New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Shadowflux Risen

Round 9 - Low initiative

(Captain Merev, All)

The Dancing Karil suddenly shifts aft to starboard and bow to port in tandem with the crushing sound of impact to the ship's stern. Another serpent, far larger than those already seen, rises from the sea to tower above the raised quarterdeck, having already battered much of it into a shower of wooden chunks and splinters that eventually cascade back down and out of sight into the sea. But in the moment between, all aboard the stricken ship are severely shaken by the collision. Kahlynn is thrown hard to the deck, while Yorkin is taken fully off guard, tossed straight toward the remaining blue-scale, who somehow finds the wherewithall to dodge the body as it flies to land with a thud precariously close to the nearly twenty-foot drop over the shattered edge. Lock, surprised from behind as he faces toward the bow is also knocked to the deck, but manages to turn a shoulder enough to roll and avoid injury. Shael, standing beside him is also unable to keep his feet as the powerful jolt races through the ship. The elf, at least, manages to mitigate most of the injury, as he twists to avoid direct impact with the main mast footing, bouncing from the rounded corner and just avoiding rolling down the crew cabin stairs. Sparky, being so near the aft rail, potentially, receives the worst result of the lot, being thrown completely clear of the ship, dropping just shy of twenty feet into the water, disappearing for a moment, but bobbing to the surface as the current, though weakened from before, carries him along behind with a fair bit of flotsam to keep him company.

As the crew and passengers are preoccupied with the shock of impact, the enormous serpent raises its huge head, though tiny by comparison to its massive leathery body, pivots, striking down and forward at the nearest target, snapping the aft mast near its footing with a resounding crack that threatens to pierce your eardrums. The spire of wood crashes down toward Yorkin's position only a split-second before, having already been knocked from his feet, by sheer luck, and managing to avoid being crushed to pulp under the mast's massive weight, made more fierce coupled with force of its momentum. The column of wood slams into the deck, destroying a section of the starboard rail before rebounding, flipping and dropping heavily into the sea not twenty feet from Sparky.

With mouth agape, bearing teeth the size of a man's leg, the serpent removes most of Merev from his beloved ship. A sickening crunch carries along the wind, accompanying the sound of shattered deck wood as the heavier chunks clatter down. The massive head pulls back with a whiplike motion taking its tiny meal with it as it rolls away from the ship and bears aft and to port, silently slipping beneath the surface.

A few moments later, the captain's hands finally release their death grip upon the helm spokes and drop to the deck amidst the debris.

(Blue Skum 1)

Perhaps fearing continued attacks from the serpents, the blue-scale brings his shell-covered shield fully before itself in an effort to prevent Fryst from delaying its escape. Backing off toward the edge, it allows itself to fall limply overboard, though it springs to life as it breaks the surface, pumping its webbed feet and quickly disappearing below.

(All)

The ship, still riding high on the weakening current despite the massive damage to her stern, is definitely doomed to ground upon the rocky shoals ahead. Her current condition, the speed, and the sinister aspect of the rock spires spells both the likely end of the Dancing Karil and the definite end of your voyage upon her.

(Sparky)

Your short plummet into the warm water was hardly intended, but you find yourself quickly bobbing to the surface and racing along just behind the ship, upon the same stiff current that carries her. Around you, flotsam composed of shards and splinters of the quarterdeck, aft port hull planking and odds and ends shaken free from the now gaping hole into the captain's den and cargo hold.

Your bobbing and rolling renders it difficult to focus upon your destination, but it is clearly obvious you head toward a rocky shoal. With luck on your side, you manage to grab hold of a large, flat plank that may serve to absorb some of the inevitable impact.

(Gauran, Green Skum 3)

Your determination to rid the ship of skum is not deterred by the violent appearance and disappearance of the huge serpent. You raise your heavy-headed hammer just as the green skum attempts to dodge over the rail. Correcting instantly, you manage to swat the thing across its lower body, sending it spinning down and into the water. Its lower body was a complete mess as it hit the surface and it's quickly lost to sight. As you watched, you noticed that the serpent that had impacted the rail behind Nivlan was no longer circling about, no doubt long since gone, it's broad, deep keeled bulk not appreciative of the strange beauty of the spire-dotted rocky shoals.

(Nivlan, Green Skum 3)

You thought, for a brief instant, to strike at the skum with your dagger as it tried to escape, but, instead, you shy back realizing Gauran's hammer would quite likely catch you should you get so close to its target. Instead, you pause momentarily as the goliath swats the ill-fated skum like a fly, and quickly takes a finally clear option to summon forth the glow of healing energy upon yourself, erasing all but the smallest of your painful wounds in a mere moment.

(Kahlynn)

The violent shaking of the deck due to the serpent's impact takes your feet from beneath you, throwing you down against the lip of the cargo hatch door as a chunk of quarterdeck planking rains down, embedding a large splinter into your shoulder, before falling away to leave a deep, bleeding puncture wound. But your concerns remained on Adur, lying helpless and certainly dying if not dead already. Mouthing another plea to Pelor, you rise quickly, ignoring all else happening around you, focusing entirely on your errand of desperate mercy, and move as far as your unsteady legs could take you toward the stricken druid. You manage to step around the debris, bringing yourself beside the still sprawled form of Shael, and within mere feet of Gauran's massive bulk, but it was close enough and now you had a direct line of sight to Adur's body, crumpled and tucked as it was in the point of the prow. You could hardly fail to notice the impending situation directly before you. The rocky shoals stretched out ahead, spires of rock or coral reaching high into the air in some places; certain death for a ship this size, even in the best of condition.

