New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Homebrew Testing: the Twisted Spire Group 1 (IC)

To start you off: You have been hired by an Ian Turbrand, a prominent and leading citizen of Kingsholm, to recover the bones of the Forgotten King, a half legendary figure prophesied to return from the dead to save the kingdom in an hour of great need. Ian is afraid that if his bones are not returned the prophecy of the king's return cannot be fulfilled. Recently a group of Yuan-ti, led by a sorcerer named Xerous, fought adventurers while trying to steal these bones and the items interred with him. While Xerous and his men were defeated, the King's bones were stolen soon after, and Ian suspects a survivor from Xerous's forces, or a member of the Vanguard of Sertrous that Xerous was working for. A tunnel has been found in the Kingsholm graveyard that was not there before and is thought to be the path that the thief took.

Entering the Tunnel: Lightless space gives way to your illumination, revealing a restricted, steeply sloping tunnel that is maybe 5 feet wide and 7 feet tall. Posts of green wood hold up the walls. The air is damp, stinking with rot. How far the tunnel penetrates to the south is lost to darkness.

Spoiler: Dwarf, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +5, or Profession (Miner) +5
    Show
    This tunnel was rapidly and rudely dug in the last month by someone using a combination of picks and magic. In fact, it has the look of an exploratory shaft sunk into the earth to locate valuable minerals.

As you continue down the tunnel the air seems to pulse ahead, bringing with it a scent like that which precedes the storm. The tunnel continues a little further into the darkness.

Spoiler: Spellcraft or Intelligence DC 20
    Show
    A concentration of earth power lies ahead.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Homebrew Testing: the Twisted Spire Group 1 (IC)

int - (1d20)[1]
    Prince Tindamel will walk cautiously in the middle of the group, his bow at the ready, shield on his back. He is careful to not stray far from the light. Strange smells often mean trouble. Uneasy, but careful not to lose his head. He chuckles a bit at his unintentional pun. He whispers "On your toes everybody. Could be trouble ahead."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    What are we doing for illumination. Near as I can tell, two of us have 60ft dark vision, but me and Techwarrior require a light source, despite our lowlight vision. Dancing lights would only last a minute...anybody have a way to make light?
    Last edited by Beelzebub1111; 2014-02-23 at 02:41 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

"Duly noted." Asok-ver replies as he begins to advance with quiet steps. "I'll scout ahead a little bit, just to see if we may have company." As he goes down the tunnel he lowers his head and slouches over. "And hopefully find some more space."

Spoiler
    Show
    Intelligence:(1d20+1)[19]
    Move Silently:(1d20+8)[23]
    Hide:(1d20-2)[12]
    Spot:(1d20+5)[10]
    Listen:(1d20+3)[6]
    Last edited by JerichoPenumbra; 2014-02-24 at 08:56 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters:
    Inactive:

Homebrew I'm using:

Awesome Varsuvius Avatar by Elagune

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Continuing down the tunnel the roughly hewn tunnel widens into a terrace, at least 20 feet wide and long, with a ceiling rising to 8 or 10 feet. The porch has
    no far wall, instead opening into a great, echoing hollow. This close to the cavernous rift, the air seems charged as if a great storm is imminent. The walls of the opening ascend and descend, moving closer together as they rise into darkness, forming a wider space as they go downward. Two humanoid forms lie unmoving near where the terrace drops off into the hollow.

Spoiler: Spellcraft or Int DC 20
    Show
    You are entering an earthnode. A concentration of earth energy. The node proper would probably be at the bottom of the shaft.

Spoiler: Search or Survival DC 20
    Show
    There are tracks as if from a medium sized creature in boots in the dust by the ledge.

Spoiler: With Track or Scent
    Show
    The tracks seem to lead off the terrace.

Current Projects:

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Darya looks about and notices nothing remarkable but looks to the others expectantly, wondering if they might have any insight on the matter.

