New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: MitD VIII: Everything we know about MITD (but were afraid Tarrasque)

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Copyright issues aside, I think it would be very unlikely for the umbrella to be thrown off and the MitD be some obscure creature from a random Dungeon magazine you've never heard of. I think he will either be at least a SOMEWHAT familiar D&D monster, or something well-known from other media or mythology.
    And such expectation has been expressed a hundred times by as many participants. I have never really understood why, and attempts at explaining it to me eventually run into definitional or circular issues ("How well known?"; "Well known to whom - current readers, or #100 readers?"; etc.), and functional issues ("How "SOMEWHAT familiar" is Tarrasque/Protean/Zodar/Astral Dragon?"; "What is the cut-off point?"; etc.).

Throwing a personal anecdote into the ring, I only learnt of Tarrasque by playing Starcraft, but for half the life of this thread, it seems every other participant could think of no other monster but it as MitD. I had never heard of any of the current FBS before they were suggested, with the exception of the carbosilicate amorph (but not the Slaad, even though it had featured in OotS). In fact, going through the proposal list, a large majority of them were completely unknown to me before being brought up, and the ones I know best are the least likely to be MitD. As an exercise for the readers, can you guys run down the list and give me a number of the ones you guys did know before the thread and which ones you don't? Oh, and be hones - don't count the Astral Dragon just because you knew about chromatic dragons.

-------------------Refresh to Happen Here -------------------

Fixed a few typos.
    Updated the Grendel entry
    Added:
    • Nightscape Battlemage
    • gelatinous cube
    • giant snowman
    • Illithid Elder Brain
    • The Adversary (into section 2d)
    • Pooka
    • Intellect Devourer

Yours,

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-12-28 at 05:35 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: MitD VIII: Everything we know about MITD (but were afraid Tarrasque)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    You misunderstand. Let me give you an example.

Case 1: Illithid/ Mind-flayer.

Ad copy: Psionics: I think it uses points? Or something? maybe crystals?" Laurin and Psteve vs. a Squidyface monster in a battle to determine how psionics actually work.

This is not a comment about what the Giant would or could or should do, just an example of something he has done in the past. (Of course, there was a squidyface monster in the comic, too.)
    Last edited by Bird; 2014-12-17 at 03:20 PM.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    And such expectation has been expressed a hundred times by as many participants. I have never really understood why, and attempts at explaining it to me eventually run into definitional or circular issues ("How well known?"; "Well known to whom - current readers, or #100 readers?"; etc.), and functional issues ("How "SOMEWHAT familiar" is Tarrasque/Protean/Zodar/Astral Dragon?"; "What is the cut-off point?"; etc.).

Throwing a personal anecdote into the ring, I only learnt of Tarrasque by playing Starcraft, but for half the life of this thread, it seems every other participant could think of no other monster but it as MitD. I had never heard of any of the current FBS before they were suggested, with the exception of the carbosilicate amorph (but not the Slaad, even though it had featured in OotS). In fact, going through the proposal list, a large majority of them were completely unknown to me before being brought up, and the ones I know best are the least likely to be MitD. As an exercise for the readers, can you guys run down the list and give me a number of the ones you guys did know before the thread and which ones you don't? Oh, and be hones - don't count the Astral Dragon just because you knew about chromatic dragons.

-------------------Refresh to Happen Here -------------------

Yours,

Grey Wolf
    I am well aware of your opinion on the subject, wrong though it may be () you are entitled to it. I just personally think Rich likes putting puzzles in the story, and that he expects people to be able to solve them, and expecting someone to have an obscure bit of knowledge just isn't a fair way to have them solve a puzzle. But there is a tiny, miniscule possibility I could be wrong.

I'm a casual D&D player, and the ones I have heard of:

Spoiler
    Show
    Slaad
    Protean
    Tarrasque
    Grue

Boggart
    Red Mage
    Black Mage
    I have no idea what a "godzilla" is
    Gozer
    Heffalump
    Kirby
    MLP
    Snorlax (my absolute favorite of the Copyrighted ideas)
    Weeping Angel
    Yoshi
    Zoidberd
    (on inspecting this list, I'm amazed at how many were created WELL after the MitD was)

Bigfoot
    Centaur
    Cherub
    Coeurl
    Dragons
    Elementals
    Efreet
    Genie
    Gloom
    Half-Giant
    Illithid
    Pit Fiend
    Solar
    Sphynx
    Troll
    Umbral Blot
    Velociraptor
    Warforged

