New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The 8 Guilds of Xil

Jot (Girelda)

Girelda does not want to miss out on the fun, so she follows the masses swiftly towards the area where the guilds are having the parties. She brings the glass of water, convinced someone else will later make sure it returns to the waiter. Or not.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Noticing the lack of any crowd, Ioriston collects his psicrystal, then begins moving in the direction of the closest guild display that is not presently affected by a crowd.
    "By the way, do you know the best thing about magic? ... Everything." - Sarda, 8 Bit Theater

Thanks to Madcrafter for the avatar!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Torma
    Show
    The innkeep was a portly woman who looked fairly bored currently, she sat at a counter that had a doorway right behind it. Her gray hair was tied in a bun, her wrinkled face showed her age, and her earring's , made obviously of fake gold, and dress, a dull red, told of her lack of wealth. The inside of the inn could easily be described as dull but clean, wooden floors, gray unpainted stone walls, a few plain wooden tables and a tiny, currently unmanned and unstocked bar. There are only 3 people besides the woman within the room and they're all sitting at one of the tables. As Torma offers the ticket she searches underneath her counter. The shuffling of keys can be heard as she takes a minute to find them. She then hands Torma a single bronze key with the number 761 on it. Once she does so she begins to speak. As she speaks she move into the doorway, Torma can here some clanging behind there, but she shouts over it.

"Not talk bad about Gilde? He's our employer, not our patron saint. I'm afraid I don't know much about guilds outside of Gilde. I do know some rumors... apparently Minka has been more active as of late, filthy Chiite camps have been seen in greater number. Millennium Sphinx of course is a powerhouse as always, tomorrow either Torwin from Millennium Sphinx or Sarah Song from Gilde will be promoted to a Major Guild at the games. My money is personally on Torwin. As for the others, there isn't much I'm afraid, apparently Cherry Home recruited a guy a year ago... Hamnor? Hallon? I forget his name, but apparently Millennium Sphinx wanted him."

She returns from the back and sits back at the counter, speaking in a normal tone she asks Torma "It'll be one moment on some beef stew if that's ok? It is very good, but it wasn't hot enough. Our cook and bartender were told they didn't have to work until later tonight when everyone is done seeing guilds..."

Spoiler: Ioriston + Maddox
    Show
    "Absolutely not, we who understand the great duality of day and night, law and chaos, have a decent hold of influence on the guild. Not nearly all of it of course. Would you like to speak more inside? And perhaps show us what talents you possess? We do not simply let everyone who worships a god join the Silver Flag."

(I randomly rolled which of 3 guilds closest to you that is also not that crowded you went to if that's ok.)

Ioriston made way to the Silver Flag, while certainly it was in the same general direction as Gilde, it was not very crowded at all.
    Spoiler: Description of Silver Flag
    Show
    he arrives in front of a large Grecian looking building that stands taller than most of the surrounding buildings. It was made of marble and a polished metal sign was hung at the top of it that read "The Pamelon courthouse is proud to host the most holy Silver Flag." Waving on top of the building is a single, rather large, Silver Flag with a single gold banner run through it diagonally (the flag of Silver Flag).

The front of the courthouse had 4 great columns, from which a different flag hung from each one.

The symbols on the flags are:
    1) A Broken Eye with a drop of blood dripping from it (you auto-recognize it as the symbol of The Home of Death).
    2) A grown tree, with a triangle overlapping it (Knowledge: religion roll for the rest if you want to)
    3) A a large swirl with an overlapping circle
    4) A sun and a moon

At the base of the columns is 1 person per column. Each of them in shining full plate and wielding a sword and a shield. You see a decent amount of people moving into and out of the building, some look pretty happy upon exiting and others somewhat distraught.

There was a dozen people now talking to the men in front of the columns and a decent amount moving into and out of the building, but there was more than ample room.

Spoiler: Jot (Girelda)
    Show
    If there were two places that were going to be wild it was going to be Gilde or Klanen right now, but Gilde was closer and the masses seemed to be moving more towards the home guild. Following the masses, Girelda arrives at an even more massive crowd, more than Girelda could count, surrounding a giant fortress from which the flags of Gilde flew. There were many tables, mostly occupied, with white table clothes, several bards and waiters running about, people laughing and dancing, kids running about, men and women dueling. Waiters here brought not only small foods and wine, but the brought entire roasted pigs to tables, where it would be devoured rather rapidly. There were people of all sorts, many looked as if they were merely enjoying the free entertainment and others seemed as though they we're trying to find official members of Gilde to talk to.

In the crowd, Jot could make out 3 figures that stand out from the rest:
    -A sharp looking gentleman with light brown hair, he wore a plain white tunic over black trousers. He seemed to always have a smile or smirk on his face as he moved from table to table to talk to the masses. Every now and then he would take a ticket handed to him from an individual.
    -An elf with olive skin and silver hair, who wore a dark blue cloak that hid most of his clothing. He looked more serious, but also chatted with the masses.
    -A woman with light blue skin and white hair, she wore leather and had a rapier at her side.

