New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 63 FirstFirst ... 318192021222324252627282930313233343536373853 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A for Pathfinder 3: Find With a Vengeance

A393: No. Even if a one-handed weapon can be finessed (e.g. a Whip), it will not become a light weapon; it will just be a one-handed weapon that can be finessed.

Something has to say it is treated as light specifically. Which weapon are you looking at?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #812
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    A393: No. Even if a one-handed weapon can be finessed (e.g. a Whip), it will not become a light weapon; it will just be a one-handed weapon that can be finessed.

Something has to say it is treated as light specifically. Which weapon are you looking at?
    well i was thinking about taking advantage of the warpriest sacred weapon ability and using a cutlass, rapier, or scimitar, but if i can't i might as well use the Kukri. since the damage of the normal weapon has no effect on the build and the crit range is what I'm looking for.
    Last edited by Drackstin; 2014-10-09 at 12:51 PM.

3. - Top - End - #813
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q390 clarification
    so I totally thought I'd seen a Stance or maneuver somewhere that gave you a free non shield-bash attack every time you shield bashed... Can't seem to find it now though. Sorry!

Guess I was just hallucinating OP things =<

4. - Top - End - #814
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

confused Re: Simple Q&A for Pathfinder 3: Find With a Vengeance

Q394: Aspect of the Bear (second-level Druid spell, APG) gives a +2 enhancement bonus to CMB rolls. Does this stack with other enhancement bonuses that indirectly affect CMB rolls, like Bull's Strength, magic items that give a strength enhancement bonus, etc? If it does stack with those, what doesn't it stack with? Only effects that specifically give an enhancement bonus to CMB rolls?
    Last edited by Raphite1; 2014-10-10 at 11:12 AM.

5. - Top - End - #815

A394: Yes, this will stack with Bull's Strength. Though they are both enhancement bonuses, they apply to different things (one to Strength, which affects CMB indirectly, and one to CMB directly.) This is no different than Bull's Strength stacking with Greater Magic Weapon when you swing your sword.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

6. - Top - End - #816
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Default Simple Q&A for Pathfinder 3: Find With a Vengeance

Q394: How much damage will i do if bring an anvil, and drop it on the head on the enemy that haven fallen in my 4th level summoner pit (create pit spell) ?

7. - Top - End - #817

A394: Assuming your CL is 4, your pit is 20 ft. deep. Anvils are typically Small, so the base damage is 2d6. 20 ft. is less than 30ft., so your anvil will deal half the listed base damage (i.e. 1d6.) You will require a ranged touch attack to hit them, and the target has a reflex save (DC 15) for half again. The range increment is 20ft., so you will suffer no range penalties on the attack.

So to sum up the possibilities:

If you miss = 0 damage.
    If you hit but they make their save = half of 1d6.
    If you hit and they fail their save = 1d6.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

8. - Top - End - #818
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Q395 Will the spell (or SLA) "detect magic" detect if someone has been cursed using the spell "bestow curse" or is it only detected with the spell "detect curse"?

The intention is to cast a curse on my teammates while they're sleeping which gives them a penalty to rolls only when taking hostile actions against me. The effects of the curse won't be active unless they take action against me so i want to know in what ways they can realise they are cursed.

9. - Top - End - #819

A395: Yes, bestow curse is duration permanent and so can be detected with detect magic like any other active spell.

Incidentally, "detect curse" is 3rd-party and I'm not really sure what they were going for there.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

10. - Top - End - #820
    Ettin in the Playground

Q396

A ranger with the Thrown Weapon combat style from the ACG can take False Opening at 6th level without having to meet its prerequisites. If the user did not have a way of preventing opportune attacks, how would the feat work? Would it provoke an extra AoO beyond the normal one, or simply provide extra benefits when the AoO is provoked normally? Or would it simply not function?

11. - Top - End - #821

A396: As written it would indeed provoke an extra AoO if you tried to use it. My suggestion is that, even with being able to ignore the prereqs, you take Close Quarters Thrower (available for free at the same level) first.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

12. - Top - End - #822
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q397
    Is a construct immune to the confused effect of a varient negative energy channel (madness harm)?
    The effect is not labeled mind affecting compulsion.

13. - Top - End - #823

A397: They are immune, and there are actually two reasons for this.

1) Constructs are neither living creatures (no Con score), nor are they undead. Thus, they are immune to all effects of regular channel energy, both positive and negative. This means that, per UM, this clause kicks in - "Creatures that would normally ignore the effect of a particular channel (such as undead with respect to a positive energy channel used to heal) ignore the variant effect of that channel."

