New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Things You Never Noticed IV: There's A Comic in the Sidebar?

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherMirtillo View Post
    I had to google that (okay, bing that) to know what you meant. Apparently, it is a secret to everybody.
    It was from one of the books, which was why I didn't notice it at first, because when I first read that strip, I didn't have NCftPB.

But there was another bonus! When I read the comic you marked, I saw panel four, where one of the attackers fires a crossbow, but the arrow goes wide. Two more comics into the future, it becomes apparent that there was a very good reason why he missed.
    Oh, that's a good one. Definitely better than mine.

Edit: Or not. Guess the spy was very dedicated to his deception.
    Last edited by Jaxzan Proditor; 2014-06-15 at 03:25 PM.

Peelee’s Lotsey

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

But there was another bonus! When I read the comic you marked, I saw panel four, where one of the attackers fires a crossbow, but the arrow goes wide. Two more comics into the future, it becomes apparent that there was a very good reason why he missed.
    Actually -- and I only just noticed this for the first time -- that arrow did find its mark. It's sticking out of the bluecloak's head in the fifth panel.

He also shoots another hobgoblin in the eye in the sixth panel. That one I knew about.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

I had to google that (okay, bing that) to know what you meant. Apparently, it is a secret to everybody.
    Just out of curiosity - #NotTooBigToBoycott, or do you just genuinely like Bing?
    Last edited by DaggerPen; 2014-06-15 at 03:33 PM.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

4. - Top - End - #124
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ManicOppressive View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, the Azure City wizard here: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0340.html

is either using a modified version of Teleport or is level 18. Teleport only targets one extra person per three caster levels, and he took six people with him in one go.
    It's a detail I really like, because it adds to the absurdity of how the PCs relate with him and his getting drunk. No matter that he's got ridiculous powers, the poor guy was born an NPC!
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Or not. Guess the spy was very dedicated to his deception.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    Actually -- and I only just noticed this for the first time -- that arrow did find its mark. It's sticking out of the bluecloak's head in the fifth panel.

He also shoots another hobgoblin in the eye in the sixth panel. That one I knew about.
    Oh. Well, drat -- my bad. I better not go picking fights with Dirty Harry anytime soon, because I seem to have ADD -- Ammo Distraction Deficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    Just out of curiosity - #NotTooBigToBoycott, or do you just genuinely like Bing?
    Neither. More like "Too Lazy To What Now?" -- I use Firefox (with its default Google) for more business-related email and research, but out of long-standing habit, I use Explorer (with its default bing) for chatrooms and whatnot. Silly, I'm sure, but there you have it.
    I have a DeviantArt page! My OotS posts are here, and the rest of my posts are here.

There are, like, tons of possibilities. We just have to pick one and make it happen. [...]
    Elan, I don't think a bunch of... of dreams and good feelings are going to help us defeat an ultra-powerful sorcerer lich.
    Sure they are! It's called "morale," Roy -- Or sometimes? "Hope."

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Neither. More like "Too Lazy To What Now?" -- I use Firefox (with its default Google) for more business-related email and research, but out of long-standing habit, I use Explorer (with its default bing) for chatrooms and whatnot. Silly, I'm sure, but there you have it.
    Aha! Thanks for indulging my curiosity.

Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

As a result of this thread, I've noticed that Rich seems to have changed the way he draws visors in certain types of full-face helmets. In Tarquin's original appearance, his visor has basically straight lines like a T-shape, a style that continues at least up until the random adventurer in SOD mentioned in that thread. But post-WXP, characters with that helmet style, such as the evil plane-shifting fighter and Yor, have more angled visors closer to a Y-shape. Even when we see Tarquin's original helmet again in a flashback, its visor has changed to match.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    As a result of this thread, I've noticed that Rich seems to have changed the way he draws visors in certain types of full-face helmets. In Tarquin's original appearance, his visor has basically straight lines like a T-shape, a style that continues at least up until the random adventurer in SOD mentioned in that thread. But post-WXP, characters with that helmet style, such as the evil plane-shifting fighter and Yor, have more angled visors closer to a Y-shape. Even when we see Tarquin's original helmet again in a flashback, its visor has changed to match.
    That's interesting. I guess it's another art upgrade that occured over time. I think the new helmets do look better.

