New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Sun's Hunters - Team B

Allain sighs, throws one last wistful look east... 'I hope this indeed would wait' she thinks and directs her horse south-west, towards the orcs.

She quietly listens to the conversation of her teammates. 'Vampires? That, at least, sounds much more interesting than the orcs...'
    Last edited by Lexin; 2014-06-12 at 04:49 AM.

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

“Plan. Yes. Good idea. I should come up with a plan.”
    ― Steven Brust, Dzur

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

It's early noon when you reach the village of Cornclaw, a small farming village that focuses on... Wait for it... Potatoes. Thought it's corn, didn't you? Nope. About ten years ago, a gang of anthropomorphic crows came and stole all the corn, almost ruining the village. They also burned all the scarecrows. So yeah. Potatoes.

You could simply pass through, but your horses won't last last long before you'll run the risk of them tiring. You could take a break here, even eat a hot meal at the mess hall, letting your horses a chance to rest a bit while you mingle with the commoners. On the other hand, you could just trade your horses for new ones and continue well into the night.
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

Valeria pulled her horse to a halt. "How far is it to the borderland from here?" she asked out loud to the group.
    Playing:

Sun's Hunters

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

So he was captured on the way to Gorfarn but where was he held captured?Master points out that we could seek such an opportunity. Were you captured in Gorfarn or before you entered the region? Do you remember how long you were transported? He am sorry for touching old painful memories but you are the best lead we have. Munin says.

There is indeed safer creatures to handle than demons but there is also more dangerous ones and sometimes the reason they are dangerous is excactly what you need.

---------------------------------------------

Niel don't like this small town. Potatoes was one of the first thing he tried to eat after he escaped.Master wants to know if you need to rest or we can continue.

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't have any ranks in knowledge(geography) but I suppose we should know how long to the border?

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Immaterial. We should continue," Irthosirthir said in a matter-of-fact tone. Idle time made her restless when she had a target in mind and she abhorred vegetables, including potatoes. She also did not want the group to become accustomed to resting at night, which is when she has no need of eye protection and could hide more readily. She disliked trading horses, as she tended to get sentimental attachments to property of any kind, but she had no desire to wait for them to be rested.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Somewhere along the journey Munin will turn to Irthosirthir Master is curious to your origin Irthosirthir, he is certain it is an interesting story. You may notice that he pronounces the name correctly almost as if he knew draconic.
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2014-06-12 at 11:59 AM.

7. - Top - End - #67

While the group as contemplating whether to rest or continue throughout the night, Irthosirthir turned her attention to Neil. Knowing that her eyes were obscured by her goggles, she narrowed them suspiciously. Though Neil's conversation with Abbant had inadvertently revealed some aspects of his personality and nature, the fact that he communicates through his familiar was making it hard to assess the spellscale. Since it had already been exposed that he was half-undead, she figured she could be more honest about her past than she normally was. After all, neither half-dragons nor half-drow had any weaknesses besides photophobia, and that much was already apparent. Besides, Munin's impeccable pronunciation of Draconic deserved some reward.

"I am from the caverns beneath the earth." She briefly paused and nonverbally indicated her talons, tail, wings. "As you may have guessed, my father was a deep dragon and my mother was a drow. When illithids attacked, I was left homeless, and was left to wander the Underdark on my own. Eventually, I ended up here on the surface, where the trusting nature of society made it easy to...recover information. When that line of work fell through, a 'friend' recommended me to the Lord. And here I am," she concluded. It was an abbreviated autobiography, the part about illithids and how she left from her family was a blatant lie, and she euphemized several items, but it was a mostly true sketch of her life. The tone at the end indicated she would be willing to answer any questions, though she obviously might not answer honestly.

"How about you? Quid pro quo?"

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm. A drow and a dragon, not that unusual of a mix. So few details though, this one doesn't like to talk about her past. Most creatures hates illithids and for good reason. Niel analyzes. Master sends his condolences Irthosirthir. You indeed have had a challenging past, it is a good thing that you didn't give up and you have my masters gratitude for that.

