New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default The Making of a Kingdom (IC)

28th of Calistril - Morning

Four days ago, under orders from Lord Mayor Restov, a group of five young adventurers set out from Restov towards Oleg's Trading Post. This morning, after awakening to the chilly air and layer of frost that signal winter's stubborn refusal to end, the group set out on the final leg of their journey west along the road. At the pace they have been traveling (kept slightly lower by those without horses), the group should arrive at Oleg's within 4 hours, just before noon.

The walk along the trade road is calm and serene. Despite reports of increased bandit activity in the area, the group has experienced no trouble in their short trip. Of course, the Trading Post is not to be the final destination of the trip. While Oleg's may be the starting point and, in fact, the home base of the expedition, the orders the group has received are far grander in scope. Once they have settled in, the party has been tasked with exploring and mapping the area known as the Greenbelt, to the southwest of Oleg's.

As the sun begins nearing its highest point in the sky, the old fort that now serves as Oleg's Trading Post comes into view. It doesn't look like much from the outside. The outer structure is square, with wooden walls reaching ten feet high. As the group approaches, they can see that a catapult sits on a raised platform on each corner. A single wooden gate stands open in the south wall. From within the walls, a trail of smoke rises, likely from a chimney or cooking fire.

Along with the true start of their mission, this structure holds the promise of a warm meal and bed, a welcome change after four days of trail rations and cold nights camping.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Here we go! A map and XP tracker has been added to the second post of the OOC Thread.
    -Odentin

Quote Originally Posted by Skype
    Odentin: Wait. Weren't we going to stop off in the capital and murder the emperor?
    Bladecutter: We might as well, it's on the way.
    GM: "We might was well" has never been used in that way!
    Bladecutter: Well, we really don't like him...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Making of a Kingdom (IC)

Zarus's head bobbed up and down, as he rode upon his summoned horse, along with the other members of his party. He seemed to be in a trance-like state, almost asleep, yet not, for he was utterly and totally bored by the scenery around him, and nobody seemed to be talking, at all. His mind kept going over the theories of random spells, just to keep his mind in proper shape, and to keep himself from dying of boredom.

The neigh of his horse seemed to bring him back to reality, as it slowly walked on the path leading forward towards the old fort that glinted in the sun, and imposed its figure upon their bodies. "Well, there it is. Oleg's Trading Post, the first stepping stone to Hell, or maybe something much less boring than the entire way here."
    Last edited by TachyonBlade; 2014-06-22 at 08:46 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Solenia chuckles at the mounted thinker. "Come on, It's just the wilderness. It's not bad at all. Some of you 'civilized' folk even find it relaxing" She's obviously just poking fun at her less outdoorsy companion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elderand View Post
    "Awww, look at that mortal trying to use a scroll, isn't he adorable ? who's a good mortal ? You are, yes you are. Here have a fireball"

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Xunthrae View Post
    Solenia chuckles at the mounted thinker. "Come on, It's just the wilderness. It's not bad at all. Some of you 'civilized' folk even find it relaxing" She's obviously just poking fun at her less outdoorsy companion.
    Zarus looked at the druid, and scratched the back of his head. It was easy for her to say, she would love being outside at all times. "Relaxing, yes. Engaging? Not at all. Not even close to it."

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by TachyonBlade View Post
    Zarus looked at the druid, and scratched the back of his head. It was easy for her to say, she would love being outside at all times. "Relaxing, yes. Engaging? Not at all. Not even close to it."
    "Well, I find it plenty engaging. I guess I just know where to look." She grins playfully at him. "I never did ask, how did you and Konrad meet?" She glances over to the mentioned man.
    "Awww, look at that mortal trying to use a scroll, isn't he adorable ? who's a good mortal ? You are, yes you are. Here have a fireball"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xunthrae View Post
    "Well, I find it plenty engaging. I guess I just know where to look." She grins playfully at him. "I never did ask, how did you and Konrad meet?" She glances over to the mentioned man.
    Max, who had so far being restlessly switching from saddle to foot and back again looks up and smiles at the possibility of a story.

"Oh, a story! Yes, please do tell. I'll take just about any conversation at the moment."

"Also, anyone for a drink?"

7. - Top - End - #7

Zarus fully opened his eyes to the sun that once was gone from the skies of Golarion, and took in its breathless magnificence. It was almost as if it was all that existed in the sky, and beyond, but as a wizard, Zarus knew better. There were planets, beyond that blue veil... One day, perhaps he'd go to one of them. He seemed to be taken in by the beauty of the noon skies, but then looked down, and thought 'Yep, staring at the skies will kill my eyes, and still bores me.'