2. - Top - End - #212

~~~

There remains no doubt that the Dancing Karil will see its last moments as flotsam eventually collected upon the rocks of this forsaken island. An ignominious end, for sure. Possibly the Captain's own tragic end was a piece of luck in disguise for him, as it would be a close choice between such a death and the sight of his beloved ship breaking up upon the rocky shoals while under his futile command.

The skum, save for a bedraggled blue-scale, have all been vanquished, or have fled, having miscalculated their own situation. Unfortunately, Salt, Gigson and the stern but amiable Captain Merev are now part of the history of this place. With some luck, perhaps more than you have, perhaps not, you may someday be able to tell the tale of the Dancing Karil and the crew that braved the nomansland far beyond the Wyche's Line, when so many others had cringed at the mere idea.

But for now, you must either brace for impact and hope for the best, or choose another course. But there is precious little time....

~~~

End of Round 9

- click for full size grid -

~~~

Prevailing Conditions: none. No balance checks required for normal circumstances.

Current initiative positions and damage report:

22 Shael - slightly injured
    21 Lock - uninjured
    16 Jorme - uninjured
    15 Yorkin - uninjured
    14 Adur - prone/helpless/dying
    11 Fryst - lightly injured
    11 Blue Skum 3 - badly injured

--------round divider--------

09 Sparky - overboard
    03 Nivlan - slightly injured
    02 Gauran - large size (10' tall), moderately injured
    01 Kahlynn - slightly injured

~~~
    Last edited by Velvet Elvis; 2007-09-12 at 10:24 PM.

3. - Top - End - #213

Eleberry Lockwidge
    ( Round 10 | Init: 21 | AC: 18 | HP: 28/28 (Fine) | Position: About to be crushed. )

This is bad, Lock thinks. He gets up and glances about at his allies, about to suffer the same fate as him. Unfortunately, my own skin is all I might be able to get out of this situation. Best of luck to you all.Lock then stares at the approaching rocky shoals, and prepares himself for the spell to save his life. If he did it way out here, he'd have to swim in from the ocean, so he had to make this as close as possible.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Okay, I'm going to ready an action to cast Levitate on myself just before the ship hits the rocky shoals to get my a** out of the fire, as they say, shooting up 20 feet as soon as I do. After the combat or next round if there is one I'll probably be descending and attempting to "clamber" my way onto the island as per "the recipient [of the spell can] clamber along the face of a cliff, for example, or push against a ceiling to move laterally (generally at half its base land speed)."
    Shalom

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #214

Nivlan Kirk

With the green skum no longer obstructing access to Adur, Nivlan can see that the druid is still in bad shape. Kahlynn had made her way to him and is doing what she can; but surely she can use help--he's pretty far gone. He steps beside her.

Panicked by the threatened ship, but focused by the need before him, he casts a healing spell on Adur.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This post assumes that Nivlan can get this action off before the Big Bang. According to the Dice Rolling Thread, he heals Adur for 21 HP.

It would seem that we'll have no way of retrieving our supplies and stuff before The End. I guess we'll have to wish for a Swiss Family Robinson-type bounty once we wash ashore.
    "So it works in practice. Who cares? Does it work in theory?"
    Spoiler
    Show

PolkaBear by Ceika | Eckher by Wayril
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Characters: Clunch Lian
    PolkaBear avatar courtesy of Ceika

5. - Top - End - #215

Shael Greyswan
    (Round 10, Init: 22 | AC: 14 | HP: 24/26 (Slightly injured) | Position: Lifeboat)

Shael's body is sore and stiff, wracked with chills from the saltwater and wind. Gooseflesh tingles along his arms, and a cold sweat blends with the spray on his bold nose and brow as he strains to control Marix. His mind still reels from the blow he sustained as he landed, but reflexes and the attentive devil behind his eyes bring him into action. A swift glance and he dismisses that last, enfeebled skum. The monster is no longer a threat.

Eldritch energy crackles and dances about his entire right side, and is beginning to leap from finger to finger on his left. He crawls swiftly on hands and knees, his spiderclimbing invocations steadying him, and pulls himself up to the boat. His thin-bladed knife makes a quick slice, sawing through the nearest rope securing the boat to the deck.

Imbecile! This dinghy is half-full of water! It will sink! A faint grin, quite close to maniacal, twists Shael's lips. Not if I capsize it!

Spoiler
    Show
    Spiderclimbing/crawling the distance to the starboard lifeboat (the one without the skum), and cutting a rope. Once its in the water, it will ideally capsize, useable as a float, even upside-down. It's a tenuous hope, but my best bet for survival, really.
    Last edited by Annarrkkii; 2007-03-21 at 05:54 AM.
    Good grammar is hot.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Fryst

"GAURAN!" shouts the little halfling in a surprisingly loud voice. "GAURAN!! CAN YOU LOWER A BOAT OVER THE SIDE ... SO WE CAN GET THE INJURED ABOARD AND BOARD IT. That should increase our lifespan momentarily ... and I have a rope ... we can grab ... close to the cliffs, so that ... when the boat ... capsizes ... we can climb ... together."