The memory was painful but I suppose that is what I get for asking others the same question. However it is crucial that these people trust me Master never knew his mother. which wasn't far from the truth He knows she was a spellscale from a place called Okarthel and her first name was Aryzgos. His father.. The raven looks unsettled before he sees an incredibly faint nod from Niel His father was fully fledged zombie controlled by a human named Belbob. Niel commands Munin to not tell that this isn't all of his genetic heritage: Look at their faces friend, they are unsettled enough as is

Spoiler: For draconicspeakers
    Show
    Aryzgos means dancing wind

9. - Top - End - #69

Irthosirthir wondered if Niel's sympathy was genuine or merely polite. It did not matter personally, since her maternal family is unfortunately still alive as far as she knew, but it would help her gauge what ways Niel could be useful. His confession to being a spellscale was unfortunate, since her hiding her knowledge now meant she lost her chance to show off. But either way, she was fascinated by his story, working under the assumption that it was true. After all, it would be a very odd choice for a lie.

"Please continue," she invited, expressing sincere interest. "There is no shame in a bizarre heritage," she added, hoping to incite an empathetic response to her own bastardized blood. She wanted to know more about him than just his birth—though knowing how it happened would interest her as well—even if it was more academic curiosity than anything. He did, after all, stop his recounting at his conception.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Firbolg in the Playground

Before:
    "We normally travelled by magic, teleportation for the most part, and the capture near Gorfarn was once we crossed over into the region... So yes, that means my knowledge of various spots is lacking, I do know I broke out in the Cycle Region, and I'm glad for it. The bureaucracy there meant I was shipped back rather quickly... And yes. Sometimes dangerous is what makes a tool most suitable."
    Abbant sounds slightly regretful in that he lacks knowledge as to his travels with the vampires.

---------------------
    "If we push, most of the mounts will probably stop due to fatigue and we'll need to camp in the open. If we don't we will arrive at the next town a few hours after nightfall, however I'll be able to pick out most threats before they can approach too close."

Abbant nods slightly at Niel's admission.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

Life is Hectic.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

No shame for you perhaps Continue? That was my masters origin sir.

---------------------------------------------------------

Master suggest that we trade our horses. If we push the new mounts we can make it in a day and a night and the horses can rest afterwards.

12. - Top - End - #72

Irthosirthir was disappointed that Niel was unwilling to relay more, but at least his reluctance indicated that what he said was accurate. She gave him a nod to demonstrate she would not pry further for for now. She certainly was not going to learn anything by pissing him off. She did not want to switch her horse out, but Abbant's point was valid.

"Agreed. Trading mounts with the local stable will allow to press on. Travelling at night is more suitable to my eyes anyways."

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

It is however not suitable for the eyes of our horses Irsosith. We can't ride at night, it's too dangerous. A little change in the road can make one of them stumble and fall and one of us will be without a mount. We can continue a while longer but we will need to stop when it gets dark.
    Playing:

Sun's Hunters

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

These horses are from the southern part of Scaled Region. As long as a little light remain their vision is better than masters and almost as good as mine.

15. - Top - End - #75

"And worst to worse, we can simply light torches."

Abbant thinks for a moment.
    "So what are the chances that all of you can cast some sort of magic and as such prefer 8 hours of sleep a night?"
    Show

Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.

Life is Hectic.

16. - Top - End - #76

"When needed, I will require the rest, but I have not expended enough energy to warrant it yet."

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

"I would do better with the sleep."
    Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    Don't you see it? The inert Shrieker may have more raw power, but the rock has something the Shrieker will never have. VERSATILITY.

Also, the rock will probably be lighter than the Shrieker, allowing it to be used as a improvised thrown weapon should the need arise.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

They are weak and not commited enough
    Assuming they will reach another village before it gets too dark Munin will say Master propose sleeping in the next village and use the last ours of the day.
    If he doesn't know how far away the next couple of villages is away Munin will ask a villager in this city.
    Last edited by Sønderjye; 2014-06-13 at 03:49 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"Trading horses wouldn't work for everyone of us." she says pointing at the bison, and her own warhorse.
    "On the other hand, these two should have more endurance than your regular horse." she shrugs.

"As to riding at night, we could do that. We have enough magic users to illuminate the whole road and vicinity." she adds after a moment
    "That would also be a suitable bait for every bandit around, but it is doable."
    "And yes, I require complete 8 hours of sleep to recharge my powers." 'Not that I used any today'
    "Yes, resting in the next village is probably a good idea."

