New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: MitD VIII: Everything we know about MITD (but were afraid Tarrasque)

My interpretation of that quote is that a denizen of the upper or lower planes will always be able to tell whether or not their actions and choices meet up with their ideals. They can still purposefully ignore those ideals for various reasons, but doing so is a deliberate and informed choice, rather than a gut reaction that isn't based on a careful examination of the scenario.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

2. - Top - End - #752
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: MitD VIII: Everything we know about MITD (but were afraid Tarrasque)

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Sabine ... also helps her friend Vaarsuvius
    Assuming that Sabine sees V as a friend is a very dangerous assumption. First, after hearing V talk about how V would use her(V's) power to recover an errant lovers attention, Sabine went and reported V to her boss as a potential target. (Note: she did this after telling V "You're all right, Elf.") Later she provides V intelligence on Vector Legion why? because she wants revenge on Tarquin!
    In short, whatever evidence this gives of Sabine's true colors, it does not prove anything resembling goodness on Sabine's part, and hence on races defined by alignment.

Also, I would add to what Keltest says above, even beings of diverse alignment and goals may well cooperate toward some short term goal, like preserving the world against an Eldritch Abomination like the Snarl.
    Last edited by Windscion; 2015-08-05 at 09:34 AM.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Also, bear in mind that Rich has noted that you can't just look at a character saying something that sounds smart and thus assume they have a high INT. Maybe it was just a lucky moment. Similarly, you can't take an instance of a character seemingly behaving randomly and assume they're Chaotic. Could be a one-off moment, or their seemingly random behavior could be driven by a conflict in interpreting a pair of strictly followed rules of behavior, and rather than being Chaotic is actually deeply Lawful behavior.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

4. - Top - End - #754

The DstP commentary may only mean that whereas Celia screwing up is unremarkable, an angel failing to be good would be extraordinary. An angel "cannot" be evil in the sense that an elephant cannot fly, but an extraordinary individual like Dumbo can find a way around that.

Suffice it to say that I don't think that the Giant meant for that commentary to be a treatise on deva behavior, and so it isn't enough to convince me one way or the other of what his opinions on the possibility (however remote) of alignment slippage in living embodiments of alignment may be.

Finally, on topic (?), please permit me to propose Dumbo as MitD and immediately withdraw that suggestion because it is stupid.
    Last edited by Bird; 2015-08-04 at 11:31 PM.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I don't really know if it counts as evidence for this or that creature, and maybe it was already pointed out here, but I've just noticed that, in the "ESCAPE" scene, #661, beetween panel 9 and 11, MitD's eyes seem to glow when he shouts "ESCAPE", and the frightened expression in his eyes disappears, as if he was in some sort of trance.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

6. - Top - End - #756
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    My interpretation of that quote is that a denizen of the upper or lower planes will always be able to tell whether or not their actions and choices meet up with their ideals. They can still purposefully ignore those ideals for various reasons, but doing so is a deliberate and informed choice, rather than a gut reaction that isn't based on a careful examination of the scenario.
    (This quote selected as a broad representative of the arguments made by not just Keltest but other participants - I'm a tad busy and can't answer individually, sorry)

While I accept this is the case, when I try to apply this to MitD, it breaks down. This is a creature that is not describable as "deliberate" in any of its actions. And yet he has no problem eating sentient beings, but has an issue with consuming children of any species. He became fast friends with a captured Paladin, who saw nothing evil in him, and yet was abducted by RedCloak to serve as his houseplant-slash-muscle (RC would not have abducted an embodiment of Good). He laughs at the idea of having an evil plan to crush the good guys, but he keeps betting on O-Chul to live happily ever after when he could be hoping to see him chomped and in pain (this is a key point: I am fairly certain that even those evil incarnations that have shown to care for others - Qarr and Sabine - would still appreciate the show, even if they cared for the individual).