All three of them had the black Symbol of Gilde stitched onto the left shoulder of their clothing.
    (Currently afk halfway across the country.)

Attempting Homebrew:
    Requip Knight

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Jot (Girelda)

Girelda takes some time to check the people in the crowd out and then she notices the lady with the light blue skin. Intrigued, she moves in the direction of the lady and, when appropriate, she adresses her in an attempt to make conversation: "Hi there...I see you're a member, eh? How's that?"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"Beef stew will be just great, thank you, and I'm sorry to have surprised your cook-staff with my early meal."

Torma shrugged off his pack and leaned down to set it by the foot of his stool beside where he'd leaned his staff against the bar. He reached deep into his cloak and pulled out a full (medium) waterskin, from which he took a long drink before replacing it.

"Sorry about that, please don't take it the wrong way, but I prefer my own drink," he rumbled, wiping his mouth and his magnificent whiskers around it with the back of his hand. "You mentioned Torwin of Millenium Sphinx and Sarah Song of Gilde? If they're up for promotion to the major guilds then they're like to be quite strong. What can you tell me of them? What manner of heroes are they? And this fellow of Cherry Home, you might not recall his name, but if he was strong enough to be sought by Millennium Sphinx, do you remember what he did or any tales of his exploits?"

*after discussing the above few (minor?) celebrities (possibly continuing in more post(s) depending on how much or little she knows or says)*

Torma then inquired, "And you said there would be games tomorrow? What sort of games? I may be showing my ignorance, but I admit that, the age that I am, I have never attended one of these festivals before. Is it just those up for promotion to the majors who compete? Or will I be expected to compete to prove my skill to the guilds I'm courting?"
    Last edited by Caligstro Smith; 2014-05-14 at 07:09 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Spoiler: Chistara, Fife, Arrow
    Show
    The man smells clean and floral. Upon standing next to him and leaning the man stops talking to the other people passing by. He looks at arrow for a moment, but doesn't say anything for a short moment, as if expecting Arrow to speak first. After realizing Arrow isn't speaking first the man decides to initiate the conversation.

"Hey, hello. How're you? Interested in maybe joining Cherry Home? My name is Harnor Vitsiharen."

He offers his hand to Arrow to shake.

(Chistara and Fife are talking to each other, but they can hear this.)
    Arrow's eyes briefly dart down to the extended hand. There's a long pause. He doesn't take it.

He nods, eyes flicking up to the man's face. His voice is quiet, surprisingly soft. "Arrow. I ... I'm not sure. Tell me what you do."

Though his poise is wary, there's an earnest appeal in his voice.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Show

The woman keeps a serious face as she responds to Girelda.

"Well, actually. And you are?"

Show
    "That's quite alright. I'm afraid I don't know much about Torwin, I believe he is a cleric of some faith or another. Sarah is one of the most gifted sorceresses to have ever entered Gilde, and while Torwin is most likely the more powerful of the two, I wouldn't be surprised if Sarah gave him a run for his money. As for that Hanlem... uh, whatever his name is... I'm not sure, he auditioned with the Sphinx a year ago, no one saw his audition, but apparently T'nul himself asked him to join the Sphinx, a shame that a talented man chose to join Cherry Home..."

"Oh no dear, only those being promoted to a major guild participate, it is part of the selection process. Tickets just to see it are expensive... but any new recruits to guilds get free entry. The games... vary from year to year, sometimes the competitors just show off their skills and recount their achievements, other times they make a challenge for the competitors... last year Holy Sphere was seeking a wise individual so they posed some.... odd riddle, it was confusing, I can't even remember how it goes for the life of me... something about 3 gods, truths, lies, and randomness?"

Spoiler: Arrow + (Fife + Chistara)
    Show
    Harnor looks curiously at arrow and withdraws his hand, confused at the lack of a hand shake.

"Do you mean me personally? or Cherry Home? Cherry Home was founded on the idea that a guild can be something more than just a place of business, for many members it's similar to a family. We used to get no important jobs, up until I joined a year ago. Most of our members still take on jobs and quests for the "little guy" in Manla though, but I've been trying to make us more... I guess competitive is the right word? when compared to other guilds. I don't think any guild will have as many good hearted people as Cherry Home, but they tend to get stepped on a lot because of that.

Would you like to step inside? There's free tea, I promise it's a lot better than the wine they serve here."
    Last edited by Oko and Qailee; 2014-05-14 at 09:42 PM.

