New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: AtlanteanTroll's Additional Tirade @ Atrocious Threads Random Banter #207

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    And my conlang is neither. Mine is agglutinative.
    Yes. And I think you're cramming in way too much unneeded information into each word. Make each grammatical category optional, and if you leave it out the speaker doesn't think it's important.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: AtlanteanTroll's Additional Tirade @ Atrocious Threads Random Banter #207

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Well, to be honest, I'm actually not. I'm still under the weather, which is awkward seeing how I have to prepare 15 minutes worth of presentation (30 minutes, but with a friend) to be presented Thursday morning, and I'm having trouble focusing well enough to actually produce much material. Still, we have two full days left...

And... I'm not quite sure. Around 20°C, I think, but I'm not sure if it's supposed to be even greater or lesser or...
    Aww...well it has been a few days since then. How are you doing now Teddy?

And I just did a thing with that temperature to compare it to how the temperature is over here...and wow. I wish we had weather like that here sometimes. We've had between 26 and 32 Celsius over here lately, and it will likely get even hotter. I may even be understating it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeppio View Post
    Spoiler: It's my birthday!
    Show

Happy birthday to me! :3
    I absolutely need to check this thread more. Happy Birthday Skepps! I hope it was very much fun.

*stumbles into thread, collapses on whatever is the closest soft object in my path*

Phew, I decided to jog a Swedish mile today. And just to explain, a Swedish mile ("mil") is 10 km long, so we at least get some distance out of it. Still, I'm horrendously out of shape, and only managed the first 2.5 km lap without lapsing into walking for catching my breath, and after every lap I had to stop to refill myself with water (which ran out after the third lap, but I only live a 200 metres or so from the jogging track), but I still managed to go the whole way with an average speed of 8 km/h and an estimation that I at least jogged 7.5 km of those 10 km.

Now my legs won't carry me, though. And I expect having to stay homebound all of tomorrow due to muscle fever. Teddy is no marathon man...

ION:
    I'm all up in getting myself a new computer, because this one is pushing 6 years and can hardly handle running today. I've decided on the computer itself, but I'm considering buying a drawing tablet to it, because I really like the tablet functionality of this one, and that sort of thing has just disappeared as of lately (replaced with digitizer-less touch screens which probably won't handle me resting my hand on them very well), and now my inner maximiser is fighting my inner cheapskate on what quality of the tablet it is I should go for...
    Yeah that...that distance is insane. It's no wonder that you're completely worn out. I can't remember anytime I had to walk a distance like that lately. 2.5 km are okay, but beyond that...hope you recover well Teddy. You are much stronger than I am, certainly.

I also hope your new computer works well for you. What kinda stuff would you be getting up to with the tablet, mostly school stuff or do you have other ideas?

ION: Ever had that feeling like so many things are changing around you? Well that's me lately, and I feel like I am kinda just starting to notice it. Hence why I have no been on so much lately. So yeah. Hope to pop on to the banter more, can't promise anything. At least I won't drop it completely.
    Spoiler: Sigs about the Internet and Life
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Yeah... even if it's a fairly friendly place by the internet's standards... it's still the internet. A certain level of pedantic bickering is to be expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    The forums can't universally agree that the sun will rise in the east. Disagreement is what we do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacior
    If I can get a pet dinosaur, I totally will. My low wisdom means a raptor looks like a great guard dog.

Awesome Holy Knight Haluesen avatar done by the uber skilled Grinner!

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Yes. And I think you're cramming in way too much unneeded information into each word. Make each grammatical category optional, and if you leave it out the speaker doesn't think it's important.
    Some of it I agree with your point on. It's why I have plenty of null morphemes in conjugating verbs.

English example: To conjugate a verb for any simple present for besides 3rd person singular, you add the null morpheme. It's pretty much a "default" version.

