New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: As in Days of Yore (IC)

"SHHHH!" comes Branid's reply from behind his door. Then, following a long pause, he continues, a confused tone in his voice, "Druid woman? What Druid--oh, right! Yes, she can come too. Now, SHHHHHH!"

Branid turns back to his spellbook, letting a small bit of arcane power slip from his mind to be replaced by spells more suited to his task. Despite his undisciplined behavior of the night before...and the first few moments of morning, Branid's meditation is focused, clear, and distinct, one of very few things that can hold his attention.
    Spoiler: My Homebrew
    Show

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Town Square execution.

Fistful of Fate character: Aereck Tarrinsen

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Dynadin walked straight into the inn, looking around for a moment to take in whoever might be around to speak to later. With that done, he approached the innkeeper and bowed his head in greeting. "Salutations, I would like take your fair-quality room please." He offered the 5 silver coins for it.
    Spoiler: Sigs about the Internet and Life
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Yeah... even if it's a fairly friendly place by the internet's standards... it's still the internet. A certain level of pedantic bickering is to be expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    The forums can't universally agree that the sun will rise in the east. Disagreement is what we do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacior
    If I can get a pet dinosaur, I totally will. My low wisdom means a raptor looks like a great guard dog.

Awesome Holy Knight Haluesen avatar done by the uber skilled Grinner!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

Dynadin is given the final available small room, and has an uninterupted night of sleep. His room is immediately next to Branid's, so the knocking and shouting almost certainly awaken him the next morning.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Dynadin groaned and sat up in bed, groggily trying to sort out the source of his awakening. "What...whose shouting...and laughing?" He rose from bed in just simple nightclothes still and opened his door just a bit to peak out into the hall in the direction of the commotion.
    Show
    Yeah... even if it's a fairly friendly place by the internet's standards... it's still the internet. A certain level of pedantic bickering is to be expected.
    The forums can't universally agree that the sun will rise in the east. Disagreement is what we do.
    If I can get a pet dinosaur, I totally will. My low wisdom means a raptor looks like a great guard dog.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

Kalscierre and Yronnyn head to Kal's home, above the shop and adjoining the small Guild House. They spend some time catching up, drinking a mulled cider Kal had set aside. Yronnyn, tired from his travels, retires to one of the three small stalls set aside for traveling mages, furnished with a chair, desk, drawer, and bed.

Some time later, well past midnight and perhaps a half-hour from dawn, there is a soft knock on the outside door to Kal's chambers. Kalscierre, a light sleeper by virtue of his elvish blood, is already awake. He opens the door to find Brother Peln, the presiding clergyman from the small chapel just east of town. He wears the chainmaille-and-robe vestments of Danna's priesthood, of black and deep blue fabric with linked rings of silvery-white mithril. Peln is a human of medium height, with a lean, solid frame and a casual air of strength. His face is lined, with a harsh jawline. His dark grey hair is cut above shoulder-length, and swept behind his ears. His eyes are a peculiar golden hue, growing lighter near the pupil, and almost shining in the dim predawn murk.

He asks if Yronnyn had accepted his part in the prophecy. Kal informs the priest of the young man's strong hesitance. They converse. Then they argue. Finally, saying that the wrong person was chosen, and that that can be changed, Brother Peln holds up a gloved hand. The holy symbol of Danna traced in gold leaf, impressed deep into the leather on the glove's palm. He makes a gesture, and intones a swift, sharp set of syllables. Kal freezes in place, perfectly still, and the priest walks past him into the next room, drawing a sword inlaid with gold.

Spoiler: What happens now?
    Show
    Yronnyn can make a listen check (DC 12) to be awake in time to react. Even a result of 8 will be enough to be awake, and thereby avoid potential Coups-de-Grace, but a 12 will be needed to not have a surprise round.
    Last edited by 'Neath the Moon; 2014-08-12 at 12:39 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Finally, Branid comes out of his meditative reading mind, and returns to his normal, hyperactive self. He bursts through his door and rushes down the hall and the stairs and nearly slams into a table in his eagerness.

"Let's get going!" he shouts as he looks around for the three interesting companions he had found the night before.
    Show

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Town Square execution.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Dynadin saw someone move very quickly past him down the hall and into the bar from the room next to him and was even more puzzled. "This is...certainly rather strange." he commented to the hall, still fairly groggy from the surprising wake up. Curious about this person's odd behavior, Dynadin returned to his room and gathered his things, armor attached to his pack so he could walk in some normal clothing. After maybe 5 minutes of preparation, he went down after the other man.

