New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Well That was Unexpected Thread III: I Throw Comics at the Wall, You See What Sti

Ah, the most bizarre arc in WTWU gets another callback. (cavalieredraghi - read the archives from... like, Comic 506 to Comic 540).

If the Custodes weren't already awesome, Ser's rant against coffee would have probably single-handedly propelled him high in my favorite characters list. Except then he had to go and ask for another one. Grumble.

I really like Marnia's outfit here. It's very swashbuckly.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Well That was Unexpected Thread III: I Throw Comics at the Wall, You See What Sti

Oh, Lord Perior. How I've missed your smug superiority.

I'll take this opportunity to repeat, that I consider the "Pokemon saga" your best work in this comic in terms of humour and ridiculousness.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm partial to the previous chapter, personally. The way a sabotaged dinner date escalates into a fight against a Chaos God so quickly is just hilarious to me, plus I think Khorne is probably the second best character i've ever written both in humor and in depth (#1 being a D&D character.)

And...uhh...what should I call this comic? I'll come up with something when I add it to the archive three months from now. It has Major Powers in it.

Spoiler: Unnecessary disclaimers
    Show

All characters depicted in the previous comic are properties of their respective owners and are used for parody purposes only. No malice or distaste is intended or implied. Seriously, I hold nothing against any of the characters depicted, they're all fine characters, though Rey from The Force Awakens is a total Mary-Sue.

And Haitus begins now! Ends...whenever I say it does!

Questions? Comments? Critique?
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

...is that guy in the second row supposed to look like a pole?

Edit: This looks a little quippier than I meant it to, so I should clarify that it's actually a real question. At first I was thinking that it was just a case of people in this art style looking odd in side profile, but then I also wondered if it was meant to be another gag about just how sucky the Imperial Guard is.
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2016-01-27 at 12:04 AM.
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

5. - Top - End - #545

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    ...is that guy in the second row supposed to look like a pole?

Edit: This looks a little quippier than I meant it to, so I should clarify that it's actually a real question. At first I was thinking that it was just a case of people in this art style looking odd in side profile, but then I also wondered if it was meant to be another gag about just how sucky the Imperial Guard is.
    The art style is still a work-in-progress. I forgot to mention there'll be some changes between now and Comic 798, mainly in regards to humanoid torso shapes (I want to define shoulders a bit more) and humanoid heads (let's be honest the proportions are kind of a mess.)

6. - Top - End - #546

So i'm experimenting with a few art style tweaks. I've made some changes, i'd like to get feedback. It's not like the transition from OotS to a completely new art style, but it's some changes I think are worth making.

Humanoid faces are larger in porportion to their head. Their eyes are now approximately the size of the lizard heads to be able to keep their expressiveness similar. Torsos were adjusted around the shoulders to make them slightly more prominent. Most notably, necks have been narrowed. Lizard snouts have been changed, made to be more visually compact. Finally, the Custodes body has been changed, made to be more 'barrel-chested' with a bulkier and wider chestpiece. Ser's helmet was also due for some adjustments as well.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2016-01-27 at 11:36 PM.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm definitely in favor of the smaller reptilian snouts. As I think I commented when I first started seeing the new art style, the old ones almost seemed more dolphin-person than lizard-person. They're also a little closer to the OOTS-style reptile head.

The altered humans are also an improvement, although I'm not sure if they'll do anything to resolve the issue with them looking really weird in full side profile.

Can't really see the difference on Ser there at all, though.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #548
    Titan in the Playground

They look a little weird, but they don't really bother me.

Except for Ser's new collar. I just... why? D= That thing going over his mouth just... ugh
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

9. - Top - End - #549

Well among other things I tilted Ser's gorget (the collar thing) to give the chestpiece more depth and shape. I also raised its edge, but apparently that's not popular. You'd hate Space Marine Mark VIII Errant armor

New iteration!

I figured nothing's really gonna improve much if I just try and improve things by tweaking them. I agree, there is 'wierdness' but it's almost exclusively on Torn and Kayl. Their heads just don't look good, even if the porportions are improved. So I redrew them almost completely from scratch. Torn's might still need some work but I am EXTREMELY happy how Kayl came out! Rand didn't need much besides to attach a head to a body. Slightly rounded the end of his snout, and made a few minor tweaks to the body to further emphasize his hunched-over posture. No change to Marnia, like...at all. Ser's gorget has been shortened.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm afraid this one strikes me as kind of a step backwards. Torn just looks bizarre - I'd have to take some time to consider an exact reason why, but he barely even looks like the same character. (On the other hand, Kaylethia does, and I like the new hairstyle, though part of me thinks it should be introduced as a new hairstyle rather than retconned in).

I don't really like Rand's posture getting worse eother, but apparently that's intentional, so I'm not sure it's a meaningful issue.

I have to say, though, I don't see the problem with Ser's gorget at all. I can spot the difference now, but it doesn't bother me.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #551

On the plus side, that's why i'm posting my changes on this thread! Nothing has to be perfect!

Torn: Redrew head from scratch. Softer corners. Slightly wider upper body.
    Kayl: Hair changed to resemble older style. No further changes.
    Rand: Lessened the hunched-over look
    Marnia: No changes, not present.
    Ser: No changes, not present.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Pixie in the Playground

furious Re: Well That was Unexpected Thread III: I Throw Comics at the Wall, You See What Sti

Some links are damaged in Chapter 7: A Final Peace

13. - Top - End - #553

Quote Originally Posted by mame View Post
    Some links are damaged in Chapter 7: A Final Peace
    Which comics specifically?

