New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Off to save a...dragon? [IC]

The sun begins to sink closer and closer to the horizon.
    As darkness fall over the path to Crooked Creek the forest begins to come awake with the sounds of night. In the distance, a wolf howls.
    It is time to camp for the night, and luckily enough you can see a good campsite ahead of you. Here the trail or road you are on meets up with some others, and then continues into one larger road straight to Crooked Creek.
    The area already has a shabby lean-to set up, and a fire pit with logs around it for seating. A taller man with a hood up already sits there.
    Cool avatar by Gurgleflep

Posting Severely Limited. PM me in case of prolonged absence

my page

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Off to save a...dragon? [IC]

Ratof

Ratof walks slowly along the path. Trying to stand in the middle of the group to be the most protected as he was quite weak (HP wise). He looks around at the rest of his group and says "I'm afraid I haven't been formally introduced to you all. I am Ratof, skilled in the art of arcane magic. Not a spell-worm mind you (that's the term he uses for wizards) but a sorcerer." He sees the hooded man "Ah, a campsite, might we use this to rest our weary bones good sir?" He asks the hooded man.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Klaus

Battered chainmail clinks as a wiry young dwarf determinedly trudges along the path to Crooked Creek. Slung at his side a finely crafted waraxe's edge glints in the setting sun as the haft slaps against his thigh. The fire of his hair matches the blaze on the horizon as his coal black eyes turn towards the lean-to and hooded man ahead. "Well met, Ratof," he rumbles in heavily accented Common, "I be Klaus of the clan Stoutbrew. An avenger I be, no more no less."

As they move closer to the camp he gives his assent, "A fine enough spot for a camp to be struck. Bit lackin' 'ere the stone ceilin' depar'ment if ye ask me, but who is I to judge eh?"
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Medic! View Post
    Klaus

Battered chainmail clinks as a wiry young dwarf determinedly trudges along the path to Crooked Creek. Slung at his side a finely crafted waraxe's edge glints in the setting sun as the haft slaps against his thigh. The fire of his hair matches the blaze on the horizon as his coal black eyes turn towards the lean-to and hooded man ahead. "Well met, Ratof," he rumbles in heavily accented Common, "I be Klaus of the clan Stoutbrew. An avenger I be, no more no less."

As they move closer to the camp he gives his assent, "A fine enough spot for a camp to be struck. Bit lackin' 'ere the stone ceilin' depar'ment if ye ask me, but who is I to judge eh?"
    Ratof

"Yes, well met! If you pardon my intrusion, what are you avenging?"

5. - Top - End - #5

Klaus

The dwarf's face turns to stone and his eyes turn to onyx, "Me brudder." He doesn't seem ready to say much more on the subject just yet.
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Medic! View Post
    Klaus

The dwarf's face turns to stone and his eyes turn to onyx, "Me brudder." He doesn't seem ready to say much more on the subject just yet.
    Ratof

Ratof makes a mental note not to pursue this further. He quickly changes the subject. "So how did you hear about Crooked Creek?"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Clad in chain with a blade and shield, yet with some kind of magical rock orbiting his head, Parn watches the others. "Kobold Raids, is what I heard. Anyone know more?"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ratof

"Yes, that is what I heard. And who might you be?" The sorcerer says to the human.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

"Parn. Warrior." he murmured. "Hopefully someone knows more.."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

The cloaked man turns, and throws back his hood.
    Long hair cascades out, and the elf woman looks at the three of you.
    "Welcome to Crooked Creek. You all have some business to attend to here I presume? But its likely not what you think it is. Take the kobolds for example. Not what they appear to be"
    She turns back to the fire.
    "Are you going to take a seat?"

my page

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ratof

Ratof looks confused. "are the kobolds not the problem? I thought that was why we were here? To stop an infestation?" he says looking confused yet fascinated and sits down at the fire near the elven women.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Parn leans against a tree, listening to the cloaked figure.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

"Not a sitter I see. Well then, let us commence anyways.
    "The kobolds are only part of the problem, and not the largest one at that. They are in fact a problem brought on the town by the mayor himself.
    "I have told them to grant your party safe passage to Crooked Creek; I suggest that you first ask the Mayor what the first contact with the kobolds was and how the townsfolk responded"

She gets up and dusts her traveling robes off.
    "I have said enough, and maybe too much. I do hope that you will be able to put things right"
    The woman looks to the sky, and for a moment she seems far more than what she is. Her eyes sparkle and reflect the starlight before she looks back down at all of you.
    "Oh, and I've set up a tent and prepared some food for you all"
    She points to a treestump across the fire from her where six bowls of steaming stew sit. Two tents big enough for two stand behind the stump, nestled into the forest.
    When you look back at her, she is gone.

my page

14. - Top - End - #14

Klaus

"Well many thanks t'ye lass!" the last part is cut off as he looks to see her gone. Not set on edge at all by the mystery of the situation in the face of free food, the dwarf's legs propel him like tank treads towards the feast.