4. - Top - End - #304
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Well, before I first looked at this thread (which was also before I began playing D&D), I knew the following suggestions from Section 3:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Deity
    Snarl Jr.
    Boggart
    Godzilla
    Gozer
    Kirby
    Q
    Rawhead Sidhe
    Snorlax
    Yoshi
    Centaur
    Deus ex Machina
    Displacer Beast (thanks to OOTS)
    Dragon
    Genie/Djinn
    Girard
    Half-Giant
    Incubus
    Titan
    Troll
    Vaarsuvius
    Yeti
    Rock
    Fanboy

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ettin in the Playground

I am well aware of your opinion on the subject, wrong though it may be () you are entitled to it. I just personally think Rich likes putting puzzles in the story, and that he expects people to be able to solve them, and expecting someone to have an obscure bit of knowledge just isn't a fair way to have them solve a puzzle. But there is a tiny, miniscule possibility I could be wrong.
    Wow, someone sure knows how to be humble. I suppose then you have an answer to the questions he brought up?

Ultimately, the proof against your theory comes from all the work done in this thread so far. If the MitD really was something that Rich meant to be easily recognizable, then why hasn't anyone recognized him yet? If it's supposed to be a puzzle that most readers can solve, then why has it yet to be solved? Even our best guesses still have significant problems, and certainly none of them fit your "somewhat familiar" requirement.

While I'm sure Rich would have loved for MitD to be something unrecognizable that everyone goes, "Oooh, of COURSE!" to when it's revealed, but that's not the only way to go with this, unless he's been purposefully dropping misleading clues, but that would make the reveal even more disappointing. "Oh, it was actually the Tarrasque all along! It has wish because of a Ring of Wish it had eaten eons ago, and it's smaller and lighter than normal because, uh, a wizard did it.

As for the list of known creatures, I'll have to guess at this a bit, but:
    Spoiler
    Show

3a: Only the Slaad.
    3d:
    Aboleth (but not mage)
    Bigfoot
    Centaur
    Cherub (but not the version that this uses)
    Cuatl
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dragon
    Earth Elemental
    Efreet
    Genie/Djinn
    Giant Space Hamster
    Gozira
    Half-Giant
    Hephaestus
    Illithid
    Incubus
    King Kong
    Marut
    Nessie
    Pit Fiend
    Planetar
    Sarrukh
    Solar
    Sphinx
    Titan
    Troll
    Two-Headed-Cyclops
    Vaarsuvius
    Warforged
    Yeti

Overall, a pretty pathetic list. Even for the Slaad, I only knew it existed, not anything about it's powers or capabilities, so if it was revealed to be a Slaad, I wouldn't go "oh, of course!" any more than if it was a Uvuudaum or a Hagunemnon or any of the other, more obscure creatures listed here.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

6. - Top - End - #306

ElfWarriorGuy

That's great, but imo, since we don't have a really solid first-choice contender (and people still occasionally despair of us ever figuring it out), narrowing the list of potential candidates doesn't really get us anywhere.

Sure, it could theoretically narrow the list of the Proposed Candidates, but so what? I mean, how much better off would we be if we all eventually agreed to kick the Kyton Eremite off the list for being too obscure? We'd be zero percent better. And that's assuming we actually agreed on the concept (which we don't) and that we could smoothly come up with a list of really precise and clear guidelines to apply (which we wouldn't). Its a counter-productive, insolvable exercise even without getting into the tangled morass of trying to come up with a set of guidelines based on guessing Rich's intentions.

Even a more straight-forward "weeding out", something as basic as "lets kick out everything that just couldn't plausibly be the MitD, starting with the Centaur", still wouldn't add any value even if it could be done without a massive forum bloodbath (which it probably can't), because our problem isn't too many candidates on the Proposed List, our problem is not enough candidates on the Fits Big Scenes list.

At the end of the day, we all agree that we currently have a slightly unsatisfyingly complete list of candidates. Anything that makes that list smaller is not going to make that list more satisfying and might, to someone in some small way, make it less satisfying which is a step backwards. Even if we're just talking about the Centaur.

As a final point, think about it this way: If we restricted ourselves to candidates that seemed "decently well known" (by some commonly agreed upon standard), what new candidate(s) would be introduced as a result? Or, what already proposed candidate(s) have been under-appreciated by us not imposing that standard? If there answer is "none", then it doesn't actually do us any good, does it?