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

20. - Top - End - #80

"... I've a feeling that a Ring of Sustenance will be my next large investment, that I might watch the camp while you all sleep... As to mounts, I could purchase a strong horse to takes Rampage's place and let him walk unburdened as way of rest, however he's rather long lasting... And I'd welcome bandits, at around 250ft."
    Show

Life is Hectic.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Deciding that if you would ride a bit into the night, you should get to the next village, you trade the horses you purchased recently and hope that your own would last long enough and set out and continue heading south-west and after a couple more hours, you can almost see the coast and the ocean beyond. The road takes you through the rocky landscape and blocking out most of the darkening sky.

And then Abant notices lights coming from behind rocks ahead, unmoving, from both sides of the road. Lights of life. Lights of ambush?

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot checks if you want. You would probably make Listen checks needed soon enough, so you can roll right now, too.
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Not a bowshots range worth of light... we'd be little more than illuminated pincushions" She turned to Abant then. "That's an odly specific number.. What do you mean by welcome? I don't see you carrying any bow, you're a mage?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Spot. (1d20+4)[17]
    Listen. (1d20+4)[17]
    Last edited by Tantum Umbra; 2014-06-13 at 06:15 PM.
    Playing:

Sun's Hunters

23. - Top - End - #83

As the team was travelling through the night, Irthosirthir heard Abbant point out signs of life ahead. Though confused at how a human would have noticed something before she did, she instinctively dismounted and tied her horse to the wagon and took out her spyglass, attempting to get a better look down the road and preparing to reconnoiter the situation.

Spoiler: Spot and Listen
    Show
    I don't know if spyglasses give any mechanical advantage to spot checks (there are 1000 gp, after all), but I'll assume there isn't unless someone says otherwise. I can always just add any modifier to the roll.
    Spot: (1d20+12)[24]
    Listen: (1d20+12)[17]
    Last edited by Arilus; 2014-06-13 at 11:42 AM.

24. - Top - End - #84

Previously
    "250ft marks the limit of my range. And I would have thought you'd pick up on me being a warlock."
    He smiles.
    ----

Spoiler: Rolls/Requests
    Show

How high does the light reach? [Radius = HD*5 bright, like a torch so double that in dim]
    Do there seem to be multiple lights, if so how many? [I know the answer will be based on spot]
    Distance to lights?

Spot:(1d20+14)[32]
    Listen: (1d20+8)[12]

Note: Active Spells
    Presdigitation, Deathwatch, Detect Magic, Comprehend Languages [Written], See Invisibility

Abbant will motion for the others to halt, getting off the Wagon and moving to the front so as to minimise the interference from their lights. He also looks around for any other lights.
    "I need you to stay behind me."
    Show

Life is Hectic.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Abbant
    Show
    Your sheet says your name is Abant.

There are a lot of lights from both sides, but they are feint as they come above the rocks, so you know their life force must be much weaker than yours. By the patterns and how the lights interact, you would say that some are standing higher than others. One light though, the one that you had spotted originally, shines slightly stronger. Perhaps the source has a life force about half of yours and your companions. At least the fully living ones. You count over half a dozen on each side, but with the faint level and their tightly packed nature, it's hard to give an exact number.

You then notice that light also shines through small openings between the rocks, where someone small enough might squeeze through... Archers, perhaps?

26. - Top - End - #86

Spoiler: Name
    Show

I did say I keep screwing up and putting Abbant and might change it right? *Goes and does that now*

Abbant seems to stare off into the distance, shushing anyone who speaks once he gets out in front. If you could see him his eyes would be flicking back and forth madly... Eventually he nods his head, turning around and speaking quietly.
    "See the rocks ahead? I think there's about 15 people, total, hiding behind them. Judging by how it shines, it looks more ambushy than caravan huddled down for the night, particularly how most shine duller than your average horse or war-hound."
    He lets those sink for a moment.
    "The brightest light I could pick out gets to around there, so there might be one who's actually trained or survived more than a few conflicts. I'd guess they mostly surround travellers and demand their stuff, which is good for us. The bad news is though, that it looks like some of the rocks have holes cut into them, or were placed to have thin slits, so they've definitely been well prepared and have probably been here a while, why we didn't hear about this when passing through the last town I don't know..."
    Abbant thinks for a moment.
    "They may have spotted us, so I think just a couple of us leave our mounts with the group as 'spares' for the wagon, and circle around. Once we've had a moment to get in place, the rest of you go on in. If they demand tribute, we surprise them, if not, we rejoin you on the way."