Peelee’s Lotsey

9. - Top - End - #129
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    "Mobs" is MMO slang for monsters (condensed from Mobile Objects, though how that came to mean monsters is beyond me).
    The ancestors of modern MMOs were, from a programming perspective, object-based. Things like furniture or treasure were stationary objects. Things like NPCs or monsters were mobile objects.
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rodneyAnonymous View Post
    The ancestors of modern MMOs were, from a programming perspective, object-based. Things like furniture or treasure were stationary objects. Things like NPCs or monsters were mobile objects.
    The things you learn...
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

11. - Top - End - #131
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

In #66, Elan says:
    It was that or a litter of puppies. But I doubt a rampaging barbarian would have stopped for that!

Well, knowing Thog, he would have stopped for that.

And Elan's revelation about his brother 'What if we were both raised by the different parent? Would I be evil and he be good?' is foreshadowed in strip 68 by the angel.
    Last edited by strijder20; 2014-06-19 at 01:21 AM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by strijder20 View Post
    And Elan's revelation about his brother 'What if we were both raised by the different parent? Would I be evil and he be good?' is foreshadowed in strip 68 by the angel.
    I think that Elan's thoughts about how Nale would have turned out in his place where not foreshadowed in that strip, but rather they where first shown there, although it wasn't until later that he met Tarquin and found our more about Nale's childhood. I think that Elan is the kind of person who would ask that question from the beginning, not after several engagements and finding out a lot about him.

Peelee’s Lotsey

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

This one may be a bit borderline, but it's not really worth a thread of its own and I wanted to share -

I was reading back over the most recent book and considering that for a bunch of incarnations of evil, the IFCC are fairly generous bosses - holiday bonuses, finder's fees, etc., etc. This is presumably largely for humor purposes, but then I realized that there's an actual in-story explanation too: the IFCC are a small, experimental group trying to unite a laundry list of sworn enemies who've been feuding for time immemorial. They need to offer some serious perks to get employees, especially if they're from other alignment axes (such as how Sabine works under Director Lee).

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

Here's one! We've seen in comic 952 that Thor's actions only came into account once they crossed over into the Northern Lands. Well, we've actually known that there's pretty defined rules about that in Comic 453 when the Tiger god was yelling angry at Thor for his Control Weather lightning bolt in Cliffport. So there's evidence he's making sure not to do it again when looking at the two.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Here's one! We've seen in comic 952 that Thor's actions only came into account once they crossed over into the Northern Lands. Well, we've actually known that there's pretty defined rules about that in Comic 453 when the Tiger god was yelling angry at Thor for his Control Weather lightning bolt in Cliffport. So there's evidence he's making sure not to do it again when looking at the two.
    I believe Tiger was going after for Thor for trying to answer Durkon's prayer to run faster rather than the control weather specifically. The lecture probably went something like "You might bend the rules for your followers in your lands, but down here we do things by the book."
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

I believe Tiger was going after for Thor for trying to answer Durkon's prayer to run faster rather than the control weather specifically. The lecture probably went something like "You might bend the rules for your followers in your lands, but down here we do things by the book."
    Well, he also references bending "the rules one time, and they never let you live it down" which I thought was referencing Cliffport, causing him not to be able to bend the rules here, or in later comics.

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Well, he also references bending "the rules one time, and they never let you live it down" which I thought was referencing Cliffport, causing him not to be able to bend the rules here, or in later comics.
    It probably is referencing it, but to me the context Thor's words to Tiger indicated was that Tiger was chewing him out for being out of his territory, not what he does in his own space.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

It probably is referencing it, but to me the context Thor's words to Tiger indicated was that Tiger was chewing him out for being out of his territory, not what he does in his own space.
    But cliffport IS in the southern lands, isn't it?