To the gathered adventurers, he finds a way to push words through a mouth packed with food as only a dwarf can, "Not t' call suspicion on anyone providin' such a meal, but kobolds is always a problem."
    Last edited by Medic!; 2014-03-12 at 10:22 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

A small man approaches from a side path, he's been standing there for the whole exchange. He looks much like a dwarf, but has somewhat finer, less bulky features, as well as pointed ears. He has dirty blonde hair with a short, neatly trimmed beard, he is wearing leather armour with a backpack, with various weapons strapped to his back. He also has a lovely whit flower poking out from behind his ear.
    "Well, she certainly knows how to make an exit."
    He smiles to all of them.
    "Hello Mr. Ratof, Warrior Parn, and Klaus, my dwarven brother. I am Dosh Hua-kag, chosen Champion of Corellon Larethian, and it looks like we're in for quite the adventure together."
    He puts his hands together and waits a moment.
    "Now is it just me or does that stew smell damn delicious?"

16. - Top - End - #16

Klaus

Dosh gets a chance to smell the stew a bit more intimately as droplets fly from Klaus's beard, propelled by a hearty "Well met! 'At stew's as good as it smells brother!"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

'Yes well met mister Dosh, well, we might as well get on with the meal, that the women gave us. Does anyone see her anyway? Hm, she appeared to have vanished, I wonder... Magic?'

Spoiler
    Show
    I might want to do a spellcraft check... Hm... Let's go for it!(1d20+6)[25]Yes!!!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

As the day fades to night the stew runs out and you all lie down for a long rest.
    The next morning dawns bright and early with the smell of frying eggs.
    They sit in a pan in the coals from the fire last night, but nobody is there to tend to them.
    "Ydych chi'n siarad ddraig?"
    A voice greets you from just outside your campfire.
    A greenish kobold (which explains why you didn't see them against the forest) looks at you all, hands raised in a gesture of peace.

Spoiler: Those who speak Draconic
    Show
    "Do you speak Draconic?"

my page

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ratof replies back: "Hye j fj, shau ue huy nyet."

(Yes I do, what is it you need?)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

"Byddwch yn siarad ddraig ond yn wael. Nid eich tafod brodorol. Yr wyf fy hun cigydd ei serch, nid yw'n 'n bert, fel pan ei fod yn disgyn o gwefusau y Tad.
    "Yr wyf yma i helpu i'ch arwain i'r pentref. Os gwelwch yn dda eich hunain paratoi er mwyn i ni adael"
    The kobold turns, picks up a pack, and slings it over their shoulders before standing still to wait for you all.

Spoiler: Draconic
    Show
    "You speak dragon but poorly. It is not your native tongue. I myself butcher it though; it is not pretty, like when it falls from the lips of the The Father.
    "I am here to help guide you to the village. Please prepare yourselves so that we may leave"

my page

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ratof tells the others: "He is here to guide us to the town, he says that we should get going as soon as possible." Ratof then proceeds to pick up his backpack and begins following the kobold.

"Yu'n tre gu canive hunhye, huy F net dru hy whav hy."

It's not my native tongue, but I can get by with it.

22. - Top - End - #22

Dosh emerges from his personal tent, rubbing his eyes. Watching the foreign language conversation. Looking confused, he starts looking around the area of their camp for a new flower for his hair, having accidentally crushed the last one in his sleep.
    "So he's our guide then. Clears that up. Did he make the eggs? They good to eat? Don't reptiles lay eggs? Is he a reptile? Do Kobalds lay eggs? Would that be weird for someone who's race lays eggs to eat eggs? Ask him if making eggs is weird for him."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ratof then says: "Hey, buddy slow down. One question at a time." He then asks the kobold if he made the eggs in draconic.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

It is hard to tell, but it looks like the kobold wrinkles its face in disgust. It definitely recoils.