Attempting Homebrew:
    Requip Knight

8. - Top - End - #38

Maddox nods. "Oh, yes, I have several skills to ply, which I expect your judges shall...sha-Maddox feels a quick mental kick from his "guest", dispersing his anxieties and replacing them with a boastful fury "Shall be in complete and utter awe at! Oh, be excited, my new acquiantance, for you will not be the last to do so this day. I imagine the Silver Flag will be chomping at every bit to add me to their illustrious roster. I'll be free of the Queen by the end of the week with any luck. Thank you kindly for your words, sir knight. I look forward to standing under the same banner soon!"

With that, Maddox scampered into the hall, and began dancing as he ran before he was halfway there.

9. - Top - End - #39

GnomeWizardGuy

"I take it T'nul is the leader of Millenium Sphinx? And that is intriguing about that 'H' fellow of Cherry Home. Are there any guesses or rumors as to why he settled with such a minor guild? And who is the leader of Cherry Home?"

*Torma pauses for her replies*

"Well, I figured I'd start off visiting Cherry Home anyway, start off with the little guys, as I've been given to understand them, and move forward with my rounds from there. I'll be sure to look into it while I'm there, if I can, and if you're interested, I'll let you know when I return for my evening meal?

You said you don't know much more about the other Guilds, but do you perhaps know who runs Klanen, or maybe know any of their members? I planned to visit them second, as they sounded like they might be a fun lot?"

Break because there's still more conversation above
    before we'd have gotten to the discussion of games

"Ah, well that's good then. Glad I won't have to be worryin' about showing off tomorrow, on top of keeping close track of everything I see and hear of each guild today. And I get in free, you say? What a nice surprise this is! I didn't realize the guilds made recruit selections so quickly! By tomorrow I'll be guilded and be getting a free show from some of the best the minor guilds have to offer?"

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

Show
    Harnor looks curiously at arrow and withdraws his hand, confused at the lack of a hand shake.

"Do you mean me personally? or Cherry Home? Cherry Home was founded on the idea that a guild can be something more than just a place of business, for many members it's similar to a family. We used to get no important jobs, up until I joined a year ago. Most of our members still take on jobs and quests for the "little guy" in Manla though, but I've been trying to make us more... I guess competitive is the right word? when compared to other guilds. I don't think any guild will have as many good hearted people as Cherry Home, but they tend to get stepped on a lot because of that.

Would you like to step inside? There's free tea, I promise it's a lot better than the wine they serve here."
    Something furtive - almost a smile - scurries across Arrow's face, and then is gone.

"I ... yes, I would. Thank you." The words are halting, but when his eyes catch Harnor's, there is something there.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    OMG! Arrow's home!

11. - Top - End - #41

BardGuy

Show

[/QUOTE]

Fife perks up at the idea of a family oriented guild.
    "Excuse me, I may not be incredibly interested in helping the little guy specifically, but I am looking for a place to call home if you've got one. I would like to come in for a spell if you don't mind, proved that the tea you serve will not obliterate em." Fife holds out his hand waiting Harnor to greet him with his own. With a weary smile Fife says, "'m Fife McDougal, the Death Singer."
    Last edited by Valery; 2014-05-15 at 01:42 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Jot (Girelda)

Girelda smiles. "My name is Girelda." She drinks some water. "I figured to come and have a look about, maybe find out what guild-life is all about."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Maddox
    Show
    Inside the building is a long, dimly lit hallway. When he reaches the end of the hallway it opens up into a larger, better lit room. The inside of this room is larger and brighter. The floors shine from the light coming from a metal chandelier above. There a certainly more people inside the building than there were outside, all of them chatting. A single man plays a relaxed melody on a violin.

The larger room sports 5 doors, four of which have one of the religious symbols that were posted outside, the 5th door has "none of the others" written above it. An oak sign at the entrance to the room reads "Enter to the interview room of the faith of your preference and prepare to astound us with your talents!"

Show

Oh yes, it will be quite a show I hope.

Yes, T'nul is the leader of Millennium Sphinx, one shudders to think what sort of a ruthless man leads that guild... he must be a strict man to accept nothing short of excellence. I'm afraid I can't tell you anymore of this... whatever his name was from Cherry Home... he's not a very high profile figure."

The woman looks somewhat upset at you mentioning your visit to Cherry Home, and then she becomes someone irate as you ask about Klanen.

"You do best to stay away from those trouble makers! I don't know much about them, but I know they have a tendency for destruction, since they've arrive we've already had to repair and pay for them breaking 7 tables and causing injury to the proprietor of their lodgings. Only those fools who request that their Guild presentation be at a tavern!"

Spoiler: Arrow, Fife, ChistarAH
    Show

Harnor, for a moment, seemed to turn to turn to walk Arrow inside, but Fife McDougal managed to get to him before he could do so. He matches Fifes hand and gives him a firm handshake.