At the same time, though, I don't think I'm cramming too much into nouns. The suffixes are very systematically generated. For instance, all inclusive 1st person suffixes begin -m-, or all inanimate dual suffixes end -ü.
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground

I think you are confusing type of language with ease of language. Greek and English are very different languages. English is a more isolating language while Greek is more synthetic, and it's difficult to go from one type to the other. I don't know of any studies that show that some languages are inherently more difficult to speak or understand, though. You may be thinking of an essay like this. But you can exaggerate anything for comic effect - even English. Derivational morphology, for instance, is another area where English is far from simple.
    I don't think Zodi is talking about ease of anything to start with, but how English is a pretty compressed language. Take German (which is rather verbose) for a counter-example. The same text easily becomes 20% longer, a curiousity I noticed when when reading the information sign on a German museum...

Quote Originally Posted by Haluesen View Post
    Aww...well it has been a few days since then. How are you doing now Teddy?
    I'm doing good now, apart from my muscles suffering from varying degrees of stiffness and soreness. Have had yesterday for doing nothing but recuperation, and I would hardly have done what I did today if I still was feeling unwell, would I?

And I just did a thing with that temperature to compare it to how the temperature is over here...and wow. I wish we had weather like that here sometimes. We've had between 26 and 32 Celsius over here lately, and it will likely get even hotter. I may even be understating it.
    To be honest, I find at least the lower span of those temperature to be the perfect comfort zone for me. But yeah, for the upper ones, I think I would prefer to have a lake nearby...

Yeah that...that distance is insane. It's no wonder that you're completely worn out. I can't remember anytime I had to walk a distance like that lately. 2.5 km are okay, but beyond that...hope you recover well Teddy. You are much stronger than I am, certainly.
    To be honest, I really don't think it is. I think everyone should be able to handle 10 km at a relatively rapid pace (about a fast walk), and my goal for myself is to be able to run 5 km straight without slowing down. If I can handle that, I'll be pretty satisfied with my constitution, because then I know I'll be able to engage in any reasonably normal physical activities I want for an extended time without having to stop for a pause...

I also hope your new computer works well for you. What kinda stuff would you be getting up to with the tablet, mostly school stuff or do you have other ideas?
    Well, as of lately, I've mostly only been using my tablet screen for making hand-written notes or sketching up proposals for system designs or graphical interfaces, and that's mostly uni work which I know I could do with a less accurate tablet, but I would want to pick up a bit more drawing, especially if I am to go beyond silly scribbles...

ION: Ever had that feeling like so many things are changing around you? Well that's me lately, and I feel like I am kinda just starting to notice it. Hence why I have no been on so much lately. So yeah. Hope to pop on to the banter more, can't promise anything. At least I won't drop it completely.
    Changing in a good or bad or just changing way? I know the feeling of bad change, and I sincerely hope that's not the case for you...
    *kram*
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I'm doing good now, apart from my muscles suffering from varying degrees of stiffness and soreness. Have had yesterday for doing nothing but recuperation, and I would hardly have done what I did today if I still was feeling unwell, would I?
    Hmm that is indeed a good point.

To be honest, I find at least the lower span of those temperature to be the perfect comfort zone for me. But yeah, for the upper ones, I think I would prefer to have a lake nearby...
    Well to be honest I find that I did under-exaggerate...I checked the thermometer outside and it is apparently more like 35 C. So yeah it is a warm day. But so you know, there is a lake nearby here...

To be honest, I really don't think it is. I think everyone should be able to handle 10 km at a relatively rapid pace (about a fast walk), and my goal for myself is to be able to run 5 km straight without slowing down. If I can handle that, I'll be pretty satisfied with my constitution, because then I know I'll be able to engage in any reasonably normal physical activities I want for an extended time without having to stop for a pause...
    Well for generally walking I could do that distance just fine, but for a quicker pace it would depend on the weather. I do not handle heat well at all, during cooler seasons I could perhaps do that better. Running 5 km...I had to convert that to miles so I would understand (crazy American that I am), and that...wow. In high school I was in fairly good physical shape, and straight running 1 mile/1.6 km was not doable. After just a quarter of running that I had to walk a bit to regain my energy. So...I wish you well there, because that would kick butt. I admit I need to get more in shape again, but something like that is a far off dream to me, if even that.

Well, as of lately, I've mostly only been using my tablet screen for making hand-written notes or sketching up proposals for system designs or graphical interfaces, and that's mostly uni work which I know I could do with a less accurate tablet, but I would want to pick up a bit more drawing, especially if I am to go beyond silly scribbles...
    Ah I see then. Well I hope you find it fun to use! Those tablets have always seemed rather unique for drawing to me, didn't really think of simply taking notes with them too. Part of what you said sounds so professional though Teddy.