"Doeddwn i ddim yn gwneud y wyau. Byddai hynny'n barbaraidd. Sut y byddwch yn gall pobl dwyrain y plant heb eu geni unrhyw beth ... mae'n gwneud i mi shudder. Dysgodd y Tad i ni yn dda gyda deiet o blanhigion"

Show
    I did not make the eggs. That would be barbaric. How you people can east the unborn children of anything...it makes me shudder. The Father taught us well with the diet of plants.

my page

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Parn coughs. "Would he happen to be part of the group that is... antagonizing the town? To what purpose does he guide us to his enemies?"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ratof is now feeling somehwat annoyed of being a translater but nonetheless he translates Parn's question.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

"Gallwch ofyn cwestiynau i mi yn ddiweddarach. Dylem gael mynd."
    Show
    You can ask me questions later. We should get going.

The kobold refuses to move, or speak further until you are all packed up and start down the trail after them.
    Then they become quite eloquent again, almost talking your ears off in their high pitched nattering voice. Draconic is said to be a majestic and beautiful language, but you could not tell from listening to this kobold speak it. It sounds more like yipping, barking, and nails against a chalkboard.

"Ie , yr wyf yn rhan o'r grŵp y Dewis sy'n byw yn yr ardal hon . Rydym yn Gelwir y Tad Plant . Nid yw'n dechnegol ein tad , Mae gen i dad a mam a ddewiswyd , yn union fel y gweddill. Fodd bynnag, mae'n ein Tad yn ei fod yn gofalu i ni , yn edrych ar ein hôl ni , yn gwylio dros ni , yn gwneud yn siwr ein bod yn aros yn rhydd o niwed , ac yn dysgu llawer, llawer o bethau i ni. Fel y dywedais , yn bwyta dim ond llysiau a ffrwythau oedd ei syniad.
    O ran a ydym yn gythruddo y pentref , na, nid ydym yn . Pam fyddech chi'n meddwl hynny? Rydym yn ... yn dda , byddaf yn gadael i chi siarad â nhw cyn i mi ddweud anymore, rhag i mi fynd i mewn trafferth gyda'r Tad. Nid ydym yn cael i siarad am hyn gyda dieithriaid o gwbl mewn gwirionedd; oeddwn yn synnu ei fod wedi fy anfon i'ch tywys trwy'r goedwig . Amcana ei er gwell eich bod yn rhaid i rywun eich arwain trwy'r llwybrau neu fel arall y byddech yn debygol yn mynd ar goll . Rwy'n dal i feddwl hi'n ddoniol y byddai y Tad yn delio â chi phobl o gwbl, ond efe a anfonodd i mi , felly yr wyf yn dyfalu ei fod wedi ei resymau . Ni fyddwn yn disgwyl i unrhyw un arall oddi wrtho er; ei fod yn eithaf peticular am rai pethau. Hefyd, peidiwch â cheisio dweud wrth unrhyw un o'r Etholedig beth i'w wneud. Dim ond yn cymryd eu gorchmynion oddi wrtho."

Show
    *|Translator's note. Khosen, in this text, means Kobolds. It is pronounced Chosen, but is distinguishable from the word chosen by the stressing of the 'o'
    This has actually become an issue, as this is another language that google translate has been helping me with. There is not Welsh word for 'kobold' and I figured that the kobolds would have a mighty name for themselves in draconic. It should be noted however that Khosen is a bit of a bastardization of actual draconic; it is more of a slang and a colloquialism than an actual word|

"Yes, I am part of the group of Khosen that live around here. We are called The Father's Children. He is not technically our father; I have a Khosen father and mother, just like the rest. However, he is our Father in that he cares for us, looks after us, watches over us, makes sure that we stay free from harm, and teaches us many many things. Like I said, eating only vegetables and fruits was his idea.
    As to whether or not we are antagonizing the village, no, we are not. Why would you think that? We are...well, I shall let you speak with them before I say anymore, lest I get in trouble with The Father. We are not allowed to speak of this with outsiders at all actually; I was surprised that he sent me to guide you through the forest. I guess its for the better that you have someone to lead you through the trails or else you would likely get lost. I still think it funny that The Father would deal with you people at all, but he sent me, so I guess he has his reasons. I wouldn't expect anyone else from him though; he is quite peticular about certain things. Also, don't try and tell any of the Khosen what to do. They only take their orders from him."

my page

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ratof tells the group a summarized version: "He says that he will talk later as soon as we start walking. He also says that he is confused why he would think that the kobolds are terrorizing the village. We should not try to order the kobolds around either. They only take their orders from someone called 'the father.' Though he is not technically their father they have been cared for by him."

Ratof also tries to tell whether or not the kobold is telling the truth (I have a low sense motive, but I think I just want to check.)

Sense Motive: (1d20)[9]

29. - Top - End - #29

Dosh follows behind the babbling Kobald, weaving a daffodil into his hair as he walks.
    "I hope they speak more than just Dragon."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Hopefully, hopefully..."