Edit - Adding on to the "what monsters did you already know about?" list, I'd ballpark that I knew a couple dozen or so. There are probably a dozen or more that almost everyone with any familiarity with RPGs will at least know of (centaur, efreeti, dragons, etc), and I knew probably another dozen or so based on residual memories of the last time I played an RPG a couple decades ago (Slaadi, Glabrezu, Displacer Beast, etc), and then a smattering more from D&D/fantasy themed computer games and whatnot over the last few years (Fhoimoren Giant, Warforged, etc). I certainly had no idea what a Zodar or Laogzed were. Of the FBS list, the only ones I knew of were the Slaad (and even then I only knew they existed and were color coordinated, I had no idea Whites or Blacks specifically existed, much less their powers) and the Hunting Horror (and that's only because I'm a big Lovecraft fan).
    Last edited by Crusher; 2014-12-17 at 05:05 PM.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    Wow, someone sure knows how to be humble. I suppose then you have an answer to the questions he brought up?
    Not in the slightest

I mean, if the character was written with the same readership the comic has now, then I would honestly think it would be something recognizable to "the average person (American, fine)". I mean it would be cruel to have a puzzle that so many people who don't even play D&D want to figure out be some obscure thing.

But that's not the crowd he had, what? 9 years ago? Back then the readership was a mostly hardcore D&D fanbase. So while I still don't think it will end up being "The half-illithid purple brood-keeper which was statted out in Dragon #203", I think it would be something recognizable at least to a regular d&d player. Even if it is an iconic monster from 1E (which would explain why everyone is surprised to see it, since it should have been in Durokon's Dungeon) at least when people see it they would go "oh, THAT'S what it is", not "what the heck is that"

Ultimately, the proof against your theory comes from all the work done in this thread so far. If the MitD really was something that Rich meant to be easily recognizable, then why hasn't anyone recognized him yet? If it's supposed to be a puzzle that most readers can solve, then why has it yet to be solved? Even our best guesses still have significant problems, and certainly none of them fit your "somewhat familiar" requirement.

While I'm sure Rich would have loved for MitD to be something unrecognizable that everyone goes, "Oooh, of COURSE!" to when it's revealed, but that's not the only way to go with this, unless he's been purposefully dropping misleading clues, but that would make the reveal even more disappointing. "Oh, it was actually the Tarrasque all along! It has wish because of a Ring of Wish it had eaten eons ago, and it's smaller and lighter than normal because, uh, a wizard did it.
    But, as you pointed out, my theory has many flaws, which is why I was so snarky.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

But, as you pointed out, my theory has many flaws, which is why I was so snarky.
    Usually, realizing that your theory has many flaws doesn't manifest as, "You're wrong, and I'm almost certainly right." That's not snarky, that's dismissive and rude.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

As an exercise for the readers, can you guys run down the list and give me a number of the ones you guys did know before the thread and which ones you don't? Oh, and be hones - don't count the Astral Dragon just because you knew about chromatic dragons.
    Spoiler: what I'd heared about
    Show

Of the current FBS list (section 3a, 6 entries), I knew none before this thread. I've heared of how Schlock Mercenary was a famous webcomic strip, but haven't ever read any substantial amount of it, don't know anything about its story, and definitely didn't know about the Carbosilicate Amorph.

Of section 3b, I'd definitely heared of deities and grues (the dark-loving kind). I've heared of pun-pun like munchkin characters independently, but I'm not sure that was before this thread, unless you take it very loosely. I have heared of the snarl before, obviously, but not of "Snarl Jr". I definitely hadn't met the tarrasque before.

Of section 3c, I had heared about Godzilla, Heffalump (from Winnie-the-Pooh), Kirby (Nintendo games), My Little Pony, Ygramul (I proposed this, and it's the best among all I proposed I think), Yoshi (from the Super Mario games) before this thread (this doesn't mean I knew much about them). I had also heared of some other unlikely copyrighted stuff I mentioned just for the sake of exercise, like Marry Poppins.