Changing in a good or bad or just changing way? I know the feeling of bad change, and I sincerely hope that's not the case for you...

*kram*
    It's...eh. Some good and some bad. I mean, my mom has restarted college classes which is nice, my grandma got a new truck that I plan to learn to drive with (I get the basics, but don't have real experience driving, and I am way too old for that -_- ), and I have an interesting prospect for the future. On the other hand it seems to make a lot of this work I will have a fair bit less time with close friends, I still haven't gotten over my semi-frequent bouts of sadness, and a lot of the time I don't feel very close to my girlfriend (discarding the actual physical distance between us). So just a lot is changing...it is hard to keep up with. Even my general mindset on a lot of things is being changed lately.
    Show
    Yeah... even if it's a fairly friendly place by the internet's standards... it's still the internet. A certain level of pedantic bickering is to be expected.
    The forums can't universally agree that the sun will rise in the east. Disagreement is what we do.
    If I can get a pet dinosaur, I totally will. My low wisdom means a raptor looks like a great guard dog.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think Zodi is talking about ease of anything to start with, but how English is a pretty compressed language. Take German (which is rather verbose) for a counter-example. The same text easily becomes 20% longer, a curiousity I noticed when when reading the information sign on a German museum...
    Contrast with Latin. Because it has a case system, drops subject pronouns, and doesn't have articles, it can be fairly compact. "Puellae panem do." "I give [the/a] girl [the] bread."
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

7. - Top - End - #487
    Titan in the Playground

Well to be honest I find that I did under-exaggerate...I checked the thermometer outside and it is apparently more like 35 C. So yeah it is a warm day. But so you know, there is a lake nearby here...
    Hehehe...

Well for generally walking I could do that distance just fine, but for a quicker pace it would depend on the weather. I do not handle heat well at all, during cooler seasons I could perhaps do that better. Running 5 km...I had to convert that to miles so I would understand (crazy American that I am), and that...wow. In high school I was in fairly good physical shape, and straight running 1 mile/1.6 km was not doable. After just a quarter of running that I had to walk a bit to regain my energy. So...I wish you well there, because that would kick butt. I admit I need to get more in shape again, but something like that is a far off dream to me, if even that.
    Well, I'm only thinking of jogging pace, not really running at full. And as for the heat, that's what you need water for. Yes, you'll be sweating a waterfall, but for as long as you keep replenishing that water, the heat won't actually stop you...

Ah I see then. Well I hope you find it fun to use! Those tablets have always seemed rather unique for drawing to me, didn't really think of simply taking notes with them too. Part of what you said sounds so professional though Teddy.
    Hehehe, yeah, I admit to it sounding professional, but it's more or less this:

(That's from our project, by the way.)

So yeah, professional indeed.

It's...eh. Some good and some bad. I mean, my mom has restarted college classes which is nice, my grandma got a new truck that I plan to learn to drive with (I get the basics, but don't have real experience driving, and I am way too old for that -_- ), and I have an interesting prospect for the future. On the other hand it seems to make a lot of this work I will have a fair bit less time with close friends, I still haven't gotten over my semi-frequent bouts of sadness, and a lot of the time I don't feel very close to my girlfriend (discarding the actual physical distance between us). So just a lot is changing...it is hard to keep up with. Even my general mindset on a lot of things is being changed lately.
    I see. Well, I hope you find rest amidst all the change, at least!

Show

8. - Top - End - #488
    Bugbear in the Playground

You write the dots and not a dash?

This is a strange day. Very. I cannot turn off my REM sleep. At least now i AM not going back to sleep every time my brain goes into a dream. It is hard though. I am not body tired. I did not think I was not getting enough sleep. But I am dreaming but awake. It is good because I was using cut paper to work out a three dimensional problem and now I do not have to and I found the mistake in yesterday's paper shapes. It is bad because I keep dreaming ordinary things that do not exist and getting angry when I cannot find them.
    I have found a RL gaming group but I'm willing to meet other GitP people nearby.
    Please send a PM or an email! _______ Tea served in a student cafe in Seattle

9. - Top - End - #489
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Taet View Post
    You write the dots and not a dash?

