New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: El Goonish Shive II - I stand by my ridiculous comic

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Exactamundo! Though I'm guessing that mr no-mark was mr no-ah.
    I'm not so sure, because he otherwise wouldn't actually know if Noah is marked or not.

Edit: Ninja'd
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2015-01-09 at 11:09 AM.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

It could be that he knows two people who have a mark and then saw Noah, who triggers his senses in a very different way by virtue of being of Uryom origin rather than actually having magic.

Of course, Ellen and Nanase would be full-on mages as well, so either one would provide the proper contrast.

Still, quite a good theory on his logic. It is pretty much the minimal data set you'd need to be able to derive any patterns from.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Ogre in the Playground

Justin doesn't know that Luke has seen Noah, so his deduction makes sense. My guess is that Luke has seen at least one unmarked magic user who was NOT Noah, and was confirmed not to have a mark. But Luke might have just assumed that the aura being so different meant it wasn't due to a mark, who knows.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Ya'know, if Luke meets Susan it may help the group come to the realization that Justin used to have a mark but was then awakened.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Titan in the Playground

Personally, I'm hoping that the Pizza Guys (Luke's group) includes Catalina and Rhoda and Dex, just for the humor of everyone knowing each other and hiding their magic.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #756
    Colossus in the Playground

Why call them "Pizza guys"? Did I miss something?
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Why call them "Pizza guys"? Did I miss something?
    Last panel.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

8. - Top - End - #758
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, whoever is Luke's other marked friend, it's either a heterosexual male or a gay female (based on the reaction to learning Justin's coworker was a she). That means Catalina is possible, but the color code isn't quite right. So I guess either Shive wants to trick us, or it's someone else (another one of the marks in the first page of squirrel prophet).
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

9. - Top - End - #759
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Mormegil View Post
    Well, whoever is Luke's other marked friend, it's either a heterosexual male or a gay female (based on the reaction to learning Justin's coworker was a she). That means Catalina is possible, but the color code isn't quite right. So I guess either Shive wants to trick us, or it's someone else (another one of the marks in the first page of squirrel prophet).
    What color code?
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #760
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    What color code?
    Speach baloons here and the subsequent page.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Titan in the Playground

Aww, blushy Luke is so cute!
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

12. - Top - End - #762

Aww, blushy Luke is so cute!
    Yes. He is.

Blushy attractive persons tend to be cute in general, and I'm assuming that Luke is intended to be attractive.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #763

I was about to go on a rampage about how Tedd is being so damn stupid right now, but the last panel is a surprise. It makes perfect sense in retrospect, and I like it. So... good job keeping us from getting information I guess?

14. - Top - End - #764

This was sort of implied in the NP story. Tedd really didn't want to talk about her abilities when he accidentally whent Mana reader on Susan, and her reaction about how totally unsurprising Tedd's spell was tells me that he only told her "It lets me turn into a girl and back at will" and not "it's permanent if I identify as female at the time".

I'm kind of wondering if "Not wanting to admit to relatives that you're not what society considers normal when it comes to gender and/or sexuality, even if it's the best possible option" runs in the family?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm kind of wondering if "Not wanting to admit to relatives that you're not what society considers normal when it comes to gender and/or sexuality, even if it's the best possible option" runs in the family?
    Mmh. Insofar as both, Ted in his early school life and Nanase at her home, have been quite heavily indoctrinated into what, in their experience, society considers "normal and accepted behavior" with any deviations from it in danger of being punished, i would think it is to be expected. We can be hurt most by those closest to us, and since we see our parents as "the" benchmark when it cames to fitting into society, i do think it is for both a case of not stepping outside of boundaries in the eyes of their parents. Wether those boundaries exist or will be enforced - see the reaction of Nanase's Mom so far - is secondary as long as they exist in the mind of Ted and Nanase.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Troll in the Playground

It might not be as strickt with Tedd and his dad as it was with Nanase and her mother (and even that went not as destructively as Nanase feared). The thing is, this is still the same day Tedd realised that he isn't some freak of nature (maybe a bit exagerated, but this strip does point to some serious issues Tedd had), since there are many people with similar take on gender identity. And it's the same day he got a magic mark and started to understand his other magical abilities. Tedd has a lot to take in and needs time. I think he will talk with his dad, but not before sorting it all out. I think he still has some problems with accepting his gender identity and even if not, he still is very vunlerable.

