New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Civ 5 Multiplayer 5: Empire Strikes Back (Giant Multiplayer Robot, G&K+BNW)

Seeing as these Playground Civ 5 Giant Multiplayer Robot games seem to be a thing, I thought it'd be fun to participate in one. And as there doesn't seem to be one starting right now, I thought I'd start one myself.

I have both G&K and BNW, so those would be in use. I also have the DLC civs, but if someone who doesn't have them wants to join, we can abstain from using them. Looks like we're doing just that. The game isn't really worsened by missing a couple of civs. I'm open to random civ as well, if enough people want to do that.

I haven't decided on map type, but I'd rather it not be Pangaea (because I'll probably want to play Indonesia or Inca). In general, I'm fine with anything that doesn't disproportionately screw with someone's civ choice.

As for gamespeed, I'd like for it to be normal. I actually prefer Epic, since that seems to give enough time to actually play around with each era's units and technologies, but epic would probably be impractically slow for this kind of game. Fast just seems way too... fast for me.

Victory types would be all except Time. Time victory is boring.

Edit: I'm on Eastern European Summer Time, or GMT +3.

Interest:
    thirsting - Celts
    Frog Dragon - Indonesia
    Magentawolf - Rome
    OrcusMcP - Japan (Surrendered, now played by Illven)
    driderman - Portugal (Surrendered)
    The_Snark - Aztec
    Jamin - Germany
    Somebloke - Poland (Surrendered, was played by Luzahn, resurrendered)

Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2015-04-11 at 09:49 AM.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Civ 5 Multiplayer 5: Empire Strikes Back (Giant Multiplayer Robot, G&K+BNW)

I'd prefer epic or normal too, but even fast is incredibly slow for GMR multiplayer, if you get to play one round a day (and even that seems to be optimistic, if there's people from all over the globe in the game.) I'd be fine with normal though.

Don't have any DLC civs, nor ability to acquire them currently, and I'm in one other game already. If those things don't prevent me from participating, I'd like to play as the Celts. Or random of course, if everyone wants to go that way.

Any map type, don't have a preference.

My timezone is somewhere in Europe (gmt +2)
    Last edited by thirsting; 2014-06-10 at 09:52 AM.
    Well that was awkward.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Civ 5 Multiplayer 5: Empire Strikes Back (Giant Multiplayer Robot, G&K+BNW)

In that case we can just not use DLC civs. It just means Babylon, Denmark, Inca, Korea, Mongolia, Polynesia, and Spain are unavailable. There are still plenty to choose from.

I do realize GMR is slow, but to me, fast sort of ruins the tempo of the game by pushing through new technologies and stuff before you even get to use the old ones.

I made an interest list in the OP.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

I missed #4, so I'll put my name in over here. My choice would be Rome.

Map type doesn't matter, really, but I'd rather not have *too* much water.

I'm US timezone, UTC -5.
    Board-game and XCOM nerd. Furry. Handle with care.

5. - Top - End - #5

Eh, I can be down. I'm in another game as well, but being in 2 isn't very taxing.

I vote random civs, just for additional hilarity, but if we are picking what we want, then I'll be Japan.

As for maps, classic continents is fine by me, but I also like the "random Europe shape" map.
    So Much for the Glory of Rome, a Crusader Kings 2 Let's Play

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I'm always up for another game if you need another player. Concerning game speed, consider that the original Gitp-GMR Civ game has now clocked just over 300 days of playtime and is approaching the end and that was 6 players on fast speed

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by OrcusMcP View Post
    I vote random civs
    I do too, actually. Might give incentives to try new playstyles.

Quote Originally Posted by OrcusMcP View Post
    As for maps, classic continents is fine by me, but I also like the "random Europe shape" map.
    Doesn't Europe map have borders on all four directions...? No going around the world with that one.
    Last edited by thirsting; 2014-06-10 at 03:25 PM.
    Well that was awkward.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I'd be up for playing. Pacific time zone (GMT -7), though I sometimes keep odd hours.

If we're choosing civilizations I'll most likely go for the Aztecs, though I would be okay with random too. No real preference as to other settings.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Random Civs are okay, so long as I get whining rights if I get the Ottomans

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by thirsting View Post
    Doesn't Europe map have borders on all four directions...? No going around the world with that one.
    It does, but it is also a VERY big map to compensate for that, and it also tends to have more strategic geographic chokepoints(Think dardanelles, gibralter, Baltic sound, etc)

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frog Dragon View Post
    I do realize GMR is slow, but to me, fast sort of ruins the tempo of the game by pushing through new technologies and stuff before you even get to use the old ones.
    It's not as bad as you'd think, really. It might just be the time delay between goes, but I haven't noticed it being all that worse than it is under more standard speeds.

If you're going to want to play on Standard or slower though then you'll probably need to do more conventional multi-player and get a schedule going, because I don't see that being feasible for a GMR game.

