New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 63 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A for Pathfinder 3: Find With a Vengeance

A63 The way I read this, based purely on the way it is written: the freedom of movement character is auto-grappled since it doesn't require a roll, but the character auto-escapes on his turn. What this means practically is you have the rest of that turn to wail on the character at a -4 dex.
    May I borrow some bat guano? It's for a spell...

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q75: Can a magus use additional spells when executing spell combat with cleave?
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by torrasque666 View Post
    Q75: Can a magus use additional spells when executing spell combat with cleave?
    A75 No. Cleave is a specific (standard) action whereas Spell Combat is a different specific (full-round) action, so you cannot combine the two.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

4. - Top - End - #154

Imp

Q 76

What ways exist in pathfinder to cast personal range spells on other player characters?

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

A76
    Your best bet is a Ring of Spellstoring or similar spell storing items. It can also be done with a scroll, wand or staff, but then the other person needs to cast spells or have UMD and it costs gold per casting.

A couple of more restricted ones:
    There is Improved Share Spells to cast personal spells on your animal companion or familiar.
    Egoists can manifest any personal psychometabolism power on others with Shared Effect.
    And I even found a third party homebrew metamagic feat that allows it, named Share Personal Spell.
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2014-06-14 at 01:28 AM.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Q77 Is there some low-level feat, class feature, or other way to increase my speed while wearing heavy armor?

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q78: When a Magus uses spell combat, is it possible to hold a touch spell until the end of the full attack and then cast it?
    Basically I'm trying to figure out when using something such as a Toppling Force Punch with spell combat. If used before hand, all the attacks miss. if used on the first one, its the only one that hits. If its used afterwards then I can get all attacks in and THEN get the spell off, making a much better use of my actions. Otherwise I'll be forced to use Forceful Strike instead since its a swift action and by my understanding a swift can be used in the middle of a full attack. And then I don't take the -2 on everything.
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

A78: Yes, you can first do all your iterative attacks, then cast Force Punch, and then make the attack roll for that. Alternatively, you can cast Force Punch first, then five-foot-step, then make the attack roll for that, and if it misses you can reuse the force punch on your first iterative attack (and on the second, if it misses, and so forth).

Note that having an extra attack at the price of -2 to all your attacks is usually a good deal (e.g. three attacks at +12 are better than two attacks at +14).

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

A77
    Well there aren't a lot of ways to specifically deal with heavy armor penalties, there are a couple ways to gain bonus speed, let's table a couple I found:

Level Source Class Name Ability Movement Details
    1st Class Cleric, Inquisitor, Paladin Domain (Travel) 10ft movement
    1st Class Oracle Mystery (Flame; Cinder Dance) 10ft movement
    1st Class Oracle Mystery (Metal; Dance of the Blade) 10ft movement
    1st Spell Alchemist, Bard, Inquisitor, Magus, Sorcerer/Wizard, Summoner Expeditious Retreat 30ft enchantment movement; 1min/lvl
    1st Spell Druid, Cleric, Travel Domain Longstrider 10ft enchantment movement; 1 hour/lvl
    3th Spell Cleric, Inquisitor, Magus, Paladin, Ranger Effortless Armor Ignores armor speed penalties; 1min/lvl
    4th Class+Item Fighter Armor Training + Sash of the War Champion Ignores heavy armor speed penalties
    4th Item Any Boots of Striding and Springing 10ft enchantment movement

(And there there are a couple more for Medium, Oracle Metal Armor Mastery, Barbarian Fast Movement, Fighter Armor Training)
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2014-06-15 at 05:05 AM.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yanisa View Post
    A77
    Well there aren't a not of ways to specifically deal with heavy armor penalties, there are a couple ways to gain bonus speed, let's table a couple I found:
    Wow, very detailed answer. Thanks!

11. - Top - End - #161
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q79: What languages, exactly, does Linguistics allow you to decipher if you are untrained? How many can you decipher if you are trained?
    You can decipher writing in an unfamiliar language or a message written in an incomplete or archaic form. The base DC is 20 for the simplest messages, 25 for standard texts, and 30 or higher for intricate, exotic, or very old writing.

You must be trained to use this skill, but you can always attempt to read archaic and strange forms of your own racial bonus languages. In addition, you can also always attempt to detect a forgery. (emphasis mine)
    Assume the character in question is an untrained elf with 13 intelligence, who takes Draconic as his extra language at first level.
    Elves begin play speaking Common and Elven. Elves with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Celestial, Draconic, Gnoll, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, and Sylvan. See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.
    Q 79.1: Which can he decipher?
    • A - Obscure forms of Elven and Common only.
    • B - Obscure forms of Elven, Common, and Draconic.
    • C - Obscure forms of Elven, Common, Draconic, Celestial, Gnoll, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, and Sylvan.
    • D - None of the above, since he is untrained.

