance at Gauran, yet to bring his bulk into motion, you snap your head to the right in a futile reaction to see what has just uttered a sharp cry of pain. The sound seems to come from somewhere fairly far astern and just to your right.

Almost simultaneously, you hear another cry of pain from the starboard side of the deck at about the same relative distance astern.

Your ending position/condition: H-07, Uninjured

Nivlan (3)
    Spoiler
    Show
    (With regard to left/right type directionals, you are facing toward the starboard rail.)

At the Captain's call, Gigson, whose years with Merev have apparently created a sort of mental link, has his misty form is in motion almost instantly, drawing a curved short sword and dagger he moves away toward the port stairs. With a mild grunt, he consumes a few of the steps in a tentative hop, showing only minimal indication he is concerned, or indeed, affected by the slippery footing.

You see Salt appear from the fog to your right. Though you can no longer see it, you assume Salt must have exited the door leading from the captain's stateroom. His face is a dour grimace full of anger, but with nary a sign of fear. He casts a brief look your way, then peers elsewhere, appearing to see both Captain Merev still at the wheel to his right and Gigson upon the stairs to his left. Your eyes are drawn immediately to the weapon he now bears: a sleek curving blade looking for all intents and purposes to be a heavier version of a standard rapier, but one of exquisite workmanship and delicate basket design.

You hear the muffled voice of Lock calling out from nearby ahead and to your right. "Watch out for nets! If anyone can hear me, this fish face has got me in one!"

You notice that Captain Merev hasn't moved from the helm. His hands are a deathgrip upon two inner spokes, and his face shows a grimace of concentration, and though it is rather difficult to be certain, you gain the impression his eyes are shut.

You hear Gigson's voice ringing out from fairly nearby astern and to port. "Skum, Cap'n! Netter at port!" Very soon after his call, and in that same direction, you hear a muffled curse quickly followed by the sound of something impacting the port gunwale and just a moment after, the definite, though muffled, sound of something large plunging into the water.

You hear a grunt and a strange, unintelligible, high-pitched yell from somewhere above that carries away ahead and to your right, very near the source of Lock's warning.

Behind you, you sense a small figure passing by and continuing aft, just as you begin to rise to your feet. A quick turn of your head reveals the form of Fryst who is stepping off toward and, eventually, onto the port stairs.

Now on your feet, you suddenly hear a loud cry of pain from nearly directly behind you. You instinctively whip your head to the right as you half-turn to see Fryst, bleeding profusely from a nasty shoulder wound. Though you only saw it for on instant as its insult of a face disappears into the mists, there is no question as to the source of Fryst's wound: a partly fishlike, partly manlike face covered in scales and thin ropy sinew tracery, with mouth agape and dripping heavy globules of bright red blood.

Almost simultaneously, you hear another cry of pain from nearby ahead and to your right.

You attempt to move to a more advantageous position, but catch a foot on the raised cargo hold door which causes you to attempt to shift your weight to the other foot, only to find that doing so tilts you into an unbalanced position. Your feet slide from under you and you end up dropping to the deck on your backside, grunting loudly. Stubbornly, you draw yourself back to your feet almost as if you'd rebounded.

Your ending position/condition: N-08, Uninjured

Gauran (2)
    Spoiler
    Show
    (With regard to left/right type directionals, you are facing astern.)

In the near distance ahead and to the starboard side, you hear the muffled voice of Lock call out. "Watch out for nets! If anyone can hear me, this fish face has got me in one!"

Almost dead on Lock's heels, you hear what you think is Gigson's voice ringing out from somewhere fairly far ahead but this time to port. "Skum, Cap'n! Netter at port!"

Soon after, you also hear an oddly high-pitched, unintelligible yell coming from the general vicinity of where you heard Lock call out just a few moments before.

Just as you begin to put your bulk into motion, you see Sparky suddenly appear, almost as if out of nowhere, dropping down from behind and ending up just to your right, between a bracing timber and the anchor winch. He has his short sword in hand. (No laughing.)

A mere step forward you then hear a cry of pain from somewhere fairly far astern and to port.

Having been distracted repeatedly by the commotion about you, you finally lean forward and carefully, but still fairly swiftly bring yourself amidships. You feel that the bare feet beneath you give you a somewhat better than usual sense of stability as under your great bulk they squeeze aside the slippery water with each, squishing step. You progress about fifteen feet forward, suddenly seeing the hunkering form of Kahlynn leaning against the foot of the mainmast, clutching her holy symbol in hand and looking up into the fog as if she might be able to see the sky despite the soup. Rather than push her aside, you decide to bear a step to starboard.

(Since you can't occupy L-06, I chose randomly either stepping to the next forward starboard side or to port one step.)

Your ending position/condition: L-05, Uninjured
    Last edited by Velvet Elvis; 2007-09-12 at 09:38 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Fryst

[Edited] You might have heard a cry or might not which might have been Fryst or might not. This fog is very disorienting.

Spoiler
    Show
    DM - instructions here - I think this is most efficient
    Spoiler
    Show
    [AC:22; hp 41/56]
    Assuming that Fryst can still see the guy who jumped out and bit him, he is going to go wild and wail on him, raging (AC now 22), and gaining two swings to hit at +8, 20% miss chance rolled twice, with 1d8+6 damage if he hits. I will roll the two attack and damage rolls in the dice thread.

If I can't see the enemy, I will free the tangled figure from the nets by slicing the ropes with my claw.
    Last edited by KuH; 2007-02-21 at 07:17 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110

Shael Greyswan
    ( Init: 22 | AC: 14 | HP: 26/26 (Healthy) | Position: On the Move)

Skum? Shael grits his teeth. Skum mean danger... and in this fog he couldn't afford to wander blindly, waving his sword and hoping to hit something. That meant...

With a snarl, he dove inward, surrendering to the push from within and reaching for it. Cold sweat prickling on his already-damp skin, his shaking limbs stiffening for a moment as another consciousness swelled up inside him, accompanying the sweet rush of power.

And you'd just made it so clear that you didn't want to talk to me... ah, no matter. Skum, I heard?

Their minds merge—an imperfect combination, but a sufficient one. Tapping the power greater than he had since that bar fight back in Dordekurst, he unleashed it with a barked syllable and a succinct gesture. Taking a moment, he flexes his limbs, and swings over the side of the ship.

Spoiler
    Show
    DMs only. Is that how we're doing this?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shael invokes spiderwalk and swings over the side, moving around the prow towards the port side at his full climb speed of 20 ft., meaning he ends the turn as far as he can around to the port, meaning at K-10 (if my math is right), on the outside of the railing.

Balance check: 34 (44?)

Last edited by Annarrkkii; 2007-02-20 at 06:41 PM.
    Good grammar is hot.

21. - Top - End - #111

Eleberry Lockwidge
    ( Init: 21 | AC: 18 | HP: 28/28 (Hrm) | Position: Stuck and f...what? )

Lock thanks Garl his sleep spell worked on his captor, though barely. Unfortunately, he still couldn't easily get out of the damn net. He either needs some help or time to work at it, he was ashamed to admit to himself.

Lock sighs. It doesn't sound like the invaders are quite being repelled yet. Any fish person could come up and grab him like this, and with his allies occupied...this just wasn't a good sign. Lock shakes his head, and begins weaving another spell to cover himself and the net in the Silent Image of a large crate, the closest thing to inconspicuous as he could manage.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I'm doing these actions under the assumption that my it's still the Escape Artist 20 and Strength 25 to escape, quite literally impossible for me with my current penalties :/. Can't do much more from right here since I can't see anything (near top of the round and all). So, ***** little helpless gnome invisible action here we go! Concentration 24. DC 18 will if anyone actually comes and interacts with said crate. I didn't PM cause I couldn't go anywhere.
    Last edited by AmoDman; 2007-02-20 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Added some info from my DM blurb.
    Shalom

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112

Sparky
    ( Init: 9 | AC: 22 | HP: 30/30 (Good) | Position: Starboard Bow )
    Sparky listens attentively as he creeps slowly forward, mindful of the dangerous footing on the deck. He keeps his swords gripped tightly, scanning from side to side for an unfamiliar back to plunge them into. C'mon Fish-Men, don't think you're getting off this ship without a fight. Wow, I sounded all dangerous. Neat. I wonder what it will be like the first time I kill something. Woah, calm down, find Lock first, he needs help. He's astern, and off the starboard. I just bet it. He continues around the bulk of the ballista Wow, we have a ballista, imagine the backstab damage that'd do... and further along amidships. Now I need a Fish-Man for my very first Real Battle. Here fishy fishy fishy...

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Doing a 15' Move, ending in K-5. I'll post my Balance, d8, and extra d20 roll presently. If a target presents itself, and I have enough time to identify whether it's friend or foe, I'd like to stab something.
    If at first you don't succeed - try new dice!

23. - Top - End - #113

Nivlan Kirk
    (Init: 3 | AC: 13 | HP: 39/39 (okay) | Position...afoot)

"Watch your footing! It's slick!" Nivlan called to the others.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Handsome DM Eyes Only:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nivlan will attempt to move behind Fryst and heal him. If possible, he will position himself on the far side of the halfling from the skum.

If I understand the positioning correctly, this means that he will move to the stairs at O9 and go up them, probably to P9 (if this puts him adjacent to Fryst but not to the skum.) Will this orient him correctly? He will not pass through a square controlled by a skum (thus provoking an AoO) unless absolutely necessary to reach Fryst. If Nivlan finds another injured comrade, and getting to Fryst requires passing by a skum, and Fryst doesn't look to be dying, he'll heal the other comrade. If Nivlan must choose between healing Fryst and healing a comrade who appears to be dying, Nivlan will heal the more desperately injured comrade.

As long as he's able to end up adjacent to Fryst (or the aforementioned injured comrade), Nivlan will cast a Cure spell on him: Cure Moderate Wounds if he seems badly injured (will it require a Heal check to evaluate?) or Cure Light Wounds if it's more bloody than dangerous. Nivlan's CL 4, so either spell gets +4 HP healed in addition to the dice rolled. Add in his CHA mod (from Healing Hands) for another +3 (+7 total so far), and Augment Healing adds +2 to CLW or +4 to CModW (+9/+11 total). That would be 1d8+9 for CLW and 2d8+11 for CModW. If Nivlan's in doubt about the extent of Fryst's (or the comrade's) injuries, he'll cast Cure Moderate Wounds.

If he must end up adjacent to a skum, he'll Cast Defensively.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Darkstrider
    Ini: 2 / AC: 14 / HP 61/61 / Position: Up/Down/Up/Down/Up/Down/Up

When Kahlynn's form becomes visible in the fog Gauran steps around her to avoid a crowded space when anytime they could be attacked.

"Do not fear, Lady Kahlynn, it is only I", he whispers as she becomes aware of him.

"They seem to be everywhere, and I cannot see a damned thing. I will move farther to the stern, maybe I can get one of them there."

He takes another step and slips wholly, barely catching his fall with his elbow and ending up on his knees.

Under his breath he lets out a long string of obvious curses in his mother tongue, Gol-Kaa, and stands up again, more carefully.
    Last edited by Tyrel_Aurelian; 2007-02-21 at 02:36 AM.
    The Shadows are Your Friends - Well, actually they are Mine

25. - Top - End - #115

Kahlynn
    (Init:18 l AC 16 l HP 44/44 Position: nearly amidships)

Kahlynn crouches once more, this time nearly beside Darkstrider. Knowing she has no chance at all to aid her huge companion to his feet, she instead tries to pierce the gloom, lest anything catch them unawares.

~Bright One, please, do not forsake us~
    Avatar by Cult of the Raven! Much obliged!

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

All players: Please see the OoC for instructions.
    Improbability drive activated. The clown has been engaged.

And a huge thanks to Diabhan for the AWESOME avatar. Lizardfolk rogue FTW!

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Adur

Spoiler
    Show
    (Init: 14 | AC 18 | HP 33/41 | Position: O-6

In the mist, the bizarre figure seems nearly unreal, but the wound is very real, bringing Adur solidly back to earth. What are these creatures? Not any creature of the sea I have ever heard tell of. But whatever it is, it wants us all dead. Mindful of the sharp spear threatening him, he begins to say the words of a spell, trying to keep out of reach while keeping the creature within sight.

As he completes the spell, he gestures forwards, calling up the power of the sea, and a a strand of seaweed lashes out at the creature, wrapping about its limbs.