14. - Top - End - #554
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Photobucket in general claims it's down for maintenance, but apart from that the only ones I see a problem with are 329 and 339, which have never worked for me (since all of the old comics hosted on Imageshack are long gone).
    Show

15. - Top - End - #555

I think I have a means to recover some of the missing comics. Nothing yet, but we'll see how it pans out sooner rather than later.

In the meantime...

Powers: Added to the iteration list. Redrawn head.
    Torn: Minor adjustments to the head
    Kayl and Rand: No changes

16. - Top - End - #556
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yes! Powers is short again!

Though the way the front of his hair sticks out like that looks a little weird.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #557

I know Torn always had that haircut, but for some reason it now looks very weird. And Powers looks a little too small. His head is the size of his torso.

18. - Top - End - #558

Hmm, mixed reviews. I'll experiment.

Also, Good News! I was able to scavenge almost every comic as old as Comic 103 onto my current computer which means, yes, Comic 329 and Comic 339 in all their old-school WTwU glory are back, and added back to the archives! This time hosted on the insanely-far-more-reliable postimage.org!

edit: Just combed through the archives and re-listed all the comics hosted (I use the term 'hosted' VERY loosely) on Imageshack. Comics 286, 283, 281, 280, 276, 275, 274, 264, 262, 250, and 245 are up.

edit 2: Archives updated in totality! For real this time!
    Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2016-01-31 at 03:15 PM.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Neat! I'd managed to find some of those on Photobucket, but there's comics in there I'd never seen before. Though I am a bit saddened to learn now that the random lolspeak-speaking Tau from early on apparently died in Comic 250.

And I agree with Keios that Torn's hairstyle looks kind of goofy when not in OOTS style. But I'm not sure there's anything that can be done about it, because that kind of hairstyle is just goofy-looking period.

Edit: Looking at the archives again, Comic 334 in Chapter 7 is also on Imageshack and missing. I missed it when I looked before.
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2016-01-31 at 04:33 PM.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #560

Would you believe me if I said in the batch of old comics I was able to recover, that a 4-comic gap from 333 to 336 was not among them? What I suspect happened was that my computer was on the fritz at that time, and I made comics on a different computer.

Anyways, NEW ITERATION!!

Xeno: Restyled in my art style, based on Torn's body.
    Unless there's popular demand, I will not be using this in the comic, by the way. It was more of a personal challenge than a serious redrawing. Also, Valentine's Day is coming up!
    Torn: Shortened the height of his hair and made it stick forward less
    Powers: Shortened the length of the hair sprig
    Marnia: Created three head rotations in the new style. Forward-facing wasn't included because of how freaking simple it is to update it

Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2016-02-02 at 01:24 AM.

21. - Top - End - #561

Torn looks better, don't really see any problems with him.
    Powers is growing on me (), so I think it would be a matter of time.
    Xeno looks really good, it's the first time his mouth mutilation made me think "gross" and "holy ****". It never had any effect on me before.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Xeno looks both hilarious and disturbing, which is awfully appropriate. I wouldn't want this to be his permanent appearance, though - the Madness style version is too much "him" in my mind now.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #563

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Xeno looks both hilarious and disturbing, which is awfully appropriate. I wouldn't want this to be his permanent appearance, though - the Madness style version is too much "him" in my mind now.
    Give it a hundred comics, you simply will NOT be able to look at Xeno in the Madness style! Seriously though, no plans to draw him in non-Madness style. That's how he is and that won't likely change. However I AM considering updating his design a bit.

In the meantime, I did something else. Drawing some new characters who probably will not be seen in the comic ever again unless I have need of templates when I want to make the next Shouting Sapient joke.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

...who are they? That's an Eternus Praetorian in the middle and the one on the right is a member of Rand's race, so I assume they're not just avatar designs you drew for somebody or something.

Feedback? Well, the poses all look sort of oddly stylized, honestly.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #565

They aren't anyone, just designs I slapped together to try drawing poses in the updated art style rather than just basic standing poses.

Speaking of basic standing poses...

Xeno: Played around with the size of his missing-jaws wound, adjusted a few shapes around his helmet and the comms thingie on his ear.
    Apprentice: Changed his robes to use slightly brighter colors, redrawn head.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I don't think I like the Apprentice this way. He was creepier with the skull-like face, and the bright green robe looks odd after the washed-out version he's worn up until now.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #567

I agree that The Apprentice looked a lot better in his previous design. Did his "wings" always look like that? They look so...uninteresting? Plain? But I'm unsure if it's a new design or it's just my memory. I'll try to find previous appearances of him and I'll get back to you on that.

EDIT: Alrighty then. I can say that I liked his wings a lot better before, both in the previous art style (looking at Birthday Special 2, first instance I found) and his recent brief appearance on strip 747.
    Last edited by Keios; 2016-02-11 at 11:18 PM.

28. - Top - End - #568

I'll make some adjustments. In the meantime i'll assume the changes to Xeno's design are acceptable.

In the meantime, Valentine's Day is tomorrow, so you know what that means! I've made some cards for you to share with your Special Somepony so you can let them know just how you feel in the only way an insanely obscure webcomic that's been running for way too long can!

29. - Top - End - #569
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Hmmm. I'm not sure if Xeno is more or less disturbing in side profile than face-on.

Regarding the Apprentice, I think the problem with his wings is that they lost the bone-joint things, so now they just look kind of metallic, which isn't as interesting.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #570

And...new iteration!

I redrew the wings. They have the same basic shape but its components were made to be more distinctly bone-like. I'm happier with this. I also adjusted his face shape to give a more gaunt appearance while changing the shape of his eyes so as to appear more "sad." Finally, I shrunk his pupils/irises to make the black in his eyes more noticeable.

And here is a comparison of older templates and new templates for you all to make comparisons to. Old on bottom, new on top.