Q 79.2: Assume that at 2nd level, he puts a rank in linguistics to pick up Dwarven. What languages can he decipher then?
    • A - as above
    • B - as above
    • C - as above
    • D - as above
    • E - as A, but including Dwarven
    • F - as B, but including Dwarven
    • G - as C, but including Dwarven
    • H - Obscure forms of Dwarven only.
    Last edited by gr8artist; 2014-06-16 at 03:09 PM.
    My Homebrew and Extended Signature
    Current avatar: Charza Sahlaren, by gr8artist

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

A79
    The best source that mentions racial languages is the Race Builder, in the chapter Language Quality.
    There are three options. In cases where the language trait instructs you to choose a racial language, that language is either the race's racial language (if any; feel free to create a new language for the race if you wish), Draconic (if it is a humanoid with the reptilian subtype), or, if the race is of the outsider (native) type, one of the planar languages (Abyssal, Aquan, Auran, Celestial, Ignan, Infernal, or Terran) of the corresponding plane. (Creatures tied to Abaddon can take either Abyssal or Infernal as a racial language.)
    From that we learn that there are indeed three "groups of languages" that counts as a racial languages, but the word bonus is missing here.

I found that in the Intelligence section.
    You apply your character's Intelligence modifier to:

The number of bonus languages your character knows at the start of the game. These are in addition to any starting racial languages and Common. If you have a penalty, you can still read and speak your racial languages unless your Intelligence is lower than 3.
    But that Bonus doesn't mention Racial... so by RAW there is no such thing as a Racial Bonus Language... (You could make the argument that bonus is a synonym of additional, in that case you only get those additional languages for linguistics, but that seems like a stupid rule leading to Elves not being to able to decipher Elven but they can decipher Gnoll.)

The easy RAI solution is to add a single word so we get "Racial and Bonus Languages".

A79.1
    Then the answer here would be:
    E: Common, Elven and any Language he gained from having a positive intelligence modifiers in the list of Draconic, Celestial, Gnoll, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, and Sylvan.

There is a small disguising between B/C and E for two reasons. First off you need to be able speak and write the language and secondly if you gain more languages from increasing your intelligence these also would become available for a untrained linguistic checks (Unless you pick a language outside this list, like Dwarven in this example).

Do note this is all based on my early RAI and is not really clearly stated in the RAW. Still I feel this is logical enough to call common sense.

A79.2
    I: Any language, he put a point in linguistics.
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2014-06-16 at 04:47 PM.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Q80

Do you need the profession sailor skill to sail a Swan Boat feather token through rough waters? Or does the boats 60 foot speed imply that the boat sails itself where the characters WANT it to go?

I am credible! Proof below!

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    I came up with a line of reasoning and resulting numbers and they turned out to be the same as JoeYounger's.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A80 As far as I know, the boat doesn't have any self-propulsion capabilities, but the rules for the item were made before rules for boats were. If you wanna treat it like a normal boat, I'd suggest using the stats for a keelboat. If your group can't be arsed with boat rules, then just assume it's got swan legs that magically propel it at 60 ft. Regardless, I'd still ask my players to make a Profession (sailor) check in difficult conditions.

Q81 Is there a feat or trait that lets you add your Strength to attack rolls with thrown weapons? I know there's a belt of mighty hurling, but I'm specifically looking for a feat or trait. I can't seem to find one, but I recall there being one. Maybe it was in 3.5 or something...

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

A81 Not in the PF core source books I'm afraid. You might have to look for 3rd party or 3.5 conversions.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A81+ Indeed, it's Brutal Throw from Complete Adventurer (3.5). Good thing I'm the GM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Q82 The latest version of the Advanced Class Guide playtest doesn't allow multiclassing between e.g. a fighter and a brawler (because the brawler is supposed to be a fighter/monk). However, I've heard that they've removed this restriction (or at least, publically stated that they will remove it for the final print). Can someone confirm this please?

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

A82
    This blog post, its hidden in the end.
    In the playtest for the Advanced Class Guide, the new classes were called hybrid classes, since each is a mix of two parent classes. In the playtest, you could not take levels in either of the parent classes if you had levels in the hybrid class. In the final version, we removed this restriction.

