New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw IV: NO EXCUSES

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Okay, so I've gone and made the brilliant* move of doubling my personal thread commitment by starting up a competing writethread, so now my attention is in even more directions. Great idea!
    You could always reduce the conceptual burden and take the Erfworld filler route;
    Pair your texts up with illustrations.

Worth considering, perhaps.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    You could always reduce the conceptual burden and take the Erfworld filler route;
    Pair your texts up with illustrations.

Worth considering, perhaps.
    Oh, good idea.

3. - Top - End - #483

Day 1328: Twilight Struggle

This is a really neat way to summarise what it's like to play the board game Twilight Struggle. Communism spreads like an infection; there are breakout points and then octopus-like tentacles of infection reach in all directions. American play is like trying to throw up roadblocks to cut it off.

Want to revisit this sometime in the future with a giant canvas and actual paints.

Links

4. - Top - End - #484

Okay I'm just not coming up with any ideas for subject matter right now.

So it's open request time! Request stuff and I'll do it! One per customer, so make it good. Be specific and don't be crazy complex but otherwise go nuts.

E: Day 1329 was sketches, tablet refused to cooperate.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2015-01-03 at 07:28 AM.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Titan in the Playground

Ooh!

Well I'd been thinking about an avatar upgrade, and this sounds like a perfect excuse! Could I please have:

- Stellar Blaze (the pony in my avatar - better pic in link)
    - Dressed in white/grey security armour (no helmet)
    - Equipped with wingblades (lightning optional)
    - Pose/background Fallout appropriate.
    - In avatar appropriate format.

I hope not too far off the sort of thing you had in mind!
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2015-01-03 at 08:19 AM.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Titan in the Playground

Well, okay, since you need some ideas... I DID find a tragic lack on a google search the other day, so, if you're up for someting perhaps slightly different...

Joxer the Mighty as a pony. (One assumes he'd be an Earth Pony, but I leave the final decision to you as Whatever Is Funniest.)

I seriously can't believe no-one has ever done this yet (at least I couldn't find it) and it's a crying tragedy...

7. - Top - End - #487
    Spamalot in the Playground

I would like to request Ace Gambit, changeling sorcerer extraordinaire! (actual extraordinary-ness ability may vary). I'll just tell my idea in story form:

Ace in changeling form works at the Ponville bookstore, 'The Open Book'. He created a stack of books a bit too tall to balance on its own, but before it falls he managed to use his magical telekinesis to hold it up. But the stack proves too heavy for his magic and quickly Ace finds himself trying to outrun a collapsing column of catalogs and comics attempting to crush him!
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

8. - Top - End - #488
    Titan in the Playground

So it's open request time! Request stuff and I'll do it! One per customer, so make it good. Be specific and don't be crazy complex but otherwise go nuts.

I'm requesting the mall scene climax. Wolf crashing through window, Iris shredding a guitar about to be mauled, while Silas is on the ground with Washington about to pick him up.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

9. - Top - End - #489

Quote Originally Posted by RCgothic View Post
    Ooh!

Well I'd been thinking about an avatar upgrade, and this sounds like a perfect excuse! Could I please have:

- Stellar Blaze (the pony in my avatar - better pic in link)
    - Dressed in white/grey security armour (no helmet)
    - Equipped with wingblades (lightning optional)
    - Pose/background Fallout appropriate.
    - In avatar appropriate format.

I hope not too far off the sort of thing you had in mind!
    Day 1330: Snowblind

I took your colours as suggestions because they're f'ing garish. Holy crap, I'm glad you asked me for this just so I get to replace that horrid thing you're wearing right now.

I didn't do detailed clothing 'cause it wasn't going to be visible at avatar resolution and pony clothing is deceptively tricky. I spent half an hour getting the tail to cooperate alone, goddamn.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Titan in the Playground

I took your colours as suggestions because they're f'ing garish. Holy crap, I'm glad you asked me for this just so I get to replace that horrid thing you're wearing right now.

I didn't do detailed clothing 'cause it wasn't going to be visible at avatar resolution and pony clothing is deceptively tricky. I spent half an hour getting the tail to cooperate alone, goddamn.

Spoiler
    Show

Thank you! Looks like she took a level in badflank. I shall treasure my new Thanqol original!

11. - Top - End - #491

I took your colours as suggestions because they're f'ing garish. Holy crap, I'm glad you asked me for this just so I get to replace that horrid thing you're wearing right now. I didn't do detailed clothing 'cause it wasn't going to be visible at avatar resolution and pony clothing is deceptively tricky. I spent half an hour getting the tail to cooperate alone, goddamn.
    Hey, I thought the thread title was 'No Excuses'.
    Kidding! I kidd!