Once down there he looked around for a moment, as he had only gotten a brief glimpse of the person who dashed past him in the hallway. Of course once he heard a person speaking pretty loudly and enthusiastically and connected that to the bit of appearance he got before, Dynadin knew he found him. "Greetings sir." Dynadin spoke as he approached him, going with polite but somewhat confused.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Branid turns at the sound of a voice behind him. "Hello indeed, sir. Have you happened to have seen my three companions? There was a man and a woman, and a halfling man with a clever wit." He smiles at the man who addressed him, his green eyes twinkling.
    Show

Town Square execution.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Dynadin tapped his chin as he thought for a moment, "Well I have not seen any halflings recently, as for a man or woman...could you perhaps describe them? I recently met a woman in the wilderness, an elf with a bear at her side in the woods. Aside from her I have not spoken to many people in the village, but I can attempt to help you in searching."
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

The Rodericks descend the stairs, their haversacks slung over their shoulders. The dark traveler's cloaks they wear are pulled back, revealing fully the longswords belted at their hips. In addition, both now wear a glimmering chainshirt over their red-brown leathern tunics, and each is carrying a sturdy ashwood walking-stick shod in well-worn brass.

Corwin says, 'Alright then, let's get on with this fool's errand. Heh. Literally, I suppose. Say, where is that jester anyhow?'

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

"Well, they seemed like tra--oh!" Branid begins to describe the Rodericks to Dynadin before seeing them come down the stairs. "There they are right now."

He turns to the newcomers and smiles at them. "Hello, and good morning. Unfortunately I have not caught sight of our jester for about an hour. While we're waiting, though, I do not believe we were properly introduced last night. I am Branid Thiwen, a seeker of the sevenfold veil," he says with a sweeping bow. "And what shall I call you?"

Before the Rodericks can even answer, Branid addresses Dynadin again. "Oh, I'm sorry. I should have asked for your name, as well."
    Show

Town Square execution.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Firbolg in the Playground

MindFlayer

There was a clattering of cutlery on a dish and the sound of a few coins being dropped on the counter as the jingling jester emerged from the dining area.
    "My word, there you are. Grab second breakfast while you can, I was starving this morning. Waking up early leaves one with quite an appetite. More hours in the day and all that."
    Yorick glanced around the growing company, nodding at the Rodericks, not giving Branid much of a look, and pausing at Dynadin.
    "Huh, there's another. You're...you're not also interested in the-I mean, you look like a strong man, aren't you? A warrior of a high caliber. I'm sure a guy like you's got lots to do, maidens to save, wars to fight and battles to win, eh? What brings you passing through this little town of local color and little interest and certainly no treasure or prestige which by all means doesn't need another share to be meted out?"

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

Isobella chimes in, giddily, 'Oh, we don't need any treasure, and I don't think prestige gets "meted out." I say the more the merrier! Now come on! Adventure! We'll explain who we are and what we're doing on the way!'

The young half-elf seems quite enthusiastic about the prospect of adventure.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Dynadin looked at the group as they spoke and addressed him and took it in stride, deciding to respond to them one thing at a time. First he bowed his head in greeting to Branid, "I am Dynadin Halsever, a knight in training of sorts." Since this tied into the jester's questions he then turned to face him, smiling politely. "But I don't have much of a name as a knight yet, that's why I've traveled here in fact. I figure I look for how to aid people in such a small locale, perhaps that will lead to me being able to take up noble and larger deeds. You were right about me being a warrior though." After the little information he gave he looked at the two others. "I suppose I simply saw a bit of strange activity" speaking of how Branid had rushed through the halls, "and wished to see what was going on. I do not want to intrude upon whatever plans you may have, but if there is any way my strength or other talents can be of use, I am glad to offer them."
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

"I'm sure you could help us," Branid replies cheerfully. "The more, the merrier, I always say."
    Show

Town Square execution.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Firbolg in the Playground

MindFlayer

"Of course, of course! The more the merrier! Two's a party, three-to-five's an adventuring party! Oh, pray, I hope you didn't mistake my hesitation to waste the time of a noble knight such as yourself as trepidation, but instead I only think myself unworthy to call a warrior, a magical scholar, and those of gentle birth my allies and peers in the field."
    Yorick bowed, his mouth a thin line.
    "Now, scholar, you received word from supposedly the court itself inviting you, did you not? Though it's advantageous that we have the proverbial shoe-in-the-door, perhaps it would be prudent to speak with the Druidic woman as we were advised last night, lest we stumble into something and find ourselves in deeper and more dire straits than we might hope. I defer to my betters as to our course of action. Time does not seem to be of the essence, I daresay?"

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Dynadin smiled and bowed his head again to them. "Very well then. As your companion said, you can explain on the way. I shall return shortly." He motioned to the armor on his back as explanation and went upstairs to his room where he outfitted himself. Once he was ready with armor, sword at his side and bow on his back, he returned his room key to the bartender with a thank you and went to rejoin the group.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

"Excellent! Now, if we're moving on to business," Branid begins as he holds open the door of the inn for his new allies. "I woke up this morning from a terrible dream, involving a giant mosquito and a swamp." He pauses, thoughtfully.