"Yeah, Max, hand me a mug, or something. Could do with some ale in me. And the story of how I met that bugger there? Well, ask him, he'll tell it best, I can guess."

8. - Top - End - #8

AssassinGuy

Max pulls out a mug, pours out half a mug of ale from his dwindling supplies and hands it over to Zarus. He then looks back into his own almost empty drinking horn.

"Here you go. I really need to refill my supplies. I'm pretty much out now. I can sort that out at the Trading Post. So, story!"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Adula spots the trading post in the distance and breaths a sigh of relief, she hasn't spoken much thus far, usually looking for some excuse to scout ahead, Maximillian and Zarus's presence were appreciated, but she didn't know what to say beyond sporadic small talk. Though not precisely rude, she seems uncertain what to make of the other humans, one a wild shaman of some sort, the other, some chelaxian noble.

The journey thus far, had been a bit of a hike but nothing she wasn't used to, so, when she saw the outpost, Adula saw the structure more than the seductive promises of food and bed. It disappointed her for some reason.

Adula has been walking ahead of the others this last leg of the trip, and kept her bow strung, Bor would have a fit, but she didn't trust these roads.

Still, with the outpost in sight she slackened slightly and started to fall back with the others. At the mention of a story she smiles, but doesn't speak, allowing the chelaxian the chance to tell it or decline.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Konrad has to resist the urge to growl or grind his teeth any more than since first he and his three 'companions' departed Restov. 'With such companions as these, I may yet be prevailed upon to join up with whatever outlaws and brigands we might encounter.' He muses, slowing the pace of his steed Harbinger, enough that the mighty destrier's annoyance at so slothful a pace now mirrored his own. Sitting tall in the saddle, armored in his breastplate, gauntlets and greaves, he fairly towered like some shadowed tower mid morning light, the matte finish of his armor not serving so well to catch or reflect the light as deaden it. Even over happy drunk of a cleric and his own steed (whom Harbinger had likely 5 stones on), did Konrad sit, high in his saddle, as befit a personage of his station and rank, yet he could not imagine enjoying the company of any of Brevoy's own highborn lords and ladies than these. He had only just grown accustomed to Zarus perhaps a week ago, following the encounter which they were now badgering him to relate, but his fellow Chelish traveler's propensity for idle talk and caustic jibes had been well renewed around the boisterous and grossly jubilant Maximus. The half-elven woman had kept to herself at least, but her tendency to range ahead and a certain furtive manner of checking back and around them ground on his nerves just enough to make him as wary of her as she seemed to be of everyone.

Solenia had been no help at all, but it was his feelings towards her he was least sure of. She seemed, as much as he did, on the surface to be content simply to engage in this mutual venture for what it was, and clearly retained her feelings towards virtue in strength, but all the same, she was a woman, and Konrad's only other dealings with women had convinced him more surely than anything that their workings were myriad and alien. In Westcrown, he had not so much entertained the affections of some young ladies and women of the courts as he had endured them, and considered the most enjoyable of them to be the ones which had ended in duels with jealous suitors (and one husband), and hardly understood why so much should be made of something as trivial as sharing one's bed. Solenia though . . . she was highborn, like himself, and they had shared many of the same notions of leaving their respective families on some grand adventure when first they met, and now it might be seen that they were doing just that, but Konrad was older and wiser enough now to know better, and suspected the same of her. Whatever youthful exuberance they had shared was past, and this was no child's flight of fancy but a true test of their respective mettle. He only wished she might seem to treat it with the same sobriety he had managed thus far in their last leg towards the trading post.

"Tisn't much of a story." Konrad said, aloud, looking down from Zarus, narrowing his eyes slightly at Max's happy beaming, and then finally landing on Solenia, before he sighed and turned his eyes back on the road. "Zarus and I had been traveling for weeks since leaving Cheliax, with more than a few others; part of a short wagon train with merchants, tinkers, and the like. I'd barely been able to stand the pompous mage since I first set eyes on him, boasting and bragging and constantly using his talents for the most mundane of tasks and petty tricks." Continuing as he did, Konrad couldn't help but let a smirk creep onto his features, reflecting on how much was true and how much was embellishment of his and Zarus's meeting. "And here I'd just gotten away from all the posturing and politicking of the courts of Westcrown. I though Zarus was some kind of curse leveled upon me for forsaking the Hellknights, or worse, an agent of the Inquisition meant to incite and entrap me, but soon I came to realize he was just the pompous ass we now travel with. I can only imagine he thought much the same of me, of course."
    'I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.'