There are more announced changes there, some in the comments, this post collect them nicely.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

19. - Top - End - #169

Griffon

Q83

How exactly is the cutoff point for when an immediate action can be used determined? For instance, if you have an ability to let you reroll a save as an immediate action, but the failed save would have left you dead/helpless/etc., can you still use that ability to reroll?

What about damage? If you have an ability that lets you avoid damage as an immediate action, but you take a hit that would leave you below 0 hp, can you use it after?

Assuming the ability itself doesn't specify, how is the cutoff point determined?

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

Q84
    A wizard summons a Movanic deva with Summon Monster VII (added by Summon Good Monster) and orders it to use its Antimagic Field SLA. What happens?

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

A83
    There is no real cut off points. An immediate action can be taken at any time. Do remember that some status effects, like paralyzed and stun, state you cannot take actions, so that would include immediate actions. Assumably the same goes for Unconscious and Dead, although silly enough that is not stated by the RAW.

On a side note many DMs retroactively change the outcome of combat when you forgot a bonus or a penalty, to the point it has become somewhat of a trope in DnD, and is joked about all around the internet, even the order of the stick has a comic about it. (Or this one, albeit more subtle.) Similarly I personally have had and seen many DMs that allow immediate actions to prevent stun, paralyze or dead, even after the fatal roll. But that is DM depended, but seems to be commonly allowed.

A84
    The game crashes due an infinite loop. (Summoned Movanic Deva cast Anti-Magic Field, SMD is winked out, SMD appears on homeplane with AMF, the AMF is gone on the material plane thus the suppressing effect is gone, SMD reappears and so does the AMF, SMD is winked out again, etc.)

The easier way to handle this is to threat the creature as if it is winked out for the duration of the anti-magic field.

There is also an argument that states that the AMF disappears when the creature is returned back to its home plane, based on the part I bolded in the following paragraph about summoning spells.
    Summoning: a summoning spell instantly brings a creature or object to a place you designate. When the spell ends or is dispelled, a summoned creature is instantly sent back to where it came from, but a summoned object is not sent back unless the spell description specifically indicates this. A summoned creature also goes away if it is killed or if its hit points drop to 0 or lower, but it is not really dead. It takes 24 hours for the creature to reform, during which time it can't be summoned again.

When the spell that summoned a creature ends and the creature disappears, all the spells it has cast expire. A summoned creature cannot use any innate summoning abilities it may have.
    Although the spell did not end, it did got suppressed, and thus the AMF should have ended as if the Summon Monster spell ended. (Although personally I find it questionable because again the Summon Monster spell did not end.)

In any case it is a DM call which of the arguments is the most RAW, in both cases it is a stupid move.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

22. - Top - End - #172

Lizardfolk

Q85

Sorry, but I am having trouble understanding the magic creation cost rules. If I want an item that can cast a 4th level sorcerer spell once per day, how much would that cost? I am assuming it would be spell-completion which is fine as we have a sorcerer. Also since it is a level 4 spell, I figure it would be cast as if from a level 7 caster. Thanks.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

A85
    Using Spell Completion is typical of scrolls and caries with it varies "penalties" of normal spellcasting and more importantly it is single use only, not once per day. Magic items that function x times per day are most often Command Words. (Also see the chapter here)

As for calculating the costs, we have the table here.
    The two important parts are:
    *Command word -> Spell level x caster level x 1,800 gp
    *Charges per day -> Divide by (5 divided by charges per day)
    The other thing of note is the caster level is the minimum caster level required to cast the spell (often based on Cleric/Druid/Wizard), and is not related to the caster level you see in the item description.

So for a fourth level spell we get: 4 (Spell level) x 7 (Caster Level) x 1,800 (Base Price) divided by 5 (5 divided by 1 charge per day) = 10,080 GP
    The Cape of the Mountebank is a nice example of a item based on a 4th level spell priced by the guidelines.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

24. - Top - End - #174

Griffon

Q86

Does bless weapon work with abundant ammunition?

Q87

Is there a specific definition for wielding? This concerns:
    a) Does a caster have to be holding a metamagic rod in a hand to use it?
    b) Does a character wearing armor with spikes count as wielding a melee weapon for feats like sword and pistol?

Q88

While a flying opponent can't be tripped, what happens if they are given the prone condition in another manner? For instance, with the pistolero's twin shot knockdown?
    Last edited by jaydubs; 2014-06-21 at 01:18 AM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

A86
    Abundant Ammunition only works on nonmagical ammunition, so it does not work on blessed ammunition.