17. - Top - End - #767

I was thinking of this comic in particular.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Troll in the Playground

Which shows that Tedd is somewhat insecure and that his (or hers) dad is fairly mellow about all the sex changing shenanigans even if not fully ok with it. It almost seems as if Mr. Verres was a bit resigned, when it comes to all the hijinks caused by Tedd. At any rate better choice of relevant strip then mine.

Come to think of it, it isn't uncommon to experience more anxiety when saying delicate truth to someone you have stronger bonds with.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Titan in the Playground

And Dan makes the same reference along with some others, which I think officially makes Elliot and Ellen's parents the coolest in the comic so far (except maybe Mr. Raven to Noah). Mr. Tolkiberry is pressuring Justin to sleep with girls, Susan's parents (I'm not sure about names given the split) did such a number on her head vis a vis gender issues, Mr. Verres has been pressuring Tedd on cutting back or not doing "girl time," Mrs. Kitsune is way too tiger mom, Grace's parents treated her as a science experiment (though I'm not sure that they had other options given the other folks at the lab), and we don't know enough about the Brown Family to make any judgment calls there unless I'm misremembering. The Dunkels are if anything too laid back, but given how the twins turned out it's hard to say that their relentless bland faced support and refusal to take away dessert as a punishment has been a bad thing.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #770
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

And Dan makes the same reference along with some others, which I think officially makes Elliot and Ellen's parents the coolest in the comic so far (except maybe Mr. Raven to Noah). Mr. Tolkiberry is pressuring Justin to sleep with girls, Susan's parents (I'm not sure about names given the split) did such a number on her head vis a vis gender issues, Mr. Verres has been pressuring Tedd on cutting back or not doing "girl time," Mrs. Kitsune is way too tiger mom, Grace's parents treated her as a science experiment (though I'm not sure that they had other options given the other folks at the lab), and we don't know enough about the Brown Family to make any judgment calls there unless I'm misremembering. The Dunkels are if anything too laid back, but given how the twins turned out it's hard to say that their relentless bland faced support and refusal to take away dessert as a punishment has been a bad thing.
    Elliot, at least, is actively afraid of his own emotions. That comes with challenges of its own. I'm not gonna say it's worse than, say, the pressure Nanase's under from her mother, but seeing as how that pressure has resulted in Nanase having a vast array of skills, I'm hesitant to call it better, either. It's just different, and that's okay.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theNater View Post
    Elliot, at least, is actively afraid of his own emotions. That comes with challenges of its own. I'm not gonna say it's worse than, say, the pressure Nanase's under from her mother, but seeing as how that pressure has resulted in Nanase having a vast array of skills, I'm hesitant to call it better, either. It's just different, and that's okay.
    I'd say that Elliot is afraid of his emotions not because of his parents rearing but because of the circumstances of his parentage. Dominant or passive, the fact is that they had him too early, and Elliot know this. IMnpHO his parents have gone out of their way to be great parents, but I'm sure that his mom's regrets (exemplified in her reaction to suddenly getting a daughter) must have shined through here and there.

(Also, I'd add: as someone whose career path depends on the vast array of skills acquired from an expensive education, I can say that Nanase's mother takes it well too far, even before factoring in the ultimate objective that Nanase must become a housewife. Skills are nice, but they are not the be-all and end-all)