11. - Top - End - #11

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by LordHavelock View Post
    "Tisn't much of a story." Konrad said, aloud, looking down from Zarus, narrowing his eyes slightly at Max's happy beaming, and then finally landing on Solenia, before he sighed and turned his eyes back on the road. "Zarus and I had been traveling for weeks since leaving Cheliax, with more than a few others; part of a short wagon train with merchants, tinkers, and the like. I'd barely been able to stand the pompous mage since I first set eyes on him, boasting and bragging and constantly using his talents for the most mundane of tasks and petty tricks." Continuing as he did, Konrad couldn't help but let a smirk creep onto his features, reflecting on how much was true and how much was embellishment of his and Zarus's meeting. "And here I'd just gotten away from all the posturing and politicking of the courts of Westcrown. I though Zarus was some kind of curse leveled upon me for forsaking the Hellknights, or worse, an agent of the Inquisition meant to incite and entrap me, but soon I came to realize he was just the pompous ass we now travel with. I can only imagine he thought much the same of me, of course."

Solenia grinned and winked at Konrad, letting him know she is just being playful. She was surprised at herself. She was enjoying getting out of her own forest to explore someplace new. She had a pattern of a man's face made of leaves imprinted on the chest of her leather armor, signifying to those who knew, that she was of the Green Faith. She had grown obviously more confident than the last time the two had met.

She wasn't totally sure what to think of the cleric yet. He seemed talkative. Konrad's description of Zarus seemed generally accurate. The half-elf was interesting. Quiet, and obviously strong and agile. Solenia respected that about her. She also appreciated what the other woman was doing, being the scout for the group.

It was odd for her to be around so many people. Solenia had grown used to the solitude in the forest, but it was nice to be around people who were not the village people she usually spoke with. She still found moments here and there of quiet throughout the days to just think about the teachings Chura showed her. She found comfort in those memories. She hadn't seen her master in a long while. Solenia missed her, but now's not the time to dwell on that.

12. - Top - End - #12

Zarus chuckled at the fighting man's embellished and terrible description of him as a person. There wasn't even that much to say about the entire thing. He took the mug from Max's hand, and swig, feeling reinvigorated by the warm and bubbly liquid that seemed to coarsely flow down his throat.

"Of course, Konrad was even worse, but in the other direction. Spent the entirety of the trip here making terrible jokes that made me wanna commit suicide, while also going on and on and on about how his skills were so great and how real men wore armor and wielded real weapons. Unfortunately, this made him daft as a rock. So it was pretty easy to play around with him, with a bunch of illusions. But the man has his upsides, like how he can continuously drink so much of our ale reserve! Or was that the barbarian... or magus? Whatever that guy was, who did it? Not quite sure."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

"That puffed-up, swaggering, peacock of a lordling ponce from Absalom?" Konrad practically growled at the mention of the fellow traveler, apparently not much caring for Zarus's commentary on Konrad's propensity for consuming ale. Konrad enjoyed drinking to be sure, but never so much as the likes of Maxwell apparently enjoyed being drunk. Nor nearly as much as the ponce in question had the night Zarus and Konrad had grown to respect rather than revile one another. It was true enough that Konrad was the type to prefer strength at arms as a truer test of might and mettle, but he knew and respected magic to have it's place in this world (though to his mind, that was ideally in the enchanting of arms and armor for warriors such as himself).

"He's the one who makes the tale worth telling though. This right self-righteous knave insists we press on one evening, saying it'll be safer to camp up the road given the number of bandits in the area. Low and behold we find ourselves trapped in this ditch between hillocks come sunset, precisely as this blaggard intended, for his own band of brigands to ambush us."
    Last edited by LordHavelock; 2014-06-23 at 01:43 PM.
    'I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.'