Yes, I accept that embodiments of good and evil have a measure of free will and that they can love and be loved - we know that much from the IFCC and Sabine. But whatever measure they have, they are still embodiments of their respective morality planes. Trying to square that with MitD simply doesn't work, because he is all over the place alignment wise.

(As always, if you guys want to have the discussion on just how much free will a demon can have, the MitD thread is really not the best place for it. If nothing else, it robs others who might be interested in that but not in MitD from participating)

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    I don't really know if it counts as evidence for this or that creature, and maybe it was already pointed out here, but I've just noticed that, in the "ESCAPE" scene, #661, beetween panel 9 and 11, MitD's eyes seem to glow when he shouts "ESCAPE", and the frightened expression in his eyes disappears, as if he was in some sort of trance.
    It has been pointed out before, and I do recall one creature using it as a key defence point, but most often as a general "that is what psionics looks like when casting".

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2015-08-05 at 10:41 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

7. - Top - End - #757
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I think the best guess in the opening post of this thread is the Uvuudaum, because the cons are probably the least of any of the proposals. The Uvuudaum might not usually be depicted with an eyes or mouth, but I don't see why that excludes the possibility entirely. Furthermore, I don't think a Confusion Aura is necessary to explain the circus scene, just the fact of what he is (an ugly commonly unseen creature with high charisma) is enough, thus explaining the lack of swirly eyes.

Another point in favor I think is his +22 Diplomacy, which probably helped in convincing Xykon that pursuing the Order of the Stick was a waste of time.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sabot Cat View Post
    I think the best guess in the opening post of this thread is the Uvuudaum, because the cons are probably the least of any of the proposals. The Uvuudaum might not usually be depicted with an eyes or mouth, but I don't see why that excludes the possibility entirely. Furthermore, I don't think a Confusion Aura is necessary to explain the circus scene, just the fact of what he is (an ugly commonly unseen creature with high charisma) is enough, thus explaining the lack of swirly eyes.

Another point in favor I think is his +22 Diplomacy, which probably helped in convincing Xykon that pursuing the Order of the Stick was a waste of time.
    The problem for the confusion aura is not that it is needed to explain the circus scene, but that it cannot be turned off. With a DC of 47 (Will), every single peasant watching the show would inevitably be confused, just like the Paladins in the throne room. 25% of the public would then proceed to attack someone else, which would cause the same chain reaction that happened in the throne room. Since nothing of that happened - not even swirly eyes - that is a significant issue for the uvuu. Yes, "weakened" aura is invoked to explain it, but it's a weak explanation, by the standards of section 1a. Hardly what I would call "the least of the cons".

As to the lack of eyes, the issue is that the uvuu doesn't seem to have a head, only a spike - no eyes, no mouth. This is fairly well established in all drawings I can find of the uvuu. Do you have anything that shows otherwise?

Also, please be aware that there are more proposals than the 6 in section 1a. If you don't have a problem with the uvuu's lack of eyes and mouth, what is your opinion on the Zodar?

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2015-08-05 at 12:42 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

9. - Top - End - #759
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    The problem for the confusion aura is not that it is needed to explain the circus scene, but that it cannot be turned off. With a DC of 47 (Will), every single peasant watching the show would inevitably be confused, just like the Paladins in the throne room. 25% of the public would then proceed to attack someone else, which would cause the same chain reaction that happened in the throne room. Since nothing of that happened - not even swirly eyes - that is a significant issue for the uvuu. Yes, "weakened" aura is invoked to explain it, but it's a weak explanation, by the standards of section 1a. Hardly what I would call "the least of the cons".

As to the lack of eyes, the issue is that the uvuu doesn't seem to have a head, only a spike - no eyes, no mouth. This is fairly well established in all drawings I can find of the uvuu. Do you have anything that shows otherwise?

Ah, I was under the false impression that it was an attack which required intent.