"Harnor Vitsiharen, novice mage, at your service. I have drank our tea many times and have never been obliterated, so I can confidently say it wont happen to you. I would gladly have you both sit for a spell and maybe me and some of my friends can tell you a bit more about Cherry Home. Where we are, whats our building like, etc."

(I am semi-waiting on Samah)

Show
    "Well, it varies from person to person, as our list of tasks is wide and varied. Gilde is about productivity, unlike Klanen, we don't expect you to sit and drink for a whole month before doing something productive. I personally take bounties, I hunt criminals and the worst kind of men, and then I receive gold for my services. Perhaps there is something you like to do? And what talents do you possess Girelda, that Gilde can use?"

Attempting Homebrew:
    Requip Knight

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Jot (Girelda)

"Oh, ehm..." Girelda smiles: "I do all kinds of things. I am the kind of person that gets things done. Anything, really...know my way around various, eh, strata of society. Can do things unnoticed, but also know how to draw attention if needed. Can hold myself in a fight. If you ask what I am, I'd say versatile."

15. - Top - End - #45

GnomeWizardGuy

Torma jumps at her sudden outburst, nearly falling off his stool and clutching at the edge of the bar, his own voice instinctively rising to match her tone of alarm, "My goodness! I take your warning, madam; I didn't mean to upset you!" He pauses a short moment, regaining his composure before continuing at a more normal volume, "I'd heard that Klanen was a bit rowdier than the other guilds, which sounds like it might be more lively or fun when put that way, but I hadn't realized they were so destructive or troubling to the unguilded folk. Though I suppose if they are like that, it's better for them to be hosted in a tavern than in a nicer place less used to or capable of dealing with such... uninhibited skylarking."

Hmm... clearly discussing Klanen here is a bad idea... but I can't help but think that despite her violent reaction, likely reflective of the small folk's opinions of the guild, that the actual transgressions she mentioned were small and mostly harmless. A few tables? An injured barkeep? Tables are cheap, and magic can instantly heal most anything, and what sort of injury besides? That could mean almost anything. And it's not as if skylarking is that unusual in taverns... For now I'll continue to keep an open mind, but perhaps I'll be a bit more on my guard when I visit them.

*Torma pauses to see if she says anything more about that, and if she doesn't, moves on to the already completed discussion of the games tomorrrow*

"...Ah, well that's good then. Glad I won't have to be worryin' about showing off tomorrow, on top of keeping close track of everything I see and hear of each guild today. And I get in free, you say? What a nice surprise this is! I didn't realize the guilds made recruit selections so quickly! By tomorrow I'll be guilded and be getting a free show from some of the best the minor guilds have to offer?

Anyway, I suspect the stew is hot by now?
    "

Torma patiently waits while the inkeeper goes in back for his meal, humming a tune quietly to himself and tapping a simple rhythm on the counter top. When she returns, his easy, wide grin returns, "Mmmmm... Smells delightful!" He pulls out his waterskin again and takes another drink before replacing it and digging into his stew. After a couple bites he inquires, "So since by your initial statement about Gilde I infer that you're under no obligation from them to sing their praises, what can you tell me about them? I know it's very large and wealthy, and that it holds most of the power in Pamelon, town council or no, and that Jannis Young is its leader, but what more is there to Gilde besides its leader, bankers, and size?" Torma takes another bite, then leans forward, grins again, and lowers his voice, whispering, "Any dirty laundry?"

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Ioriston took a look at Silver Flag's building. He had never been particularly pious, so this guild did not interest him much. The elf decided to move on and go inspect Millennium Sphinx, if they weren't too crowded.
    "By the way, do you know the best thing about magic? ... Everything." - Sarda, 8 Bit Theater

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

Chistara strides foreward, hands on her belt, ""Well met, Harnor, my name is Chistara Tanaruk and I, too, would be interested in hearing about your guild." She smiles warmly at the novice mage. "I've recently left a family run merchant caravan so a place that feels and acts as a family would be welcome."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    "Oh it was just a warning sweetie."

Upon Torma's inquiry about "dirty laundry" she frowns slightly.

"Well, I don't think it's right to just air out laundry at everyone's request. Just because I can talk bad about Gilde doesn't mean I will! I will tell you this though, for Jannis, what matters is the bottom line."

Spoiler: Ioriston
    Show
    Luckily, Millennium Sphinx was very close to Silver Flag. Upon arriving at the location designated on the map, Ioriston finds himself at a large plaza in which three large Pavilions have been set up. There is a small crowd chatting about and a small line in front of each pavilion. At the front of the Pavilion are 3 guards, each with the Millennium Sphinx Guild Crest (see below) on the front of breast plate that they are wearings.

In the crowd is a are a few other individuals with the Millennium Sphinx crest on their clothing. The one that appears the least busy and is closest to Ioriston is a young woman with crimson red hair and a freckled face. She appears thin, despite the large Crimson Cloak she is wearing. Her and the other individuals seem to be informing people about the details of MS.