2) A subtle distinction from the print version of Ultimate Magic that did not make it to the PFSRD is that the word "confused" in this ability is in italics. This typography typically means "this functions as the spell" - much like the word "contagion" in the Disease variant channel. Thus, the Madness-Harm channel effect does in fact derive from the confusion spell, including being a mind-affecting compulsion, and constructs would be immune.

Therefore constructs are not affected by this channel for the two reasons listed above.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

14. - Top - End - #824
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    A397:.... "Creatures that would normally ignore the effect of a particular channel (such as undead with respect to a positive energy channel used to heal) ignore the variant effect of that channel."
    Thanks for confirmation, psyren, it was exactly that part that i didn't get.

15. - Top - End - #825

Note however that the Forge channel does affect certain constructs. This is most likely a case of specific trumping general.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

16. - Top - End - #826
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q398

Does Precise Strike work with a lance used in one hand while mounted?
    Previous avatar by Sgt. Pepper.

Previous avatar by Akrim.elf.

Current avatar by Cdr.Fallout

Old Desert Sayings, my RPG blog (mostly Pathfinder homebrew).

Responding to stress with rudeness is not the same as responding to stress with genocide.

17. - Top - End - #827

A398: (I assume you are referring to the Duelist ability and not the teamwork feat.)

No, this will not work. While a Lance can indeed be wielded in one hand while mounted, it does not actually become a "one-handed weapon." Rather, it is still a two-handed weapon (as shown by the weapons table), that merely works differently in certain circumstances. This is identical to the problems plaguing Slashing Grace.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

18. - Top - End - #828

Summon Nature's Ally has a listed casting time of "1 round." I have usually interpreted this to mean that if someone casts the spell, they can't take any other actions during that round, but the creatures arrive and act during the same round as the spell is cast. This is also how I've seen most other DMs handle it.

Until a couple of weeks ago. My druid cast Summon Nature's Ally, and the DM just said "OK." When I reached the end of my turn and had finished with my animal companion, I attempted to put the summoned creature on the grid and the DM stopped me, since "It's a full-round action to cast the spell, so the animal will not show up until your next turn."

Which version is correct?
    Last edited by Dire Moose; 2014-10-13 at 11:28 PM.
    LGBTitp

19. - Top - End - #829

A399: Your DM is correct. "One round" and "1 full-round action" are not quite the same thing. That is, during your turn they are similar, but the former (which is how summons and a few other spells like Sleep are cast), basically means you keep chanting and waving your arms the entire time even after your turn ends and everyone else is acting, right up until the moment your next turn rolls around. This means that summoning spells make you particularly vulnerable, so your animal companion and party should be protecting you.

When you begin a spell that takes 1 round or longer to cast, you must continue the concentration from the current round to just before your turn in the next round (at least). If you lose concentration before the casting is complete, you lose the spell.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

20. - Top - End - #830
    Titan in the Playground

Q400 What happens if taking favored class bonuses gives you a feature before you would otherwise have it? For instance, a gnome barbarian can take the favored class bonus and get a whole modifier to trap sense at 2nd level, even though barbarians don't get trap sense until 3rd level.

21. - Top - End - #831

A400: Because it is referencing a specific ability (i.e. "Trap Sense") rather than the thing that ability modifies (e.g. "reflex save to avoid traps"), you'll need the ability in question before the favored class bonus does anything. Similarly, the Gnome Ranger FCB adds DR to their animal companion before they have one - that will kick in once there is a companion to put it on. Also similarly, if you replace that class feature with an archetype entirely, that bonus will do nothing. (It will not, for instance, give you a lesser form of Trap Sense on an archetype that has replaced Trap Sense.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

22. - Top - End - #832
    Titan in the Playground

C400 Do you have a faq/srd citation on that? I can't find anything anywhere.

23. - Top - End - #833

MindFlayer

Q 401

What action does it take to activate the Witch hexes Flight and Prehensile Hair? The main rules for hexes state that "unless otherwise noted" hexes take a standard action to activate.

For Flight, Feather Fall is at-will and Levitate is "cast" so I assume that's the normal standard action cast time. However it merely says that "she can fly, as per the spell, for a number of minutes per day equal to her level." This phrasing implies to me that she has an always on capability of flight but only enough "fuel" to fly for minutes/level, because it doesn't say she "can use fly" or "cast fly", it simply says she can fly. Am I reading this too liberally?

For Prehensile Hair, the text says that "the witch can instantly cause her hair ..." (emphasis added). This would seem to me to even more directly contravene the normal standard action activation, as a standard action is certainly not instant. Otherwise same as flying; the ability is always on but only enough fuel for minutes per level.

I suppose the general question that would aid in future, similar conflicts would be: how explicit must it be "otherwise noted" that a normally standard action does not take a standard action?