The last words come out in bursts as he moves forward to N6, stowing his staff as he goes. His clothes are still spattered with fish-creature blood, with even a few drops on his brow, but he pays it no heed whatsoever, his attention totally on this next challenge - survival. They didn't promise us a stroll in the woods, and I guess this isn't one.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Darkstrider
    [Round 10 / Ini:2 / AC:9 / HP:57/73 Battered / Rage Round 7 / Position: On the run...]

Rising through the mists of his rage is the imminent doom of the Dancing Karyl, with his last foe vanishing even his weapon ceases to exert its inexorable control over his bloodlust. Gauran takes the situation in, seeing the two clerics attempting to reach Adur with their spells but also the rapidly nearing rock spires, and makes a decision as he hears Fryst's shouts from the aft.

I have to keep it flowing... I cannot afford to be weakened right now... use it, Gauran, use it and stay alive!

He makes a grab for the limp form of Adur and lopes for the starboard rowing boat, half dragging, half hauling the druid with him and yelling underway:

"YOU PRIESTS FOLLOW ME! HEAL THIS SACK OF MEAT IF IT IS NOT BEYOND YOUR ABILITIES, BUT DO IT NOW!"

When he reaches the boat he notices that the boat is half-filled with water, and promptly spits a string of Gol-Kaa curses:

"$%§&$%&§!!!!$%&/$&(/$!$%&($%$!!!!$%($%($!!!"

He drops the druid quite unceremonially to the floor and prepares to topple the rowing boat...

"FRYST! I NEED A HAND HERE!"
    Last edited by Tyrel_Aurelian; 2007-03-21 at 03:26 AM.
    The Shadows are Your Friends - Well, actually they are Mine

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Adur

From somewhere, energy flows into his form, and wounds cease to bleed and begin knitting themselves shut, though Adur is not aware of that. All he is aware of is the sudden peace, as though he has been resting for weeks upon a soft bed, though strange noises and a rocking motion filter through...

...and Adur is jolted from his respite by a huge arm and shouting suddenly come nearer. Blinking awake, memories filter back: the boat, the skum at the bow... We are still upon the same ship? How long has it been? The sight of one of the skum's corpses is enough to jar him out of his reverie. No time has passed at all, it seems... No sooner has the thought occurred than he is unceremoniously dropped to the deck.

Twisting about to raise himself off the deck, Adur spots the rapidly looming crag, and his eyes widen in surprise. We'll never make it away from that in time...

Spoiler
    Show
    Don't know how much of that I'll have time to do before we hit, but if there's time, Strength check to aid another came out to 10. Barely succeeded.

Edit- Apparently none of it. Edited.
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2007-03-21 at 11:05 PM.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

9. - Top - End - #219
    Halfling in the Playground

Sparky

Sparky quickly clambers onto the nearby piece of wreckage and nimbly gets to his feet. The planking wobbles slightly as he stands, but the forward rush of the surf seems to help it stay somewhat stable. Just keep your balance until you see beach, then a jump and tumble and roll. Wow, a real sea serpent. Dad will be so proud!

"I'm okay everyone, just going to try to get on land. Be careful. Wow, did everyone see the Sea Serpent? That was amazing."

Poor Salt...I hope all the other crewmen are okay too. This plank riding through the surf is pretty neat. I should come up with a name for it.
    Last edited by Avernaith; 2007-03-21 at 10:10 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed - try new dice!

10. - Top - End - #220

Kahlynn round 10
    (Init:18 l AC 16 l HP ?/44 l Position: prone on deck

Half-blinded by the stinging spray, Kahlynn clutches her shoulder with one hand, and single-mindedly calls upon her God to send His rays of well-being to her intended target. Pelor! Help me to aid my comrade in his hour of need, and i will enter your Embrace with a joyous heart ...

...for it's far too late to teach your servant to swim...

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Cure Moderate on Adur, am assuming he still needs healing, because I couldn't find listed hit points. Nor do I know how many I'm down.
    Avatar by Cult of the Raven! Much obliged!

11. - Top - End - #221
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kahlynn, Sparky, Snark -
    Spoiler
    Show
    GAH! You guys ninja-posted me! It's not too horrible, though...Snark, I'm afraid that your transformation simply didn't occur, since you'd just awakened when the ship impacted. Kahlynn, your healing spell wasn't completed either...Sparky...you're lucky. Your post seems fine to me...might want to make a balance check, if you could, though.

Act II, Scene I: Rocks, Rookeries, and Revelations

*~*
    Time seems to slow for the companions aboard the stricken vessel. The Karil, rather than dancing, is now beginning to wallow; despite her sturdy construction and heretofore excellent maintainence and crewing, her wound is grievous, and the heavy seas and vicious currents surrounding her are taking their toll. Water rushes into the smashed port quarter, a blue-green flood capped with white that seals the fate of the doomed ship. Even as the tide washes into the Karil's inner compartments, however, a flood of debris and cast-off items swirls out into the water, buoyed on a foamy counter-current and swept briskly toward the cliffs of the onrushing island.