14. - Top - End - #14

Zarus nodded in agreement with Konrad, and then took one more swig, downing the ale in a single go. His mind fumblingly went back to the time, and his memories seemed perfect. "The bloody wanker went and nearly got us killed, but long story short, we fought them off, and sent the bugger limping away. Shame we didn't get to kill him, but I'm sure we'll get to meet him again sometime. if we do, grab him, letting Konrad go at him is my plan. After I throw a Dire Rat at his face, of course."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Oleg's Trading Post
    Show

Spoiler: Oleg and Svetlana
    Show

As the group nears the outpost, the smell of cooking meat starts to waft along the breeze. In seemingly no time at all, they pass through the gate and enter the trading post. To their immediate left stands a stable building holding a single horse. Opposite the gate stands a small wooden pavilion covering a gated area, which contains a modest pile of skins and other trade goods. Behind the pavilion a couple of grates cover small pits. To the right stand two buildings facing each other. Between the buildings, there are two long tables flanking a cooking fire, which currently holds a large iron pot being tended by a just-this-side-of-middle-age human woman. The interior of the walls have a raised platform that would allow a human-sized creature to see over the walls.

The woman looks up as the group passes the gate, her face lighting up as she sees them, "Oleg! Oleg, honey, they're here!"

From atop the building to the northeast, a grizzled human man looks down at the group and nods.

The woman approaches, cleaning her hands on her apron before extending one to the group, "Hi there. You must be the group who's here to map the area and help us out, right? I'm Svetlana. My husband, Oleg, will be down in a moment. Please, sit. I've got some stew made, and some bread. Some wine, if you'd like..."

Sure enough, a plate of hit bread sits on the table, and the pot leaks out the smell of hearty stew just waiting to be eaten.
    Last edited by Odentin; 2014-06-23 at 07:33 PM.
    -Odentin

Odentin: Wait. Weren't we going to stop off in the capital and murder the emperor?

16. - Top - End - #16

AssassinGuy

The smell of warm food and the offer of wine brightens up Max's day. He quickly moves to stable his horse, then rushes over to sit at the table.

"Thank you kindly, ma'am. We are indeed the group sent to map these lands. I am Max Alehouse, friendly cleric of Cayden. I'd introduce my travelling compaions, but they seem a bit grouchy from our travel here. Also, if it wouldn't be to much trouble, I'd like some wine with this delicous smelling meal. "

17. - Top - End - #17

While the woman introduced herself, Solenia glanced around the outpost, checking for easy escape routes, things piled against a wall, vines growing up or over, things like that. As she finished her cursory look over; Max finished his introduction. She faced the woman spoke with a nod, "I am Solenia."
    Last edited by Xunthrae; 2014-06-24 at 12:04 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Zarus, mug still in hand, waved at them, and attempted to get off his summoned beast. Grabbing the edges of the left side of the saddle, he lifted one leg, brought it to the other side, then jumped off. He took his backpack off the side horse, and dragged it in one hand, with some slight difficulty.

The woman, who was definitely Oleg's wife, seemed sweet enough, while the man himself, Oleg, looked like a thunderously powerful man, with a magnificent beard. He walked forward towards the table, bowed, and remembering his manners unlike Max, and said "Thank you for the reception, I am Zarus Deverin, from Cheliax. I hope to not inconvenience you in our stay here."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

There are two ladders leading up to the raised walkway. From there it wouldn't be difficult to leap over the walls (though the sharpened tops and ten foot fall may not be pleasant). Svetlana grabs a metal stein and a bottle of wine and pours some for Max as he stables his horse. On the return trip, Oleg crosses his path and grunts out, "It'll be two silver to use the stable for the night."

Svetlana smiles at Zarus and gives a slight bow of the head in return, "Oh, of course not. I mean, you're all here to help us, after all." While she speaks, she ladles out bowls of stew for anyone who sits down and doesn't explicitly decline one. The stew is thick and hearty, made of venison and root vegetables, and rather delicious for such a rustic meal.
    Last edited by Odentin; 2014-06-24 at 11:17 AM.
    -Odentin

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Odentin View Post
    There are two ladders leading up to the raised walkway. From there it wouldn't be difficult to leap over the walls (though the sharpened tops and ten foot fall may not be pleasant). Svetlana grabs a metal stein and a bottle of wine and pours some for Max as he stables his horse. On the return trip, Oleg crosses his path and grunts out, "It'll be two silver to use the stable for the night."