I like the way the mane gives her a rugged survivalist look. And that glare is awesome.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

12. - Top - End - #492
    Titan in the Playground

A breezie mad scientist. I'm thinking Seabreeze in goggles and labcoat next to a 'giant' doomsday device laughing maniacally
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Titan in the Playground

Normally I'm all over these opportunities as it's a great way to get a shot at getting art of OC's.
    But I realised that there aren't really any characters I need art for at the moment, really. Most of the characters I've had on the forums are either in finished games, or retired general-purpose OC's. Any characters it would be amusing to get pictures of from my tabletop games would require too much explanation to be worth it, or are characters I plan on getting round to sketching sometime anyway. (Like the many costumes of my Mutant Cheerleader Superhero, or the sexually ambiguous, morbidly obese elven Lothatio and full-time "walrus of love" with his funky snakeskin boots I'm playing in Hackmaster.)

So, uh. No real requests at the moment, I'm afraid.

If you were following along with my writings on the subject, feel free to take a shot at some random Dark-Sun-Pony/Ponies, maybe? I do intend to get back to that project once things quieten down. I won't be specific, as I don't consider this a real request, just something to fall back on if all else fails and the mood takes you.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I like the way the mane gives her a rugged survivalist look. And that glare is awesome.
    Just in time to put it to good use against some griffins who think they can buck with the mare who just slew a Reaver!

15. - Top - End - #495

Days 1331-1333: awesome

Monday was hectic, tuesday was game, and today I just had a long conversation with my brother which wound up in watching the lego movie together. Stuck with sketching. Nothing's getting done aaaa
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2015-01-07 at 06:33 AM.

16. - Top - End - #496

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I'm thinking Seabreeze in goggles and labcoat next to a 'giant' doomsday device laughing maniacally
    I pictured in my mind the "doomsday" device to be an open 2-liter of diet coke with a pack of Mentos dangling precariously over it.

I just had a long conversation with my brother which wound up in watching the lego movie together
    That's different.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2015-01-07 at 09:21 AM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

I got a lego set for Christmas after feeling inspired by that movie! My first in a decade and a half...

Spoiler: The progress so far
    Show

There, so if you still need suggestions (which I doubt - seems people have kind of pounced on you) you could draw Tower Bridge, London.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #498

Day 1334: under the surface

Taking a meatspace request before I get back to these! An update of the map for my tabletop Exalted setting.

Links

Descriptions:
    Spoiler
    Show

Okay, so, the idea is that Peleps has control of all five Satrapies in the region by this point and Peleps Shae has redrawn the administrative borders.

Each province of the same colour is roughly identical in value to any other province of the same colour. Bigger provinces represent ****ter land - the same amount of manpower over a wider area. You'll notice immediately that the former House Sesus satrapy in the south is a hole while all the former Peleps provinces are extremely rich and densely populated. Differences in administration and surviving the recent wars helped a lot towards that.

RED: Militarised provinces. Usually fortified border regions.
    GREEN: Wilderness provinces. Used for mineral extraction, agriculture and forestry.
    GOLD: Urban provinces. Contains increasingly advanced industries and trade links.
    VIOLET: Temple provinces. Places too holy for ordinary life, often dotted with powerful manses.

Some stuff about the regions and cities:

CHERRY HILLS - Former satrapy of Silent Blossom Tyrant. Beautiful rolling farmland and a tamed wilderness.

WROAT: The former regional capital of House Cathak, Wroat is a poor but extremely religious city that primarily manufactures arms for the over-fortified Marrukani frontier to the north. The nearby holy site is the lava manse where Shae killed Sesus Chenow.

VOX: A newly founded town designed around a massive port complex where the region's agricultural wealth is exported. Named after Shae's father.

CREZENT: A constantly rebellious town with an extremely potent mystery cult. Their land is rich but their refusal to get along with the Immaculate Order results in constant crackdowns.

ABSENT SKY - Former satrapy of Leopard of the Sky. Sharp and rocky territory, known for its excellent lumber and the bitter feuding of its three great cities.

ARGONTH: A House Peleps naval base. An extremely militarised society with numerous war widows from struggles against the pirates. A very reserved and angry people.

VARNA: An extremely rich province renowned for its dairy and wool products. The city is astonishingly fashionable and cultured.

BRELAND: A place of mystics, astrologers and researchers. Eats The Bones, the god who lives on the nearby island, considers these people his children and teaches them how to slay the undead of the nearby shadowland.

THE MROR HOLDS - The former satrapy of Granite Dirge. Shattered by war, this province is only just starting to recover.

GREYWALL - A compact stone city built atop an underground earth manse. Massive marble trees sprout from the ground like real trees and are cut down by industrious workmen.

OPEN EARTH - The former satrapy of Hungry Crane King and pasture of the finest horses outside of the Marrukani steppe.

KARRLAKTON - A huge trading city where Realm and Marrukani merchants sell their wares. Would be utterly destroyed in the event of war so goes out of its way to promote friendly cross-border ties. Comprised almost entirely of tents.

