New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: As in Days of Yore (IC)

Ambarnor reads through the note, frowning slightly. 'It would really be wiser to leave, rather than to go into the halls of the Old Fey. You don't know who these people are, do you?' She settles into one of the chairs, 'Rhiannon, and her half-brother Owain, are two of the last of the Seelie Court. Their people brought themselves to ruin just to take the Unseelie Court with them, and these two are as ruthless as any of their kind ever were. They delight in games, and in punishing people for breaking rules that come and go at their whims. These are not some petty warlords with delusions of regality. These are beautiful and vicious monsters, who make you think they are kings... or gods.'

Spoiler: Repost of the Note
    Show
    So rude. To come to my doorstep, take from my hall, and not even announce your presence? Leave this town now, or come to my halls if you will. You know the way. -Rhiannon
    Last edited by 'Neath the Moon; 2014-09-10 at 10:13 PM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

"Oh." Finally, Branid feels the gravity of the situation, coming down from the thrill of discovery of the previous day.

"That certainly puts a bit of damper on the idea. What do you think we should do? If Rhiannon is as dangerous as you say, would she even let us leave the town at all? Especially after I've apparently 'taken from her hall'."
    Spoiler: My Homebrew
    Show

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Town Square execution.

Fistful of Fate character: Aereck Tarrinsen

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Dynadin took in the information and looked to Branid, speaking up once more. "It seems you have little choice but to speak to her. Attempting to go might anger her more." He adjusted his bow on his back before he went on. "Either way I still offer my assistance, though the quest seems now more like protection than exploration."
    Spoiler: Sigs about the Internet and Life
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Yeah... even if it's a fairly friendly place by the internet's standards... it's still the internet. A certain level of pedantic bickering is to be expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    The forums can't universally agree that the sun will rise in the east. Disagreement is what we do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacior
    If I can get a pet dinosaur, I totally will. My low wisdom means a raptor looks like a great guard dog.

Awesome Holy Knight Haluesen avatar done by the uber skilled Grinner!

4. - Top - End - #94
    Orc in the Playground

'She would let you leave. One thing the Old Fey cannot do is lie or break their word, even in writing, or by proxy. If the message is indeed from her, and says you can leave, you can leave. What would happen if you ever came back, though, I'd rather not consider.' Ambarnor pauses, and leans back in her seat. The wind stirs slightly, flicking a few strands of her hair up in a little dance. As they settle again, she continues, 'If you're going, you should know a bit of what to expect.

Firstly, remember your manners; while they don't have any codified rules of etiquette, they will take direct rudeness as a deep insult, and respond appropriately.
    Secondly, they will invite you to a game; this varies depending on who's playing, but it always involves confronting yourself in some way; intellectually, spiritually, sometimes even physically.
    Thirdly and finally, know that in their domains the Old Fey are sovereign. The world bends at their whim, and they are like to great spirits or lesser deities. The cavern with the pool and gems is the threshold. For all this, though, they use their power only when they truly deem it necessary.

Is there anything else you need to know?'

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Branid looks sideways at the druid. "Just one more thing," he says. "Can they be defeated?"
    Show

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Town Square execution.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Orc in the Playground

A light drizzle has begun, and the light fog disperses beneath it. 'Anything can be defeated,' says Ambarnor, ignoring the rain, 'Realistically, though, no. Not directly, at least. If they challenge you to a game, though, or you them, then you'll have a chance. Just remember, with the Fey, nothing is quite as it seems... until you find that it is.'

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Dynadin held a hand up to the rain for a moment while they continued their conversation. At the mention of games he looked to Branid again. "It seems to be a risky task either way. But you're calling the shots here. Worth the risk sir?" Stuff like super-powerful fey and spiritual confrontation was quite a bit over Dynadin's head, but he saw no reason that any of that should dissuade them from Branid's original goal.
    Show
    Yeah... even if it's a fairly friendly place by the internet's standards... it's still the internet. A certain level of pedantic bickering is to be expected.
    The forums can't universally agree that the sun will rise in the east. Disagreement is what we do.
    If I can get a pet dinosaur, I totally will. My low wisdom means a raptor looks like a great guard dog.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Branid puffs up a little when Dynadin calls him "sir" and smiles mischievously. "The greater the risk, the greater the reward, I always say. Let's do it!"
    Show

Town Square execution.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Orc in the Playground

The group parts ways with Ambarnor, and the rain goes from a drizzle to a torrent. After about ten minutes of walking, it slows again and the clouds part slightly. The sun shines in, and by the time the group reaches the mine entrance it is clear. A rainbow hangs in the sky.

The main entrance to the mines is a squared-off hole about seven feet high by five feet wide, set into the greenish stone of the dell. An old wooden door, mossy and moldering and fitted with a simple iron latch that can be opened from either side, fills the entrance.
    Spoiler: Pressing on?
    Show
    If there's anything you'd like to do before heading in, do so now. If nobody posts in a day or two, or you only post to enter the mines, I'll just move along to inside the cavern.
    Last edited by 'Neath the Moon; 2014-09-24 at 08:32 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Branid beams a wide smile looking at the rainbow as he shakes out his cloak for the third time and casts a simple cantrip to dry off the contents of his backpack.