Of section 3d, I had heared of Audrey II (I've seen the film), Bigfoot, Centaur, Cherub, Disenchanter, Displacer Beast (those purple monsters with displacement that appear in OotS), Dragon, Earth Elemental, Efreet, Genie/Djinn, Grendel, Half-Giant (from Harry Potter only), Hephaestus (the lame god from Greek mythology), Illithid (mind flayer), Incubus (demon), Jubilex (demon lord), Nessie the Loch Ness Monster, Pit Fiend (another demon or devil thingy), Shade (undead), Snark, Solar (angelic being), Sphinx, Titan, Troll, Vaarsuvius, Velociraptor (dinosaur), Warforged (humanoid-shaped construct), Wumpus. I'd heared of Gozilla if it's the same giant dinosaur-like monster as Godzilla from section 3c. I'd heared of Cuatl if it's the same as couatl, the serpent-like being originating from old south american mythology. I may have heared of a Baku, but more l likely only of a different monster with the same name, I can't load the link. I've heared of a deus ex machina, but not a personified one; of King-Kong, but not of a descendent of his; and of an umber hulk, but not a Truly Horrid one. I'd heared of Jabberwock from the Lewis Carol poem, and if "Jaberwock" is a misspelling for it, you should correct it. I'd heared of reality warpers, but I'm not sure this is the same kind. I'd heared of a yeti, but I think before this thread I thought it's another name for a bigfoot – now I believe they're actually two very similar creatures originating from different myths, both similar to trolls from norse mythology. I'd also heared of some of the unlikely non-copyrighted stuff I mentioned for the sake of exercise, such as the earthquaker from Andrew Lang's book.

Hmm, that's actually quite a lot, but I'm taking "heared of" broadly, I might not have been able to list the properties of some of these, and I'm not completely sure all of those were before this thread.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    I'd heared of Gozilla if it's the same giant dinosaur-like monster as Godzilla from section 3c. [...] I'd heared of Jabberwock from the Lewis Carol poem, and if "Jaberwock" is a misspelling for it, you should correct it.
    Removed Godzilla as a dup of 3c, and fixed Jabberwock. Edit: fixed spelling of Couatl too.

Thanks!

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2014-12-17 at 06:15 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ettin in the Playground

Usually, realizing that your theory has many flaws doesn't manifest as, "You're wrong, and I'm almost certainly right." That's not snarky, that's dismissive and rude.
    Well, that's why I put the smiley face, to convey sarcasm. I mean his opinion almost certainly has more merit than mine, since as was pointed out, if my idea was true the monster should have been discovered by now.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2014-12-17 at 06:20 PM.

12. - Top - End - #312

As an exercise for the readers, can you guys run down the list and give me a number of the ones you guys did know before the thread and which ones you don't? Oh, and be hones - don't count the Astral Dragon just because you knew about chromatic dragons.
    Here's my number known:

3a: 2/6
    3b: 4/5 (all but Snarl Jr)
    3c: 15/25
    3d: 57/148
    3e: 3/5

And a list of the ones I knew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    3a
    Hunting Horror (CoC)
    Slaad

3b
    Deity
    Grue
    Pun-Pun
    Tarrasque

3c
    Boggart (Harry Potter)
    Domo-kun
    FF Black Mage
    FF Red Mage
    Godzilla & pals
    Heffalump
    Kirby
    My Little Pony
    Q (from Star Trek)
    Snorlax
    Tonberri
    Vorlon (from Babylon 5)
    Weeping Angel (from Dr. Who)
    Yoshi
    Zoidberg

3d
    Aboleth mage
    Astral Dreadnaught
    Audrey II
    Baku
    Barghest
    Bigfoot
    Centaur
    Couatl
    Crypt Thing
    Dao
    DEM
    Displacer Beast
    Dragon
    Dread Linnorm
    Earth Elemental
    Efreet
    Enveloper
    Formian Myrmarch
    Genie/Djinn
    Giant Space Hamster
    Girard
    Glabrezu
    Gray Render
    Grendel
    Gray Slaad
    Guardinal, Leonal
    Half-Giant
    Hellfire Wyrm
    Hephaestus
    Illithid
    Incubus
    Infernal
    Jabberwock
    Jubilex
    Li Lung
    Neo-otyugh
    Nessie
    Nightmare Beast
    Oni
    Phasm
    Pit Fiend
    Planetar
    Reality Warper (ie 5d imp)
    Shoggoth
    Snark
    Solar
    Sphinx
    Stench kow
    Sun Wukong
    Titan
    Troll
    Vaarsuvius
    Velociraptor
    Warforged
    Wendigo
    Wild Things
    Yeti

3e
    Rock
    Gazebo
    Fanboy
    Last edited by Bird; 2014-12-17 at 06:57 PM.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

I'm not sure if this has been pointed out, but in #699, MitD couldn't use whatever it used to teleport again, and it itself didn't know why. It also (believes that it) can't use magic.