24. - Top - End - #834

A401: "Flight" is easy - "as the spell" is the "otherwise noted," therefore you use the casting time of the spells in question. (i.e. immediate for feather fall, standard for the other two.)

The Prehensile Hair is more ambiguous. Even though it says "instantly" - that isn't defined anywhere as an action speed, therefore it defaults to a standard to "turn on" your hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    C400 Do you have a faq/srd citation on that? I can't find anything anywhere.
    You mean a citation that says "you don't get a class feature until your class says you get it?" I'm not sure what you'd want me to point to for that; it should be self-evident.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

25. - Top - End - #835
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Q402

The Slayer (ACG) gets "Slayer Talents" every other level, which are chosen from a provided list. One of the items in the list is the ability to gain combat-style feats like a ranger. Here it is:

Ranger Combat Style (Ex): The slayer selects a ranger combat style (such as archery or two-weapon combat) and gains a combat feat from the first feat list of that style. He can choose feats from his selected combat style, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites. At 6th level, he may select this talent again and add the 6th-level ranger combat feats from his chosen style to the list. At 10th level, he may select this talent again and add the 10th-level ranger combat feats from his chosen style to the list.

Q402(a): If you take this talent for the first time at level 4 (for example), can you take it for the second time only at level 6, and for the third time only at level 10? Or could you take it for the second time at level 8 (for example), and choose from the 6th-level ranger combat feats of the chosen style?

Q402(b): Can you take this talent more than three times?

Q402(c): Can you take this talent for the first time at level 8, and choose from the 6th-level ranger combat feats?
    Last edited by Raphite1; 2014-10-14 at 02:39 PM.

26. - Top - End - #836
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Q403: Can a Druid's animal companion wear metal barding?

Animal companions have feats giving access to heavy armor, which is always metal except for a couple exceptions with special materials. Also, Druids don't seem to have a categorical objection to metal gear, since they come with proficiency in some metal weapons.

27. - Top - End - #837
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q404 (question not found!)
    Would a half Orc qualify for Orc only feats, traits, or classes (specifically scarred witch doctor?)

Orc-blood: half orcs count as both human and Orc for any effect related to race.
    Also

q405

How does the blood of the dragons ability from the dragon disciple class interact with the blood eager class (assuming the draconic bloodline was taken)
    Last edited by Rickshaw; 2014-10-14 at 07:28 PM.

28. - Top - End - #838

A402(a) / A402(c): It's not 100% clear, but I would say - you get the ability to take the talent a second time at 6 and a third time at 10, but if you wait a bit (say until 8 and 12 respectively), that shouldn't penalize you. In other words, there is no "one-time" window at 6th level during which you must take this talent a second time or forever be locked out of it, nor must you have taken it for the first time prior to 6 or be locked out of the second tier feats. And even if there were, simply take something else and then retrain your choices so as to make the timing "legal."

A402(b): This one is clear however - you can only take that talent 3 times at most.

A403: As written, the restriction does not apply to them, and furthermore the FAQ states that animal companions can wear barding, so this should be fine.

A404: Yes.

A405: Right now that isn't clear, though apparently they are beginning to FAQ ACG so this may end up on the docket. Until then, your DM has to decide, but I would say that the Draconic Bloodline should be advanced whether you are a sorcerer or bloodrager. If you're in PFS though... you're out of luck until the devs weigh in.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2014-10-14 at 09:00 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

29. - Top - End - #839
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q406:

This one is about the PoW, hopefully you guys can help me.

The prestige class Battle Templar gains the following ability at level 1

Ordained Knight (Ex)

A battle templar fulfills a role special to his religion, and as such, may act both as courageous warriors and as pious priest. He receives a circumstance bonus on Diplomacy checks equal to his class level when dealing with members of his faith. If the character possessed a unique divine ability from a previous class (the class features channel energy, a cleric's domains, a paladin's lay on hands, an inquisitor's bane or inquisitions, or an oracle's curse), he may add his levels in battle templar to that class to determine their effectiveness. Additionally, should the battle templar possess the aegis class feature (see warder class), the battle templar may add his class level to his warder level to determine the bonus of his aegis class feature.

Please check the part in bold, consider I'm a Paladin 8 Warlord 2, so I have two abilities mentioned there, Lay on Hands and Channel positive energy, would this apply to both?

30. - Top - End - #840
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Q 407

How would a metamagic rager's meta-rage ability interact with metamagic rods?

As far as I can tell, when a metamagic rager burns rounds of rage to apply a metamagic feat to one of their spells, it doesn't actually increase the level of the spell. Could said rager then also apply a (lesser) metamagic rod to that spell?