-------------

Re Tedd: leaving closets is scary. Today's extra panels drive home that dad is worried about the transformations. I think that Mr. Verres would happily embrace his genderfluid scion if the concept was explained to him with graphs and enough words, but I can also see why Tedd would be terrified to try. Mr. Verres is essentially a jaded cop. He has seen the worst of the worst in his work, while not too many of the very best (Elliot being one of the few exceptions), so he is naturally reluctant to accept that things outside the norm can be good: in his experience, they are not (because he has mostly dealt with power hungry people with power of the magical variety, and not the happy people that don't abuse magic and thus don't cross paths with him). But Tedd is comprehensively afraid that his dad's fear of the rare might mean rejection of what Tedd is (I mean, I don't think he's right to be afraid, but I think it is realistic to be afraid, if that makes sense)

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2015-01-16 at 09:32 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

22. - Top - End - #772
    Titan in the Playground

Elliot doesn't seem to be maladjusted about it though, he recognizes he's aggressive and channels it into sports and helping people who can't help themselves, rather than repressing it completely at most times(like Noah).

Whereas Nanase can't trust her own mom with most of the important things in her life and is actively if quietly rebelling because she feels stifled, and has spent her whole life being told that not only does she have to build those skills (on pain of punishment) but that she was expected to then basically do nothing meaningful with them and become a housewife. And no backtalk (again on pain of punishment).

It's the difference between a greenhouse and a pressure cooker in my mind. Both involve lots of warmth and are intended to result in an end product that's worthwhile. But Ellen and Elliot are promoted to grow in the ways they find meaningful and supported in whatever that might be, and the end product is supposed to be alive and flourishing, while Nanase is put under pressure to the point that if she starts to crack up there's a decent chance she'll explode, and the end product is intended to be perfect and sterile with no unwanted ingredients.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #773
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

But Ellen and Elliot are promoted to grow in the ways they find meaningful and supported in whatever that might be, and the end product is supposed to be alive and flourishing, while Nanase is put under pressure to the point that if she starts to crack up there's a decent chance she'll explode...
    There's a lot to unpack in your post, and I'm way too tired to do it all now, but I am compelled to say right now that one of those three has already exploded, and it was Ellen, not Nanase.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Titan in the Playground

Ellen's explosion was more due to her screwed up self-identity and the disconnect between how people keep treating her and how she feels she should be treated. Her parents may have unwittingly hurt her in that regard, but it was mostly out of their control.

The Dunkels are still awesome parents regardless.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

25. - Top - End - #775
    Titan in the Playground

There's a lot to unpack in your post, and I'm way too tired to do it all now, but I am compelled to say right now that one of those three has already exploded, and it was Ellen, not Nanase.
    What, you mean with the Sister arc? C'mon, the fear of impending death and the shock of coming into existence would be enough to make anyone freak out a little. She thought that Elliot had (albeit accidentally) condemned her to a freakishly short life in exchange for his own ease in dealing with his transformation and tried to get him in trouble.

And sucked at it. She managed kinda creepy and rebellious, but she couldn't bring herself to hurt anyone even through failure to act against the giant fire-breathing monster attack...
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #776

Ellen exploded minutes after she was born-coming into existence with memories that aren't yours and that you know aren't yours is a traumatic experiance, and she did think she was going to die in less than a month.

Extreme outside circumstances and all that.

And it seems my prediction was accurate-Tedd's happy about his discovery-that he's not a lone freak and that there is a name for it, but at the same time is terrified to leave the safety of a closet he didn't even he was in.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, panel 4 Tedd looks very much like Nanase.
    My Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #778
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Okay, panel 4 Tedd looks very much like Nanase.
    What, you're saying he's ugly? Yeah, he really does, especially with the swattable hairstyle. They're both so adorable!
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #779

Nanase looks an awful lot like Noriko, at least according to Not-Tengu.

Tedd also supposedly resembles his mother.

Two people who resemble a third looking like each other, especially when they are related, is not unlikely.

Tedd also likes to be "hot" when female, which by Tedd's(and Dan's) standards means "fit body with large but not overly large bust" which is Nanase is.

Same body type and hairstyle on top of an already similar face? I'd be surprised if Female Tedd didn't look like Nanase.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #780

Dan used the panel I remembered. Got it in one! :D

Also, the Dunkels are the best parents of any fiction I've ever read, even though I hate Elliot. They're just awesome.