The next comic (#700), which showed the MitD knowing about the half-ritual thing, makes the above interesting though.

MitD probably also has some form of telekinesis, since it doesn't seem to use hands to play board games. Unless I'm reading too much into it.
    Last edited by goto124; 2014-12-17 at 09:01 PM.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    MitD probably also has some form of telekinesis, since it doesn't seem to use hands to play board games. Unless I'm reading too much into it.
    He doesn't need telekinesis for that. He can just announce his move, and O-Chul moves the physical stone on the board.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure if this has been pointed out, but in #699, MitD couldn't use whatever it used to teleport again, and it itself didn't know why. It also (believes that it) can't use magic.
    It has been pointed out. Many feel it is strongly indicative that there is a hard limit on the number of wishes he can cast (e.g. Zodar's "only thrice") or indicative of a extended period between casting (e.g. "one per month"). The second avenue of inquiry has turned out to be a lot more barren than I would have expected - turns out, very few 3.5 creatures have that kind of conditionals (it was more an AD&D style, maybe?). There is also the matter of emotional connection to O-Chul that is not present with random goblin - truenaming has been mentioned in connection to this, and it is the lynchpin of our search for spontanous ("sorcery") castings of teleport. If neither of those convince you, the old "well, he's MitD, he is rather ignorant" can do.

The next comic (#700), which showed the MitD knowing about the half-ritual thing, makes the above interesting though.
    Can't say I understand why. Knowledge(Arcana) is not necessarily connected to casting ability -sure, they often go hand in hand, but it is hardly required. I am particularly fond of the explanation that MitD has telepathy, and heard RC thinking about the half-ritual, which is why he knows. It is a weak explanation, I'll grant you, but it fits nicely with why MitD is so confused: if he can't tell when people are talking and when they are merely thinking, he must live in a very confused environment of babble that often contradicts itself (E.g.: someone thinking: "man, you are fat" and then saying: "Hey, you look good. Did you loose some weight?")

If he has telekinesis, why did he need to rock the box to hook the bucket with stew in SoD? More likely, any moves happen between panels, or MitD says where he wants the stone, O-Chul moves them for him.

Grey Wolf

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

Can't say I understand why. Knowledge(Arcana) is not necessarily connected to casting ability -sure, they often go hand in hand, but it is hardly required. I am particularly fond of the explanation that MitD has telepathy, and heard RC thinking about the half-ritual, which is why he knows. It is a weak explanation, I'll grant you, but it fits nicely with why MitD is so confused: if he can't tell when people are talking and when they are merely thinking, he must live in a very confused environment of babble that often contradicts itself (E.g.: someone thinking: "man, you are fat" and then saying: "Hey, you look good. Did you loose some weight?")
    That could also explain how he knows about the Astral Plane.

If he has telekinesis, why did he need to rock the box to hook the bucket with stew in SoD? More likely, any moves happen between panels, or MitD says where he wants the stone, O-Chul moves them for him.

Grey Wolf
    There's no way he told O-Chul where to move the piece, and then told O-Chul it was his move. I think MitD moved the piece himself in some capacity during that panel.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    That could also explain how he knows about the Astral Plane.
    That actually would fall under Knowledge (The Planes).

18. - Top - End - #318
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rweird View Post
    That actually would fall under Knowledge (The Planes).
    You misunderstand the comment; The "telepath" explanation does away with any Knowledge (Thing) skills being mandated; he would know about the half ritual from Redcloak's thoughts, and know about the Astral Plane from Xykon's thoughts.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2014-12-18 at 03:04 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

19. - Top - End - #319

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You misunderstand the comment; The "telepath" explanation does away with any Knowledge (Thing) skills; he would know about the arcane half of the ritual from Redcloak's thoughts, and know about the Astral Plane from Xykon's thoughts.
    Ah, still, telepathy doesn't work that way in D&D (it allows you to communicate, however reading thoughts is much harder. Detect Thoughts might work, but Xykon is an undead and would be immune.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, still, telepathy doesn't work that way in D&D (it allows you to communicate, however reading thoughts is much harder. Detect Thoughts might work, but Xykon is an undead and would be immune.
    Much harder? It's a 2nd level power.

Read Thoughts
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2014-12-18 at 03:58 PM.

21. - Top - End - #321

Much harder? It's a 2nd level power.

Read Thoughts
    Read Thoughts is the Psioninc equivalent of Detect Thoughts.

