New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Time to hop on the bandwagon! : Lets play The Last Dream

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    What a weird game. I still don't know what the heck is the story actually about after reading to this point. Something about... missing children?
    Pretty much this:

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    Part 20 : I blame Helios
    Really the main plot feels more like you're accidently involved in it. But the game excels in the amount of exploration you are able to do, the multiple paths you can take, and has some pretty decent puzzles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    I've been reading this thread for the last few days. Just notifying you, since I know Lpers feed on comments like tomatoes feed on decomposing human corpse. What a weird game. I still don't know what the heck is the story actually about after reading to this point. Something about... missing children?
    There is not much of one, You start as a human from earth who gets separated from their children and teleported from Earth to the World of Terra where you meet a man named Dante. Fast Forward a year you have met 3 adventurers and have your party, Dante's Daugther gets kidnapped and you have to go to old ruins to save her, from there you get sent to Atticus..because Dante thinks that he might be able to help you find a way home and things..get out of hand from there.

Mostly because Dante is a jerk and doesn't just tell you "Hey if you Kill the Dark Lord who Rules The Pandoran Empire you will probably get to go home."

That is basically the main character's plot, the rest of the plot I will toss in spoilers just to be safe

The meat and potatoes of the story come in flashbacks as you go through the game, you can actually turn those off if you so desire which is a nice option for speed running.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thousands of years ago an Elf named Nyx began screwing with The Forbidden Arts of Necromancy, in doing this he ends up getting Possessed by some sort of demon and starts summon other demons and causes havok, leading the high council of mages to have to seal Nyx away into the Abyss using the Ultima Crystal. This apparently shatters the Ultima Crystal, causing the end of the Elvish empires and killing all but one of the Elven High Council of Mages, Helios who then goes about sealing the last bits of the high artifacts of the Even Empire.

While Helios goes about hiding the Ultima Crystals, a Half Elf Orphan(mother was Raped by Nyx) grows up with the name Gabriel, to get out of his life of Orphanhood he joins the army with his best friend, his friend dies and he goes on an increasingly insane plot to achieve immortality, by using the Well of Souls to open a gateway to Earth, which extends his life for some reason, the end of the plot is having to take someone from Earth and bring them to Terra so that you can kill them in the Well of Souls..and he can absorb an Earthling soul which will make him live forever

Simple, but effective enough to make me want to punch him in the face.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Gabriels plan
    Spoiler
    Show

Actually it were more something along the line of Earth being a sort of parelel world, where souls on earth somehow were paired up with a soul from Terra.
    And it turns out then that you are the soul mirroring Gabriel, so if he kills you at the well, then he somehow breaks part of the soul cycle, and gains immortality.

thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Part 21 : The Well of Souls better not be some Kid's Snowglobe.

Spoiler
    Show

After I kill General Hannibal, I farm enough materials for a few of the Vanir Equipment, after a shield for Harlock and an Axe for Ryu, we take on Kali again.

and take her downtown for some Taco Bell, in reward for beating the hardest boss in the game we get.

The Ultimate Ring in the game, Though really I still think the Amarantine Ring is better, it gives Regen and Half MP costs, Kali's Ring only gives a (Very large admittedly) boost in stats, hey but BOTH is good to have.

And here is the last Hunter's guild target

The Vanir Golem, made of the strongest stubstance in the world of Terra, well except for Whatever Harlock is made of, because not even the Golem could really harm him. Apparently Harlock is so awesome that nothing short of a god can actively hurt him, he goes down quickly enough and with that we head, into the Well of Souls the resting place of all the Souls of the dead in Terra, where the Portal to Earth is.

It reminds me of the entrance to the Golden Temple way back in Legend of Zelda : A link to the past so very long ago when I was a small nerd as a child.

Inside we find a set of doors protected by spikes, around it 4 more open doors. The Trick here is fairly simple, you go in each door find a lever and flip it, which causes a row of spikes to go down, not at all unexpected for a Final Dungeon.