THANE - A city built under of the shell of an enormous scarab beetle. The place is thick with insects of astounding variety and value.

ONATAR - A bitterly subjugated tribe of raiders and pirates. Due to persistent problems with crime the punishment for any illegal activity has been made 'slavery', which has become Onatar's leading export.

CYNEA - The former satrapy of Silken Ascension and by far the richest and most populated part of the region. The setting for this game.

KORTH - A magnificent city, the jewel in the crown of the New Imperial Territories, rivalling the great cities of the Realm. Undergoing a great surge of urban renewal and construction.

ARULDUSK - A spectacularly rich city built around numerous canals between the two rivers that it sits astride. A cultural and religious centre, it has great political sway over the surrounding region.

Music: Under The Surface

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ogre in the Playground

Hah, any particular reason for the prolific Eberron name borrowing? It's strange to see them in this context.
    Devoted artificer of the church of Scorching Ray.

20. - Top - End - #500

Quote Originally Posted by Madcrafter View Post
    Hah, any particular reason for the prolific Eberron name borrowing? It's strange to see them in this context.
    'cause I had to make up a bunch of fantasy place names in short order and I couldn't be bothered going through my usual technique. So I just busted out the Eberron atlas. The folks in play won't notice.

21. - Top - End - #501

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Well, okay, since you need some ideas... I DID find a tragic lack on a google search the other day, so, if you're up for someting perhaps slightly different...

Joxer the Mighty as a pony. (One assumes he'd be an Earth Pony, but I leave the final decision to you as Whatever Is Funniest.)

I seriously can't believe no-one has ever done this yet (at least I couldn't find it) and it's a crying tragedy...
    Day 1335: Joxer Stage 1

How's this for a rough sketch? I don't know anything about the character or his personality.

Links

22. - Top - End - #502

How's this for a rough sketch? I don't know anything about the character or his personality.
    Links
    I think it's a good sketch (It's the smile, it really is). :D
    I can just picture his pony form doing the theme.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2015-01-09 at 03:19 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

23. - Top - End - #503

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I would like to request Ace Gambit, changeling sorcerer extraordinaire! (actual extraordinary-ness ability may vary). I'll just tell my idea in story form:

Ace in changeling form works at the Ponville bookstore, 'The Open Book'. He created a stack of books a bit too tall to balance on its own, but before it falls he managed to use his magical telekinesis to hold it up. But the stack proves too heavy for his magic and quickly Ace finds himself trying to outrun a collapsing column of catalogs and comics attempting to crush him!
    While I'm waiting for AOTRS' thumbs up, I did this one:

Day 1336: jenga

I heard about this really interesting horror game. The core mechanic is a jenga tower. People pull out sticks when they miss rolls and, when the tower collapses, someone dies.

Sounded like an incredible, tactile pacing mechanism.

Anyway, Digo, went for perspective on this one. What do you think?

Links

Music: EVERFREE

24. - Top - End - #504
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks!

I heard about this really interesting horror game. The core mechanic is a jenga tower. People pull out sticks when they miss rolls and, when the tower collapses, someone dies.

Links

So you know, Phoe has actually recommended that Jenga game to me as one of if not the best RPG she's ever played. Though sadly, its primary mechanic requires it be in person only.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

25. - Top - End - #505
    Titan in the Playground

Links

I've also heard of that. Never gotten the chance to play it, sadly.

If you're still taking requests/ideas, could I request this earnest fellow here? He's making his way into town to run some errands for a friend, but it's suddenly started raining and he hasn't got a raincoat. He's trying his best to enjoy the rain and not think about how cold it is, and doing an admirable job so far.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

26. - Top - End - #506

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    I'm requesting the mall scene climax. Wolf crashing through window, Iris shredding a guitar about to be mauled, while Silas is on the ground with Washington about to pick him up.
    Day 1337: Simplicity

I think this one works better if there's only one thing happening. What do you think?

Links

27. - Top - End - #507
    Titan in the Playground

Day 1337: Simplicity

I think this one works better if there's only one thing happening. What do you think?

Links
    Hah! Now, we just need to cast Johnny Depp as the wolf and we're set.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

28. - Top - End - #508
    Troll in the Playground

So you know, Phoe has actually recommended that Jenga game to me as one of if not the best RPG she's ever played. Though sadly, its primary mechanic requires it be in person only.
    Do you remember the title? Some RL friends have been bugging me to play a horror RPG forever now, and this sounds like a good fit for what they're wanting.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Do you remember the title? Some RL friends have been bugging me to play a horror RPG forever now, and this sounds like a good fit for what they're wanting.
    The game is called Dread.
    Devoted artificer of the church of Scorching Ray.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Titan in the Playground

School Fox by Atlur

Quotes