"Although, I suppose, if I'd just taken some time, I might have been able to see some pretty amazing sights in that dream..." Branid trails off for a moment, his face pensive.

"Huh? What was I saying? Oh, right! Anyway, my room was covered completely in mud, floor to ceiling. I would have thought it was just some sort of prank, but when I read this..." he trails off again as he rummages around in his pack. "Where is it? I know I had it in here somewhere. Aha!" he says excitedly as he produces a small slip of paper on which is scrawled a hastily written copy of the message on his wall that morning.

"This was written on my wall! Don't you see?! I've been summoned to the court of the fey! Perhaps not on the most friendly of terms, but still! It's a summons, right there!" Branid beams at each of his companions, his chest puffed out in pride.
    Show

Town Square execution.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Dynadin walked out with the group of people and looked over the note dubiously. "It is a bit of a hostile invitation..." He spoke calmly then looked to Branid, assuming of course that someone here was leading them. "And do you know how to find the court then?"
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Branid's smile barely wavers. "Not really, though I have some sense of the direction it would probably be. I think. Anyway, as it was originally the goal of our endeavor, we should probably find this druid woman."
    Show

Town Square execution.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

The group, now numbering five, makes its way through gate and greenery to the home of Ambarnor. A thin line of smoke rises swiftly from the chimney into the overcast sky, slightly diagonal from the rising breeze. The druid, wearing now a thick grey canvas cassock and a brown leather apron, is working in the garden with a shovel, her back to the prospective adventurers. In the woods a dozen yards or so away, the bear looms. Its gaze is fixed on the party, and its posture--while not overtly threatening--is certainly cautious.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

While silent for most of the walk, Dynadin quickly spoke up when they approached the home in the woods. "Wait so this is the druid woman you meant? Small world." He looked over at the bear and waved his hand in greeting, smiling calmly.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Branid gives Dynadin a quizzical look. "Have you met her before?"
    Show

Town Square execution.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The stoic knight nodded and was silent for a moment as he regarded the bear. But he did eventually decide to explain himself. "Indeed, yesterday in fact. She aided me in slaying a fierce boar and gave me some medical attention as well sustained from injuries in said fight. She did say I was welcome to come around again, I had not expected it so soon though." he chuckled softly to himself.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

"Oh, how marvelous," Branid beams at the knight. He turns back to the cottage and yells a greeting. "Hello! Are you the druid who looks after this forest?"
    Show

Town Square execution.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

Ambarnor turns partway around, the old burn on her cheek silvery in the morning light. She leans upon her shovel and says, 'That I am. Ambarnor's the name, though I'm just "the Druid" to most,' she begins to walk over along one of the loose-cobbled paths through the garden. She inclines her head to Dynadin, 'Warrior, we meet again. How are you recovering?'

Behind, the bear has relaxed.

---

Last night, at Kal's Wand Shop:

Yronnyn is awakened by the furious slam of the door as Brother Peln charges in. The long, gilded blade strikes the warlock in the side, wounding him.

Spoiler: Again
    Show
    Same deal as before: if Razorfloss posts, he can take it from here. Otherwise, I'll play this out a bit.
    Last edited by 'Neath the Moon; 2014-09-06 at 12:45 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Dynadin bowed to her and smiled in greeting. "Rather well thank you. And if possible I would prefer Knight to Warrior, or Dynadin if you wish. Simply a preference." He looked to the other 4 in the group. "The same to you all if you wish."
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

'Ah, of course. What brings you back so soon, Sir Knight?' She beckons to the group, and heads down a garden path, removing the heavy gardening apron.

You arrive at a sward of grass and clover with a circle of crude chairs cut out of tree-stumps in its center. A bee flies by, heading to a clover blossom.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Well this one does actually." Dynadin spoke and motioned over to Branid. "He has reason to speak to you and offered my assistance to him and his group here." He kept his eyes on Branid while describing his part in this situation.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

"Thank you, my new friend," Branid says and bows politely as Dynadin gestures to him. "My name is Branid Thiwen, Seeker of the Sevenfold Veil, and I am wondering if you can tell me anything about this," Branid courteously states as he produces the note from his pocket.

Then he looks at the paper in his hand and his face turns slightly red. "Oh, that's not right." Branid stuffs the note in his backpack and rummages around in it for a few moments. "Man! I literally just had it! Where did it go?" Finally he pulls out the scrap of paper, holds it to the light, and then hands it to Ambarnor with an embarrassed, "This one, actually."
    Show

Town Square execution.