SPACE! SPAAAAACEEEEEE! But yeah, Definitely the Final Dungeon.

Oh hello First Boss in the game, okay the Well of Souls is the resting place for the souls of Terra, it makes sense that the things I have murdered would be here.

Hmm does that mean Nyx is here? OH CRAP..I am going to Run into Enhanced versions of the Hunter's Guild bosses aren't I...WAIT HELIOS WILL BE HERE!

No, Your Master has embarrassed himself, repeatedly. Every day, several times.

No, no I probably won't, I have Null Magic.

I don't think you can violate the Sanctity of an empty wasteland.

YES! I get to kill you again, and even when you are dead you manage to say something utterly stupid, Yes if Gabriel wins then both worlds are doomed, however there is one flaw in your plan.

I Don't plan on losing you twit, I am going to take my axe and violate the sanctity of Gabriel's forehead with it.

after Helios we get a straight path, that glows as we walk across it, very nice effect.

Oh, and hello Dark Lord Gabriel, I guess no Uber Boss souls..thank god, and Enhanced Kali would probably murder me hard.

And the main character speaks, why couldn't they have let me call out Dante and Helios like I am calling out the badguy, this is in response to “Oh I murdered thousands to open my portal and try to achieve immortality, OH POOR ME! POOR POOR ME!”

It is go time, of course a final boss needs appropriate music, and no music is as good as this one not a bad fight, he casts lots of high powered magic, that would hurt if I were not overleveled.

Oh...oh...that can't be good.

This fight was not easy, He has all of the big spells you would expect, and he hits hard enough to make me worry about characters getting killed (he can actually oneshot Bubblegum and Gulyus with his more powerful attacks) he even managed to put down Harlock once with a very lucky Crit that came at a time that I let him stay at a lower level of health than I should have, after a long fight, The Dark Lord goes down, and the game is over.

I suppose that Gabriel's death opened the portal so The main character gets to return home! Huzzah!

One thing that I got spoiled on with this game, is that subquests you do actually alter the ending scenes in small ways, I actually had the bird people in Lemuria basically say “Oh those humans, how odd they are with their whole killing each other stuff.”

They better not be remembered, I did all the work, the best thing is that Atticus talked about “never finding the man who killed his father” which was totally General Hannibal who I killed. EAT IT ATTICUS!

Speaking of Atticus, him and his Spartans get medals of honor for, the things..they did not do.

Oh and what does Dante get for kidnapping me for a year, not telling me what is going on from the start and generally being as unhelpful as humanly possible. He gets to be king, I should have just let Nyx free and had him destroy everything.

And Ryu returns home to his children, who he tells the tale of his adventures in the world of Terra to.

Of course, afterwards He gets put in an insane asylum since he told his children he spent months in an alternate world, and was only gone for minutes on earth because the dimensional trip takes you back in time as well.

So I saved the World from Nyx, Helios and The Dark Lord, and for all my troubles..I get committed, lose all my magical weapons and armor...and Dante gets to be King of Pandora.

Totally Happy Ending for everyone involved, I hate you Dante.

So that is it, the end of the game. Well so far, they are working on an expansion. How was it? For all the fun I made of the NPCs, it was a great game, well worth the price. In the end I had some 60 Hours into it and I still had not done all the sidequests, My only complaint is that Engineers seemed really underpowered in comparison to the other classes who had more clearly defined roles, which is somewhat unfortunate because lots of the skills the Engineer has are cool, especially with the XP boost early on.

The downside is that they just do not scale up well into the late game, without knowledge of enemies and their elemental weaknesses Using bombs is lots of Trial and error, however classes like Knight can just wail on foes with an Axe and by the time you find the foes elemental weakness the Knight has the foe mostly dead.

But still a great game 9/10 easily.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Congrats! I snickered a bit when you met Dark Lord 2.0. I'm very much looking forward to whatever else these guys come up with. They made a very solid first outing with Last Dream. If you get a chance you should take a look at their website and some of the speedruns people have posted, its rather absurd. It would seem Legendary is crazy hard though.
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Oh yes indeed, their games does have a few little bumbs to be ironed out, but im really looking forward to see what they can do when they are able to build on upon this framework.