(Casting Kelpstrand. If he can do it without losing sight of the creature, Adur takes a 5-ft step to port to get out of reach. If not, he casts defensively. Concentration 12, which is a failure, ranged touch 15, grapple 17 since we're within 300 feet of the ocean.)
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

Right then! Forward, to resolving the round! Don't mind me using character names...keeps it simpler for me. Also don't mind this detail level being...somewhat reduced. Union labor regs. You know how it is. (also...just want to get things moving.)

...and read your own spoilers only. Gragh.

Edit: GUH! Sorry about the dual spoilers...they're fine, though. Just read both, if they're yours, and IGNORE THEM ENTIRELY if they're not. Now now...honor system, boys and...girl.

Shael -
    Spoiler
    Show
    Clinging tightly to the side of the ship with all of your limbs, you skitter across the slippery planking. As you pause, you hear splashing in the water below, followed by the soft thunks of claws or blades being driven into wood. A few seconds later, you perceive a louder and wetter thump, as though a large, wet body had just lowered itself over the railing in the fog before your eyes. In the corners of your mind, the essence of Marix bubbles over for a few seconds, and you detect a hint of genuine amusement.

Oooh...sounds like something just got a dunking and didn't favor the experience. Back on board now, it sounds like. I wonder how Skum taste...fried? No. Slow-roasted, perhaps. Either way...

Lock -
    Spoiler
    Show
    Still hopelessly entangled in the coils of the net, you begin weaving the fabric of the spell to hide you from prying eyes. Before you can complete your brief ritual, however, a dark shape leaps nimbly to the deck beside you. A blade flashes down, slitting the fabric of the net, and you recognize Yorkin through the thick mist. He helps you to your feet and nods toward the stern, whispering while holding up a finger for quiet.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Shhh...on'y me, little matey. Keep yer wits about ye'...heard yer call and had ta' help, but there's more of 'em towards the stern. Good job workin' yer spells on that first one...worried he'd drag ye off the side. Got anymore tricks up yer sleeves?"

Shortly after that, you hear a vicious burbling cry from the general direction of the creature you enspelled, followed by a muted shout of exhultation, from a halfing by the the sound of it. Several other crashes, groans, and cries find their way to you from the mist, but you're too disoriented to make much sense of any of it. Finding your balance, you peer off into the fog, on your feet once again.

Kahlynn -
    Spoiler
    Show
    Straining your ears to their limit, you can just barely make out a quiet set of footsteps from behind you. As they approach, you can tell by the gait and force of the steps that it's a small creature, a halfing or a gnome. Apart from that, you're only able to dicipher a general cacaphony of combat noises coming from further astern. One burbling, watery cry makes its way to your ears, and your keen healer's senses tell you that a creature's throat has just been slit somewhere in the mists.

Adur -
    Spoiler
    Show
    Concentrating on launching your spell without providing an opening for your barely-seen enemy, your focus slips at a critical juncture and the tendril of weed you launch at the creature in the mist disintegrates on impact. Still, the attack was apparently enough to anger the beast, and you hear an irate gurgle just before a primitive spearpoint swishes past your head before withdrawing.
    Spoiler
    Show

Canvassing your senses, you're able to discern the locations of the other combatants with a good degree of accuracy. (excuse the locational reference, but I'm going for speed here.) P5 and P6 give you returns from human-sized figures, though the one you previously detected at 05 drops to the deck following an agonized burble. Behind you, two small shapes echo in your mind at N6 and O5, with another human-shaped blip at O5 as well. Behind you, you can just make out Lock and Yorkin whispering. You get small-sized returns from K6 and O9, a large return from near the rail at M4, and more medium returns from L6, N8 and N9, O8 and O7, P9, and S8.

Sparky -
    Spoiler
    Show
    Picking your way carefully along the wet planking, you hear the sounds of combat growing louder in front of you. Eventually, you are able to see a vague outline of Kahlynn in the mist at L6 and the slipping bulk of Darkstrider at L5, recovering from a fall. As soon as he stands, however, he slips again and goes sliding off into the mist toward the rail. A split-second later you hear the sound of wood groaning under a heavy impact and a guttural grunt.