Spoiler: MILLENNIUM SPHINX GUILD SYMBOL
    Show

Spoiler: Arrow, Chistara, Fife
    Show
    Harnor looks surprised as Chistara walks up, clearly having three different people approach Cherry Home was a rare occurrence.
    "Pleasure to meet you"
    He offers out his hand to shake.
    "Well, I think you've come to the right place. Would you like to come inside as well?"

*------Assuming Chistara says yes-------*
    He turns and holds open the door for the group, inside is a dainty tea shop. The room smells floral and on the ceiling hang many lanterns.
    Spoiler: Lantern appearance
    Show
    Look sort of like this but with the Cherry Home Cherries symbol on it

The outmost border of the room is step up from the center of the room, where there are 8 low tables. There are no chairs, but mats instead. At the far end of the room there is a doorway that most likely leads to the kitchen. Only 3 of the tables are occupied. At the first table is a dark skinned man with a vertical scar across his face. He has bronze hair and is wearing a mithril shirt on which the Cherry Home symbol is painted. His table is occupied with several people, none of which have the Cherry Home symbol. They are asking the man details about the guilds such as how big is it, what features it has, etc.

At the second table is a woman who seems to be made entirely out intertwined trees. Saplings and branches protrude from various sections of her body and end in leaves, her hair itself seems to also be made of leaves. There seems to be a layer of snow upon her hair/shoulders/branches. Her table is the most crowded, with no room left to sit around it.

The third table, which has plenty of remaining space. Only has 3 people currently at it. A thin diaphanous young lade with light brown hair that partially covers her face and aquamarine eyes. Perhaps what distinguishes her more than this is the fact that she has two small angel wings coming from her back. She is dressed in sky blue robes that have the Cherry Home symbol. Another woman at the table has short golden hair with silver eyes. She wears full plate with the Cherry Home symbol, strapped to her back are two extremely large swords.

It is to the third table that Harnor leads the group.
    "Hey" He greets the two ladies as he begins to introduce the group. "This is Chistara, Fife, and Arrow, they're interested in hearing a bit about us." He then gestures towards the woman with the full plate. "This is Trinida, the most talented member of our guild." Then he looks towards the other girl. "And this is Qailee, a better healer there is none."

At Harnors words Qailee smiles (blushes a little) and waves politely at the group. Trinida stands up.
    "A pleasure to meet you. Come sit, they'll bring out some tea. I can answer any questions you have." Her tone is friendly, but she somewhat eye's Arrow oddly.

Spoiler: Smells for Arrow
    Show

1) Lots of Green Tea smell
    2) Trinida smells very clean like Harnor did
    3) Qailee smells floral

Show
    "Can you display some of this versatility? or perhaps you can duel another applicant to show what you're capable of? or maybe cast a spell? I'd prefer to see something more... definitive. The name is Huevosa by the way, I forgot to tell you. If you impress me, I'll gladly try to impress you."
    Last edited by Oko and Qailee; 2014-05-15 at 11:29 PM.

Attempting Homebrew:
    Requip Knight

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Seraphina
    Show
    The man gives you a look of "isn't it obvious?" He then speaks.
    (hey, tomorrow lets iron out details of your clan)

"Ehhh, nothing... anyway, good chance meetin ya. Dragonblade Ninja clan? Are they from the wilds? I have not heard of them. At any rate, why don't you come inside?" He extends an arm as if to escort you, but before he can Janna grabs onto you.

"Foooooollooooow meeeeeeeeeee!"

*------------If you accept the invitation in------------------*
    Inside it's somewhat dark, as only dim torches light the room. If the room was indeed a barracks, there is no sign of it currently as every piece of furniture has been cleared out for space. There is a rather decent crowd in there, but Janna pulls you along and she seems to bump into every single person. The entire time she rants about Innocent.

"Innocent is the best Guild in Xil. Lots of people call us Millennium Sphinx's mop, but we're not really a mop, more of a group of not jerk bags. We have the third largest guild building and the biggest library! You said you're a ninja! Awesome! We have two dedicated smiths for our guild named Rust and Gual, they can make any weapon you need for your stealthy ninja assassinations! Were a bit short handed on casters currently, but that doesn't mean we wouldn't take you! You just need to be assertive! You don't talk much huh? So do you think you wanna join yet? or maybe I didn't say enough good stuff about us. Here take this wine!" She hands you a glass of wine. "It's actual wine, not the cheap and then diluted stuff Gilde is serving outside, because you see, we actually see our guild members as more than just employees. I mean, you are an employee, but our goal is to make this a mutualistic relationship, like gobi fish and shrimp! Our guild master is a bit of a grumpus, but I think that's because he's upset his cousin is the head of Millennium Sphinx! So what sort of talents do you have? Would you like to try to impress us by combat? or maybe something stealthy? We have some bears we brought just for the occasion!"