Quote Originally Posted by Taet View Post
    This is a strange day. Very. I cannot turn off my REM sleep. At least now i AM not going back to sleep every time my brain goes into a dream. It is hard though. I am not body tired. I did not think I was not getting enough sleep. But I am dreaming but awake. It is good because I was using cut paper to work out a three dimensional problem and now I do not have to and I found the mistake in yesterday's paper shapes. It is bad because I keep dreaming ordinary things that do not exist and getting angry when I cannot find them.
    This sounds like a very strange condition, almost medical. I assume it's a very odd experience, yes?

Show

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I'm going to PM this post to someone. If you do not receive the PM, you could try to guess who it was sent to; if you do receive it, please post here (as in, the Random Banter thread) answering the question asked in the PM's title.
    Oooookay?

And looking a little further than that, I'm fairly certain there are rules against multiple accounts. This is my one and only account on Giant.

Spoiler: It's my birthday!
    Show

Happy birthday to me! :3
    Happy birthday!

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    No problem! I wholly understand.

No, no; ramblings are great! It is from digressions that lets us peer into another's existence, after all. You have a willing audience over here; what can you tell us about werewolves?
    At this point, nothing that's not common knowledge, but at the time it had all seemed new and interesting. About werewolves anyway. At the moment I've been studying up on wine in the hopes that I can start growing some grape vines within the next year or so.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't be fooled by your MOS, friends, if you join the military, you will wind up digging ditches that ultimately turn out to be useless.
    GLORIOUS SOVIET SNAIL SUPERTECHNOLOGY

Comrade L.E.S.S. by The Mad Hatter!

Quote Originally Posted by Viper9090 View Post
    My weirdest nightmare has just been replaced.
    (Recaiden) He lives!
    (Firedaemon33) Ia! Ia! TechnoScrabble F'Taghn!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

12. - Top - End - #492

Thumbs up Re: AtlanteanTroll's Additional Tirade @ Atrocious Threads Random Banter #207

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post
    Don't be fooled by your MOS, friends, if you join the military, you will wind up digging ditches that ultimately turn out to be useless.
    I'll take your word on it PFC Wintergreen.
    TopSecret's First Ever Two Page Tabletop Contest
    If you have any questions, want to talk about the contest entries, or you just want to hang out with cool people, visit our forums.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Banned

I absolutely need to check this thread more. Happy Birthday Skepps! I hope it was very much fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbane View Post
    Happy birthday!
    Thanks! It was fun. :3

14. - Top - End - #494

Assembling a work playlist. I feel like I'm bracing to be hit by a plane. I haven't been employed in a really long time, I'm going "Don't screw up" over and over in my head.

"Flash is fast, Flash is cool. Francois c'est pas, flashe non due."

Seventh Doctor avatar by the too-nice-for-his-own-good Professor Gnoll!

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm trying to figure out whether the word "mattressdog-kennels" is woody or tinny.

16. - Top - End - #496

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I'm trying to figure out whether the word "mattressdog-kennels" is woody or tinny.
    I think it's time for bed.

"Flash is fast, Flash is cool. Francois c'est pas, flashe non due."

Seventh Doctor avatar by the too-nice-for-his-own-good Professor Gnoll!

17. - Top - End - #497
    Troll in the Playground

Belated Birthday wishes to Skeppio. Did you have cake? Also, have you enjoyed work?
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

18. - Top - End - #498
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    Belated Birthday wishes to Skeppio. Did you have cake? Also, have you enjoyed work?
    Thanks!

And no, didn't have cake! I completely forgot about it! Maybe I'll have to have a slice of cake with lunch next work day.

And yes, work is going fine and I'm enjoying it. :3

19. - Top - End - #499
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Thanks!

And no, didn't have cake! I completely forgot about it! Maybe I'll have to have a slice of cake with lunch next work day.

Let me guess, cake was too mainstream for Lord Pretentious?

Happy belated birthday to you and your brother!

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

20. - Top - End - #500
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds like you deserve it!

Good to hear!