"That is how I know we will succeed in our mission," he says to the others, a look of awestruck, childish wonder in his eyes. "When the downpour of life is banished by the beauty of light, luck is on our side. Now come on!" He bounds forward excitedly and tugs open the door with some considerable effort before ushering his companions inside.
    Show

Town Square execution.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Dynadin fixed his own pack and removed his hood as they approached the mine, though he still felt drenched. He looked up at the sky as the rain ended and gave a little shrug. "Rain and sun. I see no omens in them. This quest will be won by our determination and drive though, of this I'm certain." The stoic knight helped Branid with the door when he could, lending his own considerable strength, then walked into the place with much curiosity.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102
    Orc in the Playground

The mines are mostly boring and dark to start out with. The passages are fairly straight, with occasional thick wood beams to reinforce the tunnel. There are tool marks on the walls, and one larger chamber with old benches and tables where the miners presumably rested or ate.

Further in, the ground slopes slightly downward and the walls get wet. The beams are moldering here, and many of them sport pale blue mushrooms with bulbous caps and slender stalks. The map soon leads you to the place where the mines meet the underground stream, and down that tunnel to the Cavern of Gems.

Spoiler: Actions?
    Show
    Basically the same as last time. If you wanted to do anything along the way, post it, otherwise I'll just assume you go straight to the chamber with the glowing crystals in it.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Dynadin followed along behind Branid since he had the map, but he definitely kept close with his eyes open. He was very cautious about a mine like this, and kept scanning around for anything that stood out, hand near his sword. "So, how far into this place do you think we need to go?" He addressed whoever had information about this.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

"I think past the crystal cavern," Branid responds cheerfully. "The message said I knew the way, and that I had come to her threshold, so it's probably not much further than that."

As he looks behind him to talk to Dynadin, Branid nearly collides with a wall, but moves out of the way barely in time. He chuckles.
    Show

Town Square execution.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground

A glimmering in the darkness not far ahead indicates that you near the crystal cavern. A minute later, the five travelers hop down from the short ledge and stand basking in the myriad spectral lights. The Rodericks lean on their walking-sticks, and stand in silent awe.

At the back of the chamber, the two passages still loom darkly.

Spoiler: Description of the chamber, repost
    Show

What I posted earlier, describing the crystal cavern/entrance hall:

The lights of the crystals glimmers in the dark, and as Branid enters, the light he carries is reflected and amplified, making each crystal shine with white light. The chamber contains a small pool at the end of the little gully with small shining pebbles beneath its surface. Even the normal stone seems to catch bits of light and send it forth in a dim sparkle. There appear to be two tunnels on the other side of the pool.
    And a repost of the image:
    Spoiler: Chamber of Crystals
    Show

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

The wizard catches his breath as they enter the brightly lit cave. Despite this being his second time seeing it, he is still just as awestruck as before. He points to the right tunnel at the back of cave.

"I was intending to follow that tunnel last time, but I decided to rest up in town before starting any deep exploration. It seems as good an option as the other."
    Show

Town Square execution.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Orc in the Playground

Corwin raises a hand and says, 'Wait a moment... look.' He incants a few lines from a slow, sad song in a forgotten Elfish dialect*, moving his hand in time with the tune. Three shimmering orbs of silvery light appear; one in each tunnel entrance and one behind the group. The new light's arcane origin seems to set the crystals ablaze with colors.

Spoiler: *
    Show
    Ambarnor, I just noticed, also used an ancient form of Elven. That's not the only language used for spells, but it is a popular one, especially among elves and the poetically inclined. Since Corwin's a bard, he counts as the latter.

Now that the two passages are lit, you can see pictographs on the cave walls. As fairly accomplished adventurers, you likely already know something of this sort of petroglyph; they are common throughout Eord, and likely (the archaeologically savvy will know) the work of the indigenous humans of the island. Some study by a historian of some sort might reveal more.

Spoiler: Image of the Entrance to one of the Tunnels
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Branid steps forward to examine the glyphs, squinting in the light, trying to decipher a meaning and find some insight toward their task.

Spoiler: Mechanical
    Show
    Throwing a check for every knowledge I've got, plus a decipher script
    Knowledge (Arcana) (1d20+11)[24]
    Knowledge (Nature) (1d20+11)[31]
    Knowledge (the Planes) (1d20+11)[12]
    Knowledge (Religion) (1d20+10)[16]
    Decipher Script (1d20+4)[8]
    Show

Town Square execution.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Dynadin covered his face for a moment at the assault of bright lights, only allowing himself to look around once he could handle the vibrant colors. He glanced around a while and nodded appreciatively. "It is very lovely indeed." There wasn't a lot more he could say about this place. So he looked at the two entrances before him, having to hold up a hand so the glowing orb didn't impair him very much, and walked partly into the entrance of the right tunnel. "This is the way you intended to head then. While you're looking into those writings then, I'll stand watch this way. Maybe I'll notice something important."

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Making Listen and Spot checks down this way to notice anything worthwhile.
    Listen= (1d20+8)[14]
    Spot= (1d20+2)[19]
    Show