The Karil, still striving valliantly to hold the course set by her recently departed captain, plows on through the waves in spite of her handicap. Her injury, however, is not so easily overcome; the weight of the water filling the vessel causes the back end to settle and drag, raising the bow while pushing the aft section closer to the water line and slewing the ship to port. On the upper decks, the footing becomes treacherous as the torturous groanings of the dying vessel manifest themselves as shuddering vibrations, making footing unsure and reactive activity extremely difficult. Had Salt or Captain Merev been alive to bear witness to the sights and sounds of the Karil's demise, their hearts would undoubtedly be rent asunder. The sounds of the failing vessel are those of a dying mother; heartbroken, betrayed, and helpless to protect her charges. The Karil's stern makes violent contact with a submerged shoal and shears from the main body of the ship with the sound of hope evaporating. Fryst, Yorkin, Jorme, and the unrecognizable remains of what had until recently been Salt are lost with the wreckage, disappearing at least temporarily into the green oblivion of the island's shallows.

On the forward section, the companions fall to the deck as the lighter bow section rights itself in the water, still careening at a considerable clip toward a narrow inlet in the cliffs. Nivlan nearly goes over the side at the jolt, having just completed his incantations to preserve the fragile link binding Adur to the world of the living. Luckily for the Druid, fate has not yet seen fit to snip the thread of his life on the rocks and shoals of the uncharted sea, and his eyes flicker open just as another powerful jolt rocks the shattering wooden shell that was once the Dancing Karil. Kahlynn barely manages to stagger upright before the new shock throws her to the deck once more, bloodying her nose, the white-hot pain of the impact causing a flash that dims her sight for a brief second. Gauran, staggering toward the aft section of the ship at the time of its seperation, goes to his knees, his hopes of reaching the starboard lifeboat vanishing in a curtain of salty spray as the impact rends the heavy rowboat from its moorings and sends it bumping over the shorn-off stern to land in the sea, filled with splinters and foam, but miraculously upright. Across the deck, Shael's holed vessel follows a similar path, sliding through the splintered deck railings and dropping into the water with the manic Shael still inside, a demon screeching unintelligibly in his head as the lifeboat begins filling immediately.

The source of the jolt is not immediately apparent, but the horrid grinding and clattering as the Karil's bottom is torn out by submerged shoals leaves little doubt as to the racket's origins after a few seconds. Before the hulk can settle, however, it hangs up, a sand and gravel bottom visible just over a fathom down, the Karil's prow burrowed deeply. The wreckage seems to be in little imminent danger of sinking, and the companions remaining aboard have just begun to pick themselves up when a wave slams into the open cavity astern. The impetus of the water itself is immense, and proves too much when combined with the awkward angle and pitiful condition at which the once-Karil has come to her final rest. Within seconds the remaining ribbing holding the wreck together buckles, folding outward and ripping the deck out from under the feet of the party on board. Everyone above is swept away in a hail of water, wreckage, and confusion with the sole exception of Lock, who utters a last incantation and launches himself into the air with a sweeping gesture of his hands, rising several meters above the wavetops and hanging motionless over the water.

Mechanics spoiler (1d10 Impact check rolled off-site...1-3 bad news) -
    Spoiler
    Show

Sparky - 10
    Gauran- 8
    Kahlynn- 9
    Nivlan- 6
    Shael- 7
    Fryst- 4
    Adur- 7

What?! You lucky little...gah.

For just a few seconds more, time seems to stop completely, revealing the scene in its perfect chaos.

A massive, broad-shouldered behemoth standing in defiance of the waves, his broad shoulders and head just protruding from the treacherous waters, his tremendous strength and a sinister warhammer his only hope for survival.

Two healers, each a sparkle of divinely-inspired illumination, set adrift on a sea of inky darkness with only the godly glimmer of their mutual deity to light their shaded way.

Two halfling adventurers, both brimming with vitality and energy, one filled with an unquenchable lust for life and the other with a passionate frenzy and feline intuition, thrown to the fickle mercies of a capricious sea.

Two orphaned crewmen, shorn from the ship and captain they loved, forced to make their own ways with only each other and a group of former passengers they've just begun to know.

A mysterious druid, torn between the mysterious worlds of fey and human, lost in the space between nature and civilization...dragged back from the world of death by the grace of Pelor and cast into a watery pergatory.

An elf divided against himself, waging an unceasing war of wills with an alien consciousness he's only barely beginning to understand and striving all the while to control forces that threaten to tear him apart from the inside.

A resourceful gnome, relying upon the force of his personality and his magical gifts to get him into and out of situations that are tight even for one so small...alone, now, seperated by foresight and magic from his floundering compatriots.

Dispersed, they linger on the water's surface, ten seperate lives, bound up in a common quest for survival...swept, now, by the fury of wind and wave toward an unknowable and terrifying ordeal the likes of which none of them have ever dreamed of.

A bare second later, the surreal stillness of the scene is shattered as another wave sweeps through the shoals, pummeling the living, dragging them from the numbing calm of shock and daring them to fight for their lives yet again.

*~*

Players-
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, there you have it. Talk about fun to write. You're all in the open water, now, about 40 yards from the "beach," in water about 10 feet deep. Make your swim checks, or do whatever it is you intend to do to survive. There are debris around...a floating lifeboat is within 30' of anyone's position but Sparky, and Shael is presently in a sinking, holded, right-side-up lifeboat. Good luck; hope everyone's clear on what happened.
    Last edited by blue chicken; 2007-03-22 at 04:07 PM.
    Improbability drive activated. The clown has been engaged.

And a huge thanks to Diabhan for the AWESOME avatar. Lizardfolk rogue FTW!

12. - Top - End - #222

Eleberry Lockwidge

Lock breaths a sigh of relief. That was a close one, he thinks. Having little resources to attempt trying to help any of the others floating about, Lock carefully descends back to the surface of the ocean. Making sure his gear is securely fastened, he then nabs a nice plank out of the water. "A rowing we shall go," he says with a chuckle, as he then uses the board as a paddle in the water to propel himself through the air and towards the island. Fancy Wizards and their Flight spells, he thinks, I had to work my *ss off to get ahold of this little trick alone.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: No, I have no idea what mechanics are involved in "rowing." Levitate says characters can pull/push themselves along to move laterally at half their base speed, so rule whatever you wish. I should make it to shore well within the spell's 5 minute duration. He is, of course, ready to shoot back up in the air at any and every first sign of trouble .
    Shalom

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #223
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Darkstrider

The impetus of the wave swiping him from the deck, Gauran falls into the water with a monumental impact, slowing himself just enough to land on his enlarged feet. As his head surges out of the water to draw breath he only has time to notice the second wave before it washes over him, leaving him spluttering curses and seawater.

Then he begins defying the ocean and walks to the beach, matching the strength of the waves step by step until he sets foot on the beach.

With every passing step on the beach Gauran's form diminishes in size, until it reaches its normal dimensions - still huge compared to a mere man, but not the incredibly large raging giant anymore.
    After a moment of utter exhaustion from the change he rallies his strength and turns to take in the situation.

Mechanics
    Spoiler
    Show

I would take a Full-Round Action three times to move towards the shore. In the dice-rolling-thread I have made 3 Swim Checks with 34, 32 and 19. Basically, of course I could swim, but it would be so cool if you'd grant me the walk action , please?

If I could manage to move in every round just 15 feet (Half speed for a successful Swim Check would be 20 feet) I should reach the beach and then my rage is over, reducing my size to normal again.

If I cannot walk I should reach the beach within the first two rounds swimming.

The Shadows are Your Friends - Well, actually they are Mine

14. - Top - End - #224

Shael Greyswan

For a brief moment, Shael's appearance is exquisitely comical. The crackling energy around him winks out as he shoves Marix's irate conscious from his mind by shear force of will. Water drenches him as he crouches awkwardly in a rapidly sinking rowboat. His wide-brimmed hate droops forlornly above a wide-eyed, pale face, his mouth slightly agape. His clothes are darkened with water—soaked completely through—and the boat is beginning to list sideways as it sinks.

If only there'd been a lake at the monastery.

With a grimace, he scrambles across the boat and leaps into the water, flailing his arms and pumping his legs—not bothering trying to resist the powerful currents, only floundering through the water towards the nearest bit of floating, large flotsam.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just what the post says. The relevant Swim rolls are 11 and 17, I think. He's launching himself out of the lifeboat toward the nearest supporting flotsam. He's not really trying to make any progress, especially, just stay afloat and collide with some floating stuff, whether it comes to him or he comes to it is of no consequence.
    Good grammar is hot.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Dwarf in the Playground

Shael: The list of the boat, combined with the push from your legs as you exit, serves to turn the half-filled vessel onto its side. It performs a sluggish roll in the water after a few seconds, the upright side of the hull completing the loop that your spring began and slamming to the surface. Now up-ended, the wrecked lifeboat floats awkwardly, its timbers buoyant enough to support it despite the hole in what is now the top of the floating shell. It bobs up and down for a few seconds, spinning slightly before stabilizing and beginning to sweep toward shore with the tide.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Fryst

Fryst rises smoothly out of the depths and surfaces within moments ... his mind going back to a time far in his past when he almost lost his life and his spirit guide came to save him. He grabs smoothly for a piece of flotsam Why swim unaided if you don't have to?, stops for a moment to take his bearings and see if his comrades are fine We'll need all the help we can get ashore and then starts kicking towards either the person in most trouble to offer them a flotation aid, or the shore.
    Last edited by KuH; 2007-03-22 at 05:06 PM.

17. - Top - End - #227

Shael Greyswan

Sputtering, Shael reverses to capitalize on the newly available flotation device. He wraps his arms over the top, not pulling himself entirely on, and adds to his buoyancy by extending his legs out from the craft, and giving them occasionally pumps to stay afloat. His hands maintain a firm purchase on the slick wood, thanks to enchantments laid on him with Marix's power.
    Good grammar is hot.

18. - Top - End - #228

Nivlan Kirk

Nivlan coughs out the shot of salt water that he snorted when he was tossed into the water. He treads water for a few seconds, looking for anyone that may need help.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yay for taking 10! (Unless you rule that he's distracted/threatened by the foundered ship) If Nivlan sees someone in immediate peril, he will swim to them and attempt to help--by pushing him/her a plank or something, not by allowing himself to be manhandled and inadvertently drowned. If not, he'll strike out for the rowboat, climb into it, and row to pick up anyone else he sees. (Are the oars secured inside it? They should be.)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #229

Kahlynn

Hitting the water with an undignified splash, she tries to stay calm as panic floods her as surely as seawater. Even her oftenest-said prayers desert her as she struggles to stay afloat. Unsure of which way to go or how to get there, Kahlynn merely tries to keep her head above water, leaving her at the cold mercy of the waves.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Dwarf in the Playground

Status update: (non-literary, sorry...swim checks don't merit much of a write-up. Excuse the time-lapses as well...they're just for convenience.)

Gauran- Safely (heading) ashore.

Sparky - Safely (heading) ashore.

Fryst - Attempting to aid Kahlynn swimming. (Roll your own swim check, and if successful, roll a check for "aid another", and if successful Nivlan can add a +2 bonus to his modified check...aid only on rounds Kahlynn fails her check) Add a +4 bonus on your checks for the float. Still in peril.

Nivlan - Attempting to aid Kahlynn swimming. (+5 (now +7...see Kahlynn's entry below) DC to your checks to bring her along, rolled every round she fails a swim check. Note that Fryst is trying to assist, assuming he continues to do so and can keep himself afloat. Still in peril.

Adur (NPC'd) Made a successful swim check to stay on the surface, then transformed into aerial form and flew to the beach. Safe.

Lock - Rowing to shore (in the air?) safely. Considered safe until beach is reached/actions are modified.

Shael - Kicking on boat toward shore. Swim checks assumed succesful. Hands not free for other activity. Still in (slight) peril.

Jorme/Yorkin - Swimming to board floating lifeboat. Still in peril.

Kahlynn - Holding breath under water. Rolling a concealed Will save to avoid panic, DC 13. Oh...11. How sad. HA! Add an additional +2 to the swim DC to assist you. (Increased checks apply only on rounds you fail your swim checks.)

All: You notice the water around the reefs boiling in a manner not consistent with what you've seen of the regular rip-current. The disturbance is moving over a wide area toward the position of the PC's still in the water.

21. - Top - End - #231

Shael Greyswan

And... stay there... you monster... Grimacing and spitting saltwater, Shael pumps his legs awkwardly, drifting with the current toward shore atop the back of the boat.

And then he notices the advancing froth, and gurgles an oath through salt-parched lips, gone suddenly dry with fright, "Broken eggs and leafblight, what in the homel—Hell's name is that!"

He roars, gagging on fresh saltwater, "Fryst! ::cough:: Something's coming! Hurry!"

Clapping a hand to his head to steady his hat, Shael swings his legs up and under, along side the edge of the boat, sliding his back up onto it, clutching tightly to the boat. Not a technical maneuver, by any means, but hopefully sufficient to blend him with the drifting piece of flotsam when combined with the dark, turbulent waters and surrounding debris.

Spoiler
    Show
    Eek! Monstas inna wadder! I'm trying to get as much of myself on the "lifeboat" as I can, without destabilizing it or making it/me sink, and then tucking my legs in along and under the side hoping to blend in with its shape to the casual observer/predator.
    Good grammar is hot.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Fryst

What am I doing here! I'm no great swimmer!! And I once almost lost my life doing this!! Fryst bravely catches his breath, and sees if he can reach down to help Kahlynn, while holding tightly to his float with the other hand.

Hold steady, she is with you, feel her, see her, there - her hand is on you Fryst moves smoothly through the water, shocking those who have never imagined feline grace and water combining, and successfully reaches the struggling Kahlynn, as he lifts her towards the surface. His leopard skin cloak floats on the waves behind him as he shakes his tousled hair, and pulls Kahlynn's hands towards a float.
    Last edited by KuH; 2007-03-23 at 07:54 PM.

23. - Top - End - #233

Nivlan Kirk

Nivlan saw Kahlynn struggling, flailing about in her panic. She's going to drown on her own. I need to--thank Pelor, Fryst is helping her too.

While Fryst maneuvered Kahlynn toward a piece of debris floating nearby, Nivlan maneuvered the debris toward Kahlynn.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Crappity crap crap. 7 out of 10 rolls (once I put them in the correct thread) were 5 or less. Maybe I should have Kahlynn roll my dice for me.
    Last edited by PolkaBear; 2007-03-24 at 04:51 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #234
    Dwarf in the Playground

Edit (Oops!) Sparky - Paddling for all you're worth as you hang on to your chunk of debris, you skim across the surface of the water in a fast section of current, riding the waves as you do so. Though not yet out of the water, you're far from your companions and out of peril. The rocky beach approaches. (Note: You'll be out next round.)

Nivlan, Fryst, Kahlynn
    - Confusion begins to replace shock and adrenaline only seconds after the three companions enter the water. Fryst, struggling valiantly, reaches under the water and is just able to haul a combative Kahlynn to the surface, receiving a few sound clouts across the face in return for his efforts. Nivlan flounders in the water nearby in his efforts to help, but between the two of them they manage to push a float to the struggling healer. She does not calm, however, and though she now grips the float with a vice-like deathgrip, her situation seems little improved from a few moments previously. (Note: All three swimmers now have a flotation device for +4 bonuses to swim checks.)

Shael -
    Spoiler
    Show
    FOOL!! Since when has hiding ever helped you solve your problems? What are you doing? Will water stop you so easily? Perhaps it will...but it will not stop ME! Release us! Cook whatever it is before it sinks our raft!