Nivlan -
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Whoa...yours was easy...) Planting your feet more firmly on the deck and spreading your arms for balance, you stay steadily on your feet. Facing toward the stern, you can hear combat to your right and to your left, and you can just make out Fryst trading blows with a mist-shrouded figure at 02. You can also make out Gigson stumbling into the rowboat at N9 and freeing himself from a net with a blade. Captain Merev at 07 also appears to take a blow from an assailant you can't perceive, and then abruptly turns and lashes out into the mist with a cutlass he draws from his belt, eliciting a watery cry from somewhere in the dark.

Shuffling steadily along to the deckspace formerly occupied by the surprisingly agile Salt, you channel your healing gifts to Fryst, just managing to reach him on his elevated stairway position. The cooling, cleansing power of your touch knits together his wound, which, though undeniably grotesque, does not appear terribly life-threatening.

Casting Cure Light Wounds to restore...3+9 = 12 HP to Fryst.

Darkstrider -
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just as you think you've got your feet back under you, you lose your balance again and go crashing to the deck. This time, the tilt of the ship on the waves and the slick deck work in conjunction to send you sliding wildly toward the edge of the ship. As you reach the edge, however, you're able to turn your back toward the edge and spread your limbs, crashing into the wooden rail with a splitnering crack but saving yourself from plunging into the water. Brushing yourself off, you stand. (end at M4) During your slide, you think you heard several vicious cries from the center-stern of the boat, but due to your disorientation you're not able to pinpoint them.
    Spoiler
    Show

((Heh heh...what'd you think that d8 and d20 were for? Slide direction and reflex save...HA! Good thing you rolled a ten...otherwise...OMGWTFBBQ!))
    Last edited by blue chicken; 2007-02-25 at 12:07 AM.
    Improbability drive activated. The clown has been engaged.

And a huge thanks to Diabhan for the AWESOME avatar. Lizardfolk rogue FTW!

29. - Top - End - #119

Eleberry Lockwidge
    ( Init: 21 | AC: 18 | HP: 28/28 (Fine) | Position: Midships'ish )

Before Lock is able to complete his spell to properly hide himself, a blade flashes before freeing him from his bindings. Apprehensive for a split second, Lock quickly realizes it's Yorkin who's helped him out of his dilemma, who helps Lock to his feet and whispers in his direction, "Shhh...on'y me, little matey. Keep yer wits about ye'...heard yer call and had ta' help, but there's more of 'em towards the stern. Good job workin' yer spells on that first one...worried he'd drag ye off the side. Got anymore tricks up yer sleeves?"

"Oh," Lock whispers back, "I do in fact have several more tricks up my sleeves. Unfortunately, the ideal situation for those tricks is that I'm able to see those I wish to fell. Though, actually...Yorkin, stay next to me. I've got an interesting idea. I don't want to be surprised by any more of those fish men again, so I'm going to create the illusion of a very dense piece of cloud about us, so you can't see into or through it. Beat those scale throats at their own game! Just remember it's a trick, and you'll be able to see through it."

Getting started on his plan, Lock starts weaving a Silent Image of the dense, impenetrable white mass about him and Yorkin. He then sets off to see what he can see.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Currently at N6, I'll move (straight towards stern) until I'm actually able to see something, friend or foe. If it's just a friend, I'll keep the ruse up, if it's a friend in combat, I'll stop over by him/her to help them out the next round. Be it a foe, same reaction. Assuming I move more than 5ft, my balance check is 20. DC 18 Will if a foe actually interacts with the extra dense part of the fog cloud, DC 19 if they are considered surprised/denied Dex for me.
    Last edited by AmoDman; 2007-02-22 at 11:04 PM.
    Shalom

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #120

Nivlan Kirk

With the attackers completely beyond his sight through the mist, Nivlan could almost imagine that they didn't exist, only the need for his friends to be healed. It's almost an escape into solipsism.

"There, Fryst," he said as he closed the halfling's wounds with a touch. "Now I gotta tend to the Captain."

OOC, Round 3:
    Spoiler
    Show
    For Roger Moore's Eyes Only:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nivlan turns around and casts Cure Light Wounds (for 13 HP in the dice rolling thread) on the Captain.

If a skum moves into a square adjoining Nivlan, but the Captain appears dangerously wounded, Nivlan will defensively cast CLW on the Captain.

If, perchance, a skum moves into an adjoining square to Nivlan, and the Captain is still relatively healthy, Nivlan will defensively cast Sanctuary on himself.
    Last edited by PolkaBear; 2007-02-25 at 08:21 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show