ION:
    Today was shaping up to be a really good day. The weather kept warming up toward the thirties, and I've spent most of my day reading up on driving theory out in the sun. Then suddenly all of the sun disappeared (I even got hit by a few drops of rain), and now we've got strong winds and rolling thunder.
    So, a really good day in other words!

Show

21. - Top - End - #501
    Colossus in the Playground

Oh man someone I like is doing a playthrough of Star Control 2. Such a good game. He just got to the Spathi homeworld, and he mentions how absolutely horrifying they are. So true, sooo true.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Ogre in the Playground

*sigh*

Once again, I opened a post window and prepared to post something, and then did some work, and completely forgot what I was going to say. Work is really cramping my Playground posting and Skyrim playing time.

Ah well...I suppose whatever it was will come back to me.

Probably in the middle of the next call when I need to not be posting.
    Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

23. - Top - End - #503
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

A much belated birthday to you, Skepp!

I was away at a convention all weekend. So tired.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Well, I'm only thinking of jogging pace, not really running at full. And as for the heat, that's what you need water for. Yes, you'll be sweating a waterfall, but for as long as you keep replenishing that water, the heat won't actually stop you...
    Ah, a jogging pace is much more manageable. I could attempt that...after I get back in shape again. More push-up and jogs! (Amused is the closest I could find to determined.)

I suppose so, but heat has just always literally made me sick. As in nauseous and dizzy and etc. If I had water I would pour more of it over myself than drinking it. Although that does feel nice, so net bonus there.

Hehehe, yeah, I admit to it sounding professional, but it's more or less this:

(That's from our project, by the way.)

So yeah, professional indeed.
    Ooh such a professional Teddy.

But really, I do wish you well with all your work and I am glad that you seem to enjoy what you are doing. It's a very good thing to have. *hugs*

I see. Well, I hope you find rest amidst all the change, at least!
    I just hope things end up working out. I have two major goals and I really hope these changes don't affect those.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
    *sigh*

Once again, I opened a post window and prepared to post something, and then did some work, and completely forgot what I was going to say. Work is really cramping my Playground posting and Skyrim playing time.

Ah well...I suppose whatever it was will come back to me.

Probably in the middle of the next call when I need to not be posting.
    Yikes. Well I hope the work goes well enough that you are able to get some free time soon. Everyone deserves to enjoy some Skyrim.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ogre in the Playground

Yikes. Well I hope the work goes well enough that you are able to get some free time soon. Everyone deserves to enjoy some Skyrim.
    Well, the Skyrim time will possibly come later tonight. I've just remembered I need to do the application packet for my internship and get my resume updated to show current job. Sooner rather than later. Like I shouldn't have forgotten it over the weekend.
    Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

26. - Top - End - #506
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

It's always good to redo resumes whenever you have new material to add. Makes revisions much easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Titan in the Playground

LaZodiac, Kneenibble, I am watching the series "Twin Peaks" from my youth. From that I have gathered that Canadians all have outrrrageous French accents and smuggle cocaine to the U.S. Why do you do this? Aren't there any other jobs in Canada?

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

28. - Top - End - #508
    Colossus in the Playground

LaZodiac, Kneenibble, I am watching the series "Twin Peaks" from my youth. From that I have gathered that Canadians all have outrrrageous French accents and smuggle cocaine to the U.S. Why do you do this? Aren't there any other jobs in Canada?
    Annie Annie Annie Annie Annie Annie Annie Annie.

Also naw that's just Quebec.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Annie Annie Annie Annie Annie Annie Annie Annie.

Also naw that's just Quebec.
    I'm afraid Twin Peaks takes place in the state of Washington, so Quebec would be far away.

― Tim Fargo

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
    Well, the Skyrim time will possibly come later tonight. I've just remembered I need to do the application packet for my internship and get my resume updated to show current job. Sooner rather than later. Like I shouldn't have forgotten it over the weekend.
    Heh well I wish you the best on it. I need to work on my resume too, thank you for reminding me coincidentally. And I miss playing Skyrim...I'll get to it eventually.

Ooh I've heard a little of that series...what are yours (or anyone who reads this) views on it? I'd like some extra opinions before I try it out.
    Show