Meanwhile, he takes the moment to sign in Drow Sign, which'd probably look just like agitated hand motions to everyone else given his particular 'accent'.
    [Drow Sign]"Who here speaks?"
    Last edited by Erik Vale; 2014-06-14 at 04:12 AM.
    Show

Life is Hectic.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

Valeria looks over the lightly armored group. "My turn to go in the front now" she murmurs quickly while pulling out a small piece of crumbled paper from a pouch. After a few seconds of low chanting the slightest glimmering sheen seems to surround her, just barely visible to the naked eye. "If they spotted us they will grow suspicious of we stop now. Act quickly. One or two of you go with Abant, the rest follow behind" she commanded in a low tone as she set her horse moving again at a slow walk. With that pace the others should have plenty of time to circle around.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Casts shield of faith, set horse moving at slow speed ~30 feet or so.

Current AC: 28, AC vs first attack that hits her ac is raised to 31 through her fighter "active defence" ability.

Effects: Active Defence (+3 AC vs first hit), Shield of Faith, Active fighting style (Hold the line and Stand Still)

Last edited by Tantum Umbra; 2014-06-14 at 03:53 AM.
    Playing:

Sun's Hunters

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"Or... just an idea. I could create an exact illusion of our group, make us invisible and use another spell to eavesdrop on the reaction of our enemies when our illusions get to them. If hostile we can repay them with an ambush of our own. If not..." she shrugs "... we just keep moving."

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

29. - Top - End - #89

Abbant nods.
    "I'll let those who stay decide as to their own actions. Those that would follow me, stay close.
    Abbant takes off to the right, moving surprisingly silently given his initial pace is faster than Valeria's .

Spoiler: Rules Check/Actions
    Show

Swift and Silent allows me to ignore the penalty for moving at my base speed with move silently, will that extend to skill assistance rolls? I believe so as it's my roll, however being as their conditions affect their individual modifier you may rule otherwise, and given Savant's relative rarity I haven't found a ruling.
    If followed, I'll slow to 30ft instead of 40ft. If they would take a penalty to their assisted roll moving at 30ft, I'll instead slow to 15ft.
    Oh, should I get more than 3 followers which rely on my rolls, I'll tell some to stay behind [Can replace 3's rolls]. Those relying on my rolls must stay within 10ft.

Taking 10 on all rolls unless I must, ending with results of 22 for my hide/move silently.
    Those that use my skill assistance must use the following roll [request more rolls if needed], though they cannot see it. They get to apply their Dex Bonus/ACP/other modifiers to it individually, giving them different final results.
    Spoiler: GM/My viewing only, Skill Assistance Rolls
    Show

Hide: (1d20+9)[15] Base
    Move Silently: (1d20+9)[12] Base

Ech, that's bad.
    Let's be grateful for distance modifiers, and I hope no-one follows me needing my skills.

Last edited by Erik Vale; 2014-06-14 at 09:01 AM.
    Show

Life is Hectic.

30. - Top - End - #90

Irthosirthir was startled to see the distinctive hand movements of Drow Sign Language from Abbant.

"I do," she signed back, making a mental note to ask the human where he learned it once the potential threats ahead were dealt with.

She then made a different set of gestures, muttering at the same time. After several seconds, she stopped, satisfied that she now had some additional protection. Feeling in her element, and a tad euphoric, she followed Abbant off the road without a word, keeping an eye on how well hidden they were. If anyone was too visible, she had a magical solution.

Spoiler: Hide and Move Silently
    Show
    Irthosirthir cast mage armor on herself. I am assuming I cannot just take 10 on hide and move silently checks. If anyone attempting to hide is not hidden, Irthosirthir plans on casting invisibility on them.
    Hide: (1d20+12)[29]
    Move Silently: (1d20+12)[13]