Personally im hoping for them making a fixed party of characters, just so that you can get a better feeling of being part of a unfolding story.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Well, it was worked on by 5 people, a very small indy studio, using RPG Maker so what they made with the limitations they had to deal with, and the game is 10 Bucks, considering I spent 60 hours on the game and did not do all of the side quests, only the really major ones I think that is quite a buy, especially for the quality of game.

The worst crimes the games Commit are that it has Some bad Silent Protagonist Syndrome, and a little bit of class balance issues, now that keeps it from being 10/10, but the story is actually compelling, the mechanics are good, the graphics are very good, I just wish I had not ended up so overleveled by the end that few things were of actual threat to me..but first time through an RPG I end up like that most times..because I never use guides and the first time I play an RPG..I always explore the world ASAP.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

first time through an RPG I end up like that most times..because I never use guides and the first time I play an RPG..I always explore the world ASAP.
    You sir, are a dragon after me own dwarven heart.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

The worst crimes the games Commit are that it has Some bad Silent Protagonist Syndrome, and a little bit of class balance issues, now that keeps it from being 10/10, but the story is actually compelling, the mechanics are good, the graphics are very good, I just wish I had not ended up so overleveled by the end that few things were of actual threat to me..but first time through an RPG I end up like that most times..because I never use guides and the first time I play an RPG..I always explore the world ASAP.
    I actually think the class imbalance were partly intentional?
    Some classes were directly called out as being either late or early game monsters, and the Engineer who seemed to be a little lacking powerwise were given a lot of little perks, like the ability to use tunnels and some group buffs.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    I actually think the class imbalance were partly intentional?
    Some classes were directly called out as being either late or early game monsters, and the Engineer who seemed to be a little lacking powerwise were given a lot of little perks, like the ability to use tunnels and some group buffs.
    Engineers also get 3x effect of items, so on any of the items that buff your stats for a battle they become that much more powerful. So instead of stat +30 & +10% it becomes stat +90 and +30%. And for the HP/MP increase it becomes +300% (this is with the hyper potions). Made life quite a bit easier despite not having a dedicated healer character.

I was quite amused by how much healing I could get from the Thief, Ranger and Engineer by the end of the game though. Steal and heal was just crazy useful (gave me lots of toys for the engineer as well).

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    Engineers also get 3x effect of items, so on any of the items that buff your stats for a battle they become that much more powerful. So instead of stat +30 & +10% it becomes stat +90 and +30%. And for the HP/MP increase it becomes +300% (this is with the hyper potions). Made life quite a bit easier despite not having a dedicated healer character.

I was quite amused by how much healing I could get from the Thief, Ranger and Engineer by the end of the game though. Steal and heal was just crazy useful (gave me lots of toys for the engineer as well).
    Oh are the Vigor Tonics affected by the Engineer buff? I never really tried them.

The Tonics were all single target, and the white mage version of those were party wide, the party wide buffs had a better action economy than the tonics.

I probably could have Killed Kali and the Vanir Golem without needing to farm Well of Souls mobs for Vanir Equipment if I had known that.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh are the Vigor Tonics affected by the Engineer buff? I never really tried them.
    Yup. Was why I really needed them for the final boss, I think my engineer was the only character even close to 1k hp. Everyone else was between 300 and 700 hp. My defense was also rather lousy, something something glass cannons are fun.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    Yup. Was why I really needed them for the final boss, I think my engineer was the only character even close to 1k hp. Everyone else was between 300 and 700 hp. My defense was also rather lousy, something something glass cannons are fun.
    Well darn I wish I had tried that out, but I blame Helios anyways.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Well darn I wish I had tried that out, but I blame Helios anyways.
    If I had figured it out sooner (i.e. before fighting the final boss), I would've given the final hunts another try. Glass cannons without their level 50 skills make for tasty eatings apparently. ><