And I just didn't think it's explicitly stated in the text that it doesn't have eyes, giving wiggle room for Rich to depict it with them, although yeah considering how prominent the MitD's eyes are, that is a weak argument. That seemed to be a less serious problem than some of the others.

Also, please be aware that there are more proposals than the 6 in section 1a. If you don't have a problem with the uvuu's lack of eyes and mouth, what is your opinion on the Zodar?

Grey Wolf
    I don't think the MitD is bipedal, or humanoid at all, among other problems.
    Last edited by Sabot Cat; 2015-08-05 at 02:37 PM.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

I was rereading section 3a, and looking into the Hagunemmon in particular. I think it's a better fit than that section gives it credit for. One of the drawbacks listed there is:

"Plane shift doesn't fit well with the escape as shown (see 1b: The Escape), and while greater teleport fits slightly better, it requires a timely shapeshift into the exact appropriate creature."

This implies that a Hagunemmon does not have concious control over its shapeshifting, and would need to get lucky to shapeshift in just the right way. However, according to the SRD, it fairly clearly does have control over what form it assumes with the Alter Shape ability. So I think that a Hagunemmon fits in every way except for the lack of effect of the shapeshifting on MitD's visible features.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ibgdude View Post
    I was rereading section 3a, and looking into the Hagunemmon in particular. I think it's a better fit than that section gives it credit for. One of the drawbacks listed there is:

"Plane shift doesn't fit well with the escape as shown (see 1b: The Escape), and while greater teleport fits slightly better, it requires a timely shapeshift into the exact appropriate creature."

This implies that a Hagunemmon does not have concious control over its shapeshifting, and would need to get lucky to shapeshift in just the right way. However, according to the SRD, it fairly clearly does have control over what form it assumes with the Alter Shape ability. So I think that a Hagunemmon fits in every way except for the lack of effect of the shapeshifting on MitD's visible features.
    The issue is that the MitD didn't know he had that ability. So, assumming he is a Hagunemmon, it's not that he can't control what he turns into, it's that he has no idea what to turn into. It so requires the same timely shapeshift into the exact appropriate creature.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #762
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    The issue is that the MitD didn't know he had that ability. So, assumming he is a Hagunemmon, it's not that he can't control what he turns into, it's that he has no idea what to turn into. It so requires the same timely shapeshift into the exact appropriate creature.
    Given that he seemed to use the teleport ability on instinct rather than through a conscious thought (and indeed, wasn't aware that he did it at first), I don't see it as much of a stretch that he could assume a viable form on instinct as well.

Of greater concern is the static facial features, especially if the MITD is not in conscious control of its shapeshifting.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

13. - Top - End - #763
    Titan in the Playground

Given that he seemed to use the teleport ability on instinct rather than through a conscious thought (and indeed, wasn't aware that he did it at first), I don't see it as much of a stretch that he could assume a viable form on instinct as well.

Of greater concern is the static facial features, especially if the MITD is not in conscious control of its shapeshifting.
    FWIW, I hold the exact opposite view. I find it harder to swallow that MITD was able to subconsciously select the right shape than the fact that it keeps his face static. It takes a protean conscious effort to stay the same shape, which would explain why MitD is so lazy: he spends his day purposely keeping his shape (why? because not knowing any better, he sees everyone else stay static, so he thinks he must follow suit), and that means he has little conscious thought left for anything else.

On the other hand, turning into a umbral blot subconsciously? Eh. Maybe I'd feel better about it if we found another creature that could teleport as an Extraodinary power - umbral blot is a black hole construct, and I have a hard time picturing how anything could even partially shapeshift into that, never mind when MitD learnt of their existence in the first place.

Grey Wolf

14. - Top - End - #764
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

FWIW, I hold the exact opposite view. I find it harder to swallow that MITD was able to subconsciously select the right shape than the fact that it keeps his face static. It takes a protean conscious effort to stay the same shape, which would explain why MitD is so lazy: he spends his day purposely keeping his shape (why? because not knowing any better, he sees everyone else stay static, so he thinks he must follow suit), and that means he has little conscious thought left for anything else.