All in the water, over the water, and on the beach - Strong swimmers, both Jorme and Yorkin appear to have made it safely to the drifting lifeboat and have clambered aboard without flipping it. During their struggle, however, the current, ever treacherous, has dragged the dinghy further back out the inlet, and Yorkin's determined strokes on the oars appear barely sufficient to bring it back into the in-rushing channel against the rip current. He appears to be pulling for all he's worth, though as the boat nears the foaming patch of water concern is evident on his face even from a distance. Jorme is perched on the bow, a hand shading his eyes and the other cupped around his mouth to yell. His shout sounds out over the distance, just reaching the ears of all listening over the rising hiss off the thrashing waters.

"Lock! Loooooooooooock! You have to help Kahlynn! Something's in the water! They'll all drooooooown!!"

Meanwhile, for those in the water, the approaching peril is no longer quite so distant. As the furthest extensions of the bubbling reach your position, you begin to feel an increasing barrage of painful pinpricks against the parts of your bodies below the waves. Few in number now, it's clear enough from the density of the approaching disturbance that a sizable swarm of something will be upon you very shortly. Whatever it is, it hurts enough now that you're less than inclined to experience its full force when it arrives in a few seconds. Some of the creatures that comprise the swarm seem to have been borne upward by the densely-packed mass of their compatriots underneath, and every now and again a small creature can be seen cresting the surface before smacking back to the water with a small splash; in fact, as they close, it appears that this jumping and splashing is the source of the disturbance.

Shael, Kahlynn, Fryst, Nivlan - Roll spot checks
    , DC 15. If you succeed, you see...
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...the most disturbing medley of shrimp and nightmare that you've ever heard tell of. Just an inch or two in length, the bizaree creatures skipping on the surface of the water seem to be covered by a tough outer shell and are propelling themselves with flicks of tiny but powerful tails as well as with a disquieting array of spiny appendages along their lower sides. Four small tentacles bristle from the facial regions of each creature, an eery purple-green in contract with the clearish hue of their carapaces.

If you make the spot check, roll a knowledge: Nature check, DC 13. If you succeed...
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...you recognize enough of the tiny terrors' anatomy to classify them as some kind of swarm-feeding aquatic predator, similar to but different from others you're familiar with. You get the feeling that these are somehow...older...and more primitive than specimens you've seen before. The stings you're feeling are undoubtedly administered through the tentacles you've recognized, and from what you know and feel you worry that they're administering a deadening nerve-venom that could slow and eventually stop your movements to make you easier prey.

Last edited by blue chicken; 2007-03-25 at 04:06 PM.

25. - Top - End - #235

Shael Greyswan

Hissing oaths in Elven and Infernal, not bothering to try and conceal his obviously fluent understanding of the less sociable side of the devil language, Shael tries grimly to scramble the rest of the way onto his raft, making use of his spiderclimbing ability as he tries to hoist himself out of the water. The perforated hull of the rowboat may prove to be a less than ideal float, but he'd rather not be in the water when the few burning stings become more.
    Good grammar is hot.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Fryst

Fryst shouts out "WE NEED HELP!! We call these Zargist - deadly aquatic shrimp with a nerve poison. If we get out of this alive, I'd like a few dozen ... BUT LET'S GET OUT, NOW." He looks frantically around for a larger piece of flotsam to swim towards and drag himself out of the water in ... or the lifeboat if that is closer and starts to swim quickly towards it.

OOC: Possible further comment coming after chat with DMs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, with a spot check of 31 I probably can count the feelers on them ... and with a Know Nature check of 28 - that was a natural 20 - I suppose I can place the phyla and genus.
    Last edited by KuH; 2007-03-25 at 04:59 PM.

27. - Top - End - #237

Kahlynn

Buoyed by the piece of floating debris and the assistance of her comrades, Kahlynn manages to keep her head above water long enough to set her sights on the shore. Unable to do anything about the swarming creatures, she begins to pray to herself through clenched teeth, and kick for the shallows.

You are my Sunshine, my only Sunshine
    You make me happp-eeee when skies are grey
    You surely know, Pelor, how much I love you
    Please don't take my sun shine away....
    Last edited by Kahlynn; 2007-03-25 at 09:37 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238

Eleberry Lockwidge

Lock sighs. Yup, he thinks, I've gotta try to save 'em. Less allies means less chance of completing this quest. Trust is a two way thing, they say, and I'm almost out of spells...

Rising a bit out of the water for his own protection, Lock desperately searches the recesses of his mind for a magical solution to others' plight. Grabbing the first idea he has not knowing if it'll work or not, Lock produces a stick of incense which instantly begins to glow and smoke and then seems to explode in a myriad of beautifully shifting colors, which fly over and cover the area where the bubbling in the water is.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Casting Hypnotic Pattern over the bubbly. The radius should have it extend well into the water..

Doh, I forgot to roll my 2d4 if my spell works. Total HD I can affect is 9.
    Last edited by AmoDman; 2007-03-25 at 11:02 PM.
    Shalom

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Adur

The transformation had been almost instinctual to Adur; he could swim, had gone swimming many times in streams and lakes, but unknown waters, particularly ones such as these, could be dangerous; and as the druid wings to shore, he realizes his companions might need his aid.

Doing a quick circle before landing, he spots his companions, coming in to the beach with varying degrees of aptitude and speed; in particular, he spots the strangely disturbed waters. Sharks? No; they would be visible if there were enough of them to make such a disturbance. Some smaller fish, perhaps, or some more of this sea's strange magic.

