New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Civ 5 Multiplayer 5: Empire Strikes Back (Giant Multiplayer Robot, G&K+BNW)

We are all Poland!
    Last edited by Somebloke; 2014-06-11 at 03:36 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32

Default Re: Civ 5 Multiplayer 5: Empire Strikes Back (Giant Multiplayer Robot, G&K+BNW)

I am Spartacus!
    So Much for the Glory of Rome, a Crusader Kings 2 Let's Play

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

By the way, have we done spherical maps for each game so far?

I'm just thinking that playing one of the oceanless ones could be fun. I've always been partial to Highlands myself. Something about the way the mountains and edges work with combat is really interesting.
    Currently playing the Imperial Space Corps in Blood Bowl! We won't rest until everyone has Guard.

4. - Top - End - #34

RogueGuy

So long as no one plays the Incas.
    Currently playing the Maya in Civilisation V Multiplayer 3: Swimsuit edition.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

I actually might've played the incas if we all had the DLC civs. I like the incas.

I'm not a huge fan of the idea of a non-wrapping map though. It seems to me that the corners could be cheesed way too efficiently.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

6. - Top - End - #36

Actually, I change my chosen civ to Aztec. MAXIMUM SACRIFICE!!

I still think one of the enclosed maps would be an interesting change of pace. People on the edges would have limited expansion, but only have to worry about a couple fronts. People in the middle would be much freer to expand, but have to worry about the edge people.

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Unfortunately, The_Snark called dibs on Aztecs on the last page.

As for the enclosed maps, the suggested ones so far have been Highlands and Europe, right? The problem with Highlands is that if we choose civs (which is currently leading in the vote, though Jamin hasn't said anything yet), my civ of choice becomes utter garbage. Europe and Indonesia also don't go that well together, since Europe is mostly one continent.

If this idea does turn out to be popular, as well as civ choice, I suppose I'll simply switch civs.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

8. - Top - End - #38

OrcusMcP's posts really sold Europe map for me, at least. So I'd vote either that, or continents.
    Well that was awkward.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frog Dragon View Post
    Europe and Indonesia also don't go that well together, since Europe is mostly one continent.
    Europe usually gives you a few islands in the med and where Britain would be which count. Islands that can all be reached without optics allowing you to do the rapid expansion Indonesia is best suited for but can rarely actually pull off.

Unlike Highlands, the europe script generally gives you at least 40% water. You can set Highlands to have proper seas but that doesn't usually get you a good choice of islands over 1 tile in size.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2014-06-12 at 07:59 AM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by Frog Dragon View Post
    Unfortunately, The_Snark called dibs on Aztecs on the last page.
    Derp. :P That's what I get for not reading. If we stick with the usual continents, then I'll stay with Japan, but if we're going for an enclosed, then I'll play Iroquois.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

If you guys end up not doing an enclosed map here, I think I'll be starting up a game for it myself. Highlands is too fun not to have floating around here somewhere, and I'd like to actually play it rather than just spectate.
    Currently playing the Imperial Space Corps in Blood Bowl! We won't rest until everyone has Guard.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Seems like we're choosing our Civs? My choice of Civ is going to be dependent on the map we play. And honestly, while I can see that the Inca UA is pretty good for Highlands I don't think it's so amazing that we'll have to ban playing them.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

In the interest of being able to play Indonesia, I vote not-Highlands. Closet Skeleton convinced me Indonesia can work in the Europe map. I'd still prefer Small Continents, but Europe works too.

Also, Inca is effectively banned anyway because it's a DLC civ.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

14. - Top - End - #44
    Firbolg in the Playground

Indonesia is to small continents what Inca is to highlands, so of course you'd say that

Someday we're going to have to do a DLC game so everyone can laugh as I flail around with Denmark.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2014-06-12 at 01:59 PM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Is it really? Small continents does have islands, but it also has landmasses separated by ocean. Wouldn't indonesia and archipelago be a better comparison?
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2014-06-12 at 02:21 PM.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

16. - Top - End - #46

Archipelago is horrible for everyone, and only slightly less horrible for Indonesia, Polynesia and Venice.

17. - Top - End - #47

RogueGuy

Might I suggest the map that provides us with two continents? That would give Indonesia somewhere to spread to while allowing those who want more land to be happy.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Continents or Small Continents are best for that. That being said, I don't really care which map type we choose so long as we agree to something :)

19. - Top - End - #49

No one seems to oppose either of the continent maps too strongly, so how about just pick one of those? Or Europe. No one can stop you, and it's alright to be a (benevolent) dictator, Frog Dragon, democracy is slow and inefficient. I take no responsibility for any hastily made choices, other than my own >_>
    Last edited by thirsting; 2014-06-13 at 06:25 AM. Reason: duh.. frog, not frost
    Well that was awkward.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Yep, I'd just go ahead and pick a map - it doesn't sound like anyone really objects to Continents, Small Continents or Europe. (I think Small Continents might be a DLC map, though? Not sure everyone has it. No objection on my part but we should make sure of that before picking it.)
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2014-06-13 at 05:52 AM.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Alright. In the interest of moving things along, lets just go with that.

Choose civ seems to have gotten more votes, so we'll go with that.

Fast Speed, Choose Civ, Large Size, Small Continents.

Is everyone still aboard?

I put a turn timer in set for GMT +3, 24 hours.

I'm going to put the turn order me first (not sure if that is actually enforced by GMR, but it does seem like the simplest way to start if I can take my turn immediately after map generation), and then go west in order.

Right now it seems like the order would be: Me, thirsting, OrcusMcP, Magentawolf, The_Snark, and Jamin. Driderman and Somebloke go somewhere in there because I don't know their timezones.

Edit: if Small Continents is DLC someone doesn't have, we can go with Continents instead.
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2014-06-13 at 05:56 AM.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

22. - Top - End - #52

Small continents is not a dlc, so good to go. And I think Driderman at least is from Europe... (not 100% sure anymore)
    Last edited by thirsting; 2014-06-13 at 09:06 AM.
    Well that was awkward.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Barbarian in the Playground

Just so everyone knows my steam name is thedoomerx. I made it when I was very young.
    Actors we are people pretending to be people

Thanks to Kwarkpudding for the amazing Aran Avatar

24. - Top - End - #54

RogueGuy

Somebloke jest w grze.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

GMT+1 here. I'd hazard a guess that Somebloke is Polish :)

Did we random Civs or not?

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

We're choosing.

Looks like the order will be Me, thirsting, Driderman, Somebloke, OrcusMcP, Magentawolf, The_Snark, Jamin.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

27. - Top - End - #57

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Driderman View Post
    GMT+1 here. I'd hazard a guess that Somebloke is Polish :)

Did we random Civs or not?
    Australian in London armed with Google Translate, so not precisely.

But I play one in the game, so it fits...

28. - Top - End - #58
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm currently at Origins, so I'll sign in once I get back to my hotel room sometime tonight.
    Board-game and XCOM nerd. Furry. Handle with care.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Looks like everyone is signed in. Any objections to me starting the game now? Wouldn't want someone skipped turn 1.

Also, I'll put everyone on Prince difficulty. It seems to be standard, level playing field with no handicaps for anyone.
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2014-06-14 at 05:07 AM.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I won't be able to take my turn for the next 24 hours or so since I'm out of town for some family business, but other than that I'm good.