New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Game of Thrones thread number I dunno - do we still talk about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    At least at that point we won't be able to tell when they mix up the casting thanks to his lack of features.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I remember a old joke about how this version of Gregor is simply Westeros's most successful Faceless Man, because even when he changes into different forms people simply don't notice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Game of Thrones thread number I dunno - do we still talk about this?

They've done a fairly good job at keeping his voice the same though. Listen to the 1 sentence he speaks in season 1,2 and 3. They've clearly got the actors faking a particular kind of gruff, deep voice.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

OMG! The Mountain is a Timelord!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Banned

Some thoughts on the last few episodes. Not sure if these are spoilers, but I just want to make sure. Better safe than sorry:

Spoiler
    Show
    About the Theon-Castle-Rescue scene, yeah I do agree with the general consensus it was pointless. That said, I still enjoyed it more that Jon Snow liberating Craster's Keep. Your scene has a lot of dramatic weight when your psychic character just declares who is/isn't going to die in the near future. Maybe it's just me, but I was expecting a much better confrontation.

That being said, I do think The Laws of Gods and Men and Mockingbird were both excellent episodes and I'm excited for the upcoming episodes.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

So, I see on Wikipedia that the next episode will be entitled

Spoiler
    Show
    the Viper and the Mountain.

Are we excited about this? Yes we are. :)

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by Otomodachi View Post
    So, I see on Wikipedia that the next episode will be entitled

Spoiler
    Show
    the Viper and the Mountain.

Are we excited about this? Yes we are. :)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yet they never once in the show actually referred to him as the Viper. >_>
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Actually, they did once...in passing. It was shortly after he first arrived in King's Landing, I think. And what an awesome duelist he is.

8. - Top - End - #38

Kobold

Between the scene in the brothel and his general clearly-a-boss way of speaking and moving, I don't have to have read the books to know 100% that he is the viper the title refers to.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Spoilers
    Show
    Oh my gods... that was easily the most horrifying death I've ever seen on the show
    Lu'ciel, First Age Sorcerer-King of the Unconquered Sun avatar by linkele. many thanks to the person

Extended List of Games I'm in or GM'ing

My homebrew setting: Raeus

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosArchon View Post
    Spoiler: Spoilers
    Show
    Oh my gods... that was easily the most horrifying death I've ever seen on the show
    It's not often that I watch anything with my jaw literally hanging open.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

I love watching this show with non book readers. Oh how I laugh, and oh how they hate me.

I suppose I should give some thoughts.

Spoiler: New Episode
    Show
    The Grey Worm story is stupid. I hate when they writers do this. Oh we don't know how to do a character arc, here, let's add a romance for absolutely no reason that doesn't add anything to the story and doesn't make sense for the characters. It's dumb.

I have no idea what they're doing with Arya and the Hound. They just sort of announced that Arya was alive in front of a bunch of people, this seems a really strange change to make (though Arya's reaction to finding out her aunt is dead was hilarious). Same with Sansa really. I kind of like that we see Sansa's blossoming crafiness more directly than we do in the book where it is only displayed because she guesses Lyn Corbray's role in Baelish's plan, but again, announcing herself a Stark in front of a bunch of people is kind of a big change.

The Wall is off being Wall-y. Some changes from the book, but ultimately they just serve to add some action scenes while we wait for something important to happen. At least they didn't butcher Ser Thorne's character any further than they already had. I have no problem with it, so, moving on.

The Bolton's are fun. I think the actors who play Theon and Ramsay are both really good, and they didn't have Ramsay do anything stupid this time around, so I liked it. Also, the Ironborn continue to be backstabbing bickering bastards. How have they not been wiped out yet? GRRM, I love you, but you made a group of disorganized vikings that keep causing trouble for hundreds of years without any of the actual resources and reasons that allowed the vikings to be successful in the first place. They should have all been destroyed centuries ago.

So... Jaime and Tyrion's last discussion before the big day is about beetles. You know, a lot of the speeches added for the show are pretty decent. I thought this one was weak.