Quote Originally Posted by thirsting View Post
    Which would make this game distinct from all the other games so far.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

I'm going to put it to vote then.

1. Do we use Random Civ, or do we Choose Civ?

2. Do we play on Fast, or do we play on Standard game speed?
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

13. - Top - End - #13

1. Random
    2. Fast

14. - Top - End - #14

1. Random

2. Fast - reluctantly, but even this is slow enough slog
    Well that was awkward.

15. - Top - End - #15

1. Choose

2. Fast
    Board-game and XCOM nerd. Furry. Handle with care.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

1. Choose.

2. No preference.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

17. - Top - End - #17

I would be interested in playing this. I live the MST. If we are picking I would be Germany.
    Actors we are people pretending to be people

Thanks to Kwarkpudding for the amazing Aran Avatar

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

2nd game was random for everyone but Dhaevar who is apparently allergic to things other than China.

Quote Originally Posted by Driderman View Post
    Random Civs are okay, so long as I get whining rights if I get the Ottomans
    They aren't that bad, its more likely other people will whine because their advantages are all war based so you want to kill lots of things.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    2nd game was random for everyone but Dhaevar who is apparently allergic to things other than China.

They aren't that bad, its more likely other people will whine because their advantages are all war based so you want to kill lots of things.
    They aren't bad, but I hate them all the same
    Also, I'm pretty sure I randomed everyone in that game (I was the host, right?) and Dhavaer just lucked out and got China.

By the way, since I'm present in all the Gitp games so far, feel free to let me know if I'm filling out a spot somebody else wants or needs to be removed
    Last edited by Driderman; 2014-06-11 at 04:53 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm always up for another game if you need another player. Concerning game speed, consider that the original Gitp-GMR Civ game has now clocked just over 300 days of playtime and is approaching the end and that was 6 players on fast speed
    Personally, I'm still rooting for us somehow keep going until Beyond Earth hits.

And I think Dhaevar might have gone back and chosen china after his initial random choice. I seem to recall somebody in that game not being randomized.

Incidentally, I'm still somewhat grumpy about my tiny jungle island Brazil-ness.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2014-06-11 at 06:35 AM.
    Currently playing the Imperial Space Corps in Blood Bowl! We won't rest until everyone has Guard.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    Personally, I'm still rooting for us somehow keep going until Beyond Earth hits.

And I think Dhaevar might have gone back and chosen china after his initial random choice. I seem to recall somebody in that game not being randomized.

Incidentally, I'm still somewhat grumpy about my tiny jungle island Brazil-ness.
    Well, it's the guy who sets up the game who decides if you're playing random or not in the end, since he has to toggle it. And I distinctly remember being confused about someone who wanted to play China playing China even after I set it to random. But then again, I'm pretty sure the game I'm thinking of doesn't have you in it at all, Luzahn so maybe I'm just mixing things up.

22. - Top - End - #22

RogueGuy

Still places open?
    Currently playing the Maya in Civilisation V Multiplayer 3: Swimsuit edition.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, it's the guy who sets up the game who decides if you're playing random or not in the end, since he has to toggle it. And I distinctly remember being confused about someone who wanted to play China playing China even after I set it to random. But then again, I'm pretty sure the game I'm thinking of doesn't have you in it at all, Luzahn so maybe I'm just mixing things up.
    Hm, I might be thinking of the third then, I think that one must have had voluntary randoms.

We have too many Civ games running right now and it's glorious.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2014-06-11 at 07:13 AM.
    Currently playing the Imperial Space Corps in Blood Bowl! We won't rest until everyone has Guard.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Well, we have 7 players right now. 8 would actually be a fine number of players. I was considering cutting it off there.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

25. - Top - End - #25

RogueGuy

I would be more than happy to contribute to everyone's crushing defeat by my hand.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Also, we currently have a tie on choose civ vs random civ. So, Somebloke, driderman, and Jamin, what do you think?

1. Do we use Random Civ, or do we Choose Civ?

Also, map size and type? My usual answer would probably be Large Small Continents, because there's enough space to play around and Small Continents accommodates every civ fairly well, but I'm open to suggestions. Someone suggested the Europe map. Apparently Europe doesn't wrap though, which doesn't seem so great to me.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

27. - Top - End - #27

RogueGuy

Something with real continents. Maybe two continents? Preferably the fast setting. I'll prefer to choose my civ (Poland).

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

The problem with preferring to choose is that most people prefer to choose top tier Civs like Poland. Which I suppose is fine except then it's really annoying when you random one of the more crappy Civs yourself.

As for map type, the Small Continents Plus (from Explorers Map pack I think) is probably one of the best map types for a multiple continents style game, assuming you want the players divided on several continents.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Is that a vote either way, driderman?
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I vote we all play Poland