Attempting Homebrew:
    Requip Knight

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Ioriston approaches the woman when she is not busy, and asks her about Millennium Sphinx. "As I understand it, your guild has quite the reputation for prestige. I am...intrigued. Tell me, if I am not coming off as too forward, what more is there to know about Millennium Sphinx, and what must I do in order to join?"

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

Jot (Girelda)

"Fight, meh...I prefer to avoid fights if I can, to be honest. I can show you a small feat of manual dexterity?" She produces a small coin and performs some minor 'mundane' magic tricks with it (making it disappear, and reappear). "Not very impressive, I know, but I am sure you can see how legerdemain can be useful." She sips from her drink. "See, I have a 'condition'. There are multiple persons hiding in my mind and body. I will show you one more thing in a bit. Then, if you will be around for a while, I can come back to you in a different guise. With different skills." She smiles, knowing that sounds vague. "Try to follow me through the crowd, I am sure you are good at that. I will be back in a minute."

Girelda mingles with the crowd in the immediate vicinity. She will use the cover of other people and e.g. standing tables to use her Hide in plain sight ability three times. The third time, she uses her minor shapechange ability (as a move action) to change her gender to male, and her hair colour to black. Then, she returns to the lady.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Hide 1: (1d20+10)[14]
    Hide 2: (1d20+10)[15]
    Hide 3: (1d20+10)[16]

And disguise, if needed: (1d20+20)[35]

"Hi." Her voice is still the same. "Now, that is pretty neat, if I say so myself." She spulls her hand over her face to recover 'Girelda's' appearance. "Third trick, then the show is over... she smiles again ...is I will come back in an hour...and you get to chose who, or what, I will be. I can come back as a warrior, and show you my proficiency with the greatsword. I can come back as a wizard, and cast a few spells for you, or, I come back as a priest and do some magic. No wands," she adds.

"That is, if you have a room where I may prepare myself in quiet for an hour."

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

Show
    Harnor looks surprised as Chistara walks up, clearly having three different people approach Cherry Home was a rare occurrence.
    "Pleasure to meet you"
    "Well, I think you've come to the right place. Would you like to come inside as well?"

He turns and holds open the door for the group, inside is a dainty tea shop. The room smells floral and on the ceiling hang many lanterns.
    Show

The outmost border of the room is step up from the center of the room, where there are 8 low tables. There are no chairs, but mats instead. At the far end of the room there is a doorway that most likely leads to the kitchen. Only 3 of the tables are occupied. At the first table is a dark skinned man with a vertical scar across his face. He has bronze hair and is wearing a mithril shirt on which the Cherry Home symbol is painted. His table is occupied with several people, none of which have the Cherry Home symbol. They are asking the man details about the guilds such as how big is it, what features it has, etc.

At the second table is a woman who seems to be made entirely out intertwined trees. Saplings and branches protrude from various sections of her body and end in leaves, her hair itself seems to also be made of leaves. There seems to be a layer of snow upon her hair/shoulders/branches. Her table is the most crowded, with no room left to sit around it.

The third table, which has plenty of remaining space. Only has 3 people currently at it. A thin diaphanous young lade with light brown hair that partially covers her face and aquamarine eyes. Perhaps what distinguishes her more than this is the fact that she has two small angel wings coming from her back. She is dressed in sky blue robes that have the Cherry Home symbol. Another woman at the table has short golden hair with silver eyes. She wears full plate with the Cherry Home symbol, strapped to her back are two extremely large swords.

"Hey" He greets the two ladies as he begins to introduce the group. "This is Chistara, Fife, and Arrow, they're interested in hearing a bit about us." He then gestures towards the woman with the full plate. "This is Trinida, the most talented member of our guild." Then he looks towards the other girl. "And this is Qailee, a better healer there is none."

At Harnors words Qailee smiles (blushes a little) and waves politely at the group. Trinida stands up.
    "A pleasure to meet you. Come sit, they'll bring out some tea. I can answer any questions you have." Her tone is friendly, but she somewhat eye's Arrow oddly.

Show

3) Qailee smells floral

The small man slowly seems to expand, almost like the slack being let out of a strung bow. He seems to occupy a bit more space as he carefully removes his quiver and hangs it over the back of the chair offered and unslings his heavy, glossy bow to set it on a lean against the table. He nods to Trinida and Qailee. "Arrow."

A sudden smile flashes over his rough features, and in his heavy, back-country accent he says "Thank'ee kindly."

23. - Top - End - #53

GnomeWizardGuy

"Fair enough. I certainly respect your discretion. I suspected though, that the bottom line was where Gilde kept its focus, simply from what I'd heard of its reputation. Guild work is business, afterall."