And finally the fight. Ok, this show has been going on for 4 years now. Is it really too much to ask to train your actors how to use a longsword? I know the actor playing The Mountain is new, but he was flailing around like he didn't know what he was doing. Martell was pretty good though (though admittedly I don't know as much about spear fighting), his flips were mostly utterly pointless and would do nothing but wear him out after the first couple which giving the benefit of the doubt were there to warm him up. But whatever, at least he looked like he was a competent fighter. It was still a really fun scene, and that ending. The pop. It was great. People watching with me screamed. I loved it.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2014-06-02 at 09:27 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JustPlayItLoud View Post
    It's not often that I watch anything with my jaw literally hanging open.

...*Snrk*.

On a more serious note, greatly enjoyed the episode but...maybe I've been pampered by more unrealistic series but I was hoping for a little more from the fight scene itself (mostly on the Mountain's side of things) and on the Mountain's actual lines.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: ...Gah.
    Show
    Well then. That. That was one of the most suspenseful battle scenes I've watched in a long time. And easily the grossest death on the show. I just sat there with my brother staring at the credits for about a minute. That.... was horrifying. If only Oberyn had simply gone for the quick kill. I really wanted to see a goodish character win this time... This new Mountain actor is very good at being detestable.

Or maybe I'm bias. Oberyn was one of my favorites, and now Tyrion's probably going to die. Unless the Mountain dies too.... Would he be allowed to live then, or...?

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Obligatory Incredibles Reference
    Show
    I think the whole beetle speech (while super weird and weak) was basically supposed to represent the strong brutes of the world oppressing the weak (Tyrion)... I think. But yeah why did Oberyn have start to monaloging, it never ends well
    Lu'ciel, First Age Sorcerer-King of the Unconquered Sun avatar by linkele. many thanks to the person

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Obligatory Incredibles Reference
    Show
    I think the whole beetle speech (while super weird and weak) was basically supposed to represent the strong brutes of the world oppressing the weak (Tyrion)... I think. But yeah why did Oberyn have start to monaloging, it never ends well
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah. I... I really wanted The Mountain to die. I hate that character so much. Espescially now. Oberyn was lucky to bring him down in the first place. Ugh.

I saw the big dumb uncle Lannister guy smashing beetles as foreshadowiny. Kinda put me on end. Oberyn as the proverbial beetle...

Beetles got smashed.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm pretty sure the Mountain did die, just after Oberyn and thus Tyrion lost. Might be wrong though but he seemed dead/dying (just not headmashsed like Obeyrn).

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm pretty sure the Mountain did die, just after Oberyn and thus Tyrion lost. Might be wrong though but he seemed dead/dying (just not headmashsed like Obeyrn).
    Spoiler
    Show
    So. It looks like my favorite character is destined for death. Poo

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Spoiler: S4E88 and beyond
    Show
    a) I'm a bit of a self-spoiler and I accidently read the outcome of the Viper and the Mountain fight a month ago...but damn, seeing that happen to one of my favorite characters is the first time in the session I've actually gone full on wide-eyed 8O face. And all to The Mountain happily proclaiming how he raped his sister? Gah.

I'm so glad that:
    Spoiler: Do Not Read Unless You Know The Aftermath Of Oberyns/Mountains Duel - yes the FULL aftermath
    Show
    ...the mountain dies a painful, horrible death because Oberyns spear was poisoned. That's why the guy was so confident. There are a lot of sick ****s on the show, but The Mountain arouses a particular loathing in me. I'm very happy that Oberyn will get his revenge and The Mountain will get his just, agonising due. I can't wait to see this over-grown bag of **** suffer.

b) Now that I think about it, that little talk between Jaimie and Tyrion, the thing about that retarded guy crushing beetles...we're watching a show in which the writer just kills off favorite characters without people expecting it. It was almost a simile. (except the retard part lol)

c) I hated Sansa at the beginning of the show, but I've liked her more and more as time has gone on - most likely because she's changing. She used to be a terrible player at the Game of Thrones, but now she seems to be becoming an acolyte of deception beneath Bailish (another guy I hope dies horribly).

d) Damn...Jorah. I've actually liked this guy. His spying was a bit wanky, but after he turned his back on it, saved Daenyrs' life and gave that little speech as to why he wants to see her become the Queen of Westeros, I've liked the guy as a trusted adviser. It was painful to watch him depart Mereen like that.

e) I like Arra's character, but I'm glad her cross-country stint with The Hound has come to an end. It was getting pretty stale.

f) Next week we'll see the battle of the wall! Hopefully they'll take the experience they learned filming The Battle of Black Water and give us an awesome battle scene.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2014-06-02 at 10:06 AM.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

19. - Top - End - #49
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler: Details from the books referencing upcoming episodes
    Show

I personally enjoyed the little line dropped in Baelish's talk with Robyn about death - "People even die while squatting over their chamberpots" Next episode maybe?