On the other hand, turning into a umbral blot subconsciously? Eh. Maybe I'd feel better about it if we found another creature that could teleport as an Extraodinary power - umbral blot is a black hole construct, and I have a hard time picturing how anything could even partially shapeshift into that, never mind when MitD learnt of their existence in the first place.

Grey Wolf
    The problem with that is that if his laziness was tied to literally being unable to concentrate on doing anything, the periods of time we do see him thinking and acting more than his norm, he should be losing concentration on his form and starting to shift.

I could buy that he spends concentration keeping his face (or at least eyes) the same through his forms though, if only because it would be disorienting not to.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Titan in the Playground

The problem with that is that if his laziness was tied to literally being unable to concentrate on doing anything, the periods of time we do see him thinking and acting more than his norm, he should be losing concentration on his form and starting to shift.
    Not necessarily. By RAW, a protean can maintain a shapeshift if he spends a move-equivalent action. That is a significant expenditure - literally, he can't maintain shape, move and act in the same round - but it still leaves him with another action per round that he can use. Yes, he can't move and attack, or perform full attacks, and it may even take him multiple rounds to do basic tasks such as "carry this box to over there", but he can still eventually get everything done, just taking at least twice as long as anyone with full sets of actions.

EDIT: another reason why he keeps the shape: it has the Ex ability to speak common

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2015-08-25 at 11:58 AM.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Not necessarily. By RAW, a protean can maintain a shapeshift if he spends a move-equivalent action. That is a significant expenditure - literally, he can't maintain shape, move and act in the same round - but it still leaves him with another action per round that he can use. Yes, he can't move and attack, or perform full attacks, and it may even take him multiple rounds to do basic tasks such as "carry this box to over there", but he can still eventually get everything done, just taking at least twice as long as anyone with full sets of actions.

Grey Wolf
    My problem is that there is a certain disconnect between focusing on something intangible to other people and being lazy. The only way I can think of to bridge that disconnect would be to give the MITD a finite amount of attention, most of which is spent maintaining his shape. He would then be lazy because he doesn't have enough concentration left to seriously concern himself with going about actually doing things.

I just don't think the MITD having a single constant form is consistent with how he has been portrayed.

17. - Top - End - #767

ElfWarriorGuy

Grey Wolf
    This is a point that's been rattling around in my head as a con for the Hagunneman (sic) for quite a while, but I hadn't gotten around to bringing up. Yes, a partial shapeshift at the right time answers the Escape scene, but even setting aside the improbability of MitD instinctively doing it, people should really read the description of an Umbral Blot.

Its not just a random monster that happens to be able to cast Greater Teleport. Its a mobile, self-directing sphere of annihilation/black hole. Anything coming into contact with it (like, say, a wooden box, or perhaps the non-transformed part of MitD) has to make a DC38 Fort save or be instantly disintegrated, and if it loses concentration and fails to maintain its insulation, it creates a giant vacuum, indiscriminately sucking in everything nearby (including air) and disintegrating it all.

So, that's not to say that it can't work. It certainly can. However, there are some major cons to this solution in addition to simply being unlikely.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    This is a point that's been rattling around in my head as a con for the Hagunneman (sic) for quite a while, but I hadn't gotten around to bringing up.
    On the other hand, it demonstrates that there is such a thing as an extraordinary teleport power (i.e. a non-spell-like ability teleport power), and therefore that other creatures might also have such an ability that can be co-opted by MitD. And if I have learnt anything in this thread, it is that the search space of creatures with D&D stats is truly, mind-bogingly huge. Therefore, while maybe the umbral blot is not the the most ideal candidate, it is a proof of concept, if you will, of what we are looking for.

