New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Belkar's alignment

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    The spell effect implies that the only thing forced is the introspection (which, over a year's length of time, is almost certainly going to happen anyway) and the soul turns good on its own. Sure its based on a belief that souls default to "good" and want to be that way on some level, but hey. Morality as a whole is too complex to adequately simulate in a game (not to mention people aren't likely to be objective about it when writing the rules) so I have no problems with them making that assumption.
    I would almost except that except for the year bit.
    364 days: still evil and hates you.
    364.5 days: still evil and hates you.
    364.75 days: still evil and hates you.
    365 days: Good now (discounting the .25 for a leap year).

That is not a natural process of considering your life and choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Yeah, that sends more like bad fanfic-level writing. I'd full-on stop reading the comic if that happened, because screw consequences, lets let everyone do anything with no backlash because reasons, and also they're all named Mary Sue.
    I don't know I can see the funny side - and he would be LG after the spell.
    I have my suspicions that this will not happen - but hey if the joke fits.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post

I guess its just DM's choice, as the language of the spell does not say "if the gem is broken before a year is up" but instead "if the gem is broken before the soul finds penance." which implies that it could conceivably take less than a year to me.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #243
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I don't know I can see the funny side - and he would be LG after the spell.
    I have my suspicions that this will not happen - but hey if the joke fits.
    Jokes shouldn't break the story. The Giant clearly cares about characterization over cheap humor. Especially since one if the messages he's going for is "Evil isn't cool, guys," I can't imagine this happening unless a Belkar fanboy hijacks the site and uploads his own version of the strip.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Jokes shouldn't break the story. The Giant clearly cares about characterization over cheap humor. Especially since one if the messages he's going for is "Evil isn't cool, guys," I can't imagine this happening unless a Belkar fanboy hijacks the site and uploads his own version of the strip.
    Again I would doubt it would occur.

However my initial version was not so much a this happens as a one page joke.

But more a protracted period of character development from Belkar where he saves Durkon from a possibility of eternal enslavement - and might begin to consider some things along the way about how he might have been better.
    Not anywhere enough to redeem him or make him a remorseful character crying about his misdeeds - but enough slivers of light that he might be conceivable redeemed.
    And than being offered that redemption on a platter by his friend Durkon (the very person he saved).

Essentially his saving Durkon becomes his atonement quest.

The joke would be the Divas as Belkar walks in without bother (the diva holding a whole load of paperwork that they had carted in to discuss).

5. - Top - End - #245
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Again I would doubt it would occur.

However my initial version was not so much a this happens as a one page joke.

But more a protracted period of character development from Belkar where he saves Durkon from a possibility of eternal enslavement - and might begin to consider some things along the way about how he might have been better.
    Not anywhere enough to redeem him or make him a remorseful character crying about his misdeeds - but enough slivers of light that he might be conceivable redeemed.
    And than being offered that redemption on a platter by his friend Durkon (the very person he saved).

Essentially his saving Durkon becomes his atonement quest.

The joke would be the Divas as Belkar walks in without bother (the diva holding a whole load of paperwork that they had carted in to discuss).
    Ok, but the joke then requires Belkar to be instantly killed, or else he can keep being Belkar and reopen the judicial process, which he would then fail
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #246
    Firbolg in the Playground

If Rich did a story with Belkar becoming Lawful Good, it'd involve a Helm of Opposite Alignment. Then, when Belkar's goodness stopped being funny, the effect would be undone.

7. - Top - End - #247

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    The spell effect implies that the only thing forced is the introspection (which, over a year's length of time, is almost certainly going to happen anyway) and the soul turns good on its own.
    Nope.
    After one year, the trapped creature's soul adopts the alignment of the spell's caster (lawful good, chaotic good, or neutral good).
    If it was entirely introspection then the creature would tend towards L N or C based on their own beliefs, not on the caster's.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I just like to pretend that things that violently change a person's alignment don't exist.

It's a violation of the character, in every sense of the word. I understand the place they could have in a story, but I don't like grimdark stories.

Belkar might reach CN before he dies. Maybe. Right now, though, he's still cruising CE. Durkon may be the instrument of his alignment change, but as Belkar himself said, it's not something that happens overnight.

