New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dwarf Fortress Succession Game #6 in the Playground! Return of the Evil Biomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    ...and you said a suicide charge was a bad idea.

(But seriously, don't suicide charge my subjects. I need them to find more gems.)
    Well, suicide charge actually worked, at the cost of six of our standing militias.

Unfortunately, Luzahn is now tantruming...

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dwarf Fortress Succession Game #6 in the Playground! Return of the Evil Biomes.

I demand more statues!
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2014-07-21 at 01:40 PM.
    Currently playing the Imperial Space Corps in Blood Bowl! We won't rest until everyone has Guard.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

I demand more statues!
    Bwa hahahahaha!

I'm now back from vacation so I can get back to kicking this thread along *looks meaningfully at Grif*

Beowulf DW, you've now been added to the list of hopeful candidates for the title of overseer. And before you say it, inexperience in no excuse to not participate, just means it'll be more Fun. (however if you do have a legit* reason for not participating I suppose you can have a pass)

*including but not limited to: lack of computer, lack of appendages, abundance of elven tendencies, ninjas, pirates, zombies, ninja pirate zombies, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    Bwa hahahahaha!

I'm now back from vacation so I can get back to kicking this thread along *looks meaningfully at Grif*

Beowulf DW, you've now been added to the list of hopeful candidates for the title of overseer. And before you say it, inexperience in no excuse to not participate, just means it'll be more Fun. (however if you do have a legit* reason for not participating I suppose you can have a pass)

*including but not limited to: lack of computer, lack of appendages, abundance of elven tendencies, ninjas, pirates, zombies, ninja pirate zombies, etc.
    My reasons include, but are not limited to: Flying across the country for a wedding soon, having more than enough on my plate as-is, and general unwillingness to push this old laptop to its limits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    My reasons include, but are not limited to: Flying across the country for a wedding soon, having more than enough on my plate as-is, and general unwillingness to push this old laptop to its limits.
    The last reason is most relevant.

At 200 dorfs, even my mid-range PC is starting to chug trying to simulate all that dorfiness.

Did we not cap the population to something reasonable?

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Are you turning off temperature? That will cut any slowness down enough that the population shouldn't be too harmful.
    Currently playing the Imperial Space Corps in Blood Bowl! We won't rest until everyone has Guard.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Are you turning off temperature? That will cut any slowness down enough that the population shouldn't be too harmful.
    Don't think I did. It's not too bad yet, but it's noticably slower now.

Oh, and Luzahn, you just went insane. Congrats.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Fair enough. Will keep you on the list of hopefuls though for when our fortress is less populated/freshly started.
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Should've built more statues.

Joking aside, I'm really curious about how that happened. Did I get a wife who was subsequently murdered? Did you accidentally reassign my house?

(I'd also like to point out that the Baron is not dead, but instead sleeps beneath the fortress, ready to rise again when the fortress has need of him. Be sure to line my tomb with deathtraps.)
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2014-07-22 at 02:05 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

You know, I'm really curious about how that happened. Did I get a wife who was subsequently murdered? Did you accidentally reassign my house?

I'd like to point out that the Baron is not dead, but instead sleeps beneath the fortress, ready to rise again when the fortress has need of him. Be sure to line my tomb with deathtraps.
    I honestly had no clue. Best guess is indeed the wife theory, since he only tantrumed after the suicide charge.

Well, the mayor now got himself a new swanky room, so it works out.

I should be done with this playthrough by tomorrow. Apologies for taking so long. On the bright side, I think we came out pretty well in that, and I reorganised a lot of stuff around to make it less like a hovel and more like a proper fort.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

Right. The save is here.

I'll just post a short summary since I'm not really up to describing everything. (I also pre-emptively apologise for killing off most of our named characters. )

Spoiler: Overseer's Note - Grif
    Show

Spring
    - Seeds misplaced. Hunt for seeds took awhile.
    - Misplaced items in front of fort, sent dwarves to retrieve it.
    - Construction of dormitory and lower class apartments.
    - Migrant wave of 26 arrives.

16th Felsite - The yearly siege army appears.

18th Felsite - Trolls enter the fort through the fortified entrance.

23th Felsite - Traps silces up the trolls, two dwarves missing so far.

2nd Hematite - Dwarves decides to celebrate victory. (Party) Alcohol running low. Farms reorganised to start producing more plants for brewing.

18th Hematite - A fool marksdwarf gets himself killed. But manages to lure goblins into range of crossbows, so that works out. A few more gobbos go down.

10th Malachite - Foolhardy plan formed to drive off the bowmen. A coordinated sortie to take both the bowmen and what remained of the mace-goblins by surprise.

19th Malachite - Mysterious construction...

25th Malachite - Artifact chestnut cup. Attacks begins...

12th Galena - Goblins driven off. Severe losses.

1st Limestone - Luzhan tantrum. Promptly shot dead. Tombs below are enlarged to accomodate the new honoured dead.

14th Timber - Dwarven caravan arrives. Clean up from the siege continues.

20th Timber - Traded for various goods.

24th Timber - Ambush! Goblins driven off by angry black bear. (and some crossbow bolts)

8th Moonstone - Artifact ashen cup.

17th Moonstone - News of Forgotten Beast, giant scorpion made of steam. Trapped under our fort, so doesn't really bother us.

24th Obsidian - Another ambush! Charge!

29th Obsidian - Yet another ambush!

1st Granite - The goblins are driven off, at a terrible cost.

Final status:
    Last edited by Grif; 2014-07-23 at 01:19 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Thats a lot of large numbers there. Well done.

Celesyne you're up next if you're around. If we haven't heard from you by tomorrow night it'll be my turn again, and we all know how well those go

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Thats a lot of large numbers there. Well done.

Celesyne you're up next if you're around. If we haven't heard from you by tomorrow night it'll be my turn again, and we all know how well those go
    I'm actually starting to wonder if you've come full circle, and become so bad that you're now good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm actually starting to wonder if you've come full circle, and become so bad that you're now good.
    One can only hope. I still haven't figured out/understand how trade actually works though (and this is after researching how to as well ><) so yeah...

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

Is there room for Dwarf Fortress general discussion here too?
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

One can only hope. I still haven't figured out/understand how trade actually works though (and this is after researching how to as well ><) so yeah...
    Trade as in trading with merchants?

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Is there room for Dwarf Fortress general discussion here too?
    Its fine by me.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Trade as in trading with merchants?
    Aye. I know how to make crafts for trading, can get them to the depot, but after that? Not a clue O.o
    Last edited by Wookieetank; 2014-07-24 at 11:55 AM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

You use "r" to tell the lazy broker to get his butt to the depot. It helps if you clear him of labors. Then you use "t" to trade once you have enough of what you want to trade at the depot. Then you what goods you want from the merchant and then what goods you want to trade.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

If you don't have a broker with the Appraisal skill, it is impossible to know how much anything is worth, so you just have to guess if your *Granite Mug* can buy their =Pine Barrel=. Since he didn't include one for the initial embark on this fort, I suspect that is the issue.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, we've certainly got a legendary appraiser last time I checked; I generally get one in the first wave.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

Ours arrived as near legendary during my turn.

22. - Top - End - #112

DwarfFighterGuy

Honestly, any appraisal above Competent I am okay with. Negotiator and Persuader are the two big skills. They let you get more loot for less.

It isn't like your CMO where a better Diagnostician skill makes him do the job any faster. Trading is instantaneous during pause-time.
    Last edited by iyaerP; 2014-07-24 at 09:23 PM.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by iyaerP View Post
    Honestly, any appraisal above Competent I am okay with. Negotiator and Persuader are the two big skills. They let you get more loot for less.

It isn't like your CMO where a better Diagnostician skill makes him do the job any faster. Trading is instantaneous during pause-time.
    If you built your fort right, there'll always be an excess of leftover goblinite and craft exports to tide you over any purchase.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Helpful trading tips and advice
    Thanks! Here's hoping I can get this working now.

Since it is now later than yesterday and our overseer candidate is MIA, seems we're back to my turn. Updates to follow sometime in the next 24ish hours (possibly even the whole year since its friday! ). If nothing else should be an interesting year.
    Last edited by Wookieetank; 2014-07-25 at 07:40 AM.

25. - Top - End - #115

DwarfFighterGuy

So I just learned about a really cool program called Legends Viewer. It makes sorting through legends mode a lot better than the default UI and it includes some really cool tools to make viewing your world history easier.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=72702.0

26. - Top - End - #116

This probably isn't exactly the right place to post this, but I couldn't find a general DF thread. Anyway, I've just got a new computer and I'd like to start Dwarf Fortress.

The problem is that the site says the new version hasn't been tested and that the old one is safer. What are your thoughts?

Do you have any other pointers, keeping mind that I know nothing about Dwarf Fortress except for a reputation of random murder, unchained chaos, nonsense physics goofs, really lethal animals and general madness? And that I have very little gaming knowledge?

Also, what's the difference between SDL and Legacy? *Is not very computer-literate either*
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

27. - Top - End - #117

DwarfFighterGuy

It is a new version so we will go through a few iterations of buggy releases till we get a stable one. I would say download the legacy version to start learning in, and upgrade in a week or two once you know what you're doing. Expect to lose your first dozen forts in rapid succession until you get a handle on it. Dwarf Fortress is not AT ALL forgiving of new players.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    This probably isn't exactly the right place to post this, but I couldn't find a general DF thread. Anyway, I've just got a new computer and I'd like to start Dwarf Fortress.

The problem is that the site says the new version hasn't been tested and that the old one is safer. What are your thoughts?

Do you have any other pointers, keeping mind that I know nothing about Dwarf Fortress except for a reputation of random murder, unchained chaos, nonsense physics goofs, really lethal animals and general madness? And that I have very little gaming knowledge?

Also, what's the difference between SDL and Legacy? *Is not very computer-literate either*
    Welcome! Just remember first and foremost that Dwarf Fortress is Fun

If you want to go into the game slightly less blind, this guide was greatly helpful to me.

As for me starting the fort tonight, its gonna be a bit. My work needed extra help on an overnight shift, and me being the glutton for punishment that I am , volunteered to work extra. So it won't be until late saturday that you'll see a fortress update from me, since after this 12 hour shift I plan on crashing like a clown invasion through a fort.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Barbarian in the Playground

I just moved and am without my gaming pc for a while. Sorry guys

I am curious whether or not dear hammermaiden me survived the suicide charge though.
    Current Sexy Reya Dawnbringer avatar by Edwin, thanks for the awesomeness.

"Come with me, and we'll be...
    In a world of total annihilation." .....Itnetlolor of Bay12 forums

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne View Post
    I just moved and am without my gaming pc for a while. Sorry guys

I am curious whether or not dear hammermaiden me survived the suicide charge though.
    No worries, as I like to say: life happens. Hope the move went smoothly for you!

Soon as I get around to having a chance to look the fort over I'll see if you're still around, or if you need to 'possess' one of the currently living dwarfs.