(Also, for what is worth, the protean doesn't automatically obtain all the powers of the creatures it partially transforms into - it can select up to 4, but clearly in this case it is only the part of the umbral blot that is NOT responsible for the vortex Ex power)

Grey Wolf

19. - Top - End - #769

ElfWarriorGuy

On the other hand, it demonstrates that there is such a thing as an extraordinary teleport power (i.e. a non-spell-like ability teleport power), and therefore that other creatures might also have such an ability that can be co-opted by MitD. And if I have learnt anything in this thread, it is that the search space of creatures with D&D stats is truly, mind-bogingly huge. Therefore, while maybe the umbral blot is not the the most ideal candidate, it is a proof of concept, if you will, of what we are looking for.
    Excellent point.

Really, we should probably put some effort into finding something else that can do that, just so we can stop using Umbral Blot as the example for the Hagunemnon's go-to shiftshift. Because an Umbral Blot, your follow-on point not withstanding, is otherwise one of the worst choices imaginable for the situation. Yes, by RAW, it could probably transform into an Umbral Blot yet have neither Vortex nor Disintegrating Touch, but it simply reeks of abuse. The best example I can think of is MitD turning itself into water that was able to put out fires, yet somehow wasn't wet or drinkable. In what sense is it actually water? But I digress.

Edit - On another point, it feels like folks are starting to use the thread as a springboard for guessing what the MitD actually is. While that's certainly a past-time I'm interested in, I think its worth reminding folks that this thread isn't actually the place for that since "I think MitD is an X" doesn't really advance the discussion of trying to figure out what it is.

That kind of guessing should really be done in another thread intended for that purpose. While I think the creation of such a thread will be warranted in due course (probably around the time the action turns back to Team Evil), and I don't think that time is far away (at least, far away in plot-terms), its not here quite yet. Believe me, I've been anticipating the appropriate creation of such a thread for *years*.
    Last edited by Crusher; 2015-08-25 at 10:42 PM.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, I should think about this. I think Igramul, being a swarm of insect-like creatures, would also need to concentrate to keep his shape. The case is quite different, for Igramul isn't the kind of shape-shifter that polymorphs (partially) to other creatures or gains their abilities. He only shifts its form to appear as a particular shape of hive of wasps. When he appears in front of Atreyu in the shape of a gigantic (humanoid) face, he isn't using the eyes of the face to see, or the mouth of the face to speak. He can see (though his vision is bad) and speak common no matter his form.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    On the other hand, it demonstrates that there is such a thing as an extraordinary teleport power (i.e. a non-spell-like ability teleport power), and therefore that other creatures might also have such an ability that can be co-opted by MitD. And if I have learnt anything in this thread, it is that the search space of creatures with D&D stats is truly, mind-bogingly huge.
    Really, we should probably put some effort into finding something else that can do that, just so we can stop using Umbral Blot as the example for the Hagunemnon's go-to shiftshift.
    The teleport power is exactly why I keep thinking of Igramul (aka Ygramul; see details in linked post).
    Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    The escape. Igramul stings his victims with a poison that kills within an hour, but this gives the victims the power to teleport themselves anywhere. Irgamul specifically does not teleport with the victims when they use this ability. [...] In the book, when Igramul stings Atreyu, he concentrates on the destination he wants to teleport to, feels strong pain then faints. Atreyu has never been to the destination and doesn't know too much about that place either. Atreyu and Fuhur survive because they are found and healed soon after they teleport.
    I don't know D&D rules to tell if that's an extraordinary ability, but it doesn't seem like a spell-like ability. I think that if a shapechanger could change to the form of Igramul's species, he would probably get that sting attack.

Another monster with a similar attack is the quantum mechanic from nethack.