Svetlana smiles at Zarus and gives a slight bow of the head in return, "Oh, of course not. I mean, you're all here to help us, after all." While she speaks, she ladles out bowls of stew for anyone who sits down and doesn't explicitly decline one. The stew is thick and hearty, made of venison and root vegetables, and rather delicious for such a rustic meal.
    Zarus looks back at his horse, and said "Ah, I think I won't be needing the stables." He waited for six seconds, with impatience, until the horse began to fade back to where he summoned it from. He looked back at Svetlana, and graciously accepted the food, and sat down to eat.
    Last edited by TachyonBlade; 2014-06-24 at 11:29 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Konrad nods magnanimously in response to the woman's greeting, and her offer of food and wine, but does not himself speak until he has already ridden in and made something of a show, dismounting steadily despite the weight of his armor and weapons. Removing his riding gloves and swordbelt, he slings them in a bundle over his shoulder before patting down Harbinger, "Your hospitality is a welcome comfort after the road." speaks the Chelish knight, his accent thick enough to mark him from Westcrown, especially to those familiar with the Chelaxian Peninsula. "I am Sir Konrad Rothmann." and while his tone conveys the proper courtesy of a guest, nothing can be done to hide the haughty gaze with which he regards the rather pedestrian 'outpost'. Scornful himself of too much in the way of luxuries and extravagance, he is not so much dismissive of his evaluation of the outpost, as realistic in that it was built by and meant for the accommodation of the peasantry, but the signs of repair where Oleg has no doubt been putting his own skills and mettle to work in improving not only his home, but his homestead garners more respect from the young armitage than he might initially show. 'There is strength required to endure the constant toil of honest work, subtle, continual, and necessary.' His final master-at-arms had taught him, 'Many of high birth, focus on strength of the arm the better to wield the sword, scepter, or the lash, and too readily dismiss the strength required to till and plow which comes from a strong center, foundation, and back. You will know who is stronger not from a single strike or blow, but from who remains after ten, a hundred, or a thousand repeated trials.'

Oleg and his wife clearly had much strength to be making a livelihood for themselves out here, and Konrad could respect that, but it was none-the-more comprehensible to him how anyone could prefer such a life to the exhilaration of triumph at arms. Moving to the stables, he made a curt nod to Oleg, clearly not one for idle chatter (much like himself) and dove into his coinpurse for a full gold piece. "A down payment." He said, offering the coin to Oleg without further comment or his previous arrogance; matters of coin and exchange being a separate matter entirely for the cavalier.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Adula sat at the table and dug into the stew, refusing the wine if it was offered. Adula was painfully aware that she no longer carried a coin purse, just two coppers in her belt pouch. She could have come with more, but she had insisted on paying Bor all he was owed before leaving... which left her nothing.

But Sveltlava hadn't mentioned a price for the food, therefore Adula had grounds to refuse payment if it was demanded. Worst came to worst she would offer her services as a watchman for the deepest part of the night in exchange for the food.

The outpost itself had lived up to what she expected when she first saw it on the road. The first question she had, she left like a dead rat at the side of the road. Clearly the outpost was home to Oleg, Sveltlava, and maybe two others if they were fortunate. That left them with few to defend against possible attacks. Which gave her a clue as to what Oleg and Sveltlava needed help with.

"Bandits?"

She asked, her stew bowl emptied within moments of sitting down to the table. Those who had watched her eat were reminded of a ravenous boar, though she had shown no signs of being hungry on the road. A sleeve went across her mouth when she was finished and it was as if the stew was never there.

Truth was, she wasn't hungry at all, that was how she ate.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Oleg takes the gold piece with a nod, and moves into the stables to care for the horses; removing their saddles and bringing them feed and water. Though not a knight, he moves with the deliberate purpose of one who has worked with animals most of his life.

Svetlana nods to Adula, "Yes. Just like we told the Swordlords. What all did they tell you, so I can fill in the blanks?"
    -Odentin

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

"Little. Just that there was increased bandit activity in the area."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Svetlana's face contorts for a moment, passing between looks of realization, fear, and sadness. Near the stables, Oleg throw his hands in the air and begins pacing, "Oh, that's just fμcking typical! Those ąssholes can't get their sh¡t together!" He continues muttering and pacing angrily while Svetlana takes over, "Oh...oh no. Please, they told us you could help us. We thought they told you..."

She looks away for a moment, trying to hold back the tears appearing in the corners of her eyes, "Please. Th...they'll be back tomorrow. Will you help us, please? I'll...I'll give you a free room for the night..."