I'm not all that familiar with Psionics, I know a number of creatures have Detect Thoughts as a Su/SLA at-will, I don't know if anything besides a Psion/Wilder would be able to use Read Thoughts. I wouldn't be surprised if various psionic creatures do, but so far we haven't found anything with that psionic ability that is a good fit (or at all, to my limited memory).

Read Thoughts wouldn't work on Xykon (or any undead) either as it is mind-effecting, to which all undead are flat-out immune. Reading RC's mind could explain how the Hagunemnon knew about it being half the ritual, despite not having ranks in Knowledge (Arcana).

Still, he might be able to read other people's thoughts. The Hagunemnon has Detect Thoughts as an at-will SLA (DC 24), the Hunting Horror might have some CoC equivalent (don't know the CoC system).
    Last edited by rweird; 2014-12-18 at 04:35 PM.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ettin in the Playground

In order to use Read Thoughts you need to be a Telepath, which is how this entire conversation got started. That would kinda fit everything. Well, except the fact that Psionic Teleport is a Nomad power. Which means you need some sort of monster that can cast both as SLA's, which has so far been elusive.

(Telepaths and Nomads are disciplines like Conjurers and Evokers, except that you only pick one)
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2014-12-18 at 04:42 PM.

23. - Top - End - #323

We have no evidence of the MitD having class levels. I don't know of any psionic monsters that can manifest/has SLAs although that could explain the escape. We'd need it to be weird-lookinghave aura, and be really strong. There is some template that can give Greater Psionic Teleport (requires 16+ HD, but we don't really have evidence of the template). It as an interesting line of questioning though.

I thought you meant "Has telepathy" from "Telepath." Sorry.
    Last edited by rweird; 2014-12-18 at 04:56 PM.

24. - Top - End - #324

ElfWarriorGuy

We have no evidence of the MitD having class levels. I don't know of any psionic monsters that can manifest/has SLAs although that could explain the escape. We'd need it to be weird-lookinghave aura, and be really strong. There is some template that can give Greater Psionic Teleport (requires 16+ HD, but we don't really have evidence of the template). It as an interesting line of questioning though.

Well, this does bring us back to the Intellect Devourer and its Wild Talent feat which lets it... do something? Not that I'm particularly advocating this, but hypothetically speaking, would a half-dragon half-whatever Intellect Devourer (enough templates to get it to 16+ HD) be capable of Psionic Teleport?
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

25. - Top - End - #325

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Well, this does bring us back to the Intellect Devourer and its Wild Talent feat which lets it... do something? Not that I'm particularly advocating this, but hypothetically speaking, would a half-dragon half-whatever Intellect Devourer (enough templates to get it to 16+ HD) be capable of Psionic Teleport?
    We have the templated potted plant. But, yes.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, there's something odd about the Protean. It says it has "psionics" as SLA's, but then lists a bunch of spells. I don't get that at all.

What template gives Greater Psionic Teleport? Phrenic Creature gives regular Psionic Teleport.

Speaking of which, is there a reason this template doesn't appear in any of the lists?
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2014-12-18 at 05:26 PM.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

Well, there's something odd about the Protean. It says it has "psionics" as SLA's, but then lists a bunch of spells. I don't get that at all.
    The Protean ins't technically a psionic monster (because it come out before there were such thing as psionics monsters in 3.0). The "psionics" is just the name of his ability, which is a bunch of SLAs which emulate psionic powers. Someone mentioned that there is a way to convert this kind of pre-psionic-rules monsters to use the psionic rules, which by some method gave it teleport, but (as mentioned in OP), we don't know that such rules are in place, and thus Protean depends on the Alter Shape power instead to explain the escape.

Grey Wolf

28. - Top - End - #328

What template gives Greater Psionic Teleport?
    Couatls and other MMI creatures have psionics as SLAs, for people who don't use the Psionics handbook. I believe that one of the psionic books has rules for converting them if psionic.

Phrenic template gives Psionic teleport (misremembered, it isn't greater) at 16+ HD.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ettin in the Playground

Grey, I asked a question above after you already answered. IS there a reason the Phrenic template doesn't appear in any of the lists? I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of it, but it could be added to any number of "strong" monsters to give them access to Teleport/

30. - Top - End - #330

Grey, I asked a question above after you already answered. IS there a reason the Phrenic template doesn't appear in any of the lists? I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of it, but it could be added to any number of "strong" monsters to give them access to Teleport/
    2d Augmentation mentions stuff like that.