As he lands, he transforms once more, the clawed feet of an enormous osprey stretching into his human form once more. He turns to look back out to sea, wondering what to do. Should I return to aid them...? No, if the enemy is underwater I would be useless out there. Aware that his energies are nearing depletion, he weaves magic out of the air to summon a creature from cold arctic seas, pointing to the water, and in the water a shape made of ice begins to form.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Conjure Ice Beast II at maximum range, which I think is 35 feet. Summoning an ice beast version of a Small water elemental, with the breath weapon (1d6 cold in a 30-ft cone, Reflex DC 11 half, every 1d4 rounds) and cold aura (1d6 cold to all within 10 feet at the start of every its turn) abilities. HP: 19. Construct immunities and special vulnerabilities as usual, natural armor changed from +6 to +2, Strength upped to 18, everything else is the same as the elemental. We'll get to instructions when I know what's going on next round.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

30. - Top - End - #240
    Dwarf in the Playground

((OOC...so...do you guys trust me with off-site rolls? I really like to use the dice bag from the d20srd, just because it's handy...and I only ask because that shrimp swarm with a will save of 0 just rolled...um...a seventeen...which...is Lock's spell DC... Sorry. Should I do them somewhere more visible from now on, or do you mind the surprise?

Edit: Luckily, I just noticed that dear Lock gets +1 to his illusion spells. Yay, feats....and pretty colors. Talk about close calls.

In addition...we're not in an initiative stack or anything, strictly because I don't feel like it. Don't sweat it too much.))

All - With a toss of his wrist, Lock casts an illusory pattern of mind-satiating colors toward the dirsturbance. The colorful ball seems to burst like fireworks just above the swarm of aquatic creatures bearing down upon his companions, sparkling brightly for a brief second before resolving into a subtler twisting array of colors, shapes, and patterns. Though at first the colors seem to have little effect on the near-mindless horde, after a few seconds the forward momentum of the rushing water pauses, slowing gradually in its advance before curling back in and over itself. Directly beneath the pattern, the water erupts into a constant splatter of foam as tiny creatures break the surface and plunge back into the water at very short intervals. Rather than being fascinated, the tiny creatures seem enraged, the subtleties of the hypnotism clearly lost on their primitive senses. Still, their advance seems to have halted, and the companions in the water quickly notice a slackening and eventual cessation of the stings to their legs. Or at least they think they do; though the barrage of envenomed strikes has ceased for the moment, the warm numbness of poison-induced fatigue is already beginning to set in. Any more poison in the systems of the swimming companions would have undoubtedly completed the insidious work of sapping their strength, leaving them helpless in their watery environs.

Stroking with all their might, the three comrades manage to put some distance between themselves and the rainbow lights, moving almost 30 feet toward the shore. (90 feet remaining.)

On the beach, Adur completes a complex series of gestures, eventually invoking the keystone energies of a summoning spell. Icy vapors rise from the water some distance offshore, coallescing and crystalizing to form the physical manifestation of what seems to be an icy water elemental. Formed of the very water it now resides in, the embodiment of cold, the icy chunk of elemental bobs on the wavetops for a few seconds, unable to dive because of the buoyant material it is constructed of. Still, this seems little obstacle to the newly created creature, and after a few moments it explodes into motion, skipping across the wavetops by methods unknown. Summoned far from the beach to begin with, its momentum quickly blasts it past the swimming survivors, and its motion begins to take on a strange rotational quality as it nears the befuddled sea creatures. Gathering itself as it arrives, it seems to go berserk, circling and spinning like a top until the water around it takes on the characteristic whirls of a vortex. The very bottom of the whirlpool seems to just scrape the bed of the shallow coastal waters, and within seconds it stirs up a cloudy, silty mess. The creatures, previously so intent upon the flashing lights, are now held powerless in the midst of the swirling maelstrom. The elemental, however, seems to be giving its all to carry out the essence of its master's desperate commands, and the strain is apparent; despite its pluck, it is evident that the conjured beast will not be able to keep this particular trick up for long. Between the swirling, slamming motions of the waves, ice, and debris, though, a high-pitched squealing can just be heard as some of the less hardy members of the swarm pop and shatter under the pressure of the cold bludgeoning.

Away from the drama playing itself out in the coastal waters, Sparky hauls himself out of the tidal pools and onto the beach, wet but seemingly little worse for the wear. Yorkin and Jorme too, satisfied for the moment that their friends-by-neccesity are at least somewhat safer, have turned their attentions to reaching the shore. Yorkin's broad strokes seem to be carrying him into calmer waters, and with help from Jorme (who has picked up a smaller rudder paddle and is now going at it with gusto) the duo are making good progress toward the beach. (60 feet to go)

Shael, however, scrunched as he is against the timbers of his tenuous liferaft and unable to effectively propel himself, moves closer to the beach only by the motion of the tide. (100 feet left.) His position brings him dangerously close to the struggling of the aquatic contenders, a mere dozen feet or so from the sucking, swirling edge of the elemental's zone of influence.

Shael-
    Spoiler
    Show
    WHAT! ARE! YOU! DOING?! Strike, you pathetic sack of meat! How long do you think the fey-creature's iceberg will last, eh? They'll swarm us! You've seen them jump! DO SOMETHING! I REFUSE TO DIE HERE!
    Last edited by blue chicken; 2007-03-26 at 07:45 PM.