Oleg's head snaps to look at his wife when she offers this, but seeing her distraught face, turns back without speaking up against the offer.
    -Odentin

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

"The charter only mentions bandits in generalities, what little we know of increase banditry at all comes more from rumor than any details given by the Sword Lords. Likely they did not wish to give credence to such talk, nor confirm their inability to properly patrol these lands." Korwin said as he took his seat, comfortable speaking ill of the sword lords in such a casual tone, and more than willing to attribute to them the same petty politicking of the courtiers of Westcrown, whatever reputation they had for more martial pursuits besides. "Regardless, if you have more information on these brigands, we will be that much better equipped to rid you of them."

Tucking in to his own stew, he makes eye-contact briefly with Zarus, and then Solenia before turning his attention back to Svetlana between bites. The warm and hearty meal is indeed a welcome break from the dry and more often than not cold trail food they had enjoyed on their journey.

Once it is revealed however that the bandits will be back, he sits up and narrows his brow towards them. "You mean to say they've been here? For what, room and board like us? Perhaps you should start at the beginning, when and how did you first encounter them? And why should you expect them back tomorrow?"
    Last edited by LordHavelock; 2014-06-24 at 12:43 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Svetlana takes a few deep breaths, calming herself. Oleg walks over and sits next to her and places an arm around her for comfort.

"Three months ago, a group of bandits showed up. They demanded we hand over all of the goods we'd accumulated, or they'd burn down the post and take me and..." The words catch in her throat, and a grimace crosses her face, "They've been back twice since. Always on the first day of the month, always an hour or so after sunrise. They come, they take what we have, and they leave. We sent word to Restov for guards, and they said they're sending a group, but it'll be a couple more days before they arrive."

Oleg grunts and takes over, "First time, there were twelve of 'em. There was one, a woman, she was their leader. Vile woman. Nearly took my hand off with one of her axes. She hasn't shown up since, leaves the other one to lead them here.

Svetlana nods, "Yeah. Each of the past two months, its just been the other leader. He always wears a hood and carries a bow. He's disgusting. But each time, there's been less men with him. Second trip, there was just six men with him, last month it was just four. They come in, load up, and take off as quick as they can. I bet they have a camp about a day's ride from here. I'm just hoping the hatchet woman isn't with them tomorrow..."
    -Odentin

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Adula stands, and shrugs as if to say 'we were hired to secure the land anyway,' but instead says "I'll be back shortly."

Wordless, she climbs up the ladder to the raised walkway and walks the circumference. Searching for blinds, or anything that one could use to keep an eye on the outpost without themselves being seen.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception (1d20+10)[18]

Then take 20 if the roll is below a 15

29. - Top - End - #29

Zarus grimaced as he stared into Konrad's eyes, and then looked back at the sweet, yet distraught woman. He wasn't gonna have this going on, no way in the nine hells would he allow anyone indict terror and treat anyone like this. He knew the feeling, of helplessness and inability, and seeing it being wrought upon any innocents and the powerless seemed to spark a fire of retribution in him.

"Ma'am, no need for anything to be made paid. Even if my friends do accept your kind offer, I refuse to. I will pay the price, all on my own if I have to. These bandits will be dealt with, and if they think they're going to have their greedy and cruel ways with anyone, they shall find this place wanting, I promise you that much." he said.

Usually, in case of bandit attacks, he wouldn't have been this upset, but the way the way those bandits had dealt with these kind fellows, and their unusual impositions and methods. He shuddered at the threat those bandits had made to Svetlana, such vileness...

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Konrad listens carefully, his face impassive, but clearly attentive as Svetlana relates the details of the bandits first and subsequent appearances, glancing briefly to Oleg at the mention of the woman leading them and her apparent flair for axe-work. With the tale finished, he is about to begin when Adula's sudden words and quick action give him pause. 'Jumpy', He thinks as she takes a lookout position on the walls, 'Just like I thought.'.

Once Zarus has had his say, he looks back to Oleg and his wife, taking their measure once more, somewhat more skeptical now that he knows they have been putting up with such intolerable tithes made to lawless ruffians. True, they were few and untrained, but there is no excuse for weakness, whatever other reasons they might have for it. "If they are arriving tomorrow, we shall see to it they are dispatched that much sooner." He nods, and looks to Solenia and Maximus for support. "They will not be expecting resistance, so it will be easy to trap them inside the outpost with the gate, at which point we can make ourselves known. Would you stand with us Oleg, Svetlana? Face your persecutors in the eye even if you cannot face them in battle?"
    Last edited by LordHavelock; 2014-06-24 at 01:58 PM.