A87
    The most harsh answer I could find is that to wield a weapon, you must use a successful attack with it within a round. That logic stems from the Defending Weapon Property FAQ entry. But it is not exactly RAW for the purpose of defining the word wield in all cases though. For those other cases we are stuck the dictionary meaning "to hold and use (a weapon or tool)".

A87A
    Yes, generally rods have to be held (wielded) to be used. Metamagic rods make no exception within their description, thus must be wielded.

A87B
    Like I brought up earlier, this issue can be similarly dealt with as the Defending Weapon Property. In order the gain the benefits of the Sword and Gun feat you must at least make an attack roll with both the melee weapon and the ranged weapon. Because you can make attacks with the Spiked Armor, you must be wielding it.

Another argument is that Armor Spikes call out they can be used as an off-hand weapon, so they must be able to be used with Two-Weapon Fighting. And TWF calls out you are wielding the weapons, thus you are wielding Armor Spikes.

Both answers are backwards logic, but still supported by RAW.

A88
    It is a common issue with no answer, so it's up to your DM.

Most people treat it as if the flying creature just fell, and he can recover with a DC10 fly check on its turn to prevent actual crashing down. (Because movement is only made in your own turn, rules are weird like that.)

___

Old PF Initiative Build

26. - Top - End - #176

Imp

Q 89

Create Treasure Map

It shows you the location of treasure, sure, but what about the map it creates? Shouldn't it fill the map (on the scale chosen for the map) with all the map-relevant information (woods, lakes, even points of interest like cities) according to the knowledge of the creature, and then place the "X" for treasure in that map?
    Last edited by kkplx; 2014-06-21 at 09:41 AM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Q90
    Is there anything that prevents one from using the feat Roll With It against attacks of opportunity provoked by earlier use of said feat?

28. - Top - End - #178
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kkplx View Post
    Q 89

Create Treasure Map

It shows you the location of treasure, sure, but what about the map it creates? Shouldn't it fill the map (on the scale chosen for the map) with all the map-relevant information (woods, lakes, even points of interest like cities) according to the knowledge of the creature, and then place the "X" for treasure in that map?
    A89:
    The following text from the spell seems to imply that it indeed does so. Just not necessarily as an X for treasure.
    "You must choose the scale of the map when creating it, opting between nearby (e.g., one or two dungeon levels), local (e.g., a valley or community), or broad (e.g., a country or larger). The map reveals the locations of what the creature deemed most valuable within its area. Depending on the creature, the map might reveal a source of tasty food, suitable mates, or even your own treasure vault."
    That seems to be listing points of interest from which one could derive a location. At least, that's how I read that.
    It's giving the surroundings and marks locations of valuable things. If the creature values treasure (IE-Big chests full of money and magical awesomeness), then that is something that will be on the map. If the creature does not value such things, it won't be on the map. A dead farmer might not care much about the small coin purse of coppers and silvers he keeps under the floorboards of his house, but the location of his prize milking cow or the grainery full of grain might be on such a map.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

A89 Sidenote
    From my own experience many treasure maps have a vague outline of the area and then a couple of cryptic landmarks. Things like: 25 paces from the crooked tree, turn west and walk 50 paces past the broken rock. And indeed if you find or hide something without making a map yourself, then all you have to go by are the landmarks around the treasure. I also feel that the spell shouldn't make a normal map you could use outside treasure hunting, because that is not really the intend of the spell.

But this all opinion rather then rules. As stands in the books the map is as detailed as the DM allows it to be. (Bonus points if the dead dude has Knowledge: Geography)

A90
    The feat itself doesn't provoke attack of opportunities but repeats the default rule that movement out of threatened squares provoke. The normally easiest way to deal with those is acrobatics... but its unclear if you can use acrobatics with this movement due the half speed penalties. I say you could, but always take the +10 to the DC for moving full speed.

And there must be other ways to avoid attack of opportunities while moving, but I cant find them.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yanisa View Post
    A89 Sidenote
    A90
    The feat itself doesn't provoke attack of opportunities but repeats the default rule that movement out of threatened squares provoke. The normally easiest way to deal with those is acrobatics... but its unclear if you can use acrobatics with this movement due the half speed penalties. I say you could, but always take the +10 to the DC for moving full speed.

And there must be other ways to avoid attack of opportunities while moving, but I cant find them.
    I was specifically referring to the goblin-only feat. 'speed' is determined by damage that would have been taken and does not actually affect the roll. My question regarded whether it would be possible to bounce more than once in a turn.