Spoiler
    Show
    Intelligence check (1d20+1)[4]
    Survival Check (1d20+3)[15]
    Last edited by Rendel Nep; 2014-02-25 at 04:57 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Int - (1d20)[6]
    Search - (1d20+2)[12]

Tindamel apporaches the bodies cautiously, still pointing his bow at them "Cover my back"
    Last edited by Beelzebub1111; 2014-02-25 at 05:33 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

"There's a presence in the air here: the power of the earth. There's probably an earth node at the bottom of the shaft here. Otherwise it's hidden somewhere close."

Jacind is tall for a man, and slight of frame. He wears a brown tunic over mail, and carries a bullseye lantern in one hand, and a loaded sling in the other. He has a sword at his side and a spear on his back.

Jacind takes 10 on Spellcraft to beat the first spoilered section's DC (+11 mod)

8. - Top - End - #8

BardGuy

Is that bad? Darya asks hesitantly.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: The bodies
    Show
    One is a statue of a wide-eyed goblin girl lying atop a dead halfling in purple robes. The halfling still holds in his hand a note with something written on it in an unfamiliar language. 2 large, empty bags lay beside him.

Spoiler: Heal DC 15
    Show
    The halfling was shot with multiple arrows, now removed, and his face was bitten by multiple tiny fanged creatures.

Current Projects:

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Not even going to try that check

Tindamel leans over the bodies, He takes the note, giving it a look over then puts it in his belt pouch. Looking at the statue "Well, That's not good..." He stands up and walks over to the chasm. Putting his bow into his quiver he pulls out a torch and lights it. After a quick look around ensuring nothing has snuck up behind the party he'll drop the torch down the Hollow to try and estimate how deep it is.
    Last edited by Beelzebub1111; 2014-03-01 at 03:44 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

The torch falls for about 150-ft.

Current Projects:

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Jacind looks at the two dead. He doesn't spare much time trying to identify their cause of death, he knows next to nothing of such things. He takes the note and glances at it, trying to decipher the writing.

May your next life be better than this one.

If Jacind can't decipher the note he offers it to the others.

Spoiler
    Show
    Heal check (1d20-1)[15]
    Jacind knows Undercommon, Common, Draconic, and Abyssal.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

The language does not seem to be any of those four, nor is it elven or xeph nor n'mak or giant.

Current Projects:

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

"It's not a good sign, but it doesn't necessitate something bad. I'm more worried about this."

Jacind points out the arrows and snake bites on the halfling.

"Those are snake bites, I certainly wouldn't want a faceful of that."

Spoiler
    Show
    I suspect that this is the work of a Medusa, but I'm not sure if my character has enough information here to guess that. Can I roll Knowledge (Nature), the skill relevant to identifying a Medusa, to see if Jacind recognizes the arrows, petrification, and snake bites as part of a typical Medusa's tactics?

If so, Knowledge (Nature) (1d20+4)[12] +5 more if I can use Collector of Stories.

Edit: Oh, and I finished updating my sheet.

Edit 2: What does Jacind know about Earth Nodes?
    Last edited by Techwarrior; 2014-03-02 at 02:32 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

"Then let us not linger here." He looks over the hollow down at the fallen torch "It looks like down might be the only way. We should start looking for a path down, I don't think a rope is going to reach."

EDIT:Does the note share an alphabet with any of our languages known? It might help us identify what language it is even if we can't read it.
    Last edited by Beelzebub1111; 2014-03-02 at 10:22 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

The wounds are in keeping with medusa tactics.

The note's alphabet is unfamiliar, the letters sinuous and winding.

Also remember you can tie ropes together need 150-ft of knotted roe, use 4 ropes.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2014-03-02 at 02:37 PM.

Current Projects:

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Is there anything sturdy enough to anchor the rope to?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

You can find various stalagmites near the terrace's lip which should prove sturdy enough.

Current Projects:

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Jacind McAllistrad

Jacind looks over the two bodies once more.

"I think we've bitten off more than we expected. This was likely the work of a Medusa."

Then he looks down at the hole below.

"I have 100 ft of rope in my pack. Do any of the rest of you have any more? Otherwise I have an idea."