Torma focuses for a minute or so on his stew, takes another drink from his waterskin, and then inquires after the inkeep's family, how she has liked living in Pamelon, local politics, local heroes, and minor scandals, mostly just engaging in polite small talk while he eats.

*assuming there's nothing big that would crop up in this polite small talk, correct me if I'm wrong?*

When he finishes his meal and the conversation has begun to wind down, he hops down off his bar stool and grabs his staff, saying, "Thank you again for this tasty meal and your delightful company this afternoon. I must be off now to make the rounds of the eight guild displays! As I said, I'll be back this evening!" As he says this, he pulls his pack back onto his back and the left side pouch seems to open on its own, two gold pieces sailing out of it and up onto the counter in front of the woman, accompanied by a light breeze. "Payment for the meal, and some extra for your helpful information and advice. Good afternoon!"

Torma heads back out of the Lodging Logs and into the street, headed off toward Cherry Home's display.

What a nice older woman. Hopefully such is representative of the common folk here. Hm... With my detour for lunch and taking the time to visit some of the less popular guilds first, hopefully I'll successfully avoid the worst of the crowds.

Torma was in a good mood, and he was having to resist the strong urge to skip, fly, or ride to his destination.

But I can't do that; skipping is just too odd for an old dwarf, and and the other two are much too ostentatious. I'd look like I was showing off, and that's not a good impression to give to your prospective employers. No matter how
    fun it is to ride, or convenient it is to fly.

And he settled for whistling a cheerful tune while he walked.
    Last edited by Caligstro Smith; 2014-05-16 at 08:49 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

Chistara shakes Harnor's hand, her grip firm but not crushing. "Yes, I would. Thank you." Upon entering the building she pauses to admire the decor before following the rest of the group over to the table. After in the introductions she nods respectfully to Trinida and Qailee murmering, "Well met," quietly. At Trinida's words she lowers herself down onto a mat, sitting crosslegged, resettling the GreatAxe at her belt as she does so it rides more comfortably.
    Last edited by Samah; 2014-05-16 at 08:49 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55

BardGuy

Show
    "Pleasure to meet you"

Show

Show

3) Qailee smells floral

Fife greets the two ladies and eyes the one with the angel wings carefully, because though the tea may be "harmless" his unending caution wouldn't let a woman with angel's wings go un-examined for a short period of time. He plopped down in one of the empty seats, taking care to keep himself covered up by his dark cape, but out of politeness he lowered his red hood to show his face, scars and all.

"So," Fife said, still eyeing the winged woman, "not a whole lot of people in here...is it always like this? I mean, what kind of work is Cherry Home about? Harnor said that you're all helping out the little guy, but surely that leads to bigger missions?"

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

(I learned how to spell Millennium without spell check finally!)
    Spoiler: Ioriston
    Show
    The woman looks enthusiastic to tell you about Millennium Sphinx.

"What more is there to know? Besides that we're the best guild? Ok, I'll give you a rundown. Millennium Sphinx is a guild that only accepts excellence, we take the hardest jobs, because of this we expect you to be talented and have the ability to take care of yourself in the face of danger, even if you travel with a group on a job. In the past year we've sent members on various missions, the most impressive of which was Torwin went into the wilds with members of Xildiple to seek out the Dragon of Storm Jiilagnia. If dragon hunting doesn't sound impressive, I don't know what does, as dragons are the most perfect beings. As for joining? Inside each of the pavilons is a major member of our guild, they will ask you to impress them in any way you can and then afterwards you will face a trial by combat, just step in line if you're feeling brave enough.

Spoiler: Jot
    Show
    She doesn't seem impressed by the first trick, but upon returning from the second she seems much more so. "It is a nice deceiving trick, I have seen similar before, but it is impressive nonetheless. There is an Inn, Lodging Logs nearby, you should have a ticket for a room there. I have a preference for warriors, but you may return as whatever you desire. Before you go, would you like a demonstration of what I can do? So you can see how impressive some of the members of our guild are?"

Sense Motive: You're not certain if she's impressed or not.

Show

As Arrow sits Qailee sort of nervously looks at him. She still smiles and softly says "Hello."

After the rest sit down, a man in a red kimono robe comes forth from the back with a tray. He sets a teacup in front of each new arrival and pours a light red tinted tea into each cup.
    Spoiler: Taste if you drink
    Show
    The tea is fairly strong and of good quality. It's Green Tea with a small hint of Cherry. (Should have seen this coming).

Qailee then notices Fife staring at her and she sort of shrinks back, clearly not fond of attention, Fife is making her visibly nervous.

At Fife's questions Harnor chuckles.
    "Sometimes helping the little guy IS the big mission. Groups like Millennium Sphinx are too busy talking to Lord and Ladies to help a farmer drive off wolves. I haven't done nearly as much as Trinida here. Also, I apologize, but I must man the front if that's ok? Trinida and Qailee are better than me at explaining details."
    *---------if ok---------*
    He bows and walks out he gives a small wave to Trinida and Qailee.