World Building Projects:
    Magic

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, which is outside Thor's territory. He's a Northern god.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

20. - Top - End - #140
    Bugbear in the Playground

I just realized that the tower which collapsed in a mostly-intact state in the last panel of #466 may very well be the same tower that Haley crushed the hobgoblins with in #470.

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I...

Good question, I have no idea. I thought it was in the North, but I cant actually recall anyone saying anything either way.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Emperordaniel View Post
    I just realized that the tower which collapsed in a mostly-intact state in the last panel of #466 may very well be the same tower that Haley crushed the hobgoblins with in #470.
    Oh, that's a good one. Of course, it could be some other broken tower, but why not let it be the one that's already been shown?

Peelee’s Lotsey

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

I just noticed that Haley's arrow dislodged the stone that was holding the tower up.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

I...

Good question, I have no idea. I thought it was in the North, but I cant actually recall anyone saying anything either way.
    You know, it's hard to say. I mean, the jurisdiction issue would imply that it was in the South, but I got the impression that the Southern Lands were pretty ubiquitously Asian, whereas the Northern Lands seem to be a general mix of white and Black. Plus, Julia was going to school there, and Roy's family is Northern, so while it's not impossible that she's a foreign exchange student, it seems more likely that it'd be in the North?

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    You know, it's hard to say. I mean, the jurisdiction issue would imply that it was in the South, but I got the impression that the Southern Lands were pretty ubiquitously Asian, whereas the Northern Lands seem to be a general mix of white and Black. Plus, Julia was going to school there, and Roy's family is Northern, so while it's not impossible that she's a foreign exchange student, it seems more likely that it'd be in the North?
    That was my reasoning as well. Something to keep in mind, the jurisdiction issue with Thor didn't come up until he tried to do something in a distinctly southern city. That says to me that Tiger was simply referencing it as something like "You may play fast and loose with the rules in your lands, but down here were in charge, so don't even look sideways at anything that isn't an official clerical spell." type speech.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

That was my reasoning as well. Something to keep in mind, the jurisdiction issue with Thor didn't come up until he tried to do something in a distinctly southern city. That says to me that Tiger was simply referencing it as something like "You may play fast and loose with the rules in your lands, but down here were in charge, so don't even look sideways at anything that isn't an official clerical spell." type speech.
    I kind of interpreted that scene as Tiger growling at Thor for trying to directly intervene in Southern Lands, and then Thor was complaining that they reminded him specifically because he had a record of breaking the rules before; they didn't really trust Thor.

Peelee’s Lotsey

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I kind of interpreted that scene as Tiger growling at Thor for trying to directly intervene in Southern Lands, and then Thor was complaining that they reminded him specifically because he had a record of breaking the rules before; they didn't really trust Thor.
    That would imply that had, say Odin done it, they would have let him. That's not something I really got out of that scene; it seemed like a territorial dispute first and foremost.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

That would imply that had, say Odin done it, they would have let him. That's not something I really got out of that scene; it seemed like a territorial dispute first and foremost.
    They still wouldn't have let him do it, but they wouldn't have felt the need to remind him of past transgressions (probably because there are none).

Peelee’s Lotsey

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

They still wouldn't have let him do it, but they wouldn't have felt the need to remind him of past transgressions (probably because there are none).
    Well, it wasn't strictly necessary in this situation either, certainly not enough to be the main topic of the conversation. And if that were the case, don't you think that Thor's response would have directly involved not bending the rules anymore?

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Well, it wasn't strictly necessary in this situation either, certainly not enough to be the main topic of the conversation. And if that were the case, don't you think that Thor's response would have directly involved not bending the rules anymore?
    The main topic of the conversation was, of course, that Thor shouldn't be interfering in Southern Lands. However, Thor is reminded that he has a record of breaking the rules before, prompting Thor to make his comment.

Peelee’s Lotsey