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: S4E8
    Show
    Yeah seeing Sansa finally become a true player in the Game was actually pretty awesome. I was so tired of her just being really passive and not doing much other than crying. Also Arya's laugh kinda made the episode for me, so full of happiness and without the boredom or pain she usually has, its good to see that sometimes in GoT (of course now that shes shown shes kinda happy ofc something horrible is gonna happen next episode for her I think).
    Last edited by ChaosArchon; 2014-06-02 at 09:05 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Guys. Can you please use the option (spoiler=option) to mark the reason for the spoilers? Specifically, mention if you are talking about a spoiler for a particular episode (e.g. "Season 4 Episode 8", or a shorthand representation such as "Recent episode") or spoilers for future episodes (e.g. "Spoilers from books", "Future spoilers from the books").

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Mind you. I will of course label my spoilers. But spoilers started cropping up as soon as a new episode aired. Not sure what else you'd expect them to be about.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Noted.

Well except that last one. I would love to know a future spoiler from the books. Anyone have an advanced copy of Winds of Winter?

24. - Top - End - #54
    Bugbear in the Playground

Show
    "of course now that shes shown shes kinda happy ofc something horrible is gonna happen next episode for her I think"

I don't get the impression that was a happy laugh so much as a reflection of something snapping in her brain.
    Last edited by Hadrian_Emrys; 2014-06-02 at 11:20 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Toho has retroactive powers of awesome. He makes things that he hasn't done, and have already happened, better by his existence
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    If anything, the term should be What Would Toho Do?
    Of course, in all situations the answer is Be A Badass.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Show
    I just meant she showed something other than grumpy miss killerpants and loosened up a bit

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by BananaPhone View Post
    [
    Spoiler: Do Not Read Unless You Know The Aftermath Of Oberyns/Mountains Duel - yes the FULL aftermath
    Show
    ...the mountain dies a painful, horrible death because Oberyns spear was poisoned. That's why the guy was so confident. There are a lot of sick ****s on the show, but The Mountain arouses a particular loathing in me. I'm very happy that Oberyn will get his revenge and The Mountain will get his just, agonising due. I can't wait to see this over-grown bag of **** suffer.
    Spoiler: Respons to BP's Book Spoilers
    Show
    Looks to me as if you don't know the full aftermath yet...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    I saw that laugh as Arya indulging in a little bit of black humor at the absurdity of it all. Yet another relative of hers she thought she would be able to find sanctuary with is dead. After the Red Wedding and her brother and mother getting slaughtered right before her, minutes away from thinking she was reaching safety, coming all the way to the Vale and hearing "oh yeah sorry your aunt died three days ago" is pretty hilarious in comparison. She's also having a genuine laugh at the Hound's expense as well. After all he's done and all he's been through to bring his hostage in, the poor bastard won't be getting his ransom. Given how much she hates him, of course she's going to find a little humor in his misfortune.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

28. - Top - End - #58

PirateGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Orderic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swaoeaeieu
    Or maybe, i dont know... adoption?
    Don't be ridiculous. We need those orphans...
    If at any point you notice mistakes in my English, please let me know, I am always looking to improve.

29. - Top - End - #59

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Noted.

Well except that last one. I would love to know a future spoiler from the books. Anyone have an advanced copy of Winds of Winter?
    Spoiler: Winds of Winter Spoiler, chapter in question posted on GRRM's website
    Show
    Arya gets her revenge on one of her names in this book in an incredibly creepy manner.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Swaoeaeieu View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Had the same thoughts myself while watching. Sadly, my friends didn't find it amusing when I shouted "Simba!" at the end of the scene...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.