This is a monster with a medium-sized humanoid body, and a teleport touch attack. If the quantum mechanic's attack hits, it has a chance to teleport the attacked player or monster. The teleport doesn't often work in practice, for by the time players meet quantum mechanics, even if the hit gets through their armor, they have magic cancellation to negate it. (This means Vaarsuvius would be unlikely to be teleported because he is wearing a cloak that provides magic cancellation, but the rules adapted to D&D or the Stickverse would be different.) If the teleport effect happens and the level isn't dimension locked, the attacked player or monster is usually teleported to a random safe location on the level, unless it has the teleport control ability, in which case it can choose the target location. (Again, the rules in D&D would be different from the ones in nethack.) The quantum mechanic itself stays in place when it teleports someone. A player can polymorph to quantum mechanic form, and gets to use this attack and can teleport monsters with it. (These aren't meant to be complete and precise rules, search the source for AD_TLPT if you need to know everything.) In this case too, I don't know if this would count as an extraordinary ability in D&D, but it's not a spell or spell-like ability.

I don't suggest that the MitD is a quantum mechanic, for that wouldn't explain the other big scenes.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I was thinking on something recently: tea (is it a party or more of a ceremony that the MitD is doing?) and Transformers. Both have eastern origins. And I'm starting to wonder if these might be clues to the meaning of the big game hunter's words ("I never expected to see one of these in this part of the world.")

Maybe we should be taking a harder look at the Oriental Adventures monster for candidates.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, Hello bKitty.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

23. - Top - End - #773

Just my two cents to the discussion.

What if the MitD has the body of a strong, ugly, really uncommon monster and the brain of a wizard (or magic user, or psion) cursed by a magical affliction or rejuvenated to childhood?

This would explain why the hunters were so surprised to find a common-speaking specimen, the physical attributes of MitD and the "Escape": MitD has the (latent) abilities allowing him to bring V and O-Chul to a safe place... but he's unaware of that.

What do you think?
    I'm back with my rats!

Stinky Feet:
    Season 1 Cup Finalist
    Die Valkyrie:
    Season 2 Cup Semifinalist
    Season 3 Division-A Champs and Cup Semifinalist

Beyond Entropy:
    Season 4... A messy but funny team!
    Sweet Feet:
    Season 5 and 6 Cup Semifinalist
    Ultimate Feet:
    Season 7 - The last season!

24. - Top - End - #774
    Halfling in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Leriel View Post

What if the MitD has the body of a strong, ugly, really uncommon monster and the brain of a wizard (or magic user, or psion) cursed by a magical affliction or rejuvenated to childhood?

This would explain why the hunters were so surprised to find a common-speaking specimen, the physical attributes of MitD and the "Escape": MitD has the (latent) abilities allowing him to bring V and O-Chul to a safe place... but he's unaware of that.

What do you think?
    Isnt that just a complicated way of saying monster with class levels (covered in section 2d)? Although amnesia could explain a lot
    Last edited by falsedot; 2015-08-27 at 05:54 AM.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leriel View Post

See section 2d: Reincarnation.

Grey Wolf

26. - Top - End - #776
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Hey all, some great ideas have been made on this thread.

I just wanted to put forward a couple of comments:
    First, the Quickened Dimensional Anchor shot. Keeping in mind that Rich does not always choose the same wall to be 4th:
    In 651, O-chul points left and MitD looks left. Also, relevantly the order of characters is Xykon, Redcloak, Jirix (see 652).
    In 652, by character order, the broken wall (assuming only one exists) is to the right. Vaarsuvius's Quickened Dimensional Anchor aims left.
    In 654, MitD is still looking left at the fight. MitD also mentions "The exit is the other way", meaning right. I'm assuming he means the exit door (see 656) rather than the large hole in the wall.
    In 656, O-chul is to the right, which is where Vaarsuvius runs, and where the stairs are.
    Mostly, despite being rather annoyingly inconsistent, this suggests the shot was at least in the correct direction.

Second, there are a few things in the OP that I'd like to see updated:
    - 1h mentions no shapeshifter has been proposed, but Hagunemnon (Protean) has a Shapeshift Free Action, which would be a change every 6 seconds.
    - 2b/Psionics mentions that an aura should be visible, but ignores the Magical Darkness. A glow around the eyes is reasonable, since it would imply either a hole or simple proximity to the edge, in either case a glow might bleed through.

I haven't read the entire thread, but I was wondering if anyone has made suggestions as to how MitD might cause rain.
    Last edited by darkid; 2015-08-28 at 12:14 AM.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darkid View Post
    Second, there are a few things in the OP that I'd like to see updated:
    - 1h mentions no shapeshifter has been proposed, but Hagunemnon (Protean) has a Shapeshift Free Action, which would be a change every 6 seconds.
    Protean is not a full shapeshifter. Yes, it can partially shapeshift into a different creature and adquire up to four of its extraordinary powers, but that is nowhere near the same. Read into how Pun-Pun is created to gain an understanding of just how ridiculously broken unbridled shapeshifting actually is. The Protean is nowhere close to that - the hunters would not have seen a (e.g.) rare golden Unicorn that couldn't speak - a Protean, regardless of what he is partially converting into, is always recognisable as a protean, and therefore does not fit the explanation for unrecognisability put forth in 1h.

- 2b/Psionics mentions that an aura should be visible, but ignores the Magical Darkness. A glow around the eyes is reasonable, since it would imply either a hole or simple proximity to the edge, in either case a glow might bleed through.
    The aura of targeted psionics extends from the caster to the target(s). There is no aura trail, or aura around O-Chul and V, in the escape.

I haven't read the entire thread, but I was wondering if anyone has made suggestions as to how MitD might cause rain.
    A couple of creatures with Control Weather as a Sp ability have been proposed.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2015-08-28 at 07:56 AM.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

If we assume the MiTD is an Uvuudaum, and that he can't turn off his aura, why is no one else affected by it ever? From what I understand magical darkness (or being put in a cage without magical darkness) does not suppress an aura, yet NONE of the low level goblins and hobgoblins he is frequently around ever show signs of being affected by confusion.

Logically this seems to leave us with 4 possibilities

A) The goblins all rolled a natural 20 (highly unlikely)
    B) MiTD can turn off his aura, in which case turning it on weakly should be possible (and would fit with both his comment about having people look at him is difficult, and the fact that he isn't trying to attack them)
    C) He isn't an Uvuudaum
    D) I don't understand how auras work

29. - Top - End - #779
    Ogre in the Playground

The aura of targeted psionics extends from the caster to the target(s). There is no aura trail, or aura around O-Chul and V, in the escape.
    Indeed. We've also seen healing spells and the lay hands ability many times, and a glow always shows up around the target.

A touch attack, on the other hand, wouldn't require this. Although the wight's draining touch does show a glow in #515, in #448 panel 17 where Xykon uses his paralyzing touch attack on O-Chul, there's no aura visible. This could apply to a touch attack teleport ability that isn't a spell but a supernatural ability, such as Igramul's or the quantum mechanic's I mentioned above, could work because it doesn't glow.

I've pointed out about Igramul that just before the escape in panel 10 of #661, both O-Chul's feet are conveniently off the panel, and Vaarsuvius's feet are covered by Xykon, and these are the parts closest to the MitD's cage. Thus, f the MitD were to make a touch attack, while at the same time trying to avoid getting too close to the angry Xykon, he could do it completely unseen on panel. (If this is the explanation, the MitD touching them could be shown in a flashback later.) I had pointed out that in both #448 and #464, the Giant hides something off-panel in a similar manner, although in both cases he reveals it within the same strip. There's still the problem that MitD appears to reside in his box, so it's hard to understand how he could make the touch attack.