Spoiler: Idea
    Show
    If we can sink an arrow tied to my rope as far down as Tindamel can fire, then one of us could hold the rope while one of us climbs down. Then, with a rock (or sling bullet, or something else heavy) tied to the rope, that person could climb down the rope, and throw it back up the hole. Rinse, repeat until Tindamel is left at the top. Then he could probably sink another arrow at the proper distance on the rope on the other side of the chasm such that when he jumps down he the rope catches him about 5 ft. above the ground. With the proper figures, I could calculate how much of the rope would be needed for which portions, so I'm sure Jacind could too.

20. - Top - End - #20

BardGuy

I have no rope but I've got some degree of telekinesis. Useful for tying ropes for example. Darya says.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

"No rope, but I do have a whip...of sorts. If you need a few extra feet."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Descending into the pit you eventually reach the bottom almost 200 feet below. When you do you find yourself in a circular hollow about 60-ft in diameter. Dust carpets its smooth floor, thickest near a dozen small holes, near the floor, that lead away from the area. Each hole is about 2 and a half feet wide, large enough that you ought to be able to squeeze through.

The air here feels alive with energy, and thick with the smell of developing lightning. Even the unattuned can sense that this is a place of magical power.

Spoiler: Casters, Manifesters, and any character with SLAs
    Show
    You can intuitively sense how to channel some of the area's power through yourself. By making an Int check (DC 11 + effective spell/power level) as part of using a spell/etc you can gain +1 to your caster/manifester level. In addition by resting 8 hours here and spending a 2nd level spell slot or 3 power points you can transport yourself and willing creatures to a linked earth node somewhere else.

The node's power has been used within the last week.

Current Projects:

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Once on firmament, Prince Tindamel shudders a bit at his surroundings "I don't like the feel of this place. Sets my teeth on edge" will draw his shield and reach into the back of his neck and rip out his own spinal cord, like drawing a sword from its sheathe. He'll use his deathwatch SLA just in case. and he'll definitely keep an eye on these holes. "The last thing we need is the ground falling out from under us or something coming up from the ground to eat us."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Jacind looks around, sniffing at the air, curiosity overtaking him.

"Hm.. I don't like this, the node has been used recently."

He chants for a moment, and performs a complex hand gesture. He breaths deeply as he tries to reach for the node, and his gaze extends into the magical.

"Now, what's going on do you think? Do you think the tunnels are trapped? Or shall we shimmy on down and see what's inside?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Jacind casts Detect Magic while attempting to tap the node.
    Intelligence (DC 11): (1d20+3)[22]

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

"It is not that I worry they are trapped but that whatever manner of beast dug them is still residing in them. And that it is hungry." He ponders this for a moment, letting his spinal cord unfurl into a whip. He walks closer, within fifteen feet of one "Were there a sure way to lure whatever it is out it would be wise to."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

"It's probably not likely to want it, but I've got some trail rations. On the other hand, I'm sure a little fire will draw anything out."

Spoiler
    Show
    Would dipping strips of leather in oil to toss down there long enough to make whatever is down there come out going to take a significant amount of oil?

Also, how many auras does Jacind detect in the area?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

@Jacind:
    Spoiler
    Show
    No personal experience, but since 1 ounce ~30 mL and the oil used would probably be close to 1 mL a strip I'm guessing, I'd say 1 per tunnel would take half an ounce.

You detect an ambient magical energy all about you, but no other auras.

@Tindamel:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You don't see any auras, besides the party, with Deathwatch at least within line of effect.

Current Projects:

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcraft? Take 10 for a 21.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Techwarrior View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcraft? Take 10 for a 21.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The underlying aura of the node is a mix of universal and conjuration (teleportation).

Current Projects:

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm guessing that's just from the effects of the node then. Correct me if my character would know that's wrong (can't remember where the info on earth nodes are.

Jacind begins tearing off strips of leather off of his tunic's sleeves and dipping them in oil. He tosses 1 lit strip down each tunnel, waits for it to finish burning, gives it about 10 seconds to see what may or may not come out, and then moves onto the next tunnel. He also maintains concentration on his spell (CL 6, duration 6 minutes).
    Last edited by Techwarrior; 2014-03-08 at 12:20 AM.