That would be very cool to read, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FidgetySquirrel View Post
    ...if this keeps up for much longer, half of the playground will have Orcus-themed sigs, which is probably how Orcus can appear in so many places to begin with. NOOOO! STOP SIGGING ORCU- *killed by Orcus*
    My Steam profile!

9. - Top - End - #249

RedSorcererGirl

I still say that:

1. His 'vision quest' with Shojo wasn't telling him to become good, it was telling him to become a high functioning sociopath instead of a lower functioning one.

2. It hasn't nearly been long enough to affect a real change to his alignment, even if he was capable.
    I do, however, wonder what the poor strawman ever did to you. - Kish

10. - Top - End - #250
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Angelalex242 View Post
    Sure, but if Roy's influence is successfully blunting Belkar's evil, he just might make it into Pandemonium because his evil is somewhat suppressed. Mind, Pandemonium is still a lower plane and not at all a fun place to be, but it's theoretically better then the Abyss.
    -snip-
    Actually, in MotP, which is where I get my planar info from, Pandemonium isn't evil-aligned, only chaos-aligned. Sure, it has evil tendencies, but I wouldn't say it was more Infernal than Ysgard is Celestial. Putting that fact in, Belkar will most likely go there, no matter what letter is on the end of his alignment abbreviation.

11. - Top - End - #251

SwashbucklerGuy

Agreed. I've heard it as he went from Stupid Evil ("I attack the King!" "OK. His guards slay you on the spot.") to a more standard CE. Which I completely agree with. CE doesn't necessarily mean poor teammate, even CE people can have people they don't want to die.
    Quote Originally Posted by FidgetySquirrel View Post
    ...if this keeps up for much longer, half of the playground will have Orcus-themed sigs, which is probably how Orcus can appear in so many places to begin with. NOOOO! STOP SIGGING ORCU- *killed by Orcus*
    My Steam profile!

12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Paseo H View Post
    I still say that:

1. His 'vision quest' with Shojo wasn't telling him to become good, it was telling him to become a high functioning sociopath instead of a lower functioning one.

2. It hasn't nearly been long enough to affect a real change to his alignment, even if he was capable.
    For 1.: Absolutely. Shojo was in no way telling him to change for real- he was telling him to fit in better. The question comes from whether or not you think that Belkar is actually changing as far as morality goes. We know he definitely is changing in some ways, due to Mr. Scruffy, but I personally agree with 2. and say there hasn't been enough time.

Peelee’s Lotsey

13. - Top - End - #253
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nilehus View Post
    I just like to pretend that things that violently change a person's alignment don't exist.
    And looking at what's happening with Durkon, and Belkar's stated reason for knowing that Vampire Durkon is not Durkon (that a person's alignment cannot abruptly change, basically), I would venture that it appears Rich does, too. And that if someone did stick a Helm of Opposite Alignment on Belkar's head, it would make Belkar a prisoner in his own mind while a Lawful Good entity steered his body around.

14. - Top - End - #254

RedSorcererGirl

Admittedly, the existence of such items does kinda make the implacability of pure evil monster villains like Xykon a bit of a non-starter since you know that theoretically someone could ambush him with a Helm and make him become Lawful Good.

Still, and all that being said, couldn't that actually be a way to defeat a villain in a sense?
    I do, however, wonder what the poor strawman ever did to you. - Kish

15. - Top - End - #255

SwashbucklerGuy

Hm... I like that. May use it as fluff in the future.

I know that particularly traumatic experiences can very quickly change people that drastically, but giving them a literal magical switch they can flip... Doesn't seem right. A character should earn their morality, their experiences, their... well, character. Not have it forced upon them.

Paseo: It could be, which is why I don't like it. Redemption or damnation shouldn't be as easy as putting on a helmet.
    Last edited by Nilehus; 2014-07-31 at 09:17 PM.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nilehus View Post
    Redemption or damnation shouldn't be as easy as putting on a helmet.
    Well, it IS considered a cursed item for a reason....

(It also traces its linage back to the days where the creators of the game thought it was a hi-lair-i-ous idea to stick an sphere of annihilation in the mouth of a statue (?) on the first level of a dungeon.

So, when taking THAT into consideration, things like the HoOA make sense. It's a relic from the time when the game designers hated their playing base and wanted to make their lives miserable.* )

* Joking.**
    ** Sort of.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2014-07-31 at 09:29 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb