New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IC - Trefoil

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default IC - Trefoil

As you awake to the dawn of a new day, realisation hits you. This is it, the time has come for the Reaping of the 73rd Hunger Games. This has always been an unforgettable day throughout your life. For some reason, today has you feeling particularly nervous, dread filling your stomach.

You rise and dress smartly, wearing the best clothes you have. As you leave your house, you join the growing throng of people filing towards the reaping itself. Peacekeepers line the way, their immaculate white uniforms and faceless helmets keeping you from recognising any of them. Their presence presses in on you, reminding you of the harsh reality. Two children are going to their deaths. Not today, but because of the events set in motion on this day. The thought hangs over everyone like a smothering fog.

Just like all the other children in the district, you line up with those of the same age as you. Girls on one side, boys on the other. Your blood is taken by a peacekeeper at a desk, checking you in. The older children put on a brave face for the benefit of those that are younger, but everyone is afraid.

Standing on the stage, stationed between two bowls filled with names, is an incredibly thin woman wearing very airy clothing. Her stare seems distant, as though she isn't entirely focused on the assembling children before her...

Spoiler
    Show
    Please post your character's general appearance and his/her mannerisms as the reaping takes place. How it goes down is completely up to you.

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: IC - Trefoil

So. Today is the Reaping. Another year, another twenty-three deaths.

Trefoil stands, face emotionless, as far back at the edge of the crowd as she can. The rustle and murmur of people did not exactly compare to that of the trees. She wears a dress that might once have been white, but is now an indeterminate soft brown-grey. Her dark brown hair is caught back in some semblance of a ponytail, which doesn't quite accurately convey the amount time and effort she had spent on it earlier that morning.

She didn't understand why people felt such a need to dress their best on Reapings--were they offering their respects to the soon-dead? But her father had requested that she at least try to "clean up." She had decided to comply. He didn't ask much of her otherwise. Or maybe it was that she didn't speak much with him anyway.

The ridiculously thin woman was speaking. Not that it matters. Trefoil narrows her golden eyes. She had seen plenty of thin people in the District. Too many, in fact. Too many dead and dying. Had the woman ever really known what is was like to be hungry, truly hungry? Of course not. Capitol fool. And even if she ever did learn, she would forget come the next meal. People are like that. You can only count on them forgetting. Or changing their minds.

The woman has stopped her sing-song, and now her hands hover over one of the glass bowls, in a way she probably thinks is delicate and fashionable. There are so very many names. Trefoil supposed she could consider herself lucky, in a way, as she had only one other family member. She couldn't take more tesserae even if she had wanted. Even if she had needed. But so many others had had to take so much... There are so many names. And then the Capitol woman calls hers.

Trefoil continues staring ahead. Her face remains emotionless. Her mind feels strangely blank. The peacekeepers surround her and pull her towards the stage. It's all a game. A silly game, where people gawked and gaped and emptied their minds. A silly game, where people died. A silly, foolish, horrible, nightmarish game. Just a game.

Somehow, she's on the stage. The Capitol woman is smilingly foolishly, heading to select the next pawn, the next player in the silly peoples' games. She could make out the tops of the orchards in the distance. Those trees had watched her grow. The humans had come and gone, but the trees had stayed. And now she would be leaving. But it was just a game. She could play their game.
    Last edited by Rysc; 2014-06-18 at 03:09 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

RedKnightGirl

Trefoil stares beyond the masses of assembled youths, one half sagging with relief now that they know they are free, the other half in a state of heightened panic as their time has come.

"And the male tribute... Talas Bend."

A tall man, a foot taller than Trefoil, is quickly cornered by the peacekeepers as he stares blankly, overcome by shock. He is dragged on stage and it is only then that Trefoil realises that he is not a human, but an elf, just particularly heavily muscled so as to seem more like a human.

"The tributes for district 11: Trefoil Oleastro and Talas Bend." Nala seems utterly disinterested in the whole affair: not maliciously so, just as though her mind is in another place. The tributes receive a desultory and pitiful round of applause and cheering, as required by the peacekeepers, before Nala saunters off without a backward glance, leaving it to the head peacekeeper to announce to the two stunned tributes that they must now say their goodbyes, and then they would be taken to the train.

Spoiler
    Show
    Greetings! I'm district 11's DM and so I will be running your personal thread. Great intro post by the way

You're welcome to describe any visitors you have prior to leaving for the capital, and your conversations with them (feel free to control all that). We'll move on to the journey to the Capital once you're ready.

4. - Top - End - #4

After the peacekeepers leave her in the room "to say her goodbyes," Trefoil takes a seat. What else is there to do? It's all waiting now, a goodbye which didn't do anything at all, and then to the Capitol. But they only allowed you to say goodbye to people.

Someone comes in. Her father. He doesn't meet her eyes, and neither says anything for some time. There was never anything to say, anyway. Then, finally, he finally looks her in the eye. His voice is shaky.

"I-I'm sorry...I...you'll...I...love you."

Trefoil isn't quite sure what to say. She had never been particularly close to her father. In response, she settles for a half-smile and a small nod. She's not exactly sure what it is she's responding to, either. Her father lightly touches her shoulder, then suddenly turns and hurries outside. So. Goodbye. Really, what did that do?

In the silence, she can make out the trees' whispers. They would be there for her. Her smile widens, and she rises and heads resolutely for the door. The peacekeepers are waiting for her.

5. - Top - End - #5

RedKnightGirl

6. - Top - End - #6

The Capitol has a disappointing lack of trees. But what did she expect, really? As she's hurried through the halls, she tries her best to hear what the trees are saying. Unfortunately, her concentration is cut short by the group of people who are apparently her "prep team," the most annoying of which is a woman with what appeared to be gems of some sort implanted in her bare arms. Trefoil regards her with indifference, tuning out everything the Capitol woman says as the others scurry about her. Then the cleaning begins, and while it's even easier to tune everyone out, it's harder to focus on anything else but.

At first the scrubbing is nice--she's never felt so clean before--but then the team starts in so hard it feels like they're aiming to take her skin off. And then the waxing. Trefoil hisses her fury at the stylist. Did all the Capitol people do things like this, pointless pain for "beauty"? She somewhat manages to calm herself outwardly when the stylist reminds her in a roundabout, condescending way why they're doing this. Of course. This is all so the silly Capitol can have something pretty to look at. This is all so she and all the others could look pretty as they are eventually being brutally killed. This stupid pageant.

But this is something she has to play along with. It might do her good in the end. Well, in the few, maybe slightly prolonged days before she would be killed. Still, if she could get ahead by playing their games, she would try. Unfortunately.

With her skin still smarting, Trefoil's led off and her face plastered with those colored paints they called make-up. She had never seen the point of them. But apparently the Capitol did. Then the costume. The stylist-woman is saying something about "forest gods" as she hurries around, and for a moment, Trefoil has to smile out how appropriate that is. For her, at least. Maybe the parade wouldn't be so bad after all.

7. - Top - End - #7

Once in the room, Trefoil begins, distractedly rubbing the hem of her shirt. "Sorry--actually, why am I apologizing? I just think that Talas is overconfident, or he's trying to hide behind bravado. Either way...it doesn't really matter.

"So. Strategy. Well, in the arena, I guess... I can climb, and gathering resources--food-wise--shouldn't be to hard for me. That, combined with--"
    She stops awkwardly. "I, ah, know some magic. I know some basic spells that, combined simple foraging, should make resources no problem. If I need to, I can also fight, though I'd much rather not since I'm not as well trained as probably everyone else. I guess my main advantage here is that I won't need to bother with getting myself a weapon."

She concentrates, and reaches out her hand to grasp apparent emptiness; as she closes her fingers, a spear seemingly sprouts from thin air. After a moment, she leans it against the wall, and it vanishes.

"So...yeah. Weapon. I...have really no idea about outside the arena. Marketing. Or what the...Capitol people might like. I highly doubt "silent" and "aloof" are quite what they want, though." The girl takes a deep breath. She can't remember the last time she had had to say so much at one time.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Using Wooden Weapon to summon the spear.
    Last edited by Rysc; 2014-07-23 at 03:57 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

RedKnightGirl

"Well you don't need to worry about appearing aloof, and we can work on silent," Seeder replies warmly. She doesn't seem too surprised by the admission of magical ability and encourages Trefoil to join her on some small comfortable looking seats.

"Tributes always overlook resources: so it's a good sign that you didn't. You're smart, I like that, or at least you have a good head on those shoulders. You should make sure to look at the survival exercises though, the flora and fauna may be different to what you are used to. But working on weapons can't hurt you in the meantime. Practise with spears, if that's what you can create. Don't worry about being particularly bad: as long as by the end of the week you don't appear too vulnerable you shouldn't become a target. And it seems as though your strategy won't involve allies, so no need to really impress the other tributes."

"You should try and think about what you'll say in your interview with Caesar, and more importantly, how you'll show off your survival skills in the test. Can you make traps? Stoic and silent may well work if you get a good score to complement it, but then if you don't score well, you can say goodbye to sponsors. Is there a boy at home, or a very important family member you might want to talk about? These Capitol folk do like a heartfelt story. Don't seem to cold or callous, and don't criticise the Games."
    When Seeder is talking about the interview, a bitterness comes into her voice, as though recalling something she wished she hadn't.

9. - Top - End - #9

Trefoil thought for a moment. There was something, but not exactly in the category of people. Perhaps it didn't matter. Actually, it really didn't, unless she somehow survived. Somehow. For now, though, it's just a matter of how she refers to them. It. He. Singular, now.

"Well...back home...I suppose I did have a love. Or a family. Of a sort. Who I'll probably never see again." Her trees, the orchards, would see her again, of course, plastered across gigantic screens as a reminder of which twenty-three children had had to die that year. She can still hear--feel?--their feathery branches in her mind, so perhaps the lie is only in the first part. Focus. She could probably tell Chaff. Maybe.

Equally unsure about anything she's saying and eager to just get it out, Trefoil continues in a rush. "It's just that...they're not exactly people. Do you remember the orchards? How do you think the Capitol would feel about non-humanoid loves? Or would just think I'm just a crazy tree-hugger? If ever, I could just switch some words around. Make it a boy, or a family. Or would that be bad?"

10. - Top - End - #10

RedKnightGirl

Seeder seems a little confused at first by the sudden mention of trees, and then she looks sympathetic. Perhaps she doesn't understand Trefoil's connection with the orchards. "I think that might be a little hard. It may work, but I unless you're a consummate liar, you may trip up in the interview, which would be disastrous. But maybe if we market it right, this tree loving angle could be pulled off. You aren't a pacifist are you? We need to make it clear you'll fight and the trees will help you!"

11. - Top - End - #11

"If there are any pacifists here, I'd like to meet them. Excluding any faux-idealistic Capitol people, of course, if they give any thought to it at all." Trefoil smiles wryly, almost bitterly. "But I won't talk like that during the interview, don't worry. I...suppose that could work, but I'm not sure if the Capitol would quite understand."

12. - Top - End - #12

Taking average roll for hp.

Spoiler: Training rolls
    Show
    Fortitude (DC 12): (1d20+1)[3] [fatigued]
    Climb (DC 20): (1d20+10)[16]
    Last edited by Rysc; 2014-07-26 at 02:10 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Spoiler: More tests, more rolls
    Show

Int check:(1d20)[11] - 2 = 9

DC 15 Know(Nature) check:(1d20+7)[9]
    DC 15 Survival check:(1d20+4)[8]
    ...what.
    ---
    Will:(1d20+2)[18] +1 Con = 19
    Last edited by Rysc; 2014-08-09 at 03:58 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Spoiler: More perception rolls, and other stuff
    Show

Careers conversation:
    Perception:(1d20+5)[23]
    Stealth:(1d20+5)[8]

ALSO: taking Slippery to get Stealth as a class skill
    Last edited by Rysc; 2014-08-24 at 08:42 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Spoiler: Even more perception rolls
    Show
    Alex/ Camille: (1d20+5)[20]
    Careers: (1d20+5)[10]
    Lox/ Liss: (1d20+5)[17]

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Seeder smiles grimly, "There's not much around here that you'd call a proper orchard, that's certainly true..." She pauses, appearing to consider something, "You could try and work that to your advantage. You could talk about the beauty of the woods back home. If you think you can really engage the crowd on that, get them to believe you'd do anything to be back there," She smiles softly, "From the way you've already talked about your connection to them, that shouldn't be too difficult for you."

Show

17. - Top - End - #17

"Yes..." Trefoil trails off and stares off into space, then starts and begins speaking again. "So that's it? For now? Talk about the trees, and maybe...I'll survive longer?" She smiles wryly. "Or at least, maybe get help in surviving longer."
    Last edited by Rysc; 2014-09-09 at 12:21 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Spoiler: Perception & GM question
    Show
    Sheila/Sel: (1d20+5)[21]

Also, with regards to my build: I'm planning on picking up Eldritch Heritage (arcane bloodline) when Trefoil hits third level, thus getting me access to a familiar. Is the Compsagnathus a viable choice?
    Last edited by Rysc; 2014-09-09 at 12:38 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Apologies for the delay in responding, been very busy. Provided you can give a good in character reason for how Trefoil is getting a familiar, I have no issue with Compsognathus. If you want to jump ahead to the first post-training part, that's fine. Equally, if there was other stuff you wanted to do before hand, go for it.

Seeder gives a short, mirthless chuckle, "It doesn't sound quite so good when you put it like that. But yes, basically. Now, you should probably get some rest before tomorrow's training. Unless there was something else you wanted to discuss?"

Show

20. - Top - End - #20

Spoiler
    Show
    No problem about the delay. And yes, the reason for actually getting a familiar was the hard part. Since I highly doubt there are wild animals running around the Capitol (much less the training center), the only actual reason I could think of was as a gift, following either a successful interview or training score. I'm not sure what protocol is regarding giving live animals to tributes, though. I'm also not sure if/why Chaff would spend sponsorship money on a small dinosaur.

If nothing, I'll just go with bonded item/ an alternate build route, which is fine too.

"Not really." Trefoil watches as the mentor leaves the room, and then heads to her bed. So. One less day of...however long it is she has left to live. It probably wouldn't be that long.

Be calm, whisper the trees. Remember...

After the first training session, Trefoil has the same blank look on her face as she enters the room. It's some time before she finally speaks. "I'm pretty sure I didn't made a good first impression. Without even trying, too." Her expression shifts to something like a grimace. "Trying to make one, that is. Though I suppose that's both a good thing and a bad thing, depending on whether you're thinking about the other tributes or the...citizens."

She shrugs. "Didn't really talk with the others. Though there was this boy, 10. He seemed...interested in me. As to whether or not the feeling's real, or mutual...well, the Capitol loves a good story..."
    Last edited by Rysc; 2014-09-15 at 09:33 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Seeder sighs as Trefoil returns, listening to all that the young girl has to say. "Flying under the radar isn't a bad thing. Impressing the other tributes isn't your main goal." A soft smile forms on her face, "Although, by the sounds of it you've made an impression on one of the boys. I can't recommend that you get attached to him, but you know your own mind best."

Show

22. - Top - End - #22

Trefoil shrugs. "Don't worry. I'm not even sure why he's even thinking of...things like this. Both of us can't make it out, and probably none of us will." Her voice takes on a bitter tone. "It'll make a nice tragic love story. For everyone else, that is."

"Well, assuming he's not just trying to make a 'nice story,' I guess it's somewhat good in a way. One less person trying to kill me. In the very, very beginning, at least." She leans back, staring at the ceiling for a bit. "Oh. The beginning. I'm not sure who's a magic user beyond that crazy 12 boy and possibly the one named Mageson, but with regards to the others, I'll have access to a weapon before anyone. Or at least I'll be one of the first with a weapon. Should I try to...do anything? Of course, I don't know if I could actually be effective. Or if the other magic users might go crazy with attacking. Or...I don't know." She rubs her forehead wearily. "I don't know. I need to rest."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Seeder shrugs softly, "It's not unusual for close bonds to form in stressful situations. Like you said, only one of you's getting out." She shifts in her seat, getting a little more comfortable before continuing, "Magic can be a wildcard, certainly. The Cornucopia is often a death trap. Everyone wants to grab what's there, so there's always a major fight there."

A sympathetic look crosses her face, "You should get some rest, though. You've got a very tough time coming up, take advantage of the peace while you can."

Show

24. - Top - End - #24

Spoiler: Demonstration rolls
    Show

1: Using Wooden Weapon to create a quarterstaff.

2: Casting Shillelagh on quarterstaff (+1 to attack and damage, damage dealt increased by 2 size categories [1d6 -> 2d6]).

3: Attacking dummies, called shot to the head (-4 to hit, AC 8, hardness 6, 3 hp). Wielding two-handed.

Attack / Damage
    1st: (1d20+1)[20] (+3 atk bonus, +1 wood bond, +1 spell, -4 called) / (2d6+4)[14] (+3 1.5 STR, +1 spell)
    2nd: (1d20+1)[9] / (2d6+4)[8]
    3rd: (1d20+1)[16] / (2d6+4)[13]

Final order of rolls: 2nd, 3rd, 1st.
    Last edited by Rysc; 2014-09-24 at 02:18 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

Trefoil walks into the now familiar room, her face emotionless and her steps steady enough to hide how she's actually feeling. She heads towards the dummies, but pointedly ignores the weapon rack, coming to a stop just in front of the first dummy. For a moment she remains motionless, staring out ahead of her, concentrating. Then she reaches out a hand and seemingly plucks a solid wooden quarterstaff out of the air. Warm wood. No cold, lifeless Capitol things.

Her expression softens somewhat after the weapon is in her hand. With her free hand, she gestures and speaks a few words almost like the rustlings and creakings of trees. Nothing much seems to happen, but the quarterstaff glows almost imperceptibly.

Trefoil then grips the staff with both hands, sweeps it around and attacks the first dummy. She almost misses the head, but manages to land a relatively solid blow nonetheless. Pausing a moment, she tries to relax and simply focus on the task ahead of her. Ready again, she slams the staff over the dummy's head, completely crushing it, then pivots, swings, and smashes the head of a second dummy in.

A small smile plays about her lips as she turns towards the judges, inclines her head ever so slightly, and deliberately drops the staff on the floor. The noise it makes is abruptly cut short as the quarterstaff vanishes mid-clatter, and Trefoil strides solidly and surely out of the room

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Following Trefoil's final examination, she returns to the apartment complex to find Seeder and Chaff seated in front of the viewing screen. Chaff glances over at Trefoil when she enters and beckons her over. "You two are near the end, so they won't wait long to show the results now."

Once the training scores are shown, Chaff turns the television off and let's out a soft whistle.

Show

27. - Top - End - #27

Trefoil stares at the now blank screen for several moments."Well, on one hand, the careers don't seem to have too great of an advantage this year. Though I think they, or at least the 2 boy is trying to get the 5's to join them, so...we'll see." She shrugs. "I wasn't really expecting anything. It's nice to see that either I did better than I thought, or that that 2 boy is just really overconfident. Also, from what I've seen of the 12 male, I wouldn't be surprised if his score is partly due to him annoying the judges somehow. He's still dangerous, though."

"The 7 female I'm not too surprised at. She's a half-orc named "the Shatterer." If she wasn't a good fighter I'd be surprised. Of the highest scorers then, she and the career 1 girl are probably martial combatants. Of the other three, 12 is definitely a mage, 5 is highly probable--I mean, "Mageson"--and 9 might be, though that's also purely name-based. So magic will be something to watch out for."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

At the mention of James, Chaff shrugs, "Could be a bit of both, it's not unusual for Career's to be over-confident in their own ability. That said, 8 is a good score. There's just a lot of high scorer's this year."

He leans back in his chair, mulling over Trefoil's summation, "The one who got 12 likely did something to anger the Capital. A 12 is often seen as a death sentence for the individual who is awarded it. Unfortunately, that doesn't make judging his strength any easier. As for the other two you think are mages," He shrugs, "It's the kind of thing that's difficult to determine without seeing them perform their tricks first hand. All I can advise is that you be careful around them."

Show

29. - Top - End - #29

"I'm going to be careful around pretty much all of them, anyway. Preferably though I'm going to also be as far away as possible."

"And...being far away. Do you think I should risk the Cornucopia? I had wanted to try to get some supplies, but now, with...the competition, I'm not so sure. I should be able to sustain myself as long as the weather's not too strange, but every little bit helps. In this case, though, the little bit might not be worth it."
    She sighs. "And here I am, casually discussing my death. Not that I can really do anything about that..."
    Last edited by Rysc; 2014-10-17 at 11:49 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Chaff rubs the back of his neck as he thinks, "If you think you can get in and out fast enough, I say go for it. It's going to be chaotic, but you might have the opening you need in that chaos." He gives her a sad smile, "And grim though it is, it's worth talking about these eventualities. It'll benefit you in the long run."

Show