Incidentally, a beam or ray spell, such as the Disintegration spell in OotS, also doesn't have an aura on the target, because it isn't targeted. Thus, it could work just like a touch attack, only even better, because the MitD can cast it from his box. Nethack has a teleport beam, which the player can use from a wand or a high level spell. (This is very powerful in-game when used against monsters, because it hits every monster automatically without a check, and there are only very few ways a monster can resist it. Monsters use this ability only on themselves.) In OotS, the prismatic ray is an example for such a spell: #927 shows that it doesn't create a glow when the ray hits someone. shows the same about a ray dimensional anchor spell: there's a green tint on Laurin's body showing that the anchor is active, but no glowing dweomer surrounding her at the time of the casting or hit.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Pixie in the Playground

I've found an interesting monster, but I'm not quite sure how well it fits because it's pathfinder instead of D&D.

Grootslang
    "According to legend, the Grootslang is a primordial creature as old as the world itself. Tales state that gods (who were new to the crafting of things) made a terrible mistake in the Grootslang's creation, and gave it tremendous strength, cunning, and intellect. Realizing their mistake, the gods split the Grootslang into separate creatures and thus created the first elephants and the first snakes. But one of the original Grootslangs escaped, and from this first sire all other Grootslangs were born." [Wikipedia]

Pathfinder stats:
    CR16, CE Gargantuan magical beast
    Init +4; Senses darkvision 120 ft., scent; Perception +28

DEFENSE
    AC 31, touch 11, flat-footed 26 (+4 Dex, +1 dodge, +20 natural, -4 size)
    hp 283 (21d10+168)
    Fort +20, Ref +16, Will +12
    DR 10/magic; SR 27

OFFENSE
    Speed 40 ft., swim 30 ft.
    Melee bite +30 (4d8+13/19-20), 2 stomps +25 (2d6+6), tail slap +25 (2d6+6)
    Space 20 ft.; Reach 20 ft.
    Special Attacks impaling bite, thunderous stomp (DC 28), trample (2d6+19, DC 33)

STATISTICS
    Str 36, Dex 19, Con 26, Int 15, Wis 20, Cha 15
    Base Atk +21; CMB +38; CMD 53 (55 vs. trip)
    Feats Awesome Blow, Bleeding Critical, Cleave, Critical Focus, Dodge, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Critical (bite), Mobility, Multiattack, Power Attack, Spring Attack
    Skills Acrobatics +15 (+19 when jumping), Bluff +4, Intimidate +15, Perception +28, Sense Motive +13, Stealth +10, Swim +45
    Languages Aquan, Common, Draconic
    SQ aquatic elusion, hold breath

----

1) Has a plausible explanation for the Escape?
    No, although its aquatic elusion power is a type of teleportation. ("As a standard action, a grootslang that is fully immersed in water can teleport to another body of water without error.")

2) Has a plausible explanation for the Tower (both his attack and his defence)?
    I think so. STR 36 and good defense.

3) Has a plausible explanation for the Circus (both his act, and the reactions)?
    It looks pretty freaky in some images. The harder part might actually be explaining the people who think it's beautiful. I guess some people like snake/elephant hybrids?

4) Isn't one of the impossible categories (unless it is an exception)?
    Nope, it's a magical beast.

5) Existed before strip #100 in a form accessible to Rich.
    Yep. Published in Pathfinder Bestiary 3 in 2000.

6) Size no bigger than Huge ("fits in the box")?
    No. It would have to be a younger Grootslang, which makes the other stuff tricky.

7) Is vulnerable to mind-affecting effects (SoD)?
    Yep.

Pros:
    • Its Thunderous Stomp works for the Earthquake scene. ("As a full-round action, a grootslang can rear up on its serpentine body to bring its massive forelimbs down with awesome force.")
    • Very intelligent creature with high perception.
    • Has a father (assuming it's not the original).
    • Having two forelimbs and a tail could explain why MiTD has trouble doing things with both hands (or finds it difficult to pull a rope).

Cons
    • Its teleportation power only works on itself in water
    • Higher wisdom than intelligence doesn't make sense
    • Too big
    • Speaks common