Trinida then speaks up, smiling as she does so.
    "He's a bit of a liar or just being humble to be honest. Cherry Home has always been a guild where we try to care for each other above all else, in the end we have taken in housed some people who don't prefer to go to dangerous quests. Because of this we've become sort of looked down, especially by the Sphinx, because the value people differently than we do. In the past year it's been better though, ever since we've accepted Harnor. He does the work of ten men and our reputation has improved because of that. He has even taken jobs of other guilds and completed them before other guilds can even arrive on the scene... some guilds aren't fond of that in the least.

So you're right Fife, we do take big jobs and I think part of the reason why Harnor wanted to come to the festival was so he could recruit a bit more talent, he does understand that we're about family, but he doesn't want us to be laughed at just because we are one."

Show
    The woman wishes him a good day as he leaves. As he heads in the direction of Cherry Home, he notices that the surroundings become a lot more devoid of people and the neighborhood becomes more sketchy. (No knowledge history, also stalling 1 post for travel time obviously). As he ponders about flight, a small humanoid with green skin zooms overhead, obviously flying.

Attempting Homebrew:
    Requip Knight

27. - Top - End - #57

GnomeWizardGuy

Hmm... Yes, a bit showy. I think I made the right choice on that one. Might be a different story with Millennium Sphinx, with their emphasis on "AWESOME!" though.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

Chistara gives Harnor a small nod, "Certainly. Thank you for the introductions." She sips her tea and makes a appreciative little sigh. It was delicious! Chistara did enjoy a quality green tea; of all the goods her parents carried green tea had been one of her favorites. She sipped on her tea, paying close attention to Trinida as she spoke. With every scentence she became more and more enchanted with Cherry Home and decided to say as much. "Your guild sounds lovely. I don't mind the a good brawl and scuffle, provided that I have something or someone to fight for. I'm an old hand at it. I used to be a guard for my family's trading caravann and I'm decently proficient with both a greataxe and spells. If you would have me, I'd be quite interested in joining." Pulling one of her tickets from her beltpouch she slides it across the table Trinida. "Are you the person to whom I give this?

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Ioriston considers a response for a moment. "I'm interested. I have one...worry. I did just walk away from Silver Flag earlier, as I am not interested in joining a religious guild. I am curious -- is this guild particularly associated with the Temple of Dragon? I am interested in joining a guild, not so much a cult."

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

Show

As Arrow sits Qailee sort of nervously looks at him. She still smiles and softly says "Hello."

After the rest sit down, a man in a red kimono robe comes forth from the back with a tray. He sets a teacup in front of each new arrival and pours a light red tinted tea into each cup.
    Spoiler: Taste if you drink
    Show
    The tea is fairly strong and of good quality. It's Green Tea with a small hint of Cherry. (Should have seen this coming).

Qailee then notices Fife staring at her and she sort of shrinks back, clearly not fond of attention, Fife is making her visibly nervous.

At Fife's questions Harnor chuckles.
    "Sometimes helping the little guy IS the big mission. Groups like Millennium Sphinx are too busy talking to Lord and Ladies to help a farmer drive off wolves. I haven't done nearly as much as Trinida here. Also, I apologize, but I must man the front if that's ok? Trinida and Qailee are better than me at explaining details."
    *---------if ok---------*
    He bows and walks out he gives a small wave to Trinida and Qailee.

Trinida then speaks up, smiling as she does so.
    "He's a bit of a liar or just being humble to be honest. Cherry Home has always been a guild where we try to care for each other above all else, in the end we have taken in housed some people who don't prefer to go to dangerous quests. Because of this we've become sort of looked down, especially by the Sphinx, because the value people differently than we do. In the past year it's been better though, ever since we've accepted Harnor. He does the work of ten men and our reputation has improved because of that. He has even taken jobs of other guilds and completed them before other guilds can even arrive on the scene... some guilds aren't fond of that in the least.

So you're right Fife, we do take big jobs and I think part of the reason why Harnor wanted to come to the festival was so he could recruit a bit more talent, he does understand that we're about family, but he doesn't want us to be laughed at just because we are one."

Arrow's eyes have yet to leave the table. He inhales deeply over the tea, staring at it, before sipping it cautiously. When he does, a warm smile spreads. He listens carefully as Trinida speaks, eyes never leaving his tea. When she's done, there's a pause.

"S'good tea - thank'ee." He's silent a while longer, as though struggling with something.

"Ahm. I been out thar, doin' lil' jobs, fer' a good time. Plenny o' folks need helpin' but don' get none - no coin fer' it. Don' mean they don' need help. Don' mean they should suffer."

He takes a breath, as though